Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on testis in United States
Locale: United States
Publications284 found, 100 shown here
- Chu Y, Huddleston G, Clancy A, Harris R, Bartness T. Epididymal fat is necessary for spermatogenesis, but not testosterone production or copulatory behavior. Endocrinology. 2010;151:5669-79 pubmed publisher..Selective surgical testicular denervation did not affect spermatogenesis. Collectively, these results suggest the presence of a local, but currently unidentified, growth and/or nutritive factor from EWAT that promotes spermatogenesis. ..
- Agarwal A, Hamada A, Esteves S. Insight into oxidative stress in varicocele-associated male infertility: part 1. Nat Rev Urol. 2012;9:678-90 pubmed publisher..These responses have their own implications in exacerbating the underlying oxidative stress and on the subsequent infertility. ..
- Chappell V, Busada J, Keiper B, Geyer C. Translational activation of developmental messenger RNAs during neonatal mouse testis development. Biol Reprod. 2013;89:61 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that translational control is a significant regulator of the germ cell proteome during neonatal testis development. ..
- Breen M, Villeneuve D, Ankley G, Bencic D, Breen M, Watanabe K, et al. Computational model of the fathead minnow hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis: Incorporating protein synthesis in improving predictability of responses to endocrine active chemicals. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;183-184:36-45 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that aromatase protein synthesis is an important process in the biological system to model the effects of FAD exposure. ..
- Overturf C, Overturf M, Huggett D. Bioconcentration and endocrine disruption effects of diazepam in channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;183-184:46-52 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that although diazepam does not significantly bioconcentrate, low-level chronic exposure to diazepam may have the potential to interact with endocrine function by altering gene expression. ..
- Yeom Y, Abe K, Bennett D, Artzt K. Testis-/embryo-expressed genes are clustered in the mouse H-2K region. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:773-7 pubmed..Surprisingly, virtually all of these genes are expressed in testis and/or embryos. The genomic organization of this region is contrasted with the 150 kb of the homologous area where only three genes and an endogenous retrovirus reside. ..
- Baker S, Plug A, Prolla T, Bronner C, Harris A, Yao X, et al. Involvement of mouse Mlh1 in DNA mismatch repair and meiotic crossing over. Nat Genet. 1996;13:336-42 pubmed..We also show that Mlh1 appears to localize to sites of crossing over on meiotic chromosomes. Together these findings suggest that Mlh1 is involved in DNA mismatch repair and meiotic crossing over. ..
- Lok S, Johnston D, Conklin D, Lofton Day C, Adams R, Jelmberg A, et al. Identification of INSL6, a new member of the insulin family that is expressed in the testis of the human and rat. Biol Reprod. 2000;62:1593-9 pubmed..Radiation hybrid mapping placed the human INSL6 locus at chromosome 9p24 near the placenta insulin-like homologue INSL4 and the autosomal testis-determining factor (TDFA) locus. ..
- Li H, Kim K. Effects of mono-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate on fetal and neonatal rat testis organ cultures. Biol Reprod. 2003;69:1964-72 pubmed..These results suggest that MEHP adversely affects the gonocytes, which are mitotically active and undergoing migration and differentiation in neonatal testes, but it has no effect on fetal gonocytes that are mitotically quiescent. ..
- Rezaie T, Sarfarazi M. Molecular cloning, genomic structure, and protein characterization of mouse optineurin. Genomics. 2005;85:131-8 pubmed..Gene and protein ocular profiling of Optn is a prerequisite for developing a mouse model for glaucoma. ..
- Rodic N, Oka M, Hamazaki T, Murawski M, Jorgensen M, Maatouk D, et al. DNA methylation is required for silencing of ant4, an adenine nucleotide translocase selectively expressed in mouse embryonic stem cells and germ cells. Stem Cells. 2005;23:1314-23 pubmed..These data indicate that Ant4 is a pluripotent stem cell- and germ cell-specific isoform of adenine nucleotide translocase in mouse and that DNA methylation plays a primary role in its transcriptional silencing in somatic cells. ..
