Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on spermatozoa in Germany
Publications101 found, 100 shown here
- Burfeind P, Hoyer Fender S. Sequence and developmental expression of a mRNA encoding a putative protein of rat sperm outer dense fibers. Dev Biol. 1991;148:195-204 pubmed..melanogaster mst(3)gl-9. It is suggested that the isolated rat cDNA encodes a polypeptide which is a protein component of the outer dense fibers of spermatozoa. ..
- Klein T, Cooper T, Yeung C. The role of potassium chloride cotransporters in murine and human sperm volume regulation. Biol Reprod. 2006;75:853-8 pubmed..Therefore, besides organic osmolyte efflux and KCl release through separate K(+) and Cl(-) ion channels, SLC12A7 also is involved in murine but not human sperm RVD mechanisms. ..
- Triphan J, Aumüller G, Brandenburger T, Wilhelm B. Localization and regulation of plasma membrane Ca(2+)-ATPase in bovine spermatozoa. Eur J Cell Biol. 2007;86:265-73 pubmed..Co-immunoprecipitation studies, PDC-109 affinity chromatography as well as overlay blots failed to show a strong association of both PMCA and PDC-109, pointing to an indirect, perhaps phospholipid-mediated effect. ..
- Yeung C, Callies C, Rojek A, Nielsen S, Cooper T. Aquaporin isoforms involved in physiological volume regulation of murine spermatozoa. Biol Reprod. 2009;80:350-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the Hg(2+)-sensitive AQP8, which was localized in elongated spermatids and spermatozoa, is a likely candidate for a water channel responsible for physiological sperm volume regulation crucial to in vivo fertilization. ..
- Herr C, zur Nieden A, Koch H, Schuppe H, Fieber C, Angerer J, et al. Urinary di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP)--metabolites and male human markers of reproductive function. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2009;212:648-53 pubmed publisher..According to our evaluation human reproductive parameters from semen analyses do not show significant associations with concentrations of DEHP metabolites determined in spot urine sampled at the day of andrological examination. ..
- Shihan M, Kirch U, Scheiner Bobis G. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate mediates activation of transcription factors CREB and ATF-1 via a G?11-coupled receptor in the spermatogenic cell line GC-2. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:3064-3075 pubmed publisher..Since DHEAS is produced in male and female reproductive organs, these findings could help to define new roles for DHEAS in the physiology of reproduction. ..
- Hoyer Fender S. Identity of two rat testis cDNAs. Dev Biol. 1993;157:553 pubmed
- Yeung C, Anapolski M, Cooper T. Measurement of volume changes in mouse spermatozoa using an electronic sizing analyzer and a flow cytometer: validation and application to an infertile mouse model. J Androl. 2002;23:522-8 pubmed..Laser scatter analysis of viable murine sperm by flow cytometry offers a convenient and sensitive method for the study of sperm volume regulation. ..
- Michalik P, Dallai R, Giusti F, Alberti G. The ultrastructure of the peculiar synspermia of some Dysderidae (Araneae, Arachnida). Tissue Cell. 2004;36:447-60 pubmed..The secreted sheath surrounding the spermatozoa is finally synthesized in the parts of the vasa deferentia, which are close to the genital opening where numerous vacuoles and microvilli are seen in the epithelial cells...
- Kotrba M, HeÃŸ M, Dallai R. Giant spermatozoa of Diasemopsis (Diopsidae, Diptera) - Structural, ultrastructural and functional aspects. Arthropod Struct Dev. 2016;45:42-56 pubmed publisher..The potential adaptive significance of these features and their coevolution with the morphology of the female's multi-chambered ventral receptacle are discussed, as are sperm competition and cryptic female choice. ..
- Pleuger C, Fietz D, Hartmann K, Schuppe H, Weidner W, Kliesch S, et al. Expression of ciliated bronchial epithelium 1 during human spermatogenesis. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:47-54 pubmed publisher..The absence of CBE1 in spermatozoa suggests that CBE1 is important for the spermatid development but not for the maintenance of mature spermatozoa as a component of the flagellum. ..
