Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on treatment outcome in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: treatment outcome
Publications1210 found, 100 shown here
- McMahon M, Mathie T, Stingle N, Romansik E, Vail D, London C. Adjuvant carboplatin and gemcitabine combination chemotherapy postamputation in canine appendicular osteosarcoma. J Vet Intern Med. 2011;25:511-7 pubmed publisher..These results are comparable to those reported for carboplatin monotherapy indicating that the addition of gemcitabine to carboplatin in dogs with appendicular OSA does not appear to improve outcome. ..
- McClung M, Miller P, Brown J, Zanchetta J, Bolognese M, Benhamou C, et al. Efficacy and safety of a novel delayed-release risedronate 35 mg once-a-week tablet. Osteoporos Int. 2012;23:267-76 pubmed publisher..All three regimens were well tolerated. Risedronate 35 mg DR weekly is similar in efficacy and safety to risedronate 5 mg IR daily, and will allow patients to take their weekly risedronate dose immediately after breakfast. ..
- Wiederhold N, Najvar L, Bocanegra R, Kirkpatrick W, Patterson T. Comparison of anidulafungin's and fluconazole's in vivo activity in neutropenic and non-neutropenic models of invasive candidiasis. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012;18:E20-3 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the extent of anidulafungin in vivo efficacy may be dependent on host immune status. ..
- Duarte J, Zineh I, Burkley B, Gong Y, Langaee T, Turner S, et al. Effects of genetic variation in H3K79 methylation regulatory genes on clinical blood pressure and blood pressure response to hydrochlorothiazide. J Transl Med. 2012;10:56 pubmed publisher..Replication efforts are needed to verify roles for these polymorphisms in human blood pressure regulation. ..
- Lashinger L, Harrison L, Rasmussen A, Logsdon C, Fischer S, McArthur M, et al. Dietary energy balance modulation of Kras- and Ink4a/Arf+/--driven pancreatic cancer: the role of insulin-like growth factor-I. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2013;6:1046-55 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, IGF-I and components of its downstream signaling pathway are promising mechanistic targets for breaking the obesity-pancreatic cancer link. ..
- Benjamin M, Towler S, Garcia A, Park H, Sudhyadhom A, Harnish S, et al. A Behavioral Manipulation Engages Right Frontal Cortex During Aphasia Therapy. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2014;28:545-53 pubmed publisher..01) and picture-naming probes (t = 3.77, df = 5, P < .01), but CT patients did not. Conclusions The rightward shift in lateral frontal activity for IT was because of the left-hand movements. IT evoked greater generalization than CT. ..
- Healy A, Stehlik J, Edwards L, McKellar S, Drakos S, Selzman C. Predictors of 30-day post-transplant mortality in patients bridged to transplantation with continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices--An analysis of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation Transplant Registry. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016;35:34-9 pubmed publisher..Despite the inherent complexities of a reoperative surgery, patients bridged to transplant with CF LVADs have excellent peri-operative survival. ..
- Dua A, Desai S, Johnston S, Chinapuvvula N, Wade C, Fox C, et al. The Impact of Geniculate Artery Collateral Circulation on Lower Limb Salvage Rates in Injured Patients. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;30:258-62 pubmed publisher..The geniculate arteries that are associated with the highest rates of limb salvage appear to be the superior lateral geniculate and the inferior medical geniculate artery. ..
- Lakshminrusimha S, Mathew B, Leach C. Pharmacologic strategies in neonatal pulmonary hypertension other than nitric oxide. Semin Perinatol. 2016;40:160-73 pubmed publisher..Large multicenter randomized controlled trials with long-term follow-up are required to evaluate alternate pharmacologic strategies in PPHN. ..
- Calkins A, Gudin J, Gidal B, Jaros M, Kim R, Shang G. Impact of Data Imputation Methodology on Pain Assessment over 24 Hours in a Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study of Gabapentin Enacarbil in Patients with Neuropathic Pain Associated with Postherpetic Neuralgia. Pain Med. 2016;17:728-36 pubmed publisher
- Sartip K, McKenna G, Spina M, Grahovac S. Intracranial hypotension secondary to spinal pathology: Diagnosis and treatment. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2016;143:95-8 pubmed publisher..Treatment includes autologous blood patch and surgery in refractory cases. ..
