Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on schizosaccharomyces pombe proteins in Spain
Topic: schizosaccharomyces pombe proteins
- de Castro E, Soriano I, Marín L, Serrano R, Quintales L, Antequera F. Nucleosomal organization of replication origins and meiotic recombination hotspots in fission yeast. EMBO J. 2012;31:124-37 pubmed publisher..The organization of ORIs and of DSBs regions in S. pombe reveals similarities and differences relative to Saccharomyces cerevisiae. ..
- Calonge T, Nakano K, Arellano M, Arai R, Katayama S, Toda T, et al. Schizosaccharomyces pombe rho2p GTPase regulates cell wall alpha-glucan biosynthesis through the protein kinase pck2p. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:4393-401 pubmed..Taken together, all of these results indicate the presence of a signaling pathway regulating alpha-glucan biosynthesis in which the Rho2p GTPase activates Pck2p, and this kinase in turn controls Mok1p. ..
- Cortés J, Carnero E, Ishiguro J, Sanchez Y, Duran A, Ribas J. The novel fission yeast (1,3)beta-D-glucan synthase catalytic subunit Bgs4p is essential during both cytokinesis and polarized growth. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:157-74 pubmed..All these data show for the first time an essential role for a Bgs subunit in the synthesis of a (1,3)beta-D-glucan necessary to preserve cell integrity when cell wall synthesis or repair are needed. ..
- Martin Cuadrado A, Encinar del Dedo J, de Medina Redondo M, Fontaine T, del Rey F, Latge J, et al. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe endo-1,3-beta-glucanase Eng1 contains a novel carbohydrate binding module required for septum localization. Mol Microbiol. 2008;69:188-200 pubmed publisher..Thus, the targeting of Eng1 to the primary septum requires not only trans-factors (septins and the exocyst complex) but also a cis-element localized to the C-terminus of the protein. ..
- Martins I, Cortés J, Munoz J, Moreno M, Ramos M, Clemente Ramos J, et al. Differential activities of three families of specific beta(1,3)glucan synthase inhibitors in wild-type and resistant strains of fission yeast. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:3484-96 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of the mechanism of action of the antifungals available should help to improve their activity and to identify new antifungal targets. ..
- Chica N, RozalÃ©n A, PÃ©rez Hidalgo L, Rubio A, Novak B, Moreno S. Nutritional Control of Cell Size by the Greatwall-Endosulfine-PP2AÂ·B55 Pathway. Curr Biol. 2016;26:319-30 pubmed publisher..Given the conservation of this pathway, it is reasonable to assume that this mechanism operates in higher eukaryotes, as well. ..
- Bonfils S, Rozalén A, Smith G, Moreno S, Martín Castellanos C. Functional interactions of Rec24, the fission yeast ortholog of mouse Mei4, with the meiotic recombination-initiation complex. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1328-38 pubmed publisher..Based on the recent report of Rec24 and Rec7 conservation, interaction between Rec24 and Rec7 might be widely conserved in DSB formation. ..
- Santos B, Martin Cuadrado A, Vazquez de Aldana C, del Rey F, Perez P. Rho4 GTPase is involved in secretion of glucanases during fission yeast cytokinesis. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:1639-45 pubmed..These results provide evidence that Rho4p is involved in the regulation of Eng1p and Agn1p secretion during cytokinesis. ..
- Soto T, Franco A, Padmanabhan S, Vicente Soler J, Cansado J, Gacto M. Molecular interaction of neutral trehalase with other enzymes of trehalose metabolism in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:3847-55 pubmed..This study provides the first evidence for the participation of the catabolic enzyme trehalase in the structural framework of a regulatory macromolecular complex containing trehalose-6-P synthase in the fission yeast. ..
- Estravís M, Rincon S, Santos B, Perez P. Cdc42 regulates multiple membrane traffic events in fission yeast. Traffic. 2011;12:1744-58 pubmed publisher..All together, we propose that Cdc42 and the scaffold Pob1 are required for membrane trafficking and fusion, contributing to polarized secretion, endosome recycling, vacuole formation and growth. ..
- Garcia I, Jimenez D, Martin V, Duran A, Sanchez Y. The alpha-glucanase Agn1p is required for cell separation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Biol Cell. 2005;97:569-76 pubmed..pombe. Agn1p could be involved in the cleavage of the cylinder of the old wall that surrounds the primary septum, a region rich in alpha-glucans. ..
