Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on brain in Heidelberg, Baden Württemberg, Germany
Locale: Heidelberg, Baden Württemberg, Germany
Publications149 found, 100 shown here
- Reimold I, Domke D, Bender J, Seyfried C, Radunz H, Fricker G. Delivery of nanoparticles to the brain detected by fluorescence microscopy. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2008;70:627-32 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that surface-coated PBCA nanoparticles are able to cross the blood-brain barrier and to serve as a drug-delivery system to the central nervous system. ..
- Zweckberger K, Simunovic F, Kiening K, Unterberg A, Sakowitz O. Anticonvulsive effects of the dopamine agonist lisuride maleate after experimental traumatic brain injury. Neurosci Lett. 2010;470:150-4 pubmed publisher..Overall, lisuride seems to have significant anticonvulsive effects but seems not to influence secondary brain damage in this experimental model. ..
- Kury S, van Woerden G, Besnard T, Proietti Onori M, Latypova X, Towne M, et al. De Novo Mutations in Protein Kinase Genes CAMK2A and CAMK2B Cause Intellectual Disability. Am J Hum Genet. 2017;101:768-788 pubmed publisher..Our data establish the importance of CAMK2A and CAMK2B and their auto-phosphorylation in human brain function and expand the phenotypic spectrum of the disorders caused by variants in key players of the glutamatergic signaling pathway. ..
- Orakcioglu B, Becker K, Sakowitz O, Herweh C, Kohrmann M, Huttner H, et al. MRI of the perihemorrhagic zone in a rat ICH model: effect of hematoma evacuation. Neurocrit Care. 2008;8:448-55 pubmed publisher..Recently, ischemic changes in the perihemorrhagic zone (PHZ) have been discussed as a potential source of secondary damage. In this study, we focussed on diffusion and perfusion characteristics of experimental ICH...
- Capper D, Mittelbronn M, Goeppert B, Meyermann R, Schittenhelm J. Secreted protein, acidic and rich in cysteine (SPARC) expression in astrocytic tumour cells negatively correlates with proliferation, while vascular SPARC expression is associated with patient survival. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2010;36:183-97 pubmed publisher..While there is no association between the level of SPARC in the tumour cells and patient survival, increased tumour vascular SPARC expression is associated with decreased patient survival. ..
- Horstmann H, Vasileva M, Kuner T. Photooxidation-guided ultrastructural identification and analysis of cells in neuronal tissue labeled with green fluorescent protein. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64764 pubmed publisher..Thus, we introduce a generally applicable correlative approach for the identification of presynaptic terminals genetically labeled with green fluorescent proteins in tissue slices and their ultrastructural characterization. ..
- Vocke K, Dauner K, Hahn A, Ulbrich A, Broecker J, Keller S, et al. Calmodulin-dependent activation and inactivation of anoctamin calcium-gated chloride channels. J Gen Physiol. 2013;142:381-404 pubmed publisher..These results advance the understanding of Ca(2+) regulation in anoctamin Cl(-) channels and its significance for the physiological function that anoctamin channels subserve in neurons and other cell types. ..
- Mielke E, Neukel C, Bertsch K, Reck C, Möhler E, Herpertz S. Maternal sensitivity and the empathic brain: Influences of early life maltreatment. J Psychiatr Res. 2016;77:59-66 pubmed publisher..Thus, findings suggest possible coping strategies of mother with ELM to prevent an intergenerational transmission of abuse. ..
- García González D, Khodosevich K, Watanabe Y, Rollenhagen A, Lübke J, Monyer H. Serotonergic Projections Govern Postnatal Neuroblast Migration. Neuron. 2017;94:534-549.e9 pubmed publisher..We speculate that serotonergic modulation of postnatally generated neuroblast migration is evolutionarily conserved as indicated by the presence of serotonergic axons in migratory paths in other vertebrates. ..