- Zhang Y, Chen Y, Xie S, Wang L, Lee Y, Chang S, et al. Loss of testicular orphan receptor 4 impairs normal myelination in mouse forebrain. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:908-20 pubmed..The altered Jagged1-Notch signaling in TR4(-/-) forebrain underlies a potential mechanism that contributes to the reduced myelination in the forebrain. ..
- Jenkins L, Ross W, Young K. Increases in apoptosis and declines in Bcl-XL protein characterise testicular regression in American crows (Corvus brachyrhynchos). Reprod Fertil Dev. 2007;19:461-9 pubmed..Furthermore, it is likely that Sertoli cell apoptosis followed by massive germ cell loss is responsible for the rapid reduction in testis mass...
- Oatley J, Brinster R. Regulation of spermatogonial stem cell self-renewal in mammals. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2008;24:263-86 pubmed publisher..Together, these molecules are part of a robust gene network controlling SSC fate decisions that may parallel the regulatory networks in other adult stem cell populations. ..
- Schultz B, Roberts S, Rodgers A, Ataya K. Pregnancy in true hermaphrodites and all male offspring to date. Obstet Gynecol. 2009;113:534-6 pubmed publisher..Postpartum androgen levels were normal. Partial removal of testicular tissue may enhance fertility in hermaphrodites, and there may be a genetic basis for the progeny to be male. ..
- Roth M, Lin K, Bay K, Amory J, Anawalt B, Matsumoto A, et al. Serum insulin-like factor 3 is highly correlated with intratesticular testosterone in normal men with acute, experimental gonadotropin deficiency stimulated with low-dose human chorionic gonadotropin: a randomized, controlled trial. Fertil Steril. 2013;99:132-9 pubmed publisher..Human chorionic gonadotropin stimulates dose-dependent increases in INSL3 and IT-T in healthy men and might be a useful biomarker of IT-T concentration in some clinical settings. NCT#Â 00839319. ..
- Zakon H, Thomas P, Yan H. Electric organ discharge frequency and plasma sex steroid levels during gonadal recrudescence in a natural population of the weakly electric fish Sternopygus macrurus. J Comp Physiol A. 1991;169:493-9 pubmed..5. These results suggest that plasma androgens modulate EOD frequency in males during the reproductive season and that plasma E2 has little relationship to EOD frequency in either sex...
- Jaworski D, Beem Miller M, Lluri G, Barrantes Reynolds R. Potential regulatory relationship between the nested gene DDC8 and its host gene tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2. Physiol Genomics. 2007;28:168-78 pubmed..That TIMP-2 transcripts in wild-type brain contain DDC8 sequence suggests alternative splicing between the two genes. ..
- Heaney J, Michelson M, Youngren K, Lam M, Nadeau J. Deletion of eIF2beta suppresses testicular cancer incidence and causes recessive lethality in agouti-yellow mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:1395-404 pubmed publisher..These results show that germ cell development and TGCT pathogenesis are sensitive to the availability of the eIF2 translation initiation complex and to changes in the rate of translation. ..
- Greives T, French S, Zysling D, Garcia N, Demas G. The glutamate agonist NMDA blocks gonadal regression and enhances antibody response to an immune challenge in Siberian hamsters (Phodopus sungorus). J Comp Physiol B. 2010;180:267-77 pubmed publisher..In addition, these findings demonstrate a general immunoenhancing effect of NMDA that appears independent of changes in reproductive or energetic state of the animal. ..
- Brower C, Veiga L, Jones R, Varshavsky A. Mouse Dfa is a repressor of TATA-box promoters and interacts with the Abt1 activator of basal transcription. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:17218-34 pubmed publisher..Given these results, RNA interference was used to probe the influence of Dfa levels in luciferase reporter assays. We found that Dfa(A) acts as a repressor of TATA-box transcriptional promoters. ..
