Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on escherichia coli in Paris, Île de France, France
Locale: Paris, Île de France, France
Topic: escherichia coli
Publications212 found, 100 shown here
- Colland F, Barth M, Hengge Aronis R, Kolb A. sigma factor selectivity of Escherichia coli RNA polymerase: role for CRP, IHF and lrp transcription factors. EMBO J. 2000;19:3028-37 pubmed..This different ability of the two holoenzymes to interact productively with promoters once assembled in complex nucleoprotein structures may be a crucial factor in generating sigma(S) selectivity in vivo. ..
- Plumbridge J. DNA binding sites for the Mlc and NagC proteins: regulation of nagE, encoding the N-acetylglucosamine-specific transporter in Escherichia coli. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:506-14 pubmed..Replacing the A/T at +11/-11 with C/G allows repression by NagC in the absence of the nagB operator. ..
- Heurgué Hamard V, Champ S, Mora L, Merkulova Rainon T, Merkoulova Rainon T, Kisselev L, et al. The glutamine residue of the conserved GGQ motif in Saccharomyces cerevisiae release factor eRF1 is methylated by the product of the YDR140w gene. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:2439-45 pubmed..erf3.gtp. ..
- Fantin B, Duval X, Massias L, Alavoine L, Chau F, Retout S, et al. Ciprofloxacin dosage and emergence of resistance in human commensal bacteria. J Infect Dis. 2009;200:390-8 pubmed publisher..Selection of resistant commensals during ciprofloxacin therapy is a frequent ecological side effect that is not preventable by dosage optimization. Trial registration. Clinical Trials.gov identifier: NCT00190151. ..
- Malabirade A, Jiang K, Kubiak K, Diaz Mendoza A, Liu F, van Kan J, et al. Compaction and condensation of DNA mediated by the C-terminal domain of Hfq. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:7299-7308 pubmed publisher..The propensity for bridging and compaction of DNA by the C-terminal domain might be related to aggregation of bound protein and may have implications for protein binding related gene regulation. ..
- D Ari R, Jaffe A, Bouloc P, Robin A. Cyclic AMP and cell division in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:65-70 pubmed
- Dawid A, Croquette V, Grigoriev M, Heslot F. Single-molecule study of RuvAB-mediated Holliday-junction migration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:11611-6 pubmed..The average migration rate at zero load was found to be approximately 43 bp/sec. Furthermore, the load dependence of the migration rate is small, within the force range of -3.4 pN (hindering force) to +3.4 pN (assisting force). ..
- Kthiri F, Le H, Gautier V, Caldas T, Malki A, Landoulsi A, et al. Protein aggregation in a mutant deficient in yajL, the bacterial homolog of the Parkinsonism-associated protein DJ-1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:10328-36 pubmed publisher..These two functions of YajL might explain the protein aggregation phenotype of the yajL mutant. ..
- De Reuse H, Kolb A, Danchin A. Positive regulation of the expression of the Escherichia coli pts operon. Identification of the regulatory regions. J Mol Biol. 1992;226:623-35 pubmed..We finally propose that the expression of the pts operon is controlled by two alternative positive regulatory mechanisms, which are designed to allow activation of the pts operon under a great variety of growth conditions. ..
- Guidi Rontani C. Cytotoxic activity of a recombinant chimaeric protein between Pseudomonas aeruginosa exotoxin A and Corynebacterium diphtheriae diphtheria toxin. Mol Microbiol. 1992;6:1281-7 pubmed
- Regnier P, Grunberg Manago M. Cleavage by RNase III in the transcripts of the met Y-nus-A-infB operon of Escherichia coli releases the tRNA and initiates the decay of the downstream mRNA. J Mol Biol. 1989;210:293-302 pubmed
- Sougakoff W, Petit A, Goussard S, Sirot D, Bure A, Courvalin P. Characterization of the plasmid genes blaT-4 and blaT-5 which encode the broad-spectrum beta-lactamases TEM-4 and TEM-5 in enterobacteriaceae. Gene. 1989;78:339-48 pubmed
- Msadek T, Kunst F, Rapoport G. MecB of Bacillus subtilis, a member of the ClpC ATPase family, is a pleiotropic regulator controlling competence gene expression and growth at high temperature. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:5788-92 pubmed..In response to an unknown signal, active ComK would accumulate through a positive feedback loop, leading to expression of competence genes allowing DNA uptake. ..
