Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on sodium channels in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: sodium channels
Publications176 found, 100 shown here
- Kapoor N, Bartoszewski R, Qadri Y, Bebok Z, Bubien J, Fuller C, et al. Knockdown of ASIC1 and epithelial sodium channel subunits inhibits glioblastoma whole cell current and cell migration. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:24526-41 pubmed publisher..We also found a significant inhibition of D54-MG cell migration after ASIC1, alphaENaC, or gammaENaC knockdown, consistent with the hypothesis that ENaC/Degenerin subunits play an important role in glioma cell biology. ..
- Tao J, Rolls M. Dendrites have a rapid program of injury-induced degeneration that is molecularly distinct from developmental pruning. J Neurosci. 2011;31:5398-405 pubmed publisher..Thus, dendrites do have a rapid program of degeneration, as do axons, but this program does not require the machinery used during developmental pruning. ..
- Sherwood T, Lee K, Gormley M, Askwith C. Heteromeric acid-sensing ion channels (ASICs) composed of ASIC2b and ASIC1a display novel channel properties and contribute to acidosis-induced neuronal death. J Neurosci. 2011;31:9723-34 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these data indicate that ASIC2, like ASIC1, plays a role in acidosis-induced neuronal death and implicate the ASIC2b/1a subtype as a novel pharmacological target to prevent neuronal injury after stroke. ..
- Petrosyan H, Hunanyan A, Alessi V, Schnell L, Levine J, Arvanian V. Neutralization of inhibitory molecule NG2 improves synaptic transmission, retrograde transport, and locomotor function after spinal cord injury in adult rats. J Neurosci. 2013;33:4032-43 pubmed publisher..Neutralizing antibodies against NG2 may be an excellent way to promote axonal conduction after SCI. ..
- Wei Y, Krishnan G, Bazhenov M. Synaptic Mechanisms of Memory Consolidation during Sleep Slow Oscillations. J Neurosci. 2016;36:4231-47 pubmed publisher..This study provided, for the first time, a mechanistic explanation of how slow-wave sleep may promote consolidation of recent memory events. ..
- Hossain W, Antic S, Yang Y, Rasband M, Morest D. Where is the spike generator of the cochlear nerve? Voltage-gated sodium channels in the mouse cochlea. J Neurosci. 2005;25:6857-68 pubmed
- Park Y, Johnston D, Gray R. Slowly inactivating component of Na+ current in peri-somatic region of hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2013;109:1378-90 pubmed publisher..Current-clamp measurements with hexanol suggested that INaS was involved in generation of an action potential and in upregulation of neuronal excitability. ..
- Hurd D, Stern M, Saxton W. Mutation of the axonal transport motor kinesin enhances paralytic and suppresses Shaker in Drosophila. Genetics. 1996;142:195-204 pubmed..We hypothesize that a loss of kinesin function inhibits the anterograde axonal transport of vesicles bearing sodium channels. ..
- Neusch C, Böhme V, Riesland N, Althaus M, Moser A. The dopamine D2 receptor agonist alpha-dihydroergocryptine modulates voltage-gated sodium channels in the rat caudate-putamen. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2000;107:531-41 pubmed..The results give one rationale for the proposed neuroprotective effect of alpha-DHEC. ..
- Bobkov Y, Ache B. Calcium sensitivity of a sodium-activated nonselective cation channel in lobster olfactory receptor neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2003;90:2928-40 pubmed
- Dravid S, Baden D, Murray T. Brevetoxin activation of voltage-gated sodium channels regulates Ca dynamics and ERK1/2 phosphorylation in murine neocortical neurons. J Neurochem. 2004;89:739-49 pubmed
- Kung C, Blount P. Channels in microbes: so many holes to fill. Mol Microbiol. 2004;53:373-80 pubmed..The intellectual and technical schisms between 'neuro' and 'micro' biology must be bridged before we know how we became so smart, and whether microbes are just as smart. ..
- Molliver D, Immke D, Fierro L, Pare M, Rice F, McCleskey E. ASIC3, an acid-sensing ion channel, is expressed in metaboreceptive sensory neurons. Mol Pain. 2005;1:35 pubmed..We suggest that these latter afferents may be muscle metaboreceptors, neurons that sense the metabolic state of muscle and can trigger pain when there is insufficient oxygen. ..
