Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on spermatogenesis in United States
Locale: United States
Publications126 found, 100 shown here
- Oatley J, Brinster R. Regulation of spermatogonial stem cell self-renewal in mammals. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2008;24:263-86 pubmed publisher..Together, these molecules are part of a robust gene network controlling SSC fate decisions that may parallel the regulatory networks in other adult stem cell populations. ..
- Rodova M, Nguyen A, Blanco G. The transcription factor CREMtau and cAMP regulate promoter activity of the Na,K-ATPase alpha4 isoform. Mol Reprod Dev. 2006;73:1435-47 pubmed..These results constitute the first demonstration of the transcriptional control of ATP1A4 gene expression by cAMP and by CREMtau, a transcription factor essential for male germ cell gene expression. ..
- Lei Z, Mishra S, Ponnuru P, Li X, Yang Z, Rao C. Testicular phenotype in luteinizing hormone receptor knockout animals and the effect of testosterone replacement therapy. Biol Reprod. 2004;71:1605-13 pubmed
- Caires K, Schmidt J, Oliver A, de Avila J, McLean D. Endocrine regulation of the establishment of spermatogenesis in pigs. Reprod Domest Anim. 2008;43 Suppl 2:280-7 pubmed publisher..05). Collectively, these data demonstrate intrinsic differences in the biological activity of germ and somatic cell populations during neonatal boar testis development associated with the establishment of spermatogenesis. ..
- Huang Y, Mao X, Boyce T, Zhu G. Dispensable role of PTEN in mouse spermatogenesis. Cell Biol Int. 2011;35:905-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings demonstrate that PTEN is dispensable in mouse spermatogenesis. ..
- Ji Y, Walkowicz M, Buiting K, Johnson D, Tarvin R, Rinchik E, et al. The ancestral gene for transcribed, low-copy repeats in the Prader-Willi/Angelman region encodes a large protein implicated in protein trafficking, which is deficient in mice with neuromuscular and spermiogenic abnormalities. Hum Mol Genet. 1999;8:533-42 pubmed..Combined, these findings suggest that HERC2 is an important gene encoding a GEF involved in protein trafficking and degradation pathways in the cell. ..
- Guerrero Bosagna C, Savenkova M, Haque M, Nilsson E, Skinner M. Environmentally induced epigenetic transgenerational inheritance of altered Sertoli cell transcriptome and epigenome: molecular etiology of male infertility. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59922 pubmed publisher..The environmentally induced epigenetic transgenerational inheritance of testis disease appears to be a component of the molecular etiology of male infertility. ..
- Horvath G, Kistler W, Kistler M. RFX2 is a potential transcriptional regulatory factor for histone H1t and other genes expressed during the meiotic phase of spermatogenesis. Biol Reprod. 2004;71:1551-9 pubmed..These results call attention to RFX2 as a transcription factor with obvious potential for the regulation of gene expression during meiosis and the early development of spermatids. ..
- Jha R, Agarwal A, Mahfouz R, Paasch U, Grunewald S, Sabanegh E, et al. Determination of Poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) homologues in human ejaculated sperm and its correlation with sperm maturation. Fertil Steril. 2009;91:782-90 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are needed to delineate the role of PARP-9 in sperm physiology. The results from our study indicate an active role for PARPs in sperm cell physiology in preventing apoptosis. ..
- Harkey M, Asano A, Zoulas M, Torok Storb B, Nagashima J, Travis A. Isolation, genetic manipulation, and transplantation of canine spermatogonial stem cells: progress toward transgenesis through the male germ-line. Reproduction. 2013;146:75-90 pubmed publisher..These findings help to set the stage for generation of transgenic canine models via SSC transplantation. ..
- Kalb R, Strober B, Weinstein G, Lebwohl M. Methotrexate and psoriasis: 2009 National Psoriasis Foundation Consensus Conference. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009;60:824-37 pubmed publisher..In patients without risk factors for hepatic fibrosis, liver biopsies may not be indicated or the frequency of liver biopsies may be markedly reduced. ..
- Walters E, Bauer B, Franklin C, Evans T, Bryda E, Riley L, et al. Mutational insertion of a ROSA26-EGFP transgene leads to defects in spermiogenesis and male infertility in mice. Comp Med. 2009;59:545-52 pubmed..Although the males are always infertile, the severity of the histologic and sperm morphologic defects appeared to be age-related...
