Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on vacuoles in United States
Locale: United States
Publications162 found, 100 shown here
- Liu M, Tarsio M, Charsky C, Kane P. Structural and functional separation of the N- and C-terminal domains of the yeast V-ATPase subunit H. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:36978-85 pubmed..The N-terminal domain alone is sufficient for activation of ATP hydrolysis in V(1), but the C-terminal domain is essential for proper communication between the V(1) and V(o) sectors. ..
- Singh A, Kaur N, Kosman D. The metalloreductase Fre6p in Fe-efflux from the yeast vacuole. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:28619-26 pubmed..Demonstrating a role for a vacuolar metalloreductase in Fe-efflux supports the model that iron is stored in the vacuole in the ferric state. ..
- Price C, Al Quadan T, Santic M, Jones S, Abu Kwaik Y. Exploitation of conserved eukaryotic host cell farnesylation machinery by an F-box effector of Legionella pneumophila. J Exp Med. 2010;207:1713-26 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study shows novel localized recruitment of the host farnesylation machinery and its anchoring of an F-box effector to the LCV membrane, and this is essential for biological function in vitro and in vivo...
- Mayer A, Wickner W. Docking of yeast vacuoles is catalyzed by the Ras-like GTPase Ypt7p after symmetric priming by Sec18p (NSF). J Cell Biol. 1997;136:307-17 pubmed..In addition to Sec17p/Sec18p, docking requires the activity of the Ras-like GTPase Ypt7p. Unlike Sec17p/Sec18p, which must act before docking, Ypt7p is directly involved in the docking process itself. ..
- Price A, Wickner W, Ungermann C. Proteins needed for vesicle budding from the Golgi complex are also required for the docking step of homotypic vacuole fusion. J Cell Biol. 2000;148:1223-29 pubmed..Consistent with their dual function in Golgi vesicle budding and homotypic fusion of vacuoles, approximately half of the Vam2p and Vam6p of the cell are recovered from cell lysates with purified vacuoles. ..
- Kim S, Punshon T, Lanzirotti A, Li L, Alonso J, Ecker J, et al. Localization of iron in Arabidopsis seed requires the vacuolar membrane transporter VIT1. Science. 2006;314:1295-8 pubmed..We have uncovered a fundamental aspect of seed biology that will ultimately aid the development of nutrient-rich seed, benefiting both human health and agricultural productivity. ..
- Pemberton T, Choi S, Mayer J, Li F, Gokey N, Svaren J, et al. A mutation in the canine gene encoding folliculin-interacting protein 2 (FNIP2) associated with a unique disruption in spinal cord myelination. Glia. 2014;62:39-51 pubmed publisher..While the functional role of FNIP2 is not known, our data would suggest that production of truncated protein results in a delay or failure of maturation of a subpopulation of oligodendrocytes. ..
- Xu Z, Mayer A, Muller E, Wickner W. A heterodimer of thioredoxin and I(B)2 cooperates with Sec18p (NSF) to promote yeast vacuole inheritance. J Cell Biol. 1997;136:299-306 pubmed..Upon Sec17p/Sec18p action, vacuoles become labile but are rapidly stabilized by LMA1. The action of LMA1 and Sec18p is thus coupled and ordered. These data establish LMA1 as a novel factor in trafficking of yeast vacuoles. ..
- Wang L, Seeley E, Wickner W, Merz A. Vacuole fusion at a ring of vertex docking sites leaves membrane fragments within the organelle. Cell. 2002;108:357-69 pubmed..Their vertex enrichment requires cis-SNARE complex disassembly and is thus part of the normal fusion pathway. ..
- Conibear E, Stevens T. Vps52p, Vps53p, and Vps54p form a novel multisubunit complex required for protein sorting at the yeast late Golgi. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:305-23 pubmed..The Vps52/53/54 complex joins a growing list of distinct multisubunit complexes that regulate membrane-trafficking events. ..
