Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Tampere, Pirkanmaa, Finland
Locale: Tampere, Pirkanmaa, Finland
Publications477 found, 100 shown here
- Huotari N, Hömmö T, Taimi V, Nieminen R, Moilanen E, Korhonen R. Regulation of tristetraprolin expression by mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase-1. APMIS. 2012;120:988-99 pubmed publisher..The inhibition of p38 MAPK by SB202190 reduced TTP expression. In conclusion, MKP-1 suppressed TTP expression by inhibiting p38 MAPK pathway. ..
- Kokkinen L, Virtanen M, Pentti J, Vahtera J, Kivimaki M. Does transfer of work from a public sector organisation to a commercial enterprise without staff reductions increase risk of long-term sickness absence among the staff? A cohort study of laboratory and radiology employees. Occup Environ Med. 2013;70:585-7 pubmed publisher..92 (0.70-1.20)). In this study, transfer of work from public organisation to commercial enterprise did not increase the risk of long-term sickness absence among employees. ..
- Laurila E, Vuorinen E, Savinainen K, Rauhala H, Kallioniemi A. KPNA7, a nuclear transport receptor, promotes malignant properties of pancreatic cancer cells in vitro. Exp Cell Res. 2014;322:159-67 pubmed publisher..These data strongly demonstrate that KPNA7 silencing inhibits the malignant properties of pancreatic cancer cells in vitro and thereby provide the first evidence on the functional role for KPNA7 in human cancer. ..
- Felix J, Bradfield J, Monnereau C, van der Valk R, Stergiakouli E, Chesi A, et al. Genome-wide association analysis identifies three new susceptibility loci for childhood body mass index. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:389-403 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the shared genetic background between childhood and adult body mass index and adds three novel loci. These loci likely represent age-related differences in strength of the associations with body mass index. ..
- Kananen L, Marttila S, Nevalainen T, JylhÃ¤vÃ¤ J, Mononen N, KÃ¤hÃ¶nen M, et al. Aging-associated DNA methylation changes in middle-aged individuals: the Young Finns study. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:103 pubmed publisher..We speculate that the a-CpGs identified here in a population with a narrow age-range represent clock-like changes, as they showed concordant methylation behavior in population spanning whole adulthood as well. ..
- Martineau A, Jolliffe D, Hooper R, Greenberg L, Aloia J, Bergman P, et al. Vitamin D supplementation to prevent acute respiratory tract infections: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data. BMJ. 2017;356:i6583 pubmed publisher..Patients who were very vitamin D deficient and those not receiving bolus doses experienced the most benefit.Systematic review registration PROSPERO CRD42014013953. ..
- Vilmi Kerälä T, Lauhio A, Tervahartiala T, Palomäki O, Uotila J, Sorsa T, et al. Subclinical inflammation associated with prolonged TIMP-1 upregulation and arterial stiffness after gestational diabetes mellitus: a hospital-based cohort study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2017;16:49 pubmed publisher..Cardiovascular risk factors were more common in participants with high BMI than in those with previous GDM. ..
- Kaartinen I, Sunela K, Alanko J, Hukkinen K, Karjalainen Lindsberg M, Svarvar C. Breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma - From diagnosis to treatment. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:1385-1392 pubmed publisher..Treatment planning regarding the extent of surgery and role of adjuvant therapy, especially in advanced cases, requires further investigation. ..
- Keso T, Perola M, Laippala P, Ilveskoski E, Kunnas T, Mikkelsson J, et al. Polymorphisms within the tumor necrosis factor locus and prevalence of coronary artery disease in middle-aged men. Atherosclerosis. 2001;154:691-7 pubmed..Men with TNFA22 or TNFB11 genotype tended to have more fibrous lesions and calcification in their coronary arteries. TNFA and TNFB polymorphisms are unlikely to contribute to progression of atherosclerosis in a way clinically important. ..
