Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on transcription factors in Finland
Topic: transcription factors
Publications137 found, 100 shown here
- Rabergh C, Airaksinen S, Soitamo A, Bjorklund H, Johansson T, Nikinmaa M, et al. Tissue-specific expression of zebrafish (Danio rerio) heat shock factor 1 mRNAs in response to heat stress. J Exp Biol. 2000;203:1817-24 pubmed..We present evidence for a unique tissue-specific regulation of HSF1 upon exposure to elevated temperature. ..
- Levallet J, Koskimies P, Rahman N, Huhtaniemi I. The promoter of murine follicle-stimulating hormone receptor: functional characterization and regulation by transcription factor steroidogenic factor 1. Mol Endocrinol. 2001;15:80-92 pubmed..These findings provide further evidence for the key role of SF-1 in the regulation of genes involved in gonadal differentiation and endocrine functions. ..
- Pikkarainen S, Tokola H, Majalahti Palviainen T, Kerkela R, Hautala N, Bhalla S, et al. GATA-4 is a nuclear mediator of mechanical stretch-activated hypertrophic program. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:23807-16 pubmed..These results show that activation of GATA-4, in cooperation with a factor binding on Nkx-2.5 binding element, is essential for mechanical stretch-induced cardiomyocyte hypertrophy. ..
- Rahman N, Kiiveri S, Siltanen S, Levallet J, Kero J, Lensu T, et al. Adrenocortical tumorigenesis in transgenic mice: the role of luteinizing hormone receptor and transcription factors GATA-4 and GATA-61. Reprod Biol. 2001;1:5-9 pubmed
- Kivinen A, Patrikainen L, Kurkela R, Porvari K, Vihko P. USF2 is connected to GAAAATATGATA element and associates with androgen receptor-dependent transcriptional regulation in prostate. Prostate. 2004;59:190-202 pubmed..The protein complex binding to the GAAAATATGATA site does not have a significant independent function, but may interact with AR if GAAAATATGATA is physically close to the ARE and enhances the transactivation function of AR. ..
- Dunlop T, Väisänen S, Frank C, Carlberg C. The genes of the coactivator TIF2 and the corepressor SMRT are primary 1alpha,25(OH)2D3 targets. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2004;89-90:257-60 pubmed..We suggest that some or all of these DR3-type VDREs are responsible for the observed responsiveness of TIF2 and SMRT to 1alpha,25(OH)(2)D(3). ..
- Tuovinen H, Pöntynen N, Gylling M, Kekäläinen E, Perheentupa J, Miettinen A, et al. gammadelta T cells develop independently of Aire. Cell Immunol. 2009;257:5-12 pubmed publisher..The antigens responsible for gammadelta and alphabeta T cell selection are thus probably largely different. ..
- Jaspers P, Overmyer K, Wrzaczek M, Vainonen J, Blomster T, Salojärvi J, et al. The RST and PARP-like domain containing SRO protein family: analysis of protein structure, function and conservation in land plants. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:170 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, the function of SROs is critical for plants and might be related to transcription factor regulation and complex formation. ..
- Wrzaczek M, Brosché M, Kangasjärvi J. ROS signaling loops - production, perception, regulation. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2013;16:575-82 pubmed publisher..Direct redox modification of transcription factors and other proteins are critical for the perception of intracellular reactive oxygen species; however, sensing of their extracellular counterparts awaits elucidation. ..
- MÃ¤kelÃ¤ J, Tselykh T, Kukkonen J, Eriksson O, Korhonen L, Lindholm D. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-Î³ (PPARÎ³) agonist is neuroprotective and stimulates PGC-1Î± expression and CREB phosphorylation in human dopaminergic neurons. Neuropharmacology. 2016;102:266-75 pubmed publisher..This supports the view that drugs acting on the PPARÎ³-PGC-1Î± signaling in neurons may have beneficial effects in PD and possible also in other brain disorders. ..
