Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish in Germany
Publications271 found, 100 shown here
- Warga R, Nusslein Volhard C. Origin and development of the zebrafish endoderm. Development. 1999;126:827-38 pubmed..This suggests that a common pathway initially specifies germ layers together before a progressive sequence of determinative events segregate endoderm and mesoderm into morphologically distinct germ layers. ..
- Lele Z, Folchert A, Concha M, Rauch G, Geisler R, Rosa F, et al. parachute/n-cadherin is required for morphogenesis and maintained integrity of the zebrafish neural tube. Development. 2002;129:3281-94 pubmed..Our results thus highlight novel and crucial in vivo roles for Ncad in the control of cell convergence, maintenance of neuronal positioning and dorsal cell proliferation during vertebrate neural tube development. ..
- Schaffeld M, Schultess J. Genes coding for intermediate filament proteins closely related to the hagfish "thread keratins (TK)" alpha and gamma also exist in lamprey, teleosts and amphibians. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:1447-62 pubmed
- Schild Prufert K, Giegerich M, Schafer M, Winkler C, Krohne G. Structural and functional characterization of the zebrafish lamin B receptor. Eur J Cell Biol. 2006;85:813-24 pubmed..Our data indicate that the LBR of zebrafish and mammals are both required for correct development. ..
- Distel M, Wullimann M, Köster R. Optimized Gal4 genetics for permanent gene expression mapping in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:13365-70 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate prolonged and maintained expression by Kalooping, a technique that can be used for permanent spatiotemporal genetic fate mapping and targeted transgene expression in zebrafish. ..
- Dermietzel R, Kremer M, Paputsoglu G, Stang A, Skerrett I, Gomes D, et al. Molecular and functional diversity of neural connexins in the retina. J Neurosci. 2000;20:8331-43 pubmed..Moreover, although zfCx44.1 channels showed unitary conductance as high as any previously reported for junctional channels (nearly 300 pS), zfCx55. 5 and zfCx27.5 exhibited much lower unitary conductances (<60 pS). ..
- Hofemeister H, Kuhn C, Franke W, Weber K, Stick R. Conservation of the gene structure and membrane-targeting signals of germ cell-specific lamin LIII in amphibians and fish. Eur J Cell Biol. 2002;81:51-60 pubmed..In addition, we provide sequence information of the entire coding sequence of zebrafish lamin A, which allows comparison of all major lamins from representatives of the four classes of vertebrates. ..
- Geling A, Steiner H, Willem M, Bally Cuif L, Haass C. A gamma-secretase inhibitor blocks Notch signaling in vivo and causes a severe neurogenic phenotype in zebrafish. EMBO Rep. 2002;3:688-94 pubmed
- Momoi A, Yoda H, Steinbeisser H, Fagotto F, Kondoh H, Kudo A, et al. Analysis of Wnt8 for neural posteriorizing factor by identifying Frizzled 8c and Frizzled 9 as functional receptors for Wnt8. Mech Dev. 2003;120:477-89 pubmed..We thus conclude that other factors from non-axial mesoderm may be required for patterning neuroectoderm along the A-P axis. ..
- Ziegler I. The pteridine pathway in zebrafish: regulation and specification during the determination of neural crest cell-fate. Pigment Cell Res. 2003;16:172-82 pubmed
- Gruber J, Manninga H, Tuschl T, Osborn M, Weber K. Specific RNAi mediated gene knockdown in zebrafish cell lines. RNA Biol. 2005;2:101-5 pubmed..The results indicate unspecific responses to siRNAs in the embryo but a fully developed and active RNAi machinery in cell lines. ..
- Selz Y, Braasch I, Hoffmann C, Schmidt C, Schultheis C, Schartl M, et al. Evolution of melanocortin receptors in teleost fish: the melanocortin type 1 receptor. Gene. 2007;401:114-22 pubmed publisher..Protein sequence comparison between fish and mammalian Mc1r revealed a remarkable concordance between evolutionary and functional analyses for the identification of residues and regions critical for receptor function...