- Li K, Xu E, Cecil J, Turner F, Megraw T, Kaufman T. Drosophila centrosomin protein is required for male meiosis and assembly of the flagellar axoneme. J Cell Biol. 1998;141:455-67 pubmed..These results suggest that centrosomin is a necessary component of the meiotic centrosomes and the spermatid basal body. ..
- Zhong L, Belote J. The testis-specific proteasome subunit Prosalpha6T of D. melanogaster is required for individualization and nuclear maturation during spermatogenesis. Development. 2007;134:3517-25 pubmed..The results demonstrate a functional role of testis-specific proteasomes during Drosophila spermatogenesis. ..
- Amiri A, Keiper B, Kawasaki I, Fan Y, Kohara Y, Rhoads R, et al. An isoform of eIF4E is a component of germ granules and is required for spermatogenesis in C. elegans. Development. 2001;128:3899-912 pubmed..Our results suggest that C. elegans spermatogenesis requires either this specific isoform of eIF4E or an elevated level of eIF4E. ..
- Schmidt J, de Avila J, McLean D. Effect of vascular endothelial growth factor and testis tissue culture on spermatogenesis in bovine ectopic testis tissue xenografts. Biol Reprod. 2006;75:167-75 pubmed..These data indicate for the first time that bovine testis tissue can be manipulated to better support germ cell differentiation in grafted tissue. ..
- Eacker S, Shima J, Connolly C, Sharma M, Holdcraft R, Griswold M, et al. Transcriptional profiling of androgen receptor (AR) mutants suggests instructive and permissive roles of AR signaling in germ cell development. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:895-907 pubmed..The transcripts affected by these Ar mutations encode a diverse array of proteins whose molecular functions support the contention that AR supports spermatogenesis in both a permissive and instructive fashion. ..
- Koury S, Yarlagadda S, Moskalik Liermo K, Popli N, Kim N, Apolito C, et al. Differential gene expression during terminal erythroid differentiation. Genomics. 2007;90:574-82 pubmed..We have thus identified three genes not previously described as being expressed in erythroblasts that could be relevant in elucidating mechanisms involved in terminal erythroid differentiation. ..
- Jones A, Chen J, Hwang D, Miller D, Dalton J. Preclinical characterization of a (S)-N-(4-cyano-3-trifluoromethyl-phenyl)-3-(3-fluoro, 4-chlorophenoxy)-2-hydroxy-2-methyl-propanamide: a selective androgen receptor modulator for hormonal male contraception. Endocrinology. 2009;150:385-95 pubmed publisher..The beneficial effects of S-23 on the muscle, tissue selectivity, and favorable pharmacokinetic properties make it a strong candidate for use in oral male contraception. ..
- Zhou H, Liu L, Zhang H, Lei Z, Lan Z. Expression of zinc finger protein 105 in the testis and its role in male fertility. Mol Reprod Dev. 2010;77:511-20 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that ZFP105 is a male germ-cell factor and plays a role in male reproduction. ..
- ..This review examines the periodicity of testicular function along multiple time scales. ..
- Wang R, Zhao G. Transforming growth factor beta signal transducer Smad2 is expressed in mouse meiotic germ cells, Sertoli cells, and Leydig cells during spermatogenesis. Biol Reprod. 1999;61:999-1004 pubmed..Smad2 expression was also observed in interstitial cells and Sertoli cells. Therefore, our data provide molecular evidence for TGFbeta signal transduction during spermatogenesis. ..
- Yang W, Sperry A. C-terminal kinesin motor KIFC1 participates in acrosome biogenesis and vesicle transport. Biol Reprod. 2003;69:1719-29 pubmed..This article represents the first demonstration of a direct association of a molecular motor with the spermatid acrosome, the formation of which is essential for fertilization. ..
- Miller K, Shao M, Martin DeLeon P. Hyalp1 in murine sperm function: evidence for unique and overlapping functions with other reproductive hyaluronidases. J Androl. 2007;28:67-76 pubmed..Taken together, the findings reveal that Hyalp1 likely has a unique function in the adult testis, and redundant overlapping ones with Spam1 and may compensate for it in Spam1 null mice. ..
