Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on sphingosine in United States
Locale: United States
Publications119 found, 100 shown here
- Hla T. Physiological and pathological actions of sphingosine 1-phosphate. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2004;15:513-20 pubmed
- Sefcik L, Aronin C, Awojoodu A, Shin S, Mac Gabhann F, Macdonald T, et al. Selective activation of sphingosine 1-phosphate receptors 1 and 3 promotes local microvascular network growth. Tissue Eng Part A. 2011;17:617-29 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the effectiveness of S1P(1) and S1P(3) receptor-selective agonists (such as FTY720) in promoting microvascular growth for tissue engineering applications. ..
- Chung T, Crilly K, Anderson W, Mukherjee J, Kiss Z. ATP-dependent choline phosphate-induced mitogenesis in fibroblasts involves activation of pp70 S6 kinase and phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinase through an extracellular site. Synergistic mitogenic effects of choline phosphate and sphingosine 1-phosphate. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:3064-72 pubmed..The results indicate that in the presence of extracellular ATP and/or S1P, ChoP induces mitogenesis through an extracellular site by mechanisms involving the activation of pp70 S6 kinase and, to a lesser extent, PI 3'-kinase. ..
- Sanchez T, Estrada Hernandez T, Paik J, Wu M, Venkataraman K, Brinkmann V, et al. Phosphorylation and action of the immunomodulator FTY720 inhibits vascular endothelial cell growth factor-induced vascular permeability. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:47281-90 pubmed
- Ruoho A, Chu U, Ramachandran S, FONTANILLA D, Mavlyutov T, Hajipour A. The ligand binding region of the sigma-1 receptor: studies utilizing photoaffinity probes, sphingosine and N-alkylamines. Curr Pharm Des. 2012;18:920-9 pubmed..A proposed model for the sigma-1 receptor is presented. ..
- Jatana M, Giri S, Singh A. Apoptotic positive cells in Krabbe brain and induction of apoptosis in rat C6 glial cells by psychosine. Neurosci Lett. 2002;330:183-7 pubmed..These results indicate that psychosine may play a role in apoptotic cell loss observed in GLD brain...
- Kawamori T, Osta W, Johnson K, Pettus B, Bielawski J, Tanaka T, et al. Sphingosine kinase 1 is up-regulated in colon carcinogenesis. FASEB J. 2006;20:386-8 pubmed..These results suggest that the SK1/S1P pathway may play an important role in colon carcinogenesis, in part, by regulating COX-2 expression and PGE2 production. ..
- Wang L, Lee J, Lin C, Lee M. Rho GTPases mediated integrin alpha v beta 3 activation in sphingosine-1-phosphate stimulated chemotaxis of endothelial cells. Histochem Cell Biol. 2008;129:579-88 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data indicate that the S1P-mediated signaling via the S1P1/Gi/Rho GTPases pathway activates integrin alpha v beta 3, which is indispensable for S1P-stimulated chemotactic response of ECs. ..
- Baker D, Barth J, Chang R, Obeid L, Gilkeson G. Genetic sphingosine kinase 1 deficiency significantly decreases synovial inflammation and joint erosions in murine TNF-alpha-induced arthritis. J Immunol. 2010;185:2570-9 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that SphK1 plays a key role in hTNF-alpha-induced inflammatory arthritis via impacting synovial inflammation and osteoclast number. ..
- Dziak R, Yang B, Leung B, Li S, Marzec N, Margarone J, et al. Effects of sphingosine-1-phosphate and lysophosphatidic acid on human osteoblastic cells. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2003;68:239-49 pubmed..RTPCR studies revealed that edg-1,2,4,5 receptors are present in the primary normal osteoblastic cells, the MG63 and G292 cells. Only the G292 cells expressed the edg-3 receptor to any significant extent. ..
- Chae S, Proia R, Hla T. Constitutive expression of the S1P1 receptor in adult tissues. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2004;73:141-50 pubmed..We show that S1P1 is widely expressed in various cell types of adult mouse tissues, suggesting a regulatory role of this receptor in numerous physiological processes in both vascular and non-vascular tissues. ..