- Belmouden A, Le K, Lederer F, Garchon H. Molecular cloning and nucleotide sequence of cDNA encoding rat kidney long-chain L-2-hydroxy acid oxidase. Expression of the catalytically active recombinant protein as a chimaera. Eur J Biochem. 1993;214:17-25 pubmed..Comparative tryptic proteolysis of the rat kidney enzyme yielded a form cleaved in the same loop. ..
- Francetic O, Pugsley A. The cryptic general secretory pathway (gsp) operon of Escherichia coli K-12 encodes functional proteins. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:3544-9 pubmed..Thus, the gsp operon of E. coli K-12 includes at least two functional genes which, together with the rest of the operon, are probably not expressed under laboratory conditions. ..
- Turlin E, Gasser F, Biville F. Sequence and functional analysis of an Escherichia coli DNA fragment able to complement pqqE and pqqF mutants from Methylobacterium organophilum. Biochimie. 1996;78:823-31 pubmed..The sequence of ORF109 is identical to the sequence of the gadB gene of E coli encoding for a glutamate decarboxylase. ..
- Plumbridge J, Kolb A. DNA bending and expression of the divergent nagE-B operons. Nucleic Acids Res. 1998;26:1254-60 pubmed..In this case protein-protein contacts between CAP and RNA polymerase are necessary for full activation, but at least a part of the activation is likely due to an effect of CAP binding altering DNA structure. ..
- Sismeiro O, Trotot P, Biville F, Vivares C, Danchin A. Aeromonas hydrophila adenylyl cyclase 2: a new class of adenylyl cyclases with thermophilic properties and sequence similarities to proteins from hyperthermophilic archaebacteria. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:3339-44 pubmed..The possibility of a gene transfer between such phylogenetically divergent bacteria is discussed. ..
- Grillot Courvalin C, Goussard S, Huetz F, Ojcius D, Courvalin P. Functional gene transfer from intracellular bacteria to mammalian cells. Nat Biotechnol. 1998;16:862-6 pubmed..Expression of the acquired genes occurs in both dividing and quiescent cells. The only requirement for bacteria to transfer genetic material into nonprofessional phagocytic cells and macrophages is the ability to invade the host cell. ..
- Balandina A, Claret L, Hengge Aronis R, Rouviere Yaniv J. The Escherichia coli histone-like protein HU regulates rpoS translation. Mol Microbiol. 2001;39:1069-79 pubmed..We demonstrate here that HU, an abundant DNA-binding, histone-like protein, is able specifically to recognize an RNA molecule and therefore play a role in post-transcriptional regulation. ..
- Kthiri F, Le H, Tagourti J, Kern R, Malki A, Caldas T, et al. The thioredoxin homolog YbbN functions as a chaperone rather than as an oxidoreductase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;374:668-72 pubmed publisher..It increases 4-fold the rate of protein renaturation in vitro by the DnaK chaperone machine, suggesting that it cooperates with DnaK for the optimal expression of several cytoplasmic proteins. ..
- Saragosti J, Silberzan P, Buguin A. Modeling E. coli tumbles by rotational diffusion. Implications for chemotaxis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35412 pubmed publisher..In that case, the effective rotational diffusion coefficient itself varies with the direction of the preceding run. We propose that this effect is related to the number of flagella involved in the reorientation process. ..
- Guerout A, Iqbal N, Mine N, Ducos Galand M, Van Melderen L, Mazel D. Characterization of the phd-doc and ccd toxin-antitoxin cassettes from Vibrio superintegrons. J Bacteriol. 2013;195:2270-83 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we discuss the possible biological functions of these TA systems in superintegrons...