- Volkmann K, Rieger S, Babaryka A, Köster R. The zebrafish cerebellar rhombic lip is spatially patterned in producing granule cell populations of different functional compartments. Dev Biol. 2008;313:167-80 pubmed..Thus, our findings offer an explanation for how specific functional cerebellar circuitries are laid down by spatio-temporal patterning of cerebellar germinal zones during early brain development. ..
- Zhang J, Qiu L, Kotzsch A, Weidauer S, Patterson L, Hammerschmidt M, et al. Crystal structure analysis reveals how the Chordin family member crossveinless 2 blocks BMP-2 receptor binding. Dev Cell. 2008;14:739-50 pubmed publisher..In vivo experiments reveal that the BMP-enhancing (pro-BMP) activity of CV-2 is independent of BMP-2 binding by VWC1, showing that pro- and anti-BMP activities are structurally separated in CV-2. ..
- Slanchev K, Stebler J, Goudarzi M, Cojocaru V, Weidinger G, Raz E. Control of Dead end localization and activity--implications for the function of the protein in antagonizing miRNA function. Mech Dev. 2009;126:270-7 pubmed publisher..Based on molecular modeling, we identify the putative RNA binding domain of Dnd as a canonical RRM and propose that this domain is important for protein subcellular localization and function. ..
- Borgal L, Habbig S, Hatzold J, Liebau M, Dafinger C, Sacarea I, et al. The ciliary protein nephrocystin-4 translocates the canonical Wnt regulator Jade-1 to the nucleus to negatively regulate ?-catenin signaling. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:25370-80 pubmed publisher..Loss of this repressor function in nephronophthisis might be an important factor promoting Wnt activation and contributing to cyst formation. ..
- Shen H, Illges H, Reuter A, Stuermer C. Cloning, expression, and alternative splicing of neogenin1 in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2002;118:219-23 pubmed..Alternative splicing generates several isoforms of zneo1. Most of them are developmentally regulated, showing distinct distribution in brain and other tissues. ..
- Holzschuh J, Barrallo Gimeno A, Ettl A, Durr K, Knapik E, Driever W. Noradrenergic neurons in the zebrafish hindbrain are induced by retinoic acid and require tfap2a for expression of the neurotransmitter phenotype. Development. 2003;130:5741-54 pubmed..Thus, although the inductive signals may be distinct, hindbrain NA neurons of the locus coeruleus and the posterior groups both require Tfap2a to establish their noradrenergic identity. ..
- Lieberoth B, Becker C, Becker T. Double labeling of neurons by retrograde axonal tracing and non-radioactive in situ hybridization in the CNS of adult zebrafish. Methods Cell Sci. 2003;25:65-70 pubmed..This method can be used to identify gene expression in specific populations of projection neurons and to detect changes in gene expression in axotomized neurons in the CNS of adult zebrafish. ..
- Biehlmaier O, Lampert J, von Lintig J, Kohler K. Photoreceptor morphology is severely affected in the beta,beta-carotene-15,15'-oxygenase (bcox) zebrafish morphant. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;21:59-68 pubmed
- Becker T, Lieberoth B, Becker C, Schachner M. Differences in the regenerative response of neuronal cell populations and indications for plasticity in intraspinal neurons after spinal cord transection in adult zebrafish. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005;30:265-78 pubmed..We propose that locomotor recovery in spinal-transected adult zebrafish is influenced less by recovery of ascending pathways, but more by regrowth of descending tracts and rearrangement of intraspinal circuitry. ..
- Schweitzer J, Becker T, Schachner M, Nave K, Werner H. Evolution of myelin proteolipid proteins: gene duplication in teleosts and expression pattern divergence. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2006;31:161-77 pubmed..Comparing protein sequences and gene structures from birds, teleosts, one urochordate species, and four invertebrates, we have reconstructed major steps in the evolution of proteolipids. ..