- Venkataraman K, Thangada S, Michaud J, Oo M, Ai Y, Lee Y, et al. Extracellular export of sphingosine kinase-1a contributes to the vascular S1P gradient. Biochem J. 2006;397:461-71 pubmed..These results suggest that export of Sphk-1a occurs under physiological conditions and may contribute to the establishment of the vascular S1P gradient. ..
- Siow D, Wattenberg B. An assay system for measuring the acute production of sphingosine 1-phosphate in intact monolayers. Anal Biochem. 2007;371:184-93 pubmed..Overall, this assay is ideal for future studies to identify changes in S1P production in intact cells such as those that result from the differential intracellular targeting of sphingosine kinase...
- Eskan M, Rose B, Benakanakere M, Lee M, Kinane D. Sphingosine 1-phosphate 1 and TLR4 mediate IFN-beta expression in human gingival epithelial cells. J Immunol. 2008;180:1818-25 pubmed..The functional association between TLR4 and the S1P1 receptor demonstrates a novel mechanism in the regulation of IFN-beta and CXCL-10 in human primary gingival epithelial cells. ..
- Gibbs T, Rubio M, Zhang Z, Xie Y, Kipp K, Meier K. Signal transduction responses to lysophosphatidic acid and sphingosine 1-phosphate in human prostate cancer cells. Prostate. 2009;69:1493-506 pubmed publisher..Other responses to the lipid mediators, such as PLD activation, likely contribute to other cellular outcomes. ..
- Hla T, Lee M, Ancellin N, Liu C, Thangada S, Thompson B, et al. Sphingosine-1-phosphate: extracellular mediator or intracellular second messenger?. Biochem Pharmacol. 1999;58:201-7 pubmed..Better knowledge of the molecular basis of SPP action is needed to assess the physiological and pathophysiological significance of this bioactive lipid mediator. ..
- Itagaki K, Kannan K, Hauser C. Lysophosphatidic acid triggers calcium entry through a non-store-operated pathway in human neutrophils. J Leukoc Biol. 2005;77:181-9 pubmed..Unlike S1P, LPA has stimulatory effects on neutrophil respiratory burst. ..
- Dudek S, Camp S, Chiang E, Singleton P, Usatyuk P, Zhao Y, et al. Pulmonary endothelial cell barrier enhancement by FTY720 does not require the S1P1 receptor. Cell Signal. 2007;19:1754-64 pubmed..These results mechanistically characterize pulmonary vascular barrier regulation by FTY720, suggesting a novel barrier-enhancing pathway for modulating vascular permeability. ..
- Lyons J, Karin N. A role for G protein-coupled lysophospholipid receptors in sphingolipid-induced Ca2+ signaling in MC3T3-E1 osteoblastic cells. J Bone Miner Res. 2001;16:2035-42 pubmed..The data support a model in which SPP and SPC bind Edg-1 and/or Edg-5 receptors in osteoblasts leading to the release of Ca2+ from the ER through IP3-gated channels. ..
- Hammad S, Pierce J, Soodavar F, Smith K, Al Gadban M, Rembiesa B, et al. Blood sphingolipidomics in healthy humans: impact of sample collection methodology. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:3074-87 pubmed publisher..Per particle, VLDL contained the highest levels of SM, Cer, and S1P. HPLC-MS/MS should provide a tool for clinical testing of circulating bioactive sphingolipids in human blood. ..
- Espinosa P, Berger J. Delayed fingolimod-associated asystole. Mult Scler. 2011;17:1387-9 pubmed publisher..We report a patient with MS who developed asystole and sustained bradycardia 21 hours after the first dose of fingolimod. ..
- Micoli K, Pan G, Wu Y, Williams J, Cook W, McDonald J. Requirement of calmodulin binding by HIV-1 gp160 for enhanced FAS-mediated apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:1233-40 pubmed..The data indicate that gp160-enhanced apoptosis is dependent upon calmodulin up-regulation, involves the activation of caspase 3, and requires calmodulin binding to the C-terminal binding domain of gp160. ..
