Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adult in Tampere, Pirkanmaa, Finland
Locale: Tampere, Pirkanmaa, Finland
Publications252 found, 100 shown here
- Reito A, Lainiala O, Nieminen J, Eskelinen A. Repeated metal ion measurement in patients with bilateral metal on metal (ASRâ„¢) hip replacements. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2016;102:167-73 pubmed publisher..It seems, however, to be beneficial in patients with bilateral high risk MoM THR. Level III (retrospective comparative study). ..
- Ala Houhala M, Vähävihu K, Hasan T, Kautiainen H, Ylianttila L, Viljakainen H, et al. Comparison of narrowband ultraviolet B exposure and oral vitamin D substitution on serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration. Br J Dermatol. 2012;167:160-4 pubmed publisher..A short NB-UVB course is an effective way to improve vitamin D balance in winter and the response is still evident 2 months after the course. ..
- Heinonen A, Oja P, Kannus P, Sievanen H, Haapasalo H, Mänttäri A, et al. Bone mineral density in female athletes representing sports with different loading characteristics of the skeleton. Bone. 1995;17:197-203 pubmed..The results support the concept that training, including high strain rates in versatile movements and high peak forces, is more effective in bone formation than training with a large number of low-force repetitions. ..
- Järvinen T, Pelto Huikko M, Holli K, Isola J. Estrogen receptor beta is coexpressed with ERalpha and PR and associated with nodal status, grade, and proliferation rate in breast cancer. Am J Pathol. 2000;156:29-35 pubmed..The independent predictive value of ERbeta remains to be established. ..
- Islam M, Raitakari O, Juonala M, Kahonen M, Hutri Kähönen N, Collings A, et al. Apolipoprotein A-I/C-III/A-IV SstI and apolipoprotein B XbaI polymorphisms and their association with carotid artery intima-media thickness in the Finnish population. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Atherosclerosis. 2005;180:79-86 pubmed..However, serum total and LDL cholesterol and apoB concentrations were significantly different among apoB genotype groups (p<0.001 for all traits). The apoA-I/C-III/A-IV SstI polymorphism is associated with carotid IMT in young Finns. ..
- Nordback I, Parviainen M, Piironen A, Raty S, Sand J. Obstructed pancreaticojejunostomy partly explains exocrine insufficiency after pancreatic head resection. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2007;42:263-70 pubmed..To obtain better late functional results, improvements may be required in the surgical techniques. ..
- Viikki M, Anttila S, Kampman O, Illi A, Huuhka M, Setälä Soikkeli E, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) polymorphism is associated with treatment resistant depression. Neurosci Lett. 2010;477:105-8 pubmed publisher..The finding suggests an association between VEGF 2578 C/A polymorphism and treatment resistant depression which is reported for the first time. Further studies with larger samples will be required to confirm the results. ..
- Booth N, Jula A, Aronen P, Kaila M, Klaukka T, Kukkonen Harjula K, et al. Cost-effectiveness analysis of guidelines for antihypertensive care in Finland. BMC Health Serv Res. 2007;7:172 pubmed
- Myller J, Toppila Salmi S, Toppila E, Torkkeli T, Numminen J, Renkonen R, et al. Mucosal eosinophils and l-selectin ligands are associated with invasive and noninvasive sinus surgery outcomes. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2009;23:21-7 pubmed publisher..Both intra- and postoperative low number of eosinophils seem to be indicators of good subjective recovery. ..
- Karppelin M, Siljander T, Vuopio Varkila J, Kere J, Huhtala H, Vuento R, et al. Factors predisposing to acute and recurrent bacterial non-necrotizing cellulitis in hospitalized patients: a prospective case-control study. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2010;16:729-34 pubmed publisher..Oedema, broken skin and obesity are risk factors for acute cellulitis. The inflammatory response as indicated by CRP level and leukocyte count is statistically significantly more severe in PH than NH patients...
- Pyysalo L, Keski Nisula L, Niskakangas T, Kähärä V, Ohman J. Long-term follow-up study of endovascularly treated intracranial aneurysms. Interv Neuroradiol. 2010;16:361-8 pubmed..However, annual bleeding rate was as low as 0.1%. Endovascular treatment of ruptured aneurysms showed incomplete angiographic outcome in 15% of cases and the annual rebleeding rate was 1.3%. ..