- Kärkkäinen S, Hiipakka M, Wang J, Kleino I, Vähä Jaakkola M, Renkema G, et al. Identification of preferred protein interactions by phage-display of the human Src homology-3 proteome. EMBO Rep. 2006;7:186-91 pubmed
- Järvinen T, Järvinen T, Kääriäinen M, Aärimaa V, Vaittinen S, Kalimo H, et al. Muscle injuries: optimising recovery. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2007;21:317-31 pubmed
- Raty S, Piironen A, Babu M, Pelli H, Sand J, Uotila S, et al. Screening for human cationic trypsinogen (PRSS1) and trypsinogen inhibitor gene (SPINK1) mutations in a Finnish family with hereditary pancreatitis. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2007;42:1000-5 pubmed..In the investigated Finnish pedigree with HP, the PRSS1 mutation R122H is linked with chronic disease. Although the SPINK1 mutation (N34S) was also observed in two individuals, it was not linked with the disease. ..
- Levälampi T, Korpela M, Vuolteenaho K, Moilanen E. Etanercept and adalimumab treatment in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and spondyloarthropathies in clinical practice: adverse events and other reasons leading to discontinuation of the treatment. Rheumatol Int. 2008;28:261-9 pubmed..Adverse events (mainly infections and injection reactions) were in line with previous reports. Three rare adverse events were reported: one patient with ovarial carcinoma, one with leukopenia and one with features of drug-induced SLE. ..
- Ukkonen M, Vahvelainen T, Hämäläinen P, Dastidar P, Elovaara I. Cognitive dysfunction in primary progressive multiple sclerosis: a neuropsychological and MRI study. Mult Scler. 2009;15:1055-61 pubmed publisher..Cognitive deficits in PPMS patients correlated with diffuse brain lesion, T1- and T2-lesion load, but no correlations were found with atrophy...
- Pulkki J, Rissanen P, Raitanen J, Viitanen E. Overlaps and accumulation in the use of rehabilitation services. Int J Rehabil Res. 2011;34:255-60 pubmed publisher..To improve the performance of the rehabilitation system, more attention should be paid to integrating the subsystems. ..
- Vesikari T, Beran J, Durviaux S, Stainier I, El Idrissi M, Walravens K, et al. Use of real-time polymerase chain reaction (rtPCR) as a diagnostic tool for influenza infection in a vaccine efficacy trial. J Clin Virol. 2012;53:22-8 pubmed publisher..Clinical severity was not significantly different between culture positive cases and culture negative but rtPCR positive cases. rtPCR is a sensitive and specific diagnostic tool for influenza vaccine efficacy studies. ..
- Patil R, Uusi Rasi K, Pasanen M, Kannus P, Karinkanta S, Sievanen H. Sarcopenia and osteopenia among 70-80-year-old home-dwelling Finnish women: prevalence and association with functional performance. Osteoporos Int. 2013;24:787-96 pubmed publisher..In clinical practice, attention should be paid to the decline in functional ability rather than focusing on low muscle mass alone. ..
- Airaksinen N, Nurmi LÃ¼thje I, LÃ¼thje P. Comparison of Injury Severity Between Moped and Motorcycle Crashes: A Finnish Two-Year Prospective Hospital-Based Study. Scand J Surg. 2016;105:49-55 pubmed publisher..According to the maximum Abbreviated Injury Scale and New Injury Severity Scores, the injury severity was equal for motorcycle and moped crashes. The degree of agreement between the hospital dataset and the official statistics was 32%. ..
- Sjöblom L, Saramaki O, Annala M, Leinonen K, Nättinen J, Tolonen T, et al. Microseminoprotein-Beta Expression in Different Stages of Prostate Cancer. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0150241 pubmed publisher..0001). In conclusion, decreased expression of MSMB parallels the clinical progression of PC and adjusted serum MSMB levels are associated with PC risk. ..
- Schultz R, Salo M. Under recognition of late onset ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency. Arch Dis Child. 2000;82:390-1 pubmed..The subtle onset and course of ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency emphasises the need for plasma ammonia and amino acid measurements in clinical situations suggesting a disorder of this nature...
- Malin R, Loimaala A, Nenonen A, Mercuri M, Vuori I, Pasanen M, et al. Relationship between high-density lipoprotein paraoxonase gene M/L55 polymorphism and carotid atherosclerosis differs in smoking and nonsmoking men. Metabolism. 2001;50:1095-101 pubmed..The reverse effect in smokers implies that the ability of PON to protect against CAAD is influenced by cigarette smoking. The efficiency of this inhibition probably depends on the PON M/L55 genotype. ..
