Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on superoxide dismutase in Australia
Topic: superoxide dismutase
- Aggarwal A, Nicholson G. Normal complement of motor units in asymptomatic familial (SOD1 mutation) amyotrophic lateral sclerosis carriers. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2001;71:478-81 pubmed..This implies that symptomatic ALS is not the end result of a slow attrition of motor neurons. ..
- Hoehn K, Salmon A, Hohnen Behrens C, Turner N, Hoy A, Maghzal G, et al. Insulin resistance is a cellular antioxidant defense mechanism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:17787-92 pubmed publisher..These data place mitochondrial superoxide at the nexus between intracellular metabolism and the control of insulin action potentially defining this as a metabolic sensor of energy excess. ..
- Houghton C, Steels E, Fassett R, Coombes J. Effects of a gliadin-combined plant superoxide dismutase extract on self-perceived fatigue in women aged 50-65 years. Phytomedicine. 2011;18:521-6 pubmed publisher..3% in the active group and 14.4% in the placebo group. In summary, the thermolabile SOD/gliadin supplement had no significant effect on self-perceived fatigue, antioxidants, oxidative stress or hormones in women aged 50-65 years. ..
- Williams J, Trias E, Beilby P, Lopez N, Labut E, Bradford C, et al. Copper delivery to the CNS by CuATSM effectively treats motor neuron disease in SOD(G93A) mice co-expressing the Copper-Chaperone-for-SOD. Neurobiol Dis. 2016;89:1-9 pubmed publisher..All ALS patients also express human CCS, raising the hope that familial SOD ALS patients could respond to CuATSM treatment similarly to the CCSxSOD mice. ..
- Andriunas F, Zhang H, Xia X, Offler C, McCurdy D, Patrick J. Reactive oxygen species form part of a regulatory pathway initiating trans-differentiation of epidermal transfer cells in Vicia faba cotyledons. J Exp Bot. 2012;63:3617-29 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that H(2)O(2) functions, downstream of ethylene, to activate cell wall biosynthesis and direct polarized deposition of a uniform wall on which WIs form...
- McAlary L, Yerbury J, Aquilina J. Glutathionylation potentiates benign superoxide dismutase 1 variants to the toxic forms associated with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Sci Rep. 2013;3:3275 pubmed publisher..This defines a key role for glutathionylation in superoxide dismutase 1 associated familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. ..
- Godfrey D, Able A, Dry I. Induction of a grapevine germin-like protein (VvGLP3) gene is closely linked to the site of Erysiphe necator infection: a possible role in defense?. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2007;20:1112-25 pubmed publisher..This data has provided an insight into the diverse nature of the GLP family in grapevine and suggests that VvGLP3 may be involved in the defense response against E. necator...
- Haleagrahara N, Siew C, Ponnusamy K. Effect of quercetin and desferrioxamine on 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) induced neurotoxicity in striatum of rats. J Toxicol Sci. 2013;38:25-33 pubmed..In conclusion, an antioxidant with iron chelator treatment showed a significant neuroprotective effect against 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) by preventing dopaminergic neuronal loss and maintaining the striatal dopamine level. ..
- Boden M, Brandon A, Tid Ang J, Preston E, Wilks D, Stuart E, et al. Overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutase ameliorates high-fat diet-induced insulin resistance in rat skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2012;303:E798-805 pubmed publisher..05), suggesting that this effect was mediated through an altered redox state. Thus interventions causing elevation of mitochondrial antioxidant activity may offer protection against diet-induced insulin resistance in skeletal muscle. ..
- Blackman L, Mitchell H, Hardham A. Characterisation of manganese superoxide dismutase from Phytophthora nicotianae. Mycol Res. 2005;109:1171-83 pubmed..Southern blots indicated that there is one copy of PnMnSOD2 in the P. nicotianae genome. PnMnSOD2 was expressed at similar levels in mycelia and germinated cysts but PnMnSOD2 transcripts were not detectable in zoospores. ..
- Oates N, Pamphlett R. An epigenetic analysis of SOD1 and VEGF in ALS. Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2007;8:83-6 pubmed..However, in view of the potential for treatment of epigenetic disorders, promoter methylation in other genes required for motor neuron survival needs to be studied. ..
- Vaughan V, Sullivan Gunn M, Hinch E, Martin P, Lewandowski P. Eicosapentaenoic acid and oxypurinol in the treatment of muscle wasting in a mouse model of cancer cachexia. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45900 pubmed publisher..In combination with EPA, there was little significant improvement from control, indicating oxypurinol is unlikely to be a viable treatment compound in cancer cachexia...
- Luquin N, Yu B, Trent R, Morahan J, Pamphlett R. An analysis of the entire SOD1 gene in sporadic ALS. Neuromuscul Disord. 2008;18:545-52 pubmed publisher..Although no unequivocal mutations were found, some of these variants have potential consequences for SALS pathogenesis. ..
- Steyn F, Ngo S, Lee J, Leong J, Buckley A, Veldhuis J, et al. Impairments to the GH-IGF-I axis in hSOD1G93A mice give insight into possible mechanisms of GH dysregulation in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Endocrinology. 2012;153:3735-46 pubmed publisher..This is the first account of disrupted GH secretion in a transgenic mouse model of ALS. These observations are essential for the development of effective GH and IGF-I targeted therapies in ALS. ..
- Siafakas A, Sorrell T, Wright L, Wilson C, Larsen M, Boadle R, et al. Cell wall-linked cryptococcal phospholipase B1 is a source of secreted enzyme and a determinant of cell wall integrity. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:37508-14 pubmed publisher..This is the first demonstration that Plb1 contributes to fungal survival by maintaining cell wall integrity and that the cell wall is a source of secreted enzyme...
- Stanton J, Wilton S, Laing N. Characterisation of the chicken Cu,Zn superoxide dismutase gene. DNA Seq. 1996;6:357-60 pubmed..This sequence was compared to SOD1 from bovine, human and Xenopus laevis. Important structural features of SOD1 are shown to be conserved in the chicken gene. ..
- O Keefe L, Colella A, Dayan S, Chen Q, Choo A, Jacob R, et al. Drosophila orthologue of WWOX, the chromosomal fragile site FRA16D tumour suppressor gene, functions in aerobic metabolism and regulates reactive oxygen species. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:497-509 pubmed publisher..Fragile sites, and the genes that span them, are therefore part of a protective response mechanism to oxidative stress and likely contributors to the differences seen in aerobic glycolysis (Warburg effect) in cancer cells. ..
- Sabaretnam T, Kritharides L, O Reilly J, Le Couteur D. The effect of aging on the response of isolated hepatocytes to hydrogen peroxide and tert-butyl hydroperoxide. Toxicol In Vitro. 2010;24:123-8 pubmed publisher..The results show that old age is associated with impaired hepatocyte responses of mitochondria, ATP, glutathione peroxidase 1 and apoE to oxidative stress...
- Figtree G, Liu C, Bibert S, Hamilton E, Garcia A, White C, et al. Reversible oxidative modification: a key mechanism of Na+-K+ pump regulation. Circ Res. 2009;105:185-93 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for pathophysiological conditions characterized by neurohormonal dysregulation, myocardial oxidative stress and raised myocyte Na(+) levels...