- Laychock S, Tian Y, Sessanna S. Endothelial differentiation gene receptors in pancreatic islets and INS-1 cells. Diabetes. 2003;52:1986-93 pubmed..Thus, EDG receptors are expressed in pancreatic islet beta-cells and G(i) seems to mediate the inhibition by SPP of adenylyl cyclase and cAMP formation and inhibition of the stimulation of insulin secretion by GLP-1. ..
- Xin M, Deng X. Protein phosphatase 2A enhances the proapoptotic function of Bax through dephosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:18859-67 pubmed..Thus, PP2A may function as a physiological Bax regulatory phosphatase that not only dephosphorylates Bax but also activates its proapoptotic function. ..
- Snider A, Kawamori T, Bradshaw S, Orr K, Gilkeson G, Hannun Y, et al. A role for sphingosine kinase 1 in dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis. FASEB J. 2009;23:143-52 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of SK1 may prove to be a valuable therapeutic target by inhibiting systemic and local inflammation in IBD. ..
- Taha T, Argraves K, Obeid L. Sphingosine-1-phosphate receptors: receptor specificity versus functional redundancy. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1682:48-55 pubmed
- Zaslavsky A, Li S, Xu Y. Sphingosine-1-phosphate induces a PDGFR-dependent cell detachment via inhibiting beta1 integrin in HEK293 cells. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:3899-906 pubmed..G(i) protein and ERK activation were required for the cell detachment induced by S1P, suggesting an endogenous receptor for S1P is likely to be involved. ..
- Argraves K, Argraves W. HDL serves as a S1P signaling platform mediating a multitude of cardiovascular effects. J Lipid Res. 2007;48:2325-33 pubmed..This review article summarizes the evidence that S1P as a component of HDL serves to regulate vascular cell and lymphocyte behaviors associated with cardiovascular (patho)physiology...
- Liu Q, Alinari L, Chen C, Yan F, Dalton J, Lapalombella R, et al. FTY720 shows promising in vitro and in vivo preclinical activity by downmodulating Cyclin D1 and phospho-Akt in mantle cell lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16:3182-92 pubmed publisher..Because of the absence of curative therapy for MCL, we explored FTY720 as a novel agent against MCL...
- Yadav V, Bourdette D. New disease-modifying therapies and new challenges for MS. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2012;12:489-91 pubmed publisher..It may also increase the risk of serious herpes infections and paradoxical activation of MS. More information is needed about these serious side effects from fingolimod to allow us to use it safely in patients. ..
- Giltiay N, Karakashian A, Alimov A, Ligthle S, Nikolova Karakashian M. Ceramide- and ERK-dependent pathway for the activation of CCAAT/enhancer binding protein by interleukin-1beta in hepatocytes. J Lipid Res. 2005;46:2497-505 pubmed..These results suggest that ceramide and ERK mediate a pathway in the IL-1beta signaling cascade, which results in rapid posttranslational activation of C/EBPbeta. ..
- Young N, Van Brocklyn J. Roles of sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) receptors in malignant behavior of glioma cells. Differential effects of S1P2 on cell migration and invasiveness. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:1615-27 pubmed..Thus, while S1P(2) decreases glioma cell motility, it may enhance invasion through induction of proteins that modulate glioma cell interaction with the extracellular matrix. ..
- Eskan M, Rose B, Benakanakere M, Zeng Q, Fujioka D, Martin M, et al. TLR4 and S1P receptors cooperate to enhance inflammatory cytokine production in human gingival epithelial cells. Eur J Immunol. 2008;38:1138-47 pubmed publisher..This cooperation between TLR4 and S1P1 or S1P3 demonstrates that TLR4 and GPCR can interact to enhance cytokine production in epithelial cells. ..
- Detournay O, Weis V. Role of the sphingosine rheostat in the regulation of cnidarian-dinoflagellate symbioses. Biol Bull. 2011;221:261-9 pubmed..These data suggest that the sphingosine rheostat may play a role in the balance between stability and dysfunction in cnidarian-dinoflagellate symbioses. ..
