Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on viral fusion proteins in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: viral fusion proteins
- Zhang W, Choi Y, Haynes L, Harcourt J, Anderson L, Jones L, et al. Vaccination to induce antibodies blocking the CX3C-CX3CR1 interaction of respiratory syncytial virus G protein reduces pulmonary inflammation and virus replication in mice. J Virol. 2010;84:1148-57 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that RSV vaccines that induce antibodies that block G protein CX3C-CX3CR1 interaction may offer a new, safe, and efficacious RSV vaccine strategy. ..
- Wu H, Dennis V, Pillai S, Singh S. RSV fusion (F) protein DNA vaccine provides partial protection against viral infection. Virus Res. 2009;145:39-47 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the RSV DRF-412 vaccine vector, which contains the cholera toxin subunit ctxA2B as a mucosal adjuvant may provide a better DNA vaccination strategy against RSV. ..
- Diaz R, Bateman A, Emiliusen L, Fielding A, Trono D, Russell S, et al. A lentiviral vector expressing a fusogenic glycoprotein for cancer gene therapy. Gene Ther. 2000;7:1656-63 pubmed
- Allen S, Garrett J, Rawale S, Jones A, Phillips G, Forni G, et al. Peptide vaccines of the HER-2/neu dimerization loop are effective in inhibiting mammary tumor growth in vivo. J Immunol. 2007;179:472-82 pubmed
- Kvaratskhelia M, Clark P, Hess S, Melder D, Federspiel M, Hughes S. Identification of glycosylation sites in the SU component of the Avian Sarcoma/Leukosis virus Envelope Glycoprotein (Subgroup A) by mass spectrometry. Virology. 2004;326:171-81 pubmed..Removing most of the carbohydrate from the mature SU(A)-rIgG by PNGase F treatment greatly reduces the ability of the protein to bind Tva, suggesting that carbohydrate may play a direct role in receptor binding. ..
- Bose S, Basu M, Banerjee A. Role of nucleolin in human parainfluenza virus type 3 infection of human lung epithelial cells. J Virol. 2004;78:8146-58 pubmed..Thus, these results suggest that nucleolin expressed on the surfaces of human lung epithelial A549 cells plays an important role during HPIV-3 cellular entry. ..
- Wurth M, Schowalter R, Smith E, Moncman C, Dutch R, McCann R. The actin cytoskeleton inhibits pore expansion during PIV5 fusion protein-promoted cell-cell fusion. Virology. 2010;404:117-26 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the cortical actin cytoskeleton is an important regulator of fusion pore enlargement, an energetically costly stage of viral fusion protein-mediated membrane merger. ..
- Goldman E, Korus M, Mandecki W. Efficiencies of translation in three reading frames of unusual non-ORF sequences isolated from phage display. FASEB J. 2000;14:603-11 pubmed
- Smith E, Culler M, Hellman L, Fried M, Creamer T, Dutch R. Beyond anchoring: the expanding role of the hendra virus fusion protein transmembrane domain in protein folding, stability, and function. J Virol. 2012;86:3003-13 pubmed publisher..Our results support a model whereby the C-terminal end of the Hendra virus F TMD is an important regulator of TMD-TMD interactions and show that these interactions help hold HRB in place prior to the triggering of membrane fusion...
- Leemans A, De Schryver M, Van der Gucht W, Heykers A, Pintelon I, Hotard A, et al. Antibody-Induced Internalization of the Human Respiratory Syncytial Virus Fusion Protein. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..On the other hand, this mechanism may also reduce the efficacy of antibody-mediated effector mechanisms toward infected cells. ..
- Phan S, Zengel J, Wei H, Li Z, Wang D, He B. Parainfluenza Virus 5 Expressing Wild-Type or Prefusion Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Fusion Protein Protects Mice and Cotton Rats from RSV Challenge. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Most importantly, we found that PIV5-based RSV vaccine candidates were efficacious in preventing lower respiratory tract infection as well as in reducing the nasal viral load when administered via the subcutaneous route. ..
- Stone R, Takimoto T. Critical role of the fusion protein cytoplasmic tail sequence in parainfluenza virus assembly. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61281 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the role of the F cytoplasmic tail in accumulation of structural components at the plasma membrane assembly sites. ..
- Wille P, Wisner T, RYCKMAN B, Johnson D. Human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) glycoprotein gB promotes virus entry in trans acting as the viral fusion protein rather than as a receptor-binding protein. MBio. 2013;4:e00332-13 pubmed publisher..In contrast, virus particles lacking gH/gL could not enter cells expressing gH/gL. Our study supports the hypothesis that gB is the fusion protein and gH/gL acts upstream of gB to bind receptors and then activate gB for fusion...
