Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on finland in Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland
Locale: Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland
Publications190 found, 100 shown here
- Auvinen A, Kurttio P, Pekkanen J, Pukkala E, Ilus T, Salonen L. Uranium and other natural radionuclides in drinking water and risk of leukemia: a case-cohort study in Finland. Cancer Causes Control. 2002;13:825-9 pubmed..We assessed the effect of natural uranium and other radionuclides in drinking water on risk of leukemia...
- Luoto R, Simojoki M, Uutela A, Boice J, McLaughlin J, Puska P. Consistency of use of plant stanol ester margarine in Finland. Public Health Nutr. 2004;7:63-8 pubmed..There is nevertheless a relatively large subgroup of long-term users of plant stanol ester margarine. It is important to examine the health effects especially among these regular users. ..
- Enattah N, Sulkava R, Halonen P, Kontula K, Jarvela I. Genetic variant of lactase-persistent C/T-13910 is associated with bone fractures in very old age. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005;53:79-82 pubmed..5 (95% CI=1.2-5.2), and hip and wrist fractures combined with an adjusted OR of 4.1 (95% CI=2.0-8.3). The C/C(-13910) genotype associated with primary LM could represent a genetic risk factor for bone fractures for elderly people. ..
- Puska P, Lemmelä S, Kristo P, Sankila E, Jarvela I. Penetrance and phenotype of the Thr377Met Myocilin mutation in a large Finnish family with juvenile- and adult-onset primary open-angle glaucoma. Ophthalmic Genet. 2005;26:17-23 pubmed..These findings may facilitate genetic counseling, and early diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma. The possible interaction of factors contributing to RVO in conjunction with the Thr377Met mutation warrants further investigation. ..
- Guo J, Pukkala E, Kyyrönen P, Lindbohm M, Heikkilä P, Kauppinen T. Testicular cancer, occupation and exposure to chemical agents among Finnish men in 1971-1995. Cancer Causes Control. 2005;16:97-103 pubmed..Risk of testicular cancer increased only in four occupations. Pesticides, textile dust, and some organic solvents may be related to an excess risk of seminoma. ..
- Ekström N, Vakevainen M, Verho J, Kilpi T, Kayhty H. Functional antibodies elicited by two heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccines in the Finnish Otitis Media Vaccine Trial. Infect Immun. 2007;75:1794-800 pubmed..The OPA data provide valuable additional information for serotype-specific differences in protection and when evaluating serotype-specific immunogenicity and should thus be considered when defining serological correlates of protection. ..
- Kurkela S, Rätti O, Huhtamo E, Uzcategui N, Nuorti J, Laakkonen J, et al. Sindbis virus infection in resident birds, migratory birds, and humans, Finland. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:41-7 pubmed publisher..Among 2,529 persons, the age-standardized seroprevalence (1999-2003) was 5.2%; seroprevalence and incidence (1995-2003) were highest in North Karelia (eastern Finland). Grouse may contribute to the epidemiology of SINV in humans. ..
- Lahti T, Leppämäki S, Lonnqvist J, Partonen T. Transitions into and out of daylight saving time compromise sleep and the rest-activity cycles. BMC Physiol. 2008;8:3 pubmed publisher..Individuals having a higher global seasonality score suffered more from the transitions. Transitions out of and into daylight saving time enhanced night-time restlessness and thereby compromised the quality of sleep. ..
- Järvinen T, Harjutsalo V, Kinnunen L, Miettinen M, Tuomilehto Wolf E, Tuomilehto J. A population-specific diabetogenic haplotype HLA-A2,Cw1,B56,DR4,DQ8 is associated with high birthweight in Finnish diabetic families. Genes Immun. 2008;9:207-13 pubmed publisher..The high proportion of infants having a birthweight >or=4000 g in families with a diabetic offspring raises a concern of potential adverse health outcomes that high birthweight can have. ..
- Marjamaa A, Newton Cheh C, Porthan K, Reunanen A, Lahermo P, VÃ¤Ã¤nÃ¤nen H, et al. Common candidate gene variants are associated with QT interval duration in the general population. J Intern Med. 2009;265:448-58 pubmed publisher..In addition, we robustly confirm the previous findings that three independent KCNH2 and NOSA1P variants are associated with adjusted QT interval. ..
