Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish in Norway
- Rentzsch F, Anton R, Saina M, Hammerschmidt M, Holstein T, Technau U. Asymmetric expression of the BMP antagonists chordin and gremlin in the sea anemone Nematostella vectensis: implications for the evolution of axial patterning. Dev Biol. 2006;296:375-87 pubmed
- Alestrom P, Holter J, Nourizadeh Lillabadi R. Zebrafish in functional genomics and aquatic biomedicine. Trends Biotechnol. 2006;24:15-21 pubmed..As detailed in this review, the zebrafish is a versatile and well-characterized model with applications in many fields of study. ..
- Wargelius A, Seo H, Austbø L, Fjose A. Retinal expression of zebrafish six3.1 and its regulation by Pax6. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;309:475-81 pubmed..Furthermore, an enhancement of six3.1 transcription by Pax6.1 was observed by co-injection experiments. These results provide evidence for a direct regulatory interaction between vertebrate Pax6 and Six3 genes in eye development. ..
- Krauss S, Johansen T, Korzh V, Fjose A. Expression of the zebrafish paired box gene pax[zf-b] during early neurogenesis. Development. 1991;113:1193-206 pubmed..The characteristic expression pattern of pax[zf-b] in the neural tube suggests an involvement of this gene in the regionalization of the midbrain as well as in the specification of neuronal cell fates at early embryonic stages. ..
- Nornes S, Mikkola I, Krauss S, Delghandi M, Perander M, Johansen T. Zebrafish Pax9 encodes two proteins with distinct C-terminal transactivating domains of different potency negatively regulated by adjacent N-terminal sequences. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:26914-23 pubmed
- Zhang Z, Balmer J, Lovlie A, Fromm S, Blomhoff R. Specific teratogenic effects of different retinoic acid isomers and analogs in the developing anterior central nervous system of zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 1996;206:73-86 pubmed..These results suggest that 9-cis RA is a more active teratogen than all-trans RA in rostral CNS structures of the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Olsen L, Aasland R, Fjose A. A vasa-like gene in zebrafish identifies putative primordial germ cells. Mech Dev. 1997;66:95-105 pubmed..Putative maternal vlg transcripts were detected shortly after fertilization and from the blastula stage onwards, expression was restricted to migratory cells most likely to be primordial germ cells. ..
- Seo H, Drivenes O, Fjose A. A zebrafish Six4 homologue with early expression in head mesoderm. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1442:427-31 pubmed..Transcripts were detected in a wide range of embryonic stages and in adults. Notably, the strongest expression was observed in head mesoderm of late gastrula and early neurula stages. ..
- Krøvel A, Olsen L. Sexual dimorphic expression pattern of a splice variant of zebrafish vasa during gonadal development. Dev Biol. 2004;271:190-7 pubmed..Our data further suggest that there is a switch from maternal to zygotic expression of the long splice variant of vas as sexual dimorphic development commences. ..
- Seo H, Nilsen F, Fjose A. Three structurally and functionally conserved Hlx genes in zebrafish. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1489:323-35 pubmed..However, the initial expression patterns of the zebrafish hlx genes are quite unique, suggesting that some functional divergence has occurred between fish and mammals. ..
- Mikkola I, Bruun J, Bjorkoy G, Holm T, Johansen T. Phosphorylation of the transactivation domain of Pax6 by extracellular signal-regulated kinase and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:15115-26 pubmed..These findings provide a starting point for further studies aimed at elucidating a post-translational regulation of Pax6 following activation of MAPK signaling pathways. ..
- Hurem S, Martín L, Brede D, Skjerve E, Nourizadeh Lillabadi R, Lind O, et al. Dose-dependent effects of gamma radiation on the early zebrafish development and gene expression. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179259 pubmed publisher..The present findings show that continuous gamma irradiation (? 0.54 mGy/h) during early gastrula causes gene expression changes that are linked to developmental defects in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Amirthalingam K, Lorens J, Saetre B, Salaneck E, Fjose A. Embryonic expression and DNA-binding properties of zebrafish pax-6. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995;215:122-8 pubmed..The relative DNA-binding affinity of the zebrafish Pax-6 protein to different categories of Pax recognition sites is shared with the murine homologue. ..
- Sanden M, Jørgensen S, Hemre G, Ørnsrud R, Sissener N. Zebrafish (Danio rerio) as a model for investigating dietary toxic effects of deoxynivalenol contamination in aquaculture feeds. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50:4441-8 pubmed publisher..We do not know if effects observed on fecundity and larvae swimming activity are attributed to a direct interaction of DON with the reproductive organ or secondary to the maternal/paternal liver oxidative imbalance. ..
- Campos C, Valente L, Fernandes J. Molecular evolution of zebrafish dnmt3 genes and thermal plasticity of their expression during embryonic development. Gene. 2012;500:93-100 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that dnmt3 paralogues are diverging and that dnmt3a and dnmt3b may play different roles in thermal epigenetic regulation of gene expression during early development. ..
- Krøvel A, Olsen L. Expression of a vas::EGFP transgene in primordial germ cells of the zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2002;116:141-50 pubmed..We show that vas::EGFP transcripts become enriched to the cleavage planes in early embryos, a finding that supported an RNA localisation signal localised within the vas region of these transcripts. ..
- Krauss S, Korzh V, Fjose A, Johansen T. Expression of four zebrafish wnt-related genes during embryogenesis. Development. 1992;116:249-59 pubmed..By analogy to wnt-1, it is likely that the members of the zebrafish wnt gene family play an important role in cell-to-cell signalling during pattern formation in the neural tube and the tail bud. ..
- Lyche J, Nourizadeh Lillabadi R, Almaas C, Stavik B, Berg V, Skåre J, et al. Natural mixtures of persistent organic pollutants (POP) increase weight gain, advance puberty, and induce changes in gene expression associated with steroid hormones and obesity in female zebrafish. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2010;73:1032-57 pubmed publisher..The effects observed in the experimental zebrafish model raise the question whether chemical pollution represents a risk to reproductive health of wild fish inhabitating the freshwater system. ..
- von Krogh K, Sørensen C, Nilsson G, Øverli Ø. Forebrain cell proliferation, behavior, and physiology of zebrafish, Danio rerio, kept in enriched or barren environments. Physiol Behav. 2010;101:32-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the results support the idea that mild short-term stressors and concomitant small increases in corticosteroid exposure stimulate brain cell proliferation. ..
- Suh C, Ellingsen S, Austbø L, Zhao X, Seo H, Fjose A. Autoregulatory binding sites in the zebrafish six3a promoter region define a new recognition sequence for Six3 proteins. FEBS J. 2010;277:1761-75 pubmed publisher..These findings provide strong evidence that the TAATGTC motif is an important target sequence for vertebrate Six3 proteins in vivo. ..
- Angotzi A, Ersland K, Mungpakdee S, Stefansson S, Chourrout D. Independent and dynamic reallocation of pitx gene expression during vertebrate evolution, with emphasis on fish pituitary development. Gene. 2008;417:19-26 pubmed publisher..Moreover, ISH analysis of the pitx salmon repertoire shows rapid evolution in this lineage, differences in spatio-temporal expression are observed between gene duplicates. ..
- Zhao X, Suh C, Prat C, Ellingsen S, Fjose A. Distinct expression of two foxg1 paralogues in zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:266-72 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that foxg1b and foxg1c have undergone expression pattern divergence during evolution that has resulted in functional specialization. ..