Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on signal transduction in Germany
Topic: signal transduction
Publications720 found, 100 shown here
- Halatsch M, Löw S, Hielscher T, Schmidt U, Unterberg A, Vougioukas V. Epidermal growth factor receptor pathway gene expressions and biological response of glioblastoma multiforme cell lines to erlotinib. Anticancer Res. 2008;28:3725-8 pubmed..Five genes within the EGFR signaling pathway may modulate GBM response to erlotinib, which further emphasizes the importance of this pathway for the biology of GBM. ..
- Filosa A, Paixão S, Honsek S, Carmona M, Becker L, Feddersen B, et al. Neuron-glia communication via EphA4/ephrin-A3 modulates LTP through glial glutamate transport. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:1285-92 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that EphA4/ephrin-A3 signaling is a critical mechanism for astrocytes to regulate synaptic function and plasticity. ..
- Heida N, Leifheit Nestler M, Schroeter M, Muller J, Cheng I, Henkel S, et al. Leptin enhances the potency of circulating angiogenic cells via src kinase and integrin (alpha)vbeta5: implications for angiogenesis in human obesity. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:200-6 pubmed publisher..To investigate the capacity of the adipokine leptin to promote angiogenesis by modulating the function of circulating angiogenic cells (CACs)...
- Stern M, Böger N, Eickhoff R, Lorbeer C, Kerssen U, Ziegler M, et al. Development of nitrergic neurons in the nervous system of the locust embryo. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:1157-75 pubmed publisher..For the CNS, histochemical markers for NOS do not provide conclusive evidence for a developmental role of this enzyme. ..
- Beck M, Komis G, Muller J, Menzel D, Samaj J. Arabidopsis homologs of nucleus- and phragmoplast-localized kinase 2 and 3 and mitogen-activated protein kinase 4 are essential for microtubule organization. Plant Cell. 2010;22:755-71 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that ANP2/ANP3, MPK4, and the microtubule-associated protein MAP65-1, a putative target of MPK4 signaling, are all essential for the proper organization of cortical microtubules in Arabidopsis epidermal cells. ..
- Mayer C, Acosta Martinez M, Dubois S, Wolfe A, Radovick S, Boehm U, et al. Timing and completion of puberty in female mice depend on estrogen receptor alpha-signaling in kisspeptin neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:22693-8 pubmed publisher..We show that the temporal coordination of juvenile restraint and subsequent pubertal activation is likely mediated by ER? in two separate kisspeptin neuronal populations in the hypothalamus. ..
- Werner A, Witte C. The biochemistry of nitrogen mobilization: purine ring catabolism. Trends Plant Sci. 2011;16:381-7 pubmed publisher..Conserved alternative splicing mediating the peroxisomal as well as cytosolic localization of allantoin synthase potentially links purine ring catabolism to brassinosteroid signaling. ..
- Schnoor M, Lai F, Zarbock A, Kläver R, Polaschegg C, Schulte D, et al. Cortactin deficiency is associated with reduced neutrophil recruitment but increased vascular permeability in vivo. J Exp Med. 2011;208:1721-35 pubmed publisher..Our results represent the first physiological evidence that cortactin is crucial for orchestrating the molecular events leading to proper endothelial barrier function and leukocyte recruitment in vivo. ..
- Mapesa J, Waldschmitt N, Schmoeller I, Blume C, Hofmann T, Mahungu S, et al. Catechols in caffeic acid phenethyl ester are essential for inhibition of TNF-mediated IP-10 expression through NF-?B-dependent but HO-1- and p38-independent mechanisms in mouse intestinal epithelial cells. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011;55:1850-61 pubmed publisher..This study reveals the structure-activity effects and anti-inflammatory potential of CAPE in the intestinal epithelium. ..
- Seeliger M, Brombas A, Weiler R, Humphries P, Knop G, Tanimoto N, et al. Modulation of rod photoreceptor output by HCN1 channels is essential for regular mesopic cone vision. Nat Commun. 2011;2:532 pubmed publisher..By specific genetic and pharmacological ablation of key signal processing components, regular cone signalling can be restored, thereby identifying the sites involved in functional rod-cone interactions. ..
