Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on spermatozoa in United States
Locale: United States
Publications214 found, 100 shown here
- Card C, Krieger K, Kaproth M, Sartini B. Oligo-dT selected spermatozoal transcript profiles differ among higher and lower fertility dairy sires. Anim Reprod Sci. 2017;177:105-123 pubmed publisher..Using high-throughput sequencing, candidate spermatozoal transcripts were identified for further study as potential markers for sire fertility. ..
- Agca Y. Genome resource banking of biomedically important laboratory animals. Theriogenology. 2012;78:1653-65 pubmed publisher..Emphasis will be given to application of genome resource banks to species with substantial contributions to the advancement of biomedicine and human health. ..
- Coronel C, San Agustin J, Lardy H. Purification and structure of caltrin-like proteins from seminal vesicle of the guinea pig. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:6854-9 pubmed..E., San Agustin, J., and Lardy, H.A. (1988) Biol. Reprod. 38, 713-722), calcium-transport inhibitor activity detected in reproductive tract fluid from adult male guinea pigs...
- Orr R, Siegler M. Is posthumous semen retrieval ethically permissible?. J Med Ethics. 2002;28:299-302 pubmed..Even with consent, the welfare of the potential child must be considered. ..
- Agca Y, Gilmore J, Byers M, Woods E, Liu J, Critser J. Osmotic characteristics of mouse spermatozoa in the presence of extenders and sugars. Biol Reprod. 2002;67:1493-501 pubmed..However, for B6C3F1 spermatozoa, Gly required a two-step addition while EG only required a single step. For removal from B6C3F1 sperm, Gly required a three-step removal process while EG required a two-step removal. ..
- Fedorka K, Zuk M. Sexual conflict and female immune suppression in the cricket, Allonemobious socius. J Evol Biol. 2005;18:1515-22 pubmed..In other words, female immune function may serve as a battleground over which a sexual conflict is fought. ..
- Click A, Savaliya C, Kienle S, Herrmann M, Pires daSilva A. Natural variation of outcrossing in the hermaphroditic nematode Pristionchus pacificus. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:75 pubmed publisher..elegans, P. pacificus has lower brood sizes and the male X-bearing sperm is able to outcompete the X-nullo sperm. The results indicate that there is no evidence of any selection acting very strongly on P. pacificus males. ..
- Fraire Zamora J, Cardullo R. The physiological acquisition of amoeboid motility in nematode sperm: is the tail the only thing the sperm lost?. Mol Reprod Dev. 2010;77:739-50 pubmed publisher..An integrative approach to the study of nonflagellated spermatozoa will shed light on the identification of unique and conserved processes during fertilization among different taxa. ..
- White M, Steffy B, Wiltshire T, Payseur B. Genetic dissection of a key reproductive barrier between nascent species of house mice. Genetics. 2011;189:289-304 pubmed publisher..domesticus autosomal alleles. Our results reveal a complex genetic architecture for hybrid male sterility and suggest a prominent role for reproductive barriers in advanced generations in maintaining subspecies integrity in house mice. ..
- Agarwal A, Prabakaran S, Allamaneni S. What an andrologist/urologist should know about free radicals and why. Urology. 2006;67:2-8 pubmed
- Zhang H, Denhard L, Zhou H, Liu L, Lan Z. 0610009K11Rik, a testis-specific and germ cell nuclear receptor-interacting protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;366:898-904 pubmed..Our results suggest that Tnrip-1 is a testis-specific and GCNF-interacting protein which may be involved in the modulation of GCNF-mediated gene transcription in spermatogenic cells within the testis. ..
- Desai N, Sabanegh E, Kim T, Agarwal A. Free radical theory of aging: implications in male infertility. Urology. 2010;75:14-9 pubmed publisher..Excessive ROS can also damage mitochondrial deoxyribonucleic acid and sperm nuclear DNA, contributing to paternally transmitted diseases. ROS generation has a central role in the pathophysiology of age-related decrease in male fertility...
- El Hodiri H, Pan Y, Kelly L. In vivo functional analysis of transcription factor: response element interaction using transgenic Xenopus laevis. Methods Mol Biol. 2012;884:41-51 pubmed publisher..We describe a method for this analysis in transgenic Xenopus tadpoles in which expression of the trans-acting factor is knocked down using an shRNA-mediated approach. ..