- Da Re S, Valle J, Charbonnel N, Beloin C, Latour Lambert P, Faure P, et al. Identification of commensal Escherichia coli genes involved in biofilm resistance to pathogen colonization. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61628 pubmed publisher..This study therefore identifies previously uncharacterized colonization resistance genes and provides new approaches to unravelling molecular aspects of commensal/pathogen competitive interactions. ..
- Mathavan I, Zirah S, Mehmood S, Choudhury H, Goulard C, Li Y, et al. Structural basis for hijacking siderophore receptors by antimicrobial lasso peptides. Nat Chem Biol. 2014;10:340-2 pubmed publisher..Our work provides an explanation on the narrow activity spectrum of lasso peptides and opens the path to the development of new antibacterials. ..
- Debarbouille M, Martin Verstraete I, Klier A, Rapoport G. The transcriptional regulator LevR of Bacillus subtilis has domains homologous to both sigma 54- and phosphotransferase system-dependent regulators. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:2212-6 pubmed..coli was strongly dependent on sigma 54. Taken together, these results suggest that the operon is expressed from a -12, -24 promoter regulated by a sigma 54-like-dependent system in B. subtilis. ..
- Francoz E, Molla A, Dassa E, Saurin W, Hofnung M. The maltoporin of Salmonella typhimurium: sequence and folding model. Res Microbiol. 1990;141:1039-59 pubmed..The intergenic region between lamB and the following gene, malM, comprises conserved segments, including one palindromic unit. ..
- Bedouelle H. Recognition of tRNA(Tyr) by tyrosyl-tRNA synthetase. Biochimie. 1990;72:589-98 pubmed..Chemical attack and molecular modeling experiments have indicated that the acceptor end of tRNA(Tyr) ... CCCA3'-OH, remains mobile after the initial binding of tRNA(Tyr) to TyrTS. ..
- Dzidic S, Radman M. Genetic requirements for hyper-recombination by very short patch mismatch repair: involvement of Escherichia coli DNA polymerase I. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;217:254-6 pubmed..The absence of endonuclease activities involved in the repair of base-loss sites, Nth, Nfo and Xth, does not affect VSP repair. Implications for the mechanism of the VSP repair are discussed. ..
- Jaffe A, D Ari R, Hiraga S. Minicell-forming mutants of Escherichia coli: production of minicells and anucleate rods. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:3094-101 pubmed..Abnormal DNA distribution and production of anucleate rods suggest that the Min product(s) could be involved in DNA distribution. ..
- Springer M, Graffe M, Dondon J, Grunberg Manago M, Romby P, Ehresmann B, et al. Translational control in E. coli: the case of threonyl-tRNA synthetase. Biosci Rep. 1988;8:619-32 pubmed..Further experiments indicate that there is a clear correlation between the way the synthetase recognises each operator, causing translational repression, and threonyl-tRNA. ..
- Topilko P, Schneider Maunoury S, Levi G, Baron van Evercooren A, Chennoufi A, Seitanidou T, et al. Krox-20 controls myelination in the peripheral nervous system. Nature. 1994;371:796-9 pubmed..Therefore Krox-20 is likely to control a set of genes required for completion of myelination in the peripheral nervous system. ..
- Old I, Margarita D, Saint Girons I. Unique genetic arrangement in the dnaA region of the Borrelia burgdorferi linear chromosome: nucleotide sequence of the dnaA gene. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1993;111:109-14 pubmed..In addition B. burgdorferi DnaA protein differs considerably from those of other eubacteria in a normally highly conserved region at the C-terminus of the polypeptide which may be involved in DNA binding. ..
- Oberto J, Bonnefoy E, Mouray E, Pellegrini O, Wikström P, Rouviere Yaniv J. The Escherichia coli ribosomal protein S16 is an endonuclease. Mol Microbiol. 1996;19:1319-30 pubmed..We have cloned, overproduced, and purified a histidine-tagged S16 and shown that this protein is a DNA-binding protein carrying a Mg(2+)-Mn(2+)-dependent endonuclease activity. This is an unexpected property for a ribosomal protein. ..