- Mohamed B, Barakat A, Zimmermann W, Bittner R, Mühlfeld C, Hünlich M, et al. Targeted disruption of Hspa4 gene leads to cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2012;53:459-68 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our in vivo data demonstrate that Hspa4 gene ablation results in cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis, possibly, through its role in protein quality control mechanism. ..
- Seitz C, Hugle M, Cristofanon S, Tchoghandjian A, Fulda S. The dual PI3K/mTOR inhibitor NVP-BEZ235 and chloroquine synergize to trigger apoptosis via mitochondrial-lysosomal cross-talk. Int J Cancer. 2013;132:2682-93 pubmed publisher..These findings have important implications for the rational development of PI3K/mTOR inhibitor-based combination therapies. ..
- Peddibhotla S, Brinkmann B, Kummer D, Tuncay H, Nakayama M, Adams R, et al. Tetraspanin CD9 links junctional adhesion molecule-A to ?v?3 integrin to mediate basic fibroblast growth factor-specific angiogenic signaling. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:933-44 pubmed publisher..The data also provide new mechanistic insights into the cooperativity between bFGF and ?v?3 integrin during angiogenic signaling. ..
- Scholz H, Sadlowski E, Klaes A, Klämbt C. Control of midline glia development in the embryonic Drosophila CNS. Mech Dev. 1997;64:137-51 pubmed..In the midline glia pointedP2 in turn activates the transcription of argos, which encodes a diffusible negative regulator of EGF-receptor signalling. ..
- Kessler A, Uphues I, Ouwens D, Till M, Eckel J. Diversification of cardiac insulin signaling involves the p85 alpha/beta subunits of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001;280:E65-74 pubmed..Furthermore, multiple defects of PI 3-kinase activation, involving both the p85 alpha and the p85 beta adaptor subunits, may contribute to cardiac insulin resistance...
- Kohler A, Schwindling S, Conrath U. Benzothiadiazole-induced priming for potentiated responses to pathogen infection, wounding, and infiltration of water into leaves requires the NPR1/NIM1 gene in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2002;128:1046-56 pubmed..In sum, the results suggest that priming is an important cellular mechanism in acquired disease resistance of plants that requires the nonexpresser of PR genes 1/noninducible immunity 1 gene. ..
- Bakkers J, Hild M, Kramer C, Furutani Seiki M, Hammerschmidt M. Zebrafish DeltaNp63 is a direct target of Bmp signaling and encodes a transcriptional repressor blocking neural specification in the ventral ectoderm. Dev Cell. 2002;2:617-27 pubmed..Together, DeltaNp63 fulfills the criteria to be the neural repressor postulated by the "neural default model." ..
- Schneider C, Hübinger G. Pleiotropic signal transduction mediated by human CD30: a member of the tumor necrosis factor receptor (TNFR) family. Leuk Lymphoma. 2002;43:1355-66 pubmed..Some data indicate the opposite signaling of CD30 in HD or ALCL cells, while other information point to pleiotropic signaling pathways in both malignancies. The pro and contra of this controversy is discussed in this review. ..
- Mooren F, Hlouschek V, Finkes T, Turi S, Weber I, Singh J, et al. Early changes in pancreatic acinar cell calcium signaling after pancreatic duct obstruction. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:9361-9 pubmed
- Kuschel S, Ruther U, Theil T. A disrupted balance between Bmp/Wnt and Fgf signaling underlies the ventralization of the Gli3 mutant telencephalon. Dev Biol. 2003;260:484-95 pubmed
- Kubitz R, Saha N, Kühlkamp T, Dutta S, vom Dahl S, Wettstein M, et al. Ca2+-dependent protein kinase C isoforms induce cholestasis in rat liver. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:10323-30 pubmed..The data identify Ca(2+)-dependent PKC isoforms as inducers of cholestasis. This is mainly due to inhibition of taurocholate excretion involving transporter retrieval from the canalicular membrane. ..