- Kalume F, Yu F, Westenbroek R, Scheuer T, Catterall W. Reduced sodium current in Purkinje neurons from Nav1.1 mutant mice: implications for ataxia in severe myoclonic epilepsy in infancy. J Neurosci. 2007;27:11065-74 pubmed..Loss of these channels in Purkinje neurons of mutant mice and SMEI patients may be sufficient to cause their ataxia and related functional deficits. ..
- Ball J, Franklin C, Tobin A, Schulz D, Nair S. Coregulation of ion channel conductances preserves output in a computational model of a crustacean cardiac motor neuron. J Neurosci. 2010;30:8637-8649 pubmed publisher..We then developed a methodology of sampling a multidimensional parameter space to select an appropriate model set for meaningful comparison with variations in correlations seen in biological datasets. ..
- Gallaher Z, Larios R, Ryu V, Sprunger L, Czaja K. Recovery of viscerosensory innervation from the dorsal root ganglia of the adult rat following capsaicin-induced injury. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:3529-40 pubmed publisher..These data strongly support the conclusion that restoration of spinal afferent projections and signaling occurs in adult rats following capsaicin-induced damage. ..
- Wang K, Liu X, Aragam N. A genome-wide meta-analysis identifies novel loci associated with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Schizophr Res. 2010;124:192-9 pubmed publisher..These findings will serve as a resource for replication in other populations to elucidate the potential role of these genetic variants in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. ..
- Wright M, Ribera A. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor mediates non-cell-autonomous regulation of sensory neuron position and identity. J Neurosci. 2010;30:14513-21 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results demonstrate that neurotrophins mediate non-cell-autonomous maintenance of position and thereby the identity of differentiated neurons. ..
- Bender A, Morse R, Scott R, Holmes G, Lenck Santini P. SCN1A mutations in Dravet syndrome: impact of interneuron dysfunction on neural networks and cognitive outcome. Epilepsy Behav. 2012;23:177-86 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that disruptions in GABAergic firing may directly contribute to the poor cognitive outcomes in children with DS, and discuss the therapeutic implications of this possibility. ..
- Makielski J. Late sodium current: A mechanism for angina, heart failure, and arrhythmia. Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2016;26:115-22 pubmed publisher..This review provides an overview of the underlying bases for the clinical implications of late sodium current block. ..
- Bubien J, Keeton D, Fuller C, Gillespie G, Reddy A, Mapstone T, et al. Malignant human gliomas express an amiloride-sensitive Na+ conductance. Am J Physiol. 1999;276:C1405-10 pubmed..These results indicate that the functional expression of amiloride-sensitive Na+ currents is a characteristic feature of malignant brain tumor cells and that this pathway may be a potentially useful target for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Clancy C, Rudy Y. Na(+) channel mutation that causes both Brugada and long-QT syndrome phenotypes: a simulation study of mechanism. Circulation. 2002;105:1208-13 pubmed..The results highlight the complexity and multiplicity of genotype-phenotype relationships, and the usefulness of computational approaches in establishing a mechanistic link between genetic defects and functional abnormalities. ..
- Custer A, Kazarinova Noyes K, Sakurai T, Xu X, Simon W, Grumet M, et al. The role of the ankyrin-binding protein NrCAM in node of Ranvier formation. J Neurosci. 2003;23:10032-9 pubmed..To match experimental measurements, this latter reaction needs fast kinetics, and the early arrival of NrCAM is postulated to contribute to this requirement. ..
- Li W, Marquez B, Okino T, Yokokawa F, Shioiri T, Gerwick W, et al. Characterization of the preferred stereochemistry for the neuropharmacologic actions of antillatoxin. J Nat Prod. 2004;67:559-68 pubmed..The decreased potency of the three non-naturally occurring antillatoxin stereoisomers is certainly a result of their dramatically altered overall molecular topologies. ..
- Chen Y, Cantrell A, Messing R, Scheuer T, Catterall W. Specific modulation of Na+ channels in hippocampal neurons by protein kinase C epsilon. J Neurosci. 2005;25:507-13 pubmed..Overall, our data from four experimental approaches indicate that anchored PKCepsilon is the isozyme responsible for PKC-mediated reduction of peak Na+ currents in mouse hippocampal neurons. ..
- Catterall W, Yu F. Painful channels. Neuron. 2006;52:743-4 pubmed..7 channels as key players in signaling nociceptive information and as a potential target for drug therapy of chronic pain. ..