- Rice D, Aberg T, Chan Y, Tang Z, Kettunen P, Pakarinen L, et al. Integration of FGF and TWIST in calvarial bone and suture development. Development. 2000;127:1845-55 pubmed..We propose a model of osteoblast differentiation integrating Twist and FGF in the same pathway, in which FGF acts both at early and late stages. Disruption of this pathway may lead to craniosynostosis...
- Kolehmainen M, Uusitupa M, Alhava E, Laakso M, Vidal H. Effect of the Pro12Ala polymorphism in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) gamma2 gene on the expression of PPARgamma target genes in adipose tissue of massively obese subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:1717-22 pubmed..Expression of both PPARgamma splice variants is dependent on fat depot: omental fat shows lower mRNA levels, compared with sc fat depots. ..
- Yki Jarvinen H. Thiazolidinediones. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:1106-18 pubmed
- Lindholm D, Eriksson O, Mäkelä J, Belluardo N, Korhonen L. PGC-1?: a master gene that is hard to master. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2012;69:2465-8 pubmed publisher..How is this to be understood, and can these seemingly conflicting findings tell us something about the role of PGC-1? in cell stress and in control of neuronal homeostasis? ..
- Jaakola L, Poole M, Jones M, Kämäräinen Karppinen T, Koskimäki J, Hohtola A, et al. A SQUAMOSA MADS box gene involved in the regulation of anthocyanin accumulation in bilberry fruits. Plant Physiol. 2010;153:1619-29 pubmed publisher..We conclude that VmTDR4 plays an important role in the accumulation of anthocyanins during normal ripening in bilberry, probably through direct or indirect control of transcription factors belonging to the R2R3 MYB family. ..
- Hirvonen S, Santti H, Janne O, Palvimo J. GC-rich elements flanking the transcription start site govern strong activation on the SNURF gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;291:897-902 pubmed..Furthermore, our results show that the Wilms' tumor 1 gene product is one of the potential activators of the SNURF gene. ..
- Poukka H, Aarnisalo P, Santti H, Janne O, Palvimo J. Coregulator small nuclear RING finger protein (SNURF) enhances Sp1- and steroid receptor-mediated transcription by different mechanisms. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:571-9 pubmed..Collectively, SNURF modulates the transcriptional activities of androgen receptor and Sp1 via different domains, and it may act as a functional link between steroid- and Sp1-regulated transcription. ..
- Furuta K, Lichtenberger R, Helariutta Y. The role of mobile small RNA species during root growth and development. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2012;24:211-6 pubmed publisher..In this review, we highlight the presence of small RNA species as an emerging class of important mobile signals associated with the growth and development of the root. ..
- Carlberg C. Molecular basis of the selective activity of vitamin D analogues. J Cell Biochem. 2003;88:274-81 pubmed..This provides them with some selectivity for DNA-dependent and -independent signaling pathways and VDRE structures. ..
- Glazova M, Aho T, Palmetshofer A, Murashov A, Scheinin M, Koskinen P. Pim-1 kinase enhances NFATc activity and neuroendocrine functions in PC12 cells. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2005;138:116-23 pubmed..Interestingly, Pim-1 can synergize with forskolin-induced signaling pathways to stimulate also neuroendocrine functions of PC12 cells. ..
- Karvonen U, Janne O, Palvimo J. Androgen receptor regulates nuclear trafficking and nuclear domain residency of corepressor HDAC7 in a ligand-dependent fashion. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:3165-83 pubmed..In sum, our results identify HDAC7 as a novel AR corepressor whose subcellular and subnuclear compartmentalization can be regulated in an androgen-selective manner. ..
