Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland
Locale: Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland
Publications748 found, 100 shown here
- Mäkitie L, Kanerva K, Polvikoski T, Paetau A, Andersson L. Brain neurons express ornithine decarboxylase-activating antizyme inhibitor 2 with accumulation in Alzheimer's disease. Brain Pathol. 2010;20:571-80 pubmed publisher..The subcellular distribution of AZIN2 suggests a role in vesicular trafficking. ..
- Spoov J, Bredbacka P, Stenman U. An abnormal relation between basal prolactin levels and prolactin response to 12.5 microg TRH i.v. in drug-naïve patients with first-episode schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2010;119:41-6 pubmed publisher..v., but not by 12.5 microg TRH i.v. As far as we know, this is the first study to report an abnormality in TRH-induced prolactin release in acute schizophrenia. ..
- Haapasalo K, Suomalainen P, Sukura A, Siikamaki H, Jokiranta T. Fatal babesiosis in man, Finland, 2004. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:1116-8 pubmed publisher..He had a rudimentary spleen, coexisting Lyme borreliosis, exceptional dark streaks on his extremities, and subsequent disseminated aspergillosis. He was infected with Babesia divergens, which usually causes bovine babesiosis in Finland...
- Mälkönen T, Alanko K, Jolanki R, Luukkonen R, Aalto Korte K, Lauerma A, et al. Long-term follow-up study of occupational hand eczema. Br J Dermatol. 2010;163:999-1006 pubmed publisher..Those who ended up changing occupation due to their OHE had a better medical and economic prognosis. ..
- Greco D, Kivi N, Qian K, Leivonen S, Auvinen P, Auvinen E. Human papillomavirus 16 E5 modulates the expression of host microRNAs. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21646 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that HPV infection and subsequent transformation take place through complex regulatory patterns of gene expression in the host cells, part of which are regulated by the E5 protein. ..
- Roomets E, Polinati P, Euro L, Eskelin P, Paganus A, Tyni T. Carrier frequency of a common mutation of carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1A deficiency and long-term follow-up in Finland. J Pediatr. 2012;160:473-479.e1 pubmed publisher..Despite Finland's location close to the Arctic polar region, the carrier frequency of the c.1364A>C mutation in Finland is far lower than that of the variants found in Alaskan, Canadian, and Greenland native populations. ..
- Konttinen H, Sarlio Lähteenkorva S, Silventoinen K, Mannisto S, Haukkala A. Socio-economic disparities in the consumption of vegetables, fruit and energy-dense foods: the role of motive priorities. Public Health Nutr. 2013;16:873-82 pubmed publisher..Individual priorities in food choice motives, rather than the absolute importance of single motives, play a role in producing SES disparities in diet. ..
- Pelttari L, Nurminen R, Gylfe A, Aaltonen L, Schleutker J, Nevanlinna H. Screening of Finnish RAD51C founder mutations in prostate and colorectal cancer patients. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:552 pubmed publisher..No RAD51C mutations c.837?+?1G?>?A or c.93delG were detected among the prostate or colorectal cancer patients. The results suggest that the RAD51C mutations do not predispose to prostate or colorectal cancer. ..
- Mehine M, Kaasinen E, Mäkinen N, Katainen R, Kämpjärvi K, Pitkänen E, et al. Characterization of uterine leiomyomas by whole-genome sequencing. N Engl J Med. 2013;369:43-53 pubmed publisher..We observed that multiple separate tumors could be seeded from a single lineage of uterine leiomyoma cells. (Funded by the Academy of Finland Center of Excellence program and others.). ..
- Riihilä P, Nissinen L, Ala aho R, Kallajoki M, Grenman R, Meri S, et al. Complement factor H: a biomarker for progression of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. J Invest Dermatol. 2014;134:498-506 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence for a role of CFH and FHL-1 in cSCC progression and identify them as progression markers and potential therapeutic targets in SCCs of skin. ..
- Di Angelantonio E, Gao P, Khan H, Butterworth A, Wormser D, Kaptoge S, et al. Glycated hemoglobin measurement and prediction of cardiovascular disease. JAMA. 2014;311:1225-33 pubmed publisher..In a study of individuals without known CVD or diabetes, additional assessment of HbA1c values in the context of CVD risk assessment provided little incremental benefit for prediction of CVD risk. ..