- Kennedy J, Korn N, Thurston R. Prostaglandin levels in seminal plasma and sperm extracts of the domestic turkey, and the effects of cyclooxygenase inhibitors on sperm mobility. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2003;1:74 pubmed..1 to 10 mM, 38 to 98% and 44 to 85%, respectively. These results indicate that PG are present in turkey seminal plasma and sperm, and COX inhibitors decrease turkey sperm mobility. ..
- Chow G, Muller C, Curnow E, Hayes E. Expression of two-pore domain potassium channels in nonhuman primate sperm. Fertil Steril. 2007;87:397-404 pubmed..The unique, discrete distributions of K(2P) channels in nonhuman primate sperm suggest specific roles for this subfamily of ion channels in primate sperm function. ..
- Li Y, Lalancette C, Miller D, Krawetz S. Characterization of nucleohistone and nucleoprotamine components in the mature human sperm nucleus. Asian J Androl. 2008;10:535-41 pubmed publisher..The co-localization of the human core sperm histones with the telomeric regions of chromosome 16 is consistent with the reorganization of specific non-protamine regions into a less compacted state. ..
- Hafer N, Xu S, Bhat K, Schedl P. The Drosophila CPEB protein Orb2 has a novel expression pattern and is important for asymmetric cell division and nervous system function. Genetics. 2011;189:907-21 pubmed publisher..We also show that orb2 funtions in asymmetric division of stem cells and precursor cells during the development of the embryonic nervous system and mesoderm. ..
- Lee M, Farland L, Missmer S, Ginsburg E. Limitations on the compensation of gamete donors: a public opinion survey. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:1355-1363.e4 pubmed publisher..Although most do not support limits on gamete donor compensation, most agree the appropriate payment for one cycle of oocyte donation is in line with former American Society for Reproductive Medicine guidelines. ..
- Hoang H, Miller M. Chemosensory and hyperoxia circuits in C. elegans males influence sperm navigational capacity. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002047 pubmed publisher..Environmental exposures early in male life may alter sperm function and fertility. ..
- Ramaraj P, Kessler S, Colmenares C, Sen G. Selective restoration of male fertility in mice lacking angiotensin-converting enzymes by sperm-specific expression of the testicular isozyme. J Clin Invest. 1998;102:371-8 pubmed..Our study clearly demonstrated how transgenic and knockout techniques can be combined for ascribing a specific physiological function to the expression of a multifunctional protein in a given tissue. ..
- Sylvester S, Roy A. A 3'-truncated transferrin messenger RNA is expressed in rat testicular germ cells. Biol Reprod. 2002;67:895-9 pubmed..The findings suggest that a foreshortened transcript of the transferrin gene is produced in rat germ cells and that little or no protein is made from that transcript. ..
- Fan J, Akabane H, Graham S, Richardson L, Zhu G. Sperm defects in mice lacking a functional Niemann-Pick C1 protein. Mol Reprod Dev. 2006;73:1284-91 pubmed..Taken together, these results demonstrate that there are multiple defects in sperms from mice lacking a functional NPC1 protein, and these observed sperm defects may result in sterility. ..
- Perl A, Qian Y, Chohan K, Shirley C, Amidon W, Banerjee S, et al. Transaldolase is essential for maintenance of the mitochondrial transmembrane potential and fertility of spermatozoa. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:14813-8 pubmed..Collectively, these data reveal an essential role of TAL in sperm-cell mitochondrial function and, thus, male fertility. ..
- Yoon S, Jellerette T, Salicioni A, Lee H, Yoo M, Coward K, et al. Human sperm devoid of PLC, zeta 1 fail to induce Ca(2+) release and are unable to initiate the first step of embryo development. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:3671-81 pubmed publisher..Together, our results indicate that the inability of human sperm to initiate [Ca(2+)](i) oscillations leads to failure of egg activation and sterility and that abnormal PLCZ1 expression underlies this functional defect. ..
- Kasimanickam V, Kasimanickam R, Rogers H. Immunolocalization of retinoic acid receptor-alpha, -beta, and -gamma, in bovine and canine sperm. Theriogenology. 2013;79:1010-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the presence of RAR?, RAR?, and RAR? receptors supported their role in sperm structure and function. ..
