Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish in China
- Li G, Liu T, Nie J, Guo L, Chen J, Zhu J, et al. Segmentation of touching cell nuclei using gradient flow tracking. J Microsc. 2008;231:47-58 pubmed publisher..In particular, this method is able to segment closely juxtaposed or clustered cell nuclei, with high sensitivity and specificity in different situations. ..
- Lu X, Yu R, Murphy M, Lau K, Wu R. Hypoxia disrupts gene modulation along the brain-pituitary-gonad (BPG)-liver axis. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2014;102:70-8 pubmed publisher..Given that the regulation of reproductive hormones and the BPG-liver axis are highly conserved, this study provides new insights into the hypoxia-induced endocrine disrupting mechanisms and reproductive impairment in other vertebrates...
- Wang X, Tang Z, Yu D, Cui S, Jiang Y, Zhang Q, et al. Epithelial but not stromal expression of collagen alpha-1(III) is a diagnostic and prognostic indicator of colorectal carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2016;7:8823-38 pubmed publisher..2%/91.1%. Silencing of COL3A1 suppressed CRC cell proliferation in in vitro MTT assay and in in vivo Zebra fish xenograft model by downregulation of PI3K/AKT and WNT signaling. COL3A1 was a novel diagnosis and prognosis marker of CRC. ..
- Ding L, Zang L, Zhang Y, Zhang Y, Wang X, Ai W, et al. Joint toxicity of fluoroquinolone and tetracycline antibiotics to zebrafish (Danio rerio) based on biochemical biomarkers and histopathological observation. J Toxicol Sci. 2017;42:267-280 pubmed publisher..Total sperm motility was decreased by ca. 30% due to DKA exposure. These results provide important information for toxicity and health risks due to mixed DKA exposure in aquatic environments. ..
- Lu A, Hu X, Xue J, Zhu J, Wang Y, Zhou G. Gene expression profiling in the skin of zebrafish infected with Citrobacter freundii. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2012;32:273-83 pubmed publisher..This is first report that skin play important roles in innate immune responses to bacterial infection, which contribute to understanding the defense mechanisms of the skin in fish. ..
- Wang X, Lu L, Li Y, Li M, Chen C, Feng Q, et al. Molecular and functional characterization of two distinct IGF binding protein-6 genes in zebrafish. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;296:R1348-57 pubmed publisher..These findings are consistent with the notion of an additional gene duplication event in teleost fish and have provided novel insight into the structural and functional evolution of the IGFBP gene family. ..
- Li C, Wang L, Zhang J, Huang M, Wong F, Liu X, et al. CERKL interacts with mitochondrial TRX2 and protects retinal cells from oxidative stress-induced apoptosis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1842:1121-9 pubmed publisher..Our results show that CERKL interacts with TRX2 and plays a novel key role in the regulation of the TRX2 antioxidant pathway and, for the first time, provides an explanation of how mutations in CERKL may lead to retinal cell death. ..
- Zhao X, Liu M, Wu N, Ding L, Liu H, Lin X. Recovery of recombinant zebrafish p53 protein from inclusion bodies and its binding activity to p53 mRNA in vitro. Protein Expr Purif. 2010;72:262-6 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrated a specific interaction between p53 and it own RNA in zebrafish. Measurement of the binding activity may be a useful approach for identifying the activity of recombinant p53 protein in vitro. ..
- Cai Y, Zhang C, Hao L, Chen J, Xie P, Chen Z. Systematic identification of seven ribosomal protein genes in bighead carp and their expression in response to microcystin-LR. J Toxicol Sci. 2016;41:293-302 pubmed publisher..This study will help us to know not only about the evolution and functions of ribosomal proteins in anti-MCLR response in bighead carp, but also about the MCLR toxicity and its impact on aquaculture and human health. ..
- Huang W, Liang Y, Wang J, Li G, Wang G, Li Y, et al. Anti-angiogenic activity and mechanism of kaurane diterpenoids from Wedelia chinensis. Phytomedicine. 2016;23:283-92 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that kaurane diterpenoids is one of anti-angiogenic components in W. chinensis, and CHKA may become a promising candidate for the development of anti-angiogenic agent. ..
- Wang L, Huang S, Zhao H, Liu C, Yao L, Shen Y. Activating transcription factor 3 promotes spinal cord regeneration of adult zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;488:522-527 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that ATF3 could promote locomotor recovery and axon regrowth in zebrafish SCI model possibly by regulating inflammatory response. ..
- Song Y, Wang M, Mao F, Shao M, Zhao B, Song Z, et al. Knockdown of Pnpla6 protein results in motor neuron defects in zebrafish. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:404-13 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate an important role of PNPLA6 in motor neuron development and implicate overexpression of BMP signaling as a possible mechanism underlying the developmental defects in pnpla6 morphants. ..