- Keller P, Schmidt A, Wittbrodt J, Stelzer E. Reconstruction of zebrafish early embryonic development by scanned light sheet microscopy. Science. 2008;322:1065-9 pubmed publisher..We further derive a model of germ layer formation and show that the mesendoderm forms from one-third of the embryo's cells in a single event. Our digital embryos, with 55 million nucleus entries, are provided as a resource. ..
- Diesner M, Welle A, Kazanci M, Kaiser P, Spatz J, Koelsch P. In vitro observation of dynamic ordering processes in the extracellular matrix of living, adherent cells. Biointerphases. 2011;6:171-9 pubmed publisher..The ability to follow the first steps of cell-substrate interactions in spite of the low amount of material present at this interface is expected to prove useful for the assessment of biomedical and environmental interfaces. ..
- Filippi A, Jainok C, Driever W. Analysis of transcriptional codes for zebrafish dopaminergic neurons reveals essential functions of Arx and Isl1 in prethalamic dopaminergic neuron development. Dev Biol. 2012;369:133-49 pubmed publisher..We further show that Arx contributes to patterning in the prethalamic region, while Isl1 is required for differentiation of prethalamic dopaminergic neurons. ..
- Irion U, Singh A, NÃ¼sslein Volhard C. The Developmental Genetics of Vertebrate Color Pattern Formation: Lessons from Zebrafish. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2016;117:141-69 pubmed publisher..We propose that variations in the patterns among Danio species are caused by allelic differences in the genes responsible for these interactions. ..
- Borgel J, Tyl M, Schiller K, Pusztai Z, Dooley C, Deng W, et al. KDM2A integrates DNA and histone modification signals through a CXXC/PHD module and direct interaction with HP1. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:1114-1129 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a complex regulation of chromatin binding for both KDM2A and HP1 that is modulated by DNA- and H3K9-methylation, and suggest a direct role for KDM2A in chromatin silencing. ..
- Neuhauss S, Biehlmaier O, Seeliger M, Das T, Kohler K, Harris W, et al. Genetic disorders of vision revealed by a behavioral screen of 400 essential loci in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 1999;19:8603-15 pubmed..The mutations uncovered by our behavioral assays provide distinct entry points for the study of visual pathways and set the stage for a genetic dissection of vertebrate vision. ..
- Biehlmaier O, Neuhauss S, Kohler K. Synaptic plasticity and functionality at the cone terminal of the developing zebrafish retina. J Neurobiol. 2003;56:222-36 pubmed..However, the mere number of spinules and ribbons at 7dpf still remains below the adult values, indicating that synaptic functionality of the zebrafish retina is not entirely completed at this stage of development. ..
- Kohn M, Kehrer Sawatzki H, Vogel W, Graves J, Hameister H. Wide genome comparisons reveal the origins of the human X chromosome. Trends Genet. 2004;20:598-603 pubmed..This enables surprising new insights into the origins of the mammalian X chromosome. ..
- Schiffer N, Broadley S, Hirschberger T, Tavan P, Kretzschmar H, Giese A, et al. Identification of anti-prion compounds as efficient inhibitors of polyglutamine protein aggregation in a zebrafish model. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:9195-203 pubmed
- Prochnow N, Hoffmann S, Vroman R, Klooster J, Bunse S, Kamermans M, et al. Pannexin1 in the outer retina of the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Neuroscience. 2009;162:1039-54 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings indicate that zfPanx1 displays properties similar to its mammalian homologues and can potentially play an important role in functions of the outer retina. ..
- Kienle C, Köhler H, Gerhardt A. Behavioural and developmental toxicity of chlorpyrifos and nickel chloride to zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos and larvae. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2009;72:1740-7 pubmed publisher..Compared to developmental or survival parameters, behaviour was the most sensitive endpoint for CHP exposure in this study; therefore we recommend this parameter to complement already established endpoints. ..
- Yang L, Ho N, Muller F, Strahle U. Methyl mercury suppresses the formation of the tail primordium in developing zebrafish embryos. Toxicol Sci. 2010;115:379-90 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that MeHg impairs tail development at least partially by activation of the tissue remodeling proteases Mmp9 and Mmp13. ..