- Wang R, Bencic D, Villeneuve D, Ankley G, Lazorchak J, Edwards S. A transcriptomics-based biological framework for studying mechanisms of endocrine disruption in small fish species. Aquat Toxicol. 2010;98:230-244 pubmed publisher..These candidate networks/pathways have a variety of profound impacts on such cellular functions as stress response, cell cycle, and apoptosis. ..
- Choi K, Joo H, Campbell J, Clewell R, Andersen M, Clewell H. In vitro metabolism of di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP) by various tissues and cytochrome P450s of human and rat. Toxicol In Vitro. 2012;26:315-22 pubmed publisher..Percent total normalized rates (%TNR) by CYP2C9(?)1 in human liver microsomes (HLM) were 94%, 98% and 100%, respectively, for 5-OH MEHP, 5-Oxo MEHP, 5-carboxy MEPP, and 76% for PA production by CYP3A4. ..
- Zou Y, Millette C, Sperry A. KRP3A and KRP3B: candidate motors in spermatid maturation in the seminiferous epithelium. Biol Reprod. 2002;66:843-55 pubmed..Our findings suggest a possible role for KRP3 motor isoforms in spermatid maturation mediated by possible interaction with the Ran GTPase...
- Nangia A, Hill O, Waterman M, Schwender C, Memoli V. Testicular maturation arrest to testis cancer: spectrum of expression of the vitamin D receptor and vitamin D treatment in vitro. J Urol. 2007;178:1092-6 pubmed..Testosterone may be important for vitamin D receptor down-regulation. Calcium may be an important co-factor in vitamin D receptor expression. ..
- Hogarth C, Mitchell D, Small C, Griswold M. EGR4 displays both a cell- and intracellular-specific localization pattern in the developing murine testis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:3106-14 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that Egr4 may regulate spermatogenesis at multiple steps, with roles in the dividing Sertoli cells, peritubular myoid cells, and the meiotic and elongating haploid germ cell populations. ..
- Whitney M, Royle G, Low M, Kelly M, Axthelm M, Reifsteck C, et al. Germ cell defects and hematopoietic hypersensitivity to gamma-interferon in mice with a targeted disruption of the Fanconi anemia C gene. Blood. 1996;88:49-58 pubmed..Progenitor cells from fac knock-out mice were hypersensitive to interferon gamma. This previously unrecognized phenotype may form the basis for BM failure in human FA. ..
- Lee K, Dabrowski K. Gossypol and gossypolone enantiomers in tissues of rainbow trout fed low and high levels of dietary cottonseed meal. J Agric Food Chem. 2002;50:3056-61 pubmed
- Vavaiya K, Paranjape S, Briski K. Testicular regulation of neuronal glucose and monocarboxylate transporter gene expression profiles in CNS metabolic sensing sites during acute and recurrent insulin-induced hypoglycemia. J Mol Neurosci. 2007;31:37-46 pubmed..g., metabolic monitoring, functions of neurons in those sites. ..
- Wise J, Wise S, Kraus S, Shaffiey F, Grau M, Chen T, et al. Hexavalent chromium is cytotoxic and genotoxic to the North Atlantic right whale (Eubalaena glacialis) lung and testes fibroblasts. Mutat Res. 2008;650:30-8 pubmed..Considering these data with chromium chemistry, whale physiology and atmospheric chromium levels further suggest that inhalation may be an important exposure route. ..
- Kumar A, Kalra B, Patel A, McDavid L, Roudebush W. Development of a second generation anti-Müllerian hormone (AMH) ELISA. J Immunol Methods. 2010;362:51-9 pubmed publisher..The performance of the AMH Gen II assay is ideal for investigation into the physiologic roles of AMH in men and women. ..
- Hogarth C, Mitchell D, Evanoff R, Small C, Griswold M. Identification and expression of potential regulators of the mammalian mitotic-to-meiotic transition. Biol Reprod. 2011;84:34-42 pubmed publisher..Future research will be directed at determining a specific role for these three proteins in germ cell differentiation. ..