- Lehtinen M, Ault K, Lyytikäinen E, Dillner J, Garland S, Ferris D, et al. Chlamydia trachomatis infection and risk of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. Sex Transm Infect. 2011;87:372-6 pubmed publisher..Trial registration NCT00092521 and NCT00092534. ..
- Tenhunen M, Elomaa E, Sistonen H, Rauhala E, Himanen S. Emfit movement sensor in evaluating nocturnal breathing. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2013;187:183-9 pubmed publisher..Patients with IRR received high scores in GHQ-12-questionnaire. An Emfit movement sensor might offer additional information in OSA diagnostics especially if nasal pressure transducer cannot be used. ..
- Tiainen L, Tanner M, Lahdenperä O, Vihinen P, Jukkola A, Karihtala P, et al. Bevacizumab Combined with Docetaxel or Paclitaxel as First-line Treatment of HER2-negative Metastatic Breast Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:6431-6438 pubmed..8% patients and one patient died because of gastrointestinal perforation. Treating advanced breast cancer with a bevacizumab-containing regimen as the first-line cytotoxic treatment resulted in excellent response rates and long survival. ..
- Miilunpalo S, Vuori I, Oja P, Pasanen M, Urponen H. Self-rated health status as a health measure: the predictive value of self-reported health status on the use of physician services and on mortality in the working-age population. J Clin Epidemiol. 1997;50:517-28 pubmed..The results suggest that the subjective health assessments are valid health status indicator in middle-aged populations, and they can be used in cohort studies and population health monitoring. ..
- Snellman K, Parkkari J, Kannus P, Leppälä J, Vuori I, Jarvinen M. Sports injuries in floorball: a prospective one-year follow-up study. Int J Sports Med. 2001;22:531-6 pubmed..Before initiation of clinical trials on prevention of floorball injuries, an exact knowledge of the risk factors and mechanisms of floorball injuries are needed. ..
- Laaksonen R, Thelen K, Päivä H, Matinheikki J, Vesalainen R, Janatuinen T, et al. Genetic variant of the SREBF-1 gene is significantly related to cholesterol synthesis in man. Atherosclerosis. 2006;185:206-9 pubmed..Similarly muscle cholesterol (p=0.045) and lathosterol (p=0.054) concentrations were elevated in the CC homozygotes supporting the view that endogenous cholesterol synthesis rate is SREBF-1 genotype-dependent. ..
- Jarvela S, Parkkila S, Bragge H, Kähkönen M, Parkkila A, Soini Y, et al. Carbonic anhydrase IX in oligodendroglial brain tumors. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:1 pubmed publisher..It may have a role in the biology of oligodendrogliomas, and most interestingly, as it is mainly expressed in tumor tissue, CA IX could serve as a target molecule for anticancer treatments. ..
- Aitola P, Lehto K, Fonsell R, Huhtala H. Prevalence of faecal incontinence in adults aged 30 years or more in general population. Colorectal Dis. 2010;12:687-91 pubmed publisher..General awareness of faecal incontinence and treatment options should be improved among primary care physicians and general population. ..
- Koivistoinen T, Aatola H, Hutri Kähönen N, Juonala M, Viikari J, Laitinen T, et al. Systemic hemodynamics in young adults with the metabolic syndrome: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Ann Med. 2010;42:612-21 pubmed publisher..003) compared to MetS recovery group. All current MetS definitions identify young adults with altered systemic hemodynamics, and recovery from MetS is associated with a favorable hemodynamic profile. ..
- Karinen H, Peltonen J, Kahonen M, Tikkanen H. Prediction of acute mountain sickness by monitoring arterial oxygen saturation during ascent. High Alt Med Biol. 2010;11:325-32 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that daily evaluation of Spo? during ascent both at rest and during exercise can help to identify a population that does well at altitude...
- Uotila T, Antonen J, Laine J, Kujansuu E, Haapala A, Lumio J, et al. Reactive arthritis in a population exposed to an extensive waterborne gastroenteritis outbreak after sewage contamination in Pirkanmaa, Finland. Scand J Rheumatol. 2011;40:358-62 pubmed publisher..Taking into account the large population contaminated with potentially arthritogenic agents, the occurrence of ReA was rare and mild in character. ..
