Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on tertiary protein structure in Switzerland
Topic: tertiary protein structure
Publications168 found, 100 shown here
- Faisal A, Kleiner S, Nagamine Y. Non-redundant role of Shc in Erk activation by cytoskeletal reorganization. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:3202-11 pubmed..In summary, we have found a novel, non-redundant role for ShcA in contrast to its redundant role in many other signaling pathways. ..
- Güthe S, Kapinos L, Möglich A, Meier S, Grzesiek S, Kiefhaber T. Very fast folding and association of a trimerization domain from bacteriophage T4 fibritin. J Mol Biol. 2004;337:905-15 pubmed..The results further show that beta-hairpins allow efficient and rapid protein-protein interactions during folding. ..
- Haugstetter J, Blicher T, Ellgaard L. Identification and characterization of a novel thioredoxin-related transmembrane protein of the endoplasmic reticulum. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:8371-80 pubmed..Interestingly, TMX3 showed oxidase activity, and in human tissue-culture cells the protein was found partially in the oxidized form, potentially suggesting a function of the protein as a dithiol oxidase. ..
- Palanivelu D, Kozono D, Engel A, Suda K, Lustig A, Agre P, et al. Co-axial association of recombinant eye lens aquaporin-0 observed in loosely packed 3D crystals. J Mol Biol. 2006;355:605-11 pubmed..The interactions observed in the loosely packed 3D crystals reported here may in fact represent an in vivo association mode between AQP0 tetramers from juxtaposed membranes in the eye lens. ..
- Hoefer M, Boneberg E, Grotegut S, Kusch J, Illges H. Possible tetramerisation of the proteasome maturation factor POMP/proteassemblin/hUmp1 and its subcellular localisation. Int J Biol Macromol. 2006;38:259-67 pubmed..Moreover, localisation studies by immunofluorescence stainings and confocal microscopy revealed that POMP is present in the cytoplasm as well as in the nucleus. ..
- Haase B, Humphray S, Lyer S, Renner M, Poustka A, Mollenhauer J, et al. Molecular characterization of the porcine deleted in malignant brain tumors 1 gene (DMBT1). Gene. 2006;376:184-91 pubmed..Our data suggest that the porcine DMBT1 gene may share with the human DMBT1 gene additional intraspecific variations in the number of SRCR-coding exons. ..
- Cordier F, Hartmann B, Rogowski M, Affolter M, Grzesiek S. DNA recognition by the brinker repressor--an extreme case of coupling between binding and folding. J Mol Biol. 2006;361:659-72 pubmed..The transition from a highly flexible, completely unfolded conformation in the absence of DNA to a well-formed structure in the complex presents a very extreme case of the "coupling of binding and folding" phenomenon. ..
- Meier R, Drepper T, Svensson V, Jaeger K, Baumann U. A calcium-gated lid and a large beta-roll sandwich are revealed by the crystal structure of extracellular lipase from Serratia marcescens. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:31477-83 pubmed..The analysis of the properties of the beta-roll domains suggests an intramolecular chaperone function. ..
- Pappenberger G, Schulz Gasch T, Kusznir E, Muller F, Hennig M. Structure-assisted discovery of an aminothiazole derivative as a lead molecule for inhibition of bacterial fatty-acid synthesis. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2007;63:1208-16 pubmed..The structural information on the protein-ligand interaction offers strategies for further optimization of this low-molecular-weight compound. ..
- Schoenauer R, Lange S, Hirschy A, Ehler E, Perriard J, Agarkova I. Myomesin 3, a novel structural component of the M-band in striated muscle. J Mol Biol. 2008;376:338-51 pubmed publisher..We propose that each member of the myomesin family is a component of one of the distinct ultrastructures, the M-lines, which modulate the mechanical properties of the M-bands in different muscle types. ..
- Haacke A, Fendrich G, Ramage P, Geiser M. Chaperone over-expression in Escherichia coli: apparent increased yields of soluble recombinant protein kinases are due mainly to soluble aggregates. Protein Expr Purif. 2009;64:185-93 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest that the benefits of chaperone over-expression on the production of protein kinases in E. coli are indeed case-specific. ..