- Schwarze M, Sayla M, Alexander G. Brief report: do patients with poor outcomes regret having had infrainguinal bypass surgery?. J Surg Res. 2009;151:6-9 pubmed..Retrospection and hindsight bias may lead patients with bad outcomes to regret the choice of infrainguinal bypass surgery...
- Durkin E, Lund D, Shaaban A, Schurr M, Weber S. Age-related differences in diagnosis and morbidity of intestinal malrotation. J Am Coll Surg. 2008;206:658-63 pubmed publisher..020). Intestinal malrotation in adults is often associated with a delay in diagnosis and increased morbidity. Enhanced awareness of this entity in adults may enhance patient counseling and improve therapeutic outcomes in these patients. ..
- Befort C, Klemp J, Austin H, Perri M, Schmitz K, Sullivan D, et al. Outcomes of a weight loss intervention among rural breast cancer survivors. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012;132:631-9 pubmed publisher..The group phone-based treatment delivery approach may help disseminate effective weight control intervention to hard-to-reach breast cancer survivors. ..
- Agarwal A, Yu S, Rehman A, Henkle J. Hyperinsulinemia euglycemia therapy for calcium channel blocker overdose: a case report. Tex Heart Inst J. 2012;39:575-8 pubmed..We suggest that such therapy should be considered early, in conjunction with conventional therapy, for the treatment of calcium channel blocker overdose in patients not responding to initial treatment. ..
- Berglund R, Angermeier K. Combined buccal mucosa graft and genital skin flap for reconstruction of extensive anterior urethral strictures. Urology. 2006;68:707-10; discussion 710 pubmed..The use of longitudinal island flaps and patient repositioning during surgery seemed to contribute to a decreased incidence of local and systemic morbidity. ..
- Poultsides G, Kim C, Orlando R, Peros G, Hallisey M, Vignati P. Angiographic embolization for gastroduodenal hemorrhage: safety, efficacy, and predictors of outcome. Arch Surg. 2008;143:457-61 pubmed publisher..Angiographic failure can be predicted if embolization is performed late, following blood transfusion of more than 6 units, or for rehemorrhage from a previously suture-ligated duodenal ulcer. ..
- Maluccio M, Covey A, Porat L, Schubert J, Brody L, Sofocleous C, et al. Transcatheter arterial embolization with only particles for the treatment of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2008;19:862-9 pubmed publisher..These data support our hypothesis that particles alone may be the critical component of catheter-directed embolotherapy. ..
- Vakil N, Laine L, Talley N, Zakko S, Tack J, Chey W, et al. Tegaserod treatment for dysmotility-like functional dyspepsia: results of two randomized, controlled trials. Am J Gastroenterol. 2008;103:1906-19 pubmed publisher..1%vs 0.3%). Some improvement in dysmotility-like FD was observed with tegaserod treatment. The clinical implication of this improvement is uncertain. ..
- Christie Large M, Evans N, Davies A, James S. Radiofrequency ablation of chondroblastoma: procedure technique, clinical and MR imaging follow up of four cases. Skeletal Radiol. 2008;37:1011-7 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study is to describe the procedure technique, clinical and imaging outcomes of patients treated with radiofrequency ablation for chondroblastoma...
- Chung B, Gill I. Laparoscopic splenorenal venous bypass for nutcracker syndrome. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49:1319-23 pubmed publisher..This report continues to augment the indications for laparoscopic surgery in even complex, urologic vascular situations. ..
- Kendrick M, Nagorney D. Bile duct cysts: contemporary surgical management. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2009;25:240-4 pubmed..This review summarizes the recent progress in the evaluation and treatment of bile duct cysts, particularly in relation to contemporary operative approaches...
- Ghosh P, Loddenkemper T, Blanco M, Marks M, Sabella C, Ghosh D. Holocord spinal epidural abscess. J Child Neurol. 2009;24:768-71 pubmed publisher..At 3 months follow-up, no neurological deficits were present. Only a few case reports of holocord epidural abscess in children have been published. We present a case of conservatively treated holocord spinal abscess in an infant. ..
