Experts and Doctors on vocal cords in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: vocal cords
- Alipour F, Scherer R. Time-Dependent Pressure and Flow Behavior of a Self-oscillating Laryngeal Model With Ventricular Folds. J Voice. 2015;29:649-59 pubmed publisher..This model produces realistic results and demonstrates interactions among phonation variables of a highly instructive nature, including the influence of the FVFs. ..
- Czerwonka L, Jiang J, Tao C. Vocal nodules and edema may be due to vibration-induced rises in capillary pressure. Laryngoscope. 2008;118:748-52 pubmed publisher..More vibratory amplitude measurements need to be performed in a wider range of subjects before the full range of human vocal fold vascular pressures can be estimated. ..
- Li Q, Chang Z, Oliveira G, Xiong M, Smith L, Frey B, et al. Protein turnover during inÂ vitro tissue engineering. Biomaterials. 2016;81:104-113 pubmed publisher..This technique sheds new light on inÂ vitro tissue remodeling and the process of tissue regeneration, and is readily applicable to other tissue and organ systems. ..
- Yamashita M, Bless D, Welham N. Surgical method to create vocal fold injuries in mice. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2009;118:131-8 pubmed
- Welham N, Lim X, Tateya I, Bless D. Inflammatory factor profiles one hour following vocal fold injury. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2008;117:145-52 pubmed..Inflammatory factor and ECM gene expression changes occur in vocal fold wound sites as early as 1 hour after injury. These results should inform future efforts to attenuate vocal fold scarring via the modulation of inflammatory factors. ..
- Zhuang P, Sprecher A, Hoffman M, Zhang Y, Fourakis M, Jiang J, et al. Phonation threshold flow measurements in normal and pathological phonation. Laryngoscope. 2009;119:811-5 pubmed publisher..Future research could focus on measuring PTF in other pathologies, such as paralysis or scarring, which would also affect the effort required to produce voice. ..
- Wang J, Olszewski E, Devine E, Hoffman M, Zhang Y, Shao J, et al. Extension and Application of High-Speed Digital Imaging Analysis Via Spatiotemporal Correlation and Eigenmode Analysis of Vocal Fold Vibration Before and After Polyp Excision. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2016;125:660-6 pubmed publisher..84 and 0.93. Correlation length and entropy are sensitive to mass lesions. These parameters could potentially be used to augment subjective visualization after polyp excision when evaluating procedural efficacy. ..
- Anbar R. Hypnosis in pediatrics: applications at a pediatric pulmonary center. BMC Pediatr. 2002;2:11 pubmed..Therefore, hypnotherapy can be an important complementary therapy for patients in a pediatric practice. ..
- Larsen B, Caruso L, Villariet D. Paradoxical vocal cord motion: an often misdiagnosed cause of postoperative stridor. J Clin Anesth. 2004;16:230-4 pubmed..The presentation, etiology, diagnosis, and treatment of paradoxical vocal cord motion as it relates to the care of the postoperative patient are discussed. ..
- Jiang J, Stern J, Chen H, Solomon N. Vocal efficiency measurements in subjects with vocal polyps and nodules: a preliminary report. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2004;113:277-82 pubmed..These results provide quantitative verification of the clinical impression of inefficient phonation in patients with mass lesions of the vocal folds. ..
- Tateya T, Tateya I, Bless D. Collagen subtypes in human vocal folds. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2006;115:469-76 pubmed
- Adhami T, Goldblum J, Richter J, Vaezi M. The role of gastric and duodenal agents in laryngeal injury: an experimental canine model. Am J Gastroenterol. 2004;99:2098-106 pubmed..ii) Duodenal agents do not play a significant role in causing laryngeal injury. (iii) Aggressive acid suppression should eliminate the injurious potential of any gastroduodenal refluxate. ..
- Yamashita M, Bless D, Welham N. Morphological and extracellular matrix changes following vocal fold injury in mice. Cells Tissues Organs. 2010;192:262-71 pubmed publisher..Morphological and ECM changes following vocal fold injury in the mouse were generally consistent with those reported in other animal models, particularly the rat, although wound repair in the mouse appears to occur at a faster rate. ..
- Welham N, Dailey S, Ford C, Bless D. Voice handicap evaluation of patients with pathologic sulcus vocalis. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2007;116:411-7 pubmed..These data suggest that pathologic sulcus vocalis can be a severely handicapping condition, particularly in the presence of concomitant scar. ..
