Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on vulva in United States
Locale: United States
- Green J, Inoue T, Sternberg P. The C. elegans ROR receptor tyrosine kinase, CAM-1, non-autonomously inhibits the Wnt pathway. Development. 2007;134:4053-62 pubmed..A sequestration model is supported by our findings that the CAM-1 ECD binds to several Wnts in vitro. These results demonstrate how ROR proteins help to refine the spatial pattern of Wnt activity in a complex multicellular environment...
- Hobson R, Hapiak V, Xiao H, Buehrer K, Komuniecki P, Komuniecki R. SER-7, a Caenorhabditis elegans 5-HT7-like receptor, is essential for the 5-HT stimulation of pharyngeal pumping and egg laying. Genetics. 2006;172:159-69 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that SER-7 is essential for the 5-HT stimulation of both egg laying and pharyngeal pumping, but that other signaling pathways can probably fulfill similar roles in vivo. ..
- Inoue T, Sherwood D, Aspöck G, Butler J, Gupta B, Kirouac M, et al. Gene expression markers for Caenorhabditis elegans vulval cells. Gene Expr Patterns. 2002;2:235-41 pubmed..Together, expressions of markers distinguish six cell types, and reveal a strict temporal control of gene expression in the developing vulva. ..
- Sherwood D, Butler J, Kramer J, Sternberg P. FOS-1 promotes basement-membrane removal during anchor-cell invasion in C. elegans. Cell. 2005;121:951-62 pubmed..These results reveal a key genetic network that controls basement-membrane removal during cell invasion. ..
- Margesson L. Vulvovaginal dryness and itching. Skin Therapy Lett. 2001;6:3-4 pubmed..Dermatologists should be able to sort out the causes of the itching and irritation, and understand the approaches to therapy...
- Mohler W, Shemer G, del Campo J, Valansi C, Opoku Serebuoh E, Scranton V, et al. The type I membrane protein EFF-1 is essential for developmental cell fusion. Dev Cell. 2002;2:355-62 pubmed..Thus, EFF-1 is a key component in the mechanism of cell fusion, a process essential to normal animal development. ..
- Johnson R, Liu L, Hanna Rose W, Chamberlin H. The Caenorhabditis elegans heterochronic gene lin-14 coordinates temporal progression and maturation in the egg-laying system. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:394-404 pubmed publisher..Together, these experiments outline a function for LIN-14 in coordinating the temporal progression of development, which is separable from its role in regulating stage-specific events during C. elegans postembryonic development. ..
- Rufforny I, Wilkinson E, Liu C, Zhu H, Buteral M, Massoll N. Human papillomavirus infection and p16(INK4a) protein expression in vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia and invasive squamous cell carcinoma. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2005;9:108-13 pubmed..Expression of p16(INK4a) may aid in the diagnosis of HPV-related lesions and as such may be of value as a surrogate marker in the diagnosis of vulvar premalignant and malignant lesions. ..
- Seney M, Goldman B, Forger N. Breeding status affects motoneuron number and muscle size in naked mole-rats: recruitment of perineal motoneurons?. J Neurobiol. 2006;66:1354-64 pubmed..We propose that small, relatively undifferentiated cells are recruited to the pool of large Onuf's nucleus motoneurons when subordinate naked mole-rats become breeders...
- Green J, Inoue T, Sternberg P. Opposing Wnt pathways orient cell polarity during organogenesis. Cell. 2008;134:646-56 pubmed publisher..Thus, tissue polarity is determined by the integration of multiple Wnt pathways...
- Rajakumar V, Chamberlin H. The Pax2/5/8 gene egl-38 coordinates organogenesis of the C. elegans egg-laying system. Dev Biol. 2007;301:240-53 pubmed..As the Pax2 gene performs similar roles in the development of the mammalian kidney, we show that coordinating organogenesis is a conserved function for Pax2/5/8 transcription factors...
- Roy S, Clayton J, Holmen J, Beltz E, Saito R. Control of Cdc14 activity coordinates cell cycle and development in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mech Dev. 2011;128:317-26 pubmed publisher..We propose that these mechanisms collaborate to restrict the activity of cdc-14 as central components of an evolutionarily conserved regulatory network to coordinate cell-cycle progression with development. ..
- Fernandes J, Sternberg P. The tailless ortholog nhr-67 regulates patterning of gene expression and morphogenesis in the C. elegans vulva. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e69 pubmed..We postulate that the differential levels and combinatorial patterns of lin-11, cog-1, and nhr-67 expression are a part of a regulatory code for the mature vulval cell types...
- Wang M, Sternberg P. Pattern formation during C. elegans vulval induction. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2001;51:189-220 pubmed..The temporal and spatial regulation of VPC competence and production of the inductive and the lateral signal are precisely coordinated to ensure the wild-type vulval pattern...