- Chalbot S, Trap C, Monin J, Morfin R. Use of bioconversion for the preparation of [4-14C]-labeled 7 alpha- and 7 beta-hydroxylated derivatives of dehydroepiandrosterone and epiandrosterone. Steroids. 2002;67:1121-7 pubmed..Production yields and radio-purity measurements allowed the use of such procedures for the preparation of the described radio-steroids for studies of metabolism and mode of action. ..
- Mora L, Heurgué Hamard V, Champ S, Ehrenberg M, Kisselev L, Buckingham R. The essential role of the invariant GGQ motif in the function and stability in vivo of bacterial release factors RF1 and RF2. Mol Microbiol. 2003;47:267-75 pubmed
- Tenaillon O, Silander O, Uzan J, Chao L. Quantifying organismal complexity using a population genetic approach. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e217 pubmed
- Jaumouill V, Francetic O, Sansonetti P, Tran van Nhieu G. Cytoplasmic targeting of IpaC to the bacterial pole directs polar type III secretion in Shigella. EMBO J. 2008;27:447-57 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that cytoplasmic polar localization directs secretion of IpaC at the pole of Shigella, and may represent a mandatory step for T3S...
- Louvel H, Picardeau M. Genetic manipulation of Leptospira biflexa. Curr Protoc Microbiol. 2007;Chapter 12:Unit 12E.4 pubmed publisher..biflexa has been developed. These studies enable the use of L. biflexa as a model bacterium among spirochetes. ..
- Maes A, Gracia C, Hajnsdorf E, Regnier P. Search for poly(A) polymerase targets in E. coli reveals its implication in surveillance of Glu tRNA processing and degradation of stable RNAs. Mol Microbiol. 2012;83:436-51 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that the surveillance of tRNA maturation described for a defective tRNA also applies to a wild-type tRNA. ..
- Yan K, Li Y, Zirah S, Goulard C, Knappe T, Marahiel M, et al. Dissecting the maturation steps of the lasso peptide microcin J25 in vitro. Chembiochem. 2012;13:1046-52 pubmed publisher..Their substrate preference was directly investigated with the aid of mutated precursor peptides. Depending on the substitutions, microcin J25 variants with either a lasso or branched-cyclic topology could be generated in vitro. ..
- Hui F, Debiemme Chouvy C. Antimicrobial N-halamine polymers and coatings: a review of their synthesis, characterization, and applications. Biomacromolecules. 2013;14:585-601 pubmed publisher..Finally, some examples of application of these N-halamines in the water treatment, paints, healthcare equipment, and textile industries are presented and discussed. ..
- Yamamoto J, Shimizu K, Kanda T, Hosokawa Y, Iwai S, Plaza P, et al. Loss of Fourth Electron-Transferring Tryptophan in Animal (6-4) Photolyase Impairs DNA Repair Activity in Bacterial Cells. Biochemistry. 2017;56:5356-5364 pubmed publisher..We thereby show that the photoreductive formation of FADH- through the Trp tetrad is essential for the biological function of the animal (6-4)PL. The role of the Trp cascade, and of the fourth Trp in particular, is discussed. ..
- Luo D, Leautey J, Grunberg Manago M, Putzer H. Structure and regulation of expression of the Bacillus subtilis valyl-tRNA synthetase gene. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:2472-8 pubmed..Disruption of the valS gene was not lethal, suggesting the existence of a second gene, as is the case for both the thrS and the tyrS genes. ..
- Liu L, Margottin F, Le Gall S, Schwartz O, Selig L, Benarous R, et al. Binding of HIV-1 Nef to a novel thioesterase enzyme correlates with Nef-mediated CD4 down-regulation. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:13779-85 pubmed..These observations suggest that this human thioesterase is a cellular mediator of Nef-induced CD4 down-regulation. ..
