Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on signal transduction in Portugal
Topic: signal transduction
- Resende C, Regalo G, DurÃ£es C, Pinto M, Wen X, Figueiredo C, et al. Interleukin-1B signalling leads to increased survival of gastric carcinoma cells through a CREB-C/EBPÎ²-associated mechanism. Gastric Cancer. 2016;19:74-84 pubmed publisher..Our results may help inform new strategies for the prevention and treatment of GC, including the control of chronic inflammation. ..
- Sheeba C, Andrade R, Palmeirim I. Getting a handle on embryo limb development: Molecular interactions driving limb outgrowth and patterning. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2016;49:92-101 pubmed publisher..Herein, we summarize the current knowledge of the main signaling mechanisms governing vertebrate limb initiation, outgrowth, specification of limb segments and termination. ..
- Fortes A, Agudelo Romero P, Silva M, Ali K, Sousa L, Maltese F, et al. Transcript and metabolite analysis in Trincadeira cultivar reveals novel information regarding the dynamics of grape ripening. BMC Plant Biol. 2011;11:149 pubmed publisher..Some of these genes were annotated as receptors, transcription factors, and kinases and constitute good candidates for functional analysis in order to establish a model for ripening control of a non-climacteric fruit. ..
- Fragoso R, Igreja C, Clode N, Henriques A, Appleton C, Zhu Z, et al. VEGF signaling on hematopoietic precursors restricts B-lymphoid commitment in vitro and in vivo. Exp Hematol. 2008;36:1329-1336 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we suggest that VEGF signaling via FLT-1 on hematopoietic precursors may restrict lymphopoiesis. ..
- Sheeba C, Andrade R, Palmeirim I. Mechanisms of vertebrate embryo segmentation: Common themes in trunk and limb development. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2016;49:125-34 pubmed publisher..Finally, we have also discussed the most evident new avenues this exercise could open to the scientific community. ..
- Covas G, Marinho H, Cyrne L, Antunes F. Activation of Nrf2 by H2O2: de novo synthesis versus nuclear translocation. Methods Enzymol. 2013;528:157-71 pubmed publisher..This study illustrates the applicability of the steady-state delivery of H2O2 to uncover subtle regulatory effects elicited by H2O2 in narrow concentration and time ranges. ..
- Lumini Oliveira J, Magalhaes J, Pereira C, Moreira A, Oliveira P, Ascensao A. Endurance training reverts heart mitochondrial dysfunction, permeability transition and apoptotic signaling in long-term severe hyperglycemia. Mitochondrion. 2011;11:54-63 pubmed publisher..Endurance training reestablished heart mitochondrial respiratory dysfunction caused by long-term severe hyperglycemia and reduced the increased susceptibility to MPTP induction probably by modulation of MPTP regulatory proteins. ..
- Alves C, Carneiro F, Hoefler H, Becker K. Role of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition regulator Slug in primary human cancers. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2009;14:3035-50 pubmed..The mode of action, the signaling pathways involved in its regulation, and the interplay with other EMT regulators need to be addressed in future studies in order to fully understand Slug's role in tumor progression. ..
- Teixeira M, Mira N, Sá Correia I. A genome-wide perspective on the response and tolerance to food-relevant stresses in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2011;22:150-6 pubmed publisher..The extension of the data gathered in S. cerevisiae to food spoilage fungi is considered. The relevance of the different genome-wide approaches in this context is also discussed. ..
- Cardoso S. The mitochondrial cascade hypothesis for Parkinson's disease. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17:3390-7 pubmed..In this review we revisit mitochondrial key role and propose a hypothesis for PD, that allows the unification of both sporadic and familial PD forms. In light of this we also discuss new promising disease-modified therapies. ..
- Matos P, Jordan P. Expression of Rac1b stimulates NF-kappaB-mediated cell survival and G1/S progression. Exp Cell Res. 2005;305:292-9 pubmed..These data demonstrate that Rac1b is a highly active Rac1 variant that stimulates cell cycle progression and cell survival in pathways involving NF-kappaB. ..
- Liehl P, Zuzarte Luis V, Chan J, Zillinger T, Baptista F, Carapau D, et al. Host-cell sensors for Plasmodium activate innate immunity against liver-stage infection. Nat Med. 2014;20:47-53 pubmed publisher..Together, our results show that the liver has sensor mechanisms for Plasmodium that mediate a functional antiparasite response driven by type I IFN. ..