- Aboulafia D, Taylor L. Vacuolar myelopathy and vacuolar cerebellar leukoencephalopathy: a late complication of AIDS after highly active antiretroviral therapy-induced immune reconstitution. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2002;16:579-84 pubmed..Whether this case represents yet another variant of the recently described inflammatory immune response syndrome whereby progression of previously quiescent disorders evolve to symptomatic disease after initiation of HAART is uncertain. ..
- Chefalo P, Grandea A, Van Kaer L, Harding C. Tapasin-/- and TAP1-/- macrophages are deficient in vacuolar alternate class I MHC (MHC-I) processing due to decreased MHC-I stability at phagolysosomal pH. J Immunol. 2003;170:5825-33 pubmed..These results are consistent with alternate MHC-I Ag processing mechanisms that involve binding of peptides to MHC-I within acidic vacuolar compartments...
- Sambade M, Kane P. The yeast vacuolar proton-translocating ATPase contains a subunit homologous to the Manduca sexta and bovine e subunits that is essential for function. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:17361-5 pubmed..Based on this evidence, we propose that Vma9p is a genuine subunit of the yeast V-ATPase and that e subunits may be a functionally essential part of all eukaryotic V-ATPases. ..
- Fratti R, Jun Y, Merz A, Margolis N, Wickner W. Interdependent assembly of specific regulatory lipids and membrane fusion proteins into the vertex ring domain of docked vacuoles. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:1087-98 pubmed..Thus, the assembly of the vacuole vertex ring microdomain arises from interdependent lipid and protein partitioning and binding rather than either lipid partitioning or protein interactions alone. ..
- Collins K, Thorngren N, Fratti R, Wickner W. Sec17p and HOPS, in distinct SNARE complexes, mediate SNARE complex disruption or assembly for fusion. EMBO J. 2005;24:1775-86 pubmed..Sec17p may displace HOPS from SNAREs to permit subsequent rounds of fusion. ..
- Molestina R, Sinai A. Host and parasite-derived IKK activities direct distinct temporal phases of NF-kappaB activation and target gene expression following Toxoplasma gondii infection. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:5785-96 pubmed..Thus, T. gondii effectively alters gene expression in a temporal dimension by exploiting the NF-kappaB signaling machinery and subsequently rewiring the activation circuits of the infected host cell. ..
- Kane P. The where, when, and how of organelle acidification by the yeast vacuolar H+-ATPase. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 2006;70:177-91 pubmed..cerevisiae and also examines the relationship between biosynthesis and transport of V-ATPase and compartment-specific regulation of acidification. ..
- Hattier T, Andrulis E, Tartakoff A. Immobility, inheritance and plasticity of shape of the yeast nucleus. BMC Cell Biol. 2007;8:47 pubmed..The lack of inheritance of such components could help sustain cell growth when parental nuclei have acquired potentially deleterious characteristics. ..
- Manandhar S, Calle E, Gharakhanian E. Distinct palmitoylation events at the amino-terminal conserved cysteines of Env7 direct its stability, localization, and vacuolar fusion regulation in S. cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:11431-42 pubmed publisher..Thus, palmitoylation at the N-terminal cysteines of Env7 directs not only its membrane association but also its stability, phosphorylation, and cellular function. ..
- Werner L, Stover J, Schwiegerling J, Das K. Light scattering, straylight, and optical quality in hydrophobic acrylic intraocular lenses with subsurface nanoglistenings. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2016;42:148-56 pubmed publisher..The Complete Angle Instrument scatterometer was developed by Dr. Stover at the Scatterworks, Inc. Neither of the other authors has a financial or proprietary interest in any method or material mentioned. ..
- Rojo E, Sharma V, Kovaleva V, Raikhel N, Fletcher J. CLV3 is localized to the extracellular space, where it activates the Arabidopsis CLAVATA stem cell signaling pathway. Plant Cell. 2002;14:969-77 pubmed..Apoplastic localization allows CLV3 to signal from the stem cell population to the organizing center in the underlying cells. ..