- Machauer R, Veenstra S, Rondeau J, Tintelnot Blomley M, Betschart C, Neumann U, et al. Structure-based design and synthesis of macrocyclic peptidomimetic beta-secretase (BACE-1) inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2009;19:1361-5 pubmed publisher..These inhibitors show improved enzymatic potency over their open-chain analogue. Inhibitor 3h also shows activity in a cellular system. ..
- De Groot C, Jelesarov I, Damberger F, Bjelic S, Schärer M, Bhavesh N, et al. Molecular insights into mammalian end-binding protein heterodimerization. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:5802-14 pubmed publisher..Together, our data provide molecular insights for rationalizing the dominant negative control by C-terminal EB domains and form a basis for understanding the functional role of heterotypic chain exchange by EBs in cells. ..
- Gsponer J, Ferrara P, Caflisch A. Flexibility of the murine prion protein and its Asp178Asn mutant investigated by molecular dynamics simulations. J Mol Graph Model. 2001;20:169-82 pubmed..The dynamic behavior of the D178N mutant and its minor deviation from the folded conformation suggest that the salt bridge between Arg164 and Asp178 might not be crucial for the stability of the prion protein. ..
- Dichtl B, Blank D, Sadowski M, Hubner W, Weiser S, Keller W. Yhh1p/Cft1p directly links poly(A) site recognition and RNA polymerase II transcription termination. EMBO J. 2002;21:4125-35 pubmed..We propose that direct interactions of Yhh1p/Cft1p with both the RNA transcript and the CTD are required to communicate poly(A) site recognition to elongating pol II to initiate transcription termination. ..
- Li B, Zhuang L, Reinhard M, Trueb B. The lipoma preferred partner LPP interacts with alpha-actinin. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:1359-66 pubmed..It is likely that this difference leads to slightly different roles played by LPP and zyxin during the assembly and disassembly of focal adhesions. ..
- Honnappa S, Cutting B, Jahnke W, Seelig J, Steinmetz M. Thermodynamics of the Op18/stathmin-tubulin interaction. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:38926-34 pubmed..5 compared with pH 6.8. This decrease could be attributed to a weaker binding of the C terminus of stathmin. These findings do not support the view that stathmin works as a pH-sensitive protein. ..
- Hornemann T, Kempa S, Himmel M, Hayess K, Furst D, Wallimann T. Muscle-type creatine kinase interacts with central domains of the M-band proteins myomesin and M-protein. J Mol Biol. 2003;332:877-87 pubmed..Our data propose a simple model for the regulation of this dynamic interaction. ..
- Petkovic V, Moghini C, Paoletti S, Uguccioni M, Gerber B. I-TAC/CXCL11 is a natural antagonist for CCR5. J Leukoc Biol. 2004;76:701-8 pubmed
- Kunze G, Zipfel C, Robatzek S, Niehaus K, Boller T, Felix G. The N terminus of bacterial elongation factor Tu elicits innate immunity in Arabidopsis plants. Plant Cell. 2004;16:3496-507 pubmed..In leaves of Arabidopsis plants, elf18 induces an oxidative burst and biosynthesis of ethylene, and it triggers resistance to subsequent infection with pathogenic bacteria. ..
- Grütter C, Briand C, Capitani G, Mittl P, Papin S, Tschopp J, et al. Structure of the PRYSPRY-domain: implications for autoinflammatory diseases. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:99-106 pubmed..Mutations in the PRYSPRY domains of Pyrin, which are responsible for familial Mediterranean fever, map on the putative PRYSPRY interaction site. ..
- Stiehl D, Wirthner R, Köditz J, Spielmann P, Camenisch G, Wenger R. Increased prolyl 4-hydroxylase domain proteins compensate for decreased oxygen levels. Evidence for an autoregulatory oxygen-sensing system. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:23482-91 pubmed..Furthermore, such an autoregulatory oxygen-sensing system would explain how a single mechanism works in a wide variety of differently oxygenated tissues. ..