- Wang H, Butnev V, Bousfield G, Kumar T. A human FSHB transgene encoding the double N-glycosylation mutant (Asn(7Î”) Asn(24Î”)) FSHÎ² subunit fails to rescue Fshb null mice. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2016;426:113-24 pubmed publisher..Our studies also reveal that N-glycans on FSHÎ² subunit are essential for FSH secretion and FSH in vivo bioactivity to regulate gonadal growth and physiology. ..
- Ha H, Howard C, Yeom Y, Abe K, Uehara H, Artzt K, et al. Several testis-expressed genes in the mouse t-complex have expression differences between wild-type and t-mutant mice. Dev Genet. 1991;12:318-32 pubmed..Interestingly, four Tctex genes show differences in the amount of transcript between wild-type and t-mutant testes. The chromosomal location and expression pattern imply that Tctex genes might be candidate genes for sterility or TRD. ..
- Pinto Correia C, Goldstein E, Bennett V, Sobel J. Immunofluorescence localization of an adducin-like protein in the chromosomes of mouse oocytes. Dev Biol. 1991;146:301-11 pubmed..The results suggest that expression of the immunoreactive chromosomal adducin may be a unique feature of oogenesis. ..
- Lader E, Ha H, O Neill M, Artzt K, Bennett D. tctex-1: a candidate gene family for a mouse t complex sterility locus. Cell. 1989;58:969-79 pubmed..The aberrant expression of tctex-1 is solely dependent on the t haplotype genes and occurs only in germ cells. The chromosomal location and pattern of expression of tctex-1 make it a candidate for involvement in male sterility. ..
- Errabolu R, Sanders M, Salisbury J. Cloning of a cDNA encoding human centrin, an EF-hand protein of centrosomes and mitotic spindle poles. J Cell Sci. 1994;107 ( Pt 1):9-16 pubmed
- Keegan K, Holtzman D, Plug A, Christenson E, Brainerd E, Flaggs G, et al. The Atr and Atm protein kinases associate with different sites along meiotically pairing chromosomes. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2423-37 pubmed
- Wu X, Gu W, Meng X, Hecht N. The RNA-binding protein, TB-RBP, is the mouse homologue of translin, a recombination protein associated with chromosomal translocations. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:5640-5 pubmed..Based upon its DNA binding to target sequences in clustered breakpoint regions, we propose that TB-RBP may be involved in DNA recombination or DNA repair in male germ cells. ..
- Prendergast B, Mosinger B, Kolattukudy P, Nelson R. Hypothalamic gene expression in reproductively photoresponsive and photorefractory Siberian hamsters. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:16291-6 pubmed
- Syrova Z, Sauman I, Giebultowicz J. Effects of light and temperature on the circadian system controlling sperm release in moth Spodoptera littoralis. Chronobiol Int. 2003;20:809-21 pubmed..Nevertheless, temperature plays a critical role in the absence of light Zeitgeber. Sperm release and transfer are arrhythmic in constant light (LL); however, both rhythms are restored by temperature cycles. ..
- Hofmann M, Braydich Stolle L, Dym M. Isolation of male germ-line stem cells; influence of GDNF. Dev Biol. 2005;279:114-24 pubmed..This report describes the first isolation of a pure population of GFR alpha-1-positive cells in the testis and identifies signaling pathways that may play a crucial role in maintaining germ-line stem cell proliferation and/or renewal. ..
- Sang Y, Ortega M, Blecha F, Prakash O, Melgarejo T. Molecular cloning and characterization of three beta-defensins from canine testes. Infect Immun. 2005;73:2611-20 pubmed..The tissue-specific expression and broad antimicrobial activity suggest that canine beta-defensins play an important role in host defense and other physiological functions of the male reproductive system. ..
- Karpova T, Maran R, Presley J, Scherrer S, Tejada L, Heckert L. Transgenic rescue of SF-1-null mice. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1061:55-64 pubmed..Histological analysis of embryonic (e14.5) and adult testes from these mice implicated SF-1 in roles that are distinct in fetal and adult Leydig cells. ..