- Myller J, Dastidar P, Torkkeli T, Rautiainen M, Toppila Salmi S. Computed tomography findings after endoscopic sinus surgery with preserving or enlarging maxillary sinus ostium surgery. Rhinology. 2011;49:438-44 pubmed publisher..A large maxillary sinus ostium size seems to associate with lower postoperative LM score, but does not seem to provide superior symptom relief...
- Outinen T, Tervo L, Makela S, Huttunen R, Mäenpää N, Huhtala H, et al. Plasma levels of soluble urokinase-type plasminogen activator receptor associate with the clinical severity of acute Puumala hantavirus infection. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71335 pubmed publisher..The overexpression of suPAR possibly activates ?3-integrin in PUUV infection, and thus might be involved in the pathogenesis of the disease. ..
- Kettunen O, Vuorimaa T, Vasankari T. A 12-month exercise intervention decreased stress symptoms and increased mental resources among working adults - Results perceived after a 12-month follow-up. Int J Occup Med Environ Health. 2015;28:157-68 pubmed publisher..0001). One year physical exercise intervention improved mental well-being among working adults and this was associated with an improvement in cardiorespiratory fitness. The positive changes remained after the 12-month follow-up. ..
- Kiiski H, Tenhunen J, Ala Peijari M, Huhtala H, Hamalainen M, Långsjö J, et al. Increased plasma UCH-L1 after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage is associated with unfavorable neurological outcome. J Neurol Sci. 2016;361:144-9 pubmed publisher..Repetitive measurements of UCH-L1 concentrations with an emphasis on change relative to the individual baseline could be the optimal approach for future clinical studies. ..
- Syrjakoski K, Kuukasjärvi T, Auvinen A, Kallioniemi O. CHEK2 1100delC is not a risk factor for male breast cancer population. Int J Cancer. 2004;108:475-6 pubmed..We cannot exclude the fact that a small fraction of hereditary, family-positive male breast cancers could be attributable to CHEK2 mutations. ..
- Karki S, Lekkala J. A new method to measure heart rate with EMFi and PVDF materials. J Med Eng Technol. 2009;33:551-8 pubmed publisher..However, to conclude, both materials seem to be convenient for this kind of measurement of heart rate. ..
- Jylhävä J, Lyytikäinen L, Kahonen M, Hutri Kähönen N, Kettunen J, Viikari J, et al. A genome-wide association study identifies UGT1A1 as a regulator of serum cell-free DNA in young adults: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35426 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that UGT1A1-associated processes are also involved in the regulation of serum cf-DNA concentrations. ..
- Rantanen T, Oksala N, Sand J. Adenocarcinoma of the Oesophagus and Oesophagogastric Junction: Analysis of Incidence and Risk Factors. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:2323-9 pubmed..BE was associated with the risk of EAC and cholecystectomy with the risk of EGJAC. ..
- Päivä H, Laakso J, Laine H, Laaksonen R, Knuuti J, Raitakari O. Plasma asymmetric dimethylarginine and hyperemic myocardial blood flow in young subjects with borderline hypertension or familial hypercholesterolemia. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002;40:1241-7 pubmed..Subjects with BHT have significantly increased plasma ADMA levels, which may partly explain the impaired hyperemic MBF in this condition. ..
- Tihtonen K, Koobi T, Yli Hankala A, Uotila J. Maternal hemodynamics during cesarean delivery assessed by whole-body impedance cardiography. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2005;84:355-61 pubmed..Intact physiological cardiovascular compensation mechanisms are needed to adapt to these challenges. Whole-body impedance cardiography may offer a useful noninvasive tool to monitor hemodynamics during cesarean section. ..
- Vuoristo M, Hahka Kemppinen M, Parvinen L, Pyrhonen S, Seppä H, Korpela M, et al. Randomized trial of dacarbazine versus bleomycin, vincristine, lomustine and dacarbazine (BOLD) chemotherapy combined with natural or recombinant interferon-alpha in patients with advanced melanoma. Melanoma Res. 2005;15:291-6 pubmed..Patients with soft tissue or lung metastases may achieve more complete responses with BOLD regimens. ..