- Schwarz Herion K, Maco B, Sauder U, Fahrenkrog B. Domain topology of the p62 complex within the 3-D architecture of the nuclear pore complex. J Mol Biol. 2007;370:796-806 pubmed..Furthermore, we found the phenylalanine-glycine (FG)-repeat domain of p62, but not of p58 and p54, to be of mobile and flexible nature. ..
- Szinnai G, Morgenthaler N, Berneis K, Struck J, Muller B, Keller U, et al. Changes in plasma copeptin, the c-terminal portion of arginine vasopressin during water deprivation and excess in healthy subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:3973-8 pubmed..01). Copeptin shows identical changes during disordered water states as previously shown for AVP. It might be a reliable marker of AVP secretion and substitute for the measurement of circulating AVP levels in clinical routine. ..
- Mac Sweeney A, Gil Parrado S, Vinzenz D, Bernardi A, Hein A, Bodendorf U, et al. Structural basis for the substrate specificity of bone morphogenetic protein 1/tolloid-like metalloproteases. J Mol Biol. 2008;384:228-39 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these substantial differences between the BMP-1 and astacin active sites, a structural basis for their differing substrate specificities is proposed. ..
- Biermann B, Ivankova Susankova K, Bradaia A, Abdel Aziz S, Besseyrias V, Kapfhammer J, et al. The Sushi domains of GABAB receptors function as axonal targeting signals. J Neurosci. 2010;30:1385-94 pubmed publisher..Our data provide a mechanistic explanation for the selective trafficking of GABA(B(1a,2)) receptors into axons while at the same time identifying a well defined axonal delivery module that can be used as an experimental tool. ..
- Sterner R, Dahm A, Darimont B, Ivens A, Liebl W, Kirschner K. (Beta alpha)8-barrel proteins of tryptophan biosynthesis in the hyperthermophile Thermotoga maritima. EMBO J. 1995;14:4395-402 pubmed..Another notable feature is the predicted lack of the N-terminal helix alpha 0 in the alpha-subunit of tryptophan synthase...
- Geering K, Crambert G, Yu C, Korneenko T, Pestov N, Modyanov N. Intersubunit interactions in human X,K-ATPases: role of membrane domains M9 and M10 in the assembly process and association efficiency of human, nongastric H,K-ATPase alpha subunits (ATP1al1) with known beta subunits. Biochemistry. 2000;39:12688-98 pubmed
- Kataoka T, Holler N, Micheau O, Martinon F, Tinel A, Hofmann K, et al. Bcl-rambo, a novel Bcl-2 homologue that induces apoptosis via its unique C-terminal extension. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:19548-54 pubmed..Thus, Bcl-rambo constitutes a novel type of pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 member that triggers cell death independently of its BH motifs. ..
- Stocker H, Andjelkovic M, Oldham S, Laffargue M, Wymann M, Hemmings B, et al. Living with lethal PIP3 levels: viability of flies lacking PTEN restored by a PH domain mutation in Akt/PKB. Science. 2002;295:2088-91 pubmed..Thus, Akt appears to be the only critical target activated by increased PIP3 concentrations in Drosophila. ..
- Kisielow M, Kleiner S, Nagasawa M, Faisal A, Nagamine Y. Isoform-specific knockdown and expression of adaptor protein ShcA using small interfering RNA. Biochem J. 2002;363:1-5 pubmed..This allowed functional analysis of individual ShcA isoforms and may be more generally applicable for studying genes encoding multiple proteins. ..
- Fritz G, Mittl P, Vasak M, Grutter M, Heizmann C. The crystal structure of metal-free human EF-hand protein S100A3 at 1.7-A resolution. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:33092-8 pubmed..Zn(2+) binding induces a large conformational change in S100A3 perturbing the hydrophobic interface between two S100A3 subunits, as shown by size exclusion chromatography and CD spectroscopy. ..