- Palikhe A, Tiirola T, Puolakkainen M, Nieminen M, Saikku P, Leinonen M, et al. Chlamydia pneumoniae DNA is present in peripheral blood mononuclear cells during acute coronary syndrome and correlates with chlamydial lipopolysaccharide levels in serum. Scand J Infect Dis. 2009;41:201-5 pubmed publisher..003). In conclusion, Chlamydia pneumoniae DNA is present during acute coronary syndrome and in the recovery period, but declines in stable state, suggesting a role of the bacterium in the acute phase of coronary syndrome...
- Hoti F, Erästö P, Leino T, Auranen K. Outbreaks of Streptococcus pneumoniae carriage in day care cohorts in Finland - implications for elimination of transmission. BMC Infect Dis. 2009;9:102 pubmed publisher..Use of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines is expected to induce a notable herd protection against pneumococcal disease. ..
- ..In the future, teleradiology services will be an integrated part of pervasive eHealth. Security requirements for this environment including dynamic and context aware security services are also discussed in this paper. ..
- Lahelma E, PietilÃ¤inen O, Rahkonen O, KivimÃ¤ki M, Martikainen P, Ferrie J, et al. Social class inequalities in health among occupational cohorts from Finland, Britain and Japan: a follow up study. Health Place. 2015;31:173-9 pubmed publisher..Japanese women showed reverse inequalities at follow up, but no health inequalities were seen among Japanese men. Health behaviours and social relations explained 4-37% of the magnitude in health inequalities, but not their widening. ..
- NevanperÃ¤ N, Seitsamo J, Ala Mursula L, Remes J, Hopsu L, Auvinen J, et al. Perceived Work Ability in the Light of Long-Term and Stress-Related Unhealthy Behaviors-a Prospective Cohort Study. Int J Behav Med. 2016;23:179-89 pubmed publisher..58 (1.62, 4.12) and women 2.48 (1.70, 3.61)]. Long-lasting and stress-related unhealthy behaviors increase the risk of poor work ability in midlife. ..
- Carstensen B, Read S, Friis S, Sund R, KeskimÃ¤ki I, Svensson A, et al. Cancer incidence in persons with type 1 diabetes: a five-country study of 9,000 cancers in type 1 diabetic individuals. Diabetologia. 2016;59:980-8 pubmed publisher..90 [0.85, 0.94]). HRs declined with increasing diabetes duration. Type 1 diabetes was associated with differences in the risk of several common cancers; the strength of these associations varied with the duration of diabetes. ..
- Korhonen V, Smit P, Haanpera M, Casali N, Ruutu P, Vasankari T, et al. Whole genome analysis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from recurrent episodes of tuberculosis, Finland, 1995-2013. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2016;22:549-54 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that the mutation rate may depend on multiple host-, strain- and treatment-related factors. ..
- Launonen E, Wallace I, Kotovirta E, Alho H, Simojoki K. Factors associated with non-adherence and misuse of opioid maintenance treatment medications and intoxicating drugs among Finnish maintenance treatment patients. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016;162:227-35 pubmed publisher..This may be done by addressing concurrent substance use orders more effectively, by ensuring that patients receive an optimal BNX dose and by providing more psychosocial support. ..
- Hugg T, Hjort J, Antikainen H, Rusanen J, Tuokila M, Korkonen S, et al. Urbanity as a determinant of exposure to grass pollen in Helsinki Metropolitan area, Finland. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186348 pubmed publisher..Pollen exposure can periodically reach such high levels even in the most urban environments that can cause allergic reactions among individuals with allergies...
- Paloneva J, Kestila M, Wu J, Salminen A, Bohling T, Ruotsalainen V, et al. Loss-of-function mutations in TYROBP (DAP12) result in a presenile dementia with bone cysts. Nat Genet. 2000;25:357-61 pubmed..No abnormalities in NK cell function were detected in PLOSL patients homozygous for a null allele of TYROBP. ..