- Hartmann B, Ahmadi S, Heppenstall P, Lewin G, Schott C, Borchardt T, et al. The AMPA receptor subunits GluR-A and GluR-B reciprocally modulate spinal synaptic plasticity and inflammatory pain. Neuron. 2004;44:637-50 pubmed
- Gakhar Koppole N, Hundeshagen P, Mandl C, Weyer S, Allinquant B, Müller U, et al. Activity requires soluble amyloid precursor protein alpha to promote neurite outgrowth in neural stem cell-derived neurons via activation of the MAPK pathway. Eur J Neurosci. 2008;28:871-82 pubmed publisher..In summary, these experiments indicate a novel role of APP family members in activity-dependent neuronal differentiation...
- Nanguneri S, Flottmann B, Horstmann H, Heilemann M, Kuner T. Three-dimensional, tomographic super-resolution fluorescence imaging of serially sectioned thick samples. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38098 pubmed publisher..This method allows multiplexed super-resolution imaging in large tissue volumes with a resolution three orders of magnitude better than confocal microscopy. ..
- Straniero L, Guella I, Cilia R, Parkkinen L, Rimoldi V, Young A, et al. DNAJC12 and dopa-responsive nonprogressive parkinsonism. Ann Neurol. 2017;82:640-646 pubmed publisher..Ann Neurol 2017;82:640-646. ..
- Bruzzone R, Hormuzdi S, Barbe M, Herb A, Monyer H. Pannexins, a family of gap junction proteins expressed in brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:13644-9 pubmed
- Herrlinger U, Jones D, Glas M, Hattingen E, Gramatzki D, Stuplich M, et al. Gliomatosis cerebri: no evidence for a separate brain tumor entity. Acta Neuropathol. 2016;131:309-319 pubmed publisher..These data support the removal of GC as a distinct glioma entity in the upcoming revision of the WHO classification. ..
- Kaestner K, Schutz G, Monaghan A. Expression of the winged helix genes fkh-4 and fkh-5 defines domains in the central nervous system. Mech Dev. 1996;55:221-30 pubmed..5 centiMorgans (cM) and fkh-4 to chromosome 19 at 10.5 cM. The potential relationship of the two genes to the mouse mutations staggerer and small thymus (for fkh-5) and muscle deficient (for fkh-4) is discussed. ..
- Tronche F, Kellendonk C, Kretz O, Gass P, Anlag K, Orban P, et al. Disruption of the glucocorticoid receptor gene in the nervous system results in reduced anxiety. Nat Genet. 1999;23:99-103 pubmed..Conditional mutagenesis of Gr in the nervous system provides genetic evidence for the importance of Gr signalling in emotional behaviour because mutant animals show an impaired behavioural response to stress and display reduced anxiety. ..
- Kolker S, Hoffmann G, Schor D, Feyh P, Wagner L, Jeffrey I, et al. Glutaryl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency: region-specific analysis of organic acids and acylcarnitines in post mortem brain predicts vulnerability of the putamen. Neuropediatrics. 2003;34:253-60 pubmed
- Thuret S, Alavian K, Gassmann M, Lloyd C, Smits S, Smidt M, et al. The neuregulin receptor, ErbB4, is not required for normal development and adult maintenance of the substantia nigra pars compacta. J Neurochem. 2004;91:1302-11 pubmed..Finally, an assessment of their motor function revealed no behavioral deficits. The apparent lack of any mutant phenotype suggests the presence of a strong compensatory mechanism. ..
- Huttner H, Steiner T, Hartmann M, Kohrmann M, Juettler E, Mueller S, et al. Comparison of ABC/2 estimation technique to computer-assisted planimetric analysis in warfarin-related intracerebral parenchymal hemorrhage. Stroke. 2006;37:404-8 pubmed..In these cases, hematoma volume is significantly overestimated by the ABC/2 formula. Modification of the denominator to 3 (ie, ABC/3) measured ICH volume more accurately in these patients potentially facilitating treatment decisions. ..
- Sauer S, Okun J, Fricker G, Mahringer A, Muller I, Crnic L, et al. Intracerebral accumulation of glutaric and 3-hydroxyglutaric acids secondary to limited flux across the blood-brain barrier constitute a biochemical risk factor for neurodegeneration in glutaryl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency. J Neurochem. 2006;97:899-910 pubmed..In conclusion, we propose that an intracerebral de novo synthesis and subsequent trapping of GA and 3-OH-GA should be considered as a biochemical risk factor for neurodegeneration in GCDH deficiency. ..