- Kumar D, Kumar P, James P. Methylation-dependent and independent regulatory regions in the Na,K-ATPase alpha4 (Atp1a4) gene may impact its testis-specific expression. Gene. 2016;575:339-52 pubmed publisher..In all, our data suggests that both the promoter and the intragenic CGI could combine to provide multiple modes of regulation for optimizing the Atp1a4 expression level in a cell type-specific manner. ..
- Hecht N. Gene expression during spermatogenesis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1987;513:90-101 pubmed
- Deng X, Moran J, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, Primakoff P, et al. The mouse Spam1 maps to proximal chromosome 6 and is a candidate for the sperm dysfunction in Rb(6.16)24Lub and Rb(6.15)1Ald heterozygotes. Mamm Genome. 1997;8:94-7 pubmed..16)24Lub or Rb(6.15)1Ald translocation. ..
- Mahony M. Evaluation of the effect of a cervical cap device on sperm functional characteristics in vitro. Andrologia. 2001;33:207-13 pubmed
- Anway M, Ravindranath N, Dym M, Griswold M. Identification of a murine testis complementary DNA encoding a homolog to human A-kinase anchoring protein-associated sperm protein. Biol Reprod. 2002;66:1755-61 pubmed..In situ hybridization analysis localized the ASP mRNA to the germ cell compartment of the seminiferous tubules in the testis. ..
- Eckmann C, Kraemer B, Wickens M, Kimble J. GLD-3, a bicaudal-C homolog that inhibits FBF to control germline sex determination in C. elegans. Dev Cell. 2002;3:697-710 pubmed..We propose that GLD-3 binds FBF and thereby inhibits its repression of target mRNAs. ..
- Kusano A, Staber C, Chan H, Ganetzky B. Closing the (Ran)GAP on segregation distortion in Drosophila. Bioessays. 2003;25:108-15 pubmed..This previously mysterious genetic system may now offer unique insights into novel aspects of regulation by Ran. ..
- Gvakharia B, Bebas P, Cymborowski B, Giebultowicz J. Disruption of sperm release from insect testes by cytochalasin and beta-actin mRNA mediated interference. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2003;60:1744-51 pubmed..Combined results of RNAi experiments at physiological, cellular and molecular levels identified unique cells that are critically involved in the mechanism of sperm release. ..
- Payne C, Rawe V, Ramalho Santos J, Simerly C, Schatten G. Preferentially localized dynein and perinuclear dynactin associate with nuclear pore complex proteins to mediate genomic union during mammalian fertilization. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:4727-38 pubmed..These data suggest a model in which dynein accumulates and binds to the female pronucleus on sperm aster microtubules, where it interacts with dynactin, nucleoporins and vimentin. ..
- Huh J, Vernooy S, Yu H, Yan N, Shi Y, Guo M, et al. Multiple apoptotic caspase cascades are required in nonapoptotic roles for Drosophila spermatid individualization. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E15 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that multiple caspases and caspase regulators, likely acting at distinct points in time and space, are required for spermatid individualization, a nonapoptotic process. ..
- Makker K, Agarwal A, Sharma R. Oxidative stress & male infertility. Indian J Med Res. 2009;129:357-67 pubmed..It also highlights the mechanism of production and the pathophysiology of ROS in relation to the male reproductive system and enumerate the benefits of incorporating antioxidants in clinical and experimental settings...
- Samplaski M, Agarwal A, Sharma R, Sabanegh E. New generation of diagnostic tests for infertility: review of specialized semen tests. Int J Urol. 2010;17:839-47 pubmed publisher..This article reviews basic male reproductive physiology, as well as clinically utilized advanced seminal tests, including their methodology and implications for reproductive technology outcomes and fecundity. ..
- Doty A, Buhi W, Benson S, Scoggin K, Pozor M, MacPherson M, et al. Equine CRISP3 modulates interaction between spermatozoa and polymorphonuclear neutrophils. Biol Reprod. 2011;85:157-64 pubmed publisher..0001). It was concluded that CRISP3 in seminal plasma suppresses PMNs/sperm binding, suggesting that CRISP3 regulates sperm elimination from the female reproductive tract...