- Young T, Revich B, Soininen L. Suicide in circumpolar regions: an introduction and overview. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2015;74:27349 pubmed publisher..Much remains to be learned about the design and implementation of youth-focused intervention programmes, especially in a circumpolar comparative framework. ..
- Jalanko H, Mattila I, Holmberg C. Renal transplantation in infants. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016;31:725-35 pubmed publisher..The overall outcome of infant RTx has dramatically improved, with long-term patient and graft survivals of over 90 and 80Â %, respectively. ..
- Figueiredo R, Roos E, Eriksson J, Simola Ström S, Weiderpass E. Maternal alcohol and tobacco consumption and the association with their 9 to 14-year-old children's Body Mass Index. Scand J Public Health. 2017;45:503-510 pubmed publisher..If other studies confirm these results, public health interventions aiming at healthy weight of adolescents should target the whole family, not only the adolescents themselves. ..
- Ruutu T, Eriksson B, Remes K, Juvonen E, Volin L, Remberger M, et al. Ursodeoxycholic acid for the prevention of hepatic complications in allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Blood. 2002;100:1977-83 pubmed..In conclusion, UDCA administration reduced hepatic problems and severe acute GVHD and improved survival. These results suggest a role for UDCA in the prevention of transplant-related complications in allogeneic transplantation. ..
- Rudanko S, Laatikainen L. Visual impairment in children born at full term from 1972 through 1989 in Finland. Ophthalmology. 2004;111:2307-12 pubmed..The findings reflected the lack of treatment for genetic eye diseases. The results also confirmed an obvious need for further understanding of mechanisms underlying congenital anomalies of the human visual system. ..
- Salonen J, Leminen A, Stenman U, Butzow R, Heikinheimo M, Heikinheimo O. Tissue AP-2gamma and Oct-3/4, and serum CA 125 as diagnostic and prognostic markers of malignant ovarian germ cell tumors. Tumour Biol. 2008;29:50-6 pubmed publisher..Taken together, increased preoperative serum CA 125 levels indicate poor prognosis of MOGCTs. Tissue AP-2gamma and Oct-3/4 are associated with dysgerminomas and can thus be used as additional differential diagnostic tools in MOGCTs. ..
- Sandbacka M, Painter J, Puhakka M, Halttunen M, Laivuori H, Aittomaki K. Does the Y chromosome have a role in Müllerian aplasia?. Fertil Steril. 2010;94:120-5 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the studied Y-specific fragments, namely TSPY1 and 38 Y chromosomal markers, are not responsible for the syndrome in these Finnish patients with Müllerian aplasia. ..
- Ylipaasto P, Smura T, Gopalacharyulu P, Paananen A, Seppanen Laakso T, Kaijalainen S, et al. Enterovirus-induced gene expression profile is critical for human pancreatic islet destruction. Diabetologia. 2012;55:3273-83 pubmed publisher..More likely the combined effect of these and possibly cellular energy depletion lie behind the enterovirus-induced necrosis of islets. ..
- Lönnqvist L, Child A, Kainulainen K, Davidson R, Puhakka L, Peltonen L. A novel mutation of the fibrillin gene causing ectopia lentis. Genomics. 1994;19:573-6 pubmed..This provides a possible explanation for the role of this mutation in the disease pathogenesis...
- Huhtinen M, Repo H, Laasila K, Jansson S, Kautiainen H, Karma A, et al. Systemic inflammation and innate immune response in patients with previous anterior uveitis. Br J Ophthalmol. 2002;86:412-7 pubmed..Patients with previous acute anterior uveitis show high innate immune responsiveness that may play a part in the development of ocular inflammation. ..
- Pettersson Fernholm K, Karvonen M, Kallio J, Forsblom C, Koulu M, Pesonen U, et al. Leucine 7 to proline 7 polymorphism in the preproneuropeptide Y is associated with proteinuria, coronary heart disease, and glycemic control in type 1 diabetic patients. Diabetes Care. 2004;27:503-9 pubmed..We conclude that the Leu7Pro polymorphism may contribute to the genetic susceptibility to diabetic nephropathy and CHD in type 1 diabetic patients, possibly by influencing glycemic control and triglycerides. ..
- Aubertin Leheudre M, Koskela A, Marjamaa A, Adlercreutz H. Plasma alkylresorcinols and urinary alkylresorcinol metabolites as biomarkers of cereal fiber intake in Finnish women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008;17:2244-8 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that assay of plasma ARs or urinary AR metabolites may be used as biomarkers in epidemiologic studies in free-living populations to evaluate the role of cereal fiber intake in various diseases. ..