- Layman L, Tho S, Clark A, Kulharya A, McDonough P. Phenotypic spectrum of 45,X/46,XY males with a ring Y chromosome and bilaterally descended testes. Fertil Steril. 2009;91:791-7 pubmed publisher..This information will also be helpful for pediatric and reproductive endocrinologists in counseling males with bilaterally descended testes and a 45,X/46,X(r)Y karyotype. ..
- Youngren K, Nadeau J, Matin A. Testicular cancer susceptibility in the 129.MOLF-Chr19 mouse strain: additive effects, gene interactions and epigenetic modifications. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:389-98 pubmed..Finally, we propose that these TGCTs result from disrupted testicular and spermatogenic developmental programs. ..
- Wang G, Zhang J, Moskophidis D, Mivechi N. Targeted disruption of the heat shock transcription factor (hsf)-2 gene results in increased embryonic lethality, neuronal defects, and reduced spermatogenesis. Genesis. 2003;36:48-61 pubmed..These findings suggest that hsf2 has a major function in controlling expression of genes important for embryonic development and maintenance of sperm production. ..
- Hofmann M, Braydich Stolle L, Dettin L, Johnson E, Dym M. Immortalization of mouse germ line stem cells. Stem Cells. 2005;23:200-10 pubmed..Since the cells respond to GDNF by a marked increase in their rate of proliferation, this cell line represents a good in vitro model for studying aspects of mouse germ line stem cell biology. ..
- Caires K, de Avila J, McLean D. Vascular endothelial growth factor regulates germ cell survival during establishment of spermatogenesis in the bovine testis. Reproduction. 2009;138:667-77 pubmed publisher..These findings support the conclusion that VEGF supports germ cell survival and sperm production in bulls. ..
- Tong M, Mitchell D, McGowan S, Evanoff R, Griswold M. Two miRNA clusters, Mir-17-92 (Mirc1) and Mir-106b-25 (Mirc3), are involved in the regulation of spermatogonial differentiation in mice. Biol Reprod. 2012;86:72 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Mir-17-92 (Mirc1) cluster and Mir-106b-25 (Mirc3) cluster miRNAs possibly functionally cooperate in regulating spermatogonial development. ..
- Kaucher A, Oatley M, Oatley J. NEUROG3 is a critical downstream effector for STAT3-regulated differentiation of mammalian stem and progenitor spermatogonia. Biol Reprod. 2012;86:164, 1-11 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results establish a mechanism by which activation of STAT3 regulates the expression of NEUROG3 to subsequently drive differentiation of SSC and progenitor spermatogonia in the mammalian germline. ..
- Nangia A, Krieg S, Kim S. Clinical guidelines for sperm cryopreservation in cancer patients. Fertil Steril. 2013;100:1203-9 pubmed publisher..Cryopreservation should not be performed during treatment or for some time after treatment because of the chromosomal and structural damage to sperm from cancer treatment. Contraception should be instigated during this period. ..
- Choi Y, Aizawa A, Hecht N. Genomic analysis of the mouse protamine 1, protamine 2, and transition protein 2 gene cluster reveals hypermethylation in expressing cells. Mamm Genome. 1997;8:317-23 pubmed
- Belyamani M, Gangolli E, Idzerda R. Reproductive function in protein kinase inhibitor-deficient mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:3959-63 pubmed..The PKIbeta mutants were crossed with our previously derived PKIalpha mutants to obtain double-knockout mice. Remarkably, these mice are also viable and fertile with no obvious physiological defects in either males or females. ..
- Sawhney P, Giammona C, Meistrich M, Richburg J. Cisplatin-induced long-term failure of spermatogenesis in adult C57/Bl/6J mice. J Androl. 2005;26:136-45 pubmed..These results suggest that cisplatin-induced germ cell loss may occur, in part, as a result of Sertoli cell injury-dependent alterations in germ cell microenvironment. ..
- Russell L, Hunsicker P, Russell W. Comparison of the genetic effects of equimolar doses of ENU and MNU: while the chemicals differ dramatically in their mutagenicity in stem-cell spermatogonia, both elicit very high mutation rates in differentiating spermatogonia. Mutat Res. 2007;616:181-95 pubmed..g., chromosome aberrations, toxicity to germ cells and to animals, teratogenicity) revealed that while MNU is generally more effective, the opposite is true when the target cells are SG. ..