- Aho A, Yli Hankala A, Lyytikäinen L, Jantti V. Facial muscle activity, Response Entropy, and State Entropy indices during noxious stimuli in propofol-nitrous oxide or propofol-nitrous oxide-remifentanil anaesthesia without neuromuscular block. Br J Anaesth. 2009;102:227-33 pubmed publisher..Owing to their overlapping power spectra, the contribution of EMG and EEG cannot be accurately separated with frequency analysis in the range of 10-40 Hz. ..
- Liimatainen S, Fallah M, Kharazmi E, Peltola M, Peltola J. Interleukin-6 levels are increased in temporal lobe epilepsy but not in extra-temporal lobe epilepsy. J Neurol. 2009;256:796-802 pubmed publisher..The results may reflect a chronic immunological process in the brain in patients with refractory epilepsy. ..
- Harrison L, Luukkaala T, Pertovaara H, Saarinen T, Heinonen T, Järvenpää R, et al. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma response evaluation with MRI texture classification. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2009;28:87 pubmed publisher..Texture characteristics of MRI data were classified successfully; this proved texture analysis to be potential quantitative means of representing lymphoma tissue changes during chemotherapy response monitoring. ..
- Sauni R, Linna A, Oksa P, Nordman H, Tuppurainen M, Uitti J. Cobalt asthma--a case series from a cobalt plant. Occup Med (Lond). 2010;60:301-6 pubmed publisher..Symptoms of asthma may continue despite the fact that occupational exposure to cobalt has ceased. ..
- Hietanen J, Nummenmaa L. The naked truth: the face and body sensitive N170 response is enhanced for nude bodies. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24408 pubmed publisher..Such facilitated visual processing of other people's nude bodies is possibly beneficial in identifying potential mating partners and competitors, and for triggering sexual behavior. ..
- Cervinka T, Hyttinen J, Sievänen H. Threshold-free automatic detection of cortical bone geometry by peripheral quantitative computed tomography. J Clin Densitom. 2012;15:413-421 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the OBS method improved assessment of all observed measures of cortical geometry and can enhance the cortical bone analysis of pQCT images in clinical research studies. ..
- Tuire I, Marja Leena L, Teea S, Katri H, Jukka P, Päivi S, et al. Persistent duodenal intraepithelial lymphocytosis despite a long-term strict gluten-free diet in celiac disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2012;107:1563-9 pubmed publisher..Intraepithelial lymphocytosis may persist for years while villous morphology normalizes. Factors contributing to this and the clinical relevance of persistent intraepithelial lymphocytosis were here investigated...
- Kuparinen T, Marttila S, Jylhävä J, Tserel L, Peterson P, Jylha M, et al. Cytomegalovirus (CMV)-dependent and -independent changes in the aging of the human immune system: a transcriptomic analysis. Exp Gerontol. 2013;48:305-12 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that the CMV-dependent and CMV-independent changes in the aging of the immune system are fundamentally different. ..
- Punamaki R, Paavonen J, Toikka S, Solantaus T. Effectiveness of preventive family intervention in improving cognitive attributions among children of depressed parents: a randomized study. J Fam Psychol. 2013;27:683-90 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that a short preventive intervention can enhance beneficial cognitive processes in high-risk families in routine adult psychiatric care. ..
- KÃ¤Ã¤riÃ¤inen T, Taimela S, Aalto T, KrÃ¶ger H, Herno A, Turunen V, et al. The effect of decompressive surgery on lumbar paraspinal and biceps brachii muscle function and movement perception in lumbar spinal stenosis: a 2-year follow-up. Eur Spine J. 2016;25:789-94 pubmed publisher..The surgery did not affect either the feed-forward or the feed-back muscle function, which indicates that the abnormal muscle activity in LSS is at least partly irreversible. ..
- SeppÃ¤lÃ¤ M, Halme E, Tiilikainen L, Luukkainen A, Laranne J, Rautiainen M, et al. The expression and prognostic relevance of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase in tongue squamous cell carcinoma. Acta Otolaryngol. 2016;136:729-35 pubmed publisher..However, IDO expression associated with poor survival in the sub-groups with primary tumor stage T2-T4 and in the sub-group with strong inflammation in tumors' invasive front. ..