- Viljakainen H, Väisänen M, Kemi V, Rikkonen T, Kroger H, Laitinen E, et al. Wintertime vitamin D supplementation inhibits seasonal variation of calcitropic hormones and maintains bone turnover in healthy men. J Bone Miner Res. 2009;24:346-52 pubmed publisher..A daily intake of vitamin D in the range of 17.5-20 microg (700-800 IU) seems to be required to prevent winter seasonal increases in PTH and maintain stable bone turnover in young, healthy white men. ..
- Gursoy U, Kononen E, Uitto V. Intracellular replication of fusobacteria requires new actin filament formation of epithelial cells. APMIS. 2008;116:1063-70 pubmed publisher..Thus, fusobacteria are able to adhere to and invade epithelial cells, and survive under aerobic conditions. This property may enable them to survive in mucosa and participate in various disease processes of oral and pharyngeal tissues. ..
- Mesimäki K, Lindroos B, Tornwall J, Mauno J, Lindqvist C, Kontio R, et al. Novel maxillary reconstruction with ectopic bone formation by GMP adipose stem cells. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;38:201-9 pubmed publisher..This is the first clinical case where ectopic bone was produced using autoASCs in microvascular reconstruction surgery and it will pave way for new clinical trials in the field. ..
- Ma G, Miettinen S, Porola P, Hedman K, Salo J, Konttinen Y. Human parainfluenza virus type 2 (HPIV2) induced host ADAM8 expression in human salivary adenocarcinoma cell line (HSY) during cell fusion. BMC Microbiol. 2009;9:55 pubmed publisher..The virus-HSY cell system provides a novel experimental model for study of the molecular mechanism of cell fusion events. ..
- Seppänen L, Rautemaa R, Lindqvist C, Lauhio A. Changing clinical features of odontogenic maxillofacial infections. Clin Oral Investig. 2010;14:459-65 pubmed publisher..Odontogenic maxillofacial infections have become more prevalent and more severe during the decade in our hospital district. An increasing proportion of patients had underlying diseases. ..
- Siljander T, Lyytikainen O, Vahakuopus S, Snellman M, Jalava J, Vuopio J. Epidemiology, outcome and emm types of invasive group A streptococcal infections in Finland. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2010;29:1229-35 pubmed publisher..01). Changes in emm type prevalence influenced incidence and case fatality. Differences in age- and sex-specific incidence and seasonal patterns suggest variations in predisposing factors and underlying conditions. ..
- Pulkki M, Myllymaa S, Pasternack A, Lun S, Ludlow H, Al Qahtani A, et al. The bioactivity of human bone morphogenetic protein-15 is sensitive to C-terminal modification: characterization of the purified untagged processed mature region. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2011;332:106-15 pubmed publisher..This is the first characterization of a purified untagged human BMP15 mature region, which is stable and highly bioactive in human and rodent granulosa cells and as such is of importance for studies on human fertility. ..
- Oiva J, Mustonen H, Kylanpaa M, Kyhälä L, Kuuliala K, Siitonen S, et al. Acute pancreatitis with organ dysfunction associates with abnormal blood lymphocyte signaling: controlled laboratory study. Crit Care. 2010;14:R207 pubmed publisher..Our study purpose was to delineate signaling profiles of circulating lymphocytes in acute pancreatitis complicated by organ dysfunction...
- Tammela T, Saaristo A, Holopainen T, Yla Herttuala S, Andersson L, Virolainen S, et al. Photodynamic ablation of lymphatic vessels and intralymphatic cancer cells prevents metastasis. Sci Transl Med. 2011;3:69ra11 pubmed publisher..Photodynamic therapy, when combined with anti-lymphangiogenic therapy, prevented further tumor invasion of lymphatic vessels. These findings highlight the potential of targeting in-transit tumor cells in patients...
- Widen E, Silventoinen K, Sovio U, Ripatti S, Cousminer D, Hartikainen A, et al. Pubertal timing and growth influences cardiometabolic risk factors in adult males and females. Diabetes Care. 2012;35:850-6 pubmed publisher..The connection emphasizes that the mechanisms advancing puberty may also contribute to adult metabolic disorders. ..