- Lin C, Ponsuksili S, Tholen E, Jennen D, Schellander K, Wimmers K. Candidate gene markers for sperm quality and fertility of boar. Anim Reprod Sci. 2006;92:349-63 pubmed..0318) and ASR (P = 0.0067), INHBB was significant (P = 0.0360) for SCON trait. FSHB, FST, INHA, PRL, PRLR and LHB had no significant effects on any trait in this experiment. ..
- Samonte Padilla I, Eizaguirre C, Scharsack J, Lenz T, Milinski M. Induction of diploid gynogenesis in an evolutionary model organism, the three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:55 pubmed publisher..Ploidy verification by flow cytometry showed that gynogenetic embryos/larvae exhibiting abnormalities were haploids and those that developed normally were diploids, i.e., double haploids that can be raised until adult size. ..
- Roessner C, Paasch U, Kratzsch J, Glander H, Grunewald S. Sperm apoptosis signalling in diabetic men. Reprod Biomed Online. 2012;25:292-9 pubmed publisher..Together with the increased presence of intracellular reactive oxygen species and higher levels of sperm DNA fragmentation, several subcellular factors are now available to explain subfertility in diabetic males. ..
- Siegeler K, Wistuba J, Damm O, von Engelhardt N, Sachser N, Kaiser S. Early social instability affects plasma testosterone during adolescence but does not alter reproductive capacity or measures of stress later in life. Physiol Behav. 2013;120:143-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, early social instability affects plasma testosterone development during adolescence in a significant way but does not alter reproductive capacity or measures of stress later in life. ..
- Pohle W, Gauger D, Dornberger U, Birch Hirschfeld E, Selle C, Rupprecht A, et al. Hydration of biological molecules: lipids versus nucleic acids. Biopolymers. 2002;67:499-503 pubmed..These are rather high in DNA and often low in phospholipids, suggesting different mechanisms of action of the hydration water that appears to induce structural changes on global- and local-mode levels, respectively...
- Adham I, Eck T, Mierau K, Muller N, Sallam M, Paprotta I, et al. Reduction of spermatogenesis but not fertility in Creb3l4-deficient mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:7657-64 pubmed..These results suggest that Creb3l4 plays a role in male germ cell development, but its loss is insufficient to completely compromise the production of spermatozoa. ..
- Brüssow K, Torner H, Ratky J, Manabe N, Tuchscherer A. Experimental evidence for the influence of cumulus-oocyte-complexes on sperm release from the porcine oviductal sperm reservoir. J Reprod Dev. 2006;52:249-57 pubmed..6 +/- 0.2 to 3.1 +/- 0.2). In summary, this study was demonstrated that cumulus-oocyte-complexes may be involved in triggering sperm release from the pig oviductal SR and that HA might be related to sperm release. ..
- Hägele S, Behnam B, Borter E, Wolfe J, Paasch U, Lukashev D, et al. TSGA10 prevents nuclear localization of the hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF)-1alpha. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:3731-8 pubmed..HIF-1alpha nuclear localization and HIF-1 transcriptional activity were significantly affected by overexpressed TSGA10. ..
- Cavalcanti M, Rizgalla M, Geyer J, Failing K, Litzke L, Bergmann M. Expression of histone 1 (H1) and testis-specific histone 1 (H1t) genes during stallion spermatogenesis. Anim Reprod Sci. 2009;111:220-34 pubmed publisher..The pattern of protamine gene expression, however, has still to be elucidated. ..
- Stukenborg J, Schlatt S, Simoni M, Yeung C, Elhija M, Luetjens C, et al. New horizons for in vitro spermatogenesis? An update on novel three-dimensional culture systems as tools for meiotic and post-meiotic differentiation of testicular germ cells. Mol Hum Reprod. 2009;15:521-9 pubmed publisher..Further research efforts are required to reveal the applicability of this culture technique for human germ cells and the functionality of the spermatozoa for generating offspring. ..