- Rubin B, Tucker R, Brown Luedi M, Martin D, Chiquet Ehrismann R. Teneurin 2 is expressed by the neurons of the thalamofugal visual system in situ and promotes homophilic cell-cell adhesion in vitro. Development. 2002;129:4697-705 pubmed..These observations indicate that the homophilic binding of teneurin 2 may play a role in the development of specific neuronal circuits in the developing visual system. ..
- Radziwill G, Erdmann R, Margelisch U, Moelling K. The Bcr kinase downregulates Ras signaling by phosphorylating AF-6 and binding to its PDZ domain. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:4663-72 pubmed..We suggest that this trimeric complex is involved in downregulation of Ras-mediated signaling at sites of cell-cell contact to maintain cells in a nonproliferating state. ..
- Lange S, Himmel M, Auerbach D, Agarkova I, Hayess K, Furst D, et al. Dimerisation of myomesin: implications for the structure of the sarcomeric M-band. J Mol Biol. 2005;345:289-98 pubmed..The new and the already previously identified myomesin interaction sites are integrated into the first three-dimensional model of the sarcomeric M-band on a molecular basis. ..
- Kukulski W, Schenk A, Johanson U, Braun T, de Groot B, Fotiadis D, et al. The 5A structure of heterologously expressed plant aquaporin SoPIP2;1. J Mol Biol. 2005;350:611-6 pubmed..This crystal packing arrangement provides access to the phosphorylated C terminus as well as the loop B phosphorylation site for studies of channel gating. ..
- Stocker A, Keis S, Vonck J, Cook G, Dimroth P. The structural basis for unidirectional rotation of thermoalkaliphilic F1-ATPase. Structure. 2007;15:904-14 pubmed..A similar bending of the gamma shaft as in the TA2F(1) structure was observed by single-particle analysis of the TA2F(1)F(o) holoenzyme. ..
- Wassmann P, Chan C, Paul R, Beck A, Heerklotz H, Jenal U, et al. Structure of BeF3- -modified response regulator PleD: implications for diguanylate cyclase activation, catalysis, and feedback inhibition. Structure. 2007;15:915-27 pubmed publisher..Here, a second mode is observed that crosslinks the DGC domains within a PleD dimer. Both modes cause noncompetitive product inhibition by domain immobilization...
- Bonvin M, Greeve J. Effects of point mutations in the cytidine deaminase domains of APOBEC3B on replication and hypermutation of hepatitis B virus in vitro. J Gen Virol. 2007;88:3270-4 pubmed
- Ahuja U, Rozhkova A, Glockshuber R, Thöny Meyer L, Einsle O. Helix swapping leads to dimerization of the N-terminal domain of the c-type cytochrome maturation protein CcmH from Escherichia coli. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:2779-86 pubmed publisher..We propose that an altered environment of the functional motif may help to discern between the two redox partners CcmG and apocytochrome c. ..
- Maglica Z, Striebel F, Weber Ban E. An intrinsic degradation tag on the ClpA C-terminus regulates the balance of ClpAP complexes with different substrate specificity. J Mol Biol. 2008;384:503-11 pubmed publisher..This simple mechanism allows for dynamic reallocation of free ClpAP versus ClpAPS in response to the presence of ssrA-tagged substrates. ..
- Steinmetz M, Akhmanova A. Capturing protein tails by CAP-Gly domains. Trends Biochem Sci. 2008;33:535-45 pubmed publisher..It is becoming increasingly clear that CAP-Gly domains are also involved in coordinating complex and diverse aspects of cell architecture and signalling. ..
- Barth S, Edlich F, Berchner Pfannschmidt U, Gneuss S, Jahreis G, Hasgall P, et al. Hypoxia-inducible factor prolyl-4-hydroxylase PHD2 protein abundance depends on integral membrane anchoring of FKBP38. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:23046-58 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that FKBP38-bound PHD2 is constantly degraded whereas cytosolic PHD2 is stable and able to function as an active prolyl-4-hydroxylase. ..
- Puklin Faucher E, Vogel V. Integrin activation dynamics between the RGD-binding site and the headpiece hinge. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:36557-68 pubmed publisher..become strengthened under force), as well as earlier evidence that Ca(2+) at the ADMIDAS results in lower binding affinity, these simulations provide a common structural model for the dynamic process by which integrins become activated. ..