- Peñagaricano F, Weigel K, Khatib H. Genome-wide association study identifies candidate markers for bull fertility in Holstein dairy cattle. Anim Genet. 2012;43 Suppl 1:65-71 pubmed publisher..The results could contribute to the identification of genes and pathways associated with male fertility in dairy cattle...
- Sardoy M, Anderson D, George A, Wilkerson M, Skinner S, Ferrer M. Standardization of a method to detect bovine sperm-bound antisperm antibodies by flow cytometry. Theriogenology. 2012;78:1570-7 pubmed publisher..Flow cytometry was accurate and reliable for detection of sperm-bound IgG and IgA and discrimination between ASA-positive and ASA-negative bulls. ..
- Manikkam M, Tracey R, Guerrero Bosagna C, Skinner M. Dioxin (TCDD) induces epigenetic transgenerational inheritance of adult onset disease and sperm epimutations. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46249 pubmed publisher..Observations demonstrate dioxin exposure of a gestating female promotes epigenetic transgenerational inheritance of adult onset disease and sperm epimutations. ..
- Manier M, Lüpold S, Belote J, Starmer W, Berben K, Ala Honkola O, et al. Postcopulatory sexual selection generates speciation phenotypes in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1853-62 pubmed publisher..This experimental approach to "speciation phenotypes" illustrates how knowledge of sperm precedence mechanisms can be used to predict the mechanisms and extent of reproductive isolation between populations and species. ..
- Rheubert J, Sever D, Siegel D, Gribbins K. Ultrastructural analysis of spermiogenesis in the Eastern Fence Lizard, Sceloporus undulatus (Squamata: Phrynosomatidae). Micron. 2016;81:16-22 pubmed publisher..Future studies concerning sperm morphology in closely related species will aid in our understanding of variation in sperm development and may prove to be useful in testing phylogenetic and evolutionary hypotheses. ..
- Gu W, Tekur S, Reinbold R, Eppig J, Choi Y, Zheng J, et al. Mammalian male and female germ cells express a germ cell-specific Y-Box protein, MSY2. Biol Reprod. 1998;59:1266-74 pubmed..MSY2 is maternally inherited in the one-cell-stage embryo but is not detected in the late two-cell-stage embryo. This loss of MSY2 is coincident with the bulk degradation of maternal mRNAs in the two-cell embryo. ..
- Crow J. Unmasking a cheating gene. Science. 1999;283:1651-2 pubmed
- Dabrowski K, Lee K, Rinchard J, Ciereszko A, Blom J, Ottobre J. Gossypol isomers bind specifically to blood plasma proteins and spermatozoa of rainbow trout fed diets containing cottonseed meal. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2001;1525:37-42 pubmed..As such, we hypothesize that the major action of gossypol on mammalian sperm, which is uncoupling of oxidative phosphorylation, does not impair the energy supply required for flagellar beating in fish spermatozoa. ..
- Wang G, Ying Z, Jin X, Tu N, Zhang Y, Phillips M, et al. Essential requirement for both hsf1 and hsf2 transcriptional activity in spermatogenesis and male fertility. Genesis. 2004;38:66-80 pubmed..The findings suggest that additive or synergistic transcriptional activity of both hsf1 and hsf2 is required for normal mammalian spermatogenesis and male fertility. ..
- Sanchez G, Nguyen A, Timmerberg B, Tash J, Blanco G. The Na,K-ATPase alpha4 isoform from humans has distinct enzymatic properties and is important for sperm motility. Mol Hum Reprod. 2006;12:565-76 pubmed..Accordingly, we found alpha4 in the sperm tail, predominating in the mid-piece of the flagellum. Therefore, similar to the rat ortholog, human Na,K-ATPase alpha4 isoform has a distinct activity that is essential for sperm function. ..
- Jha R, Agarwal A, Mahfouz R, Paasch U, Grunewald S, Sabanegh E, et al. Determination of Poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) homologues in human ejaculated sperm and its correlation with sperm maturation. Fertil Steril. 2009;91:782-90 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are needed to delineate the role of PARP-9 in sperm physiology. The results from our study indicate an active role for PARPs in sperm cell physiology in preventing apoptosis. ..