- Garcia P, Tajadura V, Garcia I, Sanchez Y. Rgf1p is a specific Rho1-GEF that coordinates cell polarization with cell wall biogenesis in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:1620-31 pubmed..Our results suggest that Rgf1p probably activates the Rho functions necessary for coordinating actin deposition with cell wall biosynthesis during bipolar growth, allowing the cells to remodel their wall without risk of rupture. ..
- Martin Cuadrado A, Dueñas E, Sipiczki M, Vazquez de Aldana C, del Rey F. The endo-beta-1,3-glucanase eng1p is required for dissolution of the primary septum during cell separation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:1689-98 pubmed..Thus, ace2p may regulate the expression of the eng1+ gene together with that of other genes whose products are also involved in cell separation. ..
- Perez Hidalgo L, Moreno S, San Segundo P. Regulation of meiotic progression by the meiosis-specific checkpoint kinase Mek1 in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:259-71 pubmed..Thus, we provide the first evidence of a connection between an effector kinase of the meiotic recombination checkpoint and a crucial cell cycle regulator and present a model for the operation of this meiotic checkpoint in fission yeast. ..
- de Medina Redondo M, Arnaiz Pita Y, Clavaud C, Fontaine T, del Rey F, Latge J, et al. ?(1,3)-glucanosyl-transferase activity is essential for cell wall integrity and viability of Schizosaccharomyces pombe. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14046 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ?(1,3)-glucanosyl-transferase activity is essential for viability in fission yeast, being required to maintain cell integrity during vegetative growth. ..
- Prieto I, Pezzi N, Buesa J, Kremer L, Barthelemy I, Carreiro C, et al. STAG2 and Rad21 mammalian mitotic cohesins are implicated in meiosis. EMBO Rep. 2002;3:543-50 pubmed..Immunofluorescence results suggest that a cohesin complex containing Rad21 and STAG2 cooperates with a STAG3-specific complex to maintain sister chromatid cohesion during the diplotene stage of meiosis. ..
- Arellano M, Duran A, Perez P. Localisation of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe rho1p GTPase and its involvement in the organisation of the actin cytoskeleton. J Cell Sci. 1997;110 ( Pt 20):2547-55 pubmed..We conclude that rho1p localisation is restricted to growth areas and regulated during the cell cycle and that rho1p is involved in cell wall growth and actin cytoskeleton organisation in S. pombe. ..
- Valbuena N, Moreno S. TOR and PKA pathways synergize at the level of the Ste11 transcription factor to prevent mating and meiosis in fission yeast. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11514 pubmed publisher..We conclude that both the PKA and the TOR pathways inhibit Ste11 nuclear accumulation to repress Ste11-dependent gene expression. However, the PKA pathway plays a quantitatively more important role than the TOR pathway in this process. ..
- Alvarez B, Moreno S. Fission yeast Tor2 promotes cell growth and represses cell differentiation. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4475-85 pubmed..Thus, our data reveal a unique regulatory function of the Tor pathway - ensuring that growth and cell differentiation become mutually exclusive and that the choice between them depends on environmental conditions. ..
- Jara M, Vivancos A, Calvo I, Moldón A, Sansó M, Hidalgo E. The peroxiredoxin Tpx1 is essential as a H2O2 scavenger during aerobic growth in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2288-95 pubmed..C169S, lacking the resolving cysteine, can sustain aerobic growth, and we show that small reductants can modulate the activity of the mutant protein in vitro, probably by supplying a thiol group to substitute for cysteine 169. ..
- Sansó M, Gogol M, Ayte J, Seidel C, Hidalgo E. Transcription factors Pcr1 and Atf1 have distinct roles in stress- and Sty1-dependent gene regulation. Eukaryot Cell. 2008;7:826-35 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these analyses show that both proteins have a global repressive effect on stress-dependent and stress-independent genes. ..
- López Avilés S, Grande M, Gonzalez M, Helgesen A, Alemany V, Sanchez Piris M, et al. Inactivation of the Cdc25 phosphatase by the stress-activated Srk1 kinase in fission yeast. Mol Cell. 2005;17:49-59 pubmed..However, Srk1 does not regulate Cdc25 in response to replication arrest or DNA damage but, rather, during a normal cell cycle and in response to nongenotoxic environmental stress. ..
- Valbuena N, Guan K, Moreno S. The Vam6 and Gtr1-Gtr2 pathway activates TORC1 in response to amino acids in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:1920-8 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate the existence of an evolutionarily conserved pathway with the Vam6 and Gtr1-Gtr2 pathway activating TORC1, which in turns stimulates cell growth and inhibits sexual differentiation. ..