- Clemen C, Tangavelou K, Strucksberg K, Just S, Gaertner L, Regus Leidig H, et al. Strumpellin is a novel valosin-containing protein binding partner linking hereditary spastic paraplegia to protein aggregation diseases. Brain. 2010;133:2920-41 pubmed publisher..Beyond hereditary spastic paraplegia, our findings imply that mutant forms of strumpellin and valosin-containing protein may have a concerted pathogenic role in various protein aggregate diseases. ..
- Kress S, Wullimann M. Correlated basal expression of immediate early gene egr1 and tyrosine hydroxylase in zebrafish brain and downregulation in olfactory bulb after transitory olfactory deprivation. J Chem Neuroanat. 2012;46:51-66 pubmed publisher..This indicates that similar processes might be at work in zebrafish and rodent olfactory systems, but their more specific involvement in imprinting in zebrafish has to be further tested. ..
- Ernst S, Liu K, Agarwala S, Moratscheck N, Avci M, Dalle Nogare D, et al. Shroom3 is required downstream of FGF signalling to mediate proneuromast assembly in zebrafish. Development. 2012;139:4571-81 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we uncovered the first mechanistic link between patterning and morphogenesis during LL sensory organ formation. ..
- Shahid M, Takamiya M, Stegmaier J, Middel V, Gradl M, Klüver N, et al. Zebrafish biosensor for toxicant induced muscle hyperactivity. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23768 pubmed publisher..TgBAC(hspb11:GFP) zebrafish embryos provide a quantitative measure of muscle hyperactivity and represent a robust whole organism system for detecting chemicals that affect motor function. ..
- Leung T, Bischof J, Söll I, Niessing D, Zhang D, Ma J, et al. bozozok directly represses bmp2b transcription and mediates the earliest dorsoventral asymmetry of bmp2b expression in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:3639-49 pubmed..Thus, similar to Drosophila Dpp, asymmetry of Bmp expression in zebrafish is initiated at the transcriptional level, and the shape of the gradient and its function as a morphogen are later modulated by post-transcriptional mechanisms...
- Grupp L, Wolburg H, Mack A. Astroglial structures in the zebrafish brain. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:4277-87 pubmed publisher..Thus, astroglial cells in the zebrafish differ in many aspects from mammalian astrocytes. ..
- Domazet Loso T, Tautz D. A phylogenetically based transcriptome age index mirrors ontogenetic divergence patterns. Nature. 2010;468:815-8 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that an old transcriptome marks the phylotypic phase and that phylogenetic differences at other ontogenetic stages correlate with the expression of newly evolved genes. ..
- Kujawski S, Lin W, Kitte F, Börmel M, Fuchs S, Arulmozhivarman G, et al. Calcineurin regulates coordinated outgrowth of zebrafish regenerating fins. Dev Cell. 2014;28:573-87 pubmed publisher..This shift is associated with the promotion of retinoic acid signaling. Thus, we identified a calcineurin-mediated mechanism that operates as a molecular switch between position-associated isometric and allometric growth programs. ..
- Odenthal J, Nusslein Volhard C. fork head domain genes in zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol. 1998;208:245-58 pubmed..fkd6 is strongly expressed in neural crest cells from early stages on, whereas fkd2 and fkd7 are transcribed in individual neural crest cells in the pharyngula period. ..
- Takke C, Dornseifer P, v Weizsäcker E, Campos Ortega J. her4, a zebrafish homologue of the Drosophila neurogenic gene E(spl), is a target of NOTCH signalling. Development. 1999;126:1811-21 pubmed..These results suggest that her4 acts as a target of notch-mediated signals that regulate primary neurogenesis. ..
- Belting H, Hauptmann G, Meyer D, Abdelilah Seyfried S, Chitnis A, Eschbach C, et al. spiel ohne grenzen/pou2 is required during establishment of the zebrafish midbrain-hindbrain boundary organizer. Development. 2001;128:4165-76 pubmed..Thus, expression of pou2 does not depend on fgf8 and pax2.1. Our data suggest that pou2 is required for the establishment of the normal expression domains of wnt1 and pax2.1 in the MHB primordium...
