Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on superior cervical ganglion in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: superior cervical ganglion
- Lomb D, Straub J, Freeman R. Prolyl hydroxylase inhibitors delay neuronal cell death caused by trophic factor deprivation. J Neurochem. 2007;103:1897-906 pubmed..Thus, while HIF prolyl hydroxylase inhibitors can delay cell death in NGF-deprived neurons, they do so through distinct mechanisms that, at least in the case of DHB, are partly independent of HIF stabilization. ..
- Si M, Lee T. Presynaptic alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptors mediate nicotine-induced nitric oxidergic neurogenic vasodilation in porcine basilar arteries. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2001;298:122-8 pubmed
- Shadiack A, Sun Y, Zigmond R. Nerve growth factor antiserum induces axotomy-like changes in neuropeptide expression in intact sympathetic and sensory neurons. J Neurosci. 2001;21:363-71 pubmed..Thus, the peptide phenotype of these axotomized neurons is regulated both by the induction of an "injury factor," leukemia inhibitory factor, as shown previously, and by the reduction in a target-derived growth factor. ..
- Kirkland R, Windelborn J, Kasprzak J, Franklin J. A Bax-induced pro-oxidant state is critical for cytochrome c release during programmed neuronal death. J Neurosci. 2002;22:6480-90 pubmed..These findings indicate that Bax lies upstream from increased ROS in NGF-deprived neurons and suggest that the Bax-induced ROS burst is both necessary and sufficient for cytochrome c redistribution in these cells. ..
- Carroll S, Byer S, Dorsey D, Watson M, Schmidt R. Ganglion-specific patterns of diabetes-modulated gene expression are established in prevertebral and paravertebral sympathetic ganglia prior to the development of neuroaxonal dystrophy. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2004;63:1144-54 pubmed..These results provide support for the specificity of diabetes-modulated gene expression for selected neuronal subpopulations of sympathetic noradrenergic neurons. ..
- Wisner T, Sugimoto K, Howard P, Kawaguchi Y, Johnson D. Anterograde transport of herpes simplex virus capsids in neurons by both separate and married mechanisms. J Virol. 2011;85:5919-28 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest that one can observe anterograde transport of both HSV capsids and enveloped virus particles depending on which neurons are cultured and how the neurons are imaged. ..
- Schreiber R, Krivacic K, Kirby B, Vaccariello S, Wei T, Ransohoff R, et al. Monocyte chemoattractant protein (MCP)-1 is rapidly expressed by sympathetic ganglion neurons following axonal injury. Neuroreport. 2001;12:601-6 pubmed..This axotomy-induced neuronal MCP-1 expression may trigger the infiltration and/or activation of macrophages in SCG after injury. ..
- Kirkland R, Franklin J. Rate of neurite outgrowth in sympathetic neurons is highly resistant to suppression of protein synthesis: role of protein degradation/synthesis coupling. Neurosci Lett. 2007;411:52-5 pubmed..The result of this coupling between degradation and synthesis is that proteins can continue to accumulate even when protein synthesis rate decreases, allowing normal rates of neurite outgrowth. ..
- Wang L, Ho C, Sun D, Liem R, Brown A. Rapid movement of axonal neurofilaments interrupted by prolonged pauses. Nat Cell Biol. 2000;2:137-41 pubmed..The movement is bidirectional, but predominantly anterograde. Our data indicate that the slow rate of slow axonal transport may be the result of rapid movements interrupted by prolonged pauses. ..
- Mozayan M, Chen M, Si M, Chen P, Premkumar L, Lee T. Cholinesterase inhibitor blockade and its prevention by statins of sympathetic alpha7-nAChR-mediated cerebral nitrergic neurogenic vasodilation. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2006;26:1562-76 pubmed..The efficacy of ChEIs may be improved by concurrent use of statins. ..
- Scheiderer C, McCutchen E, Thacker E, Kolasa K, Ward M, Parsons D, et al. Sympathetic sprouting drives hippocampal cholinergic reinnervation that prevents loss of a muscarinic receptor-dependent long-term depression at CA3-CA1 synapses. J Neurosci. 2006;26:3745-56 pubmed
- Krizsan Agbas D, Pedchenko T, Hasan W, Smith P. Oestrogen regulates sympathetic neurite outgrowth by modulating brain derived neurotrophic factor synthesis and release by the rodent uterus. Eur J Neurosci. 2003;18:2760-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that oestrogen alters neuritogenic properties of the rodent uterus by regulating BDNF synthesis, which inhibits sympathetic neurite outgrowth. ..