- Verissimo F, Silva E, Morris J, Pepperkok R, Jordan P. Protein kinase WNK3 increases cell survival in a caspase-3-dependent pathway. Oncogene. 2006;25:4172-82 pubmed..The mechanism of WNK3 action involves interaction with procaspase-3 and heat-shock protein 70. These results demonstrate a role for WNK3 in promoting cell survival and suggest a mechanism at the level of procaspase-3 activation. ..
- Feijó J, Costa S, Prado A, Becker J, Certal A. Signalling by tips. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2004;7:589-98 pubmed..In turn, changes in the dynamic properties of the cytoskeleton would define the basic polarity events needed to shape and modify tip-growing cells. ..
- Soares N, Wojtkowska J, Jackson P. A proteomic analysis of the wound response in Medicago leaves reveals the early activation of a ROS-sensitive signal pathway. J Proteomics. 2011;74:1411-20 pubmed publisher..This data provides an informed basis for further proteomic studies aimed at identifying early activated O(2)(-) signalling components in wounded Medicago...
- Farinha C, Matos P, Amaral M. Control of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator membrane trafficking: not just from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi. FEBS J. 2013;280:4396-406 pubmed publisher..Herein, we review the various checkpoints of the complex quality control along the secretory trafficking pathway and the associated pathways that are starting to be explored for the benefit of cystic fibrosis patients. ..
- Sheeba C, Andrade R, Palmeirim I. Limb patterning: from signaling gradients to molecular oscillations. J Mol Biol. 2014;426:780-4 pubmed publisher..We propose that the limb clock may allow temporal information to be decoded into positional information when the distance between opposing signaling gradients is no longer sufficient to provide distinct cell fate specification. ..
- Vilas Boas F, Fior R, Swedlow J, Storey K, Henrique D. A novel reporter of notch signalling indicates regulated and random Notch activation during vertebrate neurogenesis. BMC Biol. 2011;9:58 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the importance of single-cell analysis in the study of the complexity of Notch activity and provide new insights into the mechanisms underlying cell fate decisions in neural progenitors. ..
- Fernández B, Gaspar P, Bras Pereira C, Jezowska B, Rebelo S, Janody F. Actin-Capping Protein and the Hippo pathway regulate F-actin and tissue growth in Drosophila. Development. 2011;138:2337-46 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings indicate a novel interplay between Hippo pathway activity and actin filament dynamics that is essential for normal growth control. ..
- Silva A, Gírio A, Cebola I, Santos C, Antunes F, Barata J. Intracellular reactive oxygen species are essential for PI3K/Akt/mTOR-dependent IL-7-mediated viability of T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia cells. Leukemia. 2011;25:960-7 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data reveal the existence of a critical crosstalk between PI3K/Akt signaling pathway and ROS that is essential for IL-7-mediated T-ALL cell survival, and that may constitute a novel target for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Ramos C, Rocha S, Gaspar C, Henrique D. Two Notch ligands, Dll1 and Jag1, are differently restricted in their range of action to control neurogenesis in the mammalian spinal cord. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15515 pubmed publisher..However, Jag1 can only activate Notch signalling within the V1 and dI6 domains, whereas Dll1 can signal to neural progenitors both inside and outside its domains of expression. ..
- Cristo F, Inácio J, De Almeida S, Mendes P, Martins D, Maio J, et al. Functional study of DAND5 variant in patients with Congenital Heart Disease and laterality defects. BMC Med Genet. 2017;18:77 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our results provide new insight into the molecular mechanism of the laterality defects and related CHDs, priming for the first time DAND5 as one of multiple candidate determinants for CHDs in humans. ..
- Neto Silva R, de Beco S, Johnston L. Evidence for a growth-stabilizing regulatory feedback mechanism between Myc and Yorkie, the Drosophila homolog of Yap. Dev Cell. 2010;19:507-20 pubmed publisher..We propose that the codependent regulatory relationship functionally coordinates the cellular activities of Yki and Myc and provides a mechanism of growth control that regulates organ size and has broad implications for cancer. ..
- Pires de Miranda M, Alenquer M, Marques S, Rodrigues L, Lopes F, Bustelo X, et al. The Gammaherpesvirus m2 protein manipulates the Fyn/Vav pathway through a multidocking mechanism of assembly. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1654 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that the M2 phosphotyrosine motif and the previously described M2 proline rich region work in a concerted manner to manipulate the signaling machinery of the host B-cell...