- Ervasti J, Kivimaki M, Puusniekka R, Luopa P, Pentti J, Suominen S, et al. Association of pupil vandalism, bullying and truancy with teachers' absence due to illness: a multilevel analysis. J Sch Psychol. 2012;50:347-61 pubmed publisher..Further work should determine whether problem behaviour is a cause or a consequence of absences or whether the association is noncausal. ..
- Talala K, Martelin T, Haukkala A, Härkänen T, Prättälä R. Socio-economic differences in self-reported insomnia and stress in Finland from 1979 to 2002: a population-based repeated cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health. 2012;12:650 pubmed publisher..However, some of the associations in socio-economic differences were curvilinear and converse. Future studies are needed to explore the complex socio-economic gradients, especially in stress. ..
- Tuuminen T, Suomala P, Vuorinen S. Sarcina ventriculi in blood: the first documented report since 1872. BMC Infect Dis. 2013;13:169 pubmed publisher..In the next issue of BMJ Dr. Charlton Bastian expressed concerns that Sarcina might indeed be "really a living thing" or "might be partly organic and partly mineral in its constitutions"...
- Carstensen B, Read S, Friis S, Sund R, KeskimÃ¤ki I, Svensson A, et al. Cancer incidence in persons with type 1 diabetes: a five-country study of 9,000 cancers in type 1 diabetic individuals. Diabetologia. 2016;59:980-8 pubmed publisher..90 [0.85, 0.94]). HRs declined with increasing diabetes duration. Type 1 diabetes was associated with differences in the risk of several common cancers; the strength of these associations varied with the duration of diabetes. ..
- IjÃ¤s P, Melkas S, Saksi J, Jula A, Jauhiainen M, Oksala N, et al. Haptoglobin Hp2 Variant Promotes Premature Cardiovascular Death in Stroke Survivors. Stroke. 2017;48:1463-1469 pubmed publisher..28-4.43) after adjustment for major cardiovascular risk factors. Hp2 allele is associated with premature ischemic cardiovascular deaths after first-ever ischemic stroke. ..
- Heiskanen T, Lundkvist A, Soliymani R, Koivunen E, Vaheri A, Lankinen H. Phage-displayed peptides mimicking the discontinuous neutralization sites of puumala Hantavirus envelope glycoproteins. Virology. 1999;262:321-32 pubmed..Similarities of the selected phage clones to a monoclonal antibody-escape mutant site and to a linear early-phase epitope were found...
- Suppola J, Kolho E, Salmenlinna S, Tarkka E, Vuopio Varkila J, Vaara M. vanA and vanB incorporate into an endemic ampicillin-resistant vancomycin-sensitive Enterococcus faecium strain: effect on interpretation of clonality. J Clin Microbiol. 1999;37:3934-9 pubmed..None of the differences was specific to or determinative for any of the groups. Our material suggests that vanA and vanB incorporate into an endemic ampicillin-resistant VSE strain. ..
- Kokkola A, Sipponen P, Rautelin H, Harkonen M, Kosunen T, Haapiainen R, et al. The effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on the natural course of atrophic gastritis with dysplasia. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2002;16:515-20 pubmed..3 to 25.7 microg/L (P=0.0071, Wilcoxon signed rank test) after eradication therapy. The results suggest that advanced atrophic corpus gastritis (and intestinal metaplasia) improves and may even heal after the eradication of H. pylori. ..
- Kujala T, Lovio R, Lepistö T, Laasonen M, Naatanen R. Evaluation of multi-attribute auditory discrimination in dyslexia with the mismatch negativity. Clin Neurophysiol. 2006;117:885-93 pubmed..In dyslexia research, the new 5-deviant MMN paradigm is feasible and even more sensitive than the traditional oddball paradigm. ..
- Helenius L, Tervahartiala P, Helenius I, Al Sukhun J, Kivisaari L, Suuronen R, et al. Clinical, radiographic and MRI findings of the temporomandibular joint in patients with different rheumatic diseases. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006;35:983-9 pubmed..A panoramic recording is not indicated when MRI is planned. ..
- Vauhkonen H, Savola S, Kaur S, Larramendy M, Knuutila S. Molecular karyotyping in sarcoma diagnostics and research. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2006;587:53-63 pubmed..We review here the clinically most relevant cytogenetic and molecular changes in sarcomas and describe latest microarray techniques for screening of clinically relevant gene copy number and expression changes. ..
