Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on vacuolar proton translocating atpases in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: vacuolar proton translocating atpases
- Chen S, Bubb M, Yarmola E, Zuo J, Jiang J, Lee B, et al. Vacuolar H+-ATPase binding to microfilaments: regulation in response to phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase activity and detailed characterization of the actin-binding site in subunit B. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:7988-98 pubmed..This response was fully reversible. The actin binding activities of the B subunits of V-ATPase required 11-amino acid actin-binding motifs that are similar in sequence to the actin-binding site of mammalian profilin I. ..
- Wilkens S, Inoue T, Forgac M. Three-dimensional structure of the vacuolar ATPase. Localization of subunit H by difference imaging and chemical cross-linking. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:41942-9 pubmed..Results from both electron microscopy and cross-linking analysis thus place subunit H near the interface of the V(1) and V(0) domains and suggest a close structural similarity between the V-ATPases of yeast and mammals. ..
- Liu M, Tarsio M, Charsky C, Kane P. Structural and functional separation of the N- and C-terminal domains of the yeast V-ATPase subunit H. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:36978-85 pubmed..The N-terminal domain alone is sufficient for activation of ATP hydrolysis in V(1), but the C-terminal domain is essential for proper communication between the V(1) and V(o) sectors. ..
- Kitagawa N, Mazon H, Heck A, Wilkens S. Stoichiometry of the peripheral stalk subunits E and G of yeast V1-ATPase determined by mass spectrometry. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:3329-37 pubmed..Results from both approaches are in excellent agreement and reveal that the subunit composition of yeast V(1)-ATPase is A(3)B(3)DE(3)FG(3)H. ..
- Jackson D, Stevens T. VMA12 encodes a yeast endoplasmic reticulum protein required for vacuolar H+-ATPase assembly. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:25928-34 pubmed..We propose that Vma12p functions directly in the assembly of the V0 subunits into a complex in the ER, and that assembly is required for the stability of the V0 subunits and their transport as a complex out of this compartment. ..
- Milgrom E, Diab H, Middleton F, Kane P. Loss of vacuolar proton-translocating ATPase activity in yeast results in chronic oxidative stress. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:7125-36 pubmed..The results indicate that V-ATPase activity helps to protect cells from endogenous oxidative stress. ..
- Zuo J, Vergara S, Kohno S, Holliday L. Biochemical and functional characterization of the actin-binding activity of the B subunit of yeast vacuolar H+-ATPase. J Exp Biol. 2008;211:1102-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that actin-binding activity confers on the B subunit of yeast a function that is distinct from its role in the enzymatic activity of the proton pump. ..
- Zhang Z, Inoue T, Forgac M, Wilkens S. Localization of subunit C (Vma5p) in the yeast vacuolar ATPase by immuno electron microscopy. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:2006-10 pubmed..J. Biol. Chem. 279, 41942-41949]. A picture of the vacuolar ATPase stalk domain is emerging in which subunits C and H are positioned to play a role in reversible enzyme dissociation and activity silencing. ..
- Sautin Y, Lu M, Gaugler A, Zhang L, Gluck S. Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-mediated effects of glucose on vacuolar H+-ATPase assembly, translocation, and acidification of intracellular compartments in renal epithelial cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:575-89 pubmed
- Chen J, Skinner M, Shi W, Yu Q, Wildeman A, Chan Y. The 16 kDa subunit of vacuolar H+-ATPase is a novel sarcoglycan-interacting protein. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1772:570-9 pubmed
- Smardon A, Kane P. RAVE is essential for the efficient assembly of the C subunit with the vacuolar H(+)-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:26185-94 pubmed..Our data support a model where RAVE, through its interaction with subunit C, is facilitating V(1) peripheral stalk subunit interactions with V(0) during V-ATPase assembly. ..
- Rizzo J, Tarsio M, Martínez Muñoz G, Kane P. Diploids heterozygous for a vma13Delta mutation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae highlight the importance of V-ATPase subunit balance in supporting vacuolar acidification and silencing cytosolic V1-ATPase activity. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:8521-32 pubmed..The results suggest that balancing levels of subunit H with those of other V-ATPase subunits is critical, both for allowing organelle acidification and for preventing unproductive hydrolysis of cytosolic ATP. ..
- Flannery A, Graham L, Stevens T. Topological characterization of the c, c', and c" subunits of the vacuolar ATPase from the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:39856-62 pubmed
- Sambade M, Kane P. The yeast vacuolar proton-translocating ATPase contains a subunit homologous to the Manduca sexta and bovine e subunits that is essential for function. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:17361-5 pubmed..Based on this evidence, we propose that Vma9p is a genuine subunit of the yeast V-ATPase and that e subunits may be a functionally essential part of all eukaryotic V-ATPases. ..