- Zigmond R, Sun Y. Regulation of neuropeptide expression in sympathetic neurons. Paracrine and retrograde influences. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1997;814:181-97 pubmed..Expression of substance P after axotomy occurs primarily, if not entirely, because of the effects of LIF, with the removal of NGF playing no obvious role in the regulation of this peptide. ..
- Kirkland R, Saavedra G, Franklin J. Rapid activation of antioxidant defenses by nerve growth factor suppresses reactive oxygen species during neuronal apoptosis: evidence for a role in cytochrome c redistribution. J Neurosci. 2007;27:11315-26 pubmed..Readdition of NGF also immediately inhibits cytochrome c release. We present evidence that this inhibition is mediated by the rapid activation of glutathione redox cycling by NGF. ..
- O Brien J, Nathanson N. Retrograde activation of STAT3 by leukemia inhibitory factor in sympathetic neurons. J Neurochem. 2007;103:288-302 pubmed..Our results are consistent with a signaling endosome model for retrograde signaling, in which the LIF/glycoprotein 130/LIF receptor/Jak complex is internalized and transported to activate STAT3 in the cell body. ..
- Dun N, Dun S, Kwok E, Yang J, Chang J. Cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript-immunoreactivity in the rat sympatho-adrenal axis. Neurosci Lett. 2000;283:97-100 pubmed
- Si M, Long C, Yang D, Chen M, Lee T. Statins prevent beta-amyloid inhibition of sympathetic alpha7-nAChR-mediated nitrergic neurogenic dilation in porcine basilar arteries. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2005;25:1573-85 pubmed..Statins may offer an alternative strategy in the prevention and treatment of AD. ..
- Zhou Y, Deneris E, Zigmond R. Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit proteins alpha7 and beta4 decrease in the superior cervical ganglion after axotomy. J Neurobiol. 2001;46:178-92 pubmed
- Chen W, Harnett M, Smith S. Modulation of neuronal voltage-activated calcium and sodium channels by polyamines and pH. Channels (Austin). 2007;1:281-90 pubmed..Many of the observed effects can be explained by a model incorporating polyamine binding, H(+) binding and surface charge screening. ..
- McCarthy K, Tank D, Enquist L. Pseudorabies virus infection alters neuronal activity and connectivity in vitro. PLoS Pathog. 2009;5:e1000640 pubmed publisher..We suggest that formation of fusion pores between infected neurons results in electrical coupling and elevated firing rates, and that these processes may contribute to the altered neural function seen in PRV-infected animals...
- Habecker B, Sachs H, Rohrer H, Zigmond R. The dependence on gp130 cytokines of axotomy induced neuropeptide expression in adult sympathetic neurons. Dev Neurobiol. 2009;69:392-400 pubmed publisher..The increase in cholecystokinin after axotomy, however, does not require the action of these cytokines. ..
- Lin H, Liu C, Cao D, Chen P, Chen M, Lin S, et al. Endogenous methyl palmitate modulates nicotinic receptor-mediated transmission in the superior cervical ganglion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:19526-31 pubmed publisher..Endogenous PAME appears to play a role in modulation of the autonomic ganglionic transmission and to complement the vasodilator effect of NO. ..
- Suo D, Park J, Harrington A, Zweifel L, Mihalas S, Deppmann C. Coronin-1 is a neurotrophin endosomal effector that is required for developmental competition for survival. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:36-45 pubmed publisher..These results establish Coronin-1 as an essential component of a feedback loop that mediates NGF-TrkA endosome stability, recycling and signaling as a critical mechanism governing developmental competition for survival. ..
- Marko S, Damon D. VEGF promotes vascular sympathetic innervation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;294:H2646-52 pubmed publisher..In vivo, the neutralization of VEGF inhibited the reinnervation of denervated femoral arteries. These data demonstrate that target-derived VEGF plays a previously unrecognized role in promoting the growth of sympathetic axons. ..
- Niemi J, Filous A, Defrancesco A, Lindborg J, Malhotra N, Wilson G, et al. Injury-induced gp130 cytokine signaling in peripheral ganglia is reduced in diabetes mellitus. Exp Neurol. 2017;296:1-15 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest a novel mechanism for the decreased response of diabetic sympathetic and sensory neurons to injury. ..
- Shapiro M, Roche J, Kaftan E, Cruzblanca H, Mackie K, Hille B. Reconstitution of muscarinic modulation of the KCNQ2/KCNQ3 K(+) channels that underlie the neuronal M current. J Neurosci. 2000;20:1710-21 pubmed..Our data further rule out Ca(2+) as the diffusible messenger. The reconstitution of muscarinic modulation of the M current that uses cloned components should facilitate the elucidation of the muscarinic signaling mechanism. ..