- Elsalini O, Rohr K. Phenylthiourea disrupts thyroid function in developing zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol. 2003;212:593-8 pubmed..At doses of 0.003% PTurea, however, toxic side effects seem to be at a minimum, and the maternal contribution of the hormone might compensate for compromised thyroid function during the first days of development. ..
- Schoft V, Beauvais A, Lang C, Gajewski A, Prüfert K, Winkler C, et al. The lamina-associated polypeptide 2 (LAP2) isoforms beta, gamma and omega of zebrafish: developmental expression and behavior during the cell cycle. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:2505-17 pubmed
- Schlombs K, Wagner T, Scheel J. Site-1 protease is required for cartilage development in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:14024-9 pubmed..This indicates that the cartilage phenoptypes of goz are caused independently of the lipid defects. ..
- Geling A, Plessy C, Rastegar S, Strahle U, Bally Cuif L. Her5 acts as a prepattern factor that blocks neurogenin1 and coe2 expression upstream of Notch to inhibit neurogenesis at the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development. 2004;131:1993-2006 pubmed..Together our data demonstrate a role of Her5 as a prepattern factor in the spatial definition of proneural domains in the zebrafish neural plate, in a manner similar to its Drosophila homologue Hairy. ..
- Chu Y, Senghaas N, Köster R, Wurst W, Kühn R. Novel caspase-suicide proteins for tamoxifen-inducible apoptosis. Genesis. 2008;46:530-6 pubmed publisher..This novel tool for targeted cell ablation greatly facilitates the generation of disease models as well as developmental and regeneration studies in model organisms. ..
- Romaker D, Puetz M, Teschner S, Donauer J, Geyer M, Gerke P, et al. Increased expression of secreted frizzled-related protein 4 in polycystic kidneys. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20:48-56 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these observations suggest a potential role for SFRP4 in the pathogenesis of ADPKD...
- Beretta C, Brinkmann I, Carl M. All four zebrafish Wnt7 genes are expressed during early brain development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2011;11:277-84 pubmed publisher..The timely and spatially overlapping as well as complementary gene expression suggests diverse as well as redundant involvements during brain development. ..
- Kardash E, Bandemer J, Raz E. Imaging protein activity in live embryos using fluorescence resonance energy transfer biosensors. Nat Protoc. 2011;6:1835-46 pubmed publisher..Once an optimized biosensor is available, the complete procedure, including introduction of the probes into embryos, imaging and data analysis, requires 2-3 d. ..
- De Marco R, Groneberg A, Yeh C, Castillo Ram rez L, Ryu S. Optogenetic elevation of endogenous glucocorticoid level in larval zebrafish. Front Neural Circuits. 2013;7:82 pubmed publisher..Our study offers a powerful tool for the analysis of rapid (non-genomic) and delayed (genomic) GC effects on brain function and behavior, feedbacks within the stress axis and developmental programming by GCs...
- Wullimann M, Rink E. Detailed immunohistology of Pax6 protein and tyrosine hydroxylase in the early zebrafish brain suggests role of Pax6 gene in development of dopaminergic diencephalic neurons. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2001;131:173-91 pubmed
- Hauptmann G, Belting H, Wolke U, Lunde K, Söll I, Abdelilah Seyfried S, et al. spiel ohne grenzen/pou2 is required for zebrafish hindbrain segmentation. Development. 2002;129:1645-55 pubmed..We propose that spg/pou2 is an essential component of the regulatory cascade controlling hindbrain segmentation and acts before krx20 and val in the establishment of rhombomere precursor territories. ..
- Schorpp M, Leicht M, Nold E, Hammerschmidt M, Haas Assenbaum A, Wiest W, et al. A zebrafish orthologue (whnb) of the mouse nude gene is expressed in the epithelial compartment of the embryonic thymic rudiment. Mech Dev. 2002;118:179-85 pubmed..Our results provide the first specific marker for the epithelial compartment of the zebrafish thymus. ..