- Lu M, Vergara S, Zhang L, Holliday L, Aris J, Gluck S. The amino-terminal domain of the E subunit of vacuolar H(+)-ATPase (V-ATPase) interacts with the H subunit and is required for V-ATPase function. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:38409-15 pubmed..Our data demonstrate the physiological significance of the interaction between the E and H subunits of V-ATPase and extend previous studies on the arrangement of subunits on the peripheral stalk of V-ATPase. ..
- Smardon A, Tarsio M, Kane P. The RAVE complex is essential for stable assembly of the yeast V-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:13831-9 pubmed
- Holliday L, Lu M, Lee B, Nelson R, Solivan S, Zhang L, et al. The amino-terminal domain of the B subunit of vacuolar H+-ATPase contains a filamentous actin binding site. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:32331-7 pubmed..In summary, binding sites for F-actin are present in the amino-terminal domains of both isoforms of the B subunit, and likely are responsible for the interaction between V-ATPase and actin filaments in vivo. ..
- Kane P. Introduction: V-ATPases 1992-1998. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 1999;31:3-5 pubmed
- Rebbeor J, Connolly G, Dumont M, Ballatori N. ATP-dependent transport of reduced glutathione on YCF1, the yeast orthologue of mammalian multidrug resistance associated proteins. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:33449-54 pubmed..Because of the structural and functional homology between Ycf1p and MRP1 and MRP2, these data support the hypothesis that GSH efflux from mammalian cells is mediated by these membrane proteins...
- Sethi N, Yan Y, Quek D, Schupbach T, Kang Y. Rabconnectin-3 is a functional regulator of mammalian Notch signaling. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:34757-64 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings define an important role for Rabconnectin-3 and V-ATPase activity in the Notch signaling pathway in mammalian cells. ..
- Huttenhower C, Haley E, Hibbs M, Dumeaux V, Barrett D, Coller H, et al. Exploring the human genome with functional maps. Genome Res. 2009;19:1093-106 pubmed publisher..Our functional maps can be explored using HEFalMp (Human Experimental/Functional Mapper), a web interface allowing interactive visualization and investigation of this large body of information...
- Diab H, Ohira M, Liu M, Cobb E, Kane P. Subunit interactions and requirements for inhibition of the yeast V1-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:13316-25 pubmed publisher..We propose that upon disassembly, the H subunit undergoes a conformational change that inhibits V(1)-ATPase activity and precludes V(0) interactions. ..
- Compton M, Graham L, Stevens T. Vma9p (subunit e) is an integral membrane V0 subunit of the yeast V-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:15312-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate that Vma9p is an integral membrane subunit of the yeast V-ATPase V0 subcomplex and suggest a model for the arrangement of polypeptides within the V0 subcomplex. ..
- Gill S, Chu P, Smethurst P, Pietrantonio P, Ross L. Isolation of the V-ATPase A and c subunit cDNAs from mosquito midgut and Malpighian tubules. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 1998;37:80-90 pubmed publisher..Pileup analysis of various A and c subunits shows that these subunits fall into distinct clusters, including one in which all arthropod proteins are clustered...
- Graham L, Hill K, Stevens T. Assembly of the yeast vacuolar H+-ATPase occurs in the endoplasmic reticulum and requires a Vma12p/Vma22p assembly complex. J Cell Biol. 1998;142:39-49 pubmed..This is the first evidence for a dedicated assembly complex in the ER required for the assembly of an integral membrane protein complex (V-ATPase) as it is transported through the secretory pathway. ..
- Powell B, Graham L, Stevens T. Molecular characterization of the yeast vacuolar H+-ATPase proton pore. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:23654-60 pubmed..Structural differences within the membrane-spanning domains of both V(0) and F(0) may account for the unique properties of the ATP-hydrolyzing V-ATPase compared with the ATP-generating F-type ATP synthase. ..
- Forster C, Kane P. Cytosolic Ca2+ homeostasis is a constitutive function of the V-ATPase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:38245-53 pubmed..This compensation was dependent on calcineurin, and was mediated primarily by Pmc1p. ..
- Pullikuth A, Filippov V, Gill S. Phylogeny and cloning of ion transporters in mosquitoes. J Exp Biol. 2003;206:3857-68 pubmed..Ion transport mechanisms will be discussed from a comparative physiology perspective to gain appreciation of the exquisite mechanisms of mosquito ion regulation. ..
- Zhang Z, Charsky C, Kane P, Wilkens S. Yeast V1-ATPase: affinity purification and structural features by electron microscopy. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:47299-306 pubmed..Vasilyeva, E., and Forgac, M. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274, 31804-31810) indicates that the structure of the isolated V1 from yeast is very similar to the structure of the V1 domain in the intact V-ATPase complex. ..
- Keenan Curtis K, Kane P. Novel vacuolar H+-ATPase complexes resulting from overproduction of Vma5p and Vma13p. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:2716-24 pubmed..Overproduced Vma5p associated with cytosolic V(1) complexes; this association may cause the lethality. ..
