Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish proteins in Germany
Topic: zebrafish proteins
Publications188 found, 100 shown here
- Takamiya M, Campos Ortega J. Hedgehog signalling controls zebrafish neural keel morphogenesis via its level-dependent effects on neurogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:978-97 pubmed..Such differences seem to be created in part by regional effector signalling; the effects of high Hh-signalling on medial neurogenesis can be reversed in accordance to medial Tri/Stbm level, in a polarity independent manner. ..
- Schweitzer J, Gimnopoulos D, Lieberoth B, Pogoda H, Feldner J, Ebert A, et al. Contactin1a expression is associated with oligodendrocyte differentiation and axonal regeneration in the central nervous system of zebrafish. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;35:194-207 pubmed..These complex regulation patterns suggest roles for Cntn1a in myelinating cells and neurons particularly in successful CNS regeneration. ..
- Choorapoikayil S, Willems B, Ströhle P, Gajewski M. Analysis of her1 and her7 mutants reveals a spatio temporal separation of the somite clock module. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39073 pubmed publisher..Together, this data indicates the existence of an independent and genetically separable anterior and posterior deltaC clock modules in the presomitic mesdorm (PSM). ..
- Mahabaleshwar H, Tarbashevich K, Nowak M, Brand M, Raz E. ?-arrestin control of late endosomal sorting facilitates decoy receptor function and chemokine gradient formation. Development. 2012;139:2897-902 pubmed publisher..arrestins thus function in regulating chemokine gradient formation, allowing responding cells to discriminate between alternative migration targets in vivo. ..
- Warga R, Nusslein Volhard C. Origin and development of the zebrafish endoderm. Development. 1999;126:827-38 pubmed..This suggests that a common pathway initially specifies germ layers together before a progressive sequence of determinative events segregate endoderm and mesoderm into morphologically distinct germ layers. ..
- Theil T, Aydin S, Koch S, Grotewold L, Ruther U. Wnt and Bmp signalling cooperatively regulate graded Emx2 expression in the dorsal telencephalon. Development. 2002;129:3045-54 pubmed..These results establish Emx2 as a direct transcriptional target of Wnt and Bmp signalling and provide insights into a genetic hierarchy involving Gli3, Emx2 and Bmp and Wnt genes in the control of dorsal telencephalic development. ..
- To T, Hahner S, Nica G, Rohr K, Hammerschmidt M, Winkler C, et al. Pituitary-interrenal interaction in zebrafish interrenal organ development. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:472-85 pubmed..These data demonstrate a gradual transition from early pituitary-independent interrenal organogenesis to developmental control by the anterior domain of pituitary corticotrophs acting via Mc2 receptors...
- Tiedke J, Cubuk C, Burmester T. Environmental acidification triggers oxidative stress and enhances globin expression in zebrafish gills. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;441:624-9 pubmed publisher..These findings agree with the role of globins in oxidative energy metabolism, but may also hint at a specific function in antioxidative defense. ..
- Miyares R, Stein C, Renisch B, Anderson J, Hammerschmidt M, Farber S. Long-chain Acyl-CoA synthetase 4A regulates Smad activity and dorsoventral patterning in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Cell. 2013;27:635-47 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a critical role for Acsl4a in modulating Bmp-Smad activity and provide a potential avenue for LC-PUFAs to influence a variety of developmental processes. ..
- Distel M, Hocking J, Volkmann K, Köster R. The centrosome neither persistently leads migration nor determines the site of axonogenesis in migrating neurons in vivo. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:875-90 pubmed publisher..These in vivo data reveal a new temporal orchestration of organelle dynamics and provide important insights into the variation in intracellular processes during vertebrate brain differentiation. ..
- Onichtchouk D. Pou5f1/oct4 in pluripotency control: insights from zebrafish. Genesis. 2012;50:75-85 pubmed publisher..Here, I will review the roles of Pou5f1 in development and discuss the evolutionary conservation of Pou5f1 functions and their relation to pluripotency control. ..
- Gebauer J, Kobbe B, Paulsson M, Wagener R. Structure, evolution and expression of collagen XXVIII: Lessons from the zebrafish. Matrix Biol. 2016;49:106-119 pubmed publisher..They are differentially expressed in the liver, thymus, muscle, intestine and skin. Altogether our results point to a unique nature of collagen XXVIII within the collagen family. ..