- Hofmann M, Schuster Gossler K, Watabe Rudolph M, Aulehla A, Herrmann B, Gossler A. WNT signaling, in synergy with T/TBX6, controls Notch signaling by regulating Dll1 expression in the presomitic mesoderm of mouse embryos. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2712-7 pubmed..Our results indicate that WNT activity, in synergy with TBX6, regulates Dll1 transcription and thereby controls Notch activity, somite formation, and patterning. ..
- Batistic O, Sorek N, Schültke S, Yalovsky S, Kudla J. Dual fatty acyl modification determines the localization and plasma membrane targeting of CBL/CIPK Ca2+ signaling complexes in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2008;20:1346-62 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate the importance of S-acylation for regulating the spatial accuracy of Ca2+-decoding proteins and suggest a novel mechanism that enables the functional specificity of calcium sensor/kinase complexes. ..
- Vock C, Gleissner M, Klapper M, Döring F. Oleate regulates genes controlled by signaling pathways of mitogen-activated protein kinase, insulin, and hypoxia. Nutr Res. 2008;28:681-9 pubmed publisher..In sum, a physiologic oleate concentration modulates genes expression in a very sensitive way as 14 genes were regulated. ..
- Schlesner M, Miller A, Streif S, Staudinger W, Müller J, Scheffer B, et al. Identification of Archaea-specific chemotaxis proteins which interact with the flagellar apparatus. BMC Microbiol. 2009;9:56 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results demonstrate that, in the archaeal domain, previously unrecognized archaea-specific Che proteins are essential for relaying taxis signaling to the flagellar apparatus. ..
- Blumbach K, Zweers M, Brunner G, Peters A, Schmitz M, Schulz J, et al. Defective granulation tissue formation in mice with specific ablation of integrin-linked kinase in fibroblasts - role of TGF?1 levels and RhoA activity. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:3872-83 pubmed publisher..We conclude that, in fibroblasts, ILK is crucial for limiting RhoA activity, thus promoting TGF?1 production, which is essential for dermal repair following injury...
- Guarani V, Deflorian G, Franco C, Kruger M, Phng L, Bentley K, et al. Acetylation-dependent regulation of endothelial Notch signalling by the SIRT1 deacetylase. Nature. 2011;473:234-8 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify reversible acetylation of the NICD as a molecular mechanism to adapt the dynamics of Notch signalling, and indicate that SIRT1 acts as rheostat to fine-tune endothelial Notch responses. ..
- Lange J, Yafai Y, Noack A, Yang X, Munk A, Krohn S, et al. The axon guidance molecule Netrin-4 is expressed by Müller cells and contributes to angiogenesis in the retina. Glia. 2012;60:1567-78 pubmed publisher..This may be a novel pathway of Müller cell-mediated control of retinal angiogenesis, particularly under hypoxic/ischemic conditions when the cells upregulate Netrin-4 expression. ..
- Hage T, Sebald W, Reinemer P. Crystal structure of the interleukin-4/receptor alpha chain complex reveals a mosaic binding interface. Cell. 1999;97:271-81 pubmed..Novel insights on ligand binding in the cytokine receptor family and a paradigm for receptors of IL-2, IL-7, IL-9, and IL-15, which all utilize gamma c, are provided. ..
- Postigo A, Calella A, Fritzsch B, Knipper M, Katz D, Eilers A, et al. Distinct requirements for TrkB and TrkC signaling in target innervation by sensory neurons. Genes Dev. 2002;16:633-45 pubmed..Our findings show that although TrkB and TrkC signals mediating survival are largely similar, TrkB and TrkC signals required for maintenance of target innervation in vivo are regulated by distinct mechanisms. ..
- Golks A, Brenner D, Krammer P, Lavrik I. The c-FLIP-NH2 terminus (p22-FLIP) induces NF-kappaB activation. J Exp Med. 2006;203:1295-305 pubmed..Thus, in addition to inhibiting apoptosis by binding to the death-inducing signaling complex, our data demonstrate a novel mechanism by which c-FLIP controls NF-kappaB activation and life/death decisions in lymphocytes and DCs. ..