- Letoffe S, Redeker V, Wandersman C. Isolation and characterization of an extracellular haem-binding protein from Pseudomonas aeruginosa that shares function and sequence similarities with the Serratia marcescens HasA haemophore. Mol Microbiol. 1998;28:1223-34 pubmed..HasAp, like HasA, lacks a signal peptide and is secreted by an ABC transporter. These findings show that haemophore-dependent haem acquisition is not unique to S. marcescens...
- Francetic O, Belin D, Badaut C, Pugsley A. Expression of the endogenous type II secretion pathway in Escherichia coli leads to chitinase secretion. EMBO J. 2000;19:6697-703 pubmed..This is the first time that secretion of an endogenous extracellular protein has been demonstrated in E.coli K-12. ..
- Hamzaoui N, Kerneis S, Caliot E, Pringault E. Expression and distribution of beta1 integrins in in vitro-induced M cells: implications for Yersinia adhesion to Peyer's patch epithelium. Cell Microbiol. 2004;6:817-28 pubmed..We show that it is not invasin, but the product of an as yet unidentified bacterial chromosomal gene, that is involved in the adhesion of Y. enterocolitica to the apical membrane of M cells. ..
- Gangnard S, Tuikue Ndam N, Gnidehou S, Quiviger M, Juillerat A, Faure G, et al. Functional and immunological characterization of the var2CSA-DBL5epsilon domain of a placental Plasmodium falciparum isolate. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2010;173:115-22 pubmed publisher..The presence of universal epitopes thus supports DBL5epsilon as an interesting component of var2CSA to be considered for vaccine development. ..
- Korea C, Ghigo J, Beloin C. The sweet connection: Solving the riddle of multiple sugar-binding fimbrial adhesins in Escherichia coli: Multiple E. coli fimbriae form a versatile arsenal of sugar-binding lectins potentially involved in surface-colonisation and tissue tropism. Bioessays. 2011;33:300-11 pubmed publisher
- Golinelli Pimpaneau B, Badet B. Possible involvement of Lys603 from Escherichia coli glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase in the binding of its substrate fructose 6-phosphate. Eur J Biochem. 1991;201:175-82 pubmed
- Lopez P, Marchand I, Joyce S, Dreyfus M. The C-terminal half of RNase E, which organizes the Escherichia coli degradosome, participates in mRNA degradation but not rRNA processing in vivo. Mol Microbiol. 1999;33:188-99 pubmed..Artificial mRNAs generated by E. coli expression systems based on T7 RNA polymerase can be genuinely unstable, and we show that the mutation can improve the yield of such systems without compromising cell growth. ..
- Biville F, Oshima T, Mori H, Kawagoe Y, Bouvet O, Rager M, et al. Escherichia coli response to exogenous pyrophosphate and analogs. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. 2003;5:37-45 pubmed..The transcriptome data also indicated that processes other than iron uptake might be involved in the cellular response to exogenous pyrophosphate or methylenediphosphonic acid. ..
- Brunel C, Caillet J, Lesage P, Graffe M, Dondon J, Moine H, et al. Domains of the Escherichia coli threonyl-tRNA synthetase translational operator and their relation to threonine tRNA isoacceptors. J Mol Biol. 1992;227:621-34 pubmed
- Barth l my M, P duzzi J, Bernard H, Tancr de C, Labia R. Close amino acid sequence relationship between the new plasmid-mediated extended-spectrum beta-lactamase MEN-1 and chromosomally encoded enzymes of Klebsiella oxytoca. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1992;1122:15-22 pubmed..Therefore, MEN-1 is the first transferable extended-spectrum beta-lactamase which is not directly derived from the widespread TEMs or SHV-1 penicillinases with which it presents less than 39% identity...