- Li M, Hla T, Ferrer F. FTY720 inhibits tumor growth and enhances the tumor-suppressive effect of topotecan in neuroblastoma by interfering with the sphingolipid signaling pathway. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2013;60:1418-23 pubmed publisher..Its unique death signaling mechanism, interference with the sphingolipid pathway, acts cooperatively with that of topotecan, suggesting that FTY720 related molecules may be useful in NB treatment. ..
- Garris C, Wu L, Acharya S, Arac A, Blaho V, Huang Y, et al. Defective sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor 1 (S1P1) phosphorylation exacerbates TH17-mediated autoimmune neuroinflammation. Nat Immunol. 2013;14:1166-72 pubmed publisher..S1P1 directly activated the Jak-STAT3 signal-transduction pathway via IL-6. Impaired S1P1 phosphorylation enhances TH17 polarization and exacerbates autoimmune neuroinflammation. These mechanisms may be pathogenic in MS. ..
- Sanchez T, Skoura A, Wu M, Casserly B, Harrington E, Hla T. Induction of vascular permeability by the sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor-2 (S1P2R) and its downstream effectors ROCK and PTEN. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27:1312-8 pubmed..S1P2R activation in endothelial cells increases vascular permeability. The balance of S1P1 and S1P2 receptors in the endothelium may determine the regulation of vascular permeability by S1P. ..
- Do J, Foucras G, Kamada N, Schenk A, Shaw M, Nunez G, et al. Both exogenous commensal and endogenous self antigens stimulate T cell proliferation under lymphopenic conditions. Cell Immunol. 2012;272:117-23 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that T cell proliferation under lymphopenic conditions is a heterogeneous process triggered by both exogenous commensal and endogenous self antigens. ..
- Liu Q, Rehman H, Shi Y, Krishnasamy Y, Lemasters J, Smith C, et al. Inhibition of sphingosine kinase-2 suppresses inflammation and attenuates graft injury after liver transplantation in rats. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41834 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, SK2 plays an important role in hepatic inflammation responses and graft injury after cold storage/transplantation and represents a new therapeutic target for liver graft failure. ..
- Orr Gandy K, Obeid L. Targeting the sphingosine kinase/sphingosine 1-phosphate pathway in disease: review of sphingosine kinase inhibitors. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1831:157-66 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Advances in Lysophospholipid Research. ..
- Qin X, Yue Z, Sun B, Yang W, Xie J, Ni E, et al. Sphingosine and FTY720 are potent inhibitors of the transient receptor potential melastatin 7 (TRPM7) channels. Br J Pharmacol. 2013;168:1294-312 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we also tested the effects of the structural analogues of SPH, N,N-dimethyl-D-erythro-sphingosine (DMS), ceramides and FTY720 on TRPM7...
- Kelley G, Reks S, Smrcka A. Hormonal regulation of phospholipase Cepsilon through distinct and overlapping pathways involving G12 and Ras family G-proteins. Biochem J. 2004;378:129-39 pubmed..In addition, the stimulation by LPA and S1P is also partly sensitive to pertussis toxin. These studies demonstrate diverse hormonal regulation of PLCepsilon by distinct and overlapping pathways. ..
- Venkataraman K, Lee Y, Michaud J, Thangada S, Ai Y, Bonkovsky H, et al. Vascular endothelium as a contributor of plasma sphingosine 1-phosphate. Circ Res. 2008;102:669-76 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the vascular endothelium, in addition to the hematopoietic system, is a major contributor of plasma S1P. ..
- Kim C, Wu W, Wysoczynski M, Abdel Latif A, Sunkara M, Morris A, et al. Conditioning for hematopoietic transplantation activates the complement cascade and induces a proteolytic environment in bone marrow: a novel role for bioactive lipids and soluble C5b-C9 as homing factors. Leukemia. 2012;26:106-16 pubmed publisher..We conclude that an increase in BM levels of proteolytic enzyme-resistant S1P and C1P and activation of CC, which leads to the generation of MAC, has an important and previously underappreciated role in the homing of transplanted HSPCs. ..