- Joensuu T, Hamalainen R, Yuan B, Johnson C, Tegelberg S, Gasparini P, et al. Mutations in a novel gene with transmembrane domains underlie Usher syndrome type 3. Am J Hum Genet. 2001;69:673-84 pubmed..USH3 has two predicted transmembrane domains, and it shows no homology to known genes. As revealed by northern blotting and reverse-transcriptase PCR, it is expressed in many tissues, including the retina. ..
- Jussila J. Future police operations and non-lethal weapons. Med Confl Surviv. 2001;17:248-59 pubmed..Thorough research and fair and credible controls on police weaponry are needed to avert the possibility of misuse and to maintain trust. ..
- Perheentupa J. APS-I/APECED: the clinical disease and therapy. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2002;31:295-320, vi pubmed..Although mutation detection is available, it does not help to exclude this disease. Diagnostic strategy needs to be based on knowledge of the clinical picture, including the features of ectodermal dystrophy...
- Hallanvuo S, Nuorti P, Nakari U, Siitonen A. Molecular epidemiology of the five recent outbreaks of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis in Finland. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2003;529:309-12 pubmed
- Helenius L, Hallikainen D, Helenius I, Meurman J, Koskimies S, Tervahartiala P, et al. HLA-DRB1* alleles and temporomandibular joint erosion in patients with various rheumatic diseases. Scand J Rheumatol. 2004;33:24-9 pubmed..HLA antigens are significantly associated with the development of destructive lesions in the TMJ, as well as composition of saliva in patients with various rheumatic diseases. ..
- Ervasti O, Juopperi K, Kettunen P, Remes J, Rintamaki H, Latvala J, et al. The occurrence of frostbite and its risk factors in young men. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2004;63:71-80 pubmed..The purpose of this study is to analyse the life-time occurrence of frostbite in young men and its association with the cold-provoked white finger syndrome (CPWF), smoking and hand vibration...
- Hellén H, Hakola H, Pirjola L, Laurila T, Pystynen K. Ambient air concentrations, source profiles, and source apportionment of 71 different C2-C10 volatile organic compounds in urban and residential areas of Finland. Environ Sci Technol. 2006;40:103-8 pubmed..g., benzene). ..
- Johansson E, Alho H, Kiiskinen U, Poikolainen K. Abstaining from alcohol and labour market underperformance--have we forgotten the 'dry' alcoholics?. Alcohol Alcohol. 2006;41:574-9 pubmed..Otherwise abstaining does not decrease employment probability. ..
- Ruohola J, Laaksi I, Ylikomi T, Haataja R, Mattila V, Sahi T, et al. Association between serum 25(OH)D concentrations and bone stress fractures in Finnish young men. J Bone Miner Res. 2006;21:1483-8 pubmed..Considering the obvious need of additional vitamin D in prevention of stress fractures, the effects of vitamin D fortification of foods and supplementation will be subjects of interest for future research. ..
- Shiri R, Viikari Juntura E, Varonen H, Heliovaara M. Prevalence and determinants of lateral and medial epicondylitis: a population study. Am J Epidemiol. 2006;164:1065-74 pubmed..Epicondylitis is relatively common among working-age individuals in the general population. Physical load factors, smoking, and obesity are strong determinants of epicondylitis...
- Malmström K, Kaila M, Kajosaari M, Syvänen P, Juntunen Backman K. Fatal asthma in Finnish children and adolescents 1976-1998: validity of death certificates and a clinical description. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2007;42:210-5 pubmed..The validity of the death certificate diagnoses proved to be good. Poor asthma management and non or undertreatment with inhaled corticosteroids were risk factors for fatal asthma. ..
- Laakkonen H, Hölttä T, Lonnqvist T, Holmberg C, Rönnholm K. Peritoneal dialysis in children under two years of age. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2008;23:1747-53 pubmed publisher..Although results of peritoneal dialysis (PD) in small children have improved during recent years, the youngest children have poorer growth, more infections and higher mortality than do older children...
