Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on seizures in Japan
- Imamura H, Matsumoto R, Takaya S, Nakagawa T, Shimotake A, Kikuchi T, et al. Network specific change in white matter integrity in mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Res. 2016;120:65-72 pubmed publisher..The change in white matter integrity occurs specifically in the pathways that connect the focus and remote functional deficit zones in patients with MTLE, i.e., the pathways that are assume to be associated with seizure propagation. ..
- Fukuda M, Masuda H, Honma J, Kameyama S, Tanaka R. Ictal SPECT analyzed by three-dimensional stereotactic surface projection in frontal lobe epilepsy patients. Epilepsy Res. 2006;68:95-102 pubmed..We caution that rapid seizure spread may result occasionally in areas of hyperperfusion extending to adjacent or remote regions. ..
- Sasayama D, Shimojima Y, Gono T, Kaneko K, Matsuda M, Ikeda S. Henoch-Schönlein purpura nephritis complicated by reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy syndrome. Clin Rheumatol. 2007;26:1761-3 pubmed..In such cases intensive treatment should be performed as soon as possible to avoid neurological sequelae. ..
- Hidaka N, Suemaru K, Takechi K, Li B, Araki H. Inhibitory effects of valproate on impairment of Y-maze alternation behavior induced by repeated electroconvulsive seizures and c-Fos protein levels in rat brains. Acta Med Okayama. 2011;65:269-77 pubmed..These findings suggest that the inhibitory effect of valproate on repeated ECS-induced impairment of spontaneous alternation behavior may be linked to the prefrontal cortex. ..
- Masumizu T, Noda Y, Mori A, Packer L. Electron spin resonance assay of ascorbyl radical generation in mouse hippocampal slices during and after kainate-induced seizures. Brain Res Brain Res Protoc. 2005;16:65-9 pubmed..Antiepileptic zonisamide inhibited the generation of ascorbyl radical accompanying the seizures. ..
- Fujii T, Ito Y, Takahashi S, Shimono K, Natsume J, Yanagihara K, et al. Outcome of ketogenic diets in GLUT1 deficiency syndrome in Japan: A nationwide survey. Brain Dev. 2016;38:628-37 pubmed publisher..The efficacy on intellectual development was equivocal. The modified Atkins diet was more commonly used for GLUT1DS in this study, and its ketogenicity was equivalent to the classic KD. ..
- Hiroyama S, Horiuchi M, Abe K, Itoh T. Involvement of dopaminergic system in stress-induced anticonvulsant effect in juvenile mice. Brain Res. 2012;1473:104-13 pubmed publisher..These results indicated a critical role of brain monoamine in establishing the convulsion threshold. Also, DA system in the mPFC may play an important role in the anticonvulsant effects of repeated swim stress in juvenile mice. ..
- Igarashi A, Okumura A, Shimojima K, Abe S, Ikeno M, Shimizu T, et al. Focal seizures and epileptic spasms in a child with Down syndrome from a family with a PRRT2 mutation. Brain Dev. 2016;38:597-600 pubmed publisher..841T>C mutation in the present patient, her father, and in her younger brother. We hypothesized that the focal seizures in our patient were caused by the PRRT2 mutation, whereas the epileptic spasms were attributable to trisomy 21. ..
- Tada H, Takanashi J, Barkovich A, Oba H, Maeda M, Tsukahara H, et al. Clinically mild encephalitis/encephalopathy with a reversible splenial lesion. Neurology. 2004;63:1854-8 pubmed..The clinical features among the affected patients were nearly identical, consisting of relatively mild CNS manifestations and complete recovery within 1 month. ..
- Inoue Y, Mihara T, Tottori T, Seino M. Electrical stimulation of the contralateral mesial temporal structure induces an ipsilateral seizure pattern in mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsia. 1999;40:1602-9 pubmed..However, according to our preliminary results, if contralateral stimulation elicits a habitual seizure in the ipsilateral temporal lobe, it might be considered additional confirmatory evidence of seizure lateralization. ..
- Arita K, Ikawa F, Kurisu K, Sumida M, Harada K, Uozumi T, et al. The relationship between magnetic resonance imaging findings and clinical manifestations of hypothalamic hamartoma. J Neurosurg. 1999;91:212-20 pubmed..Classification of hypothalamic hamartomas into these two categories based on MR findings resulted in a clear correlation between symptoms and the subsequent clinical course. ..