- Hadeball B, Borchers A, Wedlich D. Xenopus cadherin-11 (Xcadherin-11) expression requires the Wg/Wnt signal. Mech Dev. 1998;72:101-13 pubmed
- Cerda J, Reidenbach S, Prätzel S, Franke W. Cadherin-catenin complexes during zebrafish oogenesis: heterotypic junctions between oocytes and follicle cells. Biol Reprod. 1999;61:692-704 pubmed..These findings suggest possible roles of these junctional proteins during early embryogenesis. ..
- Hobmayer B, Rentzsch F, Kuhn K, Happel C, von Laue C, Snyder P, et al. WNT signalling molecules act in axis formation in the diploblastic metazoan Hydra. Nature. 2000;407:186-9 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Wnt signalling may be involved in axis formation in Hydra and support the idea that it was central in the evolution of axial differentiation in early multicellular animals...
- Mao B, Wu W, Davidson G, Marhold J, Li M, Mechler B, et al. Kremen proteins are Dickkopf receptors that regulate Wnt/beta-catenin signalling. Nature. 2002;417:664-7 pubmed..The results indicate that Kremen1 and Kremen2 are components of a membrane complex modulating canonical Wnt signalling through LRP6 in vertebrates. ..
- Langheinrich U, Hennen E, Stott G, Vacun G. Zebrafish as a model organism for the identification and characterization of drugs and genes affecting p53 signaling. Curr Biol. 2002;12:2023-8 pubmed..We conclude that zebrafish represents a promising model organism for future compound-based and genetic screens and believe that it will help to identify and characterize new anticancer drugs and new targets for cancer treatment. ..
- Janicke M, Carney T, Hammerschmidt M. Foxi3 transcription factors and Notch signaling control the formation of skin ionocytes from epidermal precursors of the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 2007;307:258-71 pubmed..A model for ionocyte versus keratinocyte development will be presented, postulating additional thus far unidentified pro-ionocyte factors. ..
- Schlicht R, Winkler G. A delay stochastic process with applications in molecular biology. J Math Biol. 2008;57:613-48 pubmed publisher..Simulation of the molecular oscillator controlling this process reveals major differences between stochastic and deterministic models. ..
- Löhr H, Ryu S, Driever W. Zebrafish diencephalic A11-related dopaminergic neurons share a conserved transcriptional network with neuroendocrine cell lineages. Development. 2009;136:1007-17 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a common evolutionary origin of specific hypothalamic neuroendocrine and dopaminergic systems. ..
- Webb K, Norton W, Trumbach D, Meijer A, Ninkovic J, Topp S, et al. Zebrafish reward mutants reveal novel transcripts mediating the behavioral effects of amphetamine. Genome Biol. 2009;10:R81 pubmed publisher..Together, our results identify a new network of coordinated gene regulation that influences or accompanies amphetamine-triggered conditioned place preference behavior and that may underlie the susceptibility to addiction. ..
- Vannier C, Mock K, Brabletz T, Driever W. Zeb1 regulates E-cadherin and Epcam (epithelial cell adhesion molecule) expression to control cell behavior in early zebrafish development. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:18643-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, Zeb1 proteins employ several evolutionary conserved mechanisms to regulate cell-cell adhesion during development and cancer. ..
- Kleinschmidt M, Wagner T, Liedtke D, Spahr S, Samans B, Gaubatz S. lin9 is required for mitosis and cell survival during early zebrafish development. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:13119-27 pubmed publisher..Our data establish LIN9 as an essential regulator of mitosis in vertebrate development. ..
- Wittkopp N, Huntzinger E, Weiler C, Sauliere J, Schmidt S, Sonawane M, et al. Nonsense-mediated mRNA decay effectors are essential for zebrafish embryonic development and survival. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:3517-28 pubmed publisher..Our results together with previous studies show that NMD effectors are essential for vertebrate embryogenesis and suggest that the coupling of splicing and NMD has been maintained in vertebrates but lost in fungi and invertebrates. ..
- Takke C, Campos Ortega J. her1, a zebrafish pair-rule like gene, acts downstream of notch signalling to control somite development. Development. 1999;126:3005-14 pubmed..Whereas notch signalling alone apparently does not affect myogenesis, zebrafish groucho2 is involved in differentiation of mesodermal derivatives. ..