- Manna P, Tena Sempere M, Huhtaniemi I. Molecular mechanisms of thyroid hormone-stimulated steroidogenesis in mouse leydig tumor cells. Involvement of the steroidogenic acute regulatory (StAR) protein. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:5909-18 pubmed
- Huang D, Jokela M, Tuusa J, Skog S, Poikonen K, Syvaoja J. E2F mediates induction of the Sp1-controlled promoter of the human DNA polymerase epsilon B-subunit gene POLE2. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:2810-21 pubmed..Mitogenic activation of the POLE2 promoter by an E2F-mediated mechanism resembles that of POLA2, but the regulation of basal promoter activity is different between these two genes. ..
- Laurikkala J, Pispa J, Jung H, Nieminen P, Mikkola M, Wang X, et al. Regulation of hair follicle development by the TNF signal ectodysplasin and its receptor Edar. Development. 2002;129:2541-53 pubmed..In conclusion, we suggest that Eda and Edar are associated with the onset of ectodermal patterning and that ectodysplasin/edar signaling also regulates the morphogenesis of hair follicles. ..
- Tenhunen O, Sarman B, Kerkela R, Szokodi I, Papp L, Toth M, et al. Mitogen-activated protein kinases p38 and ERK 1/2 mediate the wall stress-induced activation of GATA-4 binding in adult heart. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:24852-60 pubmed..In conclusion, the present study demonstrates that both p38 and extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase are required for the stretch-induced GATA-4 binding in intact heart. ..
- Lempiäinen H, Molnár F, Macias Gonzalez M, PERAKYLA M, Carlberg C. Antagonist- and inverse agonist-driven interactions of the vitamin D receptor and the constitutive androstane receptor with corepressor protein. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:2258-72 pubmed
- Akerfelt M, Henriksson E, Laiho A, Vihervaara A, Rautoma K, Kotaja N, et al. Promoter ChIP-chip analysis in mouse testis reveals Y chromosome occupancy by HSF2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:11224-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings define a physiological role for HSF2 in the regulation of MSYq resident genes and the quality of sperm...
- Rouleau N, Domans kyi A, Reeben M, Moilanen A, Havas K, Kang Z, et al. Novel ATPase of SNF2-like protein family interacts with androgen receptor and modulates androgen-dependent transcription. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:2106-19 pubmed..ARIP4 mutants devoid of ATPase activity fail to alter DNA topology and behave as trans-dominant negative regulators of AR function in transient assays. ..
- Mäkinen J, Reinisalo M, Niemi K, Viitala P, Jyrkkärinne J, Chung H, et al. Dual action of oestrogens on the mouse constitutive androstane receptor. Biochem J. 2003;376:465-72 pubmed..These findings offer an alternative explanation for the recently suggested nuclear activation step of mCAR. ..
- Airaksinen S, Jokilehto T, Råbergh C, Nikinmaa M. Heat- and cold-inducible regulation of HSP70 expression in zebrafish ZF4 cells. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2003;136:275-82 pubmed..Furthermore, the response in ZF4 cells upon heat shock resembles the response observed in zebrafish liver and thus, supports the use of this cell line in stress response studies. ..
- Naukkarinen J, Gentile M, Soro Paavonen A, Saarela J, Koistinen H, Pajukanta P, et al. USF1 and dyslipidemias: converging evidence for a functional intronic variant. Hum Mol Genet. 2005;14:2595-605 pubmed..Importantly, apolipoprotein E (APOE) is the most downregulated gene in the risk individuals, linking the potential risk alleles of USF1 with the impaired APOE-dependent catabolism of atherogenic lipoprotein particles. ..
- Hyytiäinen H, Montesano M, Palva E. Global regulators ExpA (GacA) and KdgR modulate extracellular enzyme gene expression through the RsmA-rsmB system in Erwinia carotovora subsp. carotovora. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2001;14:931-8 pubmed..This study indicates a central role for the RsmA-rsmB regulatory system during pathogenesis, integrating signals from the ExpA (GacA) and KdgR global regulators of extracellular enzyme production in E. carotovora subsp. carotovora. ..