- Farhat K, Riekenberg S, Heine H, Debarry J, Lang R, Mages J, et al. Heterodimerization of TLR2 with TLR1 or TLR6 expands the ligand spectrum but does not lead to differential signaling. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;83:692-701 pubmed
- Depping R, Steinhoff A, Schindler S, Friedrich B, Fagerlund R, Metzen E, et al. Nuclear translocation of hypoxia-inducible factors (HIFs): involvement of the classical importin alpha/beta pathway. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1783:394-404 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the supposed N-terminal NLS is not effective. Our findings provide new insight into the mechanism of the regulation of nuclear transport of hypoxia-inducible factors. ..
- David R, Brenner C, Stieber J, Schwarz F, Brunner S, Vollmer M, et al. MesP1 drives vertebrate cardiovascular differentiation through Dkk-1-mediated blockade of Wnt-signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:338-45 pubmed publisher..This may also provide a tool to elicit cardiac transdifferentiation in native human adult stem cells. ..
- Bhatia H, Candelario Jalil E, de Oliveira A, Olajide O, Martínez Sánchez G, Fiebich B. Mangiferin inhibits cyclooxygenase-2 expression and prostaglandin E2 production in activated rat microglial cells. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;477:253-8 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that modulation of microglial activation might contribute to the mechanism of cerebral protection by mangiferin. ..
- Bock C, Toan N, Koeberlein B, Chin R, Zentgraf H, Kandolf R, et al. Subcellular mislocalization of mutant hepatitis B X proteins contributes to modulation of STAT/SOCS signaling in hepatocellular carcinoma. Intervirology. 2008;51:432-43 pubmed publisher..This observation points to an active role of HBx mutants in hepatocarcinogenesis that involves dysregulation of STAT/SOCS signaling...
- Sánchez Lasheras C, Könner A, Bruning J. Integrative neurobiology of energy homeostasis-neurocircuits, signals and mediators. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2010;31:4-15 pubmed publisher..The integrated view, how these signals interact and the definition of functional neurocircuits in control of energy homeostasis, will ultimately help to develop new therapeutic interventions within the current obesity epidemic. ..
- Matthess Y, Raab M, Sanhaji M, Lavrik I, Strebhardt K. Cdk1/cyclin B1 controls Fas-mediated apoptosis by regulating caspase-8 activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:5726-40 pubmed publisher..Finally, this new mechanism may also contribute to tumorigenesis. ..
- Hellal F, Hurtado A, Ruschel J, FLYNN K, Laskowski C, Umlauf M, et al. Microtubule stabilization reduces scarring and causes axon regeneration after spinal cord injury. Science. 2011;331:928-31 pubmed publisher..Thus, microtubule stabilization reduces fibrotic scarring and enhances the capacity of axons to grow...
- Hadian K, Griesbach R, Dornauer S, Wanger T, Nagel D, Metlitzky M, et al. NF-?B essential modulator (NEMO) interaction with linear and lys-63 ubiquitin chains contributes to NF-?B activation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:26107-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, in vivo NEMO interaction with linear and Lys-63 ubiquitin chains is required for optimal IKK activation, suggesting that both type of chains are cooperating in triggering canonical NF-?B signaling. ..
- Weidinger C, Krause K, Mueller K, Klagge A, Fuhrer D. FOXO3 is inhibited by oncogenic PI3K/Akt signaling but can be reactivated by the NSAID sulindac sulfide. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96:E1361-71 pubmed publisher..Thus, SS might represent an attractive pharmacological tool for targeting thyroid neoplasia with aberrant PI3K/Akt/FOXO3 signaling. ..
- Plomann M, Lange R, Vopper G, Cremer H, Heinlein U, Scheff S, et al. PACSIN, a brain protein that is upregulated upon differentiation into neuronal cells. Eur J Biochem. 1998;256:201-11 pubmed..Here we demonstrate that the gene encodes a phosphoprotein, referred to as PACSIN, with a restricted spatial and temporal expression pattern. ..
