Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mitochondrial membranes in Freiburg, Baden Württemberg, Germany
Locale: Freiburg, Baden Württemberg, Germany
Topic: mitochondrial membranes
- Bohnert M, Wenz L, Zerbes R, Horvath S, Stroud D, von der Malsburg K, et al. Role of mitochondrial inner membrane organizing system in protein biogenesis of the mitochondrial outer membrane. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:3948-56 pubmed publisher..We conclude that MINOS interacts with TOM and SAM independently and that the core subunit mitofilin is involved in biogenesis of outer membrane ?-barrel proteins. ..
- Rao S, Schmidt O, Harbauer A, Sch nfisch B, Guiard B, Pfanner N, et al. Biogenesis of the preprotein translocase of the outer mitochondrial membrane: protein kinase A phosphorylates the precursor of Tom40 and impairs its import. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:1618-27 pubmed publisher..We conclude that PKA plays a dual role in the regulation of the TOM complex. Phosphorylation by PKA not only impairs the receptor activity of Tom70, but it also inhibits the biogenesis of the channel protein Tom40...
- von der Malsburg K, Müller J, Bohnert M, Oeljeklaus S, Kwiatkowska P, Becker T, et al. Dual role of mitofilin in mitochondrial membrane organization and protein biogenesis. Dev Cell. 2011;21:694-707 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that mitofilin is a central component of MINOS and functions as a multifunctional regulator of mitochondrial architecture and protein biogenesis. ..
- Schmidt O, Pfanner N, Meisinger C. Mitochondrial protein import: from proteomics to functional mechanisms. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2010;11:655-67 pubmed publisher..Protein translocases do not function as independent units but are integrated into dynamic networks and are connected to machineries that function in bioenergetics, mitochondrial morphology and coupling to the endoplasmic reticulum. ..
- Milenkovic D, Ramming T, Müller J, Wenz L, Gebert N, Schulze Specking A, et al. Identification of the signal directing Tim9 and Tim10 into the intermembrane space of mitochondria. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2530-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, here we have identified the mitochondrial intermembrane space sorting signal required for delivery of proteins to the mitochondrial intermembrane space. ..
- Mossmann D, Meisinger C, Vögtle F. Processing of mitochondrial presequences. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1819:1098-106 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Mitochondrial Gene Expression. ..
- Gebert N, Gebert M, Oeljeklaus S, von der Malsburg K, Stroud D, Kulawiak B, et al. Dual function of Sdh3 in the respiratory chain and TIM22 protein translocase of the mitochondrial inner membrane. Mol Cell. 2011;44:811-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the assembly of Sdh3 with different partner proteins, Sdh4 and Tim18, recruits it to two different mitochondrial membrane complexes with functions in bioenergetics and protein biogenesis, respectively. ..
- Becker T, Wenz L, Thornton N, Stroud D, Meisinger C, Wiedemann N, et al. Biogenesis of mitochondria: dual role of Tom7 in modulating assembly of the preprotein translocase of the outer membrane. J Mol Biol. 2011;405:113-24 pubmed publisher..Thus, Tom7 modulates the biogenesis of topologically different proteins, the ?-barrel forming protein Tom40 and Tom22 that contains a transmembrane ?-helix. ..
- Vögtle F, Burkhart J, Rao S, Gerbeth C, Hinrichs J, Martinou J, et al. Intermembrane space proteome of yeast mitochondria. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2012;11:1840-52 pubmed publisher..We present here the first and comprehensive proteome of IMS proteins of yeast mitochondria with 51 proteins in total. The IMS proteome will serve as a valuable source for further studies on the role of the IMS in cell life and death. ..
- Kulawiak B, Höpker J, Gebert M, Guiard B, Wiedemann N, Gebert N. The mitochondrial protein import machinery has multiple connections to the respiratory chain. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1827:612-26 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Respiratory complex II: Role in cellular physiology and disease. ..
- Gebert N, Joshi A, Kutik S, Becker T, McKenzie M, Guan X, et al. Mitochondrial cardiolipin involved in outer-membrane protein biogenesis: implications for Barth syndrome. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2133-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a new role for cardiolipin in protein sorting at the mitochondrial outer membrane and bear implications for the pathogenesis of Barth syndrome. ..
- Ziegler C, Finke J, Grüllich C. Features of cell death, mitochondrial activation and caspase dependence of rabbit anti-T-lymphocyte globulin signaling in lymphoblastic Jurkat cells are distinct from classical apoptosis signaling of CD95. Leuk Lymphoma. 2016;57:177-82 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, TLCK massively augmented CD95-induced MMP which could be abrogated by NAC. In conclusion, ATG-signaling differs in features and kinetics from CD95-induced apoptosis with caspase-independent mechanisms involved in MMP. ..
- Kutik S, Stojanovski D, Becker L, Becker T, Meinecke M, Krüger V, et al. Dissecting membrane insertion of mitochondrial beta-barrel proteins. Cell. 2008;132:1011-24 pubmed publisher..We propose that a two-stage mechanism of signal-driven insertion into a membrane protein complex and subsequent integration into the lipid phase may represent a general mechanism for biogenesis of beta-barrel proteins. ..
- Gebert N, Ryan M, Pfanner N, Wiedemann N, Stojanovski D. Mitochondrial protein import machineries and lipids: a functional connection. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1808:1002-11 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Protein translocation across or insertion into membranes. ..
- Mills E, Kelly B, O Neill L. Mitochondria are the powerhouses of immunity. Nat Immunol. 2017;18:488-498 pubmed publisher..These discoveries are revealing mitochondrial targets that could potentially be exploited for therapeutic gain in inflammation and cancer. ..
- Ellenrieder L, Rampelt H, Becker T. Connection of Protein Transport and Organelle Contact Sites in Mitochondria. J Mol Biol. 2017;429:2148-2160 pubmed publisher..Second, several TOM components have been co-opted as ER-mitochondria tethers. We propose that protein import and organelle contact sites are linked to coordinate processes important for mitochondrial biogenesis. ..