- Stavrou I, O Halloran T. The monomeric clathrin assembly protein, AP180, regulates contractile vacuole size in Dictyostelium discoideum. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:5381-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that AP180 plays a unique role as a regulator of contractile vacuole morphology and activity in Dictyostelium...
- Eitzen G, Wang L, Thorngren N, Wickner W. Remodeling of organelle-bound actin is required for yeast vacuole fusion. J Cell Biol. 2002;158:669-79 pubmed..This role for actin may extend to other trafficking systems. ..
- Dunn W, Cregg J, Kiel J, van der Klei I, Oku M, Sakai Y, et al. Pexophagy: the selective autophagy of peroxisomes. Autophagy. 2005;1:75-83 pubmed..Utilizing several genetic screens, we have identified a number of genes that are essential for pexophagy. In this review, we will summarize our current knowledge of the molecular events of pexophagy. ..
- Stepp J, Huang K, Lemmon S. The yeast adaptor protein complex, AP-3, is essential for the efficient delivery of alkaline phosphatase by the alternate pathway to the vacuole. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:1761-74 pubmed..We suggest that some AP-3-dependent cargo proteins that regulate late steps in Golgi to vacuole transport are diverted into the Vps pathway allowing completion of transfer to the vacuole in the class E vps mutant. ..
- Breshears M, Kocan K, Johnson E, Panciera R. Light and transmission electron microscopic characteristics of a novel Hepatozoon spp. in naturally infected cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus). Parasitol Res. 2009;105:1327-32 pubmed publisher..This morphologic characterization extends our understanding of this novel Hepatozoon and adds information about the hepatozoa, apicomplexan parasites that infect numerous species...
- Stroupe C, Collins K, Fratti R, Wickner W. Purification of active HOPS complex reveals its affinities for phosphoinositides and the SNARE Vam7p. EMBO J. 2006;25:1579-89 pubmed..Concentration of the HOPS complex at these microdomains may be a key factor for coupling Rab GTPase activation to SNARE complex assembly. ..
- Jun Y, Xu H, Thorngren N, Wickner W. Sec18p and Vam7p remodel trans-SNARE complexes to permit a lipid-anchored R-SNARE to support yeast vacuole fusion. EMBO J. 2007;26:4935-45 pubmed
- Sosa R, Weber M, Wen Y, O Halloran T. A single ? adaptin contributes to AP1 and AP2 complexes and clathrin function in Dictyostelium. Traffic. 2012;13:305-16 pubmed publisher..Our results support the essential contribution of a single ? subunit to the stability and function of AP1 and AP2 in a simple eukaryote. ..
- Gehre L, Gorgette O, Perrinet S, Prevost M, Ducatez M, Giebel A, et al. Sequestration of host metabolism by an intracellular pathogen. elife. 2016;5:e12552 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings we propose that parasitophorous vacuoles not only offer protection but also provide a microorganism-controlled metabolically active compartment essential for redirecting host resources to the pathogens. ..
- Fratti R, Wickner W. Distinct targeting and fusion functions of the PX and SNARE domains of yeast vacuolar Vam7p. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:13133-8 pubmed..The PX domain, through its affinities for phosphoinositides and HOPS, is thus exclusively required for enhancing the targeting of Vam7p rather than for execution of the Vam7p functions in HOPS.SNARE complex assembly and fusion. ..
- Eudes A, Bozzo G, Waller J, Naponelli V, Lim E, Bowles D, et al. Metabolism of the folate precursor p-aminobenzoate in plants: glucose ester formation and vacuolar storage. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:15451-9 pubmed publisher..In total, these data and the fact that isolated mitochondria did not take up [(3)H]pABA-Glc, suggest that the glucose ester represents a storage form of pABA that does not contribute directly to folate synthesis. ..