- Siegelin M, Habel A, Gaiser T. 17-AAG sensitized malignant glioma cells to death-receptor mediated apoptosis. Neurobiol Dis. 2009;33:243-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, over-expression of survivin attenuated cytotoxicity induced by the combination of 17-AAG and TRAIL. In summary, survivin is a key regulator of TRAIL-17-AAG mediated cell death in malignant glioma. ..
- Canis M, Maurer M, Kuschinsky W, Duembgen L, Duelli R. Increased densities of monocarboxylate transporter MCT1 after chronic hyperglycemia in rat brain. Brain Res. 2009;1257:32-9 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that MCT1 transporters were up-regulated during chronic hyperglycemia at the level of brain substructures and independently of LCGU. ..
- Hartmann C, Meyer J, Balss J, Capper D, Mueller W, Christians A, et al. Type and frequency of IDH1 and IDH2 mutations are related to astrocytic and oligodendroglial differentiation and age: a study of 1,010 diffuse gliomas. Acta Neuropathol. 2009;118:469-74 pubmed publisher..In addition, patients with anaplastic glioma harboring IDH1 mutations were on average 6 years younger than those without these alterations. ..
- Benkhedah N, Hoffmann S, Biller A, Nagel A. Evaluation of adaptive combination of 30-channel head receive coil array data in 23Na MR imaging. Magn Reson Med. 2016;75:527-36 pubmed publisher..The aim was to optimally combine multichannel coil array data in sodium ((23) Na) MRI...
- Heilig M, Sommer W, Spanagel R. The Need for Treatment Responsive Translational Biomarkers in Alcoholism Research. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 2016;28:151-71 pubmed publisher..We introduce as examples alcohol-induced dopamine (DA) release, measures of central glutamate levels, and network connectivity, and discuss our experience to date with these biomarker strategies. ..
- Orakcioglu B, Sakowitz O, Neumann J, Kentar M, Unterberg A, Kiening K. Evaluation of a novel brain tissue oxygenation probe in an experimental swine model. Neurosurgery. 2010;67:1716-22; discussion 1722-3 pubmed publisher..Further studies are necessary to clarify these differences. It is questionable whether existing knowledge of Licox tissue oxygenation, ie, hypoxic threshold, can be directly transferred to the Neurovent-TO. ..
- Rieker C, Engblom D, Kreiner G, Domanskyi A, Schober A, Stotz S, et al. Nucleolar disruption in dopaminergic neurons leads to oxidative damage and parkinsonism through repression of mammalian target of rapamycin signaling. J Neurosci. 2011;31:453-60 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these observations suggest that the interplay between nucleolar dysfunction and increased oxidative stress, involving p53 and mTOR signaling, may constitute a destructive axis in experimental and sporadic PD. ..
- Coy J, Sedlacek Z, Bächner D, Hameister H, Joos S, Lichter P, et al. Highly conserved 3' UTR and expression pattern of FXR1 points to a divergent gene regulation of FXR1 and FMR1. Hum Mol Genet. 1995;4:2209-18 pubmed..While FMR1 is highly expressed in proliferating spermatogonia, FXR1 is highly expressed in postmeiotic spermatids. ..
- Sprengel R, Suchanek B, Amico C, Brusa R, Burnashev N, Rozov A, et al. Importance of the intracellular domain of NR2 subunits for NMDA receptor function in vivo. Cell. 1998;92:279-89 pubmed..C-terminal truncation of NR2 subunits does not interfere with the formation of gateable receptor channels that can be synaptically activated. Thus, the phenotypes of our mutants appear to reflect defective intracellular signaling. ..
- Niehaus A, Stegmuller J, Diers Fenger M, Trotter J. Cell-surface glycoprotein of oligodendrocyte progenitors involved in migration. J Neurosci. 1999;19:4948-61 pubmed..Polyclonal antibodies directed against the protein reduce the migration of oligodendrocyte progenitor cells. The observations suggest that the AN2 antigen may play a role in early stages of myelination. ..