- Suominen T, Heikkinen T, Pakarinen M, Sepponen A, KylmÃ¤ J. Knowledge of HIV infection and other sexually transmitted diseases among men who have sex with men in Finland. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:121 pubmed publisher..We should also consider the possibility of using internet-based interventions, especially in smaller and northern catchment areas, in order to improve the knowledge level of men having sex with men. ..
- Pohjantähti H, Laitinen J, Parkkari J. Exercise-induced bronchospasm among healthy elite cross country skiers and non-athletic students. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2005;15:324-8 pubmed..Even a mild asthma decreases minute ventilation and maximal performance of winter sport athletes. Therefore, skiers with long-term respiratory symptoms or decreased performance should be studied for EIA and treated adequately. ..
- Sievänen H, Józsa L, Pap I, Järvinen M, Järvinen T, Kannus P, et al. Fragile external phenotype of modern human proximal femur in comparison with medieval bone. J Bone Miner Res. 2007;22:537-43 pubmed..This mechanically compromised external phenotype underscores the importance of timely strengthening of the skeleton and its regular maintenance throughout life. ..
- Pasanen K, Parkkari J, Kannus P, Rossi L, Palvanen M, Natri A, et al. Injury risk in female floorball: a prospective one-season follow-up. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2008;18:49-54 pubmed..Eleven injuries (6%) needed hospital admission. The study attested that injury rate in floorball game is very high. Injury prevention strategies in female floorball should be targeted at injuries occurring at the knee and ankle. ..
- Nieminen T, Matinheikki J, Nenonen A, Kukkonen Harjula K, Lindi V, Hämelahti P, et al. The relationship of sterol regulatory element-binding protein cleavage-activation protein and apolipoprotein E gene polymorphisms with metabolic changes during weight reduction. Metabolism. 2007;56:876-80 pubmed..However, the apo E-but not SCAP genotype-seems to be one of the modifying factors for serum cholesterol concentrations during very low-energy diet in obese premenopausal women. ..
- Bläuer M, Rovio P, Ylikomi T, Heinonen P. Vitamin D inhibits myometrial and leiomyoma cell proliferation in vitro. Fertil Steril. 2009;91:1919-25 pubmed publisher..Both myometrial and leiomyoma cell growth in vitro was effectively inhibited by 1,25(OH)(2)D(3). Vitamin D may play a role in the growth of uterine leiomyomas. ..
- Suominen T, Schoser B, Raheem O, Auvinen S, Walter M, Krahe R, et al. High frequency of co-segregating CLCN1 mutations among myotonic dystrophy type 2 patients from Finland and Germany. J Neurol. 2008;255:1731-6 pubmed publisher..DM2 patients with co-segregating CLCN1 mutation have an increased likelihood to be referred for molecular diagnostic testing compared to DM2 patients without co-segregating CLCN1 mutation. ..
- Flinck A, Paavilainen E. Women's experiences of their violent behavior in an intimate partner relationship. Qual Health Res. 2010;20:306-18 pubmed publisher..Helping methods should provide women with the opportunity to talk about their abusive behavior and to confront and address their feelings of guilt, disappointment, and shame. ..
- Ilanne Parikka P, Laaksonen D, Eriksson J, Lakka T, Lindstr J, Peltonen M, et al. Leisure-time physical activity and the metabolic syndrome in the Finnish diabetes prevention study. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:1610-7 pubmed publisher..5 times/year). Increased moderate-to-vigorous LTPA was associated with a decreased likelihood of developing the MetS and an increased likelihood of its resolution in individuals at high risk for type 2 diabetes. ..
- Parkka J, Cluitmans L, Ermes M. Personalization algorithm for real-time activity recognition using PDA, wireless motion bands, and binary decision tree. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed. 2010;14:1211-5 pubmed publisher..The online system can detect these activities with overall 86.6% accuracy and with 94.0% accuracy after classifier personalization. ..