- Kotaja N, Karvonen U, Janne O, Palvimo J. PIAS proteins modulate transcription factors by functioning as SUMO-1 ligases. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:5222-34 pubmed
- Pikkarainen S, Tokola H, Kerkela R, Ruskoaho H. GATA transcription factors in the developing and adult heart. Cardiovasc Res. 2004;63:196-207 pubmed..The present review discusses current evidence of the role and regulation of GATA transcription factors in the heart, with an emphasis in the GATA-4 and development of cardiac hypertrophy. ..
- Yan W, Hirvonen Santti S, Palvimo J, Toppari J, Janne O. Expression of the nuclear RING finger protein SNURF/RNF4 during rat testis development suggests a role in spermatid maturation. Mech Dev. 2002;118:247-53 pubmed
- Ikonen T, Palvimo J, Janne O. Interaction between the amino- and carboxyl-terminal regions of the rat androgen receptor modulates transcriptional activity and is influenced by nuclear receptor coactivators. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:29821-8 pubmed..Collectively, interplay between the N-terminal region and LBD of rAR results in the formation of a transactivation complex that includes coregulators and that is mandatory for optimal activation of androgen-induced promoters. ..
- Uusitalo H, Hiltunen A, Ahonen M, Gao T, Lefebvre V, Harley V, et al. Accelerated up-regulation of L-Sox5, Sox6, and Sox9 by BMP-2 gene transfer during murine fracture healing. J Bone Miner Res. 2001;16:1837-45 pubmed
- Gonzalez M, Carlberg C. Cross-repression, a functional consequence of the physical interaction of non-liganded nuclear receptors and POU domain transcription factors. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:18501-9 pubmed..Taken together this study suggests that cross-repression should occur in all tissues in which POU domain factors and non-liganded NRs meet each other. ..
- Myllyharju J, Schipani E. Extracellular matrix genes as hypoxia-inducible targets. Cell Tissue Res. 2010;339:19-29 pubmed publisher..The vital role of the hypoxia response pathway in chondrogenesis and joint development is then discussed. ..
- Frank C, Gonzalez M, Oinonen C, Dunlop T, Carlberg C. Characterization of DNA complexes formed by the nuclear receptor constitutive androstane receptor. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:43299-310 pubmed..This points to a physiological role for CAR monomers. Therefore, both CAR-RXR heterodimers and CAR monomers can contribute to the gene activating function of PBREMs in CAR target genes. ..
- Wang X, Aberg T, James M, Levanon D, Groner Y, Thesleff I. Runx2 (Cbfa1) inhibits Shh signaling in the lower but not upper molars of mouse embryos and prevents the budding of putative successional teeth. J Dent Res. 2005;84:138-43 pubmed..Similar buds were also present in Runx2 heterozygotes, and they may represent the extension of dental lamina for successional teeth. The results suggest that Runx2 prevents the formation of Shh-expressing buds for successional teeth. ..
- Rytinki M, Palvimo J. SUMOylation attenuates the function of PGC-1alpha. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:26184-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings showing that reversible SUMOylation can adjust the activity of PGC-1alpha add a novel layer to the regulation of the coactivator. ..
- Parviainen H, Schrade A, Kiiveri S, Prunskaite Hyyryläinen R, Haglund C, Vainio S, et al. Expression of Wnt and TGF-? pathway components and key adrenal transcription factors in adrenocortical tumors: association to carcinoma aggressiveness. Pathol Res Pract. 2013;209:503-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the factors driving INHA expression are reduced in ACCs with poor outcome, implicating a role for INHA as a tumor suppressor in humans. ..
- Moilanen A, Poukka H, Karvonen U, Hakli M, Janne O, Palvimo J. Identification of a novel RING finger protein as a coregulator in steroid receptor-mediated gene transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:5128-39 pubmed
- Westermarck J, Kahari V. Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase expression in tumor invasion. FASEB J. 1999;13:781-92 pubmed
- Janne O, Moilanen A, Poukka H, Rouleau N, Karvonen U, Kotaja N, et al. Androgen-receptor-interacting nuclear proteins. Biochem Soc Trans. 2000;28:401-5 pubmed..Current work is aimed at elucidating the biochemical and functional properties of these AR-interacting proteins and at finding the partner proteins that form complexes with them in vivo. ..