- Brugger B, Sandhoff R, Wegehingel S, Gorgas K, Malsam J, Helms J, et al. Evidence for segregation of sphingomyelin and cholesterol during formation of COPI-coated vesicles. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:507-18 pubmed..In addition, our data indicate a sorting of individual sphingomyelin molecular species. The possible molecular mechanisms underlying this segregation, as well as implications on COPI function, are discussed. ..
- Casanova E, Fehsenfeld S, Lemberger T, Shimshek D, Sprengel R, Mantamadiotis T. ER-based double iCre fusion protein allows partial recombination in forebrain. Genesis. 2002;34:208-14 pubmed..Unlike in other tissues (Sohal et al., 2001; Tannour-Louet et al., 2002), it appears that in brain, although ERiCreER can bind tamoxifen, the Cre-recombinase cannot be fully activated. ..
- Maurer M, Canis M, Kuschinsky W, Duelli R. Correlation between local monocarboxylate transporter 1 (MCT1) and glucose transporter 1 (GLUT1) densities in the adult rat brain. Neurosci Lett. 2004;355:105-8 pubmed..As local GLUT1 densities reflect local glucose metabolism in the brain, we conclude that local MCT1 densities are adjusted to local glucose metabolism and transport. ..
- Kollmar R, Henninger N, Bardutzky J, Schellinger P, Schäbitz W, Schwab S. Combination therapy of moderate hypothermia and thrombolysis in experimental thromboembolic stroke--an MRI study. Exp Neurol. 2004;190:204-12 pubmed..However, there were no significant differences between the use of rt-PA alone or in combination with hypothermia. Further studies are needed to confirm these effects, also several days after stroke onset. ..
- Moog U, Jones M, Viskochil D, Verloes A, Van Allen M, Dobyns W. Brain anomalies in encephalocraniocutaneous lipomatosis. Am J Med Genet A. 2007;143A:2963-72 pubmed..These data provide evidence that the brain anomalies in ECCL are not primary brain malformations but arise secondary to a mesenchymal defect affecting mostly neural crest derivatives. ..
- Kirsch F, Krüger C, Schneider A. The receptor for granulocyte-colony stimulating factor (G-CSF) is expressed in radial glia during development of the nervous system. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:32 pubmed publisher..Our data imply that in addition to the function of G-CSF and its receptor in adult neurogenesis, this system also has a role in embryonic neurogenesis and nervous system development. ..
- Giesel F, Mehndiratta A, Risse F, Rius M, Zechmann C, von Tengg Kobligk H, et al. Intraindividual comparison between gadopentetate dimeglumine and gadobutrol for magnetic resonance perfusion in normal brain and intracranial tumors at 3 Tesla. Acta Radiol. 2009;50:521-30 pubmed publisher..5 M gadopentetate dimeglumine, particularly with respect to delineation between gray and white matter and for the demarcation of highly vascularized tumor tissue on brain PWI performed at 3T. ..
- Mallm J, Tschäpe J, Hick M, Filippov M, Müller U. Generation of conditional null alleles for APP and APLP2. Genesis. 2010;48:200-6 pubmed publisher..These mice will now allow for tissue and time-point controlled knockout of both genes. ..
- Kiprianova I, Thomas N, Ayache A, Fischer M, Leuchs B, Klein M, et al. Regression of glioma in rat models by intranasal application of parvovirus h-1. Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17:5333-42 pubmed publisher..In view of an ongoing clinical trial on the use of H-1PV for oncolytic virotherapy of glioma, the option of applying the virus intranasally may be a valuable alternative to invasive routes of infection. ..
- Zhou W, Schwarting S, Illanes S, Liesz A, Middelhoff M, Zorn M, et al. Hemostatic therapy in experimental intracerebral hemorrhage associated with the direct thrombin inhibitor dabigatran. Stroke. 2011;42:3594-9 pubmed publisher..The efficacy and safety of this strategy must be further evaluated in clinical studies. ..
- Hirjak D, Wolf R, Paternoga I, Kubera K, Thomann A, Stieltjes B, et al. Neuroanatomical Markers of Neurological Soft Signs in Recent-Onset Schizophrenia and Asperger-Syndrome. Brain Topogr. 2016;29:382-94 pubmed publisher..Pointing towards dissociable neural patterns may help deconstruct the complex processes underlying NSS in these neurodevelopmental disorders. ..
