Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish in United States
Locale: United States
Publications510 found, 100 shown here
- Popperl H, Rikhof H, Chang H, Haffter P, Kimmel C, Moens C. lazarus is a novel pbx gene that globally mediates hox gene function in zebrafish. Mol Cell. 2000;6:255-67 pubmed..lazarus plays a critical role in orchestrating the corresponding segmentation of the hindbrain and the pharyngeal arches, a key step in the development of the vertebrate body plan. ..
- McWhorter M, Monani U, Burghes A, Beattie C. Knockdown of the survival motor neuron (Smn) protein in zebrafish causes defects in motor axon outgrowth and pathfinding. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:919-31 pubmed..These results show for the first time, in vivo, that Smn functions in motor axon development and suggest that these early developmental defects may lead to subsequent motoneuron loss. ..
- Theusch E, Brown K, Pelegri F. Separate pathways of RNA recruitment lead to the compartmentalization of the zebrafish germ plasm. Dev Biol. 2006;292:129-41 pubmed..Our observations suggest that separate pathways of RNA recruitment facilitate the compartmentalization of the zebrafish germ plasm...
- Weiser D, Pyati U, Kimelman D. Gravin regulates mesodermal cell behavior changes required for axis elongation during zebrafish gastrulation. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1559-71 pubmed
- Williams P, Suzuki S, Yoshimatsu T, Lawrence O, Waldron S, Parsons M, et al. In vivo development of outer retinal synapses in the absence of glial contact. J Neurosci. 2010;30:11951-61 pubmed publisher..Thus, in contrast to other CNS circuits, contact from glia is not necessary for the formation or immediate stabilization of outer retinal synapses. ..
- Lenhart K, Holtzman N, Williams J, Burdine R. Integration of nodal and BMP signals in the heart requires FoxH1 to create left-right differences in cell migration rates that direct cardiac asymmetry. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003109 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for understanding the complex genetic interactions that lead to congenital heart disease in humans. ..
- Drerup C, Nechiporuk A. JNK-interacting protein 3 mediates the retrograde transport of activated c-Jun N-terminal kinase and lysosomes. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003303 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our data provide strong evidence that Jip3 in fact serves as an adapter protein linking these cargos to dynein. ..
- Clay M, Halloran M. Cadherin 6 promotes neural crest cell detachment via F-actin regulation and influences active Rho distribution during epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition. Development. 2014;141:2506-15 pubmed publisher..Our results also identify mechanisms by which an upregulated cadherin can generate cell motility during EMT. ..
- Willer G, Lee V, Gregg R, Link B. Analysis of the Zebrafish perplexed mutation reveals tissue-specific roles for de novo pyrimidine synthesis during development. Genetics. 2005;170:1827-37 pubmed..Both de novo DNA synthesis and UDP-dependent protein glycosylation are important for the perplexed phenotypes. ..
- Dlugos C, Rabin R. Ocular deficits associated with alcohol exposure during zebrafish development. J Comp Neurol. 2007;502:497-506 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the developing zebrafish eye is sensitive to perturbation with ethanol and displays some of the eye deficits present in fetal alcohol syndrome. ..
- Von Ohlen T, Moses C. Identification of Ind transcription activation and repression domains required for dorsoventral patterning of the CNS. Mech Dev. 2009;126:552-62 pubmed publisher..Second, we show that Ind can and does repress vnd expression, but does so in a stage specific manner. We conclude from this that the function of Ind in regulating vnd expression is one of refinement and maintenance of the dorsal border. ..
- Villeneuve L, Wang R, Bencic D, Biales A, Martinovic D, Lazorchak J, et al. Altered gene expression in the brain and ovaries of zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to the aromatase inhibitor fadrozole: microarray analysis and hypothesis generation. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2009;28:1767-82 pubmed publisher..These hypotheses and others derived from the microarray results provide a foundation for future studies aimed at understanding responses of the HPG axis to EACs and other chemical stressors. ..