- Skog M, Bono P, Lundin M, Lundin J, Louhimo J, Linder N, et al. Expression and prognostic value of transcription factor PROX1 in colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer. 2011;105:1346-51 pubmed publisher..Our results strengthen the previous preclinical observations that PROX1 has a role in tumour progression in CRC. ..
- Kettunen P, Thesleff I. Expression and function of FGFs-4, -8, and -9 suggest functional redundancy and repetitive use as epithelial signals during tooth morphogenesis. Dev Dyn. 1998;211:256-68 pubmed..The coexpression of Fgfs with other signaling molecules including Shh and several Bmps and their partly similar effects suggest that the FGFs participate in the signaling networks during odontogenesis...
- Sandqvist A, Sistonen L. Nuclear stress granules: the awakening of a sleeping beauty?. J Cell Biol. 2004;164:15-7 pubmed..2004). These intriguing findings will certainly give the research of these structures a new twist. ..
- Merikallio H, Paakko P, Salmenkivi K, Kinnula V, Harju T, Soini Y. Expression of snail, twist, and Zeb1 in malignant mesothelioma. APMIS. 2013;121:1-10 pubmed publisher..Snail expression is associated with poor prognosis in lung adenocarcinomas, but an opposite effect was seen in mesothelioma, a fact which may be related to the different cellular origin of epithelial and mesothelial cells. ..
- Julkunen I, Melen K, Nyqvist M, Pirhonen J, Sareneva T, Matikainen S. Inflammatory responses in influenza A virus infection. Vaccine. 2000;19 Suppl 1:S32-7 pubmed..The role of influenza A virus-induced inflammatory response in relation to otitis media is being discussed. ..
- Linja M, Porkka K, Kang Z, Savinainen K, Janne O, Tammela T, et al. Expression of androgen receptor coregulators in prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:1032-40 pubmed..In addition, gene amplification of SRC1 in one of the xenografts implies that, in some tumors, genetic alteration of SRC1 may provide a growth advantage. ..
- Huppunen J, Wohlfahrt G, Aarnisalo P. Requirements for transcriptional regulation by the orphan nuclear receptor ERRgamma. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2004;219:151-60 pubmed..Thus, the transcriptional activity of ERRgamma seems not to require ligand binding but is modulated by binding of certain small synthetic ligands. ..
- Kirk D, Dahlsten E, Zhang Z, Korkeala H, Lindstr m M. Involvement of Clostridium botulinum ATCC 3502 sigma factor K in early-stage sporulation. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:4590-6 pubmed publisher..subtilis. Understanding the sporulation mechanism of C. botulinum provides keys to control the public health risks that the spores of this dangerous pathogen cause through foods...
- Nykanen P, Alastalo T, Ahlskog J, Horelli Kuitunen N, Pirkkala L, Sistonen L. Genomic organization and promoter analysis of the human heat shock factor 2 gene. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2001;6:377-85 pubmed..A comparison between human hsf2 gene and other hsf genes showed striking similarities in exon size. However, the exons are assembled in an hsf-specific manner. ..
- Kotaja N, Vihinen M, Palvimo J, Janne O. Androgen receptor-interacting protein 3 and other PIAS proteins cooperate with glucocorticoid receptor-interacting protein 1 in steroid receptor-dependent signaling. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:17781-8 pubmed..We also find a strong synergism between GRIP1 and two other PIAS family members, Miz1 and PIAS1. Taken together, our results suggest that PIAS proteins and GRIP1 interact functionally in transcriptional regulation. ..