- Ilonen I, Koivusalo A, Hockerstedt K, Isoniemi H. Albumin dialysis has no clear effect on cytokine levels in patients with life-threatening liver insufficiency. Transplant Proc. 2006;38:3540-3 pubmed..In this study, MARS therapy did not show a clearly identifiable efficacy at removing circulating cytokines. However, the results revealed that ALF and AcOChr patients displayed different profiles of circulating cytokines. ..
- Lin R, Takahashi K, Karjalainen A, Hoshuyama T, Wilson D, Kameda T, et al. Ecological association between asbestos-related diseases and historical asbestos consumption: an international analysis. Lancet. 2007;369:844-849 pubmed publisher..Our data strongly support the recommendation that all countries should move towards eliminating use of asbestos. ..
- Joensuu H, de Braud F, Coco P, De Pas T, Putzu C, Spreafico C, et al. Phase II, open-label study of PTK787/ZK222584 for the treatment of metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumors resistant to imatinib mesylate. Ann Oncol. 2008;19:173-7 pubmed..8 months and two SDs at 16.6 and 18.6 months on treatment. PTK/ZK was generally well tolerated. PTK/ZK 1250 mg p.o. once daily is active and well tolerated in patients with imatinib-resistant GIST. ..
- Malila N, Oivanen T, Malminiemi O, Hakama M. Test, episode, and programme sensitivities of screening for colorectal cancer as a public health policy in Finland: experimental design. BMJ. 2008;337:a2261 pubmed publisher..Thus, screening for colorectal cancer using any primary test modality should be launched in a public health programme with randomisation of the target population at the implementation phase. ..
- Salonen J, Butzow R, Palvimo J, Heikinheimo M, Heikinheimo O. Oestrogen receptors and small nuclear ring finger protein 4 (RNF4) in malignant ovarian germ cell tumours. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;307:205-10 pubmed publisher..Neither E2 nor ICI 182,780 had an effect on the proliferation of NCC-IT cells as assessed by flow cytometric analysis. Our results suggest that oestrogen signalling has a role in malignant ovarian germ cell tumours. ..
- Nystedt J, Anderson H, Hirvonen T, Impola U, Jaatinen T, Heiskanen A, et al. Human CMP-N-acetylneuraminic acid hydroxylase is a novel stem cell marker linked to stem cell-specific mechanisms. Stem Cells. 2010;28:258-67 pubmed publisher..These results add further emphasis to the crucial need for completely xenofree culturing conditions for human stem cells. ..
- Laitinen E, Tommiska J, Dunkel L, Sankilampi U, Vaaralahti K, Raivio T. Idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in a mother and her monozygotic twins born after a single embryo transfer. Fertil Steril. 2010;93:2074.e13-6 pubmed publisher..Our report underlines that assisted reproductive techniques enable the inheritance of gene mutations causing infertility. This is the first report on the phenotypic features of MZ twins with an FGFR1 mutation. ..
- Sistonen S, Koivusalo A, Nieminen U, Lindahl H, Lohi J, Kero M, et al. Esophageal morbidity and function in adults with repaired esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistula: a population-based long-term follow-up. Ann Surg. 2010;251:1167-73 pubmed publisher..Significant esophageal morbidity associated with EA extends into adulthood. Surgical complications, increasing age, and impaired esophageal motility predict development of epithelial metaplasia after repair of EA. ..
- Ripatti S, Tikkanen E, Orho Melander M, Havulinna A, Silander K, Sharma A, et al. A multilocus genetic risk score for coronary heart disease: case-control and prospective cohort analyses. Lancet. 2010;376:1393-400 pubmed publisher..The potential clinical use of this panel of SNPs remains to be defined. The Wellcome Trust; Academy of Finland Center of Excellence for Complex Disease Genetics; US National Institutes of Health; the Donovan Family Foundation. ..
- Laine C, Chung B, Susic M, Prescott T, Semler O, Fiskerstrand T, et al. Novel mutations affecting LRP5 splicing in patients with osteoporosis-pseudoglioma syndrome (OPPG). Eur J Hum Genet. 2011;19:875-81 pubmed publisher..One patient carried a homozygous deletion of exon 4 causing the loss of exons 4 and 5, as demonstrated by cDNA analysis. Our results broaden the spectrum of mutations in LRP5 and provide the first functional data on splice aberrations. ..