- Chen X, Thibeault S. Novel isolation and biochemical characterization of immortalized fibroblasts for tissue engineering vocal fold lamina propria. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2009;15:201-12 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of immortalization and biochemical characterization of hVFFs, providing a novel and invaluable tool for tissue regeneration applications in the larynx. ..
- Li L, Teller S, Clifton R, Jia X, Kiick K. Tunable mechanical stability and deformation response of a resilin-based elastomer. Biomacromolecules. 2011;12:2302-10 pubmed publisher..The ease of production of these biologically active materials, coupled to their outstanding mechanical properties over a range of compositions, suggests their potential in tissue regeneration applications. ..
- Jiang J, Tao C. The minimum glottal airflow to initiate vocal fold oscillation. J Acoust Soc Am. 2007;121:2873-81 pubmed..Also discussed is the potential significance of PTF in investigating the energy distribution in a vocal fold vibration system and related clinical applications...
- Forrest L, Husein T, Husein O. Paradoxical vocal cord motion: classification and treatment. Laryngoscope. 2012;122:844-53 pubmed publisher..A classification scheme divides PVCM into primary, or psychological, and secondary. The secondary form consists of medical disorders divided into irritable larynx syndrome and neurologic disorders. ..
- Vokes D, Jackson R, Guo S, Perez J, Su J, Ridgway J, et al. Optical coherence tomography-enhanced microlaryngoscopy: preliminary report of a noncontact optical coherence tomography system integrated with a surgical microscope. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2008;117:538-47 pubmed..This aim of this study was to develop and evaluate a novel OCT system integrated with a surgical microscope to allow hands-free OCT imaging of the VFs, which could be performed simultaneously with microscopic visualization...
- Bless D, Welham N. Characterization of vocal fold scar formation, prophylaxis, and treatment using animal models. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010;18:481-6 pubmed publisher..With increased standardization of measurement techniques it may be possible to make more inter-study comparisons. ..
- Hanson K, Zhang Y, Jiang J. Ex vivo canine vocal fold lamina propria rehydration after varying dehydration levels. J Voice. 2011;25:657-62 pubmed publisher..The results correspond to the biphasic theory and may be used to help model the biomechanical and physiological properties of VF LP tissue during rehydration. ..
- Jiang J, Zhang Y, McGilligan C. Chaos in voice, from modeling to measurement. J Voice. 2006;20:2-17 pubmed..Chaos theory and nonlinear dynamics can enchance our understanding and therefore our assessment of pathological phonation. ..
- Rosen K, Kent R, Duffy J. Task-based profile of vocal intensity decline in Parkinson's disease. Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2005;57:28-37 pubmed..However, considering the inconsistent group differences across tasks, and the discrepant findings from previous studies, intensity decay is not a robust symptom of PD. ..
- Hampala V, Garcia M, Å vec J, Scherer R, Herbst C. Relationship Between the Electroglottographic Signal and Vocal Fold Contact Area. J Voice. 2016;30:161-71 pubmed publisher..However, any quantitative and statistical data derived from EGG should be interpreted cautiously, allowing for potential deviations from true VFCA. ..
- Donnellan K, Pitman K, Cannon C, Replogle W, Simmons J. Intraoperative laryngeal nerve monitoring during thyroidectomy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009;135:1196-8 pubmed publisher..07). These data suggest that an RLN that responds at lower-intensity stimulation (</=0.5 mA) at the end of thyroid surgery is associated with normal vocal cord mobility. ..
- Knott P, Byrd M, Hicks D, Strome M. Vocal fold healing after laser cordectomy with adjuvant cryotherapy. Laryngoscope. 2006;116:1580-4 pubmed..Studies in humans are ongoing to further evaluate the clinical potential of cryotherapy on glottic wound healing. ..
- HARNSBERGER J, Brown W, Shrivastav R, Rothman H. Noise and tremor in the perception of vocal aging in males. J Voice. 2010;24:523-30 pubmed publisher..Fundamental frequency manipulations had no significant effect on perceived age. Voice quality (both tremor and noise) and speaking rate are all perceptually relevant cues of age in male voices. ..
- Welham N, Montequin D, Tateya I, Tateya T, Choi S, Bless D. A rat excised larynx model of vocal fold scar. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2009;52:1008-20 pubmed publisher..To develop and evaluate a rat excised larynx model for the measurement of acoustic, aerodynamic, and vocal fold vibratory changes resulting from vocal fold scar...