- Noubissi F, Goswami S, Sanek N, Kawakami K, Minamoto T, MOSER A, et al. Wnt signaling stimulates transcriptional outcome of the Hedgehog pathway by stabilizing GLI1 mRNA. Cancer Res. 2009;69:8572-8 pubmed publisher..The newly described mode of regulation of GLI1 seems to be important to several functions of Wnt, including survival and proliferation of colorectal cancer cells. ..
- Tittle R, Sze R, Ng A, Nuckels R, Swartz M, Anderson R, et al. Uhrf1 and Dnmt1 are required for development and maintenance of the zebrafish lens. Dev Biol. 2011;350:50-63 pubmed publisher..These data provide the first evidence that Uhrf1 and Dnmt1 function is required for vertebrate lens development and maintenance. ..
- Nambiar R, Henion P. Sequential antagonism of early and late Wnt-signaling by zebrafish colgate promotes dorsal and anterior fates. Dev Biol. 2004;267:165-80 pubmed
- Cameron D, Carney L. Cellular patterns in the inner retina of adult zebrafish: quantitative analyses and a computational model of their formation. J Comp Neurol. 2004;471:11-25 pubmed..The results support the hypothesis that cellular pattern formation in the inner retina of zebrafish is dominated by a set of anticlustering mechanisms that may control events at, or near, the spatiotemporal point of cell fate decision. ..
- Gahtan E, Tanger P, Baier H. Visual prey capture in larval zebrafish is controlled by identified reticulospinal neurons downstream of the tectum. J Neurosci. 2005;25:9294-303 pubmed..These results suggest that MeLc and MeLr function in series with the tectum, as part of a circuit that coordinates prey capture movements. ..
- Gomez C, Ozbudak E, Wunderlich J, Baumann D, Lewis J, Pourquie O. Control of segment number in vertebrate embryos. Nature. 2008;454:335-9 pubmed publisher..In snake embryos, however, the segmentation clock rate is much faster relative to developmental rate than in other amniotes, leading to a greatly increased number of smaller-sized somites...
- Tilton F, Tanguay R. Exposure to sodium metam during zebrafish somitogenesis results in early transcriptional indicators of the ensuing neuronal and muscular dysfunction. Toxicol Sci. 2008;106:103-12 pubmed publisher..Further study of the interactions of dithiocarbamates with the regulatory elements of fast muscle development and neurodevelopment is warranted. ..
- Catchen J, Conery J, Postlethwait J. Automated identification of conserved synteny after whole-genome duplication. Genome Res. 2009;19:1497-505 pubmed publisher..To demonstrate the utility of the system, we present a case study of gene family evolution, investigating the ARNTL gene family in the genomes of Ciona intestinalis, amphioxus, zebrafish, and human. ..
- Leu B, Koch E, Schmidt J. GAP43 phosphorylation is critical for growth and branching of retinotectal arbors in zebrafish. Dev Neurobiol. 2010;70:897-911 pubmed publisher..The results implicate the cPLA2-AA-PKC-GAP43 pathway as part of an F-actin based mechanism that both stabilizes new synapses and initiates new branches near effective synapses. ..
- Putiri E, Pelegri F. The zebrafish maternal-effect gene mission impossible encodes the DEAH-box helicase Dhx16 and is essential for the expression of downstream endodermal genes. Dev Biol. 2011;353:275-89 pubmed publisher..Maternal RNA helicases have long been known to be involved in the development of the animal germ line, but our findings add to growing evidence that these factors may also control specific gene expression programs in somatic tissues. ..
- Padilla S, Hunter D, Padnos B, Frady S, MacPhail R. Assessing locomotor activity in larval zebrafish: Influence of extrinsic and intrinsic variables. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011;33:624-30 pubmed publisher..Zebrafish larval behavior using a microtiter plate format may be an ideal endpoint for screening developmentally neurotoxic chemicals, but it is imperative that many test variables be carefully specified and controlled. ..
- Sheehan Rooney K, Swartz M, Lovely C, Dixon M, Eberhart J. Bmp and Shh signaling mediate the expression of satb2 in the pharyngeal arches. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59533 pubmed publisher..We propose that Bmp signaling establishes competence for the neural crest to respond to Hh signaling, thus inducing satb2 expression...
