Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on membrane transport proteins in Freiburg, Baden Württemberg, Germany
Locale: Freiburg, Baden Württemberg, Germany
Topic: membrane transport proteins
- Kutik S, Rissler M, Guan X, Guiard B, Shui G, Gebert N, et al. The translocator maintenance protein Tam41 is required for mitochondrial cardiolipin biosynthesis. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:1213-21 pubmed publisher..The pleiotropic effects of the translocator maintenance protein on preprotein import and respiratory chain can be attributed to its role in biosynthesis of mitochondrial cardiolipin. ..
- Rieg S, Huth A, Kalbacher H, Kern W. Resistance against antimicrobial peptides is independent of Escherichia coli AcrAB, Pseudomonas aeruginosa MexAB and Staphylococcus aureus NorA efflux pumps. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2009;33:174-6 pubmed publisher..These findings do not support a critical role of MDR efflux pumps in the tested pathogens as a strategy to increase virulence by circumventing the antimicrobial action of innate defence AMPs. ..
- Panahandeh S, Maurer C, Moser M, DeLisa M, Muller M. Following the path of a twin-arginine precursor along the TatABC translocase of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:33267-75 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results are consistent with some degree of quality control by TatBC and a recruitment of TatA to a folded substrate that has functionally engaged the twin-arginine translocase. ..
- Gebert M, Schrempp S, Mehnert C, Heißwolf A, Oeljeklaus S, Ieva R, et al. Mgr2 promotes coupling of the mitochondrial presequence translocase to partner complexes. J Cell Biol. 2012;197:595-604 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Mgr2 is a coupling factor of the presequence translocase crucial for cell growth at elevated temperature and for efficient protein import. ..
- Kutik S, Stojanovski D, Becker L, Becker T, Meinecke M, Krüger V, et al. Dissecting membrane insertion of mitochondrial beta-barrel proteins. Cell. 2008;132:1011-24 pubmed publisher..We propose that a two-stage mechanism of signal-driven insertion into a membrane protein complex and subsequent integration into the lipid phase may represent a general mechanism for biogenesis of beta-barrel proteins. ..
- Dal Bosco C, Dovzhenko A, Palme K. Intracellular auxin transport in pollen: PIN8, PIN5 and PILS5. Plant Signal Behav. 2012;7:1504-5 pubmed publisher..Although our investigation shed light on intracellular auxin transport in pollen, the physiological function of PIN8 still remains to be elucidated. Here we discuss our data taking in consideration other recent findings. ..
- Bohnert J, Schuster S, Fähnrich E, Trittler R, Kern W. Altered spectrum of multidrug resistance associated with a single point mutation in the Escherichia coli RND-type MDR efflux pump YhiV (MdtF). J Antimicrob Chemother. 2007;59:1216-22 pubmed..This single point mutation in the periplasmic loop of the pump can increase resistance to a given drug such as a fluoroquinolone while decreasing resistance to another one. ..
- Meisinger C, Wiedemann N, Rissler M, Strub A, Milenkovic D, Schönfisch B, et al. Mitochondrial protein sorting: differentiation of beta-barrel assembly by Tom7-mediated segregation of Mdm10. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:22819-26 pubmed..Thus the role of Tom7 is not limited to the TOM complex. Tom7 functions in mitochondrial protein biogenesis by a new mechanism, segregation of a sorting component, leading to a differentiation of beta-barrel assembly. ..
- Alami M, Lüke I, Deitermann S, Eisner G, Koch H, Brunner J, et al. Differential interactions between a twin-arginine signal peptide and its translocase in Escherichia coli. Mol Cell. 2003;12:937-46 pubmed
- Muller M, Klösgen R. The Tat pathway in bacteria and chloroplasts (review). Mol Membr Biol. 2005;22:113-21 pubmed..Current evidence suggests that a functional Tat translocase is assembled from separate TatBC and TatA assemblies only on demand, i.e., in the presence of transport substrate and a transmembrane H+-motive force. ..
- Muller M. Twin-arginine-specific protein export in Escherichia coli. Res Microbiol. 2005;156:131-6 pubmed..Whereas TatC proteins function in the specific recognition of substrate, TatA might be the major pore-forming subunit. ..
- Meisinger C, Pfannschmidt S, Rissler M, Milenkovic D, Becker T, Stojanovski D, et al. The morphology proteins Mdm12/Mmm1 function in the major beta-barrel assembly pathway of mitochondria. EMBO J. 2007;26:2229-39 pubmed..We conclude that assembly of mitochondrial beta-barrel proteins represents a major function of the morphology proteins Mdm12/Mmm1. ..
- Holzschuh J, Ryu S, Aberger F, Driever W. Dopamine transporter expression distinguishes dopaminergic neurons from other catecholaminergic neurons in the developing zebrafish embryo. Mech Dev. 2001;101:237-43 pubmed..Neurons expressing th but not dat are adrenergic or noradrenergic, and are found in the locus coeruleus, the medulla, the likely analog of the carotid body, and precursors of the enteric and sympathetic nervous system. ..