- Karlsson S, Ruokonen E, Varpula T, Ala Kokko T, Pettila V. Long-term outcome and quality-adjusted life years after severe sepsis. Crit Care Med. 2009;37:1268-74 pubmed publisher..However, the mean QALYs for the surviving patients were reasonable and the cost for one QALY was reasonably low, which makes intensive care in patients with severe sepsis cost effective. ..
- Lohi O, Arola M, Lautenschlager I, Nacheva E, Vettenranta K. A high circulating copy number of HHV-6 due to chromosomal integration in a child with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2010;55:1236-8 pubmed publisher..This case highlights the importance of excluding HHV-6 chromosomal integration before diagnosing HHV-6 infection or reactivation in immunocompromised patients. ..
- Huttunen R, Syrjanen J, Vuento R, Hurme M, Huhtala H, Laine J, et al. Plasma level of soluble urokinase-type plasminogen activator receptor as a predictor of disease severity and case fatality in patients with bacteraemia: a prospective cohort study. J Intern Med. 2011;270:32-40 pubmed publisher..Plasma suPAR level is a sensitive and specific independent prognostic biomarker in patients with bacteraemia. ..
- Huttunen R, Kuparinen T, Jylhävä J, Aittoniemi J, Vuento R, Huhtala H, et al. Fatal outcome in bacteremia is characterized by high plasma cell free DNA concentration and apoptotic DNA fragmentation: a prospective cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21700 pubmed publisher..cf-DNA displayed a predominating low-molecular-weight cf-DNA band in nonsurvivors corresponding to the size of apoptotic nucleosomal DNA. ..
- Lindfors K, Koskinen O, Kaukinen K. An update on the diagnostics of celiac disease. Int Rev Immunol. 2011;30:185-96 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the diagnostic criteria for celiac disease are currently under revision with an eye also to noninvasive diagnostic strategies. ..
- Mattila V, Huttunen T, Sillanpää P, Niemi S, Pihlajamaki H, Kannus P. Significant change in the surgical treatment of distal radius fractures: a nationwide study between 1998 and 2008 in Finland. J Trauma. 2011;71:939-42; discussion 942-3 pubmed publisher..In addition, the incidence and number of surgeries for distal radius fractures doubled between 1998 and 2008. The reasons for these changes are not known. ..
- Kurppa K, Lauronen O, Collin P, Ukkola A, Laurila K, Huhtala H, et al. Factors associated with dietary adherence in celiac disease: a nationwide study. Digestion. 2012;86:309-14 pubmed publisher..In a country with a high prevalence and good general knowledge of celiac disease, only age at diagnosis and age at present would appear to be major determinants for adherence. ..
- Jalkanen V, Yang R, Linko R, Huhtala H, Okkonen M, Varpula T, et al. SuPAR and PAI-1 in critically ill, mechanically ventilated patients. Intensive Care Med. 2013;39:489-96 pubmed publisher..SuPAR may be used for screening for patients with potentially good survival. The association with RRT may supply an early warning sign for acute renal failure. ..
- Rossi M, Ruottinen H, Soimakallio S, Elovaara I, Dastidar P. Clinical MRI for iron detection in Parkinson's disease. Clin Imaging. 2013;37:631-6 pubmed publisher..Disease-related changes were present not only in substantia nigra but also in globus pallidus. Such changes are associated with neurodegeneration, reflecting the severity of motor impairment. ..
- Lähdeaho M, Kaukinen K, Laurila K, Vuotikka P, Koivurova O, Kärjä Lahdensuu T, et al. Glutenase ALV003 attenuates gluten-induced mucosal injury in patients with celiac disease. Gastroenterology. 2014;146:1649-58 pubmed publisher..Clinicaltrial.gov, NCT00959114 and NCT01255696. ..
- Al Jadaa A, de Abreu D, Attin T, PeltomÃ¤ki T, Heumann C, Schmidlin P. Evaluation of a novel repetitive gas-enhanced permeation test for restoration leakage determination after thermo-mechanical loading. Acta Odontol Scand. 2016;74:202-9 pubmed publisher..The current study provided proof that restoration margin quality does not necessarily reflect its leakage behaviour. ..