- Pesonen M, Kallio M, Siimes M, Savilahti E, Ranki A. Serum immunoglobulin A concentration in infancy, but not human milk immunoglobulin A, is associated with subsequent atopic manifestations in children and adolescents: a 20-year prospective follow-up study. Clin Exp Allergy. 2011;41:688-96 pubmed publisher..Maternal milk IgA concentrations are not associated with subsequent allergic symptoms in the recipient infant. The present study provides novel information on the role of IgA in the development of respiratory allergy and sensitization. ..
- Korhonen S, Hiltunen Back E, Puolakkainen M. Genotyping of Chlamydia trachomatis in rectal and pharyngeal specimens: identification of LGV genotypes in Finland. Sex Transm Infect. 2012;88:465-9 pubmed..The data show that LGV infections occur also in Finland. LGV should be taken into account when considering treatment and management of rectal C trachomatis infections. ..
- Mosakhani N, Lahti L, Borze I, Karjalainen Lindsberg M, Sundström J, Ristamaki R, et al. MicroRNA profiling predicts survival in anti-EGFR treated chemorefractory metastatic colorectal cancer patients with wild-type KRAS and BRAF. Cancer Genet. 2012;205:545-51 pubmed publisher..In mCRC patients with wild-type KRAS/BRAF, miRNA profiling can efficiently predict the benefits of anti-EGFRmAb treatment. Larger series of patients are necessary for application of these miRNAs as predictive/prognostic markers. ..
- Hackman P, Sarparanta J, Lehtinen S, Vihola A, EvilÃ¤ A, Jonson P, et al. Welander distal myopathy is caused by a mutation in the RNA-binding protein TIA1. Ann Neurol. 2013;73:500-9 pubmed publisher..WDM is caused by mutated TIA1 through a dominant pathomechanism probably involving altered stress granule dynamics. ..
- Richter U, Lahtinen T, Marttinen P, Myöhänen M, Greco D, Cannino G, et al. A mitochondrial ribosomal and RNA decay pathway blocks cell proliferation. Curr Biol. 2013;23:535-41 pubmed publisher..This mitochondrial ribosome quality-control pathway is actively monitored in cells and constitutes an important organelle checkpoint for cell division. ..
- Peyrard Janvid M, Leslie E, Kousa Y, Smith T, Dunnwald M, Magnusson M, et al. Dominant mutations in GRHL3 cause Van der Woude Syndrome and disrupt oral periderm development. Am J Hum Genet. 2014;94:23-32 pubmed publisher..They supported the hypotheses that both genes are essential for the presence of a functional oral periderm and that failure of this process contributes to VWS. ..
- Fingelkurts A, Fingelkurts A, Kallio Tamminen T. Long-term meditation training induced changes in the operational synchrony of default mode network modules during a resting state. Cogn Process. 2016;17:27-37 pubmed publisher..Significance of these findings is discussed. ..
- Schmidt E, Spindler V, Eming R, Amagai M, Antonicelli F, Baines J, et al. Meeting Report of the Pathogenesis of Pemphigus and Pemphigoid Meeting in Munich, September 2016. J Invest Dermatol. 2017;137:1199-1203 pubmed publisher..Finally, two investigator-initiated multicenter trials highlighted doxycycline and dapsone as valuable medications in the treatment of bullous pemphigoid. ..
- Turcotte M, Allard D, Mittal D, Bareche Y, Buisseret L, JosÃ© V, et al. CD73 Promotes Resistance to HER2/ErbB2 Antibody Therapy. Cancer Res. 2017;77:5652-5663 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our findings establish CD73 in mediating resistance to trastuzumab and provide new insights into how CD73 is regulated in breast cancer. Cancer Res; 77(20); 5652-63. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Soukka A, Alaranta H, Tallroth K, Heliovaara M. Leg-length inequality in people of working age. The association between mild inequality and low-back pain is questionable. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1991;16:429-31 pubmed..78 (95% confidence interval, 0.43-1.17) and 1.02 (0.68-1.38), respectively, for an increase of 5 mm in leg-length inequality. The results from this study make an association between mild leg-length inequality and LBP questionable. ..
- Kinnula V, Linnala A, Viitala E, Linnainmaa K, Virtanen I. Tenascin and fibronectin expression in human mesothelial cells and pleural mesothelioma cell-line cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1998;19:445-52 pubmed..Furthermore, results obtained with the tumor tissue of these same mesothelioma patients suggested that Fn and Tn expressions do not necessarily parallel either each other or results obtained with the cultured cells. ..