- Pathakoti K, Morrow S, Han C, Pelaez M, He X, Dionysiou D, et al. Photoinactivation of Escherichia coli by sulfur-doped and nitrogen-fluorine-codoped TiO2 nanoparticles under solar simulated light and visible light irradiation. Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:9988-96 pubmed publisher..These findings also demonstrate that the tested TiO2 nanoparticles do not show any adverse effects in HaCaT and ZFL cells. ..
- Boccuto L, Aoki K, Flanagan Steet H, Chen C, Fan X, Bartel F, et al. A mutation in a ganglioside biosynthetic enzyme, ST3GAL5, results in salt & pepper syndrome, a neurocutaneous disorder with altered glycolipid and glycoprotein glycosylation. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:418-33 pubmed publisher..Morphant zebrafish embryos also exhibited increased apoptotic cell death in multiple brain regions, emphasizing the importance of GSL expression in normal neural development and function. ..
- Dempsey W, Hodas N, Ponti A, Pantazis P. Determination of the source of SHG verniers in zebrafish skeletal muscle. Sci Rep. 2015;5:18119 pubmed publisher..Based on our results, we assert that complex optical artifacts such as SHG verniers should be taken into account when applying functional SHG imaging as a diagnostic readout for pathological muscle conditions. ..
- Feng X, Adiarte E, Devoto S. Hedgehog acts directly on the zebrafish dermomyotome to promote myogenic differentiation. Dev Biol. 2006;300:736-46 pubmed..We propose that Hedgehog signaling acts at multiple times on different lineages, through different downstream pathways, to promote myogenic differentiation. ..
- Chen J, Carney S, Peterson R, Heideman W. Comparative genomics identifies genes mediating cardiotoxicity in the embryonic zebrafish heart. Physiol Genomics. 2008;33:148-58 pubmed publisher..Among the genes rapidly induced by RA was Nr2F5, a member of the COUP-TF family of transcriptional repressors. We found that induction of Nr2F5 was both necessary and sufficient for the cardiotoxic response to RA. ..
- Zhao Y, Rangnekar V. Apoptosis and tumor resistance conferred by Par-4. Cancer Biol Ther. 2008;7:1867-74 pubmed..The tumor resistant phenotype and undetectable toxicity of SAC in vivo suggests the SAC domain possesses tremendous therapeutic potential. ..
- Maddison L, Lu J, Victoroff T, Scott E, Baier H, Chen W. A gain-of-function screen in zebrafish identifies a guanylate cyclase with a role in neuronal degeneration. Mol Genet Genomics. 2009;281:551-63 pubmed publisher..From this study, we propose that this gain-of-function approach can be applied to large-scale genetic screens in a vertebrate model organism and may reveal previously unknown gene function. ..
- Kirkwood J, Lebold K, Miranda C, Wright C, Miller G, Tanguay R, et al. Vitamin C deficiency activates the purine nucleotide cycle in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:3833-41 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that vitamin C is crucial for the maintenance of cellular energy metabolism. ..
- Namdaran P, Reinhart K, Owens K, Raible D, Rubel E. Identification of modulators of hair cell regeneration in the zebrafish lateral line. J Neurosci. 2012;32:3516-28 pubmed publisher..Our observation that hair cells do not regenerate when support cell proliferation is impeded confirms previous observations that cell division is the primary route for hair cell regeneration after neomycin treatment in zebrafish. ..
- Schock E, Ford W, Midgley K, Fader J, Giavasis M, McWhorter M. The effects of carbaryl on the development of zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Zebrafish. 2012;9:169-78 pubmed publisher..Our study, which was conducted solely by undergraduates at a liberal arts college, indicates that carbaryl may be detrimental to the development of nontarget species. ..
- Herberger A, Loretz C. Morpholino oligonucleotide knockdown of the extracellular calcium-sensing receptor impairs early skeletal development in zebrafish. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2013;166:470-81 pubmed publisher..We conclude that, like its critically important role in normal bone development in mammals, CaSR is essential in skeletogenesis in fishes. ..