- Laitinen A, Lampinen M, Liedtke S, Kilpinen L, KerkelÃ¤ E, Sarkanen J, et al. The effects of culture conditions on the functionality of efficiently obtained mesenchymal stromal cells from human cord blood. Cytotherapy. 2016;18:423-37 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that the composition of expansion medium is critical for the functionality of MSCs and should always be appropriately defined for each purpose. ..
- Turcotte M, Allard D, Mittal D, Bareche Y, Buisseret L, JosÃ© V, et al. CD73 Promotes Resistance to HER2/ErbB2 Antibody Therapy. Cancer Res. 2017;77:5652-5663 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our findings establish CD73 in mediating resistance to trastuzumab and provide new insights into how CD73 is regulated in breast cancer. Cancer Res; 77(20); 5652-63. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Collin P, Reunala T. Recognition and management of the cutaneous manifestations of celiac disease: a guide for dermatologists. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2003;4:13-20 pubmed..By contrast, the reported association of celiac disease with psoriasis seems to be coincidental. ..
- Nieminen K, Hiltunen K, Laitinen J, Oksala J, Heinonen P. Transanal or vaginal approach to rectocele repair: a prospective, randomized pilot study. Dis Colon Rectum. 2004;47:1636-42 pubmed..The transanal technique was associated with more clinically diagnosed recurrences of rectocele and/or enterocele. Adverse effects on sexual life were avoided by use of both techniques. ..
- Paavilainen P, Nietosvaara Y, Tikkinen K, Salmi T, Paakkala T, Vilkki S. Long-term results of transmetacarpal replantation. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2007;60:704-9 pubmed..The aim of this study was to evaluate subjective, functional and occupational outcome after transmetacarpal amputations...
- Aitola P, Lehto K, Fonsell R, Huhtala H. Prevalence of faecal incontinence in adults aged 30 years or more in general population. Colorectal Dis. 2010;12:687-91 pubmed publisher..General awareness of faecal incontinence and treatment options should be improved among primary care physicians and general population. ..
- Ylänen K, Poutanen T, Hiippala A, Swan H, Korppi M. Catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia. Eur J Pediatr. 2010;169:535-42 pubmed publisher..In addition, a CPVT family with three members and delayed diagnoses until late childhood and adulthood is presented. ..
- Saunamäki T, Himanen S, Polo O, Jehkonen M. Executive dysfunction and learning effect after continuous positive airway pressure treatment in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Eur Neurol. 2010;63:215-20 pubmed publisher..To assess the impact of continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) treatment on executive dysfunction in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS)...
- Lahdes Vasama T, Korhonen P, Seppänen J, Tammela O, Iber T. Preoperative embolization of giant sacrococcygeal teratoma in a premature newborn. J Pediatr Surg. 2011;46:e5-8 pubmed publisher..This is the smallest reported patient in whom SCT was preoperatively treated by embolization...
- HammarstrÃ¶m A, Westerlund H, Kirves K, Nygren K, Virtanen P, HÃ¤gglÃ¶f B. Addressing challenges of validity and internal consistency of mental health measures in a 27- year longitudinal cohort study - the Northern Swedish Cohort study. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2016;16:4 pubmed publisher..Thus, it can be possible to overcome some specific inherent methodological challenges in using historical data in longitudinal research. ..
- Gusev A, Shi H, Kichaev G, Pomerantz M, Li F, Long H, et al. Atlas of prostate cancer heritability in European and African-American men pinpoints tissue-specific regulation. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10979 pubmed publisher..Our findings showcase the power of integrating functional annotation with genetic data to understand the genetic basis of PrCa. ..
- Makela S, Mustonen J, Ala Houhala I, Hurme M, Partanen J, Vapalahti O, et al. Human leukocyte antigen-B8-DR3 is a more important risk factor for severe Puumala hantavirus infection than the tumor necrosis factor-alpha(-308) G/A polymorphism. J Infect Dis. 2002;186:843-6 pubmed..It is concluded that the HLA-B8-DR3 haplotype is an important contributor to the course of NE. The data indicate that the TNF-2 allele is not an independent risk factor for severe NE but a passive component in the extended haplotype. ..
