Experts and Doctors on sertraline in United States
Locale: United States
- Sonne S, Back S, Diaz Zuniga C, Randall C, Brady K. Gender differences in individuals with comorbid alcohol dependence and post-traumatic stress disorder. Am J Addict. 2003;12:412-23 pubmed..PTSD more often preceded alcohol dependence in women than in men. The results illustrate a number of gender differences that may shed light on etiologic models of comorbid alcohol dependence and PTSD. ..
- Mavissakalian M. Imipramine vs. sertraline in panic disorder: 24-week treatment completers. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2003;15:171-80 pubmed..The more rapid improvement with imipramine needs replication but, tentatively, it may be attributed to the greater motivational effects toward action observed with noradrenergic or dual action antidepressants compared to SSRIs. ..
- Wisner K, Perel J, Peindl K, Hanusa B, Piontek C, Findling R. Prevention of postpartum depression: a pilot randomized clinical trial. Am J Psychiatry. 2004;161:1290-2 pubmed..The time to recurrence was significantly longer in the sertraline-treated women than in the placebo-treated women. Sertraline conferred preventive efficacy for postpartum-onset major depression beyond that of placebo. ..
- Wang J, Zhu H, Gibson B, Markowitz J, Donovan J, DeVane C. Sertraline and its metabolite desmethylsertraline, but not bupropion or its three major metabolites, have high affinity for P-glycoprotein. Biol Pharm Bull. 2008;31:231-4 pubmed..These findings may help to explain observed drug-drug interactions among antidepressants. ..
- Storch E, Lehmkuhl H, Geffken G, Touchton A, Murphy T. Aripiprazole augmentation of incomplete treatment response in an adolescent male with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Depress Anxiety. 2008;25:172-4 pubmed..This case suggests that aripiprazole may have utility as an augmenting agent of CBT in adolescents with OCD and underscores the need for conducting controlled studies to test this hypothesis. ..
- Nguyen F, Pauly R, Okun M, Fernandez H. Punding as a complication of brain stem stroke?: report of a case. Stroke. 2007;38:1390-2 pubmed..Moreover, improvement of his behavior was noted with a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, further questioning the dopaminergic hypothesis of punding. ..
- Hamer A, Hartung D, Haxby D, Ketchum K, Pollack D. Initial results of the use of prescription order change forms to achieve dose form optimization (consolidation and tablet splitting) of SSRI antidepressants in a state Medicaid program. J Manag Care Pharm. 2006;12:449-56 pubmed
- Doogan D, Langdon C. A double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison of sertraline and dothiepin in the treatment of major depression in general practice. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 1994;9:95-100 pubmed..Both sertraline and dothiepin were generally well tolerated; the most frequent side effects with sertraline were nausea, dizziness and headache; with dothiepin the most frequent side effects were dry mouth, somnolence and headache. ..
- Bergman H, Kline A, Feeny N, Zoellner L. Examining PTSD treatment choice among individuals with subthreshold PTSD. Behav Res Ther. 2015;73:33-41 pubmed publisher..1%) for community members. Findings underscore the necessity of further examining subthreshold PTSD, which may hold important clinical implications for treatment processes and outcomes. ..
- Wang J, Devane C, Gibson B, Donovan J, Markowitz J, Zhu H. Population pharmacokinetic analysis of drug-drug interactions among risperidone, bupropion, and sertraline in CF1 mice. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2006;183:490-9 pubmed..The mechanisms and consequences of these interactions require further study in humans to establish clinical relevance. ..
- Hedayati S, Daniel D, Cohen S, Comstock B, Cukor D, Diaz Linhart Y, et al. Rationale and design of A Trial of Sertraline vs. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for End-stage Renal Disease Patients with Depression (ASCEND). Contemp Clin Trials. 2016;47:1-11 pubmed publisher..We discuss the rationale and design of ASCEND, the first large-scale randomized controlled trial evaluating efficacy of non-pharmacologic vs. pharmacologic treatment of depression in HD patients for patient-centered outcomes. ..
- Ghai K, Zelinka C, Fischer A. Serotonin released from amacrine neurons is scavenged and degraded in bipolar neurons in the retina. J Neurochem. 2009;111:1-14 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the serotonin-accumulating bipolar neurons perform glial functions in the retina by actively transporting and degrading serotonin that is synthesized in neighboring amacrine cells. ..
- Rendas Baum R, Yang M, Gricar J, Wallenstein G. Cost-effectiveness analysis of treatments for premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Appl Health Econ Health Policy. 2010;8:129-40 pubmed publisher..These analyses suggest that initiating therapy with DRSP/EE may be a cost-effective option in the treatment of PMDD. ..