- Chu Y, Huddleston G, Clancy A, Harris R, Bartness T. Epididymal fat is necessary for spermatogenesis, but not testosterone production or copulatory behavior. Endocrinology. 2010;151:5669-79 pubmed publisher..Selective surgical testicular denervation did not affect spermatogenesis. Collectively, these results suggest the presence of a local, but currently unidentified, growth and/or nutritive factor from EWAT that promotes spermatogenesis. ..
- Ellis R, Kimble J. The fog-3 gene and regulation of cell fate in the germ line of Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 1995;139:561-77 pubmed..Such a regulatory network would link the adoption of one germ-cell fate to the suppression of the other two. ..
- Ha H, van Wijnen A, Hecht N. Tissue-specific protein-DNA interactions of the mouse protamine 2 gene promoter. J Cell Biochem. 1997;64:94-105 pubmed
- Davies H, Giorgini F, Fajardo M, Braun R. A sequence-specific RNA binding complex expressed in murine germ cells contains MSY2 and MSY4. Dev Biol. 2000;221:87-100 pubmed..Polysome analysis demonstrates MSY4 is associated with mRNPs, consistent with MSY4 having a role in storing repressed messages. ..
- Luitjens C, Gallegos M, Kraemer B, Kimble J, Wickens M. CPEB proteins control two key steps in spermatogenesis in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2000;14:2596-609 pubmed..In sum, our results demonstrate that, in C. elegans, two CPEB proteins have distinct functions in the germ line, both in spermatogenesis: FOG-1 specifies the sperm cell fate and CPB-1 executes that decision. ..
- Tash J, Johnson D, Enders G. Long-term (6-wk) hindlimb suspension inhibits spermatogenesis in adult male rats. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2002;92:1191-8 pubmed..These results have significant implications regarding serious effects of long-term exposure to microG on the reproductive capability of scrotal mammals, including humans. ..
- Popodi E, Hoyle H, Turner F, Raff E. Cooperativity between the beta-tubulin carboxy tail and the body of the molecule is required for microtubule function. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2008;65:955-63 pubmed publisher..We show that in males of experimental genotypes that express wild type tubulins but have half the amount of the normal tubulin pool size, sperm tails are substantially shorter than wild type. ..
- Moss S, Challoner P, Groudine M. Expression of a novel histone 2B during mouse spermiogenesis. Dev Biol. 1989;133:83-92 pubmed..The H2b mRNA is in polyribosomes isolated from spermatogenic cells, strongly suggesting that it is translated during spermiogenesis. ..
- Clandinin T, DeModena J, Sternberg P. Inositol trisphosphate mediates a RAS-independent response to LET-23 receptor tyrosine kinase activation in C. elegans. Cell. 1998;92:523-33 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that one mechanism by which receptor tyrosine kinases can evoke tissue-specific responses is through activation of distinct signal transduction cascades in different tissues. ..
- Heim C, Minniear K, Dann C. Imatinib has deleterious effects on differentiating spermatogonia while sparing spermatogonial stem cell self renewal. Reprod Toxicol. 2011;31:454-63 pubmed publisher..These results build upon the in vivo studies and support the possibility of utilizing GS cell cultures for preclinical drug tests...
- Lee M, Kim K, Morgan C, Morgan D, Kimble J. Phosphorylation state of a Tob/BTG protein, FOG-3, regulates initiation and maintenance of the Caenorhabditis elegans sperm fate program. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:9125-30 pubmed publisher..We discuss implications of our results for Tob/BTG proteins in vertebrates. ..
- Li W, Park J, Zheng D, Hoque M, Yehia G, Tian B. Alternative cleavage and polyadenylation in spermatogenesis connects chromatin regulation with post-transcriptional control. BMC Biol. 2016;14:6 pubmed publisher..Stable mRNAs generated in spermatids may be important for protein production at later stages of sperm maturation, when transcription is globally halted. ..
- Wang G, Ying Z, Jin X, Tu N, Zhang Y, Phillips M, et al. Essential requirement for both hsf1 and hsf2 transcriptional activity in spermatogenesis and male fertility. Genesis. 2004;38:66-80 pubmed..The findings suggest that additive or synergistic transcriptional activity of both hsf1 and hsf2 is required for normal mammalian spermatogenesis and male fertility. ..