- Tian X, Cheng Y, Zhang T, Liao M, Yong S, Wang Q. Optical mapping of ventricular arrhythmias in LQTS mice with SCN5A mutation N1325S. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;352:879-83 pubmed..Nifedipine, an L-type calcium channel blocker, decreased the frequency of VT, indicating the involvement of abnormalities of the calcium homeostasis in the genesis of VT in TG-NS/LQT3 mice. ..
- Cronk L, Ye B, Kaku T, Tester D, Vatta M, Makielski J, et al. Novel mechanism for sudden infant death syndrome: persistent late sodium current secondary to mutations in caveolin-3. Heart Rhythm. 2007;4:161-6 pubmed..This study provides the first molecular and functional evidence implicating CAV3 as a pathogenic basis of SIDS. The LQT3-like phenotype of increased late sodium current supports an arrhythmogenic mechanism for some cases of SIDS. ..
- Song Y, Shryock J, Belardinelli L. An increase of late sodium current induces delayed afterdepolarizations and sustained triggered activity in atrial myocytes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;294:H2031-9 pubmed publisher..The data reveal that an increase of late I(Na) is a novel mechanism for initiation of atrial arrhythmic activity. ..
- Bender K, Trussell L. Axon initial segment Ca2+ channels influence action potential generation and timing. Neuron. 2009;61:259-71 pubmed publisher..Similar results were found in cortex and cerebellum. Thus, voltage-gated Ca(2+) channels at the site of spike initiation play a key role in generating and shaping spike bursts. ..
- Moreno R, Ribera A. Zebrafish motor neuron subtypes differ electrically prior to axonal outgrowth. J Neurophysiol. 2009;102:2477-84 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the differences are evident prior to axon genesis and persist to the latest stage studied, 2 days postfertilization. ..
- Wang H, Zhang L, Silva A, Benitez J. A quinazoline-2,4-diamino analog suppresses Vibrio cholerae flagellar motility by interacting with motor protein PomB and induces envelope stress. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57:3950-9 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Q24DA-induced envelope stress could affect the correct folding, assembly, and secretion of pentameric cholera toxin in El Tor biotype V. cholerae independently of its effect on motility. ..
- Ye J, Mui W, Ren J, Hunt T, Wu W, Zbuzek V. Ondansetron exhibits the properties of a local anesthetic. Anesth Analg. 1997;85:1116-21 pubmed..We found that it also causes numbness when injected under the skin. This new action may contribute to its role in "calming the stomach." We studied the effect of ondansetron on the isolated brain cells of live rats. ..
- Goldwyn J, Shea Brown E. The what and where of adding channel noise to the Hodgkin-Huxley equations. PLoS Comput Biol. 2011;7:e1002247 pubmed publisher..We supply user-friendly MATLAB simulation code of these stochastic versions of the Hodgkin-Huxley equations on the ModelDB website (accession number 138950) and http://www.amath.washington.edu/~etsb/tutorials.html. ..
- Heatwole C, Statland J, Logigian E. The diagnosis and treatment of myotonic disorders. Muscle Nerve. 2013;47:632-48 pubmed publisher..We review the pathomechanisms of myotonia, the clinical features of the dystrophic and nondystrophic myotonic disorders, and the diagnostic approach and treatment options for patients with symptomatic myotonia...
- Fairey E, Bottein Dechraoui M, Sheets M, Ramsdell J. Modification of the cell based assay for brevetoxins using human cardiac voltage dependent sodium channels expressed in HEK-293 cells. Biosens Bioelectron. 2001;16:579-86 pubmed..The expression of voltage dependent sodium channels in HEK cells is anticipated to provide enhanced performance for cell-based detection of toxins for drug and natural product discovery, biomonitoring and environmental monitoring. ..
- Ganapathy V, Thangaraju M, Gopal E, Martin P, Itagaki S, Miyauchi S, et al. Sodium-coupled monocarboxylate transporters in normal tissues and in cancer. AAPS J. 2008;10:193-9 pubmed publisher..These drugs are not transportable substrates for SLC5A8, but instead function as blockers of the transporter. Relatively less is known on the role of SLC5A12 in drug transport. ..
- Mori N, Schoenherr C, Vandenbergh D, Anderson D. A common silencer element in the SCG10 and type II Na+ channel genes binds a factor present in nonneuronal cells but not in neuronal cells. Neuron. 1992;9:45-54 pubmed..These data identify the NRSE as a potentially general DNA element for the control of neuron-specific gene expression in vertebrates. ..