- Coll P, Trillo Y, Ametzazurra A, Perez P. Gef1p, a new guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Cdc42p, regulates polarity in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:313-23 pubmed..Genetic evidence revealed a link between Gef1p and the signaling pathway of Shk1/Orb2p and Orb6p. In contrast, no genetic interaction between Gef1p and Shk2p-Mkh1p pathway was observed. ..
- Cortés J, Sato M, Munoz J, Moreno M, Clemente Ramos J, Ramos M, et al. Fission yeast Ags1 confers the essential septum strength needed for safe gradual cell abscission. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:637-56 pubmed publisher..Consequently, the absence of Ags1 and therefore ?(1-3)glucan generates a special and unique side-explosive cell separation due to an instantaneous primary septum tearing caused by the turgor pressure. ..
- Sanchez Diaz A, Blanco M, Jones N, Moreno S. HBP2: a new mammalian protein that complements the fission yeast MBF transcription complex. Curr Genet. 2001;40:110-8 pubmed..The mammalian HBP2 activates transcription at G1/S in the fission yeast Sch. pombe. ..
- Calvo I, Ayt J, Hidalgo E. Reversible thiol oxidation in the H2O2-dependent activation of the transcription factor Pap1. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:2279-84 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that not just one but probably two disulphide bonds are required to promote the important conformational changes that trigger Pap1 activation and nuclear accumulation...
- Munoz M, Jimenez J. Genetic interactions between Hsp90 and the Cdc2 mitotic machinery in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Gen Genet. 1999;261:242-50 pubmed
- Valbuena N, Moreno S. AMPK phosphorylation by Ssp1 is required for proper sexual differentiation in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:2655-64 pubmed publisher..This pathway is important to advance fission cells into mitosis and to establish a timely pre-Start G1 cell cycle arrest for mating. ..
- Rincon S, Ye Y, Villar Tajadura M, Santos B, Martin S, Perez P. Pob1 participates in the Cdc42 regulation of fission yeast actin cytoskeleton. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4390-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose that Pob1 is required for For3 localization to the tips and facilitates Cdc42-mediated relief of For3 autoinhibition to stimulate actin cable formation. ..
- Arellano M, Duran A, Perez P. Rho 1 GTPase activates the (1-3)beta-D-glucan synthase and is involved in Schizosaccharomyces pombe morphogenesis. EMBO J. 1996;15:4584-91 pubmed..Cells overproducing Rho1 are hypersensitive to inhibitors of cell wall biosynthesis or to cell wall degrading enzymes. We conclude that Rho1 GTPase directly activates (1-3)beta-D-glucan synthase and regulates S.pombe morphogenesis. ..
- Pinar M, Coll P, Rincon S, Perez P. Schizosaccharomyces pombe Pxl1 is a paxillin homologue that modulates Rho1 activity and participates in cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1727-38 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest that Pxl1 modulates Rho1 GTPase signaling and plays a role in the formation and contraction of the actomyosin ring during cytokinesis. ..
- Arellano M, Valdivieso M, Calonge T, Coll P, Duran A, Perez P. Schizosaccharomyces pombe protein kinase C homologues, pck1p and pck2p, are targets of rho1p and rho2p and differentially regulate cell integrity. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 ( Pt 20):3569-78 pubmed..pck1(+ )also showed a genetic interaction with ras1(+) and ral1(+) suggesting the existence of a functional link between both signalling pathways. ..
- Martín Castellanos C, Blanco M, de Prada J, Moreno S. The puc1 cyclin regulates the G1 phase of the fission yeast cell cycle in response to cell size. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:543-54 pubmed..This G1 delay is completely abolished in cells lacking rum1. Cdc2/puc1 function may be important to down-regulate the rum1 Cdk inhibitor at the end of G1. ..
- Carnero E, Ribas J, Garcia B, Duran A, Sanchez Y. Schizosaccharomyces pombe ehs1p is involved in maintaining cell wall integrity and in calcium uptake. Mol Gen Genet. 2000;264:173-83 pubmed..Our results suggest that in fission yeast ehs1p forms part of a calcium channel that is involved in the cell wall integrity pathway that includes the kinase pck2p. ..