- Harrison L, Dastidar P, Eskola H, Järvenpää R, Pertovaara H, Luukkaala T, et al. Texture analysis on MRI images of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Comput Biol Med. 2008;38:519-24 pubmed publisher..TA proved to be a promising quantitative means of representing lymphoma tissue changes during medication follow-up. ..
- Nikander R, Kannus P, Dastidar P, Hannula M, Harrison L, Cervinka T, et al. Targeted exercises against hip fragility. Osteoporos Int. 2009;20:1321-8 pubmed publisher..Since odd-impact exercises are mechanically less demanding to the body, this type of exercise can provide a reasonable basis for devising feasible, targeted bone training against hip fragility...
- Harrison L, Luukkaala T, Pertovaara H, Saarinen T, Heinonen T, Järvenpää R, et al. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma response evaluation with MRI texture classification. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2009;28:87 pubmed publisher..Texture characteristics of MRI data were classified successfully; this proved texture analysis to be potential quantitative means of representing lymphoma tissue changes during chemotherapy response monitoring. ..
- Sannisto T, Kosunen E. Initiation of postpartum contraception: a survey among health centre physicians and nurses in Finland. Scand J Prim Health Care. 2009;27:244-9 pubmed publisher..Professionals' reports indicate that initiation of effective contraceptive methods is delayed after childbirth. In order to promote better postpartum contraception practices, updated evidence-based guidelines are needed. ..
- Skyttä E, Koivu H, Eskelinen A, Ikävalko M, Paavolainen P, Remes V. Total ankle replacement: a population-based study of 515 cases from the Finnish Arthroplasty Register. Acta Orthop. 2010;81:114-8 pubmed publisher..Based on our findings, we cannot conclude that any prosthesis was superior to any other. A high number of technical errors in primary TARs suggests that this low-volume field of implant arthroplasty should be centralized to fewer units. ..
- Cervinka T, Hyttinen J, Sievänen H. Threshold-free automatic detection of cortical bone geometry by peripheral quantitative computed tomography. J Clin Densitom. 2012;15:413-421 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the OBS method improved assessment of all observed measures of cortical geometry and can enhance the cortical bone analysis of pQCT images in clinical research studies. ..
- Sumanen M, Aine T, Halila H, Heikkilä T, Hyppölä H, Kujala S, et al. Where have all the GPs gone--where will they go? Study of Finnish GPs. BMC Fam Pract. 2012;13:121 pubmed publisher..Moreover, several GP trainees do not consider health centre physician's work as a long-term career option. These trends may in the future reflect a recruiting problem in many primary health centres. ..
- Vesikari T, Esposito S, Prymula R, Ypma E, Kohl I, Toneatto D, et al. Immunogenicity and safety of an investigational multicomponent, recombinant, meningococcal serogroup B vaccine (4CMenB) administered concomitantly with routine infant and child vaccinations: results of two randomised trials. Lancet. 2013;381:825-35 pubmed..This breakthrough vaccine offers an innovative solution to the major remaining cause of bacterial meningitis in infant and toddlers. Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics. ..
- Husu P, Vähä Ypyä H, Vasankari T. Objectively measured sedentary behavior and physical activity of Finnish 7- to 14-year-old children- associations with perceived health status: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2016;16:338 pubmed publisher..There is a need for dose-response analyses between objectively measured PA and SB and specific health outcomes in children and adolescents. Also patterns of objectively measured PA and SB should be studied in more detail. ..
- Kauraniemi P, Kuukasjärvi T, Sauter G, Kallioniemi A. Amplification of a 280-kilobase core region at the ERBB2 locus leads to activation of two hypothetical proteins in breast cancer. Am J Pathol. 2003;163:1979-84 pubmed..These results support the recent findings on the influence of copy number on gene expression levels and highlight novel genes that might contribute to the clinical behavior of ERBB2-amplified breast tumors. ..
- Joki Erkkilä M, Heinonen P. Presenting and long-term clinical implications and fecundity in females with obstructing vaginal malformations. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2003;16:307-12 pubmed..No specific gynecologic long-term clinical symptoms were identified in obstructing vaginal anomalies. ..