- Bao W, Kumagai Y, Niu H, Yamaguchi M, Miura K, Rikihisa Y. Four VirB6 paralogs and VirB9 are expressed and interact in Ehrlichia chaffeensis-containing vacuoles. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:278-86 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that E. chaffeensis VirB9, the quadruple VirB6 proteins, and the VirB6-2 80-kDa fragment form a unique molecular subassembly to cooperate in type IV secretion. ..
- Pourcel L, Irani N, Lu Y, Riedl K, Schwartz S, Grotewold E. The formation of Anthocyanic Vacuolar Inclusions in Arabidopsis thaliana and implications for the sequestration of anthocyanin pigments. Mol Plant. 2010;3:78-90 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest novel mechanisms for the formation of sub-vacuolar compartments capable of accumulating anthocyanin pigments. ..
- Brett C, Merz A. Osmotic regulation of Rab-mediated organelle docking. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1072-7 pubmed publisher..By altering the relationship between the organelle surface and its enclosed volume, fusion in turn reduces the risk of membrane rupture. ..
- Hire R, Hua G, Zhang Q, Mishra R, Adang M. Anopheles gambiae Ag55 cell line as a model for Lysinibacillus sphaericus Bin toxin action. J Invertebr Pathol. 2015;132:105-10 pubmed publisher..Presence of Î±-glucosidase gene (Agm3) expression in the Ag55 cells was also confirmed. Thus, Ag55 cells constitute an appropriate model system to decipher the mode of Bin action in mosquito larvae. ..
- Roberts P, Moshitch Moshkovitz S, Kvam E, O TOOLE E, Winey M, Goldfarb D. Piecemeal microautophagy of nucleus in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:129-41 pubmed..These results introduce a novel mode of selective microautophagy that targets nonessential components of the yeast nucleus for degradation and recycling in the vacuole. ..
- Loukin S, Zhou X, Kung C, Saimi Y. A genome-wide survey suggests an osmoprotective role for vacuolar Ca2+ release in cell wall-compromised yeast. FASEB J. 2008;22:2405-15 pubmed publisher..It appears that stress on the cell wall induces Ca(2+) accumulation, adaptively anticipating the need in defense or repair against future stress, including osmotic stress. ..
- Robinson J, Graham T, Emr S. A putative zinc finger protein, Saccharomyces cerevisiae Vps18p, affects late Golgi functions required for vacuolar protein sorting and efficient alpha-factor prohormone maturation. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11:5813-24 pubmed
- Findley A, Weidner E, Carman K, Xu Z, Godbar J. Role of the posterior vacuole in Spraguea lophii (Microsporidia) spore hatching. Folia Parasitol (Praha). 2005;52:111-7 pubmed..A sizeable decrease in nervonic acid levels occurs during and after spore discharge. These data indicate that nervonic acid is discharged from the spore into the external medium during firing along with the catalase and ACOX enzymes...
- Subauste C. Autophagy in immunity against Toxoplasma gondii. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2009;335:251-65 pubmed publisher..CD40-induced autophagy likely contributes to resistance against T. gondii, particularly in neural tissues, the main sites affected by this pathogen. ..
- Huang K, D hondt K, Riezman H, Lemmon S. Clathrin functions in the absence of heterotetrameric adaptors and AP180-related proteins in yeast. EMBO J. 1999;18:3897-908 pubmed..Therefore, alternative mechanisms for clathrin assembly and coated vesicle formation, as well as the role of AP complexes and AP180-related proteins in these processes, must be considered. ..
- Decker B, Wickner W. Enolase activates homotypic vacuole fusion and protein transport to the vacuole in yeast. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:14523-8 pubmed..Its loss results in the mislocalization of enolase and other vacuole fusion proteins. These studies show that enolase stimulates vacuole fusion and that enolase and Bor1p regulate selective protein trafficking to the vacuole. ..