- Kranzler H, Mueller T, Cornelius J, Pettinati H, Moak D, Martin P, et al. Sertraline treatment of co-occurring alcohol dependence and major depression. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2006;26:13-20 pubmed..The high rate of response among placebo-treated patients may help to explain these findings. Further research is needed to identify efficacious treatments for patients with these commonly co-occurring disorders. ..
- Ahrold T, Meston C. Effects of SNS activation on SSRI-induced sexual side effects differ by SSRI. J Sex Marital Ther. 2009;35:311-9 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for treating certain SSRI-induced sexual side effects. ..
- Zilcha Mano S, Dinger U, McCarthy K, Barrett M, Barber J. Changes in well-being and quality of life in a randomized trial comparing dynamic psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy for major depressive disorder. J Affect Disord. 2014;152-154:538-42 pubmed publisher..No significant differences were found between the three conditions examined in this study. The current study highlights the role of well-being in predicting subsequent symptomatic change. ..
- Wang H, Goehring A, Wang K, Penmatsa A, Ressler R, Gouaux E. Structural basis for action by diverse antidepressants on biogenic amine transporters. Nature. 2013;503:141-5 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies define common and simple principles for the action of SSRIs, SNRIs and TCAs on BATs. ..
- Vichier Guerre C, Parker M, Pomerantz Y, Finnell R, Cabrera R. Impact of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors on neural crest stem cell formation. Toxicol Lett. 2017;281:20-25 pubmed publisher..This evidence suggests paroxetine and sertraline alter normal NCSC behavior and may thereby disrupt cardiac and craniofacial development. ..
- Kranzler H, Armeli S, Tennen H, Covault J, Feinn R, Arias A, et al. A double-blind, randomized trial of sertraline for alcohol dependence: moderation by age of onset [corrected] and 5-hydroxytryptamine transporter-linked promoter region genotype. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2011;31:22-30 pubmed publisher..Because AD is common, particularly in medical settings, and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are widely prescribed by practitioners, these findings have potential public health significance and warrant further evaluation...
- Yeung C, Fujioka Y, Hachad H, Levy R, Isoherranen N. Are circulating metabolites important in drug-drug interactions?: Quantitative analysis of risk prediction and inhibitory potency. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2011;89:105-13 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, cytochrome P450 (CYP) inhibitors often have circulating metabolites that contribute to clinically observed CYP inhibition. ..
- Rainey M, Korostyshevsky D, Lee S, Perlstein E. The antidepressant sertraline targets intracellular vesiculogenic membranes in yeast. Genetics. 2010;185:1221-33 pubmed publisher..Overall, our study identifies two evolutionarily conserved membrane--active processes-vacuolar acidification and clathrin-coat formation--as modulators of sertraline's action at membranes...
- Novack T, Banos J, Brunner R, Renfroe S, Meythaler J. Impact of early administration of sertraline on depressive symptoms in the first year after traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma. 2009;26:1921-8 pubmed publisher..There is no basis from this study to assume that sertraline administered early in recovery after TBI, when neurotransmitter functioning is often altered, has ongoing effects on the serotonin system after sertraline is discontinued...
- Forester B, Harper D, Jensen J, Ravichandran C, Jordan B, Renshaw P, et al. 31Phosphorus magnetic resonance spectroscopy study of tissue specific changes in high energy phosphates before and after sertraline treatment of geriatric depression. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2009;24:788-97 pubmed publisher
- Logsdon M, Wisner K, Hanusa B. Does maternal role functioning improve with antidepressant treatment in women with postpartum depression?. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2009;18:85-90 pubmed publisher..Results of the study can help women and their healthcare providers to weigh the benefits of short-term antidepressant treatment in the postpartum period. Future studies should consider outcomes related to a longer duration of treatment. ..
- Luiselli J, Blew P, Keane J, Thibadeau S, Holzman T. Pharmacotherapy for severe aggression in a child with autism: "open label" evaluation of multiple medications on response frequency and intensity of behavioral intervention. J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry. 2000;31:219-30 pubmed..These findings add to the clinical literature describing effective treatment of serious behavior disorders in persons with developmental disabilities using antidepressant medication...
- Wisner K, Perel J, Blumer J. Serum sertraline and N-desmethylsertraline levels in breast-feeding mother-infant pairs. Am J Psychiatry. 1998;155:690-2 pubmed..The authors' goal was to study the serum sertraline levels of breast-feeding mothers and their infants...