- de Kovel C, Syrbe S, Brilstra E, Verbeek N, Kerr B, Dubbs H, et al. Neurodevelopmental Disorders Caused by De Novo Variants in KCNB1 Genotypes and Phenotypes. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:1228-1236 pubmed publisher..Patients with presumed pathogenic variants in KCNB1 have a variable phenotype. However, the type and position of the variants in the protein are (imperfectly) correlated with the severity of the disorder. ..
- Altamura S, Muckenthaler M. Iron toxicity in diseases of aging: Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and atherosclerosis. J Alzheimers Dis. 2009;16:879-95 pubmed publisher..We will review experimental evidences for an involvement of iron in these diseases and discuss some mouse models with impairment in iron-related genes that may be useful to study the role of iron in these disorders. ..
- Schomacher M, Müller H, Sommer C, Schwab S, Schäbitz W. Endocannabinoids mediate neuroprotection after transient focal cerebral ischemia. Brain Res. 2008;1240:213-20 pubmed publisher..Both endocannabinoids may have the potential to treat acute stroke and exert neuroprotection through a variety of mechanisms. ..
- Peykarjou S, Hoehl S. Three-month-olds' brain responses to upright and inverted faces and cars. Dev Neuropsychol. 2013;38:272-80 pubmed publisher..Moreover, N290 latency was enhanced for inverted faces and cars. This indicates that neural processing may already be partly face-specific in young infants. ..
- Habarou F, Hamel Y, Haack T, Feichtinger R, Lebigot E, Marquardt I, et al. Biallelic Mutations in LIPT2 Cause a Mitochondrial Lipoylation Defect Associated with Severe Neonatal Encephalopathy. Am J Hum Genet. 2017;101:283-290 pubmed publisher..Lipoic acid supplementation did not improve clinical condition nor activities of PDHc, ?-KGDHc, or leucine metabolism in fibroblasts and was ineffective in yeast deleted for the orthologous LIP2. ..
- Kask K, Zamanillo D, Rozov A, Burnashev N, Sprengel R, Seeburg P. The AMPA receptor subunit GluR-B in its Q/R site-unedited form is not essential for brain development and function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:13777-82 pubmed..This constitutes proof in vivo that elevated calcium influx through AMPARs need not generate pathophysiological consequences. ..
- Radbruch A, Mücke J, Schweser F, Deistung A, Ringleb P, Ziener C, et al. Comparison of susceptibility weighted imaging and TOF-angiography for the detection of Thrombi in acute stroke. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63459 pubmed publisher..00012). SWI and TOF-angiography provide similar sensitivity for central thrombi while SWI is superior for the detection of peripheral thrombi in small arterial vessel segments. ..
- Schad A, Fahimi H, Volkl A, Baumgart E. Expression of catalase mRNA and protein in adult rat brain: detection by nonradioactive in situ hybridization with signal amplification by catalyzed reporter deposition (ISH-CARD) and immunohistochemistry (IHC)/immunofluorescence (IF). J Histochem Cytochem. 2003;51:751-60 pubmed
- Brockmeyer T, Walther S, Ingenerf K, Wild B, Hartmann M, Weisbrod M, et al. Brain effects of computer-assisted cognitive remediation therapy in anorexia nervosa: A pilot fMRI study. Psychiatry Res Neuroimaging. 2016;249:52-6 pubmed publisher..These pilot findings provide viable pathways for future research on brain changes underlying CRT in AN. ..
- Hauser T, Schönknecht P, Thomann P, Gerigk L, Schroder J, Henze R, et al. Regional cerebral perfusion alterations in patients with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer disease using dynamic susceptibility contrast MRI. Acad Radiol. 2013;20:705-11 pubmed publisher..Using dynamic susceptibility contrast magnetic resonance imaging, pathologic alterations of regional brain perfusion can be demonstrated in patients with AD compared to patients with MCI or HCs. ..
- Mantamadiotis T, Kretz O, Ridder S, Bleckmann S, Bock D, Grone H, et al. Hypothalamic 3',5'-cyclic adenosine monophosphate response element-binding protein loss causes anterior pituitary hypoplasia and dwarfism in mice. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:204-11 pubmed..These findings show that CREB is required for the efficient production of GHRH in hypothalamus, in addition to its previously reported role in pituitary GH production and somatotroph expansion. ..