- Holway A, Rieger Christ K, Miner W, Cain J, Dugan J, Pezza J, et al. Somatic mutation of PTEN in vulvar cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2000;6:3228-35 pubmed..These results suggest that PTEN is frequently altered in vulvar carcinomas and can be found associated with early dysplastic changes in vulvar mucosa. ..
- Chang C, Hopper N, Sternberg P. Caenorhabditis elegans SOS-1 is necessary for multiple RAS-mediated developmental signals. EMBO J. 2000;19:3283-94 pubmed..This SOS-1-independent signaling is not inhibited by SLI-1/Cbl and is not mediated by PTP-2/SHP, raising the possibility that there could be another RasGEF...
- Felix M, Sternberg P. A gonad-derived survival signal for vulval precursor cells in two nematode species. Curr Biol. 1998;8:287-90 pubmed..Our results demonstrate the existence of intercellular cell-survival signals in nematodes and uncover an evolutionary variation in the role of the gonad in nematode vulval development. ..
- Huang L, Tzou P, Sternberg P. The lin-15 locus encodes two negative regulators of Caenorhabditis elegans vulval development. Mol Biol Cell. 1994;5:395-411 pubmed..We have identified a molecular null allele of lin-15 and have used it to analyze the role of lin-15 in the signaling pathway. We find that lin-15 acts upstream of let-23 and in parallel to the inductive signal. ..
- Jongeward G, Clandinin T, Sternberg P. sli-1, a negative regulator of let-23-mediated signaling in C. elegans. Genetics. 1995;139:1553-66 pubmed..Our analysis suggests that let-23 can activate distinct signaling pathways in different tissues: one pathway is required for vulval induction; another pathway is involved in hermaphrodite fertility and is not regulated by sli-1...
- Avila J, Nicol K, Hewitt G, Matson S. Vulvar Fibroepithelial Polyps in a Female Adolescent: A Case Report. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2017;30:595-597 pubmed publisher..The spectrum of the morphology of FEPs might make their diagnosis challenging. We describe a rare presentation of vulvar FEPs in an adolescent girl receiving hormonal contraceptive therapy. ..
- Bae Y, Barr M. Sensory roles of neuronal cilia: cilia development, morphogenesis, and function in C. elegans. Front Biosci. 2008;13:5959-74 pubmed..elegans identified the link between ciliary dysfunction and human ciliopathies. Future studies in the worm will address important basic questions regarding ciliary development, morphogenesis, specialization, and signaling functions. ..
- Pinkerton J, Bushmakin A, Komm B, Abraham L. Relationship between changes in vulvar-vaginal atrophy and changes in sexual functioning. Maturitas. 2017;100:57-63 pubmed publisher..Changes in clinical parameters had only small or trivial associations with sexual functioning. Trial registration number NCT00238732. ..
- Ririe T, Fernandes J, Sternberg P. The Caenorhabditis elegans vulva: a post-embryonic gene regulatory network controlling organogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:20095-9 pubmed publisher..These results provide an overview of the regulatory network architecture for each vulval cell type...
- Leclair C, Goetsch M, Korcheva V, Anderson R, Peters D, Morgan T. Differences in primary compared with secondary vestibulodynia by immunohistochemistry. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;117:1307-13 pubmed publisher..53 CI 1.71-17.91). Primary and secondary vestibulodynia have significantly different histologic features, suggesting that they may have separate mechanistic pathways. Clinically, this may mean the discovery of distinct conditions. ..
- Ulm E, Sleiman S, Chamberlin H. Developmental functions for the Caenorhabditis elegans Sp protein SPTF-3. Mech Dev. 2011;128:428-41 pubmed publisher..We propose SPTF-3 provides a good model to study the in vivo functions for Sp transcription factors during animal development. ..
- Sims S, Stinson K, McLean F, Davis J, Wilkinson E. Angiomyofibroblastoma of the vulva: a case report of a pedunculated variant and review of the literature. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2012;16:149-54 pubmed publisher..We reviewed 70 cases of vulvar AMF that have been reported in the English-language literature and report 1 case of a pedunculated variant. Our case brings the total reported to 71 and is only the fourth pedunculated variant reported...
- Kingsberg S, Wysocki S, Magnus L, Krychman M. Vulvar and vaginal atrophy in postmenopausal women: findings from the REVIVE (REal Women's VIews of Treatment Options for Menopausal Vaginal ChangEs) survey. J Sex Med. 2013;10:1790-9 pubmed publisher..Symptoms include dyspareunia (pain with intercourse), vaginal dryness, and irritation and may affect sexual activities, relationships, and activities of daily life...