- Hollnagel A, Oehlmann V, Heymer J, Ruther U, Nordheim A. Id genes are direct targets of bone morphogenetic protein induction in embryonic stem cells. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:19838-45 pubmed..We therefore propose that the Msx and Id genes are direct target genes of embryonic BMP4 signaling in vivo. ..
- Reinehr R, Becker S, Höngen A, Haussinger D. The Src family kinase Yes triggers hyperosmotic activation of the epidermal growth factor receptor and CD95. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:23977-87 pubmed..However, the functional relevance of hyperosmolarity-induced Fyn and Lck activation remains to be elucidated. ..
- Skusa A, Ruegg A, Köhler J. Extraction of biological interaction networks from scientific literature. Brief Bioinform. 2005;6:263-76 pubmed..This paper summarises the most important steps in network extraction and reviews common approaches and solutions for the extraction of biological networks from scientific literature. ..
- Løvdok L, Kollmann M, Sourjik V. Co-expression of signaling proteins improves robustness of the bacterial chemotaxis pathway. J Biotechnol. 2007;129:173-80 pubmed..Although the design features that are responsible for this higher robustness still remain to be understood, our results stress the importance of a robust design of both native and synthetic signaling networks. ..
- Lohwasser C, Neureiter D, Popov Y, Bauer M, Schuppan D. Role of the receptor for advanced glycation end products in hepatic fibrosis. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:5789-98 pubmed..Despite upregulation of RAGE in activated HSC, RAGE stimulation by AGE does not alter their fibrogenic activation. Therefore, RAGE does not contribute directly to hepatic fibrogenesis. ..
- Schneeweis C, Grafe M, Bungenstock A, Spencer Hänsch C, Fleck E, Goetze S. Chronic CRP-exposure inhibits VEGF-induced endothelial cell migration. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2010;17:203-12 pubmed
- Salbach J, Kliemt S, Rauner M, Rachner T, Goettsch C, Kalkhof S, et al. The effect of the degree of sulfation of glycosaminoglycans on osteoclast function and signaling pathways. Biomaterials. 2012;33:8418-29 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, highly sulfated GAGs significantly inhibit various functions of bone-resorbing osteoclasts. Whether these properties locally contribute to improved fracture or bone defect healing needs to be validated in vivo. ..
- Subramanian H, Zahedi R, Sickmann A, Walter U, Gambaryan S. Phosphorylation of CalDAG-GEFI by protein kinase A prevents Rap1b activation. J Thromb Haemost. 2013;11:1574-82 pubmed publisher..Our study strongly suggests that phosphorylation of CalDAG-GEFI is a critical mechanism by which PKA controls Rap1b-dependent platelet aggregation. ..
- Wlodarczyk A, Gnanasekaran T, Nielsen A, Zulu N, Mellor S, Luckner M, et al. Metabolic engineering of light-driven cytochrome P450 dependent pathways into Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. Metab Eng. 2016;33:1-11 pubmed publisher..All the metabolites were found to be excreted to the growth media facilitating product isolation. ..
- Dhayade S, Kaesler S, Sinnberg T, Dobrowinski H, Peters S, Naumann U, et al. Sildenafil Potentiates a cGMP-Dependent Pathway to Promote Melanoma Growth. Cell Rep. 2016;14:2599-610 pubmed publisher..Sildenafil treatment further increases intracellular cGMP concentrations, potentiating activation of this pathway. Collectively, our data identify this cGMP-cGKI pathway as the link between sildenafil usage and increased melanoma risk. ..
- Weber L, Al Refae K, Ebbert J, Jagers P, Altmuller J, Becker C, et al. Activation of odorant receptor in colorectal cancer cells leads to inhibition of cell proliferation and apoptosis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0172491 pubmed publisher..This study emphasizes the importance of ectopically expressed ORs in the therapy for several diseases. The findings provide the basis for alternative treatments of colorectal cancer. ..
- Papadopoulos D, Scheiner Bobis G. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate augments blood-brain barrier and tight junction protein expression in brain endothelial cells. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:1382-1392 pubmed publisher..The current findings might help in developing new strategies for the prevention or treatment of neurological disorders associated with BBB defects. ..