- Sedykh I, Yoon B, Roberson L, Moskvin O, Dewey C, Grinblat Y. Zebrafish zic2 controls formation of periocular neural crest and choroid fissure morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2017;429:92-104 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data establish zic2 mutant zebrafish as a powerful new genetic model for in-depth dissection of cell interactions and genetic controls during craniofacial complex development. ..
- Andreasen E, Hahn M, Heideman W, Peterson R, Tanguay R. The zebrafish (Danio rerio) aryl hydrocarbon receptor type 1 is a novel vertebrate receptor. Mol Pharmacol. 2002;62:234-49 pubmed..Finally, using chimeric zfAHR1/zfAHR2 constructs, the lack of TCDD-mediated transcriptional activity was localized to the ligand-binding and C-terminal domains of zfAHR1. ..
- Chittenden T, Claes F, Lanahan A, Autiero M, Palac R, Tkachenko E, et al. Selective regulation of arterial branching morphogenesis by synectin. Dev Cell. 2006;10:783-95 pubmed..We conclude that synectin is involved in selective regulation of arterial, but not venous, growth and branching morphogenesis and that Rac1 plays an important role in this process. ..
- Tiedeken J, Ramsdell J. Embryonic exposure to domoic Acid increases the susceptibility of zebrafish larvae to the chemical convulsant pentylenetetrazole. Environ Health Perspect. 2007;115:1547-52 pubmed
- Lang M, Patterson L, Gordon T, Johnson S, Parichy D. Basonuclin-2 requirements for zebrafish adult pigment pattern development and female fertility. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000744 pubmed publisher..These findings identify bnc2 as an important mediator of adult pigment pattern formation and identify bonaparte mutants as an animal model for dissecting bnc2 functions...
- Stackley K, Beeson C, Rahn J, Chan S. Bioenergetic profiling of zebrafish embryonic development. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25652 pubmed publisher..The multiwell format of this assay enables the user to screen for the effects of drugs and environmental agents on bioenergetics in the zebrafish embryo with high sensitivity and reproducibility. ..
- Tuz K, Bachmann Gagescu R, O Day D, Hua K, Isabella C, Phelps I, et al. Mutations in CSPP1 cause primary cilia abnormalities and Joubert syndrome with or without Jeune asphyxiating thoracic dystrophy. Am J Hum Genet. 2014;94:62-72 pubmed publisher..In summary, CSPP1 mutations are a major cause of the Joubert-Jeune phenotype in humans; however, the mechanism by which these mutations lead to both JBTS and JATD remains unknown. ..
- Nishioka T, Arima N, Kano K, Hama K, Itai E, Yukiura H, et al. ATX-LPA1 axis contributes to proliferation of chondrocytes by regulating fibronectin assembly leading to proper cartilage formation. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23433 pubmed publisher..Thus, the ATX-LPA1 axis is a key regulator of cartilage formation. ..
- Mercer E, Lin Y, Cohen Gould L, Evans T. Hspb7 is a cardioprotective chaperone facilitating sarcomeric proteostasis. Dev Biol. 2018;435:41-55 pubmed publisher..These studies highlight the importance of damage-processing networks in cardiomyocytes, and a previously unrecognized role in this context for Hspb7. ..
- Bingham S, Chaudhari S, Vanderlaan G, Itoh M, Chitnis A, Chandrasekhar A. Neurogenic phenotype of mind bomb mutants leads to severe patterning defects in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:451-63 pubmed
- Pantazis P, Maloney J, Wu D, Fraser S. Second harmonic generating (SHG) nanoprobes for in vivo imaging. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:14535-40 pubmed publisher..The resulting contrast and detectability of SHG nanoprobes provide unique advantages for molecular imaging of living cells and tissues...
- Sakai J, Halloran M. Semaphorin 3d guides laterality of retinal ganglion cell projections in zebrafish. Development. 2006;133:1035-44 pubmed..Our results indicate that a proper balance of Sema3d is needed at the midline for the progression of RGC axons from the chiasm midline into the contralateral optic tract. ..