- Nagiec M, Skrzypek M, Nagiec E, Lester R, Dickson R. The LCB4 (YOR171c) and LCB5 (YLR260w) genes of Saccharomyces encode sphingoid long chain base kinases. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:19437-42 pubmed..cerevisiae. Potential mammalian cDNA homologs of the LCB kinase genes may prove useful in helping to understand the function of sphingosine 1-phosphate in mammals. ..
- Megidish T, Cooper J, Zhang L, Fu H, Hakomori S. A novel sphingosine-dependent protein kinase (SDK1) specifically phosphorylates certain isoforms of 14-3-3 protein. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:21834-45 pubmed
- Mao C, Saba J, Obeid L. The dihydrosphingosine-1-phosphate phosphatases of Saccharomyces cerevisiae are important regulators of cell proliferation and heat stress responses. Biochem J. 1999;342 Pt 3:667-75 pubmed..In addition, this study implicates sphingolipids and their metabolism in the regulation of growth and heat stress responses of the yeast S. cerevisiae. ..
- Baudhuin L, Jiang Y, Zaslavsky A, Ishii I, Chun J, Xu Y. S1P3-mediated Akt activation and cross-talk with platelet-derived growth factor receptor (PDGFR). FASEB J. 2004;18:341-3 pubmed..This is the first report demonstrating a unique interaction between S1P3 and PDGFR, in addition to demonstrating a specific role for S1P3 in S1P-induced Akt activation. ..
- Kim K, Ren J, Jiang Y, Ebrahem Q, Tipps R, Cristina K, et al. GPR4 plays a critical role in endothelial cell function and mediates the effects of sphingosylphosphorylcholine. FASEB J. 2005;19:819-21 pubmed..Moreover, the effects of SPC on EC require SPC induced trans-phosphorylation and activation of the VEGF receptor 2. These results identify SPC and its receptor, GPR4, as critical regulators of the angiogenic potential of EC. ..
- Mare L, Iatta R, Montagna M, Luberto C, Del Poeta M. APP1 transcription is regulated by inositol-phosphorylceramide synthase 1-diacylglycerol pathway and is controlled by ATF2 transcription factor in Cryptococcus neoformans. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:36055-64 pubmed publisher..These studies provide novel regulatory mechanisms of the sphingolipid pathway involved in the regulation of gene transcription of C. neoformans...
- Hu W, Bielawski J, Samad F, Merrill A, Cowart L. Palmitate increases sphingosine-1-phosphate in C2C12 myotubes via upregulation of sphingosine kinase message and activity. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:1852-62 pubmed publisher..3-fold. These data suggest that the impact of elevated FFA on sphingolipids reaches beyond ceramides and de novo sphingolipid synthesis. Moreover, these findings identify PAL as a novel regulatory stimulus for SK1. ..
- Cohen J, Barkhof F, Comi G, Hartung H, Khatri B, Montalban X, et al. Oral fingolimod or intramuscular interferon for relapsing multiple sclerosis. N Engl J Med. 2010;362:402-15 pubmed publisher..Fingolimod (FTY720), a sphingosine-1-phosphate-receptor modulator that prevents lymphocyte egress from lymph nodes, showed clinical efficacy and improvement on imaging in a phase 2 study involving patients with multiple sclerosis...
- Snider A, Wu B, Jenkins R, Sticca J, Kawamori T, Hannun Y, et al. Loss of neutral ceramidase increases inflammation in a mouse model of inflammatory bowel disease. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2012;99:124-30 pubmed publisher..Taken together these data demonstrate that loss of nCDase results in an unexpected increase in S1P generation in inflammation, and suggests that nCDase may actually protect against inflammation. ..
- Johnson K, Becker K, Facchinetti M, Hannun Y, Obeid L. PKC-dependent activation of sphingosine kinase 1 and translocation to the plasma membrane. Extracellular release of sphingosine-1-phosphate induced by phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate (PMA). J Biol Chem. 2002;277:35257-62 pubmed..These results demonstrate a novel mechanism by which PKC regulates SK and increases secretion of S1P, allowing for autocrine/paracrine signaling. ..