- Akingbemi B, Braden T, Kemppainen B, Hancock K, Sherrill J, Cook S, et al. Exposure to phytoestrogens in the perinatal period affects androgen secretion by testicular Leydig cells in the adult rat. Endocrinology. 2007;148:4475-88 pubmed..Thus, phytoestrogens have the ability to regulate Leydig cells, and additional studies to assess potential adverse effects of dietary soy-based products on reproductive tract development in neonates are warranted. ..
- Charbonneau N, Amunugama R, Schmutte C, Yoder K, Fishel R. Evidence that hMLH3 functions primarily in meiosis and in hMSH2-hMSH3 mismatch repair. Cancer Biol Ther. 2009;8:1411-20 pubmed..These data are consistent with yeast studies and suggest a role for hMLH3 in meiosis as well as hMSH2-hMSH3 repair processes and little if any role in Hereditary Non-Polyposis Colorectal Cancer (HNPCC). ..
- Hanna R, Daly S, Pang Y, Anglade I, Kah O, Thomas P, et al. Characterization and expression of the nuclear progestin receptor in zebrafish gonads and brain. Biol Reprod. 2010;82:112-22 pubmed publisher..The localization of Pgr suggests that it mediates progestin regulation of reproductive signaling in the brain, early germ cell proliferation in testis, and ovarian follicular functions, but not final oocyte or sperm maturation. ..
- Han Z, Papermaster D. Identification of three prominin homologs and characterization of their messenger RNA expression in Xenopus laevis tissues. Mol Vis. 2011;17:1381-96 pubmed..laevis, but differ in their expression levels and mRNA splicing. Prominin-1 is the most abundant of the three prominin homologs expressed in the frog retina...
- Barthold J, Pugarelli J, Macdonald M, Ren J, Adetunji M, Polson S, et al. Polygenic inheritance of cryptorchidism susceptibility in the LE/orl rat. Mol Hum Reprod. 2016;22:18-34 pubmed publisher..The authors have no competing interests to declare. ..
- Enders G, May J. Developmentally regulated expression of a mouse germ cell nuclear antigen examined from embryonic day 11 to adult in male and female mice. Dev Biol. 1994;163:331-40 pubmed..Thus, GCNA1 serves as a common marker of the germ cell lineage in male and female mice after primordial germ cells arrive in the gonadal ridge until they reach the diplotene/dictyate stage of the first meiotic division. ..
- Webb N, de Villiers W, Connell P, de Beer F, van der Westhuyzen D. Alternative forms of the scavenger receptor BI (SR-BI). J Lipid Res. 1997;38:1490-5 pubmed..2 protein and acquired the ability to take up fluorescent lipid (DiI) from DiI-HDL. Alternative splicing of SR-BI represents a potentially important process for the regulation of SR-BI expression and function. ..
- Gu W, Tekur S, Reinbold R, Eppig J, Choi Y, Zheng J, et al. Mammalian male and female germ cells express a germ cell-specific Y-Box protein, MSY2. Biol Reprod. 1998;59:1266-74 pubmed..MSY2 is maternally inherited in the one-cell-stage embryo but is not detected in the late two-cell-stage embryo. This loss of MSY2 is coincident with the bulk degradation of maternal mRNAs in the two-cell embryo. ..
- Cerretti D, DuBose R, Black R, Nelson N. Isolation of two novel metalloproteinase-disintegrin (ADAM) cDNAs that show testis-specific gene expression. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999;263:810-5 pubmed..An ancestral analysis of all known mammalian ADAMs indicates that the zinc-binding motif in the catalytic domain arose once in a common ancestor and was subsequently lost by those members lacking this motif. ..
- Inoue K, Zhuang L, Maddox D, Smith S, Ganapathy V. Structure, function, and expression pattern of a novel sodium-coupled citrate transporter (NaCT) cloned from mammalian brain. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:39469-76 pubmed..NaCT thus constitutes a potential therapeutic target for the control of body weight, cholesterol levels, and energy homeostasis. ..