- Zhu L, Dong X, Xie H, Wang J, Wang J, Su J, et al. DNA damage and effects on glutathione-S-transferase activity induced by atrazine exposure in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Toxicol. 2011;26:480-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these findings provide further evidence of the effects of atrazine on aquatic ecosystems. ..
- Tu W, Xu C, Jin Y, Lu B, Lin C, Wu Y, et al. Permethrin is a potential thyroid-disrupting chemical: In vivo and in silico envidence. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:39-46 pubmed publisher..Both in vivo and in silico studies clearly disclosed that PM potentially disrupts the thyroid endocrine system in fish. This study provides a rapid and cost-effective approach for identifying THDCs and the underlying mechanisms. ..
- Zhang Z, Cheang L, Wang M, Li G, Chu I, Lin Z, et al. Ethanolic extract of fructus Alpinia oxyphylla protects against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced damage of PC12 cells in vitro and dopaminergic neurons in zebrafish. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2012;32:27-40 pubmed publisher..However, it is important that the active components that contribute to the neuroprotective action of AOE are identified and characterized. ..
- Chung M, Ma A, Fung T, Leung A. Characterization of Sry-related HMG box group F genes in zebrafish hematopoiesis. Exp Hematol. 2011;39:986-998.e5 pubmed publisher..sox32 affected both vascular and hematopoietic development through its effects on medial migration of the hematopoietic and endothelial progenitors. ..
- Zhao J, Sun H, Deng W, Li D, Liu Y, Lu Y, et al. Piwi-like 2 mediates fibroblast growth factor signaling during gastrulation of zebrafish embryo. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2010;222:63-8 pubmed..Thus, the functional consequences of piwil2 expression vary during early development of zebrafish embryo. Taken together, we suggest that zebrafish piwil2 is a mediator of Fgf signals in gastrula period. ..
- Yuan H, Zhou J, Deng M, Zhang Y, Chen Y, Jin Y, et al. Sumoylation of CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein α promotes the biased primitive hematopoiesis of zebrafish. Blood. 2011;117:7014-20 pubmed publisher..Our results therefore implicate sumoylation in early lineage determination and reveal the possible molecular mechanism underlying the puzzling biased primitive hematopoiesis in vertebrates. ..
- Huang S, Zhao H, Wang L, Sun M, Zhu Y, Wu Y, et al. Intradiencephalon injection of histamine inhibited the recovery of locomotor function of spinal cord injured zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;489:275-280 pubmed publisher..Hence, our data suggested that exogenous intradiencephalon HA retarded locomotor recovery in spinal cord injured zebrafish via modulating the repair microenvironment. ..
- Ge W. Intrafollicular paracrine communication in the zebrafish ovary: the state of the art of an emerging model for the study of vertebrate folliculogenesis. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2005;237:1-10 pubmed..This article provides the state of the art of zebrafish as a model for analyzing ovarian development and its regulation. ..
- Zhou X, Zhang T, Ren L, Wu J, Wang W, Liu J. Copper elevated embryonic hemoglobin through reactive oxygen species during zebrafish erythrogenesis. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:1-11 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we revealed that copper homeostasis was broken by its induced ROS and ROS helped with copper overloading in the body, which could be applied as a novel therapy target for copper-caused diseases. ..
- Hua J, Han J, Wang X, Guo Y, Zhou B. The binary mixtures of megestrol acetate and 17?-ethynylestradiol adversely affect zebrafish reproduction. Environ Pollut. 2016;213:776-784 pubmed publisher..This study has important implications for environmental risk assessment of synthetic hormones that are concurrently present in aquatic systems. ..
- Chen L, Zhu B, Guo Y, Xu T, Lee J, Qian P, et al. High-throughput transcriptome sequencing reveals the combined effects of key e-waste contaminants, decabromodiphenyl ether (BDE-209) and lead, in zebrafish larvae. Environ Pollut. 2016;214:324-333 pubmed publisher..Overall, the interaction between BDE-209 and Pb led to synergistic and antagonistic effects on gene transcriptions, with concerted contribution from their individual toxicological properties. ..
- Chen J, Tanguay R, Xiao Y, Haggard D, Ge X, Jia Y, et al. TBBPA exposure during a sensitive developmental window produces neurobehavioral changes in larval zebrafish. Environ Pollut. 2016;216:53-63 pubmed publisher..In summary, TBBPA exposure during a narrow, sensitive developmental window perturbs various molecular pathways and results in neurobehavioral deficits in zebrafish. ..
- Han Y, Qian J, Zhang J, Hu C, Wang C. Structure-toxicity relationship of cefoperazone and its impurities to developing zebrafish by transcriptome and Raman analysis. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;327:39-51 pubmed publisher..This study may provide bioinformatics and spectral information that may be used in further investigations on the relationship between structure and toxicity of drugs and impurities. ..