- Esch S, Williams T, Biswas S, Chakrabarty A, Levine S. Sphingolipid profile in the CNS of the twitcher (globoid cell leukodystrophy) mouse: a lipidomics approach. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2003;49:779-87 pubmed
- Mastrandrea L, Sessanna S, Laychock S. Sphingosine kinase activity and sphingosine-1 phosphate production in rat pancreatic islets and INS-1 cells: response to cytokines. Diabetes. 2005;54:1429-36 pubmed..Thus, IL-1beta and TNF-alpha induced an early and sustained increase in SPHK activity in INS-1 cells and isolated islets, suggesting that S1P plays a role in the pathological response of pancreatic beta-cells to cytokines. ..
- Oo M, Thangada S, Wu M, Liu C, Macdonald T, Lynch K, et al. Immunosuppressive and anti-angiogenic sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor-1 agonists induce ubiquitinylation and proteasomal degradation of the receptor. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:9082-9 pubmed..We propose that the ability of FTY720-P to target the S1P1 receptor to the ubiquitinylation and proteasomal degradation pathway may at least in part underlie its immunosuppressive and anti-angiogenic properties. ..
- Neviani P, Santhanam R, Oaks J, Eiring A, Notari M, Blaser B, et al. FTY720, a new alternative for treating blast crisis chronic myelogenous leukemia and Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:2408-21 pubmed..Altogether, these results highlight the therapeutic relevance of rescuing PP2A tumor suppressor activity in Ph1 leukemias and strongly support the introduction of the PP2A activator FTY720 in the treatment of CML-BC and Ph1 ALL patients...
- Jenkins R, Clarke C, Canals D, Snider A, Gault C, Heffernan Stroud L, et al. Regulation of CC ligand 5/RANTES by acid sphingomyelinase and acid ceramidase. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:13292-303 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data identify a novel role for aSMase (particularly S-SMase) in chemokine elaboration by pro-inflammatory cytokines and highlight a novel and shared function for aSMase and aCDase. ..
- Li M, Hla T, Ferrer F. Sphingolipid modulation of angiogenic factor expression in neuroblastoma. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2011;4:1325-32 pubmed publisher..Modulation of sphingolipid signaling by inhibiting S1P(2) may constitute a novel strategy to control NB. ..
- Canals D, Roddy P, Hannun Y. Protein phosphatase 1? mediates ceramide-induced ERM protein dephosphorylation: a novel mechanism independent of phosphatidylinositol 4, 5-biphosphate (PIP2) and myosin/ERM phosphatase. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:10145-55 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate a novel, acute mechanism of ERM regulation dependent on PP1? and plasma membrane ceramide. ..
- Gandy K, Canals D, Adada M, Wada M, Roddy P, Snider A, et al. Sphingosine 1-phosphate induces filopodia formation through S1PR2 activation of ERM proteins. Biochem J. 2013;449:661-72 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results demonstrate a novel mechanism by which S1P regulates cellular architecture that requires S1PR2 and subsequent phosphorylation of ERM proteins...
- Wilkerson B, Grass G, Wing S, Argraves W, Argraves K. Sphingosine 1-phosphate (S1P) carrier-dependent regulation of endothelial barrier: high density lipoprotein (HDL)-S1P prolongs endothelial barrier enhancement as compared with albumin-S1P via effects on levels, trafficking, and signaling of S1P1. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:44645-53 pubmed publisher..Together, the findings reveal S1P carrier-specific effects on S1P1 and point to HDL as the physiological mediator of sustained S1P1-PI3K-Akt-eNOS-sGC-dependent EC barrier function. ..
- Dany M. Sphingosine metabolism as a therapeutic target in cutaneous melanoma. Transl Res. 2017;185:1-12 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on defining the role of sphingolipid metabolism in melanoma carcinogenesis, discussing sphingolipid-based therapeutic approaches, and highlighting the areas that require more extensive research. ..