- Skålhegg B, Huang Y, Su T, Idzerda R, McKnight G, Burton K. Mutation of the Calpha subunit of PKA leads to growth retardation and sperm dysfunction. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:630-9 pubmed..Analysis of sperm in Calpha knockout males revealed that spermatogenesis progressed normally but that mature sperm had defective forward motility. ..
- Rouhana L, Tasaki J, Saberi A, Newmark P. Genetic dissection of the planarian reproductive system through characterization of Schmidtea mediterranea CPEB homologs. Dev Biol. 2017;426:43-55 pubmed publisher..These findings provide mechanistic insight into potentially conserved processes of germ cell development, as well as events involved in capsule deposition by flatworms. ..
- Pauli D, Mahowald A. Germ-line sex determination in Drosophila melanogaster. Trends Genet. 1990;6:259-64 pubmed..Only some of the genes involved in somatic sex determination are also needed for germ cell development. Recent genetic studies have identified loci required for germ-line sex determination. ..
- Wayman C, Phillips S, Lunny C, Webb T, Fawcett L, Baxendale R, et al. Phosphodiesterase 11 (PDE11) regulation of spermatozoa physiology. Int J Impot Res. 2005;17:216-23 pubmed..These data are consistent with human data and suggest a role for PDE11 in spermatogenesis and fertilization potential. This is the first phenotype described for the PDE11-/- mouse and the first report of a physiological role for PDE11. ..
- Yang W, Jefferson H, Sperry A. The molecular motor KIFC1 associates with a complex containing nucleoporin NUP62 that is regulated during development and by the small GTPase RAN. Biol Reprod. 2006;74:684-90 pubmed
- Antelman J, Manandhar G, Yi Y, Li R, Whitworth K, Sutovsky M, et al. Expression of mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) during porcine gametogenesis and preimplantation embryo development. J Cell Physiol. 2008;217:529-43 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data on the role of TFAM in mitochondrial function and inheritance have broad implications for cell physiology and evolutionary biology. ..
- Agarwal A, Mahfouz R, Sharma R, Sarkar O, Mangrola D, Mathur P. Potential biological role of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) in male gametes. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2009;7:143 pubmed publisher..PARP could provide new strategies to preserve fertility in cancer patients subjected to genotoxic stresses and may be a key to better male reproductive health. ..
- Ha H, Howard C, Yeom Y, Abe K, Uehara H, Artzt K, et al. Several testis-expressed genes in the mouse t-complex have expression differences between wild-type and t-mutant mice. Dev Genet. 1991;12:318-32 pubmed..Interestingly, four Tctex genes show differences in the amount of transcript between wild-type and t-mutant testes. The chromosomal location and expression pattern imply that Tctex genes might be candidate genes for sterility or TRD. ..
- Thomas K, del Mazo J, Eversole P, Bellve A, Hiraoka Y, Li S, et al. Developmental regulation of expression of the lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) multigene family during mouse spermatogenesis. Development. 1990;109:483-93 pubmed..Experimental observations made in this study provide new insight into the order and sequence of events involved in the regulation of gene expression of the LDH gene family during spermatogenesis. ..
- O Neill M, Artzt K. Identification of a germ-cell-specific transcriptional repressor in the promoter of Tctex-1. Development. 1995;121:561-8 pubmed..Transfection assays using Tctex-1 promoter constructs suggest that GIM functions as a transcriptional repressor. The possible role of Tctex-1 in t complex transmission ratio distortion and sterility is discussed. ..
- Yang J, Porter L, Rawls J. Expression of the dihydroorotate dehydrogenase gene, dhod, during spermatogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1995;246:334-41 pubmed..These results are discussed in the contexts of known mechanisms of gene regulation during spermatogenesis and potential roles of DHOdehase during spermiogenesis. ..
- Lee K, Frame S, Sykes G, Valentine R. Testicular degeneration and spermatid retention in young male rats. Toxicol Pathol. 1993;21:292-302 pubmed..Many seminiferous tubules were lined with only 1-2 layers of spermatocytes, and specific germ cell markers were not present...