- Reichelt M, von Specht B, Hahn H. The Caulobacter crescentus outer membrane protein Omp58 (RsaF) is not required for paracrystalline S-layer secretion. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2001;201:277-83 pubmed..crescentus surface-layer export system. ..
- Chacinska A, Pfannschmidt S, Wiedemann N, Kozjak V, Sanjuán Szklarz L, Schulze Specking A, et al. Essential role of Mia40 in import and assembly of mitochondrial intermembrane space proteins. EMBO J. 2004;23:3735-46 pubmed..We conclude that Mia40 is a central component of the protein import and assembly machinery of the mitochondrial IMS. ..
- Rose P, Fröbel J, Graumann P, Muller M. Substrate-dependent assembly of the Tat translocase as observed in live Escherichia coli cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69488 pubmed publisher..Our collective results are consistent with distinct Tat translocation sites dynamically forming in vivo in response to newly synthesized Tat substrates. ..
- Weise A, Lalonde S, K hn C, Frommer W, Ward J. Introns control expression of sucrose transporter LeSUT1 in trichomes, companion cells and in guard cells. Plant Mol Biol. 2008;68:251-62 pubmed publisher..The combination of all introns is required for the full expression pattern in phloem, guard cells and trichomes...
- Wiedemann N, van der Laan M, Hutu D, Rehling P, Pfanner N. Sorting switch of mitochondrial presequence translocase involves coupling of motor module to respiratory chain. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1115-22 pubmed..The motor does not assemble en bloc with the translocase but apparently in a step-wise manner with the Pam16/18 module before the Hsp70 core. ..
- Moser M, Panahandeh S, Holzapfel E, Muller M. In vitro analysis of the bacterial twin-arginine-dependent protein export. Methods Mol Biol. 2007;390:63-79 pubmed..This system has proven useful and is being further exploited for the study of precursor-translocase interactions, assembly of the translocase, and the mechanism of transmembrane passage. ..
- Wenger C, Oeljeklaus S, Warscheid B, Schneider A, Harsman A. A trypanosomal orthologue of an intermembrane space chaperone has a non-canonical function in biogenesis of the single mitochondrial inner membrane protein translocase. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006550 pubmed publisher..Thus, the trypanosomal small Tims play an unexpected and essential role in the biogenesis of the single TIM complex, which for one of them is not linked to import of TbTim17. ..
- Gebert N, Joshi A, Kutik S, Becker T, McKenzie M, Guan X, et al. Mitochondrial cardiolipin involved in outer-membrane protein biogenesis: implications for Barth syndrome. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2133-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a new role for cardiolipin in protein sorting at the mitochondrial outer membrane and bear implications for the pathogenesis of Barth syndrome. ..
- Maurer C, Panahandeh S, Moser M, Muller M. Impairment of twin-arginine-dependent export by seemingly small alterations of substrate conformation. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:2849-53 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests that even incomplete folding of a substrate can interfere with transport by the Tat translocase of Escherichia coli. ..
- Bömer U, Rassow J, Zufall N, Pfanner N, Meijer M, Maarse A. The preprotein translocase of the inner mitochondrial membrane: evolutionary conservation of targeting and assembly of Tim17. J Mol Biol. 1996;262:389-95 pubmed..The mechanisms of targeting and assembly were indistinguishable between the Tim17s from distinct organisms, indicating a high evolutionary conservation. ..
- Ganas P, Mihasan M, Igloi G, Brandsch R. A two-component small multidrug resistance pump functions as a metabolic valve during nicotine catabolism by Arthrobacter nicotinovorans. Microbiology. 2007;153:1546-55 pubmed publisher..NepAB may function as a metabolic valve by exporting methylamine, the end product of nicotine catabolism, and, in conditions under which it accumulates, the intermediate gamma-N-methylaminobutyrate...
- Deitermann S, Sprie G, Koch H. A dual function for SecA in the assembly of single spanning membrane proteins in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:39077-85 pubmed..This could suggest that single and multiple spanning membrane proteins are processed differently by the bacterial SecY translocon. ..
- Geissler A, Chacinska A, Truscott K, Wiedemann N, Brandner K, Sickmann A, et al. The mitochondrial presequence translocase: an essential role of Tim50 in directing preproteins to the import channel. Cell. 2002;111:507-18 pubmed..Thus, Tim50 is crucial for guiding the precursors of matrix proteins to their insertion site in the inner membrane. ..
- Koch H, Muller M. Dissecting the translocase and integrase functions of the Escherichia coli SecYEG translocon. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:689-94 pubmed..In addition, the experimental setup used here enabled us to demonstrate that SRP-dependent integration of a multispanning protein into membrane vesicles leads to a biologically active enzyme. ..