- Bartholomew D, Van Dyk D, Lau S, O Keefe D, Rea P, Viitanen P. Alternate energy-dependent pathways for the vacuolar uptake of glucose and glutathione conjugates. Plant Physiol. 2002;130:1562-72 pubmed
- Lee C, Kim S, McClure B. A pollen protein, NaPCCP, that binds pistil arabinogalactan proteins also binds phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate and associates with the pollen tube endomembrane system. Plant Physiol. 2009;149:791-802 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it could function in the transport of pistil ECM proteins in the pollen tube endomembrane system. ..
- Tsarukyanova I, Drazba J, Fujioka H, Yadav S, Sam Yellowe T. Proteins of the Plasmodium falciparum two transmembrane Maurer's cleft protein family, PfMC-2TM, and the 130 kDa Maurer's cleft protein define different domains of the infected erythrocyte intramembranous network. Parasitol Res. 2009;104:875-91 pubmed publisher..The distribution of the 130 kDa Maurer's cleft protein changes from within the parasite to the clefts during intracellular development as the parasite matures from young trophozoite to segmented schizont. ..
- Eitzen G, Will E, Gallwitz D, Haas A, Wickner W. Sequential action of two GTPases to promote vacuole docking and fusion. EMBO J. 2000;19:6713-20 pubmed..Thus, two GTPases sequentially govern vacuole docking and fusion. ..
- Lovy Wheeler A, Cardenas L, Kunkel J, Hepler P. Differential organelle movement on the actin cytoskeleton in lily pollen tubes. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2007;64:217-32 pubmed..We have not been able to decipher an oscillatory pattern in vacuole motion. Because this motion is dependent on actin and not tubulin, we think this is due to a different myosin from that which drives the ER and mitochondria. ..
- Lee M, Singh K, Snider J, Shenoy A, Paumi C, Stagljar I, et al. The Rho1 GTPase acts together with a vacuolar glutathione S-conjugate transporter to protect yeast cells from oxidative stress. Genetics. 2011;188:859-70 pubmed publisher..Since both Rho1 and Ycf1 belong to highly conserved families of proteins, similar mechanisms may exist in other eukaryotes...
- Robinson J, Klionsky D, Banta L, Emr S. Protein sorting in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: isolation of mutants defective in the delivery and processing of multiple vacuolar hydrolases. Mol Cell Biol. 1988;8:4936-48 pubmed..Together, these data indicate that more than 50 gene products are involved, directly or indirectly, in the process of vacuolar protein sorting. ..
- Diakov T, Kane P. Regulation of vacuolar proton-translocating ATPase activity and assembly by extracellular pH. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:23771-8 pubmed publisher..These results also suggest that integrated pH and metabolic inputs determine the final assembly state and activity of the V-ATPase. ..
- Bhaskar P, Wu L, Busse J, Whitty B, Hamernik A, Jansky S, et al. Suppression of the vacuolar invertase gene prevents cold-induced sweetening in potato. Plant Physiol. 2010;154:939-48 pubmed publisher..Thus, both processing quality and acrylamide problems in potato can be controlled effectively by suppression of the VInv gene through biotechnology or targeted breeding...
- Ulrich P, Jimenez V, Park M, Martins V, Atwood J, Moles K, et al. Identification of contractile vacuole proteins in Trypanosoma cruzi. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18013 pubmed publisher..The CV localization of the proteins investigated revealed potential novel roles of these organelles in phosphate metabolism and provided information on the potential participation of adaptor protein complexes in their biogenesis. ..
- Manandhar S, Ricarte F, Cocca S, Gharakhanian E. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Env7 is a novel serine/threonine kinase 16-related protein kinase and negatively regulates organelle fusion at the lysosomal vacuole. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:526-42 pubmed publisher..We propose that Env7 function in fusion/fission dynamics may be conserved within the endomembrane system. ..