- Holzschuh J, Barrallo Gimeno A, Ettl A, Durr K, Knapik E, Driever W. Noradrenergic neurons in the zebrafish hindbrain are induced by retinoic acid and require tfap2a for expression of the neurotransmitter phenotype. Development. 2003;130:5741-54 pubmed..Thus, although the inductive signals may be distinct, hindbrain NA neurons of the locus coeruleus and the posterior groups both require Tfap2a to establish their noradrenergic identity. ..
- Durr K, Holzschuh J, Filippi A, Ettl A, Ryu S, Shepherd I, et al. Differential roles of transcriptional mediator complex subunits Crsp34/Med27, Crsp150/Med14 and Trap100/Med24 during zebrafish retinal development. Genetics. 2006;174:693-705 pubmed
- Reim G, Brand M. Maternal control of vertebrate dorsoventral axis formation and epiboly by the POU domain protein Spg/Pou2/Oct4. Development. 2006;133:2757-70 pubmed..Based on the maternal requirement for pou2 in ventral specification, we propose that ventral specification employs an active, pou2-dependent maternal induction step, rather than a default ventralizing program. ..
- Laue K, Janicke M, Plaster N, Sonntag C, Hammerschmidt M. Restriction of retinoic acid activity by Cyp26b1 is required for proper timing and patterning of osteogenesis during zebrafish development. Development. 2008;135:3775-87 pubmed publisher..cyp26b1 mutants may serve as a model to study the etiology of human vertebral disorders such as Klippel-Feil anomaly. ..
- Izumi N, Helker C, Ehling M, Behrens A, Herzog W, Adams R. Fbxw7 controls angiogenesis by regulating endothelial Notch activity. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41116 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish that Fbxw7 is a potent positive regulator of angiogenesis that limits the activity of Notch in the endothelium of the growing vasculature. ..
- Neumann C, Grandel H, Gaffield W, Schulte Merker S, Nusslein Volhard C. Transient establishment of anteroposterior polarity in the zebrafish pectoral fin bud in the absence of sonic hedgehog activity. Development. 1999;126:4817-26 pubmed..Finally, we show that Shh is required for normal development of the apical ectodermal fold, for growth of the fin bud, and for formation of the fin endoskeleton. ..
- Ninkovic J, Stigloher C, Lillesaar C, Bally Cuif L. Gsk3beta/PKA and Gli1 regulate the maintenance of neural progenitors at the midbrain-hindbrain boundary in concert with E(Spl) factor activity. Development. 2008;135:3137-48 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest a model in which the modulation of E(Spl) and Gsk3beta/PKA activities by Gli1 underlies the dynamic properties of IZ maintenance and recruitment. ..
- Gebauer J, Karlsen K, Neiss W, Paulsson M, Wagener R. Expression of the AMACO (VWA2 protein) ortholog in zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2010;10:53-9 pubmed publisher..In situ hybridization revealed that the muscle precursor cells of the somites express the protein that is laid down in the myosepta. ..
- Soker T, Dalke C, Puk O, Floss T, Becker L, Bolle I, et al. Pleiotropic effects in Eya3 knockout mice. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:118 pubmed publisher..Therefore, future investigations of Eya3 function should focus on aging mice. ..
- Behrens J. Cross-regulation of the Wnt signalling pathway: a role of MAP kinases. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 6):911-9 pubmed..Since TAK1 is activated by TGF-(beta) and various cytokines, it might provide an entry point for regulation of the Wnt system by other pathways. In addition, alterations in TAK1-NLK might play a role in cancer. ..
- Winkler C, Schafer M, Duschl J, Schartl M, Volff J. Functional divergence of two zebrafish midkine growth factors following fish-specific gene duplication. Genome Res. 2003;13:1067-81 pubmed..This provides an outstanding model to analyze the molecular mechanisms that lead to differences in pathways regulating the formation of homologous embryonic structures in different vertebrates. ..
- Carl M, Wittbrodt J. Graded interference with FGF signalling reveals its dorsoventral asymmetry at the mid-hindbrain boundary. Development. 1999;126:5659-67 pubmed..This interdependence of the two signalling pathways is also found in the outbudding optic vesicle where HH requires functional FGF signalling to activate spalt in the proximal eye region. ..
- Schoft V, Beauvais A, Lang C, Gajewski A, Prüfert K, Winkler C, et al. The lamina-associated polypeptide 2 (LAP2) isoforms beta, gamma and omega of zebrafish: developmental expression and behavior during the cell cycle. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:2505-17 pubmed
- Leung T, Bischof J, Söll I, Niessing D, Zhang D, Ma J, et al. bozozok directly represses bmp2b transcription and mediates the earliest dorsoventral asymmetry of bmp2b expression in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:3639-49 pubmed..Thus, similar to Drosophila Dpp, asymmetry of Bmp expression in zebrafish is initiated at the transcriptional level, and the shape of the gradient and its function as a morphogen are later modulated by post-transcriptional mechanisms...