- Silva P, Ul Rehman R, Rato C, Di Sansebastiano G, Malhó R. Asymmetric localization of Arabidopsis SYP124 syntaxin at the pollen tube apical and sub-apical zones is involved in tip growth. BMC Plant Biol. 2010;10:179 pubmed publisher..These data thus suggest that syntaxins alone do not provide the level of specificity that is required for apical growth and that additional signalling and functional mechanisms are required. ..
- Silva A, Jotta P, Silveira A, Ribeiro D, Brandalise S, Yunes J, et al. Regulation of PTEN by CK2 and Notch1 in primary T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: rationale for combined use of CK2- and gamma-secretase inhibitors. Haematologica. 2010;95:674-8 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that combined use of gamma-secretase and CK2 inhibitors may have therapeutic potential in T-ALL. ..
- Aranha M, Sola S, Low W, Steer C, Rodrigues C. Caspases and p53 modulate FOXO3A/Id1 signaling during mouse neural stem cell differentiation. J Cell Biochem. 2009;107:748-58 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, apoptosis-associated factors such as caspases and p53 temporally modulate FOXO3A/Id1 signaling and differentiation of mouse NSCs. ..
- Cavaleiro R, Brunn G, Albuquerque A, Victorino R, Platt J, Sousa A. Monocyte-mediated T cell suppression by HIV-2 envelope proteins. Eur J Immunol. 2007;37:3435-44 pubmed..We hypothesize that the HIV-2 envelope immunosuppressive properties limit bursts of T cell activation, thus reducing viremia and contributing to the slow rate of disease progression that characterizes HIV-2 disease...
- Matos T, Duarte C, Goncalo M, Lopes M. DNFB activates MAPKs and upregulates CD40 in skin-derived dendritic cells. J Dermatol Sci. 2005;39:113-23 pubmed..However, MAPKs do not play a major role in the induction of CD40, one of the phenotypic markers of DC maturation. ..
- Fior R, Henrique D. A novel hes5/hes6 circuitry of negative regulation controls Notch activity during neurogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;281:318-33 pubmed..We propose that the hes5/hes6 circuitry of negative cross-regulations is a conserved feature of the Notch pathway that underlies these cycles in neural progenitors. ..
- Prudêncio M, Rodrigues C, Hannus M, Martin C, Real E, Gonçalves L, et al. Kinome-wide RNAi screen implicates at least 5 host hepatocyte kinases in Plasmodium sporozoite infection. PLoS Pathog. 2008;4:e1000201 pubmed publisher..This study represents the first comprehensive, functional genomics-driven identification of novel host factors involved in Plasmodium sporozoite infection. ..
- Benedito R, Trindade A, Hirashima M, Henrique D, da Costa L, Rossant J, et al. Loss of Notch signalling induced by Dll4 causes arterial calibre reduction by increasing endothelial cell response to angiogenic stimuli. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:117 pubmed publisher..Together, these results strongly suggest that Notch signalling can increase arterial stability and calibre by decreasing the response of arterial endothelial cells to local gradients of pro-angiogenic factors like VEGF. ..
- Pascoal S, Esteves de Lima J, Leslie J, Hughes S, Saude L. Notch signalling is required for the formation of structurally stable muscle fibres in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68021 pubmed publisher..We propose that by controlling the differentiation of myogenic progenitor cells, Notch signalling might secure the formation of structurally stable muscle fibres in the zebrafish pectoral fin. ..
- van de Pavert S, Ferreira M, Domingues R, Ribeiro H, Molenaar R, Moreira Santos L, et al. Maternal retinoids control type 3 innate lymphoid cells and set the offspring immunity. Nature. 2014;508:123-7 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a molecular link between maternal nutrients and the formation of immune structures required for resistance to infection in the offspring. ..
- Rice G, del Toro Duany Y, Jenkinson E, Forte G, Anderson B, Ariaudo G, et al. Gain-of-function mutations in IFIH1 cause a spectrum of human disease phenotypes associated with upregulated type I interferon signaling. Nat Genet. 2014;46:503-509 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that aberrant sensing of nucleic acids can cause immune upregulation. ..
- Rodrigues A, Pignatelli D, Almeida H, Gouveia A. Melanocortin 5 receptor activates ERK1/2 through a PI3K-regulated signaling mechanism. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;303:74-81 pubmed publisher..The involvement of these MAPK suggests that MC5R could be implicated in cellular proliferation or differentiation mechanisms. ..
