Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on saccharomyces cerevisiae in Freiburg, Baden Württemberg, Germany
Locale: Freiburg, Baden Württemberg, Germany
Topic: saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Mick D, Wagner K, van der Laan M, Frazier A, Perschil I, Pawlas M, et al. Shy1 couples Cox1 translational regulation to cytochrome c oxidase assembly. EMBO J. 2007;26:4347-58 pubmed..We suggest that Shy1 links Cox1 translational regulation to complex IV assembly and supercomplex formation. ..
- Vögtle F, Wortelkamp S, Zahedi R, Becker D, Leidhold C, Gevaert K, et al. Global analysis of the mitochondrial N-proteome identifies a processing peptidase critical for protein stability. Cell. 2009;139:428-39 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Icp55 is critical for stabilization of the mitochondrial proteome and illustrate how the N-proteome can serve as rich source for a systematic analysis of mitochondrial protein targeting, cleavage and turnover. ..
- Meisinger C, Wiedemann N, Rissler M, Strub A, Milenkovic D, Schönfisch B, et al. Mitochondrial protein sorting: differentiation of beta-barrel assembly by Tom7-mediated segregation of Mdm10. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:22819-26 pubmed..Thus the role of Tom7 is not limited to the TOM complex. Tom7 functions in mitochondrial protein biogenesis by a new mechanism, segregation of a sorting component, leading to a differentiation of beta-barrel assembly. ..
- Becker T, Guiard B, Thornton N, Zufall N, Stroud D, Wiedemann N, et al. Assembly of the mitochondrial protein import channel: role of Tom5 in two-stage interaction of Tom40 with the SAM complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3106-13 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the assembly of newly imported Tom40 is directly initiated at the SAM complex by its association with Tom5. The involvement of Mim1 in Tom40 biogenesis can be largely attributed to its role in import of Tom5. ..
- Brausemann A, Gerhardt S, Schott A, Einsle O, GroÃŸe Berkenbusch A, Johnsson N, et al. Crystal structure of Cdc11, a septin subunit from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Struct Biol. 2016;193:157-161 pubmed publisher..Size exclusion chromatography analysis revealed that Cdc11 forms homodimers through its C-terminal coiled coil tail. ..
- Vögtle F, Prinz C, Kellermann J, Lottspeich F, Pfanner N, Meisinger C. Mitochondrial protein turnover: role of the precursor intermediate peptidase Oct1 in protein stabilization. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2135-43 pubmed publisher..Thus Oct1 converts unstable precursor intermediates generated by MPP into stable mature proteins. ..
- Zimmermann S, Baumann A, Jaekel K, Marbach I, Engelberg D, Frohnmeyer H. UV-responsive genes of arabidopsis revealed by similarity to the Gcn4-mediated UV response in yeast. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:17017-24 pubmed..Expression studies in seedlings revealed that the level of NDPK Ia mRNA, like that of HDH, increases in response to UV-B light. It appears that NDPK Ia and HDH are components of a novel UV-responsive pathway in A. thaliana. ..
- von der Malsburg K, Müller J, Bohnert M, Oeljeklaus S, Kwiatkowska P, Becker T, et al. Dual role of mitofilin in mitochondrial membrane organization and protein biogenesis. Dev Cell. 2011;21:694-707 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that mitofilin is a central component of MINOS and functions as a multifunctional regulator of mitochondrial architecture and protein biogenesis. ..
- Qiu J, Wenz L, Zerbes R, Oeljeklaus S, Bohnert M, Stroud D, et al. Coupling of mitochondrial import and export translocases by receptor-mediated supercomplex formation. Cell. 2013;154:596-608 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals receptor-mediated coupling of import and export translocases as a means of precursor channeling. ..
- Gebert M, Schrempp S, Mehnert C, Heißwolf A, Oeljeklaus S, Ieva R, et al. Mgr2 promotes coupling of the mitochondrial presequence translocase to partner complexes. J Cell Biol. 2012;197:595-604 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Mgr2 is a coupling factor of the presequence translocase crucial for cell growth at elevated temperature and for efficient protein import. ..
- Zi Z, Liebermeister W, Klipp E. A quantitative study of the Hog1 MAPK response to fluctuating osmotic stress in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9522 pubmed publisher..In addition, our work implies that the signaling output can be dynamically controlled by fine-tuning the signal input profiles. ..