- Wilson J, Theis S, Wilson E. Evaluation and management of vocal cord dysfunction in the athlete. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2009;8:65-70 pubmed publisher..Given its complex nature, a multidisciplinary approach to VCD evaluation and management is necessary and results in optimal outcomes. ..
- Ling C, Yamashita M, Waselchuk E, Raasch J, Bless D, Welham N. Alteration in cellular morphology, density and distribution in rat vocal fold mucosa following injury. Wound Repair Regen. 2010;18:89-97 pubmed publisher..The sequential emergence of reactive cell populations following injury and subsequent reconstruction of the mucosa suggests their involvement in vocal fold tissue repair and scar formation processes...
- Tateya T, Tateya I, Munoz del Rio A, Bless D. Postnatal development of rat vocal folds. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2006;115:215-24 pubmed..In this study we aimed to determine the feasibility of using a rat model for the study of postnatal vocal fold (VF) development...
- Tateya T, Tateya I, Sohn J, Bless D. Histological study of acute vocal fold injury in a rat model. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2006;115:285-92 pubmed..We used an acute vocal fold injury in a rat model to characterize vocal fold wound healing by studying the expression pattern of the extracellular matrix components in the vocal fold lamina propria...
- Zhang Y, Bieging E, Tsui H, Jiang J. Efficient and effective extraction of vocal fold vibratory patterns from high-speed digital imaging. J Voice. 2010;24:21-9 pubmed publisher..The proposed automatic image-processing algorithm may provide a valuable biomedical application for the clinical assessment of vocal disorders by use of high-speed digital imaging. ..
- Lim X, Bless D, Munoz del Rio A, Welham N. Changes in cytokine signaling and extracellular matrix production induced by inflammatory factors in cultured vocal fold fibroblasts. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2008;117:227-38 pubmed..To evaluate previously established in vivo cytokine and ECM gene expression hypotheses, we examined in vitro vocal fold fibroblast responses to exogenous inflammatory factor stimulation...
- Isenberg J, Crozier D, Dailey S. Institutional and comprehensive review of laryngeal leukoplakia. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2008;117:74-9 pubmed..The nature and interpretation of vocal fold leukoplakia has been limited by small study sizes. The present study reviewed institutional data and the published literature to better characterize vocal fold leukoplakia...
- Silvers W, Levine J, Poole J, Naar E, Weber R. Inlet patch of gastric mucosa in upper esophagus causing chronic cough and vocal cord dysfunction. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2006;96:112-5 pubmed..This is the first report, to our knowledge, of an inlet patch resulting in a troublesome, chronic cough. ..
- Carroll T, Rosen C. Long-term results of calcium hydroxylapatite for vocal fold augmentation. Laryngoscope. 2011;121:313-9 pubmed publisher..6 months. Three complications were seen among 108 CaHA injections. CaHA is a long-term injectable with an excellent track record that does not appear to warrant concern for permanent or late complications. ..
- Vorperian H, Kent R, Lindstrom M, Kalina C, Gentry L, Yandell B. Development of vocal tract length during early childhood: a magnetic resonance imaging study. J Acoust Soc Am. 2005;117:338-50 pubmed..Findings provide normative data that can be used for modeling the development of the vocal tract. ..
- Garner J, Schweinfurth J, May W, Faust J. The transnasal esophagoscopy documentation dilemma. Laryngoscope. 2007;117:1143-5 pubmed
- Chodara A, Krausert C, Jiang J. Kymographic characterization of vibration in human vocal folds with nodules and polyps. Laryngoscope. 2012;122:58-65 pubmed publisher..Digital kymography (DKG) can provide objective quantitative data about vocal fold vibration, which may help distinguish normal from pathological vocal folds as well as nodules from polyps...
- Johnson B, Fox R, Chen X, Thibeault S. Tissue regeneration of the vocal fold using bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells and synthetic extracellular matrix injections in rats. Laryngoscope. 2010;120:537-45 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the combined treatment had no detectable cytotoxicity and preserved local cell proliferation. ..
- Tateya I, Tateya T, Lim X, Sohn J, Bless D. Cell production in injured vocal folds: a rat study. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2006;115:135-43 pubmed..To reveal the characteristics of vocal fold cell production, we investigated cell proliferation in the acute phase of wound healing...