- Blöcher S, Fink L, Bohle R, Bergmann M, Steger K. CREM activator and repressor isoform expression in human male germ cells. Int J Androl. 2005;28:215-23 pubmed..Our data suggest a fine-tuning between CREM activator and repressor isoforms in normal germ cells that might be disturbed during impaired spermatogenesis. ..
- Saragusty J, Walzer C, Petit T, Stalder G, Horowitz I, Hermes R. Cooling and freezing of epididymal sperm in the common hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibius). Theriogenology. 2010;74:1256-63 pubmed publisher..Information obtained in this study allows initiation of cryobanking of sperm from the common hippopotamus which is of particular importance for genetically valuable individuals. ..
- Franz A, Orth M, Pirson P, Sonneville R, Blow J, Gartner A, et al. CDC-48/p97 coordinates CDT-1 degradation with GINS chromatin dissociation to ensure faithful DNA replication. Mol Cell. 2011;44:85-96 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our data confirmed a similar regulation in Xenopus egg extracts, emphasizing a conserved coordination of licensing and elongation events during eukaryotic DNA replication by CDC-48/p97. ..
- Bohring C, Schroeder Printzen I, Weidner W, Krause W. Serum levels of inhibin B and follicle-stimulating hormone may predict successful sperm retrieval in men with azoospermia who are undergoing testicular sperm extraction. Fertil Steril. 2002;78:1195-8 pubmed..However, the prediction is not absolutely reliable: TESE can be also successful when both hormone levels are outside the threshold levels. ..
- Yeung C, Callies C, Tüttelmann F, Kliesch S, Cooper T. Aquaporins in the human testis and spermatozoa - identification, involvement in sperm volume regulation and clinical relevance. Int J Androl. 2010;33:629-41 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, AQP7 and AQP8 were identified in human spermatozoa and could play a role in glycerol metabolism and water transport respectively. ..
- Abu Halima M, Hammadeh M, Schmitt J, Leidinger P, Keller A, Meese E, et al. Altered microRNA expression profiles of human spermatozoa in patients with different spermatogenic impairments. Fertil Steril. 2013;99:1249-1255.e16 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence for analysis of miRNA profiles as a future diagnosing tool for male infertility. ..
- Seibert H, Mörchel S, Gulden M. Factors influencing nominal effective concentrations of chemical compounds in vitro: medium protein concentration. Toxicol In Vitro. 2002;16:289-97 pubmed..The results clearly demonstrate that the differing impact of protein binding on the bioavailability of chemicals considerably influences their nominal and relative potencies in the presence of albumin. ..
- Krisp A, Horster S, Skrzypek J, Krause W. Treatment with levofloxacin does not resolve asymptomatic leucocytospermia--a randomized controlled study. Andrologia. 2003;35:244-7 pubmed..We conclude from our study that antibiotic therapy does not provide benefit for treatment of asymptomatic leucocytospermia. ..
- Schrader M, Muller M, Straub B, Miller K. Testicular sperm extraction in azoospermic patients with gonadal germ cell tumors prior to chemotherapy--a new therapy option. Asian J Androl. 2002;4:9-15 pubmed..New guidelines should be established in this connection. ..
- Paasch U, Sharma R, Gupta A, Grunewald S, Mascha E, Thomas A, et al. Cryopreservation and thawing is associated with varying extent of activation of apoptotic machinery in subsets of ejaculated human spermatozoa. Biol Reprod. 2004;71:1828-37 pubmed..These results demonstrate that selection of annexin V-negative mature spermatozoa might be of clinical relevance for fertility preservation, as this sperm fraction shows no activated apoptosis during the cryopreservation process. ..
- Sanz L, Calvete J, Jonáková V, Töpfer Petersen E. Boar spermadhesins AQN-1 and AWN are sperm-associated acrosin inhibitor acceptor proteins. FEBS Lett. 1992;300:63-6 pubmed..Thus, members of the spermadhesin family, although not possessing detectable enzymatic activity, show features of serine proteinases, and may be involved in both sperm capacitation and sperm-egg recognition and binding events. ..