- Laitinen A, Koskinen S, Rudanko S, Martelin T, Laatikainen L, Aromaa A. Use of eye care services and need for assistance in the visually impaired. Optom Vis Sci. 2008;85:341-9 pubmed publisher..This highlights the need for regular evaluation of vision function in elderly people and for actively supplying information about rehabilitation services. ..
- Soininen J, Paavolainen P, Gronblad M, Kaapa E. Validation study of a Finnish version of the Western Ontario and McMasters University osteoarthritis index. Hip Int. 2008;18:108-11 pubmed..8, ranging from 1.15 to 2.35. In conclusion the Finnish translation of the WOMAC questionnaire performs as the original, is valid and can be used in future studies of osteoarthritis...
- Klemola P, Kaijalainen S, Ylipaasto P, Roivainen M. Diabetogenic effects of the most prevalent enteroviruses in Finnish sewage. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1150:210-2 pubmed publisher..The most commonly detected serotypes were coxsackie B viruses (CBV1-5) and echoviruses (E6, 7, 11, 25, 30). Diabetogenic effects of the most prevalent enterovirus serotypes were studied in primary human beta cells. ..
- Gissler M, Rahkonen O, Arntzen A, Cnattingius S, Andersen A, Hemminki E. Trends in socioeconomic differences in Finnish perinatal health 1991-2006. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2009;63:420-5 pubmed publisher..The trends in social inequality in perinatal health outcomes were diverging by indicator. The positive trend on diminishing socioeconomic differences found in the 1990s seems to have come to an end. ..
- Metso T, Metso A, Salonen O, Haapaniemi E, Putaala J, Artto V, et al. Adult cervicocerebral artery dissection: a single-center study of 301 Finnish patients. Eur J Neurol. 2009;16:656-61 pubmed publisher..This study provides evidence for the association of CAD with male sex, and possible association with smoking and migraine. Occlusion of the dissected artery, ICAD, and infection appear to be associated with poorer outcome. ..
- Olander R, Auranen K, Härkänen T, Leino T. High tetanus and diphtheria antitoxin concentrations in Finnish adults--time for new booster recommendations?. Vaccine. 2009;27:5295-8 pubmed publisher..g., in Denmark and Portugal should be considered. Finnish adults born before 1930 should, however, still be vaccinated with decennial boosters, especially against tetanus. ..
- HelanterÃ¤ I, Koljonen V, Finne P, Tukiainen E, Gissler M. The risk for end-stage renal disease is increased after burn. Burns. 2016;42:316-21 pubmed publisher..Our results do not support increased incidence of ESRD solely as a consequence of AKI due to burn, but burn may increase the risk of ESRD in patients with pre-existing chronic kidney disease. ..
- Elfving P, Puolakka K, Kautiainen H, Virta L, Pohjolainen T, Kaipiainen SeppÃ¤nen O. Drugs used in incident systemic lupus erythematosus - results from the Finnish nationwide register 2000-2007. Lupus. 2016;25:666-70 pubmed publisher..6 to 7.8. Over the years 2000-2007, almost all the patients with incident SLE in Finland started with a DMARD. Higher percentages of SLE patients were on medication for several common chronic diseases than in the population as a whole. ..
- Lundberg M, Renkonen S, Haglund C, Mattila P, Leivo I, Hagstrom J, et al. Association of BMI-1 and p16 as prognostic factors for head and neck carcinomas. Acta Otolaryngol. 2016;136:501-5 pubmed publisher..BMI-1 expression was most prevalent in OPSCC and LSCC, but had no clinical correlations. No correlation between p16 and BMI-1 expression was found. ..
- Lintonen T, Nevalainen J. Has the role of personal income in alcohol drinking among teenagers changed between 1983 and 2013: a series of nationally representative surveys in Finland. BMJ Open. 2017;7:e013994 pubmed publisher..Disposable income has been a significant predictor of adolescent alcohol drinking in the past 30 years. However, in the recent years, the amount of disposable money has decreased in importance. ..