- Shazand K, Tucker J, Chiang R, Stansmore K, Sperling Petersen H, Grunberg Manago M, et al. Isolation and molecular genetic characterization of the Bacillus subtilis gene (infB) encoding protein synthesis initiation factor 2. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:2675-87 pubmed..subtilis chromosome, between the polC and spcB loci. This location is distinct from those of the other major ribosomal protein and rRNA gene clusters of B. subtilis. ..
- Wallet V, Mutzel R, Troll H, Barzu O, Wurster B, Veron M, et al. Dictyostelium nucleoside diphosphate kinase highly homologous to Nm23 and Awd proteins involved in mammalian tumor metastasis and Drosophila development. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1990;82:1199-202 pubmed..Our results point to an unexpected role of NDP kinase in development, growth control, and oncogenic transformation. ..
- Barthelemy M, Peduzzi J, Ben Yaghlane H, Labia R. Single amino acid substitution between SHV-1 beta-lactamase and cefotaxime-hydrolyzing SHV-2 enzyme. FEBS Lett. 1988;231:217-20 pubmed..A putative amino acid sequence was deduced. Structural comparison revealed that SHV-2 differed from SHV-1 by only one amino acid, Gly----Ser, at position 213 of the mature protein. ..
- Lecoeur S, Bonierbale E, Challine D, Gautier J, Valadon P, Dansette P, et al. Specificity of in vitro covalent binding of tienilic acid metabolites to human liver microsomes in relationship to the type of hepatotoxicity: comparison with two directly hepatotoxic drugs. Chem Res Toxicol. 1994;7:434-42 pubmed..Although low numbers of drugs were tested, these results led us to think that there may exist a relationship between the specificity of covalent binding and the type of hepatotoxicity. ..
- Vidal Ingigliardi D, Richet E, Danot O, Raibaud O. A small C-terminal region of the Escherichia coli MalT protein contains the DNA-binding domain. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:24527-30 pubmed..Our result strongly supports the suggestion that the region of homology corresponds to the DNA-binding domain of the proteins in this family. ..
- Blondel A, Nageotte R, Bedouelle H. Destabilizing interactions between the partners of a bifunctional fusion protein. Protein Eng. 1996;9:231-8 pubmed..Thus, one partner of a hybrid protein can be destabilized by the other partner while maintaining its structural and functional characteristics. ..
- Steffen P, Goyard S, Ullmann A. The Bordetella pertussis sigma subunit of RNA polymerase confers enhanced expression of fha in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1997;23:945-54 pubmed..coli UQ285 strains carrying the B. pertussis bvg locus. We discuss the implications of these results on the mechanisms involved in the activation of virulence-associated promoters...
- Egile C, d Hauteville H, Parsot C, Sansonetti P. SopA, the outer membrane protease responsible for polar localization of IcsA in Shigella flexneri. Mol Microbiol. 1997;23:1063-73 pubmed..The construction and phenotypic characterization of a sopA mutant demonstrated that SopA is required for exclusive polar localization of IcsA on the bacterial surface and proper expression of the motility phenotype in infected cells...
- Courtois F, Guérard C, Thomas X, Ploux O. Escherichia coli cyclopropane fatty acid synthase. Eur J Biochem. 2004;271:4769-78 pubmed..The inactivation is probably the result of steric hindrance, a phenomenon irrelevant to catalysis. It is very likely that E. coli CFAS operates via a carbocation mechanism, but the base and nucleophile remain to be identified. ..
- Alvarez Añorve L, Calcagno M, Plumbridge J. Why does Escherichia coli grow more slowly on glucosamine than on N-acetylglucosamine? Effects of enzyme levels and allosteric activation of GlcN6P deaminase (NagB) on growth rates. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:2974-82 pubmed..The effects of the mutations on growth in vivo are discussed in light of their in vitro kinetics. ..
- Clermont O, Dhanji H, Upton M, Gibreel T, Fox A, Boyd D, et al. Rapid detection of the O25b-ST131 clone of Escherichia coli encompassing the CTX-M-15-producing strains. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009;64:274-7 pubmed publisher..This clone represents 3% of non-ESBL B2 isolates originating from urinary tract infections in Paris. We have developed a PCR-based assay that easily identifies a clone with high likelihood of producing ESBLs, including CTX-M-15. ..