- Lee W, Milstein C, Hicks D, Akst L, Esclamado R. Results of ansa to recurrent laryngeal nerve reinnervation. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007;136:450-4 pubmed..We sought to describe the results of ansa cervicalis to recurrent laryngeal nerve (ansa-RLN) reinnervation for unilateral vocal fold paralysis...
- Chegar B, Tatum S, Marrinan E, Shprintzen R. Upper airway asymmetry in velo-cardio-facial syndrome. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2006;70:1375-81 pubmed..2 microdeletion. These developmental abnormalities may increase the risk of speech impairment, aspiration and airway obstruction in affected individuals. ..
- Hinerman R, Mendenhall W, Morris C, Amdur R, Werning J, Villaret D. T3 and T4 true vocal cord squamous carcinomas treated with external beam irradiation: a single institution's 35-year experience. Am J Clin Oncol. 2007;30:181-5 pubmed..Local control and ultimate cure probabilities will hopefully improve further with the addition of concomitant chemotherapy to RT for larger tumors. ..
- Gaston J, Quinchia Rios B, Bartlett R, Berchtold C, Thibeault S. The response of vocal fold fibroblasts and mesenchymal stromal cells to vibration. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30965 pubmed publisher..Further investigation into a larger number of gene markers, protein levels, increased number of donors and vibratory conditions are warranted. ..
- Welham N, Chang Z, Smith L, Frey B. Proteomic analysis of a decellularized human vocal fold mucosa scaffold using 2D electrophoresis and high-resolution mass spectrometry. Biomaterials. 2013;34:669-76 pubmed publisher..This work has implications for the manufacturing of biologic scaffolds from any tissue or organ, as well as for prediction and monitoring of the scaffold-host interaction in vivo. ..
- Lai Y, Petty B, Huang W, Dailey S. Bilateral vocal fold chondromas. J Voice. 2013;27:255-7 pubmed publisher..Here, we present the first case of bilateral vocal fold chondromas. Detailed evaluation, careful resection with phonomicrosurgery technique, and perioperative voice therapy are considered essential for the management...
- Tao C, Jiang J. Anterior-posterior biphonation in a finite element model of vocal fold vibration. J Acoust Soc Am. 2006;120:1570-7 pubmed..Then, it is found that the anterior-posterior shape asymmetry also decreases the spatial coherence of vocal fold vibration, and shape asymmetry is a possible reason for anterior-posterior biphonation. ..
- Sahiner N, Jha A, Nguyen D, Jia X. Fabrication and characterization of cross-linkable hydrogel particles based on hyaluronic acid: potential application in vocal fold regeneration. J Biomater Sci Polym Ed. 2008;19:223-43 pubmed publisher..24%/min in the first 6 h. When encapsulated in the DXN, R6G was released at a steady rate of 0.03%/min for over 3 days. These novel hydrogels are promising implant materials for vocal fold tissue regeneration. ..
- Sewall G, Jiang J, Ford C. Clinical evaluation of Parkinson's-related dysphonia. Laryngoscope. 2006;116:1740-4 pubmed..Reduction of glottal gap with collagen improves MPT and subglottal PTP. The resulting gain of vocal efficiency may reduce vocal fatigue and provide a useful adjunct to voice therapy for PRD. ..
- Vyas B, Ishikawa K, Duflo S, Chen X, Thibeault S. Inhibitory effects of hepatocyte growth factor and interleukin-6 on transforming growth factor-beta1 mediated vocal fold fibroblast-myofibroblast differentiation. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2010;119:350-7 pubmed..Paradoxically, IL-6, which has been shown to play a profibrotic role in dermal studies, also attenuated the TGF-beta1 response. ..
- Tao C, Jiang J, Zhang Y. Simulation of vocal fold impact pressures with a self-oscillating finite-element model. J Acoust Soc Am. 2006;119:3987-94 pubmed..The match between our numerical simulations and clinical observations suggests that this self-oscillating finite-element model might be valuable for predicting mechanical trauma of the vocal folds...
- Fulop S, Fitz K. Algorithms for computing the time-corrected instantaneous frequency (reassigned) spectrogram, with applications. J Acoust Soc Am. 2006;119:360-71 pubmed..Fruitful application of the method is shown in the realms of speech phonation analysis, whale song pitch tracking, and additive sound modeling. ..