- Hienonen T, Laiho P, Salovaara R, Mecklin J, Jarvinen H, Sistonen P, et al. Little evidence for involvement of MLH3 in colorectal cancer predisposition. Int J Cancer. 2003;106:292-6 pubmed..The frameshift was not present in the 30 CRC cases or in 700 cancer-free controls. While it is a difficult task to exclude a role of MLH3 in HNPCC, our study could not confirm a role for MLH3 in CRC predisposition. ..
- Tikkanen M, Nuutila M, Hiilesmaa V, Paavonen J, Ylikorkala O. Prepregnancy risk factors for placental abruption. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2006;85:40-4 pubmed..It may be possible to approximate the risk for placental abruption based on these simple prepregnancy risk factors. ..
- Väisänen O, Mäkijärvi M, Silfvast T. Prehospital ECG transmission: comparison of advanced mobile phone and facsimile devices in an urban Emergency Medical Service System. Resuscitation. 2003;57:179-85 pubmed..An advanced mobile phone is as fast and reliable as a conventional table fax in receiving ECGs. A mobile phone with advanced features is a practical tool for HEMS physicians who need to evaluate ECGs in the prehospital setting. ..
- Leirisalo Repo M, Hannu T, Mattila L. Microbial factors in spondyloarthropathies: insights from population studies. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2003;15:408-12 pubmed..The role of early antimicrobial chemotherapy for the prevention of reactive arthritis needs to be studied. ..
- Varonen H, Rautakorpi U, Huikko S, Honkanen P, Klaukka T, Laippala P, et al. Management of acute maxillary sinusitis in Finnish primary care. Results from the nationwide MIKSTRA study. Scand J Prim Health Care. 2004;22:122-7 pubmed..To study the management of acute maxillary sinusitis (AMS) in Finnish primary care and to compare it both to recommendations in national guidelines and to the management of other upper respiratory tract infections (URTI)...
- Kiuru M, Niva M, Reponen A, Pihlajamaki H. Bone stress injuries in asymptomatic elite recruits: a clinical and magnetic resonance imaging study. Am J Sports Med. 2005;33:272-6 pubmed..Only subjects who exhibit symptoms need undergo imaging studies. Subjects with an asymptomatic grade I bone stress injury may continue training but should be clinically monitored for symptoms. ..
- Pallasaho P, Meren M, Raukas Kivioja A, Ronmark E. Different labelling of obstructive airway diseases in Estonia, Finland, and Sweden. Eur J Epidemiol. 2005;20:975-83 pubmed..28 (0.25-0.31) and 0.22 (0.19-0.25), respectively, compared to Estonia. The study indicates differences in diagnostic practices of obstructive lung diseases between the three countries. ..
- Visuri T, Ulaska J, Eskelin M, Pulkkinen P. Narrowing of lumbar spinal canal predicts chronic low back pain more accurately than intervertebral disc degeneration: a magnetic resonance imaging study in young Finnish male conscripts. Mil Med. 2005;170:926-30 pubmed..Narrowing of the vertebral canal in the anteroposterior direction was more likely to produce CLBP and radiating pain than intervertebral disc degeneration or narrowing of the intervertebral nerve root canals...
- Laine A. Pathogen fitness components and genotypes differ in their sensitivity to nutrient and temperature variation in a wild plant-pathogen association. J Evol Biol. 2007;20:2371-8 pubmed
- Kaukiainen A, Martikainen R, Riala R, Reijula K, Tammilehto L. Work tasks, chemical exposure and respiratory health in construction painting. Am J Ind Med. 2008;51:1-8 pubmed..The shift from epoxy/urethane and other solvent-based paints to water-based products should be further encouraged. ..
- Dillard K, Saari S, Anttila M. Strongyloides stercoralis infection in a Finnish kennel. Acta Vet Scand. 2007;49:37 pubmed..Clinical disease varies from inapparent to severe enteritis and pneumonia. The diagnosis is based on demonstration of larvae in fresh faeces, which is best made by Baermann technique...
- Kantele A, Marti H, Felger I, Müller D, Jokiranta T. Monkey malaria in a European traveler returning from Malaysia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:1434-6 pubmed publisher..The disease is potentially life-threatening in humans; clinicians and laboratory personnel should become more aware of this pathogen in travelers. ..