- Jimenez A, Mateos L, Pedrajas J, Miranda Vizuete A, Revuelta J. The txl1+ gene from Schizosaccharomyces pombe encodes a new thioredoxin-like 1 protein that participates in the antioxidant defence against tert-butyl hydroperoxide. Yeast. 2007;24:481-90 pubmed..Overall, these results indicate that the Txl1 role in the cellular detoxification of alkyl hydroperoxide is exerted through a constitutive transcription of txl1(+). ..
- Martin V, Ribas J, Carnero E, Duran A, Sanchez Y. bgs2+, a sporulation-specific glucan synthase homologue is required for proper ascospore wall maturation in fission yeast. Mol Microbiol. 2000;38:308-21 pubmed
- Santos B, Gutierrez J, Calonge T, Perez P. Novel Rho GTPase involved in cytokinesis and cell wall integrity in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Eukaryot Cell. 2003;2:521-33 pubmed..Rho4Delta cells also accumulate secretory vesicles around the septum and are defective in actin polarization. We propose that Rho4 could be involved in the regulation of the septum degradation during cytokinesis. ..
- Sharifmoghadam M, Bustos Sanmamed P, Valdivieso M. The fission yeast Map4 protein is a novel adhesin required for mating. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:4457-62 pubmed..Map4p is a mating type-specific adhesin required for mating in h(+) cells and enhances cell adhesion when overexpressed. ..
- Martín García R, Valdivieso M. The fission yeast Chs2 protein interacts with the type-II myosin Myo3p and is required for the integrity of the actomyosin ring. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:2768-79 pubmed..In synchronous cultures, chs2Delta cells exhibit a delay in septation with respect to the control strain. All these results show that Chs2p participates in the correct functioning of the medial ring. ..
- Alonso Nuñez M, An H, Martin Cuadrado A, Mehta S, Petit C, Sipiczki M, et al. Ace2p controls the expression of genes required for cell separation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:2003-17 pubmed..The phenotype of this mutant closely resembled that of ace2Delta mutants, forming branched chains of cells. This suggests that these two proteins are the main activities required for cell separation to be completed. ..
- Vázquez Novelle M, Esteban V, Bueno A, Sacristán M. Functional homology among human and fission yeast Cdc14 phosphatases. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:29144-50 pubmed..Our results support a Cdc14 conserved inhibitory mechanism acting on S. pombe Cdc25 protein and suggest that human cells may regulate Cdc25 in a similar manner to inactivate Cdk1-mitotic cyclin complexes. ..
- Fernandez De Mattos S, Alemany V, Aligue R, Tauler A. Increase in Fru-2,6-P(2) levels results in altered cell division in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1783:144-52 pubmed..As the key regulators of the cell cycle checkpoints are conserved throughout evolution, these results may help to understand the experimental evidences obtained by manipulation of Fru-2,6-P2 levels in mammalian cells. ..
- Blanco M, Sanchez Diaz A, de Prada J, Moreno S. APC(ste9/srw1) promotes degradation of mitotic cyclins in G(1) and is inhibited by cdc2 phosphorylation. EMBO J. 2000;19:3945-55 pubmed..This mechanism provides a molecular switch to prevent inactivation of cdc2 in G(2) and early mitosis and to allow its inactivation in G(1). ..
- Cortés J, Ishiguro J, Duran A, Ribas J. Localization of the (1,3)beta-D-glucan synthase catalytic subunit homologue Bgs1p/Cps1p from fission yeast suggests that it is involved in septation, polarized growth, mating, spore wall formation and spore germination. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:4081-96 pubmed
- Soto T, Beltrán F, Paredes V, Madrid M, Millar J, Vicente Soler J, et al. Cold induces stress-activated protein kinase-mediated response in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:5056-65 pubmed
- Calvo I, Garcia P, Ayte J, Hidalgo E. The transcription factors Pap1 and Prr1 collaborate to activate antioxidant, but not drug tolerance, genes in response to H2O2. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:4816-24 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests that the activation of both antioxidant and drug resistance genes in response to oxidative stress share a common inducer, H(2)O(2), but alternative effectors. ..
- Daga R, Bolaños P, Moreno S. Regulated mRNA stability of the Cdk inhibitor Rum1 links nutrient status to cell cycle progression. Curr Biol. 2003;13:2015-24 pubmed..We propose that mRNA stability is an important mechanism to fine tune the expression of the rum1 gene, in order to allow the production of appropriate levels of Rum1 protein in response to changes in the nutritional environment. ..