- Wong Ng J, Chatenay D, Robert J, POIRIER M. Plasmid copy number noise in monoclonal populations of bacteria. Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys. 2010;81:011909 pubmed..Finally, bacterial populations were allowed to grow without selective pressure. In this case, we were able to determine the plasmid loss rate and growth inhibition effect. ..
- Baharoglu Z, Bikard D, Mazel D. Conjugative DNA transfer induces the bacterial SOS response and promotes antibiotic resistance development through integron activation. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001165 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the importance of environments concentrating disparate bacterial communities as reactors for extensive genetic adaptation of bacteria. ..
- Guet Revillet H, Le Monnier A, Breton N, Descamps P, Lecuyer H, Alaabouche I, et al. Environmental contamination with extended-spectrum ?-lactamases: is there any difference between Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp?. Am J Infect Control. 2012;40:845-8 pubmed publisher..We aimed to assess the rate of environmental contamination in rooms occupied by ESBL carriers or infected children and to identify risk factors associated with contamination...
- Bidet P, Bonarcorsi S, Bingen E. [Virulence factors and pathophysiology of extraintestinal pathogenic Escherichia coli]. Arch Pediatr. 2012;19 Suppl 3:S80-92 pubmed publisher..coli can not be reduced to a single virulence factor, but results from a combination of factors unique to each clone, and an imbalance between the immune defenses of the host and bacterial virulence. ..
- Soifer I, Robert L, Amir A. Single-Cell Analysis of Growth in Budding Yeast and Bacteria Reveals a Common Size Regulation Strategy. Curr Biol. 2016;26:356-61 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we argue that for S. cerevisiae the "volume increment" is not added from birth to division, but rather between two budding events. ..
- Gilson E, Saurin W, Perrin D, Bachellier S, Hofnung M. The BIME family of bacterial highly repetitive sequences. Res Microbiol. 1991;142:217-22 pubmed..These findings suggest that BIME could play a role in the functional organization of the bacterial nucleoid. Hypotheses on their origin and evolution are discussed. ..
- Kaminski P, Mandon K, Arigoni F, Desnoues N, Elmerich C. Regulation of nitrogen fixation in Azorhizobium caulinodans: identification of a fixK-like gene, a positive regulator of nifA. Mol Microbiol. 1991;5:1983-91 pubmed..A model of regulation, based on these data, is presented and might explain the unusual ability of A. caulinodans to fix nitrogen both under symbiotic conditions and in the free-living state. ..
- Rose T, Brune M, Wittinghofer A, Le Blay K, Surewicz W, Mantsch H, et al. Structural and catalytic properties of a deletion derivative (delta 133-157) of Escherichia coli adenylate kinase. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:10781-6 pubmed..It is perhaps responsible for interaction of enzyme with other cellular components although a different mechanism of water shielding for large and small size variants of AK can be also envisaged. ..
- Richet E. On the role of the multiple regulatory elements involved in the activation of the Escherichia coli malEp promoter. J Mol Biol. 1996;264:852-62 pubmed..Some elements of this structure, namely the CRP site 1, located at -76.5, and the distal MalT sites, seem to play a direct role in malEp activation besides their participation in the assembly of the higher-order structure...
- Painbeni E, Caroff M, Rouviere Yaniv J. Alterations of the outer membrane composition in Escherichia coli lacking the histone-like protein HU. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:6712-7 pubmed..These findings demonstrate a novel link between a bacterial chromosomal protein and the outer membrane composition. ..
- Kamashev D, Rouviere Yaniv J. The histone-like protein HU binds specifically to DNA recombination and repair intermediates. EMBO J. 2000;19:6527-35 pubmed..Both structural motifs are recognized by HU at least 1000-fold more avidly than duplex DNA. ..