- Skowronska Krawczyk D, Matter Sadzinski L, Ballivet M, Matter J. The basic domain of ATH5 mediates neuron-specific promoter activity during retina development. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:10029-39 pubmed
- Meier M, Bider M, Malashkevich V, Spiess M, Burkhard P. Crystal structure of the carbohydrate recognition domain of the H1 subunit of the asialoglycoprotein receptor. J Mol Biol. 2000;300:857-65 pubmed
- Tapernoux Lüthi E, Schneider T, Keller F. The C-terminal sequence from common bugle leaf galactan:galactan galactosyltransferase is a non-sequence-specific vacuolar sorting determinant. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:1811-8 pubmed
- Burns K, Janssens S, Brissoni B, Olivos N, Beyaert R, Tschopp J. Inhibition of interleukin 1 receptor/Toll-like receptor signaling through the alternatively spliced, short form of MyD88 is due to its failure to recruit IRAK-4. J Exp Med. 2003;197:263-8 pubmed..Thus, MyD88s acts as a negative regulator of IL-1R/TLR/MyD88-triggered signals, leading to a transcriptionally controlled negative regulation of innate immune responses. ..
- Michod D, Yang J, Chen J, Bonny C, Widmann C. A RasGAP-derived cell permeable peptide potently enhances genotoxin-induced cytotoxicity in tumor cells. Oncogene. 2004;23:8971-8 pubmed..Our results demonstrate the feasibility in enhancing the efficacy of currently used drugs to selectively kill cancer cells using peptides derived from pro-apoptotic caspase substrate fragments. ..
- Li C, Crambert G, Thuillard D, Roy S, Schaer D, Geering K. Role of the transmembrane domain of FXYD7 in structural and functional interactions with Na,K-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:42738-43 pubmed..These amino acids act in a synergistic way. These results highlight the important structural and functional role of the TM domain of FXYD7 and delineate the determinants that mediate the complex interactions of FXYD7 with Na,K-ATPase. ..
- Berset T, Hoier E, Battu G, Canevascini S, Hajnal A. Notch inhibition of RAS signaling through MAP kinase phosphatase LIP-1 during C. elegans vulval development. Science. 2001;291:1055-8 pubmed..LIN-12/NOTCH up-regulates lip-1 transcription in P5.p and P7.p where LIP-1 inactivates the MAP kinase to inhibit primary fate specification. LIP-1 thus links the two signaling pathways to generate a pattern. ..
- Genevaux P, Schwager F, Georgopoulos C, Kelley W. Scanning mutagenesis identifies amino acid residues essential for the in vivo activity of the Escherichia coli DnaJ (Hsp40) J-domain. Genetics. 2002;162:1045-53 pubmed..We propose that these clustered residues impart critical sequence determinants necessary for J-domain catalytic activity and reversible contact interface with the DnaK ATPase domain. ..
- Agostini L, Martinon F, Burns K, McDermott M, Hawkins P, Tschopp J. NALP3 forms an IL-1beta-processing inflammasome with increased activity in Muckle-Wells autoinflammatory disorder. Immunity. 2004;20:319-25 pubmed..Macrophages from Muckle-Wells patients spontaneously secrete active IL-1beta. Increased inflammasome activity is therefore likely to be the molecular basis of the symptoms associated with NALP3-dependent autoinflammatory disorders. ..
- Lovato V, Roesli C, Ahlskog J, Scheuermann J, Neri D. A monoclonal antibody prevents aggregation of the NBD1 domain of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator. Protein Eng Des Sel. 2007;20:607-14 pubmed..A solid understanding of how the DeltaPhe508 deletion leads to the disease represents an absolute requirement for the development of effective drugs against CF. ..
- Wetzel S, Ewald C, Settanni G, Jurt S, Plückthun A, Zerbe O. Residue-resolved stability of full-consensus ankyrin repeat proteins probed by NMR. J Mol Biol. 2010;402:241-58 pubmed publisher..These investigations help the understanding of repeat protein architecture and the further design of DARPins for biomedical applications where high stability is required. ..