- Mao W, You T, Ye B, Li X, Dong H, Hill J, et al. Reactive oxygen species suppress cardiac NaV1.5 expression through Foxo1. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32738 pubmed publisher..These studies indicate that Foxo1 negatively regulates Na(V)1.5 expression in cardiomyocytes and reactive oxygen species suppress Na(V)1.5 expression through Foxo1. ..
- Raymond C, Castle J, Garrett Engele P, Armour C, Kan Z, Tsinoremas N, et al. Expression of alternatively spliced sodium channel alpha-subunit genes. Unique splicing patterns are observed in dorsal root ganglia. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:46234-41 pubmed..Consistent down-regulation of all transcripts was observed, as well as significant changes in the splicing patterns of SCN8A and SCN9A. ..
- Payandeh J, Gamal El Din T, Scheuer T, Zheng N, Catterall W. Crystal structure of a voltage-gated sodium channel in two potentially inactivated states. Nature. 2012;486:135-9 pubmed publisher..These potential inactivated-state structures provide new insights into Na(V) channel gating and novel avenues to drug development and therapy for a range of debilitating Na(V) channelopathies...
- Grifoni S, McKey S, Drummond H. Hsc70 regulates cell surface ASIC2 expression and vascular smooth muscle cell migration. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;294:H2022-30 pubmed publisher..Because VSMC migration contributes to vasculogenesis and remodeling following vascular injury, our findings raise the possibility that ASIC2-Hsc70 interactions may play a role in these processes. ..
- Zhang T, Yong S, Drinko J, Popovic Z, Shryock J, Belardinelli L, et al. LQTS mutation N1325S in cardiac sodium channel gene SCN5A causes cardiomyocyte apoptosis, cardiac fibrosis and contractile dysfunction in mice. Int J Cardiol. 2011;147:239-45 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we provide the experimental evidence supporting the notion that some LQTS patients have an increased risk of structural and functional cardiac damage in a prolonged disease course. ..
- Hershberger R, Parks S, Kushner J, Li D, Ludwigsen S, Jakobs P, et al. Coding sequence mutations identified in MYH7, TNNT2, SCN5A, CSRP3, LBD3, and TCAP from 313 patients with familial or idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Clin Transl Sci. 2008;1:21-6 pubmed publisher..8%) and 18 of 183 with FDC (9.8%) Mutations of these six genes each account for a small fraction of the genetic cause of FDC/IDC. The frequency of possible or likely disease-causing mutations in these genes is similar for IDC and FDC. ..
- Fergestad T, Ganetzky B, Palladino M. Neuropathology in Drosophila membrane excitability mutants. Genetics. 2006;172:1031-42 pubmed..Disruption of these signaling mechanisms in any of a variety of ways increases the incidence of neurodegeneration. ..
- Nadeau H, Lester H. NRSF causes cAMP-sensitive suppression of sodium current in cultured hippocampal neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2002;88:409-21 pubmed..The striking similarity of the phenotypes makes NRSF potentially useful as a genetic "silencer" and also suggests avenues of further exploration that may elucidate the transcription factor's in vivo role in neuronal plasticity...
- Tester D, Will M, Haglund C, Ackerman M. Compendium of cardiac channel mutations in 541 consecutive unrelated patients referred for long QT syndrome genetic testing. Heart Rhythm. 2005;2:507-17 pubmed..These observations should facilitate diagnostic interpretation of the clinical genetic test for LQTS. ..
- Hu X, Zhou X, He W, Yang J, Xiong W, Wong P, et al. BACE1 deficiency causes altered neuronal activity and neurodegeneration. J Neurosci. 2010;30:8819-29 pubmed publisher..The knowledge from this study is crucial for the development of BACE1 inhibitors for Alzheimer's therapy and to the applicative study of epilepsy. ..
- Sotoodehnia N, Isaacs A, de Bakker P, Dorr M, Newton Cheh C, Nolte I, et al. Common variants in 22 loci are associated with QRS duration and cardiac ventricular conduction. Nat Genet. 2010;42:1068-76 pubmed publisher..These findings extend our current knowledge of ventricular depolarization and conduction...
