Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on starch in Japan
- Fujita N, Yoshida M, Asakura N, Ohdan T, Miyao A, Hirochika H, et al. Function and characterization of starch synthase I using mutants in rice. Plant Physiol. 2006;140:1070-84 pubmed..In summary, this study strongly suggested that amylopectin chains are synthesized by the coordinated actions of SSI, SSIIa, and SSIIIa isoforms. ..
- Sugimoto K, Suzuki J, Nakagawa K, Hayashi S, Enomoto T, Fujita T, et al. Eucalyptus leaf extract inhibits intestinal fructose absorption, and suppresses adiposity due to dietary sucrose in rats. Br J Nutr. 2005;93:957-63 pubmed..These results indicate that ELE, which inhibits the intestinal fructose absorption, can suppress adiposity in rats that ingest large amounts of sucrose or fructose. ..
- Nakamura Y. Towards a better understanding of the metabolic system for amylopectin biosynthesis in plants: rice endosperm as a model tissue. Plant Cell Physiol. 2002;43:718-25 pubmed
- Shimada K, Oe T, Hirose Y, Komine Y. Retention behavior of cardiac steroids using cyclodextrin in the mobile phase in high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr. 1989;478:339-47 pubmed..The fluorescence intensity of 3-(1-anthroyl)-cardiac steroid was enhanced by the addition of cyclodextrin to the mobile phase. ..
- Nobusawa T, Umeda M. Very-long-chain fatty acids have an essential role in plastid division by controlling Z-ring formation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genes Cells. 2012;17:709-19 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that VLCFAs or VLCFA-containing lipids have an essential role in plastid division by controlling Z-ring formation, showing a novel function of plant VLCFAs. ..
- Kaneko T, Takahashi S, Saito K. Characterization of acid-stable glucose isomerase from Streptomyces sp., and development of single-step processes for high-fructose corn sweetener (HFCS) production. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2000;64:940-7 pubmed..The HFCS produced was about fifty percent fructose and less than 1.5% unknown oligosaccharides. ..
- Yin Y, Kobayashi Y, Sanuki A, Kondo S, Fukuda N, Ezura H, et al. Salinity induces carbohydrate accumulation and sugar-regulated starch biosynthetic genes in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L. cv. 'Micro-Tom') fruits in an ABA- and osmotic stress-independent manner. J Exp Bot. 2010;61:563-74 pubmed publisher..These two genes are differentially regulated at the transcriptional level, and AgpL1 is suggested to play a regulatory role in this event. ..
- Matsushima R, Maekawa M, Kusano M, Tomita K, Kondo H, Nishimura H, et al. Amyloplast Membrane Protein SUBSTANDARD STARCH GRAIN6 Controls Starch Grain Size in Rice Endosperm. Plant Physiol. 2016;170:1445-59 pubmed publisher..The results of this study suggest that SSG6 is a novel protein that controls SG size. SSG6 will be a useful molecular tool for future starch breeding and applications. ..
- Mita S, Murano N, Akaike M, Nakamura K. Mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana with pleiotropic effects on the expression of the gene for beta-amylase and on the accumulation of anthocyanin that are inducible by sugars. Plant J. 1997;11:841-51 pubmed..These results suggest that the sugar-regulated expression of many genes in plants might be mediated by multiple signal-transduction pathways. ..
- Fujimoto J, Kanou C, Eguchi Y, Matsuo Y. Adaptation to a starch environment and regulation of alpha-amylase in Drosophila. Biochem Genet. 1999;37:53-62 pubmed..virilis, showed higher levels of amylase activity with the starch environment and higher inducibility. These results suggest that changing the regulation of amylase is important for the adaptation to a starch environment in Drosophila. ..
- Tanimura A, Takashima M, Sugita T, Endoh R, Kikukawa M, Yamaguchi S, et al. Cryptococcus terricola is a promising oleaginous yeast for biodiesel production from starch through consolidated bioprocessing. Sci Rep. 2014;4:4776 pubmed publisher..Considering the yield and cost, lipids derived from starch using C. terricola would be a promising alternative source for biodiesel production. ..
- Begum S, Nakaba S, Oribe Y, Kubo T, Funada R. Changes in the localization and levels of starch and lipids in cambium and phloem during cambial reactivation by artificial heating of main stems of Cryptomeria japonica trees. Ann Bot. 2010;106:885-95 pubmed publisher..The observations suggest that starch and lipid droplets might be needed as sources of energy for the initiation of cambial cell division and the differentiation of xylem in Cryptomeria japonica. ..
- Suzuki M, Nagata K, Masunaga S, Kinashi Y, Sakurai Y, Maruhashi A, et al. Biodistribution of 10B in a rat liver tumor model following intra-arterial administration of sodium borocaptate (BSH)/degradable starch microspheres (DSM) emulsion. Appl Radiat Isot. 2004;61:933-7 pubmed..However, the high (10)B accumulation in the liver tumors following intra-arterial administration of BSH/DSM emulsion suggests that BSH/DSM-BNCT has the potential for application to malignant tumors in other sites...
- Maruyama K, Takeda M, Kidokoro S, Yamada K, Sakuma Y, Urano K, et al. Metabolic pathways involved in cold acclimation identified by integrated analysis of metabolites and transcripts regulated by DREB1A and DREB2A. Plant Physiol. 2009;150:1972-80 pubmed publisher..Strong freezing stress tolerance of the transgenic plants overexpressing DREB1A may depend on accumulation of these metabolites. ..
- Park J, Seyama T, Shiroma R, Ike M, Srichuwong S, Nagata K, et al. Efficient recovery of glucose and fructose via enzymatic saccharification of rice straw with soft carbohydrates. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73:1072-7 pubmed..5% in cv. Habataki and 34.1% in cv. Leafstar. Thus, rice straw with soft carbohydrates can be regarded as a novel feedstock for economically feasible production of readily-fermentable glucose and fructose for bioethanol. ..
- Shimada M, Mochizuki K, Goda T. Dietary resistant starch reduces levels of glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide mRNA along the jejunum-ileum in both normal and type 2 diabetic rats. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2008;72:2206-9 pubmed..In this study, we revealed that feeding rats with dietary resistant starch reduced the GIP mRNA levels along the entire length of the jejunoileum in both Wistar and type 2 diabetic GK rats. ..
- Roble N, Ogbonna J, Tanaka H. L-Lactic acid production from raw cassava starch in a circulating loop bioreactor with cells immobilized in loofa (Luffa cylindrica). Biotechnol Lett. 2003;25:1093-8 pubmed..76 g lactic acid g(-1) starch and 1.6 g lactic acid l(-1) h(-1), respectively...
- Kagawa A, Sugimoto A, Maximov T. Seasonal course of translocation, storage and remobilization of 13C pulse-labeled photoassimilate in naturally growing Larix gmelinii saplings. New Phytol. 2006;171:793-803 pubmed..43% of its carbon from the previous year's photoassimilate, indicating that carbon storage is a key mechanism behind autocorrelation in (isotope) dendroclimatology...
- Nakajima M, Nakayama A, Xu Z, Yamaguchi I. Gibberellin induces alpha-amylase gene in seed coat of Ipomoea nil immature seeds. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2004;68:631-7 pubmed..These observations support the idea that GAs play an important role in seed development by inducing alpha-amylase. ..
- Nakamura Y, Francisco P, Hosaka Y, Sato A, Sawada T, Kubo A, et al. Essential amino acids of starch synthase IIa differentiate amylopectin structure and starch quality between japonica and indica rice varieties. Plant Mol Biol. 2005;58:213-27 pubmed