- Wesp A, Hicke L, Palecek J, Lombardi R, Aust T, Munn A, et al. End4p/Sla2p interacts with actin-associated proteins for endocytosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:2291-306 pubmed..Combined biochemical, functional, and genetic analysis lead us to propose that End4p may mediate endocytosis through interaction with other actin-associated proteins, perhaps Rvs167p, a protein essential for endocytosis. ..
- Charrière F, Tan T, Schneider A. Mitochondrial initiation factor 2 of Trypanosoma brucei binds imported formylated elongator-type tRNA(Met). J Biol Chem. 2005;280:15659-65 pubmed..Thus, these experiments illustrate the importance of mitochondrial translation initiation for growth of procyclic T. brucei. ..
- Capitani G, Eidam O, Grutter M. Evidence for a novel domain of bacterial outer membrane ushers. Proteins. 2006;65:816-23 pubmed..Several mutations reported to abolish in vivo pilus formation cluster in this region, underlining its functional importance. ..
- Drogemuller C, Leeb T, Harlizius B, Tammen I, Distl O, Höltershinken M, et al. Congenital syndactyly in cattle: four novel mutations in the low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 4 gene (LRP4). BMC Genet. 2007;8:5 pubmed..Recently, two independent mutations in the bovine LRP4 gene have been reported as the primary cause of syndactyly in the Holstein and Angus cattle breeds...
- Cao Y, Wagner J, Hindmarsh P, Eble A, Mullis P. Isolated growth hormone deficiency: testing the little mouse hypothesis in man and exclusion of mutations within the extracellular domain of the growth hormone-releasing hormone receptor. Pediatr Res. 1995;38:962-6 pubmed..Although gross structural abnormalities in the whole gene have been ruled out in this study, mutations in the carboxyl terminus are still possible, and, therefore, the remaining part of the gene needs to be sequenced. ..
- Vukicevic M, Weder G, Boillat A, Boesch A, Kellenberger S. Trypsin cleaves acid-sensing ion channel 1a in a domain that is critical for channel gating. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:714-22 pubmed..It undergoes a conformational change during inactivation, which renders the cleavage site inaccessible to trypsin in inactivated channels. ..
- Schumann J, Mycko M, Dellabona P, Casorati G, MacDonald H. Cutting edge: influence of the TCR Vbeta domain on the selection of semi-invariant NKT cells by endogenous ligands. J Immunol. 2006;176:2064-8 pubmed..Collectively, our data demonstrate that the TCR Vbeta domain influences the selection of Valpha14i NKT cells by endogenous ligands, presumably because Vbeta7 confers higher avidity binding. ..
- Kurz T, Chou Y, Willems A, Meyer Schaller N, Hecht M, Tyers M, et al. Dcn1 functions as a scaffold-type E3 ligase for cullin neddylation. Mol Cell. 2008;29:23-35 pubmed publisher..We show that Dcn1 is necessary and sufficient for cullin neddylation in a purified recombinant system. Taken together, these data demonstrate that Dcn1 is a scaffold-like E3 ligase for cullin neddylation. ..
- Lin L, Holbro T, Alonso G, Gerosa D, Burger M. Molecular interaction between human tumor marker protein p150, the largest subunit of eIF3, and intermediate filament protein K7. J Cell Biochem. 2001;80:483-90 pubmed..Taken together, our studies suggest a new role for p150 in translation initiation, possibly by acting as an adapter molecule between the translation initiation apparatus and the cytoskeleton structure in the cell. ..
- Bagutti C, Forro G, Ferralli J, Rubin B, Chiquet Ehrismann R. The intracellular domain of teneurin-2 has a nuclear function and represses zic-1-mediated transcription. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:2957-66 pubmed
- Stahlberg H, Braun T, de Groot B, Philippsen A, Borgnia M, Agre P, et al. The 6.9-A structure of GlpF: a basis for homology modeling of the glycerol channel from Escherichia coli. J Struct Biol. 2000;132:133-41 pubmed..This property may partially explain the contradiction of glycerol diffusion but limited water permeation capacity. ..