- Clayton J, van den Heuvel S, Saito R. Transcriptional control of cell-cycle quiescence during C. elegans development. Dev Biol. 2008;313:603-13 pubmed..These transcriptional regulators represent potential molecular connections between development and the basic cell-cycle machinery. ..
- Aroian R, Koga M, Mendel J, Ohshima Y, Sternberg P. The let-23 gene necessary for Caenorhabditis elegans vulval induction encodes a tyrosine kinase of the EGF receptor subfamily. Nature. 1990;348:693-9 pubmed
- Aroian R, Sternberg P. Multiple functions of let-23, a Caenorhabditis elegans receptor tyrosine kinase gene required for vulval induction. Genetics. 1991;128:251-67 pubmed..Since various let-23 mutant phenotypes can be obtained independently, the let-23 gene is likely to have tissue-specific functions. ..
- Lee J, Jongeward G, Sternberg P. unc-101, a gene required for many aspects of Caenorhabditis elegans development and behavior, encodes a clathrin-associated protein. Genes Dev. 1994;8:60-73 pubmed..We have sequenced the mutant alleles of unc-101 identified in various genetic screens and shown that all but one are deletions or nonsense mutations, suggesting that these alleles severely reduce unc-101 function...
- Moghal N, Garcia L, Khan L, Iwasaki K, Sternberg P. Modulation of EGF receptor-mediated vulva development by the heterotrimeric G-protein Galphaq and excitable cells in C. elegans. Development. 2003;130:4553-66 pubmed
- Hwang B, Sternberg P. A cell-specific enhancer that specifies lin-3 expression in the C. elegans anchor cell for vulval development. Development. 2004;131:143-51 pubmed
- Bastiani C, Gharib S, Simon M, Sternberg P. Caenorhabditis elegans Galphaq regulates egg-laying behavior via a PLCbeta-independent and serotonin-dependent signaling pathway and likely functions both in the nervous system and in muscle. Genetics. 2003;165:1805-22 pubmed..Our data indicate that there are multiple signaling pathways downstream of EGL-30 and that different pathways could predominate with respect to the regulation of different behaviors. ..
- Deshpande R, Inoue T, Priess J, Hill R. lin-17/Frizzled and lin-18 regulate POP-1/TCF-1 localization and cell type specification during C. elegans vulval development. Dev Biol. 2005;278:118-29 pubmed..These experiments suggest that Wnt signaling pathways reorient cell lineages in the posterior half of the vulva from a default orientation displayed in the anterior half of the vulva. ..
- Bacon J, Burgis J. Hair thread tourniquet syndrome in adolescents: a presentation and review of the literature. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2005;18:155-6 pubmed..Prompt recognition of this unusual condition is essential for treatment of this potentially serious problem. ..
- Lee I, Lehner B, Crombie C, Wong W, Fraser A, Marcotte E. A single gene network accurately predicts phenotypic effects of gene perturbation in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nat Genet. 2008;40:181-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that an analogous network for human genes might be similarly predictive and thus facilitate identification of disease genes and rational therapeutic targets. ..
- Kamikura D, Cooper J. Lipoprotein receptors and a disabled family cytoplasmic adaptor protein regulate EGL-17/FGF export in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2003;17:2798-811 pubmed..These results suggest a model in which Ce-DAB-1 coordinates selection of receptors and cargo, including EGL-17, for transport through the secretory pathway. ..
- Karp X, Ambros V. Developmental biology. Encountering microRNAs in cell fate signaling. Science. 2005;310:1288-9 pubmed
- Moghal N, Sternberg P. A component of the transcriptional mediator complex inhibits RAS-dependent vulval fate specification in C. elegans. Development. 2003;130:57-69 pubmed..Thus, the glutamine-rich region contributes to specificity of this class of mediator protein. ..
- Tazelaar H, Batts K, Srigley J. Primary extrapulmonary sugar tumor (PEST): a report of four cases. Mod Pathol. 2001;14:615-22 pubmed
- Chesney M, Kidd A, Kimble J. gon-14 functions with class B and class C synthetic multivulva genes to control larval growth in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2006;172:915-28 pubmed..We suggest that gon-14 functions with class B and class C synMuv genes to promote larval growth, in part by antagonizing MES-2,3,6/ESC-E(z) and MES-4. ..
- Walston T, Guo C, Proenca R, Wu M, Herman M, Hardin J, et al. mig-5/Dsh controls cell fate determination and cell migration in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2006;298:485-97 pubmed..These defects demonstrate that MIG-5 is essential in determining proper cell fate and cell migration throughout C. elegans development. ..
- Hill R, Sternberg P. The gene lin-3 encodes an inductive signal for vulval development in C. elegans. Nature. 1992;358:470-6 pubmed..Expression of lin-3 in the anchor cell stimulates vulval induction; lin-3 may encode the vulval inducing signal...