- Chera B, Amdur R, Morris C, Mendenhall W. Carotid-sparing intensity-modulated radiotherapy for early-stage squamous cell carcinoma of the true vocal cord. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;77:1380-5 pubmed publisher..The question is whether the potential advantage of reducing the carotid dose outweighs the risk of tumor recurrence due to contouring errors and organ motion and the risk of complications from dose heterogeneity. ..
- Thibeault S, Klemuk S, Smith M, Leugers C, Prestwich G. In vivo comparison of biomimetic approaches for tissue regeneration of the scarred vocal fold. Tissue Eng Part A. 2009;15:1481-7 pubmed publisher..Optimization of cell-scaffold interactions and subsequent cell behavior is necessary for utilization of scaffold and scaffold-cell approaches...
- Tao C, Jiang J, Czerwonka L. Liquid accumulation in vibrating vocal fold tissue: a simplified model based on a fluid-saturated porous solid theory. J Voice. 2010;24:260-9 pubmed publisher..D., dissertation, 1991, University of Iowa)...
- Fox C, Ramig L, Ciucci M, Sapir S, McFarland D, Farley B. The science and practice of LSVT/LOUD: neural plasticity-principled approach to treating individuals with Parkinson disease and other neurological disorders. Semin Speech Lang. 2006;27:283-99 pubmed
- Jia X, Yeo Y, Clifton R, Jiao T, Kohane D, Kobler J, et al. Hyaluronic acid-based microgels and microgel networks for vocal fold regeneration. Biomacromolecules. 2006;7:3336-44 pubmed
- Tao C, Jiang J. Mechanical stress during phonation in a self-oscillating finite-element vocal fold model. J Biomech. 2007;40:2191-8 pubmed..This implies the mechanical stress predicted by this self-oscillating model could be valuable for predicting, preventing, and treating vocal fold injury. ..
- Benninger M. Laser surgery for nodules and other benign laryngeal lesions. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009;17:440-4 pubmed publisher..The safety and efficiency of microdissection techniques and the lack of evidence to support the use of newer lasers for vocal nodules would suggest selective laser use for removing vocal nodules. ..
- Bonilha H, Deliyski D, Gerlach T. Phase asymmetries in normophonic speakers: visual judgments and objective findings. Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2008;17:367-76 pubmed publisher..Differences between objective measures and visual judgments support the need to quantify vocal fold vibratory features. ..
- Kishimoto Y, Hirano S, Tateya I, Kanemaru S, Ito J. Temporal changes in vocal functions of human scarred vocal folds after cordectomy. Laryngoscope. 2010;120:1597-601 pubmed publisher..The present study aimed to investigate the maturation process of human vocal folds scarred by cordectomy in terms of vibratory and aerodynamic functions...
- Benninger C, Parsons J, Mastronarde J. Vocal cord dysfunction and asthma. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2011;17:45-9 pubmed publisher..Laryngeal control taught by speech pathologists is the most common treatment. Effectiveness is supported in case reports and clinical experience, but not in larger randomized trials which are needed. ..
- Chang Z, Ling C, Yamashita M, Welham N. Microarray-driven validation of reference genes for quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction in a rat vocal fold model of mucosal injury. Anal Biochem. 2010;406:214-21 pubmed publisher..The stable reference genes identified here are suitable for accurate normalization of target gene expression in vocal fold mucosal injury experiments. ..
- Hottinger D, Tao C, Jiang J. Comparing phonation threshold flow and pressure by abducting excised larynges. Laryngoscope. 2007;117:1695-9 pubmed..Goals were to examine phonation threshold flow as a measurable parameter sensitive to physiologic changes in the vocal folds and compare the relative sensitivities of phonation threshold flow and phonation threshold pressure...
- Cali A, Neafie R, Weiss L, Ghosh K, Vergara R, Gupta R, et al. Human vocal cord infection with the Microsporidium Anncaliia algerae. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2010;57:562-7 pubmed publisher..algerae. This case illustrates the ability of this insect pathogen to cause disease in immune-compromised mammalian hosts. ..
- Ling C, Raasch J, Welham N. E-cadherin and transglutaminase-1 epithelial barrier restoration precedes type IV collagen basement membrane reconstruction following vocal fold mucosal injury. Cells Tissues Organs. 2011;193:158-69 pubmed publisher..These data may inform future efforts to optimize functional mucosal recovery postinjury and avoid undesirable events such as barrier compromise or epithelial metaplasia. ..