- Becker T, Wenz L, Krüger V, Lehmann W, Müller J, Goroncy L, et al. The mitochondrial import protein Mim1 promotes biogenesis of multispanning outer membrane proteins. J Cell Biol. 2011;194:387-95 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the Mim1 complex plays a central role in the import of ?-helical outer membrane proteins with multiple transmembrane segments. ..
- Böttinger L, Guiard B, Oeljeklaus S, Kulawiak B, Zufall N, Wiedemann N, et al. A complex of Cox4 and mitochondrial Hsp70 plays an important role in the assembly of the cytochrome c oxidase. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:2609-19 pubmed publisher..Cox4 arrests at this chaperone complex in the absence of mature complex IV. Thus the mtHsp70-Cox4 complex likely serves as a novel delivery system to channel Cox4 into the assembly line when needed. ..
- Meisinger C, Pfannschmidt S, Rissler M, Milenkovic D, Becker T, Stojanovski D, et al. The morphology proteins Mdm12/Mmm1 function in the major beta-barrel assembly pathway of mitochondria. EMBO J. 2007;26:2229-39 pubmed..We conclude that assembly of mitochondrial beta-barrel proteins represents a major function of the morphology proteins Mdm12/Mmm1. ..
- Major T, von Janowsky B, Ruppert T, Mogk A, Voos W. Proteomic analysis of mitochondrial protein turnover: identification of novel substrate proteins of the matrix protease pim1. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:762-76 pubmed..We could demonstrate that the functional integrity of the Pim1 substrate proteins, in particular, the presence of intact prosthetic groups, had a major influence on the susceptibility to proteolysis. ..
- Vögtle F, Burkhart J, Rao S, Gerbeth C, Hinrichs J, Martinou J, et al. Intermembrane space proteome of yeast mitochondria. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2012;11:1840-52 pubmed publisher..We present here the first and comprehensive proteome of IMS proteins of yeast mitochondria with 51 proteins in total. The IMS proteome will serve as a valuable source for further studies on the role of the IMS in cell life and death. ..
- Kohler F, Storch B, Kulathu Y, Herzog S, Kuppig S, Reth M, et al. A leucine zipper in the N terminus confers membrane association to SLP-65. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:204-10 pubmed..Our data elucidate the mechanism of SLP-65 membrane recruitment and suggest that leucine zipper motifs are essential interaction domains of signaling proteins. ..
- Ziemienowicz A, Haasen D, Staiger D, Merkle T. Arabidopsis transportin1 is the nuclear import receptor for the circadian clock-regulated RNA-binding protein AtGRP7. Plant Mol Biol. 2003;53:201-12 pubmed..These results suggest that the transportin-mediated nuclear import pathway is highly conserved between man, yeast and plants. ..
- Qudeimat E, Faltusz A, Wheeler G, Lang D, Holtorf H, Brownlee C, et al. A PIIB-type Ca2+-ATPase is essential for stress adaptation in Physcomitrella patens. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:19555-60 pubmed publisher..We propose that PCA1 is an essential component for abiotic stress adaptation in Physcomitrella involved in the generation of a specific salt-induced Ca(2+) signature...
- Gebert N, Gebert M, Oeljeklaus S, von der Malsburg K, Stroud D, Kulawiak B, et al. Dual function of Sdh3 in the respiratory chain and TIM22 protein translocase of the mitochondrial inner membrane. Mol Cell. 2011;44:811-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the assembly of Sdh3 with different partner proteins, Sdh4 and Tim18, recruits it to two different mitochondrial membrane complexes with functions in bioenergetics and protein biogenesis, respectively. ..
- Stroud D, Oeljeklaus S, Wiese S, Bohnert M, Lewandrowski U, Sickmann A, et al. Composition and topology of the endoplasmic reticulum-mitochondria encounter structure. J Mol Biol. 2011;413:743-50 pubmed publisher..Taken together, ERMES represents a platform that integrates components with functions in formation of ER-mitochondria junctions, maintenance of mitochondrial morphology, protein biogenesis and calcium binding. ..
- Hirsch H, Suarez Rendueles P, Achstetter T, Wolf D. Aminopeptidase yscII of yeast. Isolation of mutants and their biochemical and genetic analysis. Eur J Biochem. 1988;173:589-98 pubmed..However, the enzyme seems to be involved in the cellular supply of leucine from externally offered leucine-containing dipeptide substrates. ..
- Gerbeth C, Schmidt O, Rao S, Harbauer A, Mikropoulou D, Opalińska M, et al. Glucose-induced regulation of protein import receptor Tom22 by cytosolic and mitochondria-bound kinases. Cell Metab. 2013;18:578-87 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that three kinases regulate the import and assembly of Tom22, demonstrating that the central receptor is a major target for the posttranslational regulation of mitochondrial protein import. ..