- Kuuselo R, Savinainen K, Azorsa D, Basu G, Karhu R, Tuzmen S, et al. Intersex-like (IXL) is a cell survival regulator in pancreatic cancer with 19q13 amplification. Cancer Res. 2007;67:1943-9 pubmed..These findings implicate IXL as a novel amplification target gene in pancreatic cancer and suggest that IXL is required for cancer cell survival in 19q13-amplified tumors. ..
- Kuusisto H, Hyoty H, Kares S, Kinnunen E, Elovaara I. Human herpes virus 6 and multiple sclerosis: a Finnish twin study. Mult Scler. 2008;14:54-8 pubmed..However, the results do not exclude a possibility of HHV6 reactivation during MS exacerbation or acute HHV6 infection being one of the triggering agents in development of MS long before its clinical manifestation. ..
- Huttunen R, Hurme M, Laine J, Eklund C, Vuento R, Aittoniemi J, et al. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase G894T (GLU298ASP) polymorphism is associated with hypotension in patients with E. coli bacteremia but not in bacteremia caused by a gram-positive organism. Shock. 2009;31:448-53 pubmed publisher..Carriage of the T allele of the eNOS gene is a risk factor for hypotension in patients with E. coli bacteremia but not in bacteremia caused by a gram-positive organism. ..
- Jämsen E, Varonen M, Huhtala H, Lehto M, Lumio J, Konttinen Y, et al. Incidence of prosthetic joint infections after primary knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2010;25:87-92 pubmed publisher..The rate of prosthetic joint infections in contemporary knee arthroplasty is low and mainly related to patient-related factors, of which patient comorbidity has the most profound effect on the infection rate. ..
- Hakala P, Saarni L, Ketola R, Rahkola E, Salminen J, Rimpelä A. Computer-associated health complaints and sources of ergonomic instructions in computer-related issues among Finnish adolescents: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:11 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the reported sources of instructions vary greatly in terms of reliability. ..
- Outinen T, Makela S, Ala Houhala I, Huhtala H, Hurme M, Paakkala A, et al. The severity of Puumala hantavirus induced nephropathia epidemica can be better evaluated using plasma interleukin-6 than C-reactive protein determinations. BMC Infect Dis. 2010;10:132 pubmed publisher..High plasma IL-6 concentrations associate with a clinically severe acute Puumala hantavirus infection, whereas high plasma CRP as such does not reflect the severity of the disease. ..
- Jarvela S, Jarvela T, Aho H, Kiviranta I. Arthroscopic subacromial decompression: outcome comparison between outpatient and hospitalized patients with 2- to 5-year follow-up. Scand J Surg. 2010;99:50-4 pubmed..The results were significantly better at follow-up than preoperatively in both groups. Key words: Shoulder pain; subacromial impingement; arthroscopic subacromial decompression; outpatient unit; hospitalized patient; clinical result. ..
- Kyttälä P, Erkkola M, Kronberg Kippilä C, Tapanainen H, Veijola R, Simell O, et al. Food consumption and nutrient intake in Finnish 1-6-year-old children. Public Health Nutr. 2010;13:947-56 pubmed publisher..In order to improve the diet of young children, it is essential to evaluate the diet of the whole family. ..
- Outinen T, Makela S, Ala Houhala I, Huhtala H, Hurme M, Libraty D, et al. High activity of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase is associated with renal insufficiency in Puumala hantavirus induced nephropathia epidemica. J Med Virol. 2011;83:731-7 pubmed publisher..1,900 ml/day, P<0.001) and longer hospital stays (8 vs. 5 days, P<0.001). In conclusion, high serum IDO activity was associated with increased disease severity and renal impairment in NE. ..
- Duff R, Tay V, Hackman P, Ravenscroft G, McLean C, Kennedy P, et al. Mutations in the N-terminal actin-binding domain of filamin C cause a distal myopathy. Am J Hum Genet. 2011;88:729-740 pubmed publisher..We conclude filamin C ABD mutations cause a recognizable distal myopathy, most likely through increased actin affinity, similar to the pathological mechanism of filamin A and filamin B ABD mutations...
- Raitoharju E, Lyytikäinen L, Levula M, Oksala N, Mennander A, Tarkka M, et al. miR-21, miR-210, miR-34a, and miR-146a/b are up-regulated in human atherosclerotic plaques in the Tampere Vascular Study. Atherosclerosis. 2011;219:211-7 pubmed publisher..Interfering with the miRNA expression in the artery wall is a potential way to affect atherosclerotic plaque and cardiovascular disease development. ..