- Poelzing S, Forleo C, Samodell M, Dudash L, Sorrentino S, Anaclerio M, et al. SCN5A polymorphism restores trafficking of a Brugada syndrome mutation on a separate gene. Circulation. 2006;114:368-76 pubmed..More importantly, this study suggests that genetic polymorphisms may be a potential target for future therapies aimed at rescuing specific dysfunctional protein channels. ..
- Trzaska K, Reddy B, Munoz J, Li K, Ye J, Rameshwar P. Loss of RE-1 silencing factor in mesenchymal stem cell-derived dopamine progenitors induces functional maturity. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;39:285-90 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results show REST as the limiting gene in the generation of functional mature neurons from MSCs. ..
- Wu L, Nishiyama K, Hollyfield J, Wang Q. Localization of Nav1.5 sodium channel protein in the mouse brain. Neuroreport. 2002;13:2547-51 pubmed..These results suggest that Na(v)1.5 protein may play a role in the physiology of the central nervous system (generation and propagation of electrical signals by axons). ..
- Tan B, Iturralde Torres P, Medeiros Domingo A, Nava S, Tester D, Valdivia C, et al. A novel C-terminal truncation SCN5A mutation from a patient with sick sinus syndrome, conduction disorder and ventricular tachycardia. Cardiovasc Res. 2007;76:409-17 pubmed..It has a marked loss-of-function and unique phenotype of SSS, CCD and VT with incomplete penetrance. ..
- Wang S, Tikhonov D, Mitchell J, Zhorov B, Wang G. Irreversible block of cardiac mutant Na+ channels by batrachotoxin. Channels (Austin). 2007;1:179-88 pubmed..5-N927 is critical for ion permeation between bound BTX and D2S6, probably because the side-chain of N927 helps coordinate permeating Na(+) ions. ..
- Bottein Dechraoui M, Ramsdell J. Type B brevetoxins show tissue selectivity for voltage-gated sodium channels: comparison of brain, skeletal muscle and cardiac sodium channels. Toxicon. 2003;41:919-27 pubmed..The lower selectivity of type B brevetoxins for heart sodium channels may result from a more rigid backbone structure than is found in type A brevetoxins and ciguatoxins. ..
- Hong C, Ganetzky B. Molecular characterization of neurally expressing genes in the para sodium channel gene cluster of drosophila. Genetics. 1996;142:879-92 pubmed
- Guertin A, Zhang D, Mak K, Alberta J, Kim H. Microanatomy of axon/glial signaling during Wallerian degeneration. J Neurosci. 2005;25:3478-87 pubmed
- Dechraoui M, Wacksman J, Ramsdell J. Species selective resistance of cardiac muscle voltage gated sodium channels: characterization of brevetoxin and ciguatoxin binding sites in rats and fish. Toxicon. 2006;48:702-12 pubmed..These new insights into PbTxs and CTXs binding in fish and mammalian excitable tissues indicate a species related resistance of heart VGSC in the rat; yet, with comparable sensitivity between the species for brain and skeletal muscle. ..
- Xiao C, Zhou C, Li K, Davies D, Ye J. Purinergic type 2 receptors at GABAergic synapses on ventral tegmental area dopamine neurons are targets for ethanol action. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2008;327:196-205 pubmed publisher..These findings are also consistent with the notion that P2Rs at GABA-releasing terminals on VTA dopaminergic neurons are important targets for ethanol action. ..
- Liu J, Moss A, Jons C, Benhorin J, Schwartz P, Spazzolini C, et al. Mutation-specific risk in two genetic forms of type 3 long QT syndrome. Am J Cardiol. 2010;105:210-3 pubmed publisher..The findings highlight the importance of knowing the specific mutation in risk stratification of patients with long QT syndrome type 3. ..
- Jansson K, Lynch J, Lepori Bui N, Czymmek K, Duncan R, Sikes R. Overexpression of the VSSC-associated CAM, ?-2, enhances LNCaP cell metastasis associated behavior. Prostate. 2012;72:1080-92 pubmed publisher..Functional overexpression of VSSC ?-subunits in PCa may be one mechanism leading to increased metastatic behavior while decreasing the ability to form localized tumor masses. ..
- Litt M, Luty J, Kwak M, Allen L, Magenis R, Mandel G. Localization of a human brain sodium channel gene (SCN2A) to chromosome 2. Genomics. 1989;5:204-8 pubmed..In situ hybridization to metaphase chromosomes confirms this assignment and indicates regional localization to 2q21-q33. The probe also reveals a frequent two-allele HaeIII RFLP. ..