- Walzog B, Seifert R, Zakrzewicz A, Gaehtgens P, Ley K. Cross-linking of CD18 in human neutrophils induces an increase of intracellular free Ca2+, exocytosis of azurophilic granules, quantitative up-regulation of CD18, shedding of L-selectin, and actin polymerization. J Leukoc Biol. 1994;56:625-35 pubmed..We show that engagement of beta 2 integrins provides an important stimulatory signal to PMNs inducing degranulation, modulation of L-selectin, and cytoskeletal changes. ..
- Müssig C, Fischer S, Altmann T. Brassinosteroid-regulated gene expression. Plant Physiol. 2002;129:1241-51 pubmed..Expression profile analysis of above ground part of plants was performed by means of Affymetrix Arabidopsis Genome Arrays. ..
- Eckle T, Füllbier L, Wehrmann M, Khoury J, Mittelbronn M, Ibla J, et al. Identification of ectonucleotidases CD39 and CD73 in innate protection during acute lung injury. J Immunol. 2007;178:8127-37 pubmed..Taken together, these data reveal a previously unrecognized role for CD39 and CD73 in lung protection and suggest treatment with their soluble compounds as a therapeutic strategy for noninfectious ALI. ..
- Voss A, Gescher K, Hensel A, Nacken W, Kerkhoff C. Double-stranded RNA induces MMP-9 gene expression in HaCaT keratinocytes by tumor necrosis factor-?. Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets. 2011;10:171-9 pubmed..During the antiviral response MMP-9 expression may be of importance for the tissue injury phase. ..
- Brähler S, Ising C, Hagmann H, Rasmus M, Hoehne M, Kurschat C, et al. Intrinsic proinflammatory signaling in podocytes contributes to podocyte damage and prolonged proteinuria. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2012;303:F1473-85 pubmed publisher..Based on these data, it may be speculated that immunosuppressive drugs may not only target professional immune cells but also podocytes directly to convey their beneficial effects in various types of glomerulonephritis. ..
- Niederberger E, Moser C, Kynast K, Geisslinger G. The non-canonical I?B kinases IKK? and TBK1 as potential targets for the development of novel therapeutic drugs. Curr Mol Med. 2013;13:1089-97 pubmed..In this review, we summarize the roles of IKK? and TBK1 in different diseases and outline therapeutic options for modulation of these kinases. ..
- Eberhardt M, Lai X, Tomar N, Gupta S, Schmeck B, Steinkasserer A, et al. Third-Kind Encounters in Biomedicine: Immunology Meets Mathematics and Informatics to Become Quantitative and Predictive. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1386:135-79 pubmed publisher..In this chapter, we support the idea that the analysis of the immune system demands the use of systems-level approaches to ensure the success in the search for more effective and personalized immune-based therapies. ..
- Lehr S, Kotzka J, Avci H, Sickmann A, Meyer H, Herkner A, et al. Identification of major ERK-related phosphorylation sites in Gab1. Biochemistry. 2004;43:12133-40 pubmed..These data demonstrate that ERK1/2 modulate insulin action via Gab1 by targeting serine and threonine residues beside YXXM motifs. Accordingly, insulin signaling is blocked at the level of PI3K. ..
- Kurylas A, Ott S, Schachtner J, Elphick M, Williams L, Homberg U. Localization of nitric oxide synthase in the central complex and surrounding midbrain neuropils of the locust Schistocerca gregaria. J Comp Neurol. 2005;484:206-23 pubmed..The results provide new insights into the neurochemical architecture of the central complex and suggest a prominent role for NO signaling in this brain area. ..
- Benten W, Lieberherr M, Stamm O, Wrehlke C, Guo Z, Wunderlich F. Testosterone signaling through internalizable surface receptors in androgen receptor-free macrophages. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:3113-23 pubmed..Collectively, our data provide evidence for the existence of G-protein-coupled, agonist-sequestrable receptors for testosterone in plasma membranes, which initiate a transcription-independent signaling pathway of testosterone. ..