- Buaas F, Kirsh A, Sharma M, McLean D, Morris J, Griswold M, et al. Plzf is required in adult male germ cells for stem cell self-renewal. Nat Genet. 2004;36:647-52 pubmed..This is the first gene shown to be required in germ cells for stem cell self-renewal in mammals. ..
- Zhou Q, Shima J, Nie R, Friel P, Griswold M. Androgen-regulated transcripts in the neonatal mouse testis as determined through microarray analysis. Biol Reprod. 2005;72:1010-9 pubmed..The data generated in the present study may serve as a foundation for hypothesis-driven research and provide insights regarding gene networks and pathways under androgen control in the testis. ..
- Kusakabe M, Nakamura I, Evans J, Swanson P, Young G. Changes in mRNAs encoding steroidogenic acute regulatory protein, steroidogenic enzymes and receptors for gonadotropins during spermatogenesis in rainbow trout testes. J Endocrinol. 2006;189:541-54 pubmed
- Wilson K, Fitch K, Bafus B, Wakimoto B. Sperm plasma membrane breakdown during Drosophila fertilization requires sneaky, an acrosomal membrane protein. Development. 2006;133:4871-9 pubmed..We relate the characteristics of Drosophila Snky, acrosome function and sperm PMBD to membrane fusion events that occur in other systems. ..
- Zhang H, Denhard L, Zhou H, Liu L, Lan Z. 0610009K11Rik, a testis-specific and germ cell nuclear receptor-interacting protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;366:898-904 pubmed..Our results suggest that Tnrip-1 is a testis-specific and GCNF-interacting protein which may be involved in the modulation of GCNF-mediated gene transcription in spermatogenic cells within the testis. ..
- Patel H, Silverman C, Carrascosa L, Malkani A, Yashar C. Evaluation of scrotal and testicular radiation doses for heterotopic ossification prophylaxis. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2008;37:E163-6 pubmed..Mean dose inside and outside the shield was 10.2 and 20.2 cGy, respectively (sperm abnormalities have been reported with 15 cGy). Given our study results, young males should be counseled and should be treated with a testicular shield...
- Givens M, Riddell K, Zhang Y, Galik P, Walz P, Brodersen B, et al. Safety and efficacy of vaccination of seronegative bulls with modified-live, cytopathic bovine viral diarrhea viruses. Theriogenology. 2009;71:975-83 pubmed publisher..The vaccine did not cause prolonged testicular infection. Vaccination with this product prevented development of prolonged testicular infections after subsequent exposure to a field strain of BVDV. ..
- Robinson M, McCarrey J, Simon M. Transcriptional regulatory regions of testis-specific PGK2 defined in transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:8437-41 pubmed..Translation of both PGK2/CAT and PGK2/luciferase fusion genes was seen concurrently with the first detectable transcripts. ..
- Gu W, Hecht N. Translation of a testis-specific Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase (SOD-1) mRNA is regulated by a 65-kilodalton protein which binds to its 5' untranslated region. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:4535-43 pubmed..We conclude that SOD-RBP serves as a repressor in the translation of TSOD-1 mRNA during spermiogenesis and thereby fine-tunes the level of Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase produced in maturing germ cells. ..
- Yiu G, Hecht N. Novel testis-specific protein-DNA interactions activate transcription of the mouse protamine 2 gene during spermatogenesis. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:26926-33 pubmed..These data suggest that the testis-specific PAF-1 and a Y-box-binding protein are needed to activate mP2 transcription in postmeiotic male germ cells. ..
- Elliott R, Miller D, Pearsall R, Hohman C, Zhang Y, Poslinski D, et al. Genetic analysis of testis weight and fertility in an interspecies hybrid congenic strain for Chromosome X. Mamm Genome. 2001;12:45-51 pubmed..8 map units for Ihtw1. This region of the genetic map is orthologous to the region on human Chr X containing the gene for the Borjeson-Forssman-Lehman syndrome, an inherited disease in which males show microorchidism. ..