- Mathew L, Sengupta S, Kawakami A, Andreasen E, LOHR C, Loynes C, et al. Unraveling tissue regeneration pathways using chemical genetics. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:35202-10 pubmed..These studies also demonstrate the feasibility of exploiting chemical genetics to define the pathways that govern vertebrate regeneration. ..
- Ignatius M, Moose H, El Hodiri H, Henion P. colgate/hdac1 Repression of foxd3 expression is required to permit mitfa-dependent melanogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;313:568-83 pubmed
- Pierce L, Noche R, Ponomareva O, Chang C, Liang J. Novel functions for Period 3 and Exo-rhodopsin in rhythmic transcription and melatonin biosynthesis within the zebrafish pineal organ. Brain Res. 2008;1223:11-24 pubmed publisher..This work identifies novel roles for Exorh and Per3, and gives insight into potential interactions between the sensory and circadian systems within the pineal...
- Wang Q, Steyger P. Trafficking of systemic fluorescent gentamicin into the cochlea and hair cells. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2009;10:205-19 pubmed publisher..Trans-strial trafficking of aminoglycosides from strial capillaries to marginal cells will be dependent on as-yet-unidentified mechanisms that convey these drugs across the intra-strial electrical barrier and into marginal cells...
- Pietri T, Manalo E, Ryan J, Saint Amant L, Washbourne P. Glutamate drives the touch response through a rostral loop in the spinal cord of zebrafish embryos. Dev Neurobiol. 2009;69:780-95 pubmed publisher..This helps define an elementary circuit that is modified by the addition of sensory inputs, resulting in behavioral transformation. ..
- Bouvrette D, Sittaramane V, Heidel J, Chandrasekhar A, Bryda E. Knockdown of bicaudal C in zebrafish (Danio rerio) causes cystic kidneys: a nonmammalian model of polycystic kidney disease. Comp Med. 2010;60:96-106 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the function of Bicc1 in the kidney is evolutionarily conserved, thus supporting the use of zebrafish as an alternative in vivo model to study the role of mammalian Bicc1 in renal cyst formation. ..
- Olesnicky E, Hernandez Lagunas L, Artinger K. prdm1a Regulates sox10 and islet1 in the development of neural crest and Rohon-Beard sensory neurons. Genesis. 2010;48:656-66 pubmed publisher..In addition, we identified a number of other novel downstream targets of Prdm1a that may be important for the development of diverse tissues during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Yoo S, Starnes T, Deng Q, Huttenlocher A. Lyn is a redox sensor that mediates leukocyte wound attraction in vivo. Nature. 2011;480:109-12 pubmed publisher..This is the first identification, to our knowledge, of a physiological redox sensor that mediates leukocyte wound attraction in multicellular organisms. ..
- Kapoor A, Sekar R, Hansen N, Fox Talbot K, Morley M, Pihur V, et al. An enhancer polymorphism at the cardiomyocyte intercalated disc protein NOS1AP locus is a major regulator of the QT interval. Am J Hum Genet. 2014;94:854-69 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that focused studies of proteins within the cardiomyocyte ID are likely to provide insights into QT prolongation and its associated disorders. ..
- Seixas C, Choi S, Polgar N, Umberger N, East M, Zuo X, et al. Arl13b and the exocyst interact synergistically in ciliogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:308-20 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that Arl13b and the exocyst function together in the same pathway leading to functional cilia. ..
- Noren D, Chou W, Lee S, Qutub A, Warmflash A, Wagner D, et al. Endothelial cells decode VEGF-mediated Ca2+ signaling patterns to produce distinct functional responses. Sci Signal. 2016;9:ra20 pubmed publisher..Ca(2+) signaling patterns associated with proliferation and migration were detected during angiogenesis in developing zebrafish. ..
- Dimri M, Bilogan C, Pierce L, Naegele G, Vasanji A, Gibson I, et al. Three-dimensional structural analysis reveals a Cdk5-mediated kinase cascade regulating hepatic biliary network branching in zebrafish. Development. 2017;144:2595-2605 pubmed publisher..A small-molecule compound that interferes with the downstream kinase cascade rescued the mutant phenotype. These results provide new insights into branching morphogenesis of the intrahepatic biliary network. ..
