Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mitochondrial membrane transport proteins in Freiburg, Baden Württemberg, Germany
Locale: Freiburg, Baden Württemberg, Germany
Topic: mitochondrial membrane transport proteins
- Bömer U, Rassow J, Zufall N, Pfanner N, Meijer M, Maarse A. The preprotein translocase of the inner mitochondrial membrane: evolutionary conservation of targeting and assembly of Tim17. J Mol Biol. 1996;262:389-95 pubmed..The mechanisms of targeting and assembly were indistinguishable between the Tim17s from distinct organisms, indicating a high evolutionary conservation. ..
- Schmidt O, Pfanner N, Meisinger C. Mitochondrial protein import: from proteomics to functional mechanisms. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2010;11:655-67 pubmed publisher..Protein translocases do not function as independent units but are integrated into dynamic networks and are connected to machineries that function in bioenergetics, mitochondrial morphology and coupling to the endoplasmic reticulum. ..
- Chacinska A, van der Laan M, Mehnert C, Guiard B, Mick D, Hutu D, et al. Distinct forms of mitochondrial TOM-TIM supercomplexes define signal-dependent states of preprotein sorting. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:307-18 pubmed publisher..Depending on the signals of the preproteins, switches between the different forms of supercomplex and TIM23 are required for the completion of preprotein import. ..
- Kutik S, Stojanovski D, Becker L, Becker T, Meinecke M, Krüger V, et al. Dissecting membrane insertion of mitochondrial beta-barrel proteins. Cell. 2008;132:1011-24 pubmed publisher..We propose that a two-stage mechanism of signal-driven insertion into a membrane protein complex and subsequent integration into the lipid phase may represent a general mechanism for biogenesis of beta-barrel proteins. ..
- Wiedemann N, van der Laan M, Hutu D, Rehling P, Pfanner N. Sorting switch of mitochondrial presequence translocase involves coupling of motor module to respiratory chain. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1115-22 pubmed..The motor does not assemble en bloc with the translocase but apparently in a step-wise manner with the Pam16/18 module before the Hsp70 core. ..
- Kutik S, Rissler M, Guan X, Guiard B, Shui G, Gebert N, et al. The translocator maintenance protein Tam41 is required for mitochondrial cardiolipin biosynthesis. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:1213-21 pubmed publisher..The pleiotropic effects of the translocator maintenance protein on preprotein import and respiratory chain can be attributed to its role in biosynthesis of mitochondrial cardiolipin. ..
- Brix J, Ziegler G, Dietmeier K, Schneider Mergener J, Schulz G, Pfanner N. The mitochondrial import receptor Tom70: identification of a 25 kDa core domain with a specific binding site for preproteins. J Mol Biol. 2000;303:479-88 pubmed..We suggest a model of Tom70 function in import of membrane proteins whereby a hydrophobic preprotein concomitantly interacts with several binding sites of the receptor. ..
- Geissler A, Chacinska A, Truscott K, Wiedemann N, Brandner K, Sickmann A, et al. The mitochondrial presequence translocase: an essential role of Tim50 in directing preproteins to the import channel. Cell. 2002;111:507-18 pubmed..Thus, Tim50 is crucial for guiding the precursors of matrix proteins to their insertion site in the inner membrane. ..
- Chacinska A, Pfannschmidt S, Wiedemann N, Kozjak V, Sanjuán Szklarz L, Schulze Specking A, et al. Essential role of Mia40 in import and assembly of mitochondrial intermembrane space proteins. EMBO J. 2004;23:3735-46 pubmed..We conclude that Mia40 is a central component of the protein import and assembly machinery of the mitochondrial IMS. ..
- Gerbeth C, Schmidt O, Rao S, Harbauer A, Mikropoulou D, Opalińska M, et al. Glucose-induced regulation of protein import receptor Tom22 by cytosolic and mitochondria-bound kinases. Cell Metab. 2013;18:578-87 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that three kinases regulate the import and assembly of Tom22, demonstrating that the central receptor is a major target for the posttranslational regulation of mitochondrial protein import. ..
- Kulawiak B, Höpker J, Gebert M, Guiard B, Wiedemann N, Gebert N. The mitochondrial protein import machinery has multiple connections to the respiratory chain. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1827:612-26 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Respiratory complex II: Role in cellular physiology and disease. ..
- Böttinger L, Gornicka A, Czerwik T, Bragoszewski P, Loniewska Lwowska A, Schulze Specking A, et al. In vivo evidence for cooperation of Mia40 and Erv1 in the oxidation of mitochondrial proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:3957-69 pubmed publisher..Thus Mia40 in cooperation with Erv1 promotes the formation of two disulfide bonds in the substrate protein, ensuring the efficiency of oxidative folding in the intermembrane space of mitochondria. ..