- Hendricks K, Martins L, Hansen P. Consequences for the bovine embryo of being derived from a spermatozoon subjected to post-ejaculatory aging and heat shock: development to the blastocyst stage and sex ratio. J Reprod Dev. 2009;55:69-74 pubmed..Results indicate that embryo competence for development to the blastocyst stage is independent of sperm damage as a result of aging for 4 h at normothermic or hyperthermic temperatures. ..
- Lan Z, Xu X, Chung A, Cooney A. Extra-germ cell expression of mouse nuclear receptor subfamily 6, group A, member 1 (NR6A1). Biol Reprod. 2009;80:905-12 pubmed publisher..The extra-germ cell expression of NR6A1 makes it a less attractive contraceptive. ..
- Azuma Y. Analysis of SUMOylation of topoisomerase IIalpha with Xenopus egg extracts. Methods Mol Biol. 2009;582:221-31 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of mitotic SUMOylation in the XEE assay system causes aberrant sister chromatid separation in anaphase and alters Topo IIalpha association with chromosomes. ..
- Jimenez T, Sanchez G, Wertheimer E, Blanco G. Activity of the Na,K-ATPase alpha4 isoform is important for membrane potential, intracellular Ca2+, and pH to maintain motility in rat spermatozoa. Reproduction. 2010;139:835-45 pubmed publisher..The high dependence of sperm motility on membrane excitability, [Ca(2)(+)](i), and acid-base balance suggests that their regulation is the mechanism by which alpha4 maintains motility of the male gametes. ..
- Kasimanickam V, Kasimanickam R, Kastelic J, Stevenson J. Associations of adiponectin and fertility estimates in Holstein bulls. Theriogenology. 2013;79:766-77.e1-3 pubmed publisher..In addition to its role in steroidogenesis and sperm capacitation, adiponectin might be involved in sperm-egg fusion and fertilization. ..
- Morgan C, Noble D, Kimble J. Mitosis-meiosis and sperm-oocyte fate decisions are separable regulatory events. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:3411-6 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the C. elegans mitosis-meiosis and sperm-oocyte decisions are separable regulatory events and suggest that this fundamental conclusion will hold true for germ cells throughout the animal kingdom. ..
- Schrag N, Larson R. Yearling Bull Breeding Soundness Examination: Special Considerations. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2016;32:465-78 pubmed publisher..Special considerations and current research are highlighted and their application to the evaluation of yearling bulls is discussed. ..
- Deng X, Czymmek K, Martin DeLeon P. Biochemical maturation of Spam1 (PH-20) during epididymal transit of mouse sperm involves modifications of N-linked oligosaccharides. Mol Reprod Dev. 1999;52:196-206 pubmed..Based on the difference in size and intensity of the Spaml bands and hyaluronidase activities from caput and caudal sperm, the data suggest that the activation of Spaml during epididymal maturation is regulated by deglycosylation. ..
- Hoang H, Prasain J, Dorand D, Miller M. A heterogeneous mixture of F-series prostaglandins promotes sperm guidance in the Caenorhabditis elegans reproductive tract. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003271 pubmed publisher..This cyclooxygenase-independent pathway for F-series synthesis may be conserved. ..
- Schindelman G, Whittaker A, Thum J, Gharib S, Sternberg P. Initiation of male sperm-transfer behavior in Caenorhabditis elegans requires input from the ventral nerve cord. BMC Biol. 2006;4:26 pubmed..The definition of circuit components is a crucial first step toward understanding how genes specify the neural circuit and hence the behavior. ..
- Reese K, Aravindan R, Griffiths G, Shao M, Wang Y, Galileo D, et al. Acidic hyaluronidase activity is present in mouse sperm and is reduced in the absence of SPAM1: evidence for a role for hyaluronidase 3 in mouse and human sperm. Mol Reprod Dev. 2010;77:759-72 pubmed publisher..HYAL3 is expressed in epididymal tissue/fluid, from where it is acquired by caudal mouse sperm in vitro. Our results reveal concerted activity of both neutral- and acid-active hyaluronidases in sperm. ..
- Lim C, Hamazaki T, Braun E, Wade J, Terada N. Evolutionary genomics implies a specific function of Ant4 in mammalian and anole lizard male germ cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23122 pubmed publisher..Taken together with the fact that Ant4 protein has a uniquely conserved structure when compared to other somatic Ant1, 2 and 3, there may be a specific advantage for mammals and lizards to express Ant4 in their male germ cells...