- Han J, Wang Q, Wang X, Li Y, Wen S, Liu S, et al. The synthetic progestin megestrol acetate adversely affects zebrafish reproduction. Aquat Toxicol. 2014;150:66-72 pubmed publisher..The present study showed that MTA is a potent endocrine disruptor in fish, and short-term exposure to MTA could significantly affect reproduction in fish and negatively impact the fish population. ..
- Li D, Lou Q, Zhai G, Peng X, Cheng X, Dai X, et al. Hyperplasia and cellularity changes in IGF-1-overexpressing skeletal muscle of crucian carp. Endocrinology. 2014;155:2199-212 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the sustained overexpression of IGF-1 in crucian carp skeletal muscle promotes myofiber hyperplasia and cellularity changes, which elicit alterations in the body energy metabolism and skeletal muscle growth. ..
- Webb S, Miller A. Ca2+ signaling and early embryonic patterning during the blastula and gastrula periods of zebrafish and Xenopus development. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1763:1192-208 pubmed..A. Westfall, B. Hjertos, D.C. Slusarski, Requirement for intracellular calcium modulation in zebrafish dorsal-ventral patterning, Dev. Biol. 259 (2003) 380-391])...
- Gu Q, Yang X, He X, Li Q, Cui Z. Generation and characterization of a transgenic zebrafish expressing the reverse tetracycline transactivator. J Genet Genomics. 2013;40:523-31 pubmed publisher..Thus, this rtTA-transgenic zebrafish can be utilized to dissect functions of genes in a temporal manner. ..
- Zhang Y, Ouyang Y, Hou Y, Schatten H, Chen D, Sun Q. Mitochondrial behavior during oogenesis in zebrafish: a confocal microscopy analysis. Dev Growth Differ. 2008;50:189-201 pubmed publisher..Mitochondria in different sublocations underwent fast dynamic movement. Inhibition or disruption of microtubules or microfilaments resulted in even faster mitochondrial free movement. ..
- Alex D, Leong E, Zhang Z, Yan G, Cheng S, Leong C, et al. Resveratrol derivative, trans-3,5,4'-trimethoxystilbene, exerts antiangiogenic and vascular-disrupting effects in zebrafish through the downregulation of VEGFR2 and cell-cycle modulation. J Cell Biochem. 2010;109:339-46 pubmed publisher..We propose that the antiangiogenic and vascular-targeting activities of trans-3,5,4'-trimethoxystilbene result from the downregulation of VEGFR2 expression and cell-cycle arrest at G2/M phase. ..
- Lam K, Alex D, Lam I, Tsui S, Yang Z, Lee S. Nobiletin, a polymethoxylated flavonoid from citrus, shows anti-angiogenic activity in a zebrafish in vivo model and HUVEC in vitro model. J Cell Biochem. 2011;112:3313-21 pubmed publisher..This study, for the first time, identifies nobiletin as having potent anti-angiogenic activity and suggests that nobiletin has a great potential for future research and development as a cytostatic anti-proliferative agent. ..
- Chen Y, Song P, Lu D, Zhou W, Gui J. [Study on the expression of zebrafish (Danio rerio) nanos1 during gametogenesis by in situ hybridization]. Yi Chuan. 2005;27:589-94 pubmed..The results suggested that nanos 1 may play an important role in maintenance and functioning of the germline stem cell-oogonia and spermatogonia...
- Zhang Y, Chen J, Cui X, Luo D, Xia H, Dai J, et al. A controllable on-off strategy for the reproductive containment of fish. Sci Rep. 2015;5:7614 pubmed publisher..This on-off strategy is a potentially effective means of generating sterile fish for commercialization while retaining fertility in brood stocks, and offers a novel method to mitigate the ecological risks of fish introductions. ..
- Yue C, Ji C, Zhang H, Zhang L, Tong J, Jiang Y, et al. Protective effects of folic acid on PM2.5-induced cardiac developmental toxicity in zebrafish embryos by targeting AhR and Wnt/?-catenin signal pathways. Environ Toxicol. 2017;32:2316-2322 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study suggested that FA supplementation protected against PM2.5 cardiac development toxicity by targeting AhR and Wnt/?-catenin signal pathways. ..
- Du T, Fu Y, Dong M, Wang L, Fan H, Chen Y, et al. Experimental validation and complexity of miRNA-mRNA target interaction during zebrafish primitive erythropoiesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;381:688-93 pubmed publisher..The results address the importance of using multiple approaches combined with Western blot analysis to validate the physiological target of a given miRNA...
- Zhang B, Yao Y, Zhang H, Kawakami K, Du J. Left Habenula Mediates Light-Preference Behavior in Zebrafish via an Asymmetrical Visual Pathway. Neuron. 2017;93:914-928.e4 pubmed publisher..Our findings discover a previously unidentified asymmetrical visual pathway to left Hb and its function in mediating light-preference behavior. VIDEO ABSTRACT. ..
