Experts and Doctors on sympathetic nervous system in Australia
Topic: sympathetic nervous system
- Perkes I, Baguley I, Nott M, Menon D. A review of paroxysmal sympathetic hyperactivity after acquired brain injury. Ann Neurol. 2010;68:126-35 pubmed publisher..The review highlights major problems regarding conceptual definitions, diagnostic criteria, and nomenclature. Consensus on these issues is recommended as an essential basis for further research in the area. ..
- Burton A, Birznieks I, Spaak J, Henderson L, Macefield V. Effects of deep and superficial experimentally induced acute pain on skin sympathetic nerve activity in human subjects. Exp Brain Res. 2009;195:317-24 pubmed publisher..We conclude that both acute muscle and skin pain cause an increase in SSNA, sweat release and gender-dependent changes in skin blood flow. ..
- Arnolda L, McKitrick D, Llewellyn Smith I, Minson J. Nitric oxide limits pressor responses to sympathetic activation in rat spinal cord. Hypertension. 2000;36:1089-92 pubmed..These results indicate that endogenous synthesis of NO in the spinal cord limits the pressor response to stimulation of spinal NMDA receptors. ..
- Lambert E, Straznicky N, Sari C, Eikelis N, Hering D, Head G, et al. Dyslipidemia is associated with sympathetic nervous activation and impaired endothelial function in young females. Am J Hypertens. 2013;26:250-6 pubmed publisher..The sympathetic activation observed in the subjects with an elevated cholesterol profile may play a role in the development of cardiovascular disease development. ..
- McMullan S, Goodchild A, Pilowsky P. Circulating angiotensin II attenuates the sympathetic baroreflex by reducing the barosensitivity of medullary cardiovascular neurones in the rat. J Physiol. 2007;582:711-22 pubmed..We suggest that this results from activation by Ang II of a central pathway originating at the circumventricular organs. ..
- McMullan S, Pathmanandavel K, Pilowsky P, Goodchild A. Somatic nerve stimulation evokes qualitatively different somatosympathetic responses in the cervical and splanchnic sympathetic nerves in the rat. Brain Res. 2008;1217:139-47 pubmed publisher..The results are discussed with regard to the differential control of sympathetic nerve activity. ..
- Hirooka Y, Potts P, Dampney R. Role of angiotensin II receptor subtypes in mediating the sympathoexcitatory effects of exogenous and endogenous angiotensin peptides in the rostral ventrolateral medulla of the rabbit. Brain Res. 1997;772:107-14 pubmed
- James C, Stathis A, Macefield V. Vestibular and pulse-related modulation of skin sympathetic nerve activity during sinusoidal galvanic vestibular stimulation in human subjects. Exp Brain Res. 2010;202:291-8 pubmed publisher..3 +/- 8.3%), the opposite of the pattern seen with vestibular modulation of MSNA. We conclude that vestibular inputs can entrain the firing of cutaneous sympathetic neurones and increase their normally weak pulse-related rhythmicity. ..
- Meyfroidt G, Baguley I, Menon D. Paroxysmal sympathetic hyperactivity: the storm after acute brain injury. Lancet Neurol. 2017;16:721-729 pubmed publisher..New rigorous tools for diagnosis could allow better characterisation of PSH to enable stratification of patients for future therapeutic trials. ..
- McDowall L, Horiuchi J, Killinger S, Dampney R. Modulation of the baroreceptor reflex by the dorsomedial hypothalamic nucleus and perifornical area. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;290:R1020-6 pubmed
- Chen J, Schmid K, Brown B. The autonomic control of accommodation and implications for human myopia development: a review. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2003;23:401-22 pubmed..The collective results of this research point to anomalous accommodation responses, possibly as a result of underlying anomalous autonomic input to the ciliary muscle, being involved in myopia development and progression. ..
- Marsh A, Fontes M, Killinger S, Pawlak D, Polson J, Dampney R. Cardiovascular responses evoked by leptin acting on neurons in the ventromedial and dorsomedial hypothalamus. Hypertension. 2003;42:488-93 pubmed
- Morris J, Jobling P, Gibbins I. Differential inhibition by botulinum neurotoxin A of cotransmitters released from autonomic vasodilator neurons. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;281:H2124-32 pubmed
- Horiuchi J, Potts P, Tagawa T, Dampney R. Effects of activation and blockade of P2x receptors in the ventrolateral medulla on arterial pressure and sympathetic activity. J Auton Nerv Syst. 1999;76:118-26 pubmed
- Macefield V, Taylor J, Wallin B. Inhibition of muscle sympathetic outflow following transcranial cortical stimulation. J Auton Nerv Syst. 1998;68:49-57 pubmed
- Blackshaw L, Dent J. Lower oesophageal sphincter responses to noxious oesophageal chemical stimuli in the ferret: involvement of tachykinin receptors. J Auton Nerv Syst. 1997;66:189-200 pubmed..These data indicate that intra-oesophageal acid causes substance P release from extrinsic afferent nerve endings which activates local inhibitory pathways to the LOS via NK-1 receptors. ..