- Alvarez Y, Alonso M, Vendrell V, Zelarayan L, Chamero P, Theil T, et al. Requirements for FGF3 and FGF10 during inner ear formation. Development. 2003;130:6329-38 pubmed..We thus created double mutant mice for FGF3 and FGF10, which form severely reduced otic vesicles, suggesting redundant roles of these FGFs, acting in combination as neural signals for otic vesicle formation. ..
- Scholpp S, Brand M. Endocytosis controls spreading and effective signaling range of Fgf8 protein. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1834-41 pubmed
- Gnügge L, Meyer D, Driever W. Pancreas development in zebrafish. Methods Cell Biol. 2004;76:531-51 pubmed
- Schweitzer J, Becker C, Schachner M, Becker T. Expression of collapsin response mediator proteins in the nervous system of embryonic zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2005;5:809-16 pubmed..No expression of CRMP mRNAs was observed outside the nervous system. Thus, expression patterns of different CRMP family members correlate with neuronal differentiation and axonogenesis in embryonic zebrafish. ..
- Takamiya M, Campos Ortega J. Hedgehog signalling controls zebrafish neural keel morphogenesis via its level-dependent effects on neurogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:978-97 pubmed..Such differences seem to be created in part by regional effector signalling; the effects of high Hh-signalling on medial neurogenesis can be reversed in accordance to medial Tri/Stbm level, in a polarity independent manner. ..
- Kohn M, Högel J, Vogel W, Minich P, Kehrer Sawatzki H, Graves J, et al. Reconstruction of a 450-My-old ancestral vertebrate protokaryotype. Trends Genet. 2006;22:203-10 pubmed..Although the human karyotype is one of the most conserved in eutherians, it can no longer be considered highly conserved from a vertebrate-wide perspective. ..
- Rottbauer W, Wessels G, Dahme T, Just S, Trano N, Hassel D, et al. Cardiac myosin light chain-2: a novel essential component of thick-myofilament assembly and contractility of the heart. Circ Res. 2006;99:323-31 pubmed..Thus, our findings provide the first in vivo evidence that cardiac MLC-2 is required for thick-filament stabilization and contractility in the vertebrate heart. ..
- Leucht C, Stigloher C, Wizenmann A, Klafke R, Folchert A, Bally Cuif L. MicroRNA-9 directs late organizer activity of the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:641-8 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings highlight a previously unknown mechanism by which a single microRNA fine-tunes late MHB coherence via its co-regulation of patterning activities and neurogenesis...
- Weil M, Scholz S, Zimmer M, Sacher F, Duis K. Gene expression analysis in zebrafish embryos: a potential approach to predict effect concentrations in the fish early life stage test. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2009;28:1970-8 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study indicate that gene expression analysis in zebrafish embryos could principally be used to predict effect concentrations in the fish early life stage test. ..
- Pogoda H, Hammerschmidt M. How to make a teleost adenohypophysis: molecular pathways of pituitary development in zebrafish. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;312:2-13 pubmed publisher..In addition, zebrafish data will be discussed in comparison with current understanding of adenohypophysis development in mouse. ..
- Haller F, Moman E, Hartmann R, Adamski J, Mindnich R. Molecular framework of steroid/retinoid discrimination in 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 and photoreceptor-associated retinol dehydrogenase. J Mol Biol. 2010;399:255-67 pubmed publisher..This has implications for the validation of inhibitors of 17beta-HSD1 developed for cancer treatment. ..
- Baumgart E, Barbosa J, Bally Cuif L, Gotz M, Ninkovic J. Stab wound injury of the zebrafish telencephalon: a model for comparative analysis of reactive gliosis. Glia. 2012;60:343-57 pubmed publisher..Invasive injury in the adult zebrafish telencephalon may therefore provide a useful model to untangle the molecular mechanisms involved in these beneficial glial reactions...