- Alexandre B, Charro N, Blonder J, Lopes C, Azevedo P, Bugalho de Almeida A, et al. Profiling the erythrocyte membrane proteome isolated from patients diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Proteomics. 2012;76 Spec No.:259-69 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Integrated omics...
- Sola S, Castro R, Laires P, Steer C, Rodrigues C. Tauroursodeoxycholic acid prevents amyloid-beta peptide-induced neuronal death via a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-dependent signaling pathway. Mol Med. 2003;9:226-34 pubmed..Together, these findings indicate that Abeta-induced apoptosis of cortical neurons proceeds through a Bax mitochondrial pathway. Further, the PI3K signaling cascade plays a role in regulating the anti-apoptotic effects of TUDCA. ..
- Carmo A, Castro M, Arosa F. CD2 and CD3 associate independently with CD5 and differentially regulate signaling through CD5 in Jurkat T cells. J Immunol. 1999;163:4238-45 pubmed..The modulation of CD5 phosphorylation may thus represent a level of regulation controlled by CD2 in signal transduction mechanisms in human T lymphocytes. ..
- Duarte A, Hirashima M, Benedito R, Trindade A, Diniz P, Bekman E, et al. Dosage-sensitive requirement for mouse Dll4 in artery development. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2474-8 pubmed..This implicates Dll4 as the specific mammalian endothelial ligand for autocrine endothelial Notch signaling, and suggests that Dll4 may be a suitable target for intervention in arterial angiogenesis. ..
- Jaleco A, Neves H, Hooijberg E, Gameiro P, Clode N, Haury M, et al. Differential effects of Notch ligands Delta-1 and Jagged-1 in human lymphoid differentiation. J Exp Med. 2001;194:991-1002 pubmed..Our results thus indicate that distinct Notch ligands can mediate differential effects of Notch signaling and provide a useful system to further address cell-fate decision processes in lymphopoiesis. ..
- LourenÃ§o C, Ledo A, Barbosa R, Laranjinha J. Neurovascular uncoupling in the triple transgenic model of Alzheimer's disease: Impaired cerebral blood flow response to neuronal-derived nitric oxide signaling. Exp Neurol. 2017;291:36-43 pubmed publisher..Overall, this work supports cerebrovascular dysfunction as a fundamental underlying process in AD pathology. ..
- Rashed M, Kanlikilicer P, Rodriguez Aguayo C, Pichler M, Bayraktar R, Bayraktar E, et al. Exosomal miR-940 maintains SRC-mediated oncogenic activity in cancer cells: a possible role for exosomal disposal of tumor suppressor miRNAs. Oncotarget. 2017;8:20145-20164 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results suggest that OC cells secrete the tumor-suppressive miR-940 into the extracellular environment via exosomes, to maintain their invasiveness and tumorigenic phenotype. ..
- Marques F, Bicho M. Activation of a NADH dehydrogenase in the human erythrocyte by beta-adrenergic agonists: possible involvement of a G protein in enzyme activation. Biol Signals. 1997;6:52-61 pubmed
- Leal E, Aveleira C, Castilho A, Serra A, Baptista F, Hosoya K, et al. High glucose and oxidative/nitrosative stress conditions induce apoptosis in retinal endothelial cells by a caspase-independent pathway. Exp Eye Res. 2009;88:983-91 pubmed publisher..NOC-18 and H(2)O(2) also activate a caspase-independent apoptotic pathway, although H(2)O(2) can also induce caspase-mediated apoptosis. ..
- Almeida A, Arroz Madeira S, Fonseca Pereira D, Ribeiro H, Lasrado R, Pachnis V, et al. RET/GFR? signals are dispensable for thymic T cell development in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52949 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data demonstrate that RET/GFR? signals are dispensable for thymic T cell development in vivo, indicating that pharmacological targeting of RET signalling in tumours is not likely to result in T cell production failure. ..
- Ribot J, deBarros A, Mancio Silva L, Pamplona A, Silva Santos B. B7-CD28 costimulatory signals control the survival and proliferation of murine and human ?? T cells via IL-2 production. J Immunol. 2012;189:1202-8 pubmed publisher..Our data collectively show that CD28 signals are required for IL-2-mediated survival and proliferation of both CD27(+) and CD27(-) ?? T cell subsets, thus providing new mechanistic insight for their modulation in disease models. ..