- Brix J, Ziegler G, Dietmeier K, Schneider Mergener J, Schulz G, Pfanner N. The mitochondrial import receptor Tom70: identification of a 25 kDa core domain with a specific binding site for preproteins. J Mol Biol. 2000;303:479-88 pubmed..We suggest a model of Tom70 function in import of membrane proteins whereby a hydrophobic preprotein concomitantly interacts with several binding sites of the receptor. ..
- Geissler A, Chacinska A, Truscott K, Wiedemann N, Brandner K, Sickmann A, et al. The mitochondrial presequence translocase: an essential role of Tim50 in directing preproteins to the import channel. Cell. 2002;111:507-18 pubmed..Thus, Tim50 is crucial for guiding the precursors of matrix proteins to their insertion site in the inner membrane. ..
- Rao S, Schmidt O, Harbauer A, Sch nfisch B, Guiard B, Pfanner N, et al. Biogenesis of the preprotein translocase of the outer mitochondrial membrane: protein kinase A phosphorylates the precursor of Tom40 and impairs its import. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:1618-27 pubmed publisher..We conclude that PKA plays a dual role in the regulation of the TOM complex. Phosphorylation by PKA not only impairs the receptor activity of Tom70, but it also inhibits the biogenesis of the channel protein Tom40...
- Sandrock K, Bielek H, Schradi K, Schmidt G, Klugbauer N. The nuclear import of the small GTPase Rac1 is mediated by the direct interaction with karyopherin alpha2. Traffic. 2010;11:198-209 pubmed publisher..Liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) analysis revealed that nuclear Rac1 coimmunoprecipitates with numerous proteins. In the nucleus, Rac1 may participate in a variety of so far uncharacterized processes. ..
- Klug H, Xaver M, Chaugule V, Koidl S, Mittler G, Klein F, et al. Ubc9 sumoylation controls SUMO chain formation and meiotic synapsis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell. 2013;50:625-36 pubmed publisher..Thus, sumoylation of Ubc9 converts an active enzyme into a cofactor and reveals a mechanism for E2 regulation that orchestrates catalytic (Ubc9~SUMO) and noncatalytic (Ubc9(*)SUMO) functions of Ubc9. ..
- Chiabudini M, Conz C, Reckmann F, Rospert S. Ribosome-associated complex and Ssb are required for translational repression induced by polylysine segments within nascent chains. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:4769-79 pubmed publisher..This active role of RAC/Ssb in the quality control of polylysine proteins significantly contributed to the low level of expression of nonstop transcripts in vivo. ..
- Schmidt O, Harbauer A, Rao S, Eyrich B, Zahedi R, Stojanovski D, et al. Regulation of mitochondrial protein import by cytosolic kinases. Cell. 2011;144:227-39 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cytosolic kinases exert stimulatory and inhibitory effects on biogenesis and function of the TOM complex and thus regulate protein import into mitochondria. ..
- Chacinska A, van der Laan M, Mehnert C, Guiard B, Mick D, Hutu D, et al. Distinct forms of mitochondrial TOM-TIM supercomplexes define signal-dependent states of preprotein sorting. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:307-18 pubmed publisher..Depending on the signals of the preproteins, switches between the different forms of supercomplex and TIM23 are required for the completion of preprotein import. ..
- Taskin A, Kucukkose C, Burger N, Mossmann D, Meisinger C, Vögtle F. The novel mitochondrial matrix protease Ste23 is required for efficient presequence degradation and processing. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:997-1002 pubmed publisher..Ste23 and Cym1 tightly cooperate to ensure the correct functioning of the essential presequence processing machinery. ..
- Wiedemann N, van der Laan M, Hutu D, Rehling P, Pfanner N. Sorting switch of mitochondrial presequence translocase involves coupling of motor module to respiratory chain. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1115-22 pubmed..The motor does not assemble en bloc with the translocase but apparently in a step-wise manner with the Pam16/18 module before the Hsp70 core. ..
- Conz C, Otto H, Peisker K, Gautschi M, Wölfle T, Mayer M, et al. Functional characterization of the atypical Hsp70 subunit of yeast ribosome-associated complex. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:33977-84 pubmed..The two domains of this protein thus cooperate in a way that allows for severe interference in either but not in both of them. ..