- Zhang H, Martin DeLeon P. Mouse epididymal Spam1 (pH-20) is released in the luminal fluid with its lipid anchor. J Androl. 2003;24:51-8 pubmed
- Amitin E, Pitnick S. Influence of developmental environment on male- and female-mediated sperm precedence in Drosophila melanogaster. J Evol Biol. 2007;20:381-91 pubmed..Nevertheless, there was striking co-variation in sperm and SR length. The developmental environment of both females and second males, but not first males, significantly contributed to variation in male competitive fertilization success. ..
- Wilkerson D, Murphy L, Sarge K. Interaction of HSF1 and HSF2 with the Hspa1b promoter in mouse epididymal spermatozoa. Biol Reprod. 2008;79:283-8 pubmed publisher..These results support a model in which the binding of HSF1, HSF2, and SP1 to the promoter of Hspa1b would allow the rapid formation of a transcription-competent state during the minor ZGA, thereby allowing Hspa1b expression. ..
- Breton S, Beaupré H, Stewart D, Piontkivska H, Karmakar M, Bogan A, et al. Comparative mitochondrial genomics of freshwater mussels (Bivalvia: Unionoida) with doubly uniparental inheritance of mtDNA: gender-specific open reading frames and putative origins of replication. Genetics. 2009;183:1575-89 pubmed publisher..We propose that unassigned regions are the most promising candidate sequences in which to find regulatory and/or gender-specific sequences that could determine whether a mitochondrial genome will be maternally or paternally transmitted. ..
- Guerrero Bosagna C, Settles M, Lucker B, Skinner M. Epigenetic transgenerational actions of vinclozolin on promoter regions of the sperm epigenome. PLoS ONE. 2010;5: pubmed publisher..This study confirms that an environmental agent has the ability to induce epigenetic transgenerational changes in the sperm epigenome. ..
- Zimmerman S, Manandhar G, Yi Y, Gupta S, Sutovsky M, Odhiambo J, et al. Sperm proteasomes degrade sperm receptor on the egg zona pellucida during mammalian fertilization. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17256 pubmed publisher..Thus, the sperm borne 26S proteasome is a candidate zona lysin in mammals. This new paradigm has implications for contraception and assisted reproductive technologies in humans, as well as animals. ..
- Walkowicz M, Ji Y, Ren X, Horsthemke B, Russell L, Johnson D, et al. Molecular characterization of radiation- and chemically induced mutations associated with neuromuscular tremors, runting, juvenile lethality, and sperm defects in jdf2 mice. Mamm Genome. 1999;10:870-8 pubmed..These data provide new molecular clues regarding the wide range of jdf2 and p phenotypes that are expressed by this collection of recently generated and classical p-region mutations. ..
- Taulman P, Haycraft C, Balkovetz D, Yoder B. Polaris, a protein involved in left-right axis patterning, localizes to basal bodies and cilia. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:589-99 pubmed
- Blanco G. Functional expression of the alpha4 isoform of the Na,K-ATPase in both diploid and haploid germ cells of male rats. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003;986:536-8 pubmed
- Huang Z, Myers K, Khatra B, Vijayaraghavan S. Protein 14-3-3zeta binds to protein phosphatase PP1gamma2 in bovine epididymal spermatozoa. Biol Reprod. 2004;71:177-84 pubmed..Together, these results provide conclusive evidence that protein 14-3-3 is present in mature spermatozoa and that PP1gamma2 is one of its binding partners. ..
- Cordes E, Arthur M, Shea K, Arvidson R, Fisher C. Modeling the mutualistic interactions between tubeworms and microbial consortia. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e77 pubmed..luymesi for hundreds of years. The results of this model expand our concept of the potential benefits derived from complex interspecific relationships, in this case involving members of all three domains of life...
- Odhiambo J, Sutovsky M, DeJarnette J, Marshall C, Sutovsky P. Adaptation of ubiquitin-PNA based sperm quality assay for semen evaluation by a conventional flow cytometer and a dedicated platform for flow cytometric semen analysis. Theriogenology. 2011;76:1168-76 pubmed publisher..63; P < 0.001). These observations provided a rationale for the adaptation of a dual ubiquitin-PNA sperm quality assay for flow cytometric semen evaluation. ..