- Prestwich R, Ilett E, Errington F, Diaz R, Steele L, Kottke T, et al. Immune-mediated antitumor activity of reovirus is required for therapy and is independent of direct viral oncolysis and replication. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:4374-4381 pubmed publisher..The immune response is critical in mediating the efficacy of reovirus, and does not depend upon direct viral oncolysis or replication. The findings are of direct relevance to fulfilling the potential of this novel anticancer agent. ..
- Pasadhika S, Kempen J, Newcomb C, Liesegang T, Pujari S, Rosenbaum J, et al. Azathioprine for ocular inflammatory diseases. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009;148:500-509.e2 pubmed publisher..Treatment-limiting side effects occurred in approximately one-fourth of patients within 1 year, but typically were reversible. ..
- Patel D, Mohanty P, Di Biase L, Wang Y, Shaheen M, Sanchez J, et al. The impact of statins and renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system blockers on pulmonary vein antrum isolation outcomes in post-menopausal females. Europace. 2010;12:322-30 pubmed publisher..Treatment with statins or RAAS inhibitors did not improve catheter ablation success rates among PMFS. Thereby, from a clinical standpoint, PMFS should not be started on these treatments as a procedural 'augmenting agent' at this time. ..
- Bolge S, Waters H, Piech C. Self-reported frequency and severity of disease flares, disease perception, and flare treatments in patients with ulcerative colitis: results of a national internet-based survey. Clin Ther. 2010;32:238-45 pubmed publisher..The majority reported using 5-ASAs or corticosteroids as maintenance medications and increasing the dose or adding corticosteroids to control flares in the short term. ..
- FitzSullivan E, Gries C, Phelan P, Farjah F, Gilbert E, Keech J, et al. Reduction in airway complications after lung transplantation with novel anastomotic technique. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011;92:309-15 pubmed publisher..001) and distal (p=0.03) airway complications. This new anastomotic technique dramatically reduces anastomotic and distal airway complications after lung transplantation. ..
- Blackshear J, Cutlip D, Roubin G, Hill M, Leimgruber P, Begg R, et al. Myocardial infarction after carotid stenting and endarterectomy: results from the carotid revascularization endarterectomy versus stenting trial. Circulation. 2011;123:2571-8 pubmed publisher..URL: http://www.ClinicalTrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00004732. ..
- Gandhi C, El Gengahy A, Cornett Thompson O, Kraus J, Prestigiacomo C. The novel use of Onyx for the rapid treatment of a traumatic carotid injury. J Neurointerv Surg. 2012;4:e18 pubmed publisher..Injection was continued until cast formation completely occluded the proximal cervical ICA but preserved the external carotid artery. This method very rapidly controlled bleeding and should be considered in these cases. ..
- Kumpe D, Bennett J, Seinfeld J, Pelak V, Chawla A, Tierney M. Dural sinus stent placement for idiopathic intracranial hypertension. J Neurosurg. 2012;116:538-48 pubmed publisher..Stent placement is durable and successfully eliminates papilledema in appropriately selected patients. Continuing hemodynamic success in this series was 80%, and was 87% with repeat stent placement in 1 patient. ..
- Mohanka M, Khemasuwan D, Stoller J. A review of augmentation therapy for alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2012;12:685-700 pubmed publisher..We conclude with a discussion of our approach to managing patients with AATD and use of augmentation therapy. ..
- Peyrani P, Allen M, Seligson D, Roberts C, Chen A, Haque N, et al. Clinical outcomes of osteomyelitis patients infected with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus USA-300 strains. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2012;41:117-22 pubmed..With current surgical and medical management, outcomes of patients with MRSA USA-300 osteomyelitis are similar to those of patients with MRSA non-USA-300 osteomyelitis. ..
- Reddy K, Westerly D, Chen C. MRI patterns of T1 enhancing radiation necrosis versus tumour recurrence in high-grade gliomas. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2013;57:349-55 pubmed publisher..Identifying distinct patterns of contrast enhancement on MRI may help to differentiate between radiation necrosis and tumour recurrence in high-grade gliomas. ..