- Berger P, Schaffitzel C, Berger I, Ban N, Suter U. Membrane association of myotubularin-related protein 2 is mediated by a pleckstrin homology-GRAM domain and a coiled-coil dimerization module. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:12177-82 pubmed..Our data indicate that phosphoinositide-protein interactions, as well as protein-protein interactions, are necessary for the correct regulation of MTMR2...
- Ferrari S, Simmen K, Dusserre Y, Muller K, Fourel G, Gilson E, et al. Chromatin domain boundaries delimited by a histone-binding protein in yeast. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:55520-30 pubmed
- Mrosek M, Meier S, Ucurum Fotiadis Z, von Castelmur E, Hedbom E, Lustig A, et al. Structural analysis of B-Box 2 from MuRF1: identification of a novel self-association pattern in a RING-like fold. Biochemistry. 2008;47:10722-30 pubmed publisher..We expect these findings to aid the future exploration of the cellular function and therapeutic potential of MuRF1. ..
- Lingaraju G, Prota A, Winkler F. Mutational studies of Pa-AGOG DNA glycosylase from the hyperthermophilic crenarchaeon Pyrobaculum aerophilum. DNA Repair (Amst). 2009;8:857-64 pubmed publisher..Our studies confirm and extend the unique characteristics of Pa-AGOG, which distinguish it from other mesophilic and thermostable GO DNA glycosylases...
- Barabino S, Ohnacker M, Keller W. Distinct roles of two Yth1p domains in 3'-end cleavage and polyadenylation of yeast pre-mRNAs. EMBO J. 2000;19:3778-87 pubmed..Finally, we find that Yth1p binds to CYC1 pre-mRNA in the vicinity of the cleavage site. Our results indicate that Yth1p is important for the integrity of CPF and participates in the recognition of the cleavage site. ..
- Vamvaca K, Vögeli B, Kast P, Pervushin K, Hilvert D. An enzymatic molten globule: efficient coupling of folding and catalysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:12860-4 pubmed..Insofar as their structural plasticity confers relaxed substrate specificity and/or catalytic promiscuity, molten globules may also be attractive starting points for the evolution of new catalysts in the laboratory. ..
- Fritzius T, Burkard G, Haas E, Heinrich J, Schweneker M, Bosse M, et al. A WD-FYVE protein binds to the kinases Akt and PKCzeta/lambda. Biochem J. 2006;399:9-20 pubmed..In summary, we describe a new binding partner for kinases, located on vesicular structures in specialized cells, which may play a role for the spatial organization of signalling cascades. ..
- Jenal U, Malone J. Mechanisms of cyclic-di-GMP signaling in bacteria. Annu Rev Genet. 2006;40:385-407 pubmed..In addition, we examine several well-established model systems for c-di-GMP signaling, including Pseudomonas, Vibrio, Caulobacter, and Salmonella. ..
- Li X, Huergo L, Gasperina A, Pedrosa F, Merrick M, Winkler F. Crystal structure of dinitrogenase reductase-activating glycohydrolase (DraG) reveals conservation in the ADP-ribosylhydrolase fold and specific features in the ADP-ribose-binding pocket. J Mol Biol. 2009;390:737-46 pubmed publisher..Modeling of the binding of the substrate ADP-ribosyl moiety to DraG is in excellent agreement with biochemical data. ..
- Ivanov D, Philippova M, Tkachuk V, Erne P, Resink T. Cell adhesion molecule T-cadherin regulates vascular cell adhesion, phenotype and motility. Exp Cell Res. 2004;293:207-18 pubmed..The data suggest that T-cad acts as an anti-adhesive signal for vascular cells, thus modulating vascular cell phenotype and migration properties. ..