- Bohm M, Raghunath M, Sunderkotter C, Schiller M, Ständer S, Brzoska T, et al. Collagen metabolism is a novel target of the neuropeptide alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:6959-66 pubmed..Melanocortins such as alpha-MSH may therefore represent a novel class of modulators with potential usefulness for the treatment of fibrotic disorders. ..
- Kowanetz K, Crosetto N, Haglund K, Schmidt M, Heldin C, Dikic I. Suppressors of T-cell receptor signaling Sts-1 and Sts-2 bind to Cbl and inhibit endocytosis of receptor tyrosine kinases. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:32786-95 pubmed..We suggest that Sts-1 and Sts-2 represent a novel class of Ub-binding proteins that regulate RTK endocytosis and control growth factor-induced cellular functions. ..
- Smesny S, Rosburg T, Riemann S, Baur K, Rudolph N, Berger G, et al. Impaired niacin sensitivity in acute first-episode but not in multi-episode schizophrenia. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2005;72:393-402 pubmed..Longitudinal studies have to rule out possible long-term effects of neuroleptic medication...
- Gressner A, Weiskirchen R. Modern pathogenetic concepts of liver fibrosis suggest stellate cells and TGF-beta as major players and therapeutic targets. J Cell Mol Med. 2006;10:76-99 pubmed
- Barrionuevo F, Taketo M, Scherer G, Kispert A. Sox9 is required for notochord maintenance in mice. Dev Biol. 2006;295:128-40 pubmed..Thus, Sox9 is required for axial skeletogenesis by regulating notochord survival and chondrogenesis. ..
- Wirtenberger M, Tchatchou S, Hemminki K, Schmutzhard J, Sutter C, Schmutzler R, et al. Associations of genetic variants in the estrogen receptor coactivators PPARGC1A, PPARGC1B and EP300 with familial breast cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2006;27:2201-8 pubmed..Owing to their impact on estrogen signaling, these polymorphisms might also influence adjuvant anti-estrogen therapy, using agents such as tamoxifen and raloxifen, and outcome of breast cancer patients. ..
- Brigelius Flohe R, Banning A. Part of the series: from dietary antioxidants to regulators in cellular signaling and gene regulation. Sulforaphane and selenium, partners in adaptive response and prevention of cancer. Free Radic Res. 2006;40:775-87 pubmed..The anticarcinogenic role of GI-GPx is evident from enhanced gastrointestinal tumor formation in gpx2/gpx1 double KO mice. ..
- Viemann D, Barczyk K, Vogl T, Fischer U, Sunderkotter C, Schulze Osthoff K, et al. MRP8/MRP14 impairs endothelial integrity and induces a caspase-dependent and -independent cell death program. Blood. 2007;109:2453-60 pubmed..Excessive release of cytotoxic MRP8/MRP14 by activated phagocytes might therefore present an important molecular pathomechanism contributing to endothelial damage during vasculitis and other inflammatory diseases. ..
- Herget M, Oancea G, Schrodt S, Karas M, Tampe R, Abele R. Mechanism of substrate sensing and signal transmission within an ABC transporter: use of a Trojan horse strategy. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:3871-80 pubmed..This allocrite sensor may be similarly positioned in other members of the ABC exporter family...
- Brandt K, Singh P, Bulfone Paus S, Rückert R. Interleukin-21: a new modulator of immunity, infection, and cancer. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2007;18:223-32 pubmed..This review intends to give the reader an overview of the recent findings concerning the biology of IL-21 and its physiological role in immunity, infection, and cancer. ..
- Plum L, Rother E, Munzberg H, Wunderlich F, Morgan D, Hampel B, et al. Enhanced leptin-stimulated Pi3k activation in the CNS promotes white adipose tissue transdifferentiation. Cell Metab. 2007;6:431-45 pubmed..These data provide direct genetic evidence that leptin-stimulated Pi3k signaling in the CNS regulates energy expenditure via activation of SNA to perigonadal WAT leading to BAT-like differentiation of WAT. ..