- de la Puente A, Hall J, Wu Y, Leone G, Peters J, Yoon B, et al. Structural characterization of Rasgrf1 and a novel linked imprinted locus. Gene. 2002;291:287-97 pubmed..The A19 transcript is non-coding and expressed in mouse testis and brain. A19 is imprinted with expression occurring from just the paternal allele in brain. ..
- Demas G. Splenic denervation blocks leptin-induced enhancement of humoral immunity in Siberian hamsters (Phodopus sungorus). Neuroendocrinology. 2002;76:178-84 pubmed
- Giammona C, Sawhney P, Chandrasekaran Y, Richburg J. Death receptor response in rodent testis after mono-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate exposure. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2002;185:119-27 pubmed..The observed robust and early increase in Fas in wild-type testis and diminished rates of germ cell apoptosis in mutant testis (gld and lpr(cg)) reiterates the importance of the Fas signaling pathway. ..
- Blanco G. Functional expression of the alpha4 isoform of the Na,K-ATPase in both diploid and haploid germ cells of male rats. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003;986:536-8 pubmed
- Luo X, Huang Y, Sheikh M. Cloning and characterization of a novel gene PDRG that is differentially regulated by p53 and ultraviolet radiation. Oncogene. 2003;22:7247-57 pubmed..Furthermore, stable expression of exogenous PDRG was found to decrease the clonogenic survival after UV irradiation, which highlights the significance of PDRG in facilitating UV-induced killing. ..
- Lavoie H. The role of GATA in mammalian reproduction. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2003;228:1282-90 pubmed..This review will cover the current knowledge regarding GATA expression and function at all levels of the reproductive axis. ..
- Lockhart P, Hulihan M, Lincoln S, Hussey J, Skipper L, Bisceglio G, et al. Identification of the human ubiquitin specific protease 31 (USP31) gene: structure, sequence and expression analysis. DNA Seq. 2004;15:9-14 pubmed..Northern blot analysis revealed a single USP31 transcript of approximately 4 kb, which was primarily expressed in the testis and lung. ..
- Williams V, DeGuzman A, Dang H, Kawaminami M, Ho T, Carter D, et al. Common and specific effects of the two major forms of prolactin in the rat testis. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007;293:E1795-803 pubmed..Thus, in mature males, hyperprolactinemic levels of both forms of PRL have common effects on steroidogenic proteins, but specific effects on the apoptosis of Leydig and germ cells. ..
- Storm D, Redden T, Aguiar M, Wilkerson M, Jordan G, Sumfest J. Histologic evaluation of the testicular remnant associated with the vanishing testes syndrome: is surgical management necessary?. Urology. 2007;70:1204-6 pubmed..The exact fate of these residual elements remains unknown; however, there may exist the potential for malignant transformation. Given the potential for malignant degeneration, we believe that these remnants should be removed. ..
- ..This review examines the periodicity of testicular function along multiple time scales. ..
- Matzkin M, Miquet J, Fang Y, Hill C, Turyn D, Calandra R, et al. Alterations in oxidative, inflammatory and apoptotic events in short-lived and long-lived mice testes. Aging (Albany NY). 2016;8:95-110 pubmed..Oppositely, short-lived mice suffer testicular inflammatory, oxidative and apoptotic processes. ..
- Kakar S, Jennes L. Molecular cloning and characterization of the tumor transforming gene (TUTR1): a novel gene in human tumorigenesis. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1999;84:211-6 pubmed..These results suggest that TUTR1 is a novel and potent transforming gene, which may be involved in tumorigenesis in numerous different human tumors. ..
- Katzenberger R, Rach E, Anderson A, Ohler U, Wassarman D. The Drosophila Translational Control Element (TCE) is required for high-level transcription of many genes that are specifically expressed in testes. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45009 pubmed publisher..These findings set the stage for determining the mechanism by which the TCE regulates testis-specific transcription and understanding the dual role of the TCE in translational and transcriptional regulation. ..