- Sauer S, Merle U, Opp S, Haas D, Hoffmann G, Stremmel W, et al. Severe dysfunction of respiratory chain and cholesterol metabolism in Atp7b(-/-) mice as a model for Wilson disease. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1812:1607-15 pubmed publisher..Summarizing, our study reveals oxidative stress along with severe dysfunction of mitochondrial energy production and of sterol metabolism in Atp7b(-/-) mice shedding new light on the pathogenesis of WD. ..
- HegedÅ±s P, Li S, Korkmaz IcÃ¶z S, Radovits T, MAYER T, Al Said S, et al. Dimethyloxalylglycine treatment of brain-dead donor rats improves both donor and graft left ventricular function after heart transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016;35:99-107 pubmed publisher..These results support the hypothesis that activation of the HIF-1 pathway has a protective role against BD-associated cardiac dysfunction. ..
- Lubjuhn J, Gastens A, von Wilpert G, Bargiotas P, Herrmann O, Murikinati S, et al. Functional testing in a mouse stroke model induced by occlusion of the distal middle cerebral artery. J Neurosci Methods. 2009;184:95-103 pubmed publisher..The present study provides a basis to explore the potential of functional testing for neuroprotection and neuroregeneration after stroke. ..
- Amtul Z, Uhrig M, Rozmahel R, Beyreuther K. Structural insight into the differential effects of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids on the production of Abeta peptides and amyloid plaques. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:6100-7 pubmed publisher..Our work contributes to the clarification of aspects of structure-activity relationships. ..
- Brambilla R, Gnesutta N, Minichiello L, White G, Roylance A, Herron C, et al. A role for the Ras signalling pathway in synaptic transmission and long-term memory. Nature. 1997;390:281-6 pubmed..These results implicate Ras-GRF signalling via the Ras/MAP kinase pathway in synaptic events leading to formation of long-term memories. ..
- Reuss B, Hertel M, Werner S, Unsicker K. Fibroblast growth factors-5 and -9 distinctly regulate expression and function of the gap junction protein connexin43 in cultured astroglial cells from different brain regions. Glia. 2000;30:231-41 pubmed..The molecular basis underlying the regionally distinct responsiveness of astrocytes to different FGFs may be sought beyond distinct FGFR expression. ..
- Meier S, Demirakca T, Brusniak W, Wolf I, Liebsch K, Tunc Skarka N, et al. SCN1A affects brain structure and the neural activity of the aging brain. Biol Psychiatry. 2012;72:677-83 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the present results suggest that the SCN1A polymorphism has modulatory effects on brain morphology and vulnerability to age-related alterations in brain activity of cortical regions that subserve working memory. ..
- Brodde A, Teigler A, Brugger B, Lehmann W, Wieland F, Berger J, et al. Impaired neurotransmission in ether lipid-deficient nerve terminals. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:2713-24 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, lack of PLs is mainly compensated for by an increase in the concentration of phosphatidylethanolamine and results in a significantly lowered level of lipid peroxidation products in the brain cortex and cerebellum. ..
- Behl N, Gnahm C, Bachert P, Ladd M, Nagel A. Three-dimensional dictionary-learning reconstruction of (23)Na MRI data. Magn Reson Med. 2016;75:1605-16 pubmed publisher..The 3D-DLCS algorithm enables precise reconstruction of undersampled (23)Na MRI data with markedly reduced noise and artifact levels compared with NUFFT reconstruction. Small structures are well preserved. ..
- Karreman M, Mercier L, Schieber N, Solecki G, Allio G, Winkler F, et al. Fast and precise targeting of single tumor cells in vivo by multimodal correlative microscopy. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:444-56 pubmed publisher..Owing to the versatility of this workflow, we envision broad applications in various fields of biological research, such as cancer or developmental biology. ..
- von Bohlen und Halbach O. The renin-angiotensin system in the mammalian central nervous system. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2005;6:355-71 pubmed..This phenomenon appears to represent an important mechanism for neuromodulation. Moreover, there is evidence to suggest that the renin-angiotensin system is involved in neurological disorders, as e.g. Alzheimer's or Parkinson's disease. ..