- Fu R, Selph S, McDonagh M, Peterson K, Tiwari A, Chou R, et al. Effectiveness and harms of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 in spine fusion: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2013;158:890-902 pubmed publisher..Earlier disclosure of all relevant data would have better informed clinicians and the public than the initial published trial reports did. Yale University and Medtronic. ..
- Hwang N, Nandra R, Grimer R, Carter S, Tillman R, Abudu A, et al. Massive endoprosthetic replacement for bone metastases resulting from renal cell carcinoma: factors influencing patient survival. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2014;40:429-34 pubmed publisher..Surgery remains the main treatment of bone metastases due to renal cell carcinoma (RCC). We reviewed 135 patients treated with resection and endoprosthetic replacement (EPR) and examined clinico-pathological factors predicting survival...
- Lidor A, Ensor C, Sheer A, Orens J, Clarke J, McDyer J. Domperidone for delayed gastric emptying in lung transplant recipients with and without gastroesophageal reflux. Prog Transplant. 2014;24:27-32 pubmed publisher..No adverse effects were observed in any patients treated with domperidone. Results indicate that domperidone can be used safely and may improve symptoms related to delayed gastric emptying in lung transplant recipients. ..
- McElroy S, Hudson J, Ferreira Cornwell M, Radewonuk J, Whitaker T, Gasior M. Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate for Adults with Moderate to Severe Binge Eating Disorder: Results of Two Pivotal Phase 3 Randomized Controlled Trials. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016;41:1251-60 pubmed publisher..LDX (50 and 70â€‰mg/day) was superior to placebo in decreasing binge eating days/week from baseline and improving binge eating-related key secondary endpoints. Safety results appear consistent with the known safety profile of LDX. ..
- Naglich A, Nelson L, Iuppa C, Diefenderfer L, Elliott E, Sommi R. Plasma Insulin Level Correlation to Metabolic Parameter Shifts in Hospitalized Psychiatric Patients. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord. 2017;19: pubmed publisher..The results do not support routine use of plasma insulin as a predictor for shifts in metabolic parameters in patients receiving antipsychotic medications. ..
- Stanley G. Partial distal deployment for precise placement of the GORE Thoracic Endoprosthesis. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:661-665 pubmed publisher..A discussion of the usefulness of this technique and potential pitfalls is included. ..
- Elphinstone R, Besla R, Shikatani E, Lu Z, Hausladen A, Davies M, et al. S-Nitrosoglutathione Reductase Deficiency Confers Improved Survival and Neurological Outcome in Experimental Cerebral Malaria. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..These data indicate a role for GSNOR in the host response to malaria infection and suggest that strategies to disrupt its activity will improve clinical outcomes by enhancing microvascular integrity and modulating T cell tissue tropism. ..
- Wiseman D, Trout J, Franklin R, Diamond M. Metaanalysis of the safety and efficacy of an adhesion barrier (Interceed TC7) in laparotomy. J Reprod Med. 1999;44:325-31 pubmed..The barrier significantly reduced the incidence and extent of adhesions as compared with no treatment, confirming the conclusion from individual studies that it is safe and effective in pelvic laparotomy surgery. ..
- Lemmer J, Metzdorff M, Krause A, Martin M, Okies J, Hill J. Emergency coronary artery bypass graft surgery in abciximab-treated patients. Ann Thorac Surg. 2000;69:90-5 pubmed..Prophylactic transfusion of platelets after protamine administration appears to be useful. ..
- Rehm S, Graham D, Srinath L, Prokocimer P, Richard M, Talbot G. Successful administration of quinupristin/dalfopristin in the outpatient setting. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2001;47:639-45 pubmed..In this group of patients, for those who had difficult-to-treat infections, intravenous quinupristin/dalfopristin therapy was generally effective and safe outside the hospital setting. ..