- Albert J, Winter H, Schaechinger T, Weber T, Wang X, He D, et al. Voltage-sensitive prestin orthologue expressed in zebrafish hair cells. J Physiol. 2007;580:451-61 pubmed
- Wurst W, Bally Cuif L. Neural plate patterning: upstream and downstream of the isthmic organizer. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2001;2:99-108 pubmed..Here we review our current knowledge on the identity, localization and maintenance of the isthmic organizer, as well as on the molecular cascades that underlie the activity of this organizing centre...
- Dutta S, Dietrich J, Aspöck G, Burdine R, Schier A, Westerfield M, et al. pitx3 defines an equivalence domain for lens and anterior pituitary placode. Development. 2005;132:1579-90 pubmed..During mid-somitogenesis, Hedgehog then acts on the established median placode as a necessary and sufficient signal to specify pituitary cell types. ..
- Odenthal J, Nusslein Volhard C. fork head domain genes in zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol. 1998;208:245-58 pubmed..fkd6 is strongly expressed in neural crest cells from early stages on, whereas fkd2 and fkd7 are transcribed in individual neural crest cells in the pharyngula period. ..
- Fiebig J, Weidauer S, Qiu L, Bauer M, Schmieder P, Beerbaum M, et al. The clip-segment of the von Willebrand domain 1 of the BMP modulator protein Crossveinless 2 is preformed. Molecules. 2013;18:11658-82 pubmed publisher..Here we present the NMR structure of the Danio rerio CV2 VWC1 domain in its unbound state showing that the key features for high affinity binding to BMP-2 is a pre-oriented peptide loop. ..
- Montgomery J, Wiggin T, Rivera Perez L, Lillesaar C, Masino M. Intraspinal serotonergic neurons consist of two, temporally distinct populations in developing zebrafish. Dev Neurobiol. 2016;76:673-87 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this study revealed a novel developmental paradigm in which KA″ neurons are transiently serotonergic before the appearance of a stable population of tph2-expressing ISNs. ..
- Koch A, Waha A, Tonn J, Sorensen N, Berthold F, Wolter M, et al. Somatic mutations of WNT/wingless signaling pathway components in primitive neuroectodermal tumors. Int J Cancer. 2001;93:445-9 pubmed..Our data indicate that inappropriate activation of the WNT/wingless signaling pathway by mutations of its components may contribute to the pathogenesis of a subset of PNETs...
- Grotewold L, Ruther U. The Wnt antagonist Dickkopf-1 is regulated by Bmp signaling and c-Jun and modulates programmed cell death. EMBO J. 2002;21:966-75 pubmed..Taken together, our results provide evidence for an important role of Dkk-1-mediated inhibition of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in response to different stress signals that all converge on the activation of c-Jun in vivo. ..
- Ohler A, Becker Pauly C. Morpholino knockdown of the ubiquitously expressed transmembrane serine protease TMPRSS4a in zebrafish embryos exhibits severe defects in organogenesis and cell adhesion. Biol Chem. 2011;392:653-64 pubmed publisher..Whether its proteolytic activity is directed towards adhesion molecules or leads to the activation of other proteases needs to be investigated further. ..
- Chtarbova S, Nimmrich I, Erdmann S, Herter P, Renner M, Kitajewski J, et al. Murine Nr4a1 and Herpud1 are up-regulated by Wnt-1, but the homologous human genes are independent from beta-catenin activation. Biochem J. 2002;367:723-8 pubmed..These results indicate different regulation mechanisms of the two genes in murine and human cells. ..
- Schweitzer J, Becker C, Schachner M, Becker T. Expression of collapsin response mediator proteins in the nervous system of embryonic zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2005;5:809-16 pubmed..No expression of CRMP mRNAs was observed outside the nervous system. Thus, expression patterns of different CRMP family members correlate with neuronal differentiation and axonogenesis in embryonic zebrafish. ..