- Lein P, Guo X, Shi G, Moholt Siebert M, Bruun D, Andres D. The novel GTPase Rit differentially regulates axonal and dendritic growth. J Neurosci. 2007;27:4725-36 pubmed..Modulation of the activational status of Rit may therefore represent a generalized mechanism across divergent neuronal cell types for regulating axonal versus dendritic growth modes. ..
- Bielefeld E, Henderson D. Influence of sympathetic fibers on noise-induced hearing loss in the chinchilla. Hear Res. 2007;223:11-9 pubmed..Effects of SCGectomy on OHC loss were small. Results of the study suggest that sympathetic fibers do exert some influence on susceptibility to noise, but the influence may not be a major one...
- Guo X, Lin Y, Horbinski C, Drahushuk K, Kim I, Kaplan P, et al. Dendritic growth induced by BMP-7 requires Smad1 and proteasome activity. J Neurobiol. 2001;48:120-30 pubmed..These data indicate that BMP-induced dendritic growth requires Smad1 activation and involves proteasome-mediated degradation events. ..
- Paradkar P, Roth J. Nitric oxide transcriptionally down-regulates specific isoforms of divalent metal transporter (DMT1) via NF-kappaB. J Neurochem. 2006;96:1768-77 pubmed..Results of these studies provide a general mechanism responsible for regulating DMT1 expression induced by stress-related signaling processes in vivo. ..
- Kammermeier P. Endogenous homer proteins regulate metabotropic glutamate receptor signaling in neurons. J Neurosci. 2008;28:8560-7 pubmed publisher..In both cases, RNA silencing of Homer 1a but not control RNA interference treatment prevented the PACAP effect, suggesting that it resulted specifically from native Homer 1a expression. ..
- Shoemaker S, Sachs H, Vaccariello S, Zigmond R. Reduction in nerve growth factor availability leads to a conditioning lesion-like effect in sympathetic neurons. J Neurobiol. 2006;66:1322-37 pubmed..While NGF administration did not prevent the conditioning lesion effect, this may be due to the markedly decreased ability of sympathetic neurons to accumulate the growth factor after axotomy. ..
- Long C, Chen M, Sarwinski S, Chen P, Si M, Hoffer B, et al. Monoamine uptake inhibitors block alpha7-nAChR-mediated cerebral nitrergic neurogenic vasodilation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006;291:H202-9 pubmed..These results further support the hypothesis of axo-axonal interaction in nitrergic regulation of cerebral vascular tone. ..
- Beqollari D, Betzenhauser M, Kammermeier P. Altered G-protein coupling in an mGluR6 point mutant associated with congenital stationary night blindness. Mol Pharmacol. 2009;76:992-7 pubmed publisher..Most importantly, our results indicate a switch in G-protein coupling, in which E775K loses G(o) coupling but retains coupling to G(i), which may explain the phenotype. ..
- Damon D. NGF-independent survival of postganglionic sympathetic neurons in neuronal-vascular smooth muscle cocultures. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;280:H1722-8 pubmed..The data also indicate that endothelin contributes to this effect and suggest that endothelin as well as other VSM-derived factors may play a role in the development of sympathetic innervation to the vasculature...
- LeMaster A, Krimm R, Davis B, Noel T, Forbes M, Johnson J, et al. Overexpression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor enhances sensory innervation and selectively increases neuron number. J Neurosci. 1999;19:5919-31 pubmed..These data indicate that skin-derived BDNF does not enhance survival of cutaneous sensory neurons, although it does promote neurite innervation of specific sites and sensory end organs of the skin. ..
- Si M, Lee T. Alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptors on cerebral perivascular sympathetic nerves mediate choline-induced nitrergic neurogenic vasodilation. Circ Res. 2002;91:62-9 pubmed..Endogenous choline may play an important role in regulating cerebral sympathetic activity and vascular tone. ..
- Jiang X, Hand A, Shen S, Cone R, O Rourke J. Enhanced tissue plasminogen activator synthesis by the sympathetic neurons that innervate aging vessels. J Neurosci Res. 2003;71:567-74 pubmed..The possibility that increased sympathetic nervous system plasminogenesis influences the aging process in nonvascular tissues also deserves further investigation. ..
- Vega J, Ganea D, Jonakait G. Acute down-regulation of antibody production following spinal cord injury: role of systemic catecholamines. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2003;62:848-54 pubmed..We conclude that antibody responses against i.t. antigens are attenuated acutely after SCI due to the massive release of systemic catecholamines that accompanies SCI. ..