- Rich P, Houpt K, LaMarca A, Loven K, Marbury T, Matheson R, et al. Safety and efficacy of short-duration oral terbinafine for the treatment of tinea corporis or tinea cruris in subjects with HIV infection or diabetes. Cutis. 2001;68:15-22 pubmed..Results of these small series indicate that a short course of oral terbinafine 250 mg once daily is a safe and effective treatment for tinea corporis or tinea cruris in subjects with HIV infection or diabetes. ..
- Schlesinger N, Detry M, Holland B, Baker D, Beutler A, Rull M, et al. Local ice therapy during bouts of acute gouty arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2002;29:331-4 pubmed..To evaluate the effect of local application of ice on duration and severity of acute gouty arthritis...
- Nasrallah H, Tandon R. Efficacy, safety, and tolerability of quetiapine in patients with schizophrenia. J Clin Psychiatry. 2002;63 Suppl 13:12-20 pubmed..This article will review the clinical trials examining the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of quetiapine in the treatment of patients with schizophrenia. ..
- Henry J, Zaugg T, Schechter M. Clinical guide for audiologic tinnitus management II: Treatment. Am J Audiol. 2005;14:49-70 pubmed..This article can serve as a practical clinical guide for audiologists to provide treatment for tinnitus in a uniform manner. ..
- Martinez Silvestrini J, Newcomer K, Gay R, Schaefer M, Kortebein P, Arendt K. Chronic lateral epicondylitis: comparative effectiveness of a home exercise program including stretching alone versus stretching supplemented with eccentric or concentric strengthening. J Hand Ther. 2005;18:411-9, quiz 420 pubmed..Further studies are needed to assess the unique effects of a more intense or longer eccentric strengthening program for patients with lateral epicondylitis...
- Sewell R, Halpern J, Pope H. Response of cluster headache to psilocybin and LSD. Neurology. 2006;66:1920-2 pubmed..Research on the effects of psilocybin and LSD on cluster headache may be warranted. ..
- Wolfe S, Garg M, Cumberbatch N, Furst C, Martinez M, Hernandez M, et al. Optimizing the transplant dose of a human neuronal cell line graft to treat SCI pain in the rat. Neurosci Lett. 2007;414:121-5 pubmed..Reduced transplant doses of the hNT2.17 cell line did not permanently reverse behavioral hypersensitivity, suggesting that there is an optimal dose that can be used as a clinical tool to treat SCI-associated neuropathic pain. ..
- Takahide K, Parker P, Wu M, Hwang W, Carpenter P, Moravec C, et al. Use of fluid-ventilated, gas-permeable scleral lens for management of severe keratoconjunctivitis sicca secondary to chronic graft-versus-host disease. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2007;13:1016-21 pubmed..0) after SL fitting. Disability related to KCS resolved in 7 patients after SL fitting. The use of SL appears to be safe and effective in patients with severe cGVHD-related KCS refractory to conventional therapies...
- Pikov V, Bullara L, McCreery D. Intraspinal stimulation for bladder voiding in cats before and after chronic spinal cord injury. J Neural Eng. 2007;4:356-68 pubmed..We speculate that in the absence of the supraspinal connections, the plasticity in the local spinal circuitry played a role in the improved responsiveness to intraspinal stimulation. ..
- Martin T, Hartnett J, Jacobson D, Gross J. Care of a parturient with preeclampsia, morbid obesity, and Crouzon's syndrome. Int J Obstet Anesth. 2008;17:177-81 pubmed publisher..After delivery of the infant, tracheostomy was performed to provide a secure airway until the supraglottic edema resolved over the subsequent two weeks. The airway implications of preeclampsia and Crouzon's syndrome are reviewed. ..
- Hanel R, Brasiliense L, Spetzler R. Microsurgical revascularization of proximal vertebral artery: a single-center, single-operator analysis. Neurosurgery. 2009;64:1043-50; discussion 1051 pubmed publisher..Randomized studies are needed to compare the efficacy of surgical revascularization and stenting, especially drug-eluting stents, for this indication. ..