- Hirvonen Santti S, Sriraman V, Anttonen M, Savolainen S, Palvimo J, Heikinheimo M, et al. Small nuclear RING finger protein expression during gonad development: regulation by gonadotropins and estrogen in the postnatal ovary. Endocrinology. 2004;145:2433-44 pubmed..These results suggest a role for SNURF in fetal germ cell development as well as in oocyte and granulosa cell maturation in an estrogen- and gonadotropin-regulated fashion. ..
- Heikkinen S, Väisänen S, Pehkonen P, Seuter S, Benes V, Carlberg C. Nuclear hormone 1?,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 elicits a genome-wide shift in the locations of VDR chromatin occupancy. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:9181-93 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ligand binding shifts the locations of VDR occupation to DR3-type REs that surround its target genes and occur in a large variety of regulatory constellations. ..
- Rice R, Rice D, Olsen B, Thesleff I. Progression of calvarial bone development requires Foxc1 regulation of Msx2 and Alx4. Dev Biol. 2003;262:75-87 pubmed..We therefore suggest that Foxc1 regulates BMP-mediated osteoprogenitor proliferation and that this regulation is required for the progression of osteogenesis beyond the initial condensations in calvarial bone development. ..
- Aberg T, Cavender A, Gaikwad J, Bronckers A, Wang X, Waltimo Siren J, et al. Phenotypic changes in dentition of Runx2 homozygote-null mutant mice. J Histochem Cytochem. 2004;52:131-9 pubmed..These data support the hypothesis that Runx2 is one of the key mesenchymal factors that influences tooth morphogenesis and the subsequent differentiation of ameloblasts and odontoblasts...
- Pitkänen J, Törmä A, Alff S, Huopaniemi L, Mattila P, Renkonen R. Excess mannose limits the growth of phosphomannose isomerase PMI40 deletion strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:55737-43 pubmed
- Mäkelä T, Koskinen P, Vastrik I, Alitalo K. Alternative forms of Max as enhancers or suppressors of Myc-ras cotransformation. Science. 1992;256:373-7 pubmed..When tested in a myc-ras cotransformation assay in rat embryo fibroblasts, Max suppressed, whereas delta Max enhanced, transformation. Thus, the max gene may encode both a negative and a positive regulator of c-Myc function. ..
- Lammi L, Halonen K, Pirinen S, Thesleff I, Arte S, Nieminen P. A missense mutation in PAX9 in a family with distinct phenotype of oligodontia. Eur J Hum Genet. 2003;11:866-71 pubmed..A mutation of the homologous arginine of PAX6 has been shown to affect the target DNA specificity of PAX6. We suggest that a similar mechanism explains these distinct oligodontia phenotypes. ..
- Jaaskelainen T, Huhtakangas J, Mäenpää P. Negative regulation of human parathyroid hormone gene promoter by vitamin D3 through nuclear factor Y. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;328:831-7 pubmed..8 cells. These results indicate that 1,25(OH)2D3 may affect transcription of the human PTH gene both by competitive binding of VDR and NF-Y, and by modulating transcriptional activity of NF-Y. ..
- Korhonen J, Lahtinen I, Halmekyto M, Alhonen L, Janne J, Dumont D, et al. Endothelial-specific gene expression directed by the tie gene promoter in vivo. Blood. 1995;86:1828-35 pubmed..The tie promoter, thus, has useful properties for potential gene therapy. ..
- Rappu P, Shin B, Zalkin H, Mantsala P. A role for a highly conserved protein of unknown function in regulation of Bacillus subtilis purA by the purine repressor. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:3810-5 pubmed..Thus, PRPP appears to be required for upregulation by guanosine. The amino acid sequence of YabJ is homologous to the YER057c/YjgF protein family of unknown function. ..
- Heino M, Peterson P, Sillanpää N, Guerin S, Wu L, Anderson G, et al. RNA and protein expression of the murine autoimmune regulator gene (Aire) in normal, RelB-deficient and in NOD mouse. Eur J Immunol. 2000;30:1884-93 pubmed..These results suggest that the Aire protein is associated with the normal development and/or action of a subset of thymic medullary stromal cells involved in tolerance induction. ..