- Sillanpää P, Mattila V, Visuri T, Mäenpää H, Pihlajamaki H. Patellofemoral osteoarthritis in patients with operative treatment for patellar dislocation: a magnetic resonance-based analysis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2011;19:230-5 pubmed publisher..The study hypothesis was that PF cartilage lesions and OA are associated with a poor long-term outcome after PF stabilizing surgery...
- Mustalahti K, Catassi C, Reunanen A, Fabiani E, Heier M, McMillan S, et al. The prevalence of celiac disease in Europe: results of a centralized, international mass screening project. Ann Med. 2010;42:587-95 pubmed publisher..CD is common in Europe. CD prevalence shows large unexplained differences in adult age across different European countries. ..
- Rantanen T, Honkanen T, Paavonen T, Rantanen L, Oksala N. Altered expression of HSP27 and HSP70 in distal oesophageal mucosa in patients with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease subjected to fundoplication. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2011;37:168-74 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that there may be some factor interfering with the mucosal defence system of the distal oesophagus in GERD that is uninfluenced by fundoplication and not associated with the acid-reflux-normalizing effect. ..
- Huttunen R, Kuparinen T, Jylhävä J, Aittoniemi J, Vuento R, Huhtala H, et al. Fatal outcome in bacteremia is characterized by high plasma cell free DNA concentration and apoptotic DNA fragmentation: a prospective cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21700 pubmed publisher..cf-DNA displayed a predominating low-molecular-weight cf-DNA band in nonsurvivors corresponding to the size of apoptotic nucleosomal DNA. ..
- Jehkonen M, Saunamäki T, Alzamora A, Laihosalo M, Kuikka P. Driving ability in stroke patients with residual visual inattention: a case study. Neurocase. 2012;18:160-6 pubmed publisher..All patients passed the official on-road driving test and were considered capable of driving. This study raises the question if acute neglect can recover to a degree in which driving may be possible. ..
- Lähdeaho M, Maki M, Laurila K, Huhtala H, Kaukinen K. Small- bowel mucosal changes and antibody responses after low- and moderate-dose gluten challenge in celiac disease. BMC Gastroenterol. 2011;11:129 pubmed publisher..As there are always some celiac disease patients who will not respond within these conditions, sample sizes must be sufficiently large to attain to statistical power in analysis. ..
- Veitonmäki T, Tammela T, Auvinen A, Murtola T. Use of aspirin, but not other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs is associated with decreased prostate cancer risk at the population level. Eur J Cancer. 2013;49:938-45 pubmed publisher..In contrast, aspirin use is associated with a decreased overall prostate cancer risk. Further studies on aspirin and prostate cancer will be needed. ..
- Nordfors K, Haapasalo J, Sallinen P, Haapasalo H, Soini Y. Expression of claudins relates to tumour aggressivity, location and recurrence in ependymomas. Histol Histopathol. 2013;28:1137-46 pubmed publisher..CLDN2 and CLDN5 were expressed commonly in ependymomas, while the parental ependymal cells in the central nervous system were usually negative. Evidently, claudins influence growth and differentiation in ependymomas. ..
- Kuusisto K, Akinrinade O, Vihinen M, Kankuri Tammilehto M, Laasanen S, Schleutker J. copy number variation analysis in familial BRCA1/2-negative Finnish breast and ovarian cancer. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71802 pubmed publisher..This information may be used to facilitate the genetic counselling of HBOC individuals but the preliminary results warrant additional studies of a larger study group. ..
- Järvinen P, Kivela A, Nummela P, Lepistö A, Ristimaki A, Parkkila S. Carbonic anhydrase II: a novel biomarker for pseudomyxoma peritonei. APMIS. 2017;125:207-212 pubmed publisher..044). This study suggests that the expression of CA II acts as independent prognostic biomarker for survival in PMP. ..
- Sippola S, Gronroos J, Tuominen R, Paajanen H, Rautio T, Nordstrom P, et al. Economic evaluation of antibiotic therapy versus appendicectomy for the treatment of uncomplicated acute appendicitis from the APPAC randomized clinical trial. Br J Surg. 2017;104:1355-1361 pubmed publisher..Patients receiving antibiotic therapy for uncomplicated appendicitis incurred lower costs than those who had surgery. ..