- Chiang I, Fritzsche M, Pichol Thievend C, Neal A, Holmes K, Lagendijk A, et al. SoxF factors induce Notch1 expression via direct transcriptional regulation during early arterial development. Development. 2017;144:2629-2639 pubmed publisher..These findings position SoxF transcription factors directly upstream of Notch receptor expression during the acquisition of arterial identity in vertebrates. ..
- Pohl B, Knochel W. Overexpression of the transcriptional repressor FoxD3 prevents neural crest formation in Xenopus embryos. Mech Dev. 2001;103:93-106 pubmed..Transplantation experiments show that FoxD3 overexpressing cells from the prospective neural crest do neither differentiate nor migrate. ..
- Kastenhuber E, Kratochwil C, Ryu S, Schweitzer J, Driever W. Genetic dissection of dopaminergic and noradrenergic contributions to catecholaminergic tracts in early larval zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:439-58 pubmed publisher..These findings are consistent with a hypothesis that Otp-dependent dopaminergic neurons establish the major modulatory system for somatomotor and somatosensory circuits in larval fish. ..
- Dick A, Hild M, Bauer H, Imai Y, Maifeld H, Schier A, et al. Essential role of Bmp7 (snailhouse) and its prodomain in dorsoventral patterning of the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2000;127:343-54 pubmed..mRNA injection studies and double mutant analyses indicate that Bmp2b and Bmp7 closely cooperate and that Bmp2b/Bmp7 signaling is transduced by Smad5 and antagonized by Chordino. ..
- Bauer H, Lele Z, Rauch G, Geisler R, Hammerschmidt M. The type I serine/threonine kinase receptor Alk8/Lost-a-fin is required for Bmp2b/7 signal transduction during dorsoventral patterning of the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2001;128:849-58 pubmed..Altogether, the data suggest that Alk8 acts as a Bmp2b/7 receptor upstream of Smad5. ..
- Bakkers J, Hild M, Kramer C, Furutani Seiki M, Hammerschmidt M. Zebrafish DeltaNp63 is a direct target of Bmp signaling and encodes a transcriptional repressor blocking neural specification in the ventral ectoderm. Dev Cell. 2002;2:617-27 pubmed..Together, DeltaNp63 fulfills the criteria to be the neural repressor postulated by the "neural default model." ..
- Zoidl G, Bruzzone R, Weickert S, Kremer M, Zoidl C, Mitropoulou G, et al. Molecular cloning and functional expression of zfCx52.6: a novel connexin with hemichannel-forming properties expressed in horizontal cells of the zebrafish retina. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:2913-21 pubmed
- Baumgart E, Barbosa J, Bally Cuif L, Gotz M, Ninkovic J. Stab wound injury of the zebrafish telencephalon: a model for comparative analysis of reactive gliosis. Glia. 2012;60:343-57 pubmed publisher..Invasive injury in the adult zebrafish telencephalon may therefore provide a useful model to untangle the molecular mechanisms involved in these beneficial glial reactions...
- Dethleffsen K, Heinrich G, Lauth M, Knapik E, Meyer M. Insert-containing neurotrophins in teleost fish and their relationship to nerve growth factor. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2003;24:380-94 pubmed..Evidence for sub- and neofunctionalization is provided. ..
- Barrallo Gimeno A, Holzschuh J, Driever W, Knapik E. Neural crest survival and differentiation in zebrafish depends on mont blanc/tfap2a gene function. Development. 2004;131:1463-77 pubmed
- Slanchev K, Stebler J, Goudarzi M, Cojocaru V, Weidinger G, Raz E. Control of Dead end localization and activity--implications for the function of the protein in antagonizing miRNA function. Mech Dev. 2009;126:270-7 pubmed publisher..Based on molecular modeling, we identify the putative RNA binding domain of Dnd as a canonical RRM and propose that this domain is important for protein subcellular localization and function. ..
- Wu W, Glinka A, Delius H, Niehrs C. Mutual antagonism between dickkopf1 and dickkopf2 regulates Wnt/beta-catenin signalling. Curr Biol. 2000;10:1611-4 pubmed..The study identifies Dkk2 as a secreted molecule that is able to activate Wnt/beta-catenin signalling. The results suggest that a coordinated interplay between inhibiting dkk1 and activating dkk2 can modulate Fz signalling. ..
- Pogoda H, Hammerschmidt M. Molecular genetics of pituitary development in zebrafish. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2007;18:543-58 pubmed..Finally, we discuss future directions, with particular focus on evolutionary aspects, and some novel functional aspects with growing medical and social relevance. ..