- Kais B, Schneider K, Keiter S, Henn K, Ackermann C, Braunbeck T. DMSO modifies the permeability of the zebrafish (Danio rerio) chorion-implications for the fish embryo test (FET). Aquat Toxicol. 2013;140-141:229-38 pubmed publisher..01% (0.1 mL/L) as already indicated in the OECD difficult substances paper (OECD, 2000)...
- Tiedke J, Cubuk C, Burmester T. Environmental acidification triggers oxidative stress and enhances globin expression in zebrafish gills. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;441:624-9 pubmed publisher..These findings agree with the role of globins in oxidative energy metabolism, but may also hint at a specific function in antioxidative defense. ..
- Miyares R, Stein C, Renisch B, Anderson J, Hammerschmidt M, Farber S. Long-chain Acyl-CoA synthetase 4A regulates Smad activity and dorsoventral patterning in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Cell. 2013;27:635-47 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a critical role for Acsl4a in modulating Bmp-Smad activity and provide a potential avenue for LC-PUFAs to influence a variety of developmental processes. ..
- Schartl M, Walter R. Xiphophorus and Medaka Cancer Models. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2016;916:531-52 pubmed publisher..This chapter describes the tumor models in both species, which mainly focus on melanoma, and summarizes the main findings and future research directions. ..
- Sachdev S, Dietz U, Oshima Y, Lang M, Knapik E, Hiraki Y, et al. Sequence analysis of zebrafish chondromodulin-1 and expression profile in the notochord and chondrogenic regions during cartilage morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 2001;105:157-62 pubmed..At later developmental stages, chm1 expression was detected in areas surrounding the otic vesicles, in the developing craniofacial cartilage elements, and in the chondrogenic region of the pectoral fins. ..
- Gessler M, Knobeloch K, Helisch A, Amann K, Schumacher N, Rohde E, et al. Mouse gridlock: no aortic coarctation or deficiency, but fatal cardiac defects in Hey2 -/- mice. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1601-4 pubmed..These differences in phenotypes suggest that changes in expression or function of genes during evolution may lead to quite different pathological phenotypes, if impaired. ..
- Begemann G, Marx M, Mebus K, Meyer A, Bastmeyer M. Beyond the neckless phenotype: influence of reduced retinoic acid signaling on motor neuron development in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Biol. 2004;271:119-29 pubmed..In addition, blockage of RA-mediated signaling not only interferes with the differentiation of branchiomotor neurons and their axons in the hindbrain, but also affects the development of the posterior lateral line nerve...
- Ryu S, Mahler J, Acampora D, Holzschuh J, Erhardt S, Omodei D, et al. Orthopedia homeodomain protein is essential for diencephalic dopaminergic neuron development. Curr Biol. 2007;17:873-80 pubmed..Thus, Otp is one of the few known transcription factors that can determine aspects of the dopaminergic phenotype and the first known factor to control the development of the diencephalospinal dopaminergic system. ..
- Mariappan D, Niemann R, Gajewski M, Winkler J, Chen S, Choorapoikayil S, et al. Somitovasculin, a novel endothelial-specific transcript involved in the vasculature development. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:1823-9 pubmed publisher..The combination of expression profiling in differentiating mES cells and the zebrafish model has the potential for rapid identification and functional characterization of TUFs. ..
- Dettmer U, Kuhn P, Abou Ajram C, Lichtenthaler S, Kruger M, Kremmer E, et al. Transmembrane protein 147 (TMEM147) is a novel component of the Nicalin-NOMO protein complex. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:26174-81 pubmed publisher..We conclude that TMEM147 is a novel core component of the Nicalin-NOMO complex, further emphasizing its similarity with gamma-secretase. ..
- Dean Ben X, Ma R, Razansky D, Ntziachristos V. Statistical approach for optoacoustic image reconstruction in the presence of strong acoustic heterogeneities. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2011;30:401-8 pubmed publisher..This performance is directly related to in vivo small animal imaging applications involving imaging in the presence of bones, lungs, and other highly mismatched organs. ..