- Denault D, Fejes Toth G, Naray Fejes Toth A. Aldosterone regulation of sodium channel gamma-subunit mRNA in cortical collecting duct cells. Am J Physiol. 1996;271:C423-8 pubmed..These results indicate that Na+ channel gamma-subunit mRNA levels are increased by aldosterone and that this increase is likely to be responsible, at least in part, for the aldosterone-induced Na+ current in the kidney...
- DiPetrillo K, Coutermarsh B, Soucy N, Hwa J, Gesek F. Tumor necrosis factor induces sodium retention in diabetic rats through sequential effects on distal tubule cells. Kidney Int. 2004;65:1676-83 pubmed..These findings are consistent with a sequential mechanism by which chronic and acute TNF actions at the distal tubule cellular level contribute to whole animal sodium retention during diabetes. ..
- Kim Y, Trussell L. Ion channels generating complex spikes in cartwheel cells of the dorsal cochlear nucleus. J Neurophysiol. 2007;97:1705-25 pubmed..Thus the diverse electrical behavior of cartwheel cells is determined by the interaction of a wide variety of ion channels with a prominent role played by Ca(2+). ..
- Cushman K, Marsh Haffner J, Adelman J, McCleskey E. A conformation change in the extracellular domain that accompanies desensitization of acid-sensing ion channel (ASIC) 3. J Gen Physiol. 2007;129:345-50 pubmed..Despite large effects on desensitization by mutations at positions 78 and 79-including a shift to 10-fold lower proton concentration with the E79A mutant-there are not significant effects on activation. ..
- Tan B, Pundi K, Van Norstrand D, Valdivia C, Tester D, Medeiros Domingo A, et al. Sudden infant death syndrome-associated mutations in the sodium channel beta subunits. Heart Rhythm. 2010;7:771-8 pubmed publisher..5 cardiac sodium channel. Recently, Na(V) beta subunits have been implicated in various cardiac arrhythmias. Thus, the 4 genes encoding Na(V) beta subunits represent plausible candidate genes for SIDS...
- Albrieux M, Platel J, Dupuis A, Villaz M, Moody W. Early expression of sodium channel transcripts and sodium current by cajal-retzius cells in the preplate of the embryonic mouse neocortex. J Neurosci. 2004;24:1719-25 pubmed..These results raise the possibility that populations of pioneer neurons of the PP, including Cajal-Retzius cells, gain neuronal physiological properties early in development via expression of the Na(v)1.3 (SCN3) Na channel isoform. ..
- Bartoo A, Sprunger L, Schneider D. Expression and distribution of TTX-sensitive sodium channel alpha subunits in the enteric nervous system. J Comp Neurol. 2005;486:117-31 pubmed..These data suggest that Na(v)1.1 may not be highly expressed in the ENS, but that Na(v)1.2, Na(v)1.3, and Na(v)1.6, and possibly Na(v)1.7, have broadly important and distinct functions in the ENS. ..
- Ahn M, Beacham D, Westenbroek R, Scheuer T, Catterall W. Regulation of Na(v)1.2 channels by brain-derived neurotrophic factor, TrkB, and associated Fyn kinase. J Neurosci. 2007;27:11533-42 pubmed..These results indicate that Fyn kinase is associated with sodium channels in brain neurons and can modulate Na(V)1.2 channels by tyrosine phosphorylation after activation of TrkB/p75 signaling by BDNF. ..
- Wu L, Yong S, Fan C, Ni Y, Yoo S, Zhang T, et al. Identification of a new co-factor, MOG1, required for the full function of cardiac sodium channel Nav 1.5. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:6968-78 pubmed publisher..This study further demonstrates the functional diversity of Nav1.5-binding proteins, which serve important functions for Nav1.5 under different cellular conditions. ..
- Statland J, Bundy B, Wang Y, Rayan D, Trivedi J, Sansone V, et al. Mexiletine for symptoms and signs of myotonia in nondystrophic myotonia: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2012;308:1357-65 pubmed publisher..Mexiletine-induced sodium channel blockade reduced myotonia in small studies; however, as is common in rare diseases, larger studies of safety and efficacy have not previously been considered feasible...
- Thompson A, Zakon H, Kirkpatrick M. Compensatory Drift and the Evolutionary Dynamics of Dosage-Sensitive Duplicate Genes. Genetics. 2016;202:765-74 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that functionally redundant paralogs still may undergo radical functional changes after a prolonged period of compensatory drift. ..