- Beattie C. Control of motor axon guidance in the zebrafish embryo. Brain Res Bull. 2000;53:489-500 pubmed..Knowledge gained from this body of work not only relates to zebrafish, but to vertebrate axon guidance in general. ..
- Parichy D, Turner J. Zebrafish puma mutant decouples pigment pattern and somatic metamorphosis. Dev Biol. 2003;256:242-57 pubmed..Taken together, these results provide new insights into zebrafish pigment pattern metamorphosis and the capacity for pattern regulation when normal patterning mechanisms go awry...
- Lyman Gingerich J, Westfall T, Slusarski D, Pelegri F. hecate, a zebrafish maternal effect gene, affects dorsal organizer induction and intracellular calcium transient frequency. Dev Biol. 2005;286:427-39 pubmed
- Owens K, Santos F, Roberts B, Linbo T, Coffin A, Knisely A, et al. Identification of genetic and chemical modulators of zebrafish mechanosensory hair cell death. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000020 pubmed publisher..The combination of chemical screening with traditional genetic approaches is a new strategy for identifying drugs and drug targets to attenuate hearing and balance disorders. ..
- Mathew L, Sengupta S, Ladu J, Andreasen E, Tanguay R. Crosstalk between AHR and Wnt signaling through R-Spondin1 impairs tissue regeneration in zebrafish. FASEB J. 2008;22:3087-96 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that inappropriate regulation of R-Spondin/LRP6 is absolutely required for TCDD to inhibit fin regeneration. ..
- Lu J, Maddison L, Chen W. PhiC31 integrase induces efficient site-specific excision in zebrafish. Transgenic Res. 2011;20:183-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, the phiC31 system can be used in zebrafish for genetic manipulations, expanding the repertoire of available tools for genetic manipulation in this vertebrate model. ..
- Trapani J, Nicolson T. Mechanism of spontaneous activity in afferent neurons of the zebrafish lateral-line organ. J Neurosci. 2011;31:1614-23 pubmed publisher..3 channels through active I(MET) and I(h). ..
- Andersen E, Asuri N, Halloran M. In vivo imaging of cell behaviors and F-actin reveals LIM-HD transcription factor regulation of peripheral versus central sensory axon development. Neural Dev. 2011;6:27 pubmed publisher..We identify specific motile cell behaviors affected by LIM-HD transcription factor activity and reveal how transcription factors differentially control the formation and growth of two axons from the same neuron. ..
- Kent M, Buchner C, Watral V, Sanders J, Ladu J, Peterson T, et al. Development and maintenance of a specific pathogen-free (SPF) zebrafish research facility for Pseudoloma neurophilia. Dis Aquat Organ. 2011;95:73-9 pubmed publisher..neurophilia. Thus, we have established 9 lines of zebrafish SPF for P. neurophilia. However, 26 fish exhibited mycobacteriosis, with acid-fast bacteria present in tissue sections, and 49 other fish had incidental lesions. ..
- Bonner J, Letko M, Nikolaus O, Krug L, Cooper A, Chadwick B, et al. Midline crossing is not required for subsequent pathfinding decisions in commissural neurons. Neural Dev. 2012;7:18 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that midline crossing is not required for subsequent guidance decisions by pioneer axons and that this is due, in part, to DCC inhibition of Robo2 function prior to midline crossing. ..
- Einhorn Z, Trapani J, Liu Q, Nicolson T. Rabconnectin3? promotes stable activity of the H+ pump on synaptic vesicles in hair cells. J Neurosci. 2012;32:11144-56 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data suggest that Rbc3? modulates synaptic transmission in hair cells by promoting V-ATPase activity in synaptic vesicles. ..
- Sedmera D, Reckova M, Dealmeida A, Sedmerova M, Biermann M, Volejnik J, et al. Functional and morphological evidence for a ventricular conduction system in zebrafish and Xenopus hearts. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2003;284:H1152-60 pubmed
- Lewis K, Bates J, Eisen J. Regulation of iro3 expression in the zebrafish spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:140-8 pubmed..We discuss our findings in the context of previous studies, suggesting that iro3 represses formation of motoneurons and promotes formation of interneurons. ..