- Sánchez I, Morillas M, Zobeley E, Kiefhaber T, Glockshuber R. Fast folding of the two-domain semliki forest virus capsid protein explains co-translational proteolytic activity. J Mol Biol. 2004;338:159-67 pubmed..This shows that co-translational folding of SFVP does not require additional cellular components and suggests that rapid folding is the result of molecular evolution towards efficient virus biogenesis. ..
- Geisler M, Girin M, Brandt S, Vincenzetti V, Plaza S, Paris N, et al. Arabidopsis immunophilin-like TWD1 functionally interacts with vacuolar ABC transporters. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:3393-405 pubmed..We were able to demonstrate that TWD1 binds to isolated vacuoles and has a significant impact on the uptake of metolachlor-GS and estradiol-beta-glucuronide, well-known substrates of vacuolar transporters AtMRP1 and AtMRP2...
- von Castelmur E, Marino M, Svergun D, Kreplak L, Ucurum Fotiadis Z, Konarev P, et al. A regular pattern of Ig super-motifs defines segmental flexibility as the elastic mechanism of the titin chain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:1186-91 pubmed publisher..We propose a mechanistic model based on freely jointed rigid segments that rationalizes the response to stretch of titin Ig-tandems according to molecular features. ..
- Bichsel S, Tamaskovic R, Stegert M, Hemmings B. Mechanism of activation of NDR (nuclear Dbf2-related) protein kinase by the hMOB1 protein. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:35228-35 pubmed..We show that this sequence is autoinhibitory, and our data indicate that the binding of human MOB1 to the N-terminal domain of NDR induces the release of this autoinhibition. ..
- Ferrara C, Stuart F, Sondermann P, Brünker P, Umana P. The carbohydrate at FcgammaRIIIa Asn-162. An element required for high affinity binding to non-fucosylated IgG glycoforms. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:5032-6 pubmed..This information can be exploited for the design of new antibodies with altered Fc receptor binding affinity and enhanced therapeutic potential. ..
- Hui K, Magnadottir B, Schifferli J, Inal J. CRIT peptide interacts with factor B and interferes with alternative pathway activation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;344:308-14 pubmed..Binding of CRIT-H17 to FB did not interfere with the assembly of C3bB complex. In a haemolytic assay using C2-deficient serum, CRIT-H17 interfered with AP complement activation. ..
- Kovacsovics M, Martinon F, Micheau O, Bodmer J, Hofmann K, Tschopp J. Overexpression of Helicard, a CARD-containing helicase cleaved during apoptosis, accelerates DNA degradation. Curr Biol. 2002;12:838-43 pubmed..Helicard accelerates Fas ligand-mediated DNA degradation, whereas a noncleavable or a helicase-dead Helicard mutant does not, implicating Helicard in the nuclear remodeling occurring during apoptosis. ..
- Fotiadis D, Suda K, Tittmann P, Jeno P, Philippsen A, Muller D, et al. Identification and structure of a putative Ca2+-binding domain at the C terminus of AQP1. J Mol Biol. 2002;318:1381-94 pubmed..Functional studies are now required to identify the physiological role of the Ca2+-binding site. ..
- Vamvaca K, Jelesarov I, Hilvert D. Kinetics and thermodynamics of ligand binding to a molten globular enzyme and its native counterpart. J Mol Biol. 2008;382:971-7 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate how structural plasticity may strongly perturb the thermodynamics and kinetics of transition-state recognition while negligibly affecting catalytic efficiency. ..
- Pandey A, Flück C, Mullis P. Altered heme catabolism by heme oxygenase-1 caused by mutations in human NADPH cytochrome P450 reductase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;400:374-8 pubmed publisher..Further examination of patients affected with POR deficiency will be required to assess the metabolic effects of reduced HO-1 activity in affected individuals. ..
- Capitani G, De Biase D, Aurizi C, Gut H, Bossa F, Gr tter M. Crystal structure and functional analysis of Escherichia coli glutamate decarboxylase. EMBO J. 2003;22:4027-37 pubmed publisher..We show by structure-based site-directed mutagenesis that the triple helix bundle formed by the N-termini of the protein at acidic pH is the major determinant for this behaviour...