- Gierten J, Hassel D, Schweizer P, Becker R, Katus H, Thomas D. Identification and functional characterization of zebrafish K(2P)10.1 (TREK2) two-pore-domain K(+) channels. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1818:33-41 pubmed publisher..1 two-pore-domain K(+) channels that exhibit structural and functional properties largely similar to human K(2P)10.1. We conclude that the zebrafish represents a valid model to study K(2P)10.1 function in vivo. ..
- Tokarz J, Mindnich R, Norton W, M ller G, Hrab de Angelis M, Adamski J. Discovery of a novel enzyme mediating glucocorticoid catabolism in fish: 20beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012;349:202-13 pubmed publisher..In contrast to other enzymes metabolizing C21-steroids and being mostly involved in reproduction we propose that novel type 2 20beta-HSDs in teleost fish are important enzymes in cortisol catabolism...
- Gabriel J, Trivedi C, Maurer C, Ryu S, Bollmann J. Layer-specific targeting of direction-selective neurons in the zebrafish optic tectum. Neuron. 2012;76:1147-60 pubmed publisher..Hence, different directions are represented in different layers, which suggests a simple mechanism for how tectal neurons acquire directional tuning in a nascent circuit. ..
- Figueroa R, Carrasco Avino G, Wichmann I, Lange M, Owen G, Siekmann A, et al. Reprimo tissue-specific expression pattern is conserved between zebrafish and human. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178274 pubmed publisher..We propose the zebrafish as a powerful tool to elucidate the both physiological and pathological roles of the RPRM gene family. ..
- Hogan B, Schulte Merker S. How to Plumb a Pisces: Understanding Vascular Development and Disease Using Zebrafish Embryos. Dev Cell. 2017;42:567-583 pubmed publisher..Here, we highlight key mechanisms controlling formation of the zebrafish vasculature and investigate how knowledge from this highly tractable model system has informed our understanding of vascular disease in humans. ..
- Boldajipour B, Doitsidou M, Tarbashevich K, Laguri C, Yu S, Ries J, et al. Cxcl12 evolution--subfunctionalization of a ligand through altered interaction with the chemokine receptor. Development. 2011;138:2909-14 pubmed publisher..Such specialization increases the complexity and flexibility of chemokine signaling in controlling concurrent developmental processes. ..
- Bischof J, Driever W. Regulation of hhex expression in the yolk syncytial layer, the potential Nieuwkoop center homolog in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2004;276:552-62 pubmed..In summary, zebrafish hhex appears to be activated by Wnt/beta-catenin in the dorsal YSL, where Boz acts in a permissive way to limit repression of hhex by Vega1 and Vega2. ..
- Schweitzer J, Gimnopoulos D, Lieberoth B, Pogoda H, Feldner J, Ebert A, et al. Contactin1a expression is associated with oligodendrocyte differentiation and axonal regeneration in the central nervous system of zebrafish. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;35:194-207 pubmed..These complex regulation patterns suggest roles for Cntn1a in myelinating cells and neurons particularly in successful CNS regeneration. ..
- Fu X, Wang Y, Schetle N, Gao H, Pütz M, von Gersdorff G, et al. The subcellular localization of TRPP2 modulates its function. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;19:1342-51 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings support the hypothesis that TRPP2 assumes distinct subcellular localizations to exert tissue-specific functions. ..
- Braun D, Rao J, Mollet G, Schapiro D, Daugeron M, Tan W, et al. Mutations in KEOPS-complex genes cause nephrotic syndrome with primary microcephaly. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1529-1538 pubmed publisher..We thus identified four new monogenic causes of GAMOS, describe a link between KEOPS function and human disease, and delineate potential pathogenic mechanisms. ..
- Sonawane M, Martin Maischein H, Schwarz H, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C. Lgl2 and E-cadherin act antagonistically to regulate hemidesmosome formation during epidermal development in zebrafish. Development. 2009;136:1231-40 pubmed publisher..Thus, Lgl2 and E-cadherin act antagonistically to control the localisation of Itga6 during the formation of hemidesmosomes in the developing epidermis. ..