- Lillesaar C, Stigloher C, Tannhäuser B, Wullimann M, Bally Cuif L. Axonal projections originating from raphe serotonergic neurons in the developing and adult zebrafish, Danio rerio, using transgenics to visualize raphe-specific pet1 expression. J Comp Neurol. 2009;512:158-82 pubmed publisher..Together, our results reveal for the first time the specific innervation pattern of the zebrafish raphe and, thus, provide a new model and various tools to investigate further the role of raphe serotonergic neurons in vertebrates. ..
- Mindnich R, Hrabe de Angelis M, Adamski J. Functional genome analysis indicates loss of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 enzyme in the zebrafish. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;103:35-43 pubmed..The closely related 11beta-HSD 2 is unlikely to substitute for 17beta-HSD 2 since in our hands it did not catalyze the respective oxidation of testosterone or estradiol. ..
- Ryu S, Mahler J, Acampora D, Holzschuh J, Erhardt S, Omodei D, et al. Orthopedia homeodomain protein is essential for diencephalic dopaminergic neuron development. Curr Biol. 2007;17:873-80 pubmed..Thus, Otp is one of the few known transcription factors that can determine aspects of the dopaminergic phenotype and the first known factor to control the development of the diencephalospinal dopaminergic system. ..
- Yang L, Ho N, Muller F, Strahle U. Methyl mercury suppresses the formation of the tail primordium in developing zebrafish embryos. Toxicol Sci. 2010;115:379-90 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that MeHg impairs tail development at least partially by activation of the tissue remodeling proteases Mmp9 and Mmp13. ..
- Mahler J, Filippi A, Driever W. DeltaA/DeltaD regulate multiple and temporally distinct phases of notch signaling during dopaminergic neurogenesis in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16621-35 pubmed publisher..Rather, DeltaA/D limits the size of the sim1a- and otpa-expressing precursor pool from which dopaminergic neurons differentiate. ..
- Sugden W, Meissner R, Aegerter Wilmsen T, Tsaryk R, Leonard E, Bussmann J, et al. Endoglin controls blood vessel diameter through endothelial cell shape changes in response to haemodynamic cues. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:653-665 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that cell shape changes in response to biophysical cues act as an underlying principle allowing for the ordered patterning of tubular organs. ..
- Fernandes A, Fero K, Arrenberg A, Bergeron S, Driever W, Burgess H. Deep brain photoreceptors control light-seeking behavior in zebrafish larvae. Curr Biol. 2012;22:2042-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings shed light on the identity and function of deep brain photoreceptors and suggest that otpa specifies an ancient population of sensory neurons that mediate behavioral responses to light. ..
- Song S, Eckerle S, Onichtchouk D, Marrs J, Nitschke R, Driever W. Pou5f1-dependent EGF expression controls E-cadherin endocytosis, cell adhesion, and zebrafish epiboly movements. Dev Cell. 2013;24:486-501 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that dynamic control of E-cad trafficking is essential to effectively generate new adhesion sites when cells move relative to each other. ..
- Weidinger G, Stebler J, Slanchev K, Dumstrei K, Wise C, Lovell Badge R, et al. dead end, a novel vertebrate germ plasm component, is required for zebrafish primordial germ cell migration and survival. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1429-34 pubmed..We have identified dead end orthologs in other vertebrates including Xenopus, mouse, and chick, where they are expressed in germ plasm and germ-line cells, suggesting a role in germ-line development in these organisms as well. ..
- Knauer S, Carra G, Stauber R. Nuclear export is evolutionarily conserved in CVC paired-like homeobox proteins and influences protein stability, transcriptional activation, and extracellular secretion. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:2573-82 pubmed..Nucleocytoplasmic transport may thus represent a conserved control mechanism to fine-tune the transcriptional activity of PLC-HDPs prerequisite for regulating and maintaining the complex expression pattern during development. ..
- Paksa A, Bandemer J, Hoeckendorf B, Razin N, Tarbashevich K, Minina S, et al. Repulsive cues combined with physical barriers and cell-cell adhesion determine progenitor cell positioning during organogenesis. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11288 pubmed publisher..The combination of these developmental and cellular mechanisms prevents organ fusion, controls organ positioning and is thus critical for its proper function. ..
- Rieger S, Volkmann K, Köster R. Polysialyltransferase expression is linked to neuronal migration in the developing and adult zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:276-85 pubmed..Enzymatic removal of PSA in the embryonic cerebellum results in impaired neuronal migration, suggesting that PSA-NCAM is a key regulator of motility for cerebellar neuronal progenitors. ..