- Wada Y, Hasegawa H, Nakamura M, Yamaguchi N. Suppressive effects of L-5-hydroxytryptophan in a feline model of photosensitive epilepsy. Brain Res. 1991;552:8-12 pubmed..Serotonergic mechanisms may play an important role in epileptic photosensitivity; the 5-HTP suppressive effect on photosensitivity is at least partly due to reduced neuronal activity at the level of the LGN via serotonergic inhibition. ..
- Ikeda H, Imai K, Ikeda H, Shigematsu H, Takahashi Y, Inoue Y, et al. Characteristic phasic evolution of convulsive seizure in PCDH19-related epilepsy. Epileptic Disord. 2016;18:26-33 pubmed publisher..Published with video sequences online]. ..
- Yoshida M, Nakanishi T. [Inhibitory effects of L-threo-DOPS on electroshock seizure in mice]. No To Shinkei. 1989;41:567-73 pubmed..It was suggested that L-DOPS would be a useful substance for the investigation on a role of NE in experimental epilepsy and could be used clinically as an adjunct drug for generalized tonic-clonic convulsions...
- Shi X, Tomonoh Y, Wang W, Ishii A, Higurashi N, Kurahashi H, et al. Efficacy of antiepileptic drugs for the treatment of Dravet syndrome with different genotypes. Brain Dev. 2016;38:40-6 pubmed publisher..Bromide is most effective and is a well-tolerated drug among DS patients, especially among SCN1A-negative patients. Carbamazepine should be avoided in patients with SCN1A mutations. ..
- Hashimoto Torii K, Torii M, Fujimoto M, Nakai A, El Fatimy R, Mezger V, et al. Roles of heat shock factor 1 in neuronal response to fetal environmental risks and its relevance to brain disorders. Neuron. 2014;82:560-72 pubmed publisher..We propose that HSF1 plays a crucial role in the response of brain cells to prenatal environmental insults and may be a key component in the pathogenesis of late-onset neuropsychiatric disorders. ..
- Kaushik M, Aritake K, Kamauchi S, Hayaishi O, Huang Z, Lazarus M, et al. Prostaglandin D(2) is crucial for seizure suppression and postictal sleep. Exp Neurol. 2014;253:82-90 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that PGD2 produced by H-PGDS and acting on DP1R is essential for seizure suppression and that the L-PGDS/PGD2/DP1R system regulates sleep that follows seizures. ..
- Hamasaki T, Yamada K, Kuratsu J. Seizures as a presenting symptom in neurosurgical patients: a retrospective single-institution analysis. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2013;115:2336-40 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that seizures are a common feature in patients with slow-growing and frontal intra-parenchymal lesions. ..
- Nonoda Y, Saito Y, Nagai S, Sasaki M, Iwasaki T, Matsumoto N, et al. Progressive diffuse brain atrophy in West syndrome with marked hypomyelination due to SPTAN1 gene mutation. Brain Dev. 2013;35:280-3 pubmed publisher..These findings contribute to the characterization of this recently established entity and facilitate the identification of further patients. ..
- Sugata S, Hanaya R, Kumafuji K, Tokudome M, Serikawa T, Kurisu K, et al. Neuroprotective effect of levetiracetam on hippocampal sclerosis-like change in spontaneously epileptic rats. Brain Res Bull. 2011;86:36-41 pubmed publisher..The present results suggest that prophylactic treatment with LEV in preseizure-manifesting SERs inhibits hippocampal sclerosis-like neuronal degeneration and/or regeneration...
- Kawano H, Hamaguchi E, Kawahito S, Tsutsumi Y, Tanaka K, Kitahata H, et al. Anaesthesia for a patient with paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis with ovarian teratoma: relationship to anti-N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antibodies. Anaesthesia. 2011;66:515-8 pubmed publisher..Anaesthetic management was successful with no complications but the case acts as focus of discussion for the potential interaction of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors and anaesthetic sensitivity...
- Kamata R, Shiraishi F, Takahashi S, Shimizu A, Shiraishi H. Reevaluation of the developmental toxicity of dieldrin by the use of fertilized Japanese quail eggs. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2010;152:84-90 pubmed publisher..The results indicated that not only does the neurotoxicity of dieldrin bring early death, but its effects on reproductive and hepatic functions (detected as gene transcriptional changes in hatchlings) persist harmfully after maturity. ..