- Weyand I, Godde M, Frings S, Weiner J, Muller F, Altenhofen W, et al. Cloning and functional expression of a cyclic-nucleotide-gated channel from mammalian sperm. Nature. 1994;368:859-63 pubmed..These channels might be involved in chemotaxis of sperm by controlling Ca2+ entry through a cyclic-nucleotide signalling pathway. ..
- Aumuller G, Renneberg H, Schiemann P, Wilhelm B, Seitz J, Konrad L, et al. The role of apocrine released proteins in the post-testicular regulation of human sperm function. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1997;424:193-219 pubmed..Incubation of spermatozoa with seminosomes and the respective purified antiserum had no effect on sperm motility. This is in contradistinction to former reports on motility increase induced by the so-called prostasomes. ..
- Torner H, Blottner S, Kuhla S, Langhammer M, Alm H, Tuchscherer A. Influence of chlorocholinechloride-treated wheat on selected in vitro fertility parameters in male mice. Reprod Toxicol. 1999;13:399-404 pubmed..The results suggest that CCC could interfere with epididymal protein secretion and the process of sperm maturation during passage through the epididymis...
- Cooper T, Yeung C. Approaches to post-testicular contraception. Asian J Androl. 1999;1:29-36 pubmed..Future contraceptive developments may arise from production of targeted inhibitors, research on the displacement of sperm proteins in the epididymis and interference with sperm plasma membrane ion channels. ..
- Bösl M, Stein V, Hubner C, Zdebik A, Jordt S, Mukhopadhyay A, et al. Male germ cells and photoreceptors, both dependent on close cell-cell interactions, degenerate upon ClC-2 Cl(-) channel disruption. EMBO J. 2001;20:1289-99 pubmed..Thus, ClC-2 disruption entails the death of two cell types which depend on supporting cells that form the blood-testes and blood-retina barriers. We propose that ClC-2 is crucial for controlling the ionic environment of these cells. ..
- Pfeifer H, Conrad M, Roethlein D, Kyriakopoulos A, Brielmeier M, Bornkamm G, et al. Identification of a specific sperm nuclei selenoenzyme necessary for protamine thiol cross-linking during sperm maturation. FASEB J. 2001;15:1236-8 pubmed
- Riedel I, Kruse K, Howard J. A self-organized vortex array of hydrodynamically entrained sperm cells. Science. 2005;309:300-3 pubmed..Using a model, we estimated the hydrodynamic interaction force between spermatozoa to be approximately 0.03 piconewtons. Thus, large-scale coordination of cells can be regulated hydrodynamically, and chemical signals are not required...
- Yeung C, Barfield J, Cooper T. Chloride channels in physiological volume regulation of human spermatozoa. Biol Reprod. 2005;73:1057-63 pubmed..Transcripts of Clcn3 were found in all samples and that of Clns1a in some but not all samples. Clcn3 was therefore considered the most likely candidate of Cl- channel involved in volume regulation of human sperm. ..
- Cooper T, Yeung C. Computer-aided evaluation of assessment of "grade a" spermatozoa by experienced technicians. Fertil Steril. 2006;85:220-4 pubmed..Consideration should be given to replacing the subdivision of progressing spermatozoa into two categories with one of progressive spermatozoa, or the use of CASA to distinguish "grade a" sperm reliably should be insisted upon. ..
- Gebert C, Wrenzycki C, Herrmann D, Gröger D, Reinhardt R, Hajkova P, et al. The bovine IGF2 gene is differentially methylated in oocyte and sperm DNA. Genomics. 2006;88:222-9 pubmed..Our study is the first report of a differentially methylated region in a bovine imprinted gene discovered by the analysis of female and male gametes. ..
- Herlyn H, Zischler H. Sequence evolution of the sperm ligand zonadhesin correlates negatively with body weight dimorphism in primates. Evolution. 2007;61:289-98 pubmed..Thus, variation in sperm competition may be driving the observed negative correlation of sequence evolution and sexual dimorphism in body weight...