- Dany M, Elston D. Gene expression of sphingolipid metabolism pathways is altered in hidradenitis suppurativa. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:268-273.e6 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that sphingolipid metabolism is altered in HS lesional skin compared with normal skin. ..
- Lee M, Van Brocklyn J, Thangada S, Liu C, Hand A, Menzeleev R, et al. Sphingosine-1-phosphate as a ligand for the G protein-coupled receptor EDG-1. Science. 1998;279:1552-5 pubmed..Overexpression of EDG-1 induced exaggerated cell-cell aggregation, enhanced expression of cadherins, and formation of well-developed adherens junctions in a manner dependent on SPP and the small guanine nucleotide binding protein Rho. ..
- Skrzypek M, Nagiec M, Lester R, Dickson R. Analysis of phosphorylated sphingolipid long-chain bases reveals potential roles in heat stress and growth control in Saccharomyces. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:1134-40 pubmed..Our procedure should expedite experiments to determine how the synthesis and breakdown of these compounds is regulated and how the compounds mediate resistance to elevated temperature. ..
- Dickson R, Lester R. Metabolism and selected functions of sphingolipids in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1438:305-21 pubmed..Finally, we discuss recent clues that may help to reveal how sphingolipid synthesis and total cellular sphingolipid content are regulated. ..
- Zhang X, Skrzypek M, Lester R, Dickson R. Elevation of endogenous sphingolipid long-chain base phosphates kills Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells. Curr Genet. 2001;40:221-33 pubmed..These and other data indicate the existence of an unknown mechanism(s) for regulating LCB levels. Our results demonstrate that LCBPs may be used in some circumstances to regulate yeast cell growth. ..
- Argraves K, Gazzolo P, Groh E, Wilkerson B, Matsuura B, Twal W, et al. High density lipoprotein-associated sphingosine 1-phosphate promotes endothelial barrier function. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:25074-81 pubmed publisher..Together, the findings indicate that HDL has endothelial barrier promoting activities, which are attributable to its S1P component and signaling through the S1P1/Akt pathway. ..
- Estrada R, Wang L, Jala V, Lee J, Lin C, Gray R, et al. Ligand-induced nuclear translocation of S1P(1) receptors mediates Cyr61 and CTGF transcription in endothelial cells. Histochem Cell Biol. 2009;131:239-49 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest a novel S1P-S1P(1) signaling axis present in the nuclear compartment of endothelial cells, which may regulate biological responses of endothelium. ..
- Ratajczak M, Lee H, Wysoczynski M, Wan W, Marlicz W, Laughlin M, et al. Novel insight into stem cell mobilization-plasma sphingosine-1-phosphate is a major chemoattractant that directs the egress of hematopoietic stem progenitor cells from the bone marrow and its level in peripheral blood increases during mobilization du. Leukemia. 2010;24:976-85 pubmed publisher..We conclude and propose a new paradigm that S1P is a crucial chemoattractant for BM-residing HSPCs and that CC through MAC induces the release of S1P from erythrocytes for optimal egress/mobilization of HSPCs. ..
- Schneider G, Bryndza E, Abdel Latif A, Ratajczak J, Maj M, Tarnowski M, et al. Bioactive lipids S1P and C1P are prometastatic factors in human rhabdomyosarcoma, and their tissue levels increase in response to radio/chemotherapy. Mol Cancer Res. 2013;11:793-807 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that bioactive lipids play a vital role in dissemination of RMS and contribute to the unwanted side effects of radio/chemotherapy by creating a prometastatic microenvironment...
- Ota K, Quint P, Ruan M, Pederson L, Westendorf J, Khosla S, et al. TGF-? induces Wnt10b in osteoclasts from female mice to enhance coupling to osteoblasts. Endocrinology. 2013;154:3745-52 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that TGF-?1 stimulates Wnt10b production in osteoclasts, which may enhance restoration of the bone lost during the resorptive phase of bone turnover. ..