- Jackson D, Stevens T. VMA12 encodes a yeast endoplasmic reticulum protein required for vacuolar H+-ATPase assembly. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:25928-34 pubmed..We propose that Vma12p functions directly in the assembly of the V0 subunits into a complex in the ER, and that assembly is required for the stability of the V0 subunits and their transport as a complex out of this compartment. ..
- Rebbeor J, Connolly G, Dumont M, Ballatori N. ATP-dependent transport of reduced glutathione on YCF1, the yeast orthologue of mammalian multidrug resistance associated proteins. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:33449-54 pubmed..Because of the structural and functional homology between Ycf1p and MRP1 and MRP2, these data support the hypothesis that GSH efflux from mammalian cells is mediated by these membrane proteins...
- Li B, Zhao J, Wang C, Searle J, He T, Yuan C, et al. Ginsenoside Rh2 induces apoptosis and paraptosis-like cell death in colorectal cancer cells through activation of p53. Cancer Lett. 2011;301:185-92 pubmed publisher..Blockage of ROS by NAC or catalase inhibited the activation of NF-?B signaling and enhanced Rh2-induced cell death, suggesting that the anti-cancer effect of Rh2 can be enhanced by antioxidants. ..
- Ortiz D, Ruscitti T, McCue K, Ow D. Transport of metal-binding peptides by HMT1, a fission yeast ABC-type vacuolar membrane protein. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:4721-8 pubmed..Vacuolar uptake of Cd2+ and of a glutathione conjugate were also observed, but are not attributable to HMT1. These studies highlight the importance of the yeast vacuole in detoxification of xenobiotics...
- Eitzen G, Thorngren N, Wickner W. Rho1p and Cdc42p act after Ypt7p to regulate vacuole docking. EMBO J. 2001;20:5650-6 pubmed..Thus, multiple GTPases act in a defined sequence to regulate the docking steps of vacuole fusion. ..
- Eide D, Clark S, Nair T, Gehl M, Gribskov M, Guerinot M, et al. Characterization of the yeast ionome: a genome-wide analysis of nutrient mineral and trace element homeostasis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genome Biol. 2005;6:R77 pubmed..Our results indicate the power of ionomics to identify new aspects of mineral homeostasis and how these data can be used to develop hypotheses regarding the functions of previously uncharacterized genes. ..
- Poustka F, Irani N, Feller A, Lu Y, Pourcel L, Frame K, et al. A trafficking pathway for anthocyanins overlaps with the endoplasmic reticulum-to-vacuole protein-sorting route in Arabidopsis and contributes to the formation of vacuolar inclusions. Plant Physiol. 2007;145:1323-35 pubmed..Taken together, these results provide evidence for an alternative novel mechanism of vesicular transport and vacuolar sequestration of anthocyanins in Arabidopsis...
- Qiao W, Ellis C, Steffen J, Wu C, Eide D. Zinc status and vacuolar zinc transporters control alkaline phosphatase accumulation and activity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol. 2009;72:320-34 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Pho8 receives its metal cofactor in the vacuole rather than in earlier compartments of the secretory pathway. ..
- Eaton C, Cabrera I, Servin J, Wright S, Cox M, Borkovich K. The guanine nucleotide exchange factor RIC8 regulates conidial germination through G? proteins in Neurospora crassa. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48026 pubmed publisher..GNA-2 and GNA-3 localize to both the plasma membrane and vacuoles during early germination, but are then found in intracellular vacuoles later during hyphal outgrowth. ..
- Orsomando G, de la Garza R, Green B, Peng M, Rea P, Ryan T, et al. Plant gamma-glutamyl hydrolases and folate polyglutamates: characterization, compartmentation, and co-occurrence in vacuoles. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:28877-84 pubmed..These data point to a hitherto unsuspected role for vacuoles in folate storage. Furthermore, the paradoxical co-occurrence of GGH and folylpolyglutamates in vacuoles implies that the polyglutamates are somehow protected from GGH attack. ..