- Michelmann H, Rath D, Töpfer Petersen E, Schwartz P. Structural and functional events on the porcine zona pellucida during maturation, fertilization and embryonic development: a scanning electron microscopy analysis. Reprod Domest Anim. 2007;42:594-602 pubmed..Whether oocytes were matured in vivo or in vitro was not a relevant factor. Unsorted spermatozoa bound in higher numbers than sorted ones. The number was directly dependent on the number of spermatozoa used for insemination...
- Yeung C, Cooper T. Potassium channels involved in human sperm volume regulation--quantitative studies at the protein and mRNA levels. Mol Reprod Dev. 2008;75:659-68 pubmed..Thus, KCNE1 is probably the major K(+)-channel involved in regulatory volume decrease in human spermatozoa, and channel activity is regulated beyond the extent of protein expression. ..
- Lessig J, Reibetanz U, Arnhold J, Glander H. Destabilization of acrosome and elastase influence mediate the release of secretory phospholipase A2 from human spermatozoa. Asian J Androl. 2008;10:829-36 pubmed publisher..To determine the cellular distribution of secretory phospholipase A(2) (sPLA(2)) in dependence on the acrosomal state and under the action of elastase released under inflammatory processes from leukocytes...
- Blottner S, Pitra C, Berger U. Y-chromosome-specific fluorescence (f-body) of poorly decondensed bovine spermatozoa. Andrologia. 1992;24:255-9 pubmed..The applicability of the f-body test to quantification of Y spermatozoa in experimental separation of androspermatozoa and gynospermatozoa is discussed and is demonstrated by an example. ..
- Calvete J, Solis D, Sanz L, Díaz Mauriño T, Schafer W, Mann K, et al. Characterization of two glycosylated boar spermadhesins. Eur J Biochem. 1993;218:719-25 pubmed..This indicates that modification of a spermadhesin polypeptide framework may serve to modulate its ligand-binding capabilities. ..
- Adham I, Nayernia K, Engel W. Spermatozoa lacking acrosin protein show delayed fertilization. Mol Reprod Dev. 1997;46:370-6 pubmed..These results suggest that Acr- sperm have a selective disadvantage when they are in competition with Acr+ sperm. ..
- Kirchhoff C, Pera I, Derr P, Yeung C, Cooper T. The molecular biology of the sperm surface. Post-testicular membrane remodelling. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1997;424:221-32 pubmed..Its synthesis is carefully regulated by the cells of the epididymal epithelium, with temperature and androgens acting synergistically on CD52 mRNA levels. ..
- Kirchhoff C. Molecular characterization of epididymal proteins. Rev Reprod. 1998;3:86-95 pubmed..However, it remains to be established (for example, by using the proteins and their antibodies in functional tests) whether, besides being essential markers of sperm maturation, they are also functionally important. ..
- Shamsadin R, Adham I, Nayernia K, Heinlein U, Oberwinkler H, Engel W. Male mice deficient for germ-cell cyritestin are infertile. Biol Reprod. 1999;61:1445-51 pubmed..These results demonstrate that cyritestin is crucial in the fertilization process at the level of the sperm-zona pellucida interaction. ..
- Santel A, Kaufmann J, Hyland R, Renkawitz Pohl R. The initiator element of the Drosophila beta2 tubulin gene core promoter contributes to gene expression in vivo but is not required for male germ-cell specific expression. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000;28:1439-46 pubmed..In addition, a downstream element seems to affect promoter activity in combination with the Inr. In summary, our data show for the first time the functionality of the Inr element in an in vivo background situation in Drosophila. ..
- Davidoff M, Middendorff R, Koeva Y, Pusch W, Jezek D, Muller D. Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) and its receptors GFRalpha-1 and GFRalpha-2 in the human testis. Ital J Anat Embryol. 2001;106:173-80 pubmed..These findings suggest a critical role for GDNF during the differentiation of testicular structures and provide evidence for an additional important function in the adult human and rodent testis. ..