- Morales P, Rouviere Yaniv J, Dreyfus M. The histone-like protein HU does not obstruct movement of T7 RNA polymerase in Escherichia coli cells but stimulates its activity. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:1565-70 pubmed..Thus, in contrast to eukaryotic nucleosomes, HU does not impair T7 RNAP activity but has a stimulatory effect. Finally, our results suggest that HU can also influence mRNA stability in vivo. ..
- Tenaillon O, Skurnik D, Picard B, Denamur E. The population genetics of commensal Escherichia coli. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2010;8:207-17 pubmed publisher..coli, the factors involved in the spread of different strains, how the bacteria can adapt to different niches and how a commensal lifestyle can evolve into a pathogenic one. ..
- Lavigne M, Herbert M, Kolb A, Buc H. Upstream curved sequences influence the initiation of transcription at the Escherichia coli galactose operon. J Mol Biol. 1992;224:293-306 pubmed
- Plumbridge J. A dominant mutation in the gene for the Nag repressor of Escherichia coli that renders the nag regulon uninducible. J Gen Microbiol. 1992;138:1011-7 pubmed..The mutation is semi-dominant since heterozygous diploids have reduced growth rates on glucosamine and N-acetylglucosamine compared to the wild-type strain. ..
- Plumbridge J. Repression and induction of the nag regulon of Escherichia coli K-12: the roles of nagC and nagA in maintenance of the uninduced state. Mol Microbiol. 1991;5:2053-62 pubmed
- Vidal Ingigliardi D, Raibaud O. Three adjacent binding sites for cAMP receptor protein are involved in the activation of the divergent malEp-malKp promoters. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:229-33 pubmed..The participation of several adjacent bound CRP molecules in the activation of a promoter is an unprecedented observation and might involve molecular mechanisms quite different from those used in the other CRP-controlled promoters. ..
- Portier C, Philippe C, Dondon L, Grunberg Manago M, Ebel J, Ehresmann B, et al. Translational control of ribosomal protein S15. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1990;1050:328-36 pubmed..Binding of S15 to these two domains suggests that the pseudoknot could be stabilized by S15. A model is presented in which two alternative structures would explain the molecular basis of the S15 autocontrol. ..
- Eiglmeier K, Honore N, Iuchi S, Lin E, Cole S. Molecular genetic analysis of FNR-dependent promoters. Mol Microbiol. 1989;3:869-78 pubmed..Studies with two mutant frd promoters from Escherichia coli, displaying altered regulation and FNR response, provided additional evidence for recognition of this sequence by FNR. ..
- Parsot C, Cohen G. Cloning and nucleotide sequence of the Bacillus subtilis hom gene coding for homoserine dehydrogenase. Structural and evolutionary relationships with Escherichia coli aspartokinases-homoserine dehydrogenases I and II. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:14654-60 pubmed..The B. subtilis homoserine dehydrogenase has a C-terminal extension of about 100 residues (relative to the E. coli enzymes) that could be involved in the regulation of the enzyme activity. ..
- Klebba P, Hofnung M, Charbit A. A model of maltodextrin transport through the sugar-specific porin, LamB, based on deletion analysis. EMBO J. 1994;13:4670-5 pubmed..Thus LamB represents a second distinct class of porins in the bacterial outer membrane that is differently organized and separately evolved from OmpF-type, general porins. ..
- Plumbridge J, Kolb A. DNA loop formation between Nag repressor molecules bound to its two operator sites is necessary for repression of the nag regulon of Escherichia coli in vivo. Mol Microbiol. 1993;10:973-81 pubmed..These observations show that repression is the result of co-operative binding of the repressor to its two sites, resulting in the formation of a loop of DNA. ..
- Le Roux I, Joliot A, Bloch Gallego E, Prochiantz A, Volovitch M. Neurotrophic activity of the Antennapedia homeodomain depends on its specific DNA-binding properties. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:9120-4 pubmed..We propose that homeoproteins might regulate important events in the morphological differentiation of the postmitotic neuron. ..