- Karvanen J, Silander K, Kee F, Tiret L, Salomaa V, Kuulasmaa K, et al. The impact of newly identified loci on coronary heart disease, stroke and total mortality in the MORGAM prospective cohorts. Genet Epidemiol. 2009;33:237-46 pubmed publisher..1) were associated with blood pressure. These findings underline the need for replication studies in prospective settings and confirm the candidacy of several SNPs that may play a role in the etiology of cardiovascular disease. ..
- Palotie U, Vehkalahti M. Finnish dentists' perceptions of the longevity of direct dental restorations. Acta Odontol Scand. 2009;67:44-9 pubmed publisher..Dentists' perceptions of posterior composite longevity are significantly longer among males than among females and among private than public sector dentists, and exceed the median longevity reported in recent studies. ..
- Lyytinen H, Pukkala E, Ylikorkala O. Breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women using estradiol-progestogen therapy. Obstet Gynecol. 2009;113:65-73 pubmed publisher..The risk is lower for sequential than for continuous use, but comparable for oral and transdermal use. The risk elevation may not be uniform for all progestogens. II. ..
- Sihvo E, Salo J, Räsänen J, Rantanen T. Fatal complications of adult paraesophageal hernia: a population-based study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009;137:419-24 pubmed publisher..Except for those at high surgical risk, we recommend repair of the paraesophageal hernia, at least in symptomatic patients. ..
- Junnila S, Kokkola A, Mizuguchi T, Hirata K, Karjalainen Lindsberg M, Puolakkainen P, et al. Gene expression analysis identifies over-expression of CXCL1, SPARC, SPP1, and SULF1 in gastric cancer. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2010;49:28-39 pubmed publisher..These genes represent potential biomarkers for gastric cancer. ..
- Hovi P, Andersson S, Raikkonen K, Strang Karlsson S, Järvenpää A, Eriksson J, et al. Ambulatory blood pressure in young adults with very low birth weight. J Pediatr. 2010;156:54-59.e1 pubmed publisher..8). When socioeconomic status was taken into account, results remained unchanged. Higher rates of hypertension and higher 24-hour blood pressure among young adults with VLBW may indicate higher risk for adverse cardiovascular outcomes. ..
- Tupasela A, Sihvo S, Snell K, Jallinoja P, Aro A, Hemminki E. Attitudes towards biomedical use of tissue sample collections, consent, and biobanks among Finns. Scand J Public Health. 2010;38:46-52 pubmed publisher..This, however, did not mean that they were indifferent to the use of their samples, but most wanted the ability to control how their samples are used. ..
- HeikkilÃ¤ A, Venermo M, Kautiainen H, Aarnio P, Korhonen P. Physical Activity Improves Borderline Ankle-Brachial Index Values in a Cardiovascular Risk Population. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;32:50-6 pubmed publisher..15; 95% CI: 1.99-19.1) predicted a rise in ABI in comparison to low LTPA. Physical activity seems to improve significantly ABI values among men and women with borderline ABI (0.91-1.00). ..
- Eranti A, Kerola T, Aro A, Tikkanen J, Rissanen H, Anttonen O, et al. Diabetes, glucose tolerance, and the risk of sudden cardiac death. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2016;16:51 pubmed publisher..The higher SCD risk in diabetes patients was independent of known cardiac disease at baseline or occurrence of non-fatal cardiac event during the follow-up. ..
- Van de Velde S, Roshanov P, Kortteisto T, Kunnamo I, Aertgeerts B, Vandvik P, et al. Tailoring implementation strategies for evidence-based recommendations using computerised clinical decision support systems: protocol for the development of the GUIDES tools. Implement Sci. 2016;11:29 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, the better implementation of CCDSS may lead to better-informed decisions and improved care and patient outcomes for a wide range of conditions. PROSPERO, CRD42016033738. ..