- Schurmann A, Axer H, Scheepers A, Doege H, Joost H. The glucose transport facilitator GLUT8 is predominantly associated with the acrosomal region of mature spermatozoa. Cell Tissue Res. 2002;307:237-42 pubmed..This specific expression and localization of GLUT8 suggests that the transport facilitator plays a major role in the fuel supply of mature spermatozoa, and that it is a potential target for inhibition of sperm cell function. ..
- Mannan A, Nica G, Nayernia K, Mueller C, Engel W. Calgizarrin like gene (Cal) deficient mice undergo normal spermatogenesis. Mol Reprod Dev. 2003;66:431-8 pubmed..Collectively our results demonstrate that Cal is a nonessential protein and it does not play an important role in mouse spermatogenesis or in process of fertilization. ..
- Nayernia K, Meinhardt A, Drabent B, Adham I, Muller C, Steckel M, et al. Synergistic effects of germ cell expressed genes on male fertility in mice. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2003;103:314-20 pubmed..These findings indicate strongly that male germ cell expressed genes have synergistic effects on male fertility. ..
- von Schönfeldt V, Wistuba J, Schlatt S. Notch-1, c-kit and GFRalpha-1 are developmentally regulated markers for premeiotic germ cells. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2004;105:235-9 pubmed..First attempts and various future perspectives to use spermatogonial stem cells as pathway for the introduction of transgenes are discussed. ..
- Hildebrand E, Kaupp U. Sperm chemotaxis: a primer. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1061:221-5 pubmed..In this paper the cellular pathway and the motor response during chemotaxis of sperm from sea urchin and starfish are briefly outlined. ..
- Ackermann F, Zitranski N, Heydecke D, Wilhelm B, Gudermann T, Boekhoff I. The Multi-PDZ domain protein MUPP1 as a lipid raft-associated scaffolding protein controlling the acrosome reaction in mammalian spermatozoa. J Cell Physiol. 2008;214:757-68 pubmed
- Sun X, Wiesner B, Lorenz D, Papsdorf G, Pankow K, Wang P, et al. Interaction of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) with membrane-bound carboxypeptidase M (CPM) - a new function of ACE. Biol Chem. 2008;389:1477-85 pubmed publisher..These results are discussed with respect to the recently proposed GPI-ase activity and function of sperm-bound ACE. ..
- Brandenburger T, Strehler E, Filoteo A, Caride A, Aumüller G, Post H, et al. Switch of PMCA4 splice variants in bovine epididymis results in altered isoform expression during functional sperm maturation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:7938-46 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that PMCA4a is transferred to bovine sperm membranes in cauda epididymidis. This isoform switch may facilitate a higher calcium turnover in sperm necessary to traverse the female genital tract. ..
- Kirchhoff C, Osterhoff C, Young L. Molecular cloning and characterization of HE1, a major secretory protein of the human epididymis. Biol Reprod. 1996;54:847-56 pubmed..An antiserum raised against chimpanzee EPI-1 recognized human seminal plasma antigens of the same apparent molecular size. ..
- Jacobs S, Schurmann A, Becker W, Bockers T, Copeland N, Jenkins N, et al. The mouse ADP-ribosylation factor-like 4 gene: two separate promoters direct specific transcription in tissues and testicular germ cell. Biochem J. 1998;335 ( Pt 2):259-65 pubmed..Hybridization of rat testis in situ indicated that Arl4 is expressed in germ cells of puberal and adult testis, but not in prepuberal testis, suggesting that Arl4 is involved in sperm production. ..
- Cooper T, Yeung C. Recent biochemical approaches to post-testicular, epididymal contraception. Hum Reprod Update. 1999;5:141-52 pubmed
- Yeung C, Wagenfeld A, Nieschlag E, Cooper T. The cause of infertility of male c-ros tyrosine kinase receptor knockout mice. Biol Reprod. 2000;63:612-8 pubmed..The infertility of c-ros knockout male mice can be explained by the sperm's inability to enter the oviduct, as a result of their bent tails forming the entangled sperm mass and their compromised flagellar vigor within the uterus. ..