- Graham P, Kimble J. The mog-1 gene is required for the switch from spermatogenesis to oogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 1993;133:919-31 pubmed..A loss of mog-1 might inappropriately activate fem-3 and thereby abolish the sperm/oocyte switch; its loss might also lead to misregulation of maternal RNAs and thus embryonic death. ..
- Gu W, Hecht N. Translation of a testis-specific Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase (SOD-1) mRNA is regulated by a 65-kilodalton protein which binds to its 5' untranslated region. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:4535-43 pubmed..We conclude that SOD-RBP serves as a repressor in the translation of TSOD-1 mRNA during spermiogenesis and thereby fine-tunes the level of Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase produced in maturing germ cells. ..
- Gu W, Hecht N. Developmental expression of glutathione peroxidase, catalase, and manganese superoxide dismutase mRNAs during spermatogenesis in the mouse. J Androl. 1996;17:256-62 pubmed..These data suggest that translational regulation plays a more prominent role for SOD-2 expression than for GSHPx or CAT expression in the mammalian testis. ..
- Raff E, Fackenthal J, Hutchens J, Hoyle H, Turner F. Microtubule architecture specified by a beta-tubulin isoform. Science. 1997;275:70-3 pubmed..Thus, the architecture of the microtubule cytoskeleton can be directed by a component beta-tubulin. ..
- Goddu S, Narra V, Harapanhalli R, Howell R, Rao D. Radioprotection by DMSO against the biological effects of incorporated radionuclides in vivo--Comparison with other radioprotectors and evidence for indirect action of Auger electrons. Acta Oncol. 1996;35:901-7 pubmed..The present findings provide supporting evidence that the mechanism responsible for the extreme biological damage caused by DNA-bound Auger emitters is largely radical mediated and therefore indirect in nature...
- Sarge K, Cullen K. Regulation of hsp expression during rodent spermatogenesis. Cell Mol Life Sci. 1997;53:191-7 pubmed..Possible mechanisms are discussed. ..
- Fajardo M, Haugen H, Clegg C, Braun R. Separate elements in the 3' untranslated region of the mouse protamine 1 mRNA regulate translational repression and activation during murine spermatogenesis. Dev Biol. 1997;191:42-52 pubmed..These results suggest that an additional region of the Prm-1 3' UTR is required for proper translational activation and that Prm-1 translational repression elements can be separated from those involved in translational activation. ..
- Gu W, Tekur S, Reinbold R, Eppig J, Choi Y, Zheng J, et al. Mammalian male and female germ cells express a germ cell-specific Y-Box protein, MSY2. Biol Reprod. 1998;59:1266-74 pubmed..MSY2 is maternally inherited in the one-cell-stage embryo but is not detected in the late two-cell-stage embryo. This loss of MSY2 is coincident with the bulk degradation of maternal mRNAs in the two-cell embryo. ..
- Liu Y, Black J, Kisiel N, Kulesz Martin M. SPAF, a new AAA-protein specific to early spermatogenesis and malignant conversion. Oncogene. 2000;19:1579-88 pubmed..Ectopic expression of the SPAF gene in malignant epidermal cells may signify adoption of an early germ cell-like phenotype advantageous in malignant conversion. ..
- Wagoner K, Sanchez G, Nguyen A, Enders G, Blanco G. Different expression and activity of the alpha1 and alpha4 isoforms of the Na,K-ATPase during rat male germ cell ontogeny. Reproduction. 2005;130:627-41 pubmed..These results support the importance of alpha4 in male gamete differentiation and function. ..
- Brower J, Rodic N, Seki T, Jorgensen M, Fliess N, Yachnis A, et al. Evolutionarily conserved mammalian adenine nucleotide translocase 4 is essential for spermatogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:29658-66 pubmed
- Hogarth C, Mitchell D, Small C, Griswold M. EGR4 displays both a cell- and intracellular-specific localization pattern in the developing murine testis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:3106-14 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that Egr4 may regulate spermatogenesis at multiple steps, with roles in the dividing Sertoli cells, peritubular myoid cells, and the meiotic and elongating haploid germ cell populations. ..
- Chang T, Yang Y, Yasue H, Bharti A, Retzel E, Liu W. The expansion of the PRAME gene family in Eutheria. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16867 pubmed publisher..Conversely, selective constraints have operated on the expanded PRAMEYs to preserve their essential function in spermatogenesis...