- Ihanamäki T, Säämänen A, Suominen J, Pelliniemi L, Harley V, Vuorio E, et al. Expression of Sox9 and type IIA procollagen during ocular development and aging in transgenic Del1 mice with a mutation in the type II collagen gene. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2002;12:450-8 pubmed
- Ketola I, Toppari J, Vaskivuo T, Herva R, Tapanainen J, Heikinheimo M. Transcription factor GATA-6, cell proliferation, apoptosis, and apoptosis-related proteins Bcl-2 and Bax in human fetal testis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:1858-65 pubmed..Despite strong expression, GATA-6 did not correlate with apoptosis or cell proliferation and is therefore unlikely to be directly involved in these processes in the human fetal testis. ..
- Pohjoismäki J, Wanrooij S, Hyvärinen A, Goffart S, Holt I, Spelbrink J, et al. Alterations to the expression level of mitochondrial transcription factor A, TFAM, modify the mode of mitochondrial DNA replication in cultured human cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:5815-28 pubmed..We propose that TFAM influences the mode of mtDNA replication via its combined effects on different aspects of mtDNA metabolism. ..
- Turunen M, Dunlop T, Carlberg C, Väisänen S. Selective use of multiple vitamin D response elements underlies the 1 alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3-mediated negative regulation of the human CYP27B1 gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:2734-47 pubmed..This data explains, in part, why the human CYP27B1 gene is repressed in HEK-293 but not in MCF-7 cells. ..
- Makkonen K, Pasonen Seppänen S, Törrönen K, Tammi M, Carlberg C. Regulation of the hyaluronan synthase 2 gene by convergence in cyclic AMP response element-binding protein and retinoid acid receptor signaling. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:18270-81 pubmed publisher..In general, our findings suggest a convergence of CREB1 and RAR signaling, and demonstrate the individual character of each RE in terms of co-regulator use. ..
- Salonen J, Rajpert De Meyts E, Mannisto S, Nielsen J, Graem N, Toppari J, et al. Differential developmental expression of transcription factors GATA-4 and GATA-6, their cofactor FOG-2 and downstream target genes in testicular carcinoma in situ and germ cell tumors. Eur J Endocrinol. 2010;162:625-31 pubmed publisher
- Chen Y, Sundvik M, Rozov S, Priyadarshini M, Panula P. MANF regulates dopaminergic neuron development in larval zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2012;370:237-49 pubmed publisher..Strikingly, manf mRNA could partly restore the decrease of th1 positive cells in Nr4a2-deficient larvae. These results suggest that MANF is involved in the regulation of the development of dopaminergic system in zebrafish. ..
- Palvimo J, Reinikainen P, Ikonen T, Kallio P, Moilanen A, Janne O. Mutual transcriptional interference between RelA and androgen receptor. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:24151-6 pubmed..Collectively, these data suggest that the mutual repression in intact cells is due to formation of AR-RelA complexes that are held together by another partner or to competition for a coactivator required for transcription. ..
- Aarnisalo P, Palvimo J, Janne O. CREB-binding protein in androgen receptor-mediated signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:2122-7 pubmed
- Rice D, Rice R, Thesleff I. Molecular mechanisms in calvarial bone and suture development, and their relation to craniosynostosis. Eur J Orthod. 2003;25:139-48 pubmed..The microdissection and in vitro culture techniques have begun the task of identifying Fgfrs, Msx2, and Twist interacting in intricate signalling pathways that if disrupted could lead to craniosynostosis. ..
- Mitsiadis T, Lardelli M, Lendahl U, Thesleff I. Expression of Notch 1, 2 and 3 is regulated by epithelial-mesenchymal interactions and retinoic acid in the developing mouse tooth and associated with determination of ameloblast cell fate. J Cell Biol. 1995;130:407-18 pubmed..These data suggest that Notch genes may be involved in mediating some of the biological effects of retinoic acid during normal development and after teratogenic exposure. ..