- Freeman E, Jani P, Millette C. Expression and potential function of Rho family small G proteins in cells of the mammalian seminiferous epithelium. Cell Commun Adhes. 2002;9:189-204 pubmed..Finally, inactivation of Sertoli cell Rho family proteins yields disruption of the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Lin D, Connor W, Wolf D, Neuringer M, Hachey D. Unique lipids of primate spermatozoa: desmosterol and docosahexaenoic acid. J Lipid Res. 1993;34:491-9 pubmed..The other unique lipids, cholesterol sulfate and the n-3 docosahexaenoic acid, may also have a significant role in the function of spermatozoa. ..
- Lanzendorf S, Boyd C, Wright D, Muasher S, Oehninger S, Hodgen G. Use of human gametes obtained from anonymous donors for the production of human embryonic stem cell lines. Fertil Steril. 2001;76:132-7 pubmed..Many ethical issues were considered before the initiation of this study, and it was our goal to ensure that both oocyte and sperm donors understood the nature and purpose of the research before their participating in the study. ..
- Chen H, Griffiths G, Galileo D, Martin DeLeon P. Epididymal SPAM1 is a marker for sperm maturation in the mouse. Biol Reprod. 2006;74:923-30 pubmed..001) than that for sperm capacitated in W/T SPAM1-antibody-inhibited ELF. Because epididymal SPAM1 uptake significantly increases cumulus penetration, we conclude that it is a marker of sperm maturation. ..
- Puri P, Myers K, Kline D, Vijayaraghavan S. Proteomic analysis of bovine sperm YWHA binding partners identify proteins involved in signaling and metabolism. Biol Reprod. 2008;79:1183-91 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that in addition to potential regulation of a number of important sperm functions, YWHA may act as an adaptor molecule for a subset of PPP1CC_v2 substrates. ..
- Klock S, Maier D. Guidelines for the provision of psychological evaluations for infertile patients at the University of Connecticut Health Center. Fertil Steril. 1991;56:680-5 pubmed..These guidelines are preliminary in nature and intended to provide a starting point for discussion among physicians, nurses, and mental health professionals regarding the psychological needs of infertility patients. ..
- Wertheimer E, Salicioni A, Liu W, Trevino C, Chavez J, Hernández González E, et al. Chloride Is essential for capacitation and for the capacitation-associated increase in tyrosine phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:35539-50 pubmed publisher..Consistent with these results, Western blots using anti-NKCC1 antibodies showed the presence of this cotransporter in mature sperm. ..
- Morgan C, Lee M, Kimble J. Chemical reprogramming of Caenorhabditis elegans germ cell fate. Nat Chem Biol. 2010;6:102-4 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that chemical approaches to therapeutic cell reprogramming may be feasible and provide a powerful platform for analyzing molecular mechanisms of in vivo cell reprogramming. ..
- Gottschling D. DNA repair: corrections in the golden years. Curr Biol. 2006;16:R956-8 pubmed..A study has found that the major pathway of DNA repair is altered with age in the testes of male Drosophila, thus providing a powerful system to dissect the basis for age-related genomic changes. ..
- Murray S, Smith T. Sperm interaction with fallopian tube apical membrane enhances sperm motility and delays capacitation. Fertil Steril. 1997;68:351-7 pubmed..Contact with the apical plasma membrane of tubal epithelial cells enhances sperm motility and delays sperm capacitation in vitro. ..
- McGinnis L, Luo J, Kinsey W. Protein tyrosine kinase signaling in the mouse oocyte cortex during sperm-egg interactions and anaphase resumption. Mol Reprod Dev. 2013;80:260-72 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate an alternate signaling pathway triggered in mammalian oocytes by sperm contact, binding, or fusion with the oocyte. ..
- Manier M, Lüpold S, Pitnick S, Starmer W. An analytical framework for estimating fertilization bias and the fertilization set from multiple sperm-storage organs. Am Nat. 2013;182:552-61 pubmed publisher..We apply this model to three closely related species to reveal rapid divergence in the fertilization set and the potential for female sperm choice. ..