- Hla T. Sphingosine 1-phosphate receptors. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2001;64:135-42 pubmed..Despite these recent findings, much needs to be clarified with respect to the physiological role of SPP synthesis and action. This review will focus on the recent findings on SPP receptors and the effects on the cardiovascular system. ..
- Sprott K, Chumley M, Hanson J, Dobrowsky R. Decreased activity and enhanced nuclear export of CCAAT-enhancer-binding protein beta during inhibition of adipogenesis by ceramide. Biochem J. 2002;365:181-91 pubmed
- Fernandez S, Jose P, Avdiushko M, Kaplan A, Cohen D. Inhibition of IL-10 receptor function in alveolar macrophages by Toll-like receptor agonists. J Immunol. 2004;172:2613-20 pubmed..These findings demonstrate a novel regulatory mechanism that may allow AM to overcome inhibitory effects of constitutive IL-10 in the lungs that may permit a more effective response to pulmonary infections. ..
- Sultan I, Senkal C, Ponnusamy S, Bielawski J, Szulc Z, Bielawska A, et al. Regulation of the sphingosine-recycling pathway for ceramide generation by oxidative stress, and its role in controlling c-Myc/Max function. Biochem J. 2006;393:513-21 pubmed
- Kohno M, Momoi M, Oo M, Paik J, Lee Y, Venkataraman K, et al. Intracellular role for sphingosine kinase 1 in intestinal adenoma cell proliferation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7211-23 pubmed..Our findings suggest that Sphk1 plays a critical role in intestinal tumor cell proliferation and that inhibitors of Sphk1 may be useful in the control of intestinal cancer. ..
- Bu S, Kapanadze B, Hsu T, Trojanowska M. Opposite effects of dihydrosphingosine 1-phosphate and sphingosine 1-phosphate on transforming growth factor-beta/Smad signaling are mediated through the PTEN/PPM1A-dependent pathway. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:19593-602 pubmed publisher..PTEN-mediated cross-talk between the sphingolipid and TGF-beta signaling pathways may play an important role in physiological and pathological TGF-beta signaling. ..
- Kawamori T, Kaneshiro T, Okumura M, Maalouf S, Uflacker A, Bielawski J, et al. Role for sphingosine kinase 1 in colon carcinogenesis. FASEB J. 2009;23:405-14 pubmed publisher..These results are the first in vivo evidence that the SphK1/S1P pathway contributes to colon carcinogenesis and that inhibition of this pathway is a potential target for chemoprevention. ..
- Canals D, Jenkins R, Roddy P, Hernandez Corbacho M, Obeid L, Hannun Y. Differential effects of ceramide and sphingosine 1-phosphate on ERM phosphorylation: probing sphingolipid signaling at the outer plasma membrane. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:32476-85 pubmed publisher..The approach also defines a tool kit to probe sphingolipid signaling at the plasma membrane. ..
- Nelson C, Otis J, Carey H. Global analysis of circulating metabolites in hibernating ground squirrels. Comp Biochem Physiol Part D Genomics Proteomics. 2010;5:265-73 pubmed publisher..IBA. Our results identified several biochemical changes not previously observed in the seasonal hibernation cycle, including some that may provide insight into the metabolic limitations of mammalian torpor...
- El Shewy H, Abdel Samie S, Al Qalam A, Lee M, Kitatani K, Anelli V, et al. Phospholipase C and protein kinase C-? 2 mediate insulin-like growth factor II-dependent sphingosine kinase 1 activation. Mol Endocrinol. 2011;25:2144-56 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data provide evidence that activation of PLC and PKC?2 by the IGF-II/M6P receptor are required for the activation of SK1. ..
- Orr Gandy K, Adada M, Canals D, Carroll B, Roddy P, Hannun Y, et al. Epidermal growth factor-induced cellular invasion requires sphingosine-1-phosphate/sphingosine-1-phosphate 2 receptor-mediated ezrin activation. FASEB J. 2013;27:3155-66 pubmed publisher..In this work, a novel mechanism of EGF-stimulated invasion is unveiled, whereby S1P-mediated activation of S1PR2 and phosphorylation of ezrin T567 is required...