- Lu M, Holliday L, Zhang L, Dunn W, Gluck S. Interaction between aldolase and vacuolar H+-ATPase: evidence for direct coupling of glycolysis to the ATP-hydrolyzing proton pump. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:30407-13 pubmed..The direct binding interaction between V-ATPase and aldolase may be a new mechanism for the regulation of the V-ATPase and may underlie the proximal tubule acidification defect in hereditary fructose intolerance. ..
- Kocan K, Zivkovic Z, Blouin E, Naranjo V, Almazan C, Mitra R, et al. Silencing of genes involved in Anaplasma marginale-tick interactions affects the pathogen developmental cycle in Dermacentor variabilis. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:42 pubmed publisher..marginale developmental cycle. These four genes encoded for putative glutathione S-transferase (GST), salivary selenoprotein M (SelM), H+ transporting lysosomal vacuolar proton pump (vATPase) and subolesin...
- Serrano E, Ricofort R, Zuo J, Ochotny N, Manolson M, Holliday L. Regulation of vacuolar H(+)-ATPase in microglia by RANKL. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;389:193-7 pubmed publisher..In summary, microglia express the a3-subunit of V-ATPase. The expression of a3 and the interaction between V-ATPases and microfilaments was modulated by RANKL. These data suggest a novel molecular pathway for regulating microglia. ..
- Hahn Windgassen A, Van Gilst M. The Caenorhabditis elegans HNF4alpha Homolog, NHR-31, mediates excretory tube growth and function through coordinate regulation of the vacuolar ATPase. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000553 pubmed publisher..Our study establishes a new pathway for regulation of excretory cell growth and reveals a novel role for HNF4-type nuclear receptors in the development and function of a renal system. ..
- Asare R, Abu Kwaik Y. Early trafficking and intracellular replication of Legionella longbeachaea within an ER-derived late endosome-like phagosome. Cell Microbiol. 2007;9:1571-87 pubmed..pneumophila. In addition, re-routing biogenesis of the L. pneumophila phagosome into a late endosome controlled by L. longbeachaea has no effect on intracellular replication...
- Landis G, Bhole D, Tower J. A search for doxycycline-dependent mutations that increase Drosophila melanogaster life span identifies the VhaSFD, Sugar baby, filamin, fwd and Cctl genes. Genome Biol. 2003;4:R8 pubmed..Screening for conditional mutations that increase Drosophila life span has identified genes implicated in membrane transport, phospholipid metabolism and signaling, and actin cytoskeleton organization. ..
- Montana V, Ni Y, Sunjara V, Hua X, Parpura V. Vesicular glutamate transporter-dependent glutamate release from astrocytes. J Neurosci. 2004;24:2633-42 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that VGLUTs play a functional role in exocytotic glutamate release from astrocytes. ..
- Choe K, O Brien S, Evans D, Toop T, Edwards S. Immunolocalization of Na+/K+-ATPase, carbonic anhydrase II, and vacuolar H+-ATPase in the gills of freshwater adult lampreys, Geotria australis. J Exp Zool A Comp Exp Biol. 2004;301:654-65 pubmed..A model of ion transport, based on our results, is proposed for adult freshwater lampreys. ..
- ..In this issue of Cell, Hiesinger and coworkers (Hiesinger et al., 2005) present a forward genetic screen that reveals it to be necessary for synaptic vesicle fusion, independent of its role in vesicle acidification. ..
- Batelli G, Verslues P, Agius F, Qiu Q, Fujii H, Pan S, et al. SOS2 promotes salt tolerance in part by interacting with the vacuolar H+-ATPase and upregulating its transport activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:7781-90 pubmed..Our results suggest that regulation of V-ATPase activity is an additional key function of SOS2 in coordinating changes in ion transport during salt stress and in promoting salt tolerance. ..
- Ohira M, Smardon A, Charsky C, Liu J, Tarsio M, Kane P. The E and G subunits of the yeast V-ATPase interact tightly and are both present at more than one copy per V1 complex. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:22752-60 pubmed..J. (1997) J. Biol. Chem. 272, 26787-26793). These results are consistent with recent models showing at least two peripheral stalks connecting the V1 and V0 sectors of the V-ATPase and would allow both stalks to be based on an EG dimer. ..
- Chintagari N, Mishra A, Su L, Wang Y, Ayalew S, Hartson S, et al. Vacuolar ATPase regulates surfactant secretion in rat alveolar type II cells by modulating lamellar body calcium. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9228 pubmed publisher..Our finding revealed a previously unrealized role of V-ATPase in surfactant secretion. ..
- Oot R, Wilkens S. Domain characterization and interaction of the yeast vacuolar ATPase subunit C with the peripheral stator stalk subunits E and G. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:24654-64 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that the high affinity site for EGC interaction is C(head). In addition, we provide evidence that the EGC(head) interaction greatly stabilizes EG heterodimer. ..