- Stern M, Kreber R, Ganetzky B. Dosage effects of a Drosophila sodium channel gene on behavior and axonal excitability. Genetics. 1990;124:133-43 pubmed..We conclude that the number of sodium channels present in at least some Drosophila neurons can be affected by changes in para+ gene dosage, and that the level of para+ expression can strongly influence neuronal excitability. ..
- Mello C, Draper B, Priess J. The maternal genes apx-1 and glp-1 and establishment of dorsal-ventral polarity in the early C. elegans embryo. Cell. 1994;77:95-106 pubmed..Our results suggest how interactions mediated by glp-1 and apx-1 contribute to the establishment of the dorsal-ventral axis in the early C. elegans embryo. ..
- Klyachko V, Ahern G, Jackson M. cGMP-mediated facilitation in nerve terminals by enhancement of the spike afterhyperpolarization. Neuron. 2001;31:1015-25 pubmed..Thus, the cGMP/nitric oxide cascade generates a short-term, use-dependent enhancement of release. ..
- Bourdelais A, Campbell S, Jacocks H, Naar J, Wright J, Carsi J, et al. Brevenal is a natural inhibitor of brevetoxin action in sodium channel receptor binding assays. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2004;24:553-63 pubmed..5. Brevenal may serve as a model compound for the development of therapeutics to prevent or reverse intoxication in red tide exposures. ..
- Zakon H, Lu Y, Zwickl D, Hillis D. Sodium channel genes and the evolution of diversity in communication signals of electric fishes: convergent molecular evolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:3675-80 pubmed..Thus, changes in the expression and sequence of the same gene are associated with the independent evolution of signal complexity...
- Yang Y, Ogawa Y, Hedstrom K, Rasband M. betaIV spectrin is recruited to axon initial segments and nodes of Ranvier by ankyrinG. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:509-19 pubmed..Finally, using adenovirus for transgene delivery into myelinated neurons, we demonstrate that betaIV spectrin recruitment to nodes of Ranvier also depends on binding to ankG. ..
- YONKERS M, Ribera A. Molecular components underlying nongenomic thyroid hormone signaling in embryonic zebrafish neurons. Neural Dev. 2009;4:20 pubmed publisher..6a. Our in vivo analyses identify molecules required for T4's rapid regulation of voltage-gated sodium current. ..
- Thackeray J, Ganetzky B. Developmentally regulated alternative splicing generates a complex array of Drosophila para sodium channel isoforms. J Neurosci. 1994;14:2569-78 pubmed..Although multiple sodium channel genes have already been described in both Drosophila and mammalian systems, this study provides a clear indication that sodium channel variability may be much greater than previously thought...
- Ji H, Benos D. Degenerin sites mediate proton activation of deltabetagamma-epithelial sodium channel. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:26939-47 pubmed..Proton-sensitivity of deltabetagamma-hENaC may be an important mechanism for integrating external ischemic signals in inflamed and hypoxic tissues. ..
- Veizis I, Cotton C. Abnormal EGF-dependent regulation of sodium absorption in ARPKD collecting duct cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2005;288:F474-82 pubmed..The results of these studies reveal that the mislocalized apical EGF receptors are functionally coupled to the ERK pathway and that abnormal EGF-dependent regulation of ENaC function and expression may contribute to PKD pathophysiology...
- Jacklet J, Grizzaffi J, Tieman D. Serotonin and cAMP induce excitatory modulation of a serotonergic neuron. J Neurobiol. 2006;66:499-510 pubmed..The outward current that remains when sodium and calcium currents are blocked is reduced by 5-HT. Thus, 5-HT enhances two different cation currents and reduces potassium currents. ..
- Li G, Meredith F, Rennie K. Development of K(+) and Na(+) conductances in rodent postnatal semicircular canal type I hair cells. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2010;298:R351-8 pubmed publisher..Understanding the ionic changes associated with hair cell maturation could help elucidate development and regeneration mechanisms in the inner ear. ..
- Corrow K, Girard B, Vizzard M. Expression and response of acid-sensing ion channels in urinary bladder to cyclophosphamide-induced cystitis. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;298:F1130-9 pubmed publisher..Future studies are necessary to determine ASIC isoform contributions to micturition reflexes in control and inflamed urinary bladder. ..