- Apte Sengupta S, Navaratnarajah C, Cattaneo R. Hydrophobic and charged residues in the central segment of the measles virus hemagglutinin stalk mediate transmission of the fusion-triggering signal. J Virol. 2013;87:10401-4 pubmed publisher..In addition, hydrophobic and charged residues in the 104 through 125 segment, arranged with helical periodicity, are critical for F protein interactions and signal transmission. ..
- Smith E, Smith S, Carter J, Webb S, Gibson K, Hellman L, et al. Trimeric transmembrane domain interactions in paramyxovirus fusion proteins: roles in protein folding, stability, and function. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:35726-35 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results suggest that trimeric TM interactions are important driving forces for protein folding, stability and membrane fusion promotion. ..
- Wei Y, Zhang Y, Cai H, Mirza A, Iorio R, Peeples M, et al. Roles of the putative integrin-binding motif of the human metapneumovirus fusion (f) protein in cell-cell fusion, viral infectivity, and pathogenesis. J Virol. 2014;88:4338-52 pubmed publisher..These findings not only will facilitate the development of antiviral drugs targeting viral entry steps but also will lead to the development new live attenuated vaccine candidates for hMPV...
- Chang A, Hackett B, Winter C, Buchholz U, Dutch R. Potential electrostatic interactions in multiple regions affect human metapneumovirus F-mediated membrane fusion. J Virol. 2012;86:9843-53 pubmed publisher..As a whole, these studies implicate charged residues and potential electrostatic interactions in function, pH sensing, and overall stability of HMPV F...
- Popa A, Carter J, Smith S, Hellman L, Fried M, Dutch R. Residues in the hendra virus fusion protein transmembrane domain are critical for endocytic recycling. J Virol. 2012;86:3014-26 pubmed publisher..In addition, changes in association of isolated Hendra virus F TMDs correlated with alterations to Hendra virus F recycling, suggesting that appropriate TMD interactions play an important role in endocytic trafficking...
- Smith E, Dutch R. Side chain packing below the fusion peptide strongly modulates triggering of the Hendra virus F protein. J Virol. 2010;84:10928-32 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that side chain packing beneath the fusion peptide is an important regulator of Hendra virus F triggering. ..
- Moudy R, Harmon S, Sullender W, Wertz G. Variations in transcription termination signals of human respiratory syncytial virus clinical isolates affect gene expression. Virology. 2003;313:250-60 pubmed
- Huang J, Smirnov S, Lewis Antes A, Balan M, Li W, Tang S, et al. Inhibition of type I and type III interferons by a secreted glycoprotein from Yaba-like disease virus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:9822-7 pubmed..These results suggest that type III IFNs may be an effective treatment for some poxviral infections...
- Duale H, Hou S, Derbenev A, Smith B, Rabchevsky A. Spinal cord injury reduces the efficacy of pseudorabies virus labeling of sympathetic preganglionic neurons. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2009;68:168-78 pubmed publisher..These results question whether spinal cord injury exclusively retards PRV expression and/or transport or whether this injury broadly affects host cell-viral interactions...
- Vig K, Lewis N, Moore E, Pillai S, Dennis V, Singh S. Secondary RNA structure and its role in RNA interference to silence the respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein gene. Mol Biotechnol. 2009;43:200-11 pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrates the silencing of the F gene using siRNA. Thermodynamic characteristics of the target RSV mRNA and siRNA seem to play an important role in siRNA gene silencing efficiency. ..
- Jones J, Risser R. Cell fusion induced by the murine leukemia virus envelope glycoprotein. J Virol. 1993;67:67-74 pubmed..Analysis of the effect of these mutations confirmed that this region is a fusion domain...
- Chaiwatpongsakorn S, Epand R, Collins P, Epand R, Peeples M. Soluble respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein in the fully cleaved, pretriggered state is triggered by exposure to low-molarity buffer. J Virol. 2011;85:3968-77 pubmed publisher..Mutation of the furin cleavage site adjacent to the fusion peptide prevented liposome association, further confirming that association is via the fusion peptide. ..
- Seifert R. Monovalent anions differentially modulate coupling of the beta2-adrenoceptor to G(s)alpha splice variants. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2001;298:840-7 pubmed..Thus, monovalent anions differentially regulate beta2AR-coupling to G(s)alphaS and G(s)alphaL...
- Yan H, Lamm M, Björling E, Huang Y. Multiple functions of immunoglobulin A in mucosal defense against viruses: an in vitro measles virus model. J Virol. 2002;76:10972-9 pubmed
- Oomens A, Megaw A, Wertz G. Infectivity of a human respiratory syncytial virus lacking the SH, G, and F proteins is efficiently mediated by the vesicular stomatitis virus G protein. J Virol. 2003;77:3785-98 pubmed..This is the first report of the recovery of an infectious HRSV lacking a fusion protein of the Paramyxoviridae family and of manipulation of the HRSV entry pathway via incorporation of a nonparamyxoviral transmembrane glycoprotein. ..