- Vehmanen P, Friedman L, Eerola H, Sarantaus L, Pyrhonen S, Ponder B, et al. A low proportion of BRCA2 mutations in Finnish breast cancer families. Am J Hum Genet. 1997;60:1050-8 pubmed..A common haplotype covering a minimal region intragenic to the BRCA2 gene was shared between the Icelandic and the Finnish mutation carriers. ..
- Tikkanen M, Carter D, Harris A, Le H, Azorsa D, Meltzer P, et al. Endogenously expressed estrogen receptor and coactivator AIB1 interact in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:12536-40 pubmed..The in vitro-binding affinity for mouse ER interaction with AIB1 was estimated to be 40-120 nM. We conclude that AIB1 is a major coactivator for hER in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. ..
- Ketola I, Pentikäinen V, Vaskivuo T, Ilvesmaki V, Herva R, Dunkel L, et al. Expression of transcription factor GATA-4 during human testicular development and disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000;85:3925-31 pubmed..GATA-4 protein is abundantly present in Sertoli and Leydig cell tumors, suggesting a relationship to tumorigenesis or tumor progression in somatic cell-derived testicular neoplasms...
- Nieminen P, Arte S, Tanner D, Paulin L, Alaluusua S, Thesleff I, et al. Identification of a nonsense mutation in the PAX9 gene in molar oligodontia. Eur J Hum Genet. 2001;9:743-6 pubmed..The phenotype is presumably a consequence of haploinsufficiency of PAX9. In another Finnish family with molar tooth agenesis, we could not find similar sequence changes in PAX9. ..
- Manninen A, Saksela K. HIV-1 Nef interacts with inositol trisphosphate receptor to activate calcium signaling in T cells. J Exp Med. 2002;195:1023-32 pubmed
- Kotaja N, Karvonen U, Janne O, Palvimo J. The nuclear receptor interaction domain of GRIP1 is modulated by covalent attachment of SUMO-1. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:30283-8 pubmed
- Virta J, Markola J, Peippo J, Markkula M, Vilkki J. Sex determination of bovine embryo blastomeres by fluorogenic probes. Theriogenology. 2002;57:2229-36 pubmed..The amplification efficiency was 96% (113/117 blastomeres). ..
- Salmelin C, Vilpo J. Induction of SOS response, cellular efflux and oxidative stress response genes by chlorambucil in DNA repair-deficient Escherichia coli cells (ada, ogt and mutS). Mutat Res. 2003;522:33-44 pubmed..These and our previous results show that single-gene knock-out cells use specific gene regulation strategies to avoid mutations and cell death induced by agents such as chlorambucil. ..
- Schultz R, Suominen J, Värre T, Hakovirta H, Parvinen M, Toppari J, et al. Expression of aryl hydrocarbon receptor and aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocator messenger ribonucleic acids and proteins in rat and human testis. Endocrinology. 2003;144:767-76 pubmed..We suggest that AHR and ARNT mediate effects by direct action on testicular cells in the rat and human testis. ..
- Murumägi A, Vähämurto P, Peterson P. Characterization of regulatory elements and methylation pattern of the autoimmune regulator (AIRE) promoter. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:19784-90 pubmed..These results suggest that AIRE gene expression is modulated through modifications in chromatin methylation and acetylation. ..
- Jyrkkärinne J, Mäkinen J, Gynther J, Savolainen H, Poso A, Honkakoski P. Molecular determinants of steroid inhibition for the mouse constitutive androstane receptor. J Med Chem. 2003;46:4687-95 pubmed
- Kang Z, Janne O, Palvimo J. Coregulator recruitment and histone modifications in transcriptional regulation by the androgen receptor. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:2633-48 pubmed