- Laine O, Makela S, Mustonen J, Huhtala H, Szanto T, Vaheri A, et al. Enhanced thrombin formation and fibrinolysis during acute Puumala hantavirus infection. Thromb Res. 2010;126:154-8 pubmed publisher..During acute NE thrombocytopenia was associated with decreased natural anticoagulants, shortened thrombin time and enhanced fibrinolysis. Augmented thrombin formation and fibrinolysis characterize this hantavirus infection. ..
- Mäkelä K, Helen P, Haapasalo H, Paavonen T. Complement activation in astrocytomas: deposition of C4d and patient outcome. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:565 pubmed publisher..014, log-rank test). The worsening of patient outcome and malignant progression of tumor cells seem to be connected to microenvironmental changes evoked by chronically activated complement. ..
- Kunnas T, Holmberg Marttila D, Karhunen P. Analysis of estrogen receptor dinucleotide polymorphism by capillary gel electrophoresis with a population genetic study in 180 Finns. Hum Hered. 1999;49:142-5 pubmed..The overall distribution of alleles seemed to be similar to that found among Italian and Japanese populations. ..
- Kahonen M, Ylitalo R, Koobi T, Turjanmaa V, Ylitalo P. Influences of nonselective, beta(1)-selective and vasodilatory beta(1)-selective beta-blockers on arterial pulse wave velocity in normotensive subjects. Gen Pharmacol. 2000;35:219-24 pubmed..002) and celiprolol (P<.0001). In conclusion, the acute effects of bisoprolol and propranolol on arterial PWV in normotensive subjects seem to differ from that of celiprolol...
- Rainesalo S, Keränen T, Saransaari P, Honkaniemi J. GABA and glutamate transporters are expressed in human platelets. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2005;141:161-5 pubmed..We also show that platelets contain transporters for dopamine, taurine and creatine. The cloning of these transporters confirms that blood platelets can be used as a model for neurotransmitter transport in the CNS. ..
- Raitala A, Karjalainen J, Oja S, Kosunen T, Hurme M. Helicobacter pylori-induced indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase activity in vivo is regulated by TGFB1 and CTLA4 polymorphisms. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:1011-4 pubmed..This suggests that H. pylori induced IDO activity is regulated by TGFB1 and CTLA4, and that IDO is a mediator of the T cell suppressive effects of these genes. ..
- Jylhävä J, Eklund C, Pessi T, Raitakari O, Juonala M, Kahonen M, et al. Genetics of C-reactive protein and complement factor H have an epistatic effect on carotid artery compliance: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Clin Exp Immunol. 2009;155:53-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the combined presence of CRP haplotype ATGTG and CFH 402His allele may be disadvantageous to carotid artery elasticity in males. ..
- Jämsen E, Nevalainen P, Eskelinen A, Huotari K, Kalliovalkama J, Moilanen T. Obesity, diabetes, and preoperative hyperglycemia as predictors of periprosthetic joint infection: a single-center analysis of 7181 primary hip and knee replacements for osteoarthritis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012;94:e101 pubmed publisher..Prognostic Level II. See Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence. ..
- Kukkonen Harjula K, Kauppinen K. Health effects and risks of sauna bathing. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2006;65:195-205 pubmed
- Jylhävä J, Haarala A, Eklund C, Pertovaara M, Kahonen M, Hutri Kähönen N, et al. Serum amyloid A is independently associated with metabolic risk factors but not with early atherosclerosis: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. J Intern Med. 2009;266:286-95 pubmed publisher..Further longitudinal studies will show whether SAA holds a prognostic value as a risk marker, analogously to CRP. ..
- Leontyev S, Tsagakis K, Pacini D, Di Bartolomeo R, Mohr F, Weiss G, et al. Impact of clinical factors and surgical techniques on early outcome of patients treated with frozen elephant trunk technique by using EVITA open stent-graft: results of a multicentre study. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2016;49:660-6 pubmed publisher..For distal aortic lesions, a two-staged approach is suggested, rather than the FET landing lower than T10. ..