- Veazey R, Lifson J, Schmitz J, Kuroda M, Piatak M, Pandrea I, et al. Dynamics of Simian immunodeficiency virus-specific cytotoxic T-cell responses in tissues. J Med Primatol. 2003;32:194-200 pubmed
- Lednicky J, Meehan T, Kinsel M, Dubach J, Hungerford L, Sarich N, et al. Effective primary isolation of wild-type canine distemper virus in MDCK, MV1 Lu and Vero cells without nucleotide sequence changes within the entire haemagglutinin protein gene and in subgenomic sections of the fusion and phospho protein genes. J Virol Methods. 2004;118:147-57 pubmed..Different viral phenotypes and genotypes were detected. The conservation of H gene sequences in primary CDV isolates suggests that MDCK, MV1 Lu, and Vero cells express proper receptors for wild-type CDV. ..
- Wang D, Hevey M, Juompan L, Trubey C, Raja N, Deitz S, et al. Complex adenovirus-vectored vaccine protects guinea pigs from three strains of Marburg virus challenges. Virology. 2006;353:324-32 pubmed..Therefore, the cAdVaxM(fus) vaccine serves as a promising vaccine candidate to prevent and contain multi-strain infections by MARV...
- Babel A, Bruce J, Young J. The hr1 and fusion peptide regions of the subgroup B avian sarcoma and leukosis virus envelope glycoprotein influence low pH-dependent membrane fusion. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e171 pubmed..These data indicate that these two regions of EnvB can influence the pH threshold of fusion activation...
- Choi Y, Mason C, Jones L, Crabtree J, Jorquera P, Tripp R. Antibodies to the central conserved region of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) G protein block RSV G protein CX3C-CX3CR1 binding and cross-neutralize RSV A and B strains. Viral Immunol. 2012;25:193-203 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that vaccines that induce RSV G protein-CX3CR1 blocking antibodies may provide a disease intervention strategy in the efforts to develop safe and efficacious RSV vaccines. ..
- Chang A, Dutch R. Paramyxovirus fusion and entry: multiple paths to a common end. Viruses. 2012;4:613-36 pubmed publisher..Finally, we highlight key unanswered questions and how further studies can identify novel targets for the development of therapeutic treatments against these human pathogens. ..
- Navaratnarajah C, Negi S, Braun W, Cattaneo R. Membrane fusion triggering: three modules with different structure and function in the upper half of the measles virus attachment protein stalk. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:38543-51 pubmed publisher..We discuss the modular structure of the MV H-stalk in the context of membrane fusion triggering and cell entry by Paramyxoviruses...
- Wei Y, Feng K, Yao X, Cai H, Li J, Mirza A, et al. Localization of a region in the fusion protein of avian metapneumovirus that modulates cell-cell fusion. J Virol. 2012;86:11800-14 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we have identified a region in the aMPV F protein that modulates the extent of membrane fusion. A model for fusion consistent with these data is presented...
- Whitman S, Smith E, Dutch R. Differential rates of protein folding and cellular trafficking for the Hendra virus F and G proteins: implications for F-G complex formation. J Virol. 2009;83:8998-9001 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the critical F-G interactions occur only after the initial steps of synthesis and cellular transport...
- Oshansky C, Krunkosky T, Barber J, Jones L, Tripp R. Respiratory syncytial virus proteins modulate suppressors of cytokine signaling 1 and 3 and the type I interferon response to infection by a toll-like receptor pathway. Viral Immunol. 2009;22:147-61 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that RSV surface proteins signal through the TLR pathway, suggesting that this may be an important mechanism to reduce type I IFN expression to aid virus replication. ..
- Cifuentes MuÃ±oz N, Sun W, Ray G, Schmitt P, Webb S, Gibson K, et al. Mutations in the Transmembrane Domain and Cytoplasmic Tail of Hendra Virus Fusion Protein Disrupt Virus-Like-Particle Assembly. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..These results advance our basic understanding of the henipavirus assembly process and provide a novel model for the interplay between glycoprotein trafficking and paramyxovirus assembly. ..
- Phan S, Adam C, Chen Z, Citron M, Liang X, Espeseth A, et al. Genetic Stability of Parainfluenza Virus 5-Vectored Human Respiratory Syncytial Virus Vaccine Candidates after In Vitro and In Vivo Passage. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the function of the inserted gene may have an impact on PIV5 genome stability. ..