- Bruce R, Altice F, Moody D, Lin S, Fang W, Sabo J, et al. Pharmacokinetic interactions between buprenorphine/naloxone and tipranavir/ritonavir in HIV-negative subjects chronically receiving buprenorphine/naloxone. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2009;105:234-9 pubmed publisher..BUP/NLX and TPV/r should therefore be used cautiously to avoid decreased efficacy of TPV in patients taking these agents concomitantly...
- Kostrzewa J, Lancaster W, Iseli T, Desmond R, Carroll W, Rosenthal E. Outcomes of salvage surgery with free flap reconstruction for recurrent oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Laryngoscope. 2010;120:267-72 pubmed publisher..Concurrent nodal recurrence and short disease-free interval are associated with reduced cure rates. A significant proportion will require enterogastric feeding and few will tolerate a normal diet. ..
- Kent M, Eagleson J, Neravanda D, Schatzberg S, Gruenenfelder F, Platt S. Intraaxial spinal cord hemorrhage secondary to atlantoaxial subluxation in a dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2010;46:132-7 pubmed..Surgical stabilization was pursued. Postoperatively, the dog regained the ability to ambulate. This report details the imaging findings and management of a dog with intraaxial spinal cord hemorrhage secondary to AA subluxation. ..
- Fox J, Krambeck A, McPhail E, Lightner D. Ureteroarterial fistula treatment with open surgery versus endovascular management: long-term outcomes. J Urol. 2011;185:945-50 pubmed publisher..Regardless of therapy, patients are at risk for recurrent bleeding, lower extremity complications and stent/graft complications. The use of antibiotics and long-term anticoagulant therapy appear prudent but not proved. ..
- Vallier H, Cureton B, Patterson B. Randomized, prospective comparison of plate versus intramedullary nail fixation for distal tibia shaft fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2011;25:736-41 pubmed publisher..The effect of fibula fixation on tibia healing deserves further study. Economic assessment and functional outcomes data for this population will help to enhance our treatment decision-making. ..
- Czuczman M, Leonard J, Jung S, Johnson J, Hsi E, Byrd J, et al. Phase II trial of galiximab (anti-CD80 monoclonal antibody) plus rituximab (CALGB 50402): Follicular Lymphoma International Prognostic Index (FLIPI) score is predictive of upfront immunotherapy responsiveness. Ann Oncol. 2012;23:2356-62 pubmed publisher..In addition, this trial served as the initial platform for additional CALGB 'doublet' combination regimes of rituximab plus other novel targeted agents. ..
- Nash V, Ponto J, Townsend C, Nelson P, Bretz M. Cognitive behavioral therapy, self-efficacy, and depression in persons with chronic pain. Pain Manag Nurs. 2013;14:e236-e243 pubmed publisher..Ninety-three percent of the participants expressed satisfaction with the CBT groups. This evidence-based practice is well supported in the literature and can be implemented with knowledgeable staff and engaged stakeholders. ..
- DePew Z, Iqbal S, Mullon J, Nichols F, Maldonado F. The role for tunneled indwelling pleural catheters in patients with persistent benign chylothorax. Am J Med Sci. 2013;346:349-52 pubmed publisher..Utilization of a TIPC for the management of persistent benign chylothorax should be considered early because pleurodesis may be frequently and safely achieved in this patient population. ..
- Noël V, Woods M, Routhier J, Drake R. Planning Treatment and Assessing Recovery in Participants With Dual Diagnosis: Preliminary Evaluation of a New Clinical Tool. J Dual Diagn. 2016;12:55-62 pubmed publisher..The inventory appears to be usable, well received by participants and care managers, specific for program goals, and sensitive to changes in the participants. Recovery measures may need to be program-specific. ..
- Gordon M, Lewis L, Brown J, Danilov A. Bendamustine hydrochloride in patients with B-cell malignancies who have comorbidities - is there an optimal dose?. Expert Rev Hematol. 2017;10:707-718 pubmed publisher..Even with the introduction of targeted therapies, bendamustine will likely continue to be an important therapeutic option in patients with comorbidities because of its tolerability, efficacy and cost. ..