- Yamada K, Ji J, Yuan H, Miki T, Sato S, Horimoto N, et al. Protective role of ATP-sensitive potassium channels in hypoxia-induced generalized seizure. Science. 2001;292:1543-6 pubmed..K(ATP) channels exert a depressant effect on SNr neuronal activity during hypoxia and may be involved in the nigral protection mechanism against generalized seizures. ..
- Yamamoto H, Mohanan P. Melatonin attenuates brain mitochondria DNA damage induced by potassium cyanide in vivo and in vitro. Toxicology. 2002;179:29-36 pubmed..Hence, the present study concluded that melatonin protects against DNA damage induced by the *OH produced by cyanide or hydrogen peroxide...
- Hirose S, Zenri F, Akiyoshi H, Fukuma G, Iwata H, Inoue T, et al. A novel mutation of KCNQ3 (c.925T-->C) in a Japanese family with benign familial neonatal convulsions. Ann Neurol. 2000;47:822-6 pubmed..925T-->C replaced Trp309, a conserved residue within the P-loop of the KCNQ potassium channel family that holds the channel pore open, with an Arg (W309R). We report c.925T-->C as the second mutation of KCNQ3 responsible for BFNC2. ..
- Irifune M, Sato T, Kamata Y, Nishikawa T, Dohi T, Kawahara M. Evidence for GABA(A) receptor agonistic properties of ketamine: convulsive and anesthetic behavioral models in mice. Anesth Analg. 2000;91:230-6 pubmed..The effects of ketamine on the gamma-aminobutyric acid(A) receptors appear to correlate with its anesthetic actions. ..
- Sakurai M, Kanazawa I. Positive symptoms in multiple sclerosis: their treatment with sodium channel blockers, lidocaine and mexiletine. J Neurol Sci. 1999;162:162-8 pubmed..Na channel blockers have a dual effect on symptoms in MS, depending on whether symptoms are positive or negative. The mechanism that produces positive symptoms and the effects of the drugs on these symptoms are discussed...
- Shimizu Nishikawa K, Kajiwara K, Kimura M, Katsuki M, Sugaya E. Cloning and expression of SEZ-6, a brain-specific and seizure-related cDNA. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1995;28:201-10 pubmed..Based on these findings, it is evident that SEZ-6 encodes a novel type of protein which may be related to seizure. ..
- Otsuki T, Kim H, Luan G, Inoue Y, Baba H, Oguni H, et al. Surgical versus medical treatment for children with epileptic encephalopathy in infancy and early childhood: Results of an international multicenter cohort study in Far-East Asia (the FACE study). Brain Dev. 2016;38:449-60 pubmed publisher..The present observations may facilitate the identification of infants and young children with epileptic encephalopathy who could benefit from surgery. ..
- Matsu ura T, Nakadai T, Oda Y, Nagasu T, Mikoshiba K, Tamura T. Seizure-mediated accumulation of the beta subunit of Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II in nuclei of mouse brain cells. Neurosci Lett. 2002;322:149-52 pubmed..CaMKIIbeta7 protein is thought to be accumulated in the nuclei of brain cells by PTZ-mediated seizure via some cellular mechanisms other than transcriptional and post-transcriptional regulation. ..
- Tsuda H, Ito M, Oguro K, Mutoh K, Shiraishi H, Shirasaka Y, et al. Involvement of the noradrenergic system in the seizures of epileptic El mice. Eur J Pharmacol. 1990;176:321-30 pubmed..These findings suggest that up-regulated alpha 1- and alpha 2-adrenoceptors are involved in the inhibition of the seizures of El mice...
- Mutoh F. Effect of postnatal anoxia on seizure susceptibility in rats: bicuculline-induced seizures and pretreatment with iproniazid. Life Sci. 1991;48:2563-9 pubmed..The present study suggests that the enhanced seizure susceptibility of adult rats with postnatal anoxia involves brain monoaminergic system. ..
- Nakayama J, Fu Y, Clark A, Nakahara S, Hamano K, Iwasaki N, et al. A nonsense mutation of the MASS1 gene in a family with febrile and afebrile seizures. Ann Neurol. 2002;52:654-7 pubmed..Our results suggest that a loss-of-function mutation in MASS1 might be responsible for the seizure phenotypes, though it is not likely that MASS1 contributed to the cause of febrile seizures in most of our families. ..