- Wu X, Pertovaara H, Korkola P, Vornanen M, Eskola H, Kellokumpu Lehtinen P. Glucose metabolism correlated with cellular proliferation in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma. 2012;53:400-5 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that tumor proliferation potential might be predicted in vivo by FDG-PET/CT images. Thus, PET/CT is useful to guide biopsy by selecting sites with the BmSUV(max) when clinically appropriate. ..
- Kämäräinen A, Sainio M, Olkkola K, Huhtala H, Tenhunen J, Hoppu S. Quality controlled manual chest compressions and cerebral oxygenation during in-hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2012;83:138-42 pubmed publisher..Improving CPR technique after an episode of low quality CPR did not significantly increase rSO(2). ..
- Vesikari T, Block S, Guerra F, Lattanzi M, Holmes S, Izu A, et al. Immunogenicity, safety and reactogenicity of a mammalian cell-culture-derived influenza vaccine in healthy children and adolescents three to seventeen years of age. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012;31:494-500 pubmed publisher..CCIV produced in mammalian cell culture is a safe, well-tolerated and immunogenic alternative to conventional egg-derived influenza vaccines for children and adolescents. ..
- Korpimaki S, Sumanen M, Suominen S, Mattila K. Self-reported rather than registered cancer is associated with psychosocial strain. BMC Fam Pract. 2012;13:107 pubmed publisher..Self-report of a severe disease like cancer without corresponding clinical findings might reflect heavy psychological distress which should be taken into consideration in clinical work. ..
- Saramaki O, Willi N, Bratt O, Gasser T, Koivisto P, Nupponen N, et al. Amplification of EIF3S3 gene is associated with advanced stage in prostate cancer. Am J Pathol. 2001;159:2089-94 pubmed..In conclusion, amplification of EIF3S3 gene is common in late-stage prostate cancer suggesting that it may be functionally involved in the progression of the disease. ..
- Hällström M, Koivisto A, Janas M, Tammela O. Laboratory parameters predictive of developing necrotizing enterocolitis in infants born before 33 weeks of gestation. J Pediatr Surg. 2006;41:792-8 pubmed..25, and a blood glucose rise by 1.5 mmol/L or more within 24 hours predict NEC with intestinal perforation. Such findings should alert the physician to look for signs of NEC in a preterm infant. ..
- Virtanen P, Kivimaki M, Vahtera J, Koskenvuo M. Employment status and differences in the one-year coverage of physician visits: different needs or unequal access to services?. BMC Health Serv Res. 2006;6:123 pubmed..The result may indicate non-optimal health care of the population on the periphery of the labour market, but it may also reflect the importance of employment status as a context for need and the decision to visit a physician. ..
- Vierikko T, Järvenpää R, Autti T, Oksa P, Huuskonen M, Kaleva S, et al. Chest CT screening of asbestos-exposed workers: lung lesions and incidental findings. Eur Respir J. 2007;29:78-84 pubmed..The numerous incidental findings are a major concern for future screenings, which should be considered for asbestos-exposed ex-smokers and current smokers...
- Vimpeli T, Huhtala H, Wilsgaard T, Acharya G. Fetal cardiac output and its distribution to the placenta at 11-20 weeks of gestation. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2009;33:265-71 pubmed publisher..The fraction of CCO distributed to the placenta increased significantly during this period, reflecting rapid placental growth and establishment of a low-resistance circulation. ..
- Hakala H, Rajala K, Ojala M, Panula S, Areva S, Kellomäki M, et al. Comparison of biomaterials and extracellular matrices as a culture platform for multiple, independently derived human embryonic stem cell lines. Tissue Eng Part A. 2009;15:1775-85 pubmed publisher..A long-term, feeder cell-free culture system was successful on Matrigel in combination with mTeSR1 culture medium, but a xeno-free, fully defined, and reproducible feeder cell-free hESC culture method still remains to be developed. ..