- Kantarjian H, Roboz G, Kropf P, Yee K, O Connell C, Tibes R, et al. Guadecitabine (SGI-110) in treatment-naive patients with acute myeloid leukaemia: phase 2 results from a multicentre, randomised, phase 1/2 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:1317-1326 pubmed publisher..A phase 3 study in this patient population is ongoing (NCT02348489) to assess guadecitabine 60 mg/m2 in a 5-day schedule versus standard of care. Astex Pharmaceuticals and Stand Up To Cancer. ..
- Harrison C, Mead A, Panchal A, Fox S, Yap C, Gbandi E, et al. Ruxolitinib vs best available therapy for ET intolerant or resistant to hydroxycarbamide. Blood. 2017;130:1889-1897 pubmed publisher..The MAJIC-ET trial suggests that ruxolitinib is not superior to current second-line treatments for ET. This trial was registered at www.isrctn.com as #ISRCTN61925716...
- Adler D, Baron T. Endoscopic palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstruction using self-expanding metal stents: experience in 36 patients. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002;97:72-8 pubmed..Malignant gastric outlet obstruction is seen in the setting of a variety of cancers, most commonly pancreatic. Self-expanding metal stents can be used to palliate these patients and restore the ability to eat...
- Gremillion H, Waxenberg L, Myers C, Benson M. Psychological considerations in the diagnosis and management of temporomandibular disorders and orofacial pain. Gen Dent. 2003;51:168-72; quiz 173-4 pubmed..This article will discuss the importance of including clinical and health psychology as a part of the health care team. ..
- Sadeghi Nejad H, Ilbeigi P, Wilson S, Delk J, Siegel A, Seftel A, et al. Multi-institutional outcome study on the efficacy of closed-suction drainage of the scrotum in three-piece inflatable penile prosthesis surgery. Int J Impot Res. 2005;17:535-8 pubmed
- McAchran S, Palmer J. Bilateral extravesical ureteral reimplantation in toilet trained children: Is 1-day hospitalization without urinary retention possible?. J Urol. 2005;174:1991-3; discussion 1993 pubmed
- Husein O, Massick D. Cricoid palpability as a selection criterion for bedside tracheostomy. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005;133:839-44 pubmed..These findings will aid in the development of protocols and pathways for surgical airway management in critically ill patients to maximize cost-effective, high-quality care. ..
- Fowler J. Combined effect of anti-inflammatory dose doxycycline (40-mg doxycycline, usp monohydrate controlled-release capsules) and metronidazole topical gel 1% in the treatment of rosacea. J Drugs Dermatol. 2007;6:641-5 pubmed..Combination therapy significantly reduced inflammatory lesion counts as early as week 4 and through week 12 compared to topical metronidazole 1% gel monotherapy. The combined therapy appeared effective and well-tolerated. ..
- Khan Q, Reddy P, Kimler B, Sharma P, Baxa S, O Dea A, et al. Effect of vitamin D supplementation on serum 25-hydroxy vitamin D levels, joint pain, and fatigue in women starting adjuvant letrozole treatment for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;119:111-8 pubmed publisher..Vitamin D3 supplementation with 50,000 IU per week is safe, significantly increases 25OHD levels, and may reduce disability from AI-induced arthralgias. ..
- Jones D, Mendenhall C, Kirwan J, Morris C, Donnan A, Holwerda S, et al. Radiation therapy for management of t1-t2 glottic cancer at a private practice. Am J Clin Oncol. 2010;33:587-90 pubmed publisher..The addition of concomitant weekly cisplatin 30 mg/M² is considered for patients with T2B cancers. Open parotid laryngectomy is reserved for salvage of suitable patients with a local recurrence. ..
- Senousy B, Gupte A, Draganov P, Forsmark C, Wagh M. Fully covered Alimaxx esophageal metal stents in the endoscopic treatment of benign esophageal diseases. Dig Dis Sci. 2010;55:3399-403 pubmed publisher..Stent migration was successfully managed endoscopically without complications. ..
- Geisler D, Kirat H, Remzi F. Single-port laparoscopic total proctocolectomy with ileal pouch-anal anastomosis: initial operative experience. Surg Endosc. 2011;25:2175-8 pubmed publisher..All patients had their ileostomies closed. RP/IPAA using SPLS is a safe technique. Additional studies are needed to compare SPLS to conventional laparoscopy and open surgery with respect to operative times, convalescence, and outcomes. ..