- Hukkinen M, Mutanen A, Pakarinen M. Small bowel dilation in children with short bowel syndrome is associated with mucosal damage, bowel-derived bloodstream infections, and hepatic injury. Surgery. 2017;162:670-679 pubmed publisher..In addition to parenteral nutrition, small bowel dilation and intestinal bloodstream infections contribute to development of short bowel syndrome-associated liver disease. ..
- Aaltonen J, Björses P, Sandkuijl L, Perheentupa J, Peltonen L. An autosomal locus causing autoimmune disease: autoimmune polyglandular disease type I assigned to chromosome 21. Nat Genet. 1994;8:83-7 pubmed
- Sihvonen L, Nuotio L, Rikula U, Hirvelä Koski V, Kokkonen U. Preventing the spread of maedi-visna in sheep through a voluntary control programme in Finland. Prev Vet Med. 2000;47:213-20 pubmed..It was concluded that the control programme was salient in eradicating MV from Finland and that serological monitoring of the situation must be continuous...
- Kaunisto M, Harno H, Vanmolkot K, Gargus J, Sun G, Hamalainen E, et al. A novel missense ATP1A2 mutation in a Finnish family with familial hemiplegic migraine type 2. Neurogenetics. 2004;5:141-6 pubmed..Furthermore, the T345A mutation co-segregated with the disorder in our family and was not present in 132 healthy Finnish control individuals. For these reasons it is most likely the FHM-causing mutation in this family. ..
- Nevalainen M, Narhi T, Ainamo A. A 5-year follow-up study on the prosthetic rehabilitation of the elderly in Helsinki, Finland. J Oral Rehabil. 2004;31:647-52 pubmed..This study indicates that fixed rather than removable prostheses should be used in elderly patients. The need for a removable denture ought to be carefully considered. ..
- Hackman P, Juvonen V, Sarparanta J, Penttinen M, Aarimaa T, Uusitalo M, et al. Enrichment of the R77C alpha-sarcoglycan gene mutation in Finnish LGMD2D patients. Muscle Nerve. 2005;31:199-204 pubmed
- Pukkala E, Guo J, Kyyrönen P, Lindbohm M, Sallmen M, Kauppinen T. National job-exposure matrix in analyses of census-based estimates of occupational cancer risk. Scand J Work Environ Health. 2005;31:97-107 pubmed..The FINJEM-based method gives valid results, and it can be used to analyze large sets of register-based data on health outcomes. ..
- Solovieva S, Vehmas T, Riihimaki H, Takala E, Murtomaa H, Luoma K, et al. Finger osteoarthritis and differences in dental work tasks. J Dent Res. 2006;85:344-8 pubmed..22; 95%CI 1.04-4.91). The pattern of dental work task history is associated with the localization of osteoarthritis in the fingers. ..
- Reinivuo H, Valsta L, Laatikainen T, Tuomilehto J, Pietinen P. Sodium in the Finnish diet: II trends in dietary sodium intake and comparison between intake and 24-h excretion of sodium. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2006;60:1160-7 pubmed..To estimate cross-sectional and long-term dietary sodium intakes and sources in Finland, and to evaluate the validity of 48-h recall to assess sodium intake...
- Raja Halli M, Vehmas T, Rimaila Pärnänen E, Sainmaa S, Skall H, Olesen N, et al. Viral haemorrhagic septicaemia (VHS) outbreaks in Finnish rainbow trout farms. Dis Aquat Organ. 2006;72:201-11 pubmed..As the Finnish isolates induce lower mortality than freshwater VHSV isolates in infection experiments, they could represent an intermediate stage of marine isolates evolving towards pathogenicity in rainbow trout...
- Knekt P, Lindfors O, Härkänen T, Valikoski M, Virtala E, Laaksonen M, et al. Randomized trial on the effectiveness of long-and short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy and solution-focused therapy on psychiatric symptoms during a 3-year follow-up. Psychol Med. 2008;38:689-703 pubmed..However, more research is needed to determine which patients should be given long-term psychotherapy for the treatment of mood or anxiety disorders. ..