- Amador A, Mayerhofer A, Parkening T, Collins T, Bartke A. Differential effects of two alleles of the dy locus on the pituitary-testicular axis of mice. Rev Esp Fisiol. 1992;48:157-66 pubmed
- Meijer D, Hermans A, von Lindern M, van Agthoven T, de Klein A, Mackenbach P, et al. Molecular characterization of the testis specific c-abl mRNA in mouse. EMBO J. 1987;6:4041-8 pubmed..Using in situ hybridization on whole testis sections it is shown that the 4 kb c-abl mRNA is most abundant in the elongating spermatids. ..
- Cook T, Mesa K, Urrutia R. Three dynamin-encoding genes are differentially expressed in developing rat brain. J Neurochem. 1996;67:927-31 pubmed..Therefore, this large isoform diversity of dynamin proteins in brain predicts a significant complexity in the understanding of dynamin-based processes in this tissue. ..
- Lanning D, Lafuse W. Localization of the casein kinase II beta-subunit gene within the mouse H-2 complex class III region and comparison of expression with Bat genes. Mamm Genome. 1997;8:519-21 pubmed
- Liu Y, Black J, Kisiel N, Kulesz Martin M. SPAF, a new AAA-protein specific to early spermatogenesis and malignant conversion. Oncogene. 2000;19:1579-88 pubmed..Ectopic expression of the SPAF gene in malignant epidermal cells may signify adoption of an early germ cell-like phenotype advantageous in malignant conversion. ..
- Davies H, Giorgini F, Fajardo M, Braun R. A sequence-specific RNA binding complex expressed in murine germ cells contains MSY2 and MSY4. Dev Biol. 2000;221:87-100 pubmed..Polysome analysis demonstrates MSY4 is associated with mRNPs, consistent with MSY4 having a role in storing repressed messages. ..
- Dufour J, Vo M, Bhattacharya N, Okita J, Okita R, Kim K. Peroxisome proliferators disrupt retinoic acid receptor alpha signaling in the testis. Biol Reprod. 2003;68:1215-24 pubmed..These results indicate that peroxisome proliferators can indeed shift the balance of nuclear localization for RARalpha and PPARalpha, resulting in deactivation of the critical RARalpha transcriptional activity in Sertoli cells. ..
- Marty M, Chapin R, Parks L, Thorsrud B. Development and maturation of the male reproductive system. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol. 2003;68:125-36 pubmed
- Ko K, Theobald H, Moore R, Peterson R. Evidence that inhibited prostatic epithelial bud formation in 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin-exposed C57BL/6J fetal mice is not due to interruption of androgen signaling in the urogenital sinus. Toxicol Sci. 2004;79:360-9 pubmed..Collectively, these results suggest that TCDD inhibits prostatic epithelial bud formation without impairing the androgen receptor signaling pathway. ..
- Huang Z, Somanath P, Chakrabarti R, Eddy E, Vijayaraghavan S. Changes in intracellular distribution and activity of protein phosphatase PP1gamma2 and its regulating proteins in spermatozoa lacking AKAP4. Biol Reprod. 2005;72:384-92 pubmed..These studies have identified potentially significant new roles for the fibrous sheath in regulating the activity and function of key signaling enzymes. ..
- Schmidt J, de Avila J, McLean D. Grafting period and donor age affect the potential for spermatogenesis in bovine ectopic testis xenografts. Biol Reprod. 2006;75:160-6 pubmed..These data provide the framework for further study of bovine spermatogenesis using ectopic testis xenografting. ..
- Fan J, Akabane H, Zheng X, Zhou X, Zhang L, Liu Q, et al. Male germ cell-specific expression of a novel Patched-domain containing gene Ptchd3. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;363:757-61 pubmed..Collectively, these results indicate that Ptchd3 is a novel male germ cell-specific gene and may be involved in the Hh signaling to regulate sperm development and/or sperm function. ..