- Rodriguez Mari A, Wilson C, Titus T, Canestro C, Bremiller R, Yan Y, et al. Roles of brca2 (fancd1) in oocyte nuclear architecture, gametogenesis, gonad tumors, and genome stability in zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001357 pubmed publisher..Overall, this work verified zebrafish as a model for the role of Brca2 in human disease and uncovered a novel function of Brca2 in vertebrate oocyte nuclear architecture. ..
- Robinson M, Simon M. Determining transcript number using the polymerase chain reaction: Pgk-2, mP2, and PGK-2 transgene mRNA levels during spermatogenesis. Nucleic Acids Res. 1991;19:1557-62 pubmed..Mouse protamine 2 (mP2) is expressed at a level approximately tenfold higher than Pgk-2 and displays a different pattern of expression consistent with initiation of transcription occurring in haploid round spermatids. ..
- Hoyle H, Raff E. Two Drosophila beta tubulin isoforms are not functionally equivalent. J Cell Biol. 1990;111:1009-26 pubmed
- Browning H, Strome S. A sperm-supplied factor required for embryogenesis in C. elegans. Development. 1996;122:391-404 pubmed..In contrast to the many known maternal factors required for embryogenesis, SPE-11 is the first paternally contributed factor to be genetically identified and molecularly characterized. ..
- Lingenfelter P, Delbridge M, Thomas S, Hoekstra H, Mitchell M, Graves J, et al. Expression and conservation of processed copies of the RBMX gene. Mamm Genome. 2001;12:538-45 pubmed..This autosomal, testis-specific copy of RBMX could potentially compensate for RBMX that is presumably inactivated in male germ cells, in a manner analogous to autosomal retroposed copies of other X-linked genes. ..
- Bender C, Sikes M, Sullivan R, Huye L, Le Beau M, Roth D, et al. Cancer predisposition and hematopoietic failure in Rad50(S/S) mice. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2237-51 pubmed..The data indicate that even subtle perturbation of Mre11 complex functions results in severe genotoxic stress, and that the complex is critically important for homeostasis of proliferative tissues. ..
- Bachorik J, Kimble J. Redundant control of the Caenorhabditis elegans sperm/oocyte switch by PUF-8 and FBF-1, two distinct PUF RNA-binding proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:10893-7 pubmed..We suggest that PUF-8 and FBF-1 may control fog-2 expression, and that the sperm/oocyte decision occurs in the distal germ line. ..
- Chakrabarti R, Kline D, Lu J, Orth J, Pilder S, Vijayaraghavan S. Analysis of Ppp1cc-null mice suggests a role for PP1gamma2 in sperm morphogenesis. Biol Reprod. 2007;76:992-1001 pubmed..These data suggest that in addition to its previously documented role in motility, PP1gamma2 is involved in sperm tail morphogenesis. ..
- Liu Y, Maine E. The Bro1-domain protein, EGO-2, promotes Notch signaling in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2007;176:2265-77 pubmed..We document a complex phenotypic interaction between ego-2 and alx-1, consistent with their relationship being antagonistic with respect to some developmental processes and agonistic with respect to others. ..
- Metcalf C, Wassarman D. Nucleolar colocalization of TAF1 and testis-specific TAFs during Drosophila spermatogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2836-43 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest stepwise assembly of a testis-specific TFIID complex (tTFIID) whereby a TAF1 isoform, presumably TAF1-2, is recruited to a core subassembly of tTAFs in spermatocyte nucleoli. ..
- Ma W, Horvath G, Kistler M, Kistler W. Expression patterns of SP1 and SP3 during mouse spermatogenesis: SP1 down-regulation correlates with two successive promoter changes and translationally compromised transcripts. Biol Reprod. 2008;79:289-300 pubmed publisher..As part of this work, we also identified five additional, minor Sp1 cap sites by 5' rapid amplification of cDNA ends, including a trans-spliced RNA originating from the Glcci1 gene. ..
- Sadate Ngatchou P, Payne C, Dearth A, Braun R. Cre recombinase activity specific to postnatal, premeiotic male germ cells in transgenic mice. Genesis. 2008;46:738-42 pubmed publisher..The postnatal, premeiotic, male germ cell-specific activity of Stra8-cre makes this mouse line a unique resource to study testicular germ cell development. ..