- Tuomaala S, Toivonen P, Al Jamal R, Kivela T. Prognostic significance of histopathology of primary conjunctival melanoma in Caucasians. Curr Eye Res. 2007;32:939-52 pubmed..To assess histopathologic prognostic factors relative to clinical ones in predicting local recurrence and survival after primary conjunctival melanoma (CM)...
- Hemminki E, Heikkilä K, Sevon T, Koponen P. Special features of health services and register based trials - experiences from a randomized trial of childbirth classes. BMC Health Serv Res. 2008;8:126 pubmed publisher..Our experiences encourage the use of trials that obtain their outcomes from registers. Changing the behavior of ordinary health service providers is a challenging intervention. not registered (see Results). ..
- Sund R, Pukkala E, Patja K. Cancer incidence among persons with fragile X syndrome in Finland: a population-based study. J Intellect Disabil Res. 2009;53:85-90 pubmed publisher..80, confidence interval (CI) 95% 0.40-1.4]. An increased risk for lip cancer was found (SIR 23, CI 95% 2.8-85). Confirmation of hypotheses about the mechanisms linking FXS and cancer needs further research. ..
- Hernesniemi J, Dashti R, Juvela S, Väärt K, Niemela M, Laakso A. Natural history of brain arteriovenous malformations: a long-term follow-up study of risk of hemorrhage in 238 patients. Neurosurgery. 2008;63:823-9; discussion 829-31 pubmed publisher..This risk is highest during the first few years after diagnosis but remains significant for decades. ..
- Santtila M, HAkkinen K, Karavirta L, Kyrolainen H. Changes in cardiovascular performance during an 8-week military basic training period combined with added endurance or strength training. Mil Med. 2008;173:1173-9 pubmed..BT positively influenced body composition but BT alone was not a sufficient stimulus to increase the maximal strength of leg extensors. ..
- Kuikka P, Sillanpää P, Mattila V, Niva M, Pihlajamaki H. Magnetic resonance imaging in acute traumatic and chronic meniscal tears of the knee: a diagnostic accuracy study in young adults. Am J Sports Med. 2009;37:1003-8 pubmed publisher..Despite negative magnetic resonance imaging findings at the acute stage of knee trauma, patient monitoring and readiness for arthroscopy should be considered if justified by the patient's symptoms. ..
- Helaskoski E, Kuuliala O, Aalto Korte K. Occupational contact urticaria caused by cyclic acid anhydrides. Contact Dermatitis. 2009;60:214-21 pubmed publisher..Cyclic acid anhydrides often cause allergic respiratory diseases, but contact urticaria because of these anhydrides has been considered rare...
- Martikainen P, Moustgaard H, Murphy M, Einiö E, Koskinen S, Martelin T, et al. Gender, living arrangements, and social circumstances as determinants of entry into and exit from long-term institutional care at older ages: a 6-year follow-up study of older Finns. Gerontologist. 2009;49:34-45 pubmed publisher..These results have implications for the financing of long-term care and for targeting of interventions aimed at delaying it. ..
- Gursoy U, Kononen E, Uitto V, Pussinen P, Hyvärinen K, Suominen Taipale L, et al. Salivary interleukin-1beta concentration and the presence of multiple pathogens in periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2009;36:922-7 pubmed publisher..We suggest that salivary IL-1beta and the presence of multiple periodontal pathogens in saliva should be studied more thoroughly as markers of periodontitis. ..
- Koivusalo A, Pakarinen M, Lindahl H, Rintala R. Endoscopic Surveillance After Repair of Oesophageal Atresia: Longitudinal Study in 209 Patients. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2016;62:562-6 pubmed publisher..EFU revealed frequent oesophagitis and metaplasia, but no dysplasia or cancer. Routine endoscopic surveillance had limited benefit and seems unnecessary during childhood after repair of OA. ..
- Felin E, Jukola E, Raulo S, Heinonen J, Fredriksson Ahomaa M. Current food chain information provides insufficient information for modern meat inspection of pigs. Prev Vet Med. 2016;127:113-20 pubmed publisher..To control the main biological public health hazards related to pork, serological surveillance should be done and the information obtained from analyses should be used as part of the FCI. ..