- Waxman J. Regulation of the early expression patterns of the zebrafish Dishevelled-interacting proteins Dapper1 and Dapper2. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:194-200 pubmed..Their expression from 30% epiboly through shield is maintained by Nodal signaling and likely refined by the mutually antagonistic effects of Boz and bone morphogenetic protein signaling. ..
- Trinh L, McCutchen M, Bonner Fraser M, Fraser S, Bumm L, McCauley D. Fluorescent in situ hybridization employing the conventional NBT/BCIP chromogenic stain. Biotechniques. 2007;42:756-9 pubmed..The solid reaction product has significant fluorescence that enables the use of confocal microscopy to generate high-resolution three-dimensional (3-D) imaging of gene expression. ..
- Yabe T, Ge X, Pelegri F. The zebrafish maternal-effect gene cellular atoll encodes the centriolar component sas-6 and defects in its paternal function promote whole genome duplication. Dev Biol. 2007;312:44-60 pubmed
- Szabady R, Lokuta M, Walters K, Huttenlocher A, Welch R. Modulation of neutrophil function by a secreted mucinase of Escherichia coli O157:H7. PLoS Pathog. 2009;5:e1000320 pubmed publisher..StcE may contribute to inflammation and tissue destruction by mediating inappropriate neutrophil adhesion and activation. ..
- Rodriguez Mari A, Postlethwait J. The role of Fanconi anemia/BRCA genes in zebrafish sex determination. Methods Cell Biol. 2011;105:461-90 pubmed publisher..Embryonic DNA repair and sex reversal phenotypes provide assays for the screening of small molecule libraries for therapeutic substances for FA. ..
- Wages P, Horwitz J, Ding L, Corbin R, Posner M. Changes in zebrafish (Danio rerio) lens crystallin content during development. Mol Vis. 2013;19:408-17 pubmed..Similarities with mammalian crystallin expression continue to support the use of the zebrafish as a model for lens crystallin function. ..
- Kim K, Zaikova T, Hutchison J, Tanguay R. Gold nanoparticles disrupt zebrafish eye development and pigmentation. Toxicol Sci. 2013;133:275-88 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results demonstrated that TMAT-AuNPs disrupt the progression of eye development and pigmentation that continues to behavioral and neuronal damage in the developing zebrafish. ..
- Baker T, Peterson R, Heideman W. Early dioxin exposure causes toxic effects in adult zebrafish. Toxicol Sci. 2013;135:241-50 pubmed publisher..Our results show that exposures that produce little if any impact during development can cause severe consequences during adulthood and present a model for studying this process. ..
- Bonventre J, Kung T, White L, Cooper K. Manipulation of the HIF-Vegf pathway rescues methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE)-induced vascular lesions. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2013;273:623-34 pubmed publisher..The selective toxicity of MTBE toward developing vasculature makes it a potentially useful chemical in the designing of new drugs or in elucidating roles for specific angiogenic proteins in future studies of vascular development. ..
- Korenbrot J, Mehta M, Tserentsoodol N, Postlethwait J, Rebrik T. EML1 (CNG-modulin) controls light sensitivity in darkness and under continuous illumination in zebrafish retinal cone photoreceptors. J Neurosci. 2013;33:17763-76 pubmed publisher..We characterize light sensitivity recovery in continuously illuminated wild-type zebrafish cones and demonstrate that sensitivity recovery does not occur in the absence of EML1. ..
- Li L, Sahi S, Peng M, Lee E, Ma L, Wojtowicz J, et al. Luminescence- and nanoparticle-mediated increase of light absorption by photoreceptor cells: Converting UV light to visible light. Sci Rep. 2016;6:20821 pubmed publisher..The data provide proof-of-concept for the future development of optic devices for improvement of visual system functions in patients who suffer from photoreceptor cell degeneration or related retinal diseases. ..