Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on tick borne encephalitis viruses in Austria
Topic: tick borne encephalitis viruses
- Loew Baselli A, Konior R, Pavlova B, Fritsch S, Poellabauer E, Maritsch F, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of the modified adult tick-borne encephalitis vaccine FSME-IMMUN: results of two large phase 3 clinical studies. Vaccine. 2006;24:5256-63 pubmed
- Kroschewski H, Allison S, Heinz F, Mandl C. Role of heparan sulfate for attachment and entry of tick-borne encephalitis virus. Virology. 2003;308:92-100 pubmed..Thus, even though HS is a major determinant of TBE virus attachment on HS-expressing cells, our findings suggest the existence of an alternative host cell receptor that is less abundant than HS. ..
- Kunze M, Kunze U. Social marketing and the establishment of the ISW-TBE. Vaccine. 2003;21 Suppl 1:S62-5 pubmed
- Barrett P, Schober Bendixen S, Ehrlich H. History of TBE vaccines. Vaccine. 2003;21 Suppl 1:S41-9 pubmed..This article describes the development and modification of these vaccines over this time frame, and illustrates the efficacy of the vaccine in preventing this severe CNS disease. ..
- Heinz F, Allison S. The machinery for flavivirus fusion with host cell membranes. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2001;4:450-5 pubmed..New structural data have shown that the alphaviruses, another group of icosahedral enveloped viruses, also have class II fusion proteins, suggesting a common origin. ..
- Stadler K, Allison S, Schalich J, Heinz F. Proteolytic activation of tick-borne encephalitis virus by furin. J Virol. 1997;71:8475-81 pubmed..In vivo, prM cleavage was blocked by a furin inhibitor, and infection of the furin-deficient cell line LoVo yielded only immature virions, suggesting that furin is essential for cleavage activation of flaviviruses. ..
- Stiasny K, Allison S, Marchler Bauer A, Kunz C, Heinz F. Structural requirements for low-pH-induced rearrangements in the envelope glycoprotein of tick-borne encephalitis virus. J Virol. 1996;70:8142-7 pubmed..This region contains potential amphipathic alpha-helical and conserved structural elements whose interactions may contribute to the rearrangements which initiate the fusion process...
- Allison S, Schalich J, Stiasny K, Mandl C, Kunz C, Heinz F. Oligomeric rearrangement of tick-borne encephalitis virus envelope proteins induced by an acidic pH. J Virol. 1995;69:695-700 pubmed..This is consistent with a protective role of protein prM for protein E during intracellular transport of immature virions through acidic compartments of the trans-Golgi network...
- Rendi Wagner P, Paulke Korinek M, Kundi M, Wiedermann U, Laaber B, Kollaritsch H. Antibody persistence following booster vaccination against tick-borne encephalitis: 3-year post-booster follow-up. Vaccine. 2007;25:5097-101 pubmed
- Heinz F, Holzmann H, Essl A, Kundi M. Field effectiveness of vaccination against tick-borne encephalitis. Vaccine. 2007;25:7559-67 pubmed..Our data confirm the excellent performance of TBE vaccine under field conditions and provide evidence that, in Austria, about 2800 cases were prevented by vaccination in the years 2000-2006. ..
- Schrauf S, Schlick P, Skern T, Mandl C. Functional analysis of potential carboxy-terminal cleavage sites of tick-borne encephalitis virus capsid protein. J Virol. 2008;82:2218-29 pubmed..Thus, this study further illuminates the specificity of the TBEV protease and reveals that the carboxy-terminal region of protein C has a remarkable functional flexibility in its role in the assembly of infectious virions. ..
- Rendi Wagner P. Advances in vaccination against tick-borne encephalitis. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2008;7:589-96 pubmed publisher..Systematic TBE case monitoring by raising problem awareness, both inside and outside endemic regions, appears essential to provide evidence for a widely accepted TBE travel-vaccination recommendation in the future. ..
- Kiermayr S, Stiasny K, Heinz F. Impact of quaternary organization on the antigenic structure of the tick-borne encephalitis virus envelope glycoprotein E. J Virol. 2009;83:8482-91 pubmed publisher..We have thus identified several important factors that influence the antigenicity of the flavivirus E protein and have an impact on the interaction with neutralizing antibodies. ..
- Pöllabauer E, Pavlova B, Löw Baselli A, Fritsch S, Prymula R, Angermayr R, et al. Comparison of immunogenicity and safety between two paediatric TBE vaccines. Vaccine. 2010;28:4680-5 pubmed publisher..01) and second (p<0.001) vaccination with Encepur Children than with FSME-IMMUN Junior, affecting half the children in the former group: 22.4% and 10.2% with FSME-IMMUN Junior vs. 49.0% and 51.0% for Encepur Children. ..