- Korsisaari N, Mäkelä T. Interactions of Cdk7 and Kin28 with Hint/PKCI-1 and Hnt1 histidine triad proteins. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:34837-40 pubmed..The physical and genetic interactions of Hint and Hnt1 with Cdk7 and Kin28 suggest a role for this class of histidine triad proteins in the regulation of Cdk7 and Kin28 functions. ..
- Suvisaari J, Mautemps N, Haukka J, Hovi T, Lonnqvist J. Childhood central nervous system viral infections and adult schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:1183-5 pubmed..99% among individuals who had suffered enteroviral infections. These rates are comparable to that found in the general population. Childhood viral CNS infections were not associated with increased risk of schizophrenia. ..
- Hannu T, Sihto Kauppi K, Kotaniemi K, Kauppi M. Acute anterior uveitis in association with an outbreak of Campylobacter jejuni infection. Scand J Rheumatol. 2004;33:55-7 pubmed
- Ahola T, Fellman V, Kjellmer I, Raivio K, Lapatto R. Plasma 8-isoprostane is increased in preterm infants who develop bronchopulmonary dysplasia or periventricular leukomalacia. Pediatr Res. 2004;56:88-93 pubmed..01) in infants who later developed periventricular leukomalacia [287 (124) versus 194 (90)]. These data suggest that plasma 8-isoprostane could serve as a marker in assessing the risk for BPD development in ELBWIs. ..
- Kangas A, Evans A, Thesleff I, Jernvall J. Nonindependence of mammalian dental characters. Nature. 2004;432:211-4 pubmed..Our results suggest that most aspects of tooth shape have the developmental potential for correlated changes during evolution which may, if not taken into account, obscure phylogenetic history...
- Auvinen E, Niemi M, Malm C, Zilliacus R, Trontti A, Fingerroos R, et al. High prevalence of HPV among female students in Finland. Scand J Infect Dis. 2005;37:873-6 pubmed..3% were positive for high-risk HPV. The study demonstrated a strikingly high HPV DNA prevalence among the young women. Self-collected samples proved to be acceptable for HPV DNA detection using liquid hybridization. ..
- Melchjorsen J, Sirén J, Julkunen I, Paludan S, Matikainen S. Induction of cytokine expression by herpes simplex virus in human monocyte-derived macrophages and dendritic cells is dependent on virus replication and is counteracted by ICP27 targeting NF-kappaB and IRF-3. J Gen Virol. 2006;87:1099-108 pubmed..It is further identified that viral IE-gene expression interferes with the antiviral response in human macrophages and ICP27 is identified as an important viral protein counteracting the early innate immune response. ..
- Katz S, Hukkanen M, Lounatmaa K, Rousselle P, Tervo T, Virtanen I. Cooperation of isoforms of laminin-332 and tenascin-CL during early adhesion and spreading of immortalized human corneal epithelial cells. Exp Eye Res. 2006;83:1412-22 pubmed..Furthermore, the results show that Lm-3'32 isoform functions in the spreading of the cells beyond the early adhesion stage and appears to emerge into HCE cells starting to migrate in experimental wounds. ..
- Salminen S, Böstman O, Kiuru M, Pihlajamaki H. Bilateral femoral fatigue fracture: an unusual fracture in a military recruit. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;456:259-63 pubmed..Osteopenia still could be detected at the final examination. Nonoperative treatment with careful followup resulted in a favorable outcome in the nondisplaced bilateral distal fatigue femoral fractures in this patient. ..
- Heckman C, Holopainen T, Wirzenius M, Keskitalo S, Jeltsch M, Yla Herttuala S, et al. The tyrosine kinase inhibitor cediranib blocks ligand-induced vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-3 activity and lymphangiogenesis. Cancer Res. 2008;68:4754-62 pubmed publisher..Cediranib may, therefore, be an effective means of preventing tumor progression, not only by inhibiting VEGFR-2 activity and angiogenesis, but also by concomitantly inhibiting VEGFR-3 activity and lymphangiogenesis. ..