- Spoelgen R, Meyer A, Moraru A, Kirsch F, Vogt Eisele A, Plaas C, et al. A novel flow cytometry-based technique to measure adult neurogenesis in the brain. J Neurochem. 2011;119:165-75 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate the ability of the technique to detect increased neurogenesis in the hippocampus of animals which underwent physical exercise and received fluoxetine treatment. ..
- Kelsch W, Stolfi A, Lois C. Genetic labeling of neuronal subsets through enhancer trapping in mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38593 pubmed publisher..Enhancer detection by lentiviral transgenesis could thus provide a complementary method for generating transgenic mouse libraries for the genetic labeling and manipulation of neuronal subsets. ..
- Herrero Y Calle M, Cornelis J, Herold Mende C, Rommelaere J, Schlehofer J, Geletneky K. Parvovirus H-1 infection of human glioma cells leads to complete viral replication and efficient cell killing. Int J Cancer. 2004;109:76-84 pubmed..These advantageous characteristics of H-1 virus infection of glioma cells, combined with the known low toxicity of H-1 virus in nontransformed cells, make parvovirus H-1 a promising candidate for oncolytic glioma therapy. ..
- Boettger M, Kirchhof K, Sergi C, Sakmann C, Meyer P. Colobomas of the iris and choroid and high signal intensity cerebral foci on T2-weighted magnetic resonance images in Klinefelter's syndrome. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2004;41:247-8 pubmed..Magnetic resonance imaging of the head showed multiple bilateral asymmetric high signal intensity foci in the subcortical and periventricular white matter. Genetic counseling disclosed a 47,XXY karyotype. ..
- von Bohlen und Halbach O, Albrecht D. The CNS renin-angiotensin system. Cell Tissue Res. 2006;326:599-616 pubmed
- Grinevich V, Knobloch Bollmann H, Eliava M, Busnelli M, Chini B. Assembling the Puzzle: Pathways of Oxytocin Signaling in the Brain. Biol Psychiatry. 2016;79:155-64 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we speculate that both the alteration in OT delivery and OT receptor expression may cause behavioral abnormalities in patients afflicted with psychosocial diseases. ..
- Bohm C, Newrzella D, Herberger S, Schramm N, Eisenhardt G, Schenk V, et al. Effects of antidepressant treatment on gene expression profile in mouse brain: cell type-specific transcription profiling using laser microdissection and microarray analysis. J Neurochem. 2006;97 Suppl 1:44-9 pubmed
- Illanes S, Zhou W, Heiland S, Markus Z, Veltkamp R. Kinetics of hematoma expansion in murine warfarin-associated intracerebral hemorrhage. Brain Res. 2010;1320:135-42 pubmed publisher..Stronger anticoagulation results in larger hematoma volumes. As hematoma enlargement occurs mainly during the first hours, potential hemostatic therapies should be tested early in this OAC-ICH model. ..
- Campos B, Warta R, Chaisaingmongkol J, Geiselhart L, Popanda O, Hartmann C, et al. Epigenetically mediated downregulation of the differentiation-promoting chaperon protein CRABP2 in astrocytic gliomas. Int J Cancer. 2012;131:1963-8 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our observations suggest that epigenetic silencing of CRABP2 might contribute to an immature phenotype in glioma cells. ..
- Feldmeyer D, Kask K, Brusa R, Kornau H, Kolhekar R, Rozov A, et al. Neurological dysfunctions in mice expressing different levels of the Q/R site-unedited AMPAR subunit GluR-B. Nat Neurosci. 1999;2:57-64 pubmed..Thus, changes in GluR-B gene expression and Q/R site editing can affect critical architectural and functional aspects of excitatory principal neurons. ..
- Brugger B, Graham C, Leibrecht I, Mombelli E, Jen A, Wieland F, et al. The membrane domains occupied by glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored prion protein and Thy-1 differ in lipid composition. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:7530-6 pubmed..These results further identify unsaturation and glycosylation of lipids as major sources of diversity of raft structure. ..