- Chaiwongsar S, Otegui M, Jester P, Monson S, Krysan P. The protein kinase genes MAP3K epsilon 1 and MAP3K epsilon 2 are required for pollen viability in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J. 2006;48:193-205 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that MAP3Kepsilon1 is required for the normal functioning of the plasma membrane in developing Arabidopsis pollen. ..
- Hickey C, Stroupe C, Wickner W. The major role of the Rab Ypt7p in vacuole fusion is supporting HOPS membrane association. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:16118-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, although Ypt7p may contribute to other fusion functions, its central role is to bind HOPS to the membrane. ..
- Haas A, Scheglmann D, Lazar T, Gallwitz D, Wickner W. The GTPase Ypt7p of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is required on both partner vacuoles for the homotypic fusion step of vacuole inheritance. EMBO J. 1995;14:5258-70 pubmed..Ypt7p is the first GTPase for which a direct role in organelle inheritance has been established. ..
- Millard P, Roth B, Thi H, Yue S, Haugland R. Development of the FUN-1 family of fluorescent probes for vacuole labeling and viability testing of yeasts. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1997;63:2897-905 pubmed..The conversion of FUN-1 by S. cerevisiae was studied quantitatively by using several techniques, including fluorometry, flow cytometry, and wide-field and confocal laser scanning fluorescence microscopy...
- Kuramitsu H, Qi M, Kang I, Chen W. Role for periodontal bacteria in cardiovascular diseases. Ann Periodontol. 2001;6:41-7 pubmed..Therefore, P. gingivalis exhibits several properties which could play a role in CVD as mediators of LDL oxidation, foam cell formation, and rupture of atherosclerotic plaque. ..
- Downs K. Florence Sabin and the mechanism of blood vessel lumenization during vasculogenesis. Microcirculation. 2003;10:5-25 pubmed..That vacuolation may play a major role in blood vessel formation during vasculogenesis is revisited from the perspective of Florence Sabin's seminal studies in the nascent mesoderm of living chick blastoderms. ..
- Robert S, Zouhar J, Carter C, Raikhel N. Isolation of intact vacuoles from Arabidopsis rosette leaf-derived protoplasts. Nat Protoc. 2007;2:259-62 pubmed..The whole procedure, including protoplast isolation, takes approximately 6 h...
- Ndjamen B, Kang B, Hatsuzawa K, Kima P. Leishmania parasitophorous vacuoles interact continuously with the host cell's endoplasmic reticulum; parasitophorous vacuoles are hybrid compartments. Cell Microbiol. 2010;12:1480-94 pubmed publisher..This implied that molecules that traffic to the ER are transferred to PVs. Moreover the results show that PVs are hybrid compartments that are composed of both host ER and endocytic pathway components. ..
- Xu Z, Sato K, Wickner W. LMA1 binds to vacuoles at Sec18p (NSF), transfers upon ATP hydrolysis to a t-SNARE (Vam3p) complex, and is released during fusion. Cell. 1998;93:1125-34 pubmed..LMA1 is released from vacuoles in a phosphatase-regulated reaction. This LMA1 cycle explains how priming by Sec18p is coupled to t-SNARE stabilization and to fusion. ..
- Sobota J, Ferraro F, Bäck N, Eipper B, Mains R. Not all secretory granules are created equal: Partitioning of soluble content proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:5038-52 pubmed
- Hickey C, Wickner W. HOPS initiates vacuole docking by tethering membranes before trans-SNARE complex assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:2297-305 pubmed publisher..SNAREs further stabilize the associations of HOPS-tethered membranes. HOPS then protects newly formed trans-SNARE complexes from disassembly by Sec17p/Sec18p. ..