- Gonçalves V, Matos P, Jordan P. Antagonistic SR proteins regulate alternative splicing of tumor-related Rac1b downstream of the PI3-kinase and Wnt pathways. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:3696-707 pubmed publisher..Together, these data reveal that signaling pathways act in concert to target independent splicing factors and achieve the correct combinatorial code to regulate alternative splicing of the small GTPase Rac1. ..
- Fernandes A, Brites D. Contribution of inflammatory processes to nerve cell toxicity by bilirubin and efficacy of potential therapeutic agents. Curr Pharm Des. 2009;15:2915-26 pubmed..Novel pharmacological strategies may reduce the incidence of UCB encephalopathy and prevent minor cerebral lesions that may result in mental illness...
- Carvalho L, Vilela B, Mullineaux P, Am ncio S. Comparative transcriptomic profiling of Vitis vinifera under high light using a custom-made array and the Affymetrix GeneChip. Mol Plant. 2011;4:1038-51 pubmed publisher..The success of LSCA also proves the feasibility of a custom-made qRT-PCR approach, particularly for species for which no GeneChip is available and for researchers dealing with a specific and focused problem...
- Vilas Boas F, Henrique D. HES6-1 and HES6-2 function through different mechanisms during neuronal differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15459 pubmed publisher..Together, the two cHES6 proteins progressively shut down the Notch-mediated progenitor program and ensure that neuronal differentiation can proceed. ..
- Azevedo R, Soares M, Barata J, Tendeiro R, Serra Caetano A, Victorino R, et al. IL-7 sustains CD31 expression in human naive CD4+ T cells and preferentially expands the CD31+ subset in a PI3K-dependent manner. Blood. 2009;113:2999-3007 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that during adulthood CD31(+) naive CD4(+) T cells are maintained by IL-7 and that IL-7-based therapies may exert a preferential effect on this population. ..
- Fior R, Henrique D. "Notch-Off": a perspective on the termination of Notch signalling. Int J Dev Biol. 2009;53:1379-84 pubmed publisher..We further highlight the importance of properly terminating Notch activity during cell fate decisions mediated by this pathway. ..
- Quintas C, Fraga S, Goncalves J, Queiroz G. The P2Y(1) and P2Y(12) receptors mediate autoinhibition of transmitter release in sympathetic innervated tissues. Neurochem Int. 2009;55:505-13 pubmed publisher..P2Y(1) and P2Y(12) receptors are coupled to G(i/o)-proteins and operate as autoreceptors in the vas deferens where they interact with alpha(2)-adrenoceptors on the modulation of noradrenaline release. ..
- Pita J, Banito A, Cavaco B, Leite V. Gene expression profiling associated with the progression to poorly differentiated thyroid carcinomas. Br J Cancer. 2009;101:1782-91 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that fvPTC are possible precursors of PDTC. Furthermore, UHRF1 and ITIH5 have a potential therapeutic/prognostic value for aggressive thyroid tumours. ..
- Prado A, Colaço R, Moreno N, Silva A, Feijó J. Targeting of pollen tubes to ovules is dependent on nitric oxide (NO) signaling. Mol Plant. 2008;1:703-14 pubmed publisher..Of special relevance, NO seems to directly affect the targeting of pollen tubes to the ovule's micropyle by modulating the action of its diffusible factors. ..
- Lopes S, Lourenço R, Pacheco L, Moreno N, Kreiling J, Saude L. Notch signalling regulates left-right asymmetry through ciliary length control. Development. 2010;137:3625-32 pubmed publisher..Notch signalling brings together ciliary length control and fluid flow hydrodynamics with transcriptional activation of laterality genes. In addition, our deltaD mutant analysis discloses an uncoupling between gut and heart laterality. ..
- Machado N, Baldeiras I, Pereira G, Pereira S, Oliveira P. Sub-chronic administration of doxorubicin to Wistar rats results in oxidative stress and unaltered apoptotic signaling in the lung. Chem Biol Interact. 2010;188:478-86 pubmed publisher..The results obtained indicate for the first time that lungs from DOX-treated rats appear to be susceptible to increased lipid peroxidation, which can explain some cases of DOX-induced lung toxicity. ..
- Franco C, Gerhardt H. Morph or Move? How Distinct Endothelial Cell Responses to Blood Flow Shape Vascular Networks. Dev Cell. 2017;41:574-576 pubmed publisher..In two recent papers in Nature Cell Biology, Jin et al. (2017) and Sugden et al. (2017) show that endoglin alters endothelial cell shape or behavior in response to blood flow, thus regulating vessel structure. ..