- Salonen P, Tarkka M, Kellokumpu Lehtinen P, Astedt Kurki P, Luukkaala T, Kaunonen M. Telephone intervention and quality of life in patients with breast cancer. Cancer Nurs. 2009;32:177-90; quiz 191-2 pubmed publisher..These results may help in discussing QOL issues and should be considered when planning and implementing interventions for patients with breast cancer. ..
- Myller J, Toppila Salmi S, Toppila E, Torkkeli T, Numminen J, Renkonen R, et al. Mucosal eosinophils and l-selectin ligands are associated with invasive and noninvasive sinus surgery outcomes. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2009;23:21-7 pubmed publisher..Both intra- and postoperative low number of eosinophils seem to be indicators of good subjective recovery. ..
- Aho A, Lyytikäinen L, Yli Hankala A, Kamata K, Jantti V. Explaining Entropy responses after a noxious stimulus, with or without neuromuscular blocking agents, by means of the raw electroencephalographic and electromyographic characteristics. Br J Anaesth. 2011;106:69-76 pubmed publisher..During sevoflurane-N?O anaesthesia, both EEG and EMG arousals were seen. ? and ? arousals had opposite effects on the Entropy values. The EMG arousal was abolished by rocuronium at the train of four level 0/4. ..
- Ahovuo Saloranta A, Forss H, Walsh T, Hiiri A, Nordblad A, Makela M, et al. Sealants for preventing dental decay in the permanent teeth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;:CD001830 pubmed publisher..The relative effectiveness of different types of sealants has yet to be established. ..
- Snellman K, Parkkari J, Kannus P, Leppälä J, Vuori I, Jarvinen M. Sports injuries in floorball: a prospective one-year follow-up study. Int J Sports Med. 2001;22:531-6 pubmed..Before initiation of clinical trials on prevention of floorball injuries, an exact knowledge of the risk factors and mechanisms of floorball injuries are needed. ..
- Lahti A, Kujala V, Chapman H, Koivisto A, Pekkanen Mattila M, Kerkela E, et al. Model for long QT syndrome type 2 using human iPS cells demonstrates arrhythmogenic characteristics in cell culture. Dis Model Mech. 2012;5:220-30 pubmed publisher..Thus, the iPSC-derived, disease-specific cardiomyocytes could serve as an important platform to study pathophysiological mechanisms and drug sensitivity in LQT2. ..
- Luoto R, Mannisto S, Raitanen J. Ten-year change in the association between obesity and parity: results from the National FINRISK Population Study. Gend Med. 2011;8:399-406 pubmed publisher..28) when compared with 1997. Parity is an important determinant of visceral obesity, which is more prevalent in younger age groups than a decade ago. Women with ≥ 3 deliveries were more often obese or viscerally obese than other women. ..
- Comert A, Honkala M, Hyttinen J. Effect of pressure and padding on motion artifact of textile electrodes. Biomed Eng Online. 2013;12:26 pubmed publisher..In addition, we present new methods for evaluating electrode sensitivity to motion, utilizing the detection of noise peaks that fall into the same frequency band as R-peaks. ..
- van den Berg S, de Moor M, Verweij K, Krueger R, Luciano M, Arias Vasquez A, et al. Meta-analysis of Genome-Wide Association Studies for Extraversion: Findings from the Genetics of Personality Consortium. Behav Genet. 2016;46:170-82 pubmed publisher..Future studies are required to further determine which genetic variants, by what modes of gene action, constitute the heritable nature of extraversion. ..
- Kukkonen Harjula K, Kauppinen K. How the sauna affects the endocrine system. Ann Clin Res. 1988;20:262-6 pubmed..The changes induced by the sauna in various hormone concentrations in the circulation are, however, normalized within a couple of hours after the heat stress. ..
- Hahtola P, Järvenpää R, Lounatmaa K, Mattila J, Rantala I, Uitti J, et al. Hard metal alveolitis accompanied by rheumatoid arthritis. Respiration. 2000;67:209-12 pubmed..After the patient had quit working with hard metal and following corticosteroid therapy, pulmonary symptoms and signs were relieved. During this recovery period, however, she contracted rheumatoid arthritis...
- Karhuketo T, Puhakka H. Endoscope-guided round window fistula repair. Otol Neurotol. 2001;22:869-73 pubmed..Endoscope-guided round window membrane repair was performed to evaluate whether the approach is feasible in the treatment of a round window fistula...