- Yanagisawa L, Marchena J, Xie Z, Li X, Poon P, Singer R, et al. Activity of specific lipid-regulated ADP ribosylation factor-GTPase-activating proteins is required for Sec14p-dependent Golgi secretory function in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:2193-206 pubmed
- Compton M, Graham L, Stevens T. Vma9p (subunit e) is an integral membrane V0 subunit of the yeast V-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:15312-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate that Vma9p is an integral membrane subunit of the yeast V-ATPase V0 subcomplex and suggest a model for the arrangement of polypeptides within the V0 subcomplex. ..
- Starai V, Jun Y, Wickner W. Excess vacuolar SNAREs drive lysis and Rab bypass fusion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:13551-8 pubmed..Rabs function in normal membrane fusion by concentrating SNAREs, other proteins (e.g., SM), and key lipids at a fusion site and activating them for fusion without lysis. ..
- Gamarra S, Rocha E, Zhang Y, Park S, Rao R, Perlin D. Mechanism of the synergistic effect of amiodarone and fluconazole in Candida albicans. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:1753-61 pubmed publisher..This dampening resulted in a decrease in total ergosterol levels and decreased pseudohyphal formation, a finding consistent with decreased virulence in a murine candidiasis model. ..
- Xu H, Jun Y, Thompson J, Yates J, Wickner W. HOPS prevents the disassembly of trans-SNARE complexes by Sec17p/Sec18p during membrane fusion. EMBO J. 2010;29:1948-60 pubmed publisher..HOPS thus directs the Sec17p/Sec18p chaperone system to maximize functional trans-SNARE complex for membrane fusion, a new role of tethering factors during membrane traffic. ..
- Ungermann C, von Mollard G, Jensen O, Margolis N, Stevens T, Wickner W. Three v-SNAREs and two t-SNAREs, present in a pentameric cis-SNARE complex on isolated vacuoles, are essential for homotypic fusion. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:1435-42 pubmed..Our data show that vacuole-vacuole fusion requires a cis-SNARE complex of five SNAREs, the t-SNAREs Vam3p and Vam7p and the v-SNAREs Nyv1p, Vti1p, and Ykt6p. ..
- Lin Y, Irani N, Grotewold E. Sub-cellular trafficking of phytochemicals explored using auto-fluorescent compounds in maize cells. BMC Plant Biol. 2003;3:10 pubmed..Together, our studies suggest that the accumulation of auto-fluorescent compounds can provide a powerful tool to dissect the trafficking of phytochemicals, knowledge necessary for the efficient engineering of plant metabolism. ..
- Banuelos M, Moreno D, Olson D, Nguyen Q, Ricarte F, Aguilera Sandoval C, et al. Genomic analysis of severe hypersensitivity to hygromycin B reveals linkage to vacuolar defects and new vacuolar gene functions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2010;56:121-37 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results support linkage between severe hypersensitivity to hygromycin B and vacuolar defects. ..
- Rosado A, Li R, van de Ven W, Hsu E, Raikhel N. Arabidopsis ribosomal proteins control developmental programs through translational regulation of auxin response factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:19537-44 pubmed publisher..Using this approach, we were able to assign unique functions for ARF2, ARF3, and ARF6 in plant development. ..
- Paulsel A, Merz A, Nickerson D. Vps9 family protein Muk1 is the second Rab5 guanosine nucleotide exchange factor in budding yeast. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:18162-71 pubmed publisher..Microscopy and overexpression experiments demonstrate that Vps9 and Muk1 have distinct localization determinants. These experiments establish Muk1 as the second Rab5 GEF in budding yeast. ..
- Voos W, Stevens T. Retrieval of resident late-Golgi membrane proteins from the prevacuolar compartment of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is dependent on the function of Grd19p. J Cell Biol. 1998;140:577-90 pubmed..We conclude that Grd19p is a component of the retrieval machinery that functions by direct interaction with the cytosolic tails of certain TGN membrane proteins during the sorting/budding process at the prevacuolar compartment. ..