- Tkachuk N, Kiyan J, Tkachuk S, Kiyan R, Shushakova N, Haller H, et al. Urokinase induces survival or pro-apoptotic signals in human mesangial cells depending on the apoptotic stimulus. Biochem J. 2008;415:265-73 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we provide evidence that, in MCs, the uPA/uPAR system regulates survival/apoptosis processes in a stimulus-specific fashion via a mitochondria-dependent mechanism and that BAD protein serves as a downstream molecule. ..
- Rabenhorst U, Beinoraviciute Kellner R, Brezniceanu M, Joos S, Devens F, Lichter P, et al. Overexpression of the far upstream element binding protein 1 in hepatocellular carcinoma is required for tumor growth. Hepatology. 2009;50:1121-9 pubmed publisher..Our data establish FBP1 as an important oncoprotein overexpressed in HCC that induces tumor propagation through direct or indirect repression of cell cycle inhibitors and proapoptotic target genes. ..
- Müller M, Gagiannis S, Nawroth P, Brune M, Schilling T. Activation of the receptor for parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone related protein induces apoptosis via the extrinsic and intrinsic signaling pathway. Int J Mol Med. 2009;24:373-80 pubmed..Thus, beyond its importance in development and differentiation, we describe an important role for the PTH/PTHrP receptor system in apoptosis of differentiating/embryonic cells. ..
- Scholtka B, Schneider M, Melcher R, Katzenberger T, Friedrich D, Berghof Jäger K, et al. A gene marker panel covering the Wnt and the Ras-Raf-MEK-MAPK signalling pathways allows to detect gene mutations in 80% of early (UICC I) colon cancer stages in humans. Cancer Epidemiol. 2009;33:123-9 pubmed publisher..When compared with previously published gene marker panels the 4-gene marker panel used in the present study shows an excellent performance, allowing to detect genetic alterations in 80-90% of human sporadic CRC samples analyzed. ..
- Schwer C, Mutschler M, Stoll P, Goebel U, Humar M, Hoetzel A, et al. Carbon monoxide releasing molecule-2 inhibits pancreatic stellate cell proliferation by activating p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase/heme oxygenase-1 signaling. Mol Pharmacol. 2010;77:660-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that CORM-2 inhibits PSC proliferation by activation of the p38/HO-1 pathway. These findings may indicate a therapeutic potential of CO carriers in the treatment of pancreatic fibrosis. ..
- Neumann M, Klar S, Wilisch Neumann A, Hollenbach E, Kavuri S, Leverkus M, et al. Glycogen synthase kinase-3? is a crucial mediator of signal-induced RelB degradation. Oncogene. 2011;30:2485-92 pubmed publisher..The serine residue 552 is a target of GSK-3?-mediated phosphorylation in vitro and in vivo. We conclude that GSK-3? is a crucial regulator of RelB degradation, stressing the relevant linkage between the NF-?B system and GSK-3?. ..
- Hauck S, Hofmaier F, Dietter J, Swadzba M, Blindert M, Amann B, et al. Label-free LC-MSMS analysis of vitreous from autoimmune uveitis reveals a significant decrease in secreted Wnt signalling inhibitors DKK3 and SFRP2. J Proteomics. 2012;75:4545-54 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, retinal expression levels and patterns of DKK3 change in response to ERU. Since many other regulated proteins identified here are associated with RMG cells, these cells qualify as the prime responders to autoimmune triggers...
- Schütz A, Hennes T, Jumpertz S, Fuchs S, Bernhagen J. Role of CSN5/JAB1 in Wnt/?-catenin activation in colorectal cancer cells. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:1645-51 pubmed publisher..Together, these data implicate the CSN in the pathogenesis of CRC via regulation of the Wnt/?-catenin pathway ..
- Van Roey K, Dinkel H, Weatheritt R, Gibson T, Davey N. The switches.ELM resource: a compendium of conditional regulatory interaction interfaces. Sci Signal. 2013;6:rs7 pubmed publisher..We foresee switches.ELM complementing available resources to extend our knowledge of the molecular mechanisms underlying cell signaling. ..