- Hunger S, Raetz E, Loh M, Mullighan C. Improving outcomes for high-risk ALL: translating new discoveries into clinical care. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2011;56:984-93 pubmed publisher..These data indicated that the genetic basis of HR-ALL is multifactorial, and have also provided a new potential therapeutic option directed at JAK inhibition. ..
- Swanstrom L, Rieder E, Dunst C. A stepwise approach and early clinical experience in peroral endoscopic myotomy for the treatment of achalasia and esophageal motility disorders. J Am Coll Surg. 2011;213:751-6 pubmed publisher..Although further evaluation and long-term data are mandatory, POEM could become the treatment of choice for symptomatic achalasia. ..
- Reed S, Guthrie K, Joffe H, Shifren J, Seguin R, Freeman E. Sexual function in nondepressed women using escitalopram for vasomotor symptoms: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2012;119:527-38 pubmed publisher..02) and a marginal nonsignificant difference in orgasm (P=.07). Escitalopram, when used in the treatment of vasomotor symptoms, did not worsen overall sexual function among nondepressed midlife women. ..
- Vinik A, Cincotta A, Scranton R, Bohannon N, Ezrokhi M, Gaziano J. Effect of bromocriptine-QR on glycemic control in subjects with uncontrolled hyperglycemia on one or two oral anti-diabetes agents. Endocr Pract. 2012;18:931-43 pubmed publisher..In T2DM subjects whose hyperglycemia is poorly controlled on one or two oral agents, bromocriptine-QR therapy for 24 weeks can provide significant added improvement in glycemic control relative to adding placebo. ..
- Hernandez Montfort J, Arora S, Slawsky M. Relaxin for treatment of acute heart failure: making the case for treating targeted patient profiles. Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2013;10:198-203 pubmed publisher..A focused study design targeting specific patient profiles should be considered for future clinical AHF trials that investigate new therapies or compare the effectiveness of existing therapies. ..
- Dueck A, Reinholz M, Geiger X, Tenner K, Ballman K, Jenkins R, et al. Impact of c-MYC protein expression on outcome of patients with early-stage HER2+ breast cancer treated with adjuvant trastuzumab NCCTG (alliance) N9831. Clin Cancer Res. 2013;19:5798-807 pubmed publisher..56 (P = 0.02) and 0.89 (P = 0.49), respectively (P(interaction) = 0.17). Our data do not support an impact of tumor MYC protein expression on differential benefit from adjuvant trastuzumab. ..
- Vincent A, Whipple M, Oh T, Guderian J, Barton D, Luedtke C. Early experience with a brief, multimodal, multidisciplinary treatment program for fibromyalgia. Pain Manag Nurs. 2013;14:228-235 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed and is planned to test the clinical efficacy of this program and compare it with other interventions. ..
- Berk J, Suhr O, Obici L, Sekijima Y, Zeldenrust S, Yamashita T, et al. Repurposing diflunisal for familial amyloid polyneuropathy: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2013;310:2658-67 pubmed publisher..Although longer-term follow-up studies are needed, these findings suggest benefit of this treatment for familial amyloid polyneuropathy. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00294671. ..
- Adeoye O, Sucharew H, Khoury J, Tomsick T, Khatri P, Palesch Y, et al. Recombinant tissue-type plasminogen activator plus eptifibatide versus recombinant tissue-type plasminogen activator alone in acute ischemic stroke: propensity score-matched post hoc analysis. Stroke. 2015;46:461-4 pubmed publisher..A phase III trial to establish the efficacy of r-tPA plus eptifibatide for improving AIS outcomes is warranted. ..
- Taplin S, Weaver S, Salas E, Chollette V, Edwards H, Bruinooge S, et al. Reviewing cancer care team effectiveness. J Oncol Pract. 2015;11:239-46 pubmed publisher..Further research should focus on the association between team processes and structures, efficiency in delivery of care, and mortality. ..