- Yeung C, Schroter S, Kirchhoff C, Cooper T. Maturational changes of the CD52-like epididymal glycoprotein on cynomolgus monkey sperm and their apparent reversal in capacitation conditions. Mol Reprod Dev. 2000;57:280-9 pubmed..In conclusion, the monkey epididymal secreted CD52 on sperm underwent changes in antigenic characteristics during sperm maturation which were reversed under capacitation conditions. ..
- Andersen O, Yeung C, Vorum H, Wellner M, Andreassen T, Erdmann B, et al. Essential role of the apolipoprotein E receptor-2 in sperm development. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:23989-95 pubmed
- Barfield J, Yeung C, Cooper T. The effects of putative K+ channel blockers on volume regulation of murine spermatozoa. Biol Reprod. 2005;72:1275-81 pubmed..Volume regulation of spermatozoa may involve novel voltage-gated and pH-sensitive potassium channels, which could be valuable targets for the development of a posttesticular male contraceptive. ..
- Rashid S, Breckle R, Hupe M, Geisler S, Doerwald N, Neesen J. The murine Dnali1 gene encodes a flagellar protein that interacts with the cytoplasmic dynein heavy chain 1. Mol Reprod Dev. 2006;73:784-94 pubmed..The interaction between the axonemal and the cytoplasmic dynein fragments was proven by co-immuno and co-localization experiments. ..
- Herlyn H, Zischler H. Tandem repetitive D domains of the sperm ligand zonadhesin evolve faster in the paralogue than in the orthologue comparison. J Mol Evol. 2006;63:602-11 pubmed..We finally discuss whether the functional determination influences the evolutionary regime acting on sperm ligands and egg receptors, respectively. ..
- Yue C, Schröder M, Gisder S, Genersch E. Vertical-transmission routes for deformed wing virus of honeybees (Apis mellifera). J Gen Virol. 2007;88:2329-36 pubmed..Viral sequences in fertilized eggs can originate from the queen, as well as from drones via DWV-positive semen...
- Gawlik V, Schmidt S, Scheepers A, Wennemuth G, Augustin R, Aumüller G, et al. Targeted disruption of Slc2a8 (GLUT8) reduces motility and mitochondrial potential of spermatozoa. Mol Membr Biol. 2008;25:224-35 pubmed publisher..In contrast, number and survival rate of spermatozoa were not altered. These data indicate that GLUT8 plays an important role in the energy metabolism of sperm cells. ..
- Cooper T, Hellenkemper B. Method-related estimates of sperm vitality. J Androl. 2009;30:214-8 pubmed publisher..Only with the latter method did the sum of motile (presumed live) and stained (presumed dead) preparations never exceed 100%, making this the method of choice for sperm viability estimates. ..
- Shirneshan K, Binder S, Böhm D, Wolf S, Sancken U, Meinhardt A, et al. Directed overexpression of insulin in Leydig cells causes a progressive loss of germ cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2008;295:79-86 pubmed publisher..Germ cells in transgenic males were able to initiate and complete spermatogenesis. However, there was a progressive and age-dependent degeneration of the germ cells that lead to male infertility with increasing age. ..
- Tüttelmann F, Krenkova P, Romer S, Nestorovic A, Ljujic M, Stambergova A, et al. A common haplotype of protamine 1 and 2 genes is associated with higher sperm counts. Int J Androl. 2010;33:e240-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, for the first time we describe an association of a common haplotype formed by PRM1 and PRM2 with sperm output in a large group of men. ..
- Beyer U, Moll Rocek J, Moll U, Dobbelstein M. Endogenous retrovirus drives hitherto unknown proapoptotic p63 isoforms in the male germ line of humans and great apes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:3624-9 pubmed publisher..By providing increased germ-line stability, this event may have contributed to the evolution of hominids and enabled their long reproductive periods...
- Gamper I, FLECK D, Barlin M, Spehr M, El Sayad S, Kleine H, et al. GAR22Î² regulates cell migration, sperm motility, and axoneme structure. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:277-94 pubmed publisher..Collectively our findings identify GAR22Î² as a novel regulator of cell adhesion and migration and provide a foundation for understanding the molecular basis of diverse cytoskeleton-dependent processes. ..