- Seidel M, Grohmann E, Sadeghi K, Pollak A, Heitger A, Forster Waldl E. Vaccination against tick-borne encephalitis virus tests specific IgG production ability in patients under immunoglobulin substitution therapy. Vaccine. 2010;28:6621-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, TBE vaccination may be used to test B-cell function under IgG replacement therapy because IgG substitution appears insufficient to yield protective TBE-specific antibody levels in children. ..
- Gehrke R, Heinz F, Davis N, Mandl C. Heterologous gene expression by infectious and replicon vectors derived from tick-borne encephalitis virus and direct comparison of this flavivirus system with an alphavirus replicon. J Gen Virol. 2005;86:1045-53 pubmed..The results indicate that the VEEV vector is superior with respect to achieving high expression levels, but the TBEV system may be advantageous for applications that require a moderate, but more enduring, gene expression. ..
- Stiasny K, Heinz F. Effect of membrane curvature-modifying lipids on membrane fusion by tick-borne encephalitis virus. J Virol. 2004;78:8536-42 pubmed..These data emphasize, however, the importance of the composition of the target membrane in its interactions with the fusion peptide that are crucial for the initiation of fusion. ..
- Rendi Wagner P, Kundi M, Zent O, Dvorak G, Jaehnig P, Holzmann H, et al. Persistence of protective immunity following vaccination against tick-borne encephalitis--longer than expected?. Vaccine. 2004;22:2743-9 pubmed..This study indicates that after multiple TBE (booster) immunizations protection surpasses the currently advised TBE booster interval of 3 years, thus supporting reconsideration of the recommendations for booster intervals. ..
- Kunz C. TBE vaccination and the Austrian experience. Vaccine. 2003;21 Suppl 1:S50-5 pubmed..The Austrian experience shows that containment of a tick-borne viral disease is feasible, provided a well-tolerated and effective vaccine is available that is widely accepted by the general population. ..
- Elshuber S, Allison S, Heinz F, Mandl C. Cleavage of protein prM is necessary for infection of BHK-21 cells by tick-borne encephalitis virus. J Gen Virol. 2003;84:183-91 pubmed..Moreover, the results illustrate that mutation of the furin cleavage site is a convenient way to produce single-round infectious flavivirus particles, which may be useful in vaccine and vector development. ..
- Kofler R, Leitner A, O Riordain G, Heinz F, Mandl C. Spontaneous mutations restore the viability of tick-borne encephalitis virus mutants with large deletions in protein C. J Virol. 2003;77:443-51 pubmed
- Mandl C, Allison S, Holzmann H, Meixner T, Heinz F. Attenuation of tick-borne encephalitis virus by structure-based site-specific mutagenesis of a putative flavivirus receptor binding site. J Virol. 2000;74:9601-9 pubmed..The information obtained in this study is relevant for the development of specific attenuated flavivirus strains that may serve as future live vaccines. ..
- Heinz F, Allison S, Stiasny K, Schalich J, Holzmann H, Mandl C, et al. Recombinant and virion-derived soluble and particulate immunogens for vaccination against tick-borne encephalitis. Vaccine. 1995;13:1636-42 pubmed
- Heinz F. Molecular aspects of TBE virus research. Vaccine. 2003;21 Suppl 1:S3-S10 pubmed
- Hoenninger V, Rouha H, Orlinger K, Miorin L, Marcello A, Kofler R, et al. Analysis of the effects of alterations in the tick-borne encephalitis virus 3'-noncoding region on translation and RNA replication using reporter replicons. Virology. 2008;377:419-30 pubmed publisher..These results provide a rational basis for the construction of TBEV-based vectors or vaccines as well as molecular tools for studying flavivirus replication. ..
- Mandl C, Holzmann H, Meixner T, Rauscher S, Stadler P, Allison S, et al. Spontaneous and engineered deletions in the 3' noncoding region of tick-borne encephalitis virus: construction of highly attenuated mutants of a flavivirus. J Virol. 1998;72:2132-40 pubmed..Thus, 3'-NCR deletions represent a useful technique for achieving stable attenuation of flaviviruses that can be included in the rational design of novel flavivirus live vaccines. ..
- Mandl C, Heinz F, St ckl E, Kunz C. Genome sequence of tick-borne encephalitis virus (Western subtype) and comparative analysis of nonstructural proteins with other flaviviruses. Virology. 1989;173:291-301 pubmed..Other characteristics, such as the potential N-glycosylation sites of protein NS1 and a potential proteolytic cleavage site within protein NS4B, are conserved within the mosquito-borne group, but differ in the TBE virus sequence...