- Brault V, Moore R, Kutsch S, Ishibashi M, Rowitch D, McMahon A, et al. Inactivation of the beta-catenin gene by Wnt1-Cre-mediated deletion results in dramatic brain malformation and failure of craniofacial development. Development. 2001;128:1253-64 pubmed..Our results demonstrate the pivotal role of beta-catenin in morphogenetic processes during brain and craniofacial development...
- Robles E, Filosa A, Baier H. Precise lamination of retinal axons generates multiple parallel input pathways in the tectum. J Neurosci. 2013;33:5027-39 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that lamina-specific sorting of retinal inputs provides an anatomical blueprint for the integration of visual features in the tectum. ..
- Howe K, Schiffer P, Zielinski J, Wiehe T, Laird G, Marioni J, et al. Structure and evolutionary history of a large family of NLR proteins in the zebrafish. Open Biol. 2016;6:160009 pubmed publisher..The NLR-B30.2 proteins represent a new family with diversity in the specific recognition module that is present in fishes in spite of the parallel existence of an adaptive immune system. ..
- Kramer C, Mayr T, Nowak M, Schumacher J, Runke G, Bauer H, et al. Maternally supplied Smad5 is required for ventral specification in zebrafish embryos prior to zygotic Bmp signaling. Dev Biol. 2002;250:263-79 pubmed..This indicates that maternally supplied Smad5 is already required to mediate ventral specification prior to zygotic Bmp2/7 signaling to establish the initial dorsoventral asymmetry. ..
- Bakkers J, Camacho Carvajal M, Nowak M, Kramer C, Danger B, Hammerschmidt M. Destabilization of DeltaNp63alpha by Nedd4-mediated ubiquitination and Ubc9-mediated sumoylation, and its implications on dorsoventral patterning of the zebrafish embryo. Cell Cycle. 2005;4:790-800 pubmed..In sum, our data indicate that DeltaNp63alpha is ubiquitinated in a Nedd4- and sumoylated in a Ubc9-dependent fashion, and that these modifications can regulate DeltaNp63alpha stability in the zebrafish ectoderm. ..
- Hecht A, Litterst C, Huber O, Kemler R. Functional characterization of multiple transactivating elements in beta-catenin, some of which interact with the TATA-binding protein in vitro. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:18017-25 pubmed
- Zhang J, Piontek J, Wolburg H, Piehl C, Liss M, Otten C, et al. Establishment of a neuroepithelial barrier by Claudin5a is essential for zebrafish brain ventricular lumen expansion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:1425-30 pubmed publisher..These data establish an essential role of a barrier-forming Claudin in ventricular lumen expansion, thereby contributing to brain morphogenesis...
- Reim G, Mizoguchi T, Stainier D, Kikuchi Y, Brand M. The POU domain protein spg (pou2/Oct4) is essential for endoderm formation in cooperation with the HMG domain protein casanova. Dev Cell. 2004;6:91-101 pubmed..The joint control of endoderm formation by spg and cas suggests that the endodermal germlayer may be a tissue unit with distinct genetic control, thus adding genetic support to the germlayer concept in metazoan development. ..
- Kaluza D, Kroll J, Gesierich S, Yao T, Boon R, Hergenreider E, et al. Class IIb HDAC6 regulates endothelial cell migration and angiogenesis by deacetylation of cortactin. EMBO J. 2011;30:4142-56 pubmed publisher..In summary, we show that HDAC6 is necessary for angiogenesis in vivo and in vitro, involving the interaction and deacetylation of cortactin that regulates EC migration and sprouting. ..
- Borgal L, Habbig S, Hatzold J, Liebau M, Dafinger C, Sacarea I, et al. The ciliary protein nephrocystin-4 translocates the canonical Wnt regulator Jade-1 to the nucleus to negatively regulate ?-catenin signaling. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:25370-80 pubmed publisher..Loss of this repressor function in nephronophthisis might be an important factor promoting Wnt activation and contributing to cyst formation. ..
- Hansen I, To T, Wortmann S, Burmester T, Winkler C, Meyer S, et al. The pro-opiomelanocortin gene of the zebrafish (Danio rerio). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;303:1121-8 pubmed..These findings will facilitate the use of the zebrafish as a model organism in the study of the physiological role of POMC-derived peptides. ..