- Gebert N, Gebert M, Oeljeklaus S, von der Malsburg K, Stroud D, Kulawiak B, et al. Dual function of Sdh3 in the respiratory chain and TIM22 protein translocase of the mitochondrial inner membrane. Mol Cell. 2011;44:811-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the assembly of Sdh3 with different partner proteins, Sdh4 and Tim18, recruits it to two different mitochondrial membrane complexes with functions in bioenergetics and protein biogenesis, respectively. ..
- Meisinger C, Pfannschmidt S, Rissler M, Milenkovic D, Becker T, Stojanovski D, et al. The morphology proteins Mdm12/Mmm1 function in the major beta-barrel assembly pathway of mitochondria. EMBO J. 2007;26:2229-39 pubmed..We conclude that assembly of mitochondrial beta-barrel proteins represents a major function of the morphology proteins Mdm12/Mmm1. ..
- Meisinger C, Wiedemann N, Rissler M, Strub A, Milenkovic D, Schönfisch B, et al. Mitochondrial protein sorting: differentiation of beta-barrel assembly by Tom7-mediated segregation of Mdm10. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:22819-26 pubmed..Thus the role of Tom7 is not limited to the TOM complex. Tom7 functions in mitochondrial protein biogenesis by a new mechanism, segregation of a sorting component, leading to a differentiation of beta-barrel assembly. ..
- Gebert M, Schrempp S, Mehnert C, Heißwolf A, Oeljeklaus S, Ieva R, et al. Mgr2 promotes coupling of the mitochondrial presequence translocase to partner complexes. J Cell Biol. 2012;197:595-604 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Mgr2 is a coupling factor of the presequence translocase crucial for cell growth at elevated temperature and for efficient protein import. ..
- Becker T, Böttinger L, Pfanner N. Mitochondrial protein import: from transport pathways to an integrated network. Trends Biochem Sci. 2012;37:85-91 pubmed publisher..In this Opinion, we propose that mitochondrial protein import should not be seen as an independent task of the organelle and that a network of cooperating machineries is responsible for major mitochondrial functions. ..
- Qiu J, Wenz L, Zerbes R, Oeljeklaus S, Bohnert M, Stroud D, et al. Coupling of mitochondrial import and export translocases by receptor-mediated supercomplex formation. Cell. 2013;154:596-608 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals receptor-mediated coupling of import and export translocases as a means of precursor channeling. ..
- Becker T, Guiard B, Thornton N, Zufall N, Stroud D, Wiedemann N, et al. Assembly of the mitochondrial protein import channel: role of Tom5 in two-stage interaction of Tom40 with the SAM complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3106-13 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the assembly of newly imported Tom40 is directly initiated at the SAM complex by its association with Tom5. The involvement of Mim1 in Tom40 biogenesis can be largely attributed to its role in import of Tom5. ..
- von der Malsburg K, Müller J, Bohnert M, Oeljeklaus S, Kwiatkowska P, Becker T, et al. Dual role of mitofilin in mitochondrial membrane organization and protein biogenesis. Dev Cell. 2011;21:694-707 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that mitofilin is a central component of MINOS and functions as a multifunctional regulator of mitochondrial architecture and protein biogenesis. ..
- Becker T, Wenz L, Krüger V, Lehmann W, Müller J, Goroncy L, et al. The mitochondrial import protein Mim1 promotes biogenesis of multispanning outer membrane proteins. J Cell Biol. 2011;194:387-95 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the Mim1 complex plays a central role in the import of ?-helical outer membrane proteins with multiple transmembrane segments. ..
- Böttinger L, Guiard B, Oeljeklaus S, Kulawiak B, Zufall N, Wiedemann N, et al. A complex of Cox4 and mitochondrial Hsp70 plays an important role in the assembly of the cytochrome c oxidase. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:2609-19 pubmed publisher..Cox4 arrests at this chaperone complex in the absence of mature complex IV. Thus the mtHsp70-Cox4 complex likely serves as a novel delivery system to channel Cox4 into the assembly line when needed. ..
- Milenkovic D, Ramming T, Müller J, Wenz L, Gebert N, Schulze Specking A, et al. Identification of the signal directing Tim9 and Tim10 into the intermembrane space of mitochondria. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2530-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, here we have identified the mitochondrial intermembrane space sorting signal required for delivery of proteins to the mitochondrial intermembrane space. ..