- Vilmi Kerälä T, Lauhio A, Tervahartiala T, Palomäki O, Uotila J, Sorsa T, et al. Subclinical inflammation associated with prolonged TIMP-1 upregulation and arterial stiffness after gestational diabetes mellitus: a hospital-based cohort study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2017;16:49 pubmed publisher..Cardiovascular risk factors were more common in participants with high BMI than in those with previous GDM. ..
- Laitinen S, Martikainen P, Tolonen T, Isola J, Tammela T, Visakorpi T. EZH2, Ki-67 and MCM7 are prognostic markers in prostatectomy treated patients. Int J Cancer. 2008;122:595-602 pubmed..09 (0.01-0.69). In conclusion, Ki-67, EZH2 and MCM7 are potential prognostic biomarkers in prostatectomy treated patients. ..
- Rantala S, Vuopio Varkila J, Vuento R, Huhtala H, Syrjanen J. Clinical presentations and epidemiology of beta-haemolytic streptococcal bacteraemia: a population-based study. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2009;15:286-8 pubmed publisher..Disruption of the cutaneous barrier was a very common predisposing factor in GAS and GGS bacteraemias. Skin infections were the presenting clinical manifestations in two-thirds of GAS and GGS bacteraemias. ..
- Tähtinen O, Manninen H, Vanninen R, Seppänen J, Niskakangas T, Rinne J, et al. The silk flow-diverting stent in the endovascular treatment of complex intracranial aneurysms: technical aspects and midterm results in 24 consecutive patients. Neurosurgery. 2012;70:617-23; discussion 623-4 pubmed publisher..Perioperative thromboembolic events should be prepared for and treated without unnecessary delays because they frequently respond to adjunctive medical therapy. ..
- Stenholm S, KivimÃ¤ki M, JylhÃ¤ M, Kawachi I, Westerlund H, Pentti J, et al. Trajectories of self-rated health in the last 15 years of life by cause of death. Eur J Epidemiol. 2016;31:177-85 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that declining self-rated health might capture pathological changes before and beyond the disease diagnosis. ..
- Sandell S, Huovinen S, Palmio J, Raheem O, Lindfors M, Zhao F, et al. Diagnostically important muscle pathology in DNAJB6 mutated LGMD1D. Acta Neuropathol Commun. 2016;4:9 pubmed publisher..The corresponding findings on histopathology offer clues for the diagnosis. ..
- Laitinen M, Parry M, Albergo J, Umathi V, Jeys L, Grimer R. Resection of the ilium in patients with a sarcoma: should the pelvic ring be reconstructed?. Bone Joint J. 2017;99-B:538-543 pubmed publisher..When total resection of the ilium is considered, reconstruction should also be considered as it confers a higher functional outcome than total resection without reconstruction. Cite this article: Bone Joint J 2017;99-B:538-43. ..
- Viiri L, Viiri K, Ilveskoski E, Huhtala H, Maki M, Tienari P, et al. Interactions of functional apolipoprotein E gene promoter polymorphisms with smoking on aortic atherosclerosis. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2008;1:107-16 pubmed publisher..The +113G/C polymorphism has an effect on transcriptional activity. ..
- Taavela J, Kurppa K, Collin P, Lähdeaho M, Salmi T, Saavalainen P, et al. Degree of damage to the small bowel and serum antibody titers correlate with clinical presentation of patients with celiac disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013;11:166-71.e1 pubmed publisher..Patient-reported outcomes are therefore of value, in addition to histology findings, in assessing patients with celiac disease. ..
- Saarelainen S, Staff S, Peltonen N, Lehtimaki T, Isola J, Kujala P, et al. Endoglin, VEGF, and its receptors in predicting metastases in endometrial carcinoma. Tumour Biol. 2014;35:4651-7 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study suggest that preoperative serum VEGF concentration correlates with the presence of metastases in endometrioid endometrial carcinoma. ..
- Aittasalo M, Raitanen J, Kinnunen T, Ojala K, Kolu P, Luoto R. Is intensive counseling in maternity care feasible and effective in promoting physical activity among women at risk for gestational diabetes? Secondary analysis of a cluster randomized NELLI study in Finland. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012;9:104 pubmed publisher..However, it was able to reduce the decrease in the weekly frequency of total and moderate-to-vigorous-intensity LTPA from baseline to the end of second trimester and was feasibly embedded into routine practices. TR ..