- Wiksten J, Lundin J, Nordling S, Kokkola A, Haglund C. Comparison of the prognostic value of a panel of tissue tumor markers and established clinicopathological factors in patients with gastric cancer. Anticancer Res. 2008;28:2279-87 pubmed..However, the established indicators of the extent of disease show an impressively high accuracy in 5-year outcome prediction and adding the examined tumor markers to the base model does not significantly improve the prognostic accuracy. ..
- Wedenoja S, Ormälä T, Berg U, Halling S, Jalanko H, Karikoski R, et al. The impact of sodium chloride and volume depletion in the chronic kidney disease of congenital chloride diarrhea. Kidney Int. 2008;74:1085-93 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the transporter is expressed in the distal nephron but the recurrence of nephrocalcinosis in the transplanted kidney suggests that it does not play a significant renal role in this syndrome...
- Lyytikainen O, Turunen H, Sund R, Rasinperä M, Kononen E, Ruutu P, et al. Hospitalizations and deaths associated with Clostridium difficile infection, Finland, 1996-2004. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:761-5 pubmed publisher..8 remained stable. The age-standardized mortality rate associated with CDAD increased from 9/million in 1998 to 17/million in 2004; the increase was limited to persons 7gt;64 years of age. ..
- Lindholm D, Bornhauser B, Korhonen L. Mylip makes an Idol turn into regulation of LDL receptor. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2009;66:3399-402 pubmed publisher..This may open up new possibilities in the future to influence LDL receptor levels and cholesterol metabolism pharmacologically in various diseases. ..
- Launiainen T, Sajantila A, Rasanen I, Vuori E, Ojanpera I. Adverse interaction of warfarin and paracetamol: evidence from a post-mortem study. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2010;66:97-103 pubmed publisher..It also accentuates the significant role post-mortem database research can have in improving drug safety. ..
- Black S, Eskola J, Siegrist C, Halsey N, MacDonald N, Law B, et al. Importance of background rates of disease in assessment of vaccine safety during mass immunisation with pandemic H1N1 influenza vaccines. Lancet. 2009;374:2115-2122 pubmed publisher..3 cases of optic neuritis per 10 million population would be expected within 6 weeks of vaccination. 397 per 1 million vaccinated pregnant women would be predicted to have a spontaneous abortion within 1 day of vaccination. ..
- Visapaa H, Hotakainen K, Lundin J, Ala Opas M, Stenman U. The proportion of free PSA and upgrading of biopsy Gleason score after radical prostatectomy. Urol Int. 2010;84:378-81 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the selection of prostate cancer patients for active surveillance or re-biopsy may be improved by using %fPSA as a predictor of significant upgrading. ..
- Pihlajamaki H, Hietaniemi K, Paavola M, Visuri T, Mattila V. Surgical versus functional treatment for acute ruptures of the lateral ligament complex of the ankle in young men: a randomized controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010;92:2367-74 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to establish whether surgery provides better long-term results than functional treatment for acute ruptures of the lateral ligaments of the ankle...
- Kluger N. [Sauna: cardiac and vascular benefits and risks]. Presse Med. 2011;40:895-9 pubmed publisher..Besides, results from recent Japanese studies seem to point out potential benefits for patients with chronic congestive heart failure, but the results need confirmation. ..
- Ervasti J, Kivimaki M, Puusniekka R, Luopa P, Pentti J, Suominen S, et al. Students' school satisfaction as predictor of teachers' sickness absence: a prospective cohort study. Eur J Public Health. 2012;22:215-9 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a link between social relationships at school, as indexed by students' school satisfaction, and teachers' sick leaves, with the strongest associations seen for absences with mental health diagnoses. ..
- Fredriksson Ahomaa M, Cernela N, Hachler H, Stephan R. Yersinia enterocolitica strains associated with human infections in Switzerland 2001-2010. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2012;31:1543-50 pubmed publisher..Y. enterocolitica 2/O:5,27 and 2/O:9 strains showed resistance to amoxicillin/clavulanic acid and cefoxitin, but Y. enterocolitica 4/O:3 strains did not...
- Tuovinen S, Raikkonen K, Pesonen A, Lahti M, Heinonen K, Wahlbeck K, et al. Hypertensive disorders in pregnancy and risk of severe mental disorders in the offspring in adulthood: the Helsinki Birth Cohort Study. J Psychiatr Res. 2012;46:303-10 pubmed publisher..Preeclampsia seems to, in turn, associate with lower risk of severe mental disorders in male offspring. ..