- Melzer M, Heide L. Characterization of polyprenyldiphosphate: 4-hydroxybenzoate polyprenyltransferase from Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1994;1212:93-102 pubmed..The amino acid sequence shows striking similarities to 4-HB hexaprenyltransferase from yeast. Sequence homologies to other prenyltransferases are discussed. ..
- Zerbes R, HÃ¶ÃŸ P, Pfanner N, van der Laan M, Bohnert M. Distinct Roles of Mic12 and Mic27 in the Mitochondrial Contact Site and Cristae Organizing System. J Mol Biol. 2016;428:1485-92 pubmed publisher..We conclude that in addition to the MICOS core components Mic10 and Mic60, Mic12 and Mic27 play specific roles in the organization of the MICOS complex. ..
- Baptista T, Grünberg S, Minoungou N, Koster M, Timmers H, Hahn S, et al. SAGA Is a General Cofactor for RNA Polymerase II Transcription. Mol Cell. 2017;68:130-143.e5 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that SAGA acts as a general cofactor required for essentially all RNA polymerase II transcription and is not consistent with the previous classification of SAGA- and TFIID-dominated genes. ..
- Bohnert M, Wenz L, Zerbes R, Horvath S, Stroud D, von der Malsburg K, et al. Role of mitochondrial inner membrane organizing system in protein biogenesis of the mitochondrial outer membrane. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:3948-56 pubmed publisher..We conclude that MINOS interacts with TOM and SAM independently and that the core subunit mitofilin is involved in biogenesis of outer membrane ?-barrel proteins. ..
- Zhang Y, Berndt U, Gölz H, Tais A, Oellerer S, Wölfle T, et al. NAC functions as a modulator of SRP during the early steps of protein targeting to the endoplasmic reticulum. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:3027-40 pubmed publisher..The combined data indicate a functional interplay between NAC and SRP on ER-targeted RNCs, which is based on the ability of the two complexes to bind simultaneously to distinct segments of a single nascent chain. ..
- Mossmann D, Meisinger C, Vögtle F. Processing of mitochondrial presequences. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1819:1098-106 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Mitochondrial Gene Expression. ..
- Stroud D, Becker T, Qiu J, Stojanovski D, Pfannschmidt S, Wirth C, et al. Biogenesis of mitochondrial ?-barrel proteins: the POTRA domain is involved in precursor release from the SAM complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2823-33 pubmed publisher..These results indicate the POTRA domain of Sam50 is not essential for recognition of ?-barrel precursors but functions in a subsequent step to promote the release of precursor proteins from the SAM complex. ..
- Förster K, Turina P, Drepper F, Haehnel W, Fischer S, Graber P, et al. Proton transport coupled ATP synthesis by the purified yeast H+ -ATP synthase in proteoliposomes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1797:1828-37 pubmed publisher..The dependence of the turnover on the phosphate concentration and the dependence of K(M) on pH(out) indicated that the substrate for ATP synthesis is the monoanionic phosphate species H?PO??. ..
- Gebert N, Joshi A, Kutik S, Becker T, McKenzie M, Guan X, et al. Mitochondrial cardiolipin involved in outer-membrane protein biogenesis: implications for Barth syndrome. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2133-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a new role for cardiolipin in protein sorting at the mitochondrial outer membrane and bear implications for the pathogenesis of Barth syndrome. ..
- Kutik S, Rissler M, Guan X, Guiard B, Shui G, Gebert N, et al. The translocator maintenance protein Tam41 is required for mitochondrial cardiolipin biosynthesis. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:1213-21 pubmed publisher..The pleiotropic effects of the translocator maintenance protein on preprotein import and respiratory chain can be attributed to its role in biosynthesis of mitochondrial cardiolipin. ..
- Kutik S, Stojanovski D, Becker L, Becker T, Meinecke M, Krüger V, et al. Dissecting membrane insertion of mitochondrial beta-barrel proteins. Cell. 2008;132:1011-24 pubmed publisher..We propose that a two-stage mechanism of signal-driven insertion into a membrane protein complex and subsequent integration into the lipid phase may represent a general mechanism for biogenesis of beta-barrel proteins. ..
- Bömer U, Rassow J, Zufall N, Pfanner N, Meijer M, Maarse A. The preprotein translocase of the inner mitochondrial membrane: evolutionary conservation of targeting and assembly of Tim17. J Mol Biol. 1996;262:389-95 pubmed..The mechanisms of targeting and assembly were indistinguishable between the Tim17s from distinct organisms, indicating a high evolutionary conservation. ..