- Hofferbert S, Burfeind P, Hoyer Fender S, Lange R, Haidl G, Engel W. A homozygous deletion of 27 basepairs in the coding region of the human outer dense fiber protein gene does not result in a pathologic phenotype. Hum Mol Genet. 1993;2:2167-70 pubmed
- Osterhoff C, Kirchhoff C, Krull N, Ivell R. Molecular cloning and characterization of a novel human sperm antigen (HE2) specifically expressed in the proximal epididymis. Biol Reprod. 1994;50:516-25 pubmed
- Burmester S, Hoyer Fender S. Transcription and translation of the outer dense fiber gene (Odf1) during spermiogenesis in the rat. A study by in situ analyses and polysome fractionation. Mol Reprod Dev. 1996;45:10-20 pubmed..While the larger transcript population is heterogeneous in size due to variable polyA-shortening, the smaller transcript population is not deadenylated compared to those present in nonpolysomal fractions. ..
- Hammadeh M, Zeginiadov T, Rosenbaum P, Georg T, Schmidt W, Strehler E. Predictive value of sperm chromatin condensation (aniline blue staining) in the assessment of male fertility. Arch Androl. 2001;46:99-104 pubmed..Consequently, the inclusion of chromatin condensation to routine laboratory investigations of semen prior to assisted reproduction is strongly recommended...
- Adham I, Nayernia K, Burkhardt Göttges E, Topaloglu O -, Dixkens C, Holstein A, et al. Teratozoospermia in mice lacking the transition protein 2 (Tnp2). Mol Hum Reprod. 2001;7:513-20 pubmed..The increased level of the Tnp1 transcript in testes of the Tnp2-deficient mice raises the possibility that a deficiency created through the disruption of the Tnp2 gene can be compensated for by recruitment of the Tnp1. ..
- Weitzel J, Shiryaeva N, Middendorff R, Balvers M, Radtke C, Ivell R, et al. Testis-specific expression of rat mitochondrial glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase in haploid male germ cells. Biol Reprod. 2003;68:699-707 pubmed..Our results indicate that rat mGPDH is expressed by a testis-specific promoter from haploid male germ cells in a stage-specific manner. ..
- Berendonck B, Greven H. Genital structures in the entelegyne widow spider Latrodectus revivensis (Arachnida; Araneae; Theridiidae) indicate a low ability for cryptic female choice by sperm manipulation. J Morphol. 2005;263:118-32 pubmed..These findings suggest that female L. revivensis are not able to exert cryptic female choice by selectively choosing spermatozoa of certain males. ..
- Schmidt S, Joost H, Schurmann A. GLUT8, the enigmatic intracellular hexose transporter. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009;296:E614-8 pubmed publisher..The links between molecular function, cellular localization and phenotype of the knockout mouse is unclear and remains to be determined. ..
- Michalik P, Knoflach B, Thaler K, Alberti G. Live for the moment--Adaptations in the male genital system of a sexually cannibalistic spider (Theridiidae, Araneae). Tissue Cell. 2010;42:32-6 pubmed publisher..As shown by histological observations males are able to fill one of the paired female sperm storage organs during copulation thereby presumably impeding subsequent charging by rival males. ..
- Rashid S, Grzmil P, Drenckhahn J, Meinhardt A, Adham I, Engel W, et al. Disruption of the murine dynein light chain gene Tcte3-3 results in asthenozoospermia. Reproduction. 2010;139:99-111 pubmed publisher..Moreover, multiple malformations in developing haploid germ cells are present. Our results support a role of Tcte3-3 in generation of sperm motility as well as in male germ cell differentiation. ..
- Klaver R, Tüttelmann F, Bleiziffer A, Haaf T, Kliesch S, Gromoll J. DNA methylation in spermatozoa as a prospective marker in andrology. Andrology. 2013;1:731-40 pubmed publisher..Our data show that MEST DNA methylation fulfils the prerequisites to be used as routine parameter and support its use during andrological workup if a prognostic value can be shown in future. ..