- Wang Y, Zhang W, Wu Z, Lu C. Reduced virulence is an important characteristic of biofilm infection of Streptococcus suis. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2011;316:36-43 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this work offers a novel insight into bacterium infection mechanisms, which suggests that a virulent strain may be able to decrease its virulence by forming a biofilm so that it can achieve persistent infection in vivo...
- Dash S, Nogata Y, Zhou X, Zhang Y, Xu Y, Guo X, et al. Poly-ethers from Winogradskyella poriferorum: Antifouling potential, time-course study of production and natural abundance. Bioresour Technol. 2011;102:7532-7 pubmed publisher..The potent bioactivity of these poly-ethers together with their high natural abundance in bacteria makes them promising candidates as ingredients in antifouling applications. ..
- Webb S, Cheung C, Chan C, Love D, Miller A. Application of complementary luminescent and fluorescent imaging techniques to visualize nuclear and cytoplasmic Ca²⁺ signalling during the in vivo differentiation of slow muscle cells in zebrafish embryos under normal and dystrophic conditions. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2012;39:78-86 pubmed publisher
- Yang X, Chen G, Yu S, Xu C, Xin Y, Li T, et al. TGF-?1 enhances tumor-induced angiogenesis via JNK pathway and macrophage infiltration in an improved zebrafish embryo/xenograft glioma model. Int Immunopharmacol. 2013;15:191-8 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our zebrafish model provides a powerful in vivo tool for the investigation of tumor-induced angiogenesis, and a cost-effective system for high-throughput screening of anti-angiogenic compounds...
- Shi J, Zhang Y, Zhang J, Gui J. Expression regulation of zebrafish interferon regulatory factor 9 by promoter analysis. Dev Comp Immunol. 2013;41:534-43 pubmed publisher..These results together indicated that the expression property of IRF9 might be conserved from fish to mammals and that some not yet identified mechanisms could exist in IRF9 gene transcription regulation in response to IFNs. ..
- Huang X, Wang H, Meng L, Wang Q, Yu J, Gao Q, et al. Role of eosinophils and apoptosis in PDIMs/PGLs deficient mycobacterium elimination in adult zebrafish. Dev Comp Immunol. 2016;59:199-206 pubmed publisher..This study shows that the anti-apoptotic effects of PDIMs/PGLs and the recruitment of eosinophils in tissue during the early infection in zebrafish might promote bacterium growth in vivo. ..
- L A, Hu X, Wang Y, Shen X, Li X, Zhu A, et al. iTRAQ analysis of gill proteins from the zebrafish (Danio rerio) infected with Aeromonas hydrophila. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2014;36:229-39 pubmed publisher..This is first report on proteome of fish gills against A. hydrophila infection, which contribute to understanding the defense mechanisms of the gills in fish...
- Li X, Ma J, Fang Q, Li Y. Transcription alterations of microRNAs, cytochrome P4501A1 and 3A65, and AhR and PXR in the liver of zebrafish exposed to crude microcystins. Toxicon. 2013;73:17-22 pubmed publisher..This work might be beneficial for the discovery of new potential diagnostic biomarker and drug target for hepatosis caused by MC. ..
- Liu K, Xu Y, Wang Y, Wei S, Feng D, Huang Q, et al. Developmental expression and immune role of the class B scavenger receptor cd36 in zebrafish. Dev Comp Immunol. 2016;60:91-5 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that zebrafish Cd36 is a microbial-binding molecule. The study expands our knowledge of the function of scavenger receptor molecules in fish innate immune process. ..
- Lau B, Wong A, Tsao G, So K, Yip H. Molecular cloning and characterization of the zebrafish (Danio rerio) telomerase catalytic subunit (telomerase reverse transcriptase, TERT). J Mol Neurosci. 2008;34:63-75 pubmed..The expression of telomerase activity and TERT in retina implies that telomerase has functions other than the elongation of telomere. These findings could provide new insights on telomerase function in the nervous system. ..
- Cheng X, Chen X, Jin X, He J, Yin Z. Generation and characterization of gsu?:EGFP transgenic zebrafish for evaluating endocrine-disrupting effects. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2014;278:78-84 pubmed publisher..These reporter fish can serve as a novel platform to perform screenings of endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) in vivo as well. ..
- Wang F, Huang G, Tian H, Zhong Y, Shi H, Li Z, et al. Point mutations in KAL1 and the mitochondrial gene MT-tRNA(cys) synergize to produce Kallmann syndrome phenotype. Sci Rep. 2015;5:13050 pubmed publisher..Our work highlights a new mode of inheritance underlay the genetic etiology of KS and provide valuable clues to understand the disease development. ..