- Vogt A, Hormuzdi S, Monyer H. Pannexin1 and Pannexin2 expression in the developing and mature rat brain. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2005;141:113-20 pubmed..Furthermore, the temporal difference in the expression of the two genes indicates that the relative contribution of the two pannexins in immature and mature neuronal circuits may vary. ..
- Sauer S, Kolker S, Hoffmann G, ten Brink H, Jakobs C, Gibson K, et al. Enzymatic and metabolic evidence for a region specific mitochondrial dysfunction in brains of murine succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase deficiency (Aldh5a1-/- mice). Neurochem Int. 2007;50:653-9 pubmed..Although our results suggest hippocampal and cortical dysfunction in Aldh5a1(-/-) brain, we found no evidence that accumulating key metabolites of SSADH deficiency directly induce impairment of energy metabolism...
- Pena V, Hothorn M, Eberth A, Kaschau N, Parret A, Gremer L, et al. The C2 domain of SynGAP is essential for stimulation of the Rap GTPase reaction. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:350-5 pubmed publisher..SynGAP presents the first example, to our knowledge, of a GAP that uses a second domain for catalytic activity, thus pointing to a new function of C2 domains. ..
- Harting I, Neumaier Probst E, Seitz A, Maier E, Assmann B, Baric I, et al. Dynamic changes of striatal and extrastriatal abnormalities in glutaric aciduria type I. Brain. 2009;132:1764-82 pubmed publisher..This may have widespread consequences for the pathophysiological understanding of this disease, long-term outcomes and therapeutic considerations. ..
- Niedtfeld I, Schulze L, Kirsch P, Herpertz S, Bohus M, Schmahl C. Affect regulation and pain in borderline personality disorder: a possible link to the understanding of self-injury. Biol Psychiatry. 2010;68:383-91 pubmed publisher..Finally, we can preliminarily support the idea of a general mechanism of attentional shift underlying the soothing effect of pain in BPD. ..
- Kramer E, Klein C, Koch T, Boytinck M, Trotter J. Compartmentation of Fyn kinase with glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored molecules in oligodendrocytes facilitates kinase activation during myelination. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:29042-9 pubmed..Interaction of oligodendrocyte F3 with axonal ligands such as L1 and ensuing kinase activation may play a crucial role in initiating myelination. ..
- Titze B, Denk W. Automated in-chamber specimen coating for serial block-face electron microscopy. J Microsc. 2013;250:101-110 pubmed publisher..We modified and automated the evaporator to enable the acquisition of SBEM stacks, and demonstrated the acquisition of stacks of over 1000 successive cut/coat/image cycles and of stacks using beam deceleration or SE contrast...
- Valsdottir R, Hashimoto H, Ashman K, Koda T, Storrie B, Nilsson T. Identification of rabaptin-5, rabex-5, and GM130 as putative effectors of rab33b, a regulator of retrograde traffic between the Golgi apparatus and ER. FEBS Lett. 2001;508:201-9 pubmed..In contrast, rab5 was as expected, shown to bind rabaptin-5 and rabex-5 as well as the endosomal effector protein EEA1 but not GM130. No binding of EEA1 was seen to any of the Golgi rabs. ..
- Khodosevich K, Watanabe Y, Monyer H. EphA4 preserves postnatal and adult neural stem cells in an undifferentiated state in vivo. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1268-79 pubmed publisher..Both in vitro and in vivo effects were rescued by co-infection with a modified EphA4 that was resistant to Epha4 shRNA. ..
- Faulstich D, Auerbach S, Orci L, Ravazzola M, Wegchingel S, Lottspeich F, et al. Architecture of coatomer: molecular characterization of delta-COP and protein interactions within the complex. J Cell Biol. 1996;135:53-61 pubmed..We propose that these interactions reflect in vivo associations of those subunits and thus play a functional role in the assembly of coatomer and/or serve to maintain the molecular architecture of the complex. ..
- Schwarz S, Knauth M, Schwab S, Walter Sack I, Bonmann E, Storch Hagenlocher B. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis after parenteral therapy with herbal extracts: a report of two cases. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2000;69:516-8 pubmed..Both patients recovered rapidly after treatment with methylprednisolone. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis should be considered a rare complication of parenteral therapy with herbal extracts...