- Cartagena Lirola H, Duran A, Valdivieso M. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe cfr1+ gene participates in mating through a new pathway that is independent of fus1+. Yeast. 2006;23:375-88 pubmed
- Alvarez B, Blanco M, Moreno S. The fission yeast APC activator Ste9 is regulated by mRNA decay. Cell Cycle. 2006;5:865-8 pubmed..Moreover, we demonstrate that the instability of ste9 mRNA is important for downregulating Ste9 levels in G2, allowing appropriate cyclin B accumulation to promote timely entry into mitosis. ..
- Perez P, Rincon S. Rho GTPases: regulation of cell polarity and growth in yeasts. Biochem J. 2010;426:243-53 pubmed publisher..They provide the co-ordinated regulation of cell-wall biosynthetic enzymes and actin organization required to maintain cell integrity during vegetative growth. ..
- Garcia P, Garcia I, Marcos F, de Garibay G, Sanchez Y. Fission yeast rgf2p is a rho1p guanine nucleotide exchange factor required for spore wall maturation and for the maintenance of cell integrity in the absence of rgf1p. Genetics. 2009;181:1321-34 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Rgf1p and Rgf2p are alternative GEFs with an essential overlapping function in Rho1p activation during vegetative growth. ..
- Villar Tajadura M, Coll P, Madrid M, Cansado J, Santos B, Perez P. Rga2 is a Rho2 GAP that regulates morphogenesis and cell integrity in S. pombe. Mol Microbiol. 2008;70:867-81 pubmed publisher..Additionally, genetic interactions and biochemical analysis suggest that Rga2 regulates Rho2-Pck2 interaction and might participate in the regulation of the MAPK cell integrity pathway. ..
- Esteban V, Sacristán M, Andrés S, Bueno A. The Flp1/Clp1 phosphatase cooperates with HECT-type Pub1/2 protein-ubiquitin ligases in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:1269-76 pubmed..pombe cells. Thus Flp1p appears to have an important role in integrating HECT- and RING-type ubiquitin ligases in cell cycle control. ..
- Martín Castellanos C, Moreno S. Regulation of G1 progression in fission yeast by the rum1+ gene product. Prog Cell Cycle Res. 1996;2:29-35 pubmed
- Perez Hidalgo L, Rozalén A, Martín Castellanos C, Moreno S. Slk1 is a meiosis-specific Sid2-related kinase that coordinates meiotic nuclear division with growth of the forespore membrane. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:1383-92 pubmed publisher..Slk1 and Sid2 are required for forespore membrane biosynthesis and seem to be the final output of the SIN pathway in meiosis. ..
- de Medina Redondo M, Arnaiz Pita Y, Fontaine T, del Rey F, Latge J, Vazquez de Aldana C. The beta-1,3-glucanosyltransferase gas4p is essential for ascospore wall maturation and spore viability in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Microbiol. 2008;68:1283-99 pubmed publisher..We conclude that gas4p is required for ascospore maturation in S. pombe. ..
- Matia Gonz lez A, Hasan A, Moe G, Mata J, Rodr guez Gabriel M. Functional characterization of Upf1 targets in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. RNA Biol. 2013;10:1057-65 pubmed publisher..Finally, we investigated the physiological importance of this phenomenon, and demonstrate that the Upf1-dependent downregulation of some of its direct targets is necessary for normal resistance to oxidative stress...
- Grande M, Lambea E, Fajardo A, López Avilés S, Kellogg D, Aligue R. Crosstalk between Nap1 protein and Cds1 checkpoint kinase to maintain chromatin integrity. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1783:1595-604 pubmed publisher..We also show that overexpression of Nap1 protein blocks the cell cycle in G1 phase. ..
- Sharifmoghadam M, Curto M, Hoya M, de Leon N, Martín García R, Doncel C, et al. The integrity of the cytokinesis machinery under stress conditions requires the glucan synthase Bgs1p and its regulator Cfh3p. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42726 pubmed publisher..The results show that the contractile actomyosin ring is very sensitive to stress, and that cells have efficient mechanisms to remedy the damage produced in this structure. ..
- Coll P, Rincon S, Izquierdo R, Perez P. Hob3p, the fission yeast ortholog of human BIN3, localizes Cdc42p to the division site and regulates cytokinesis. EMBO J. 2007;26:1865-77 pubmed..These results suggest that Hob3p is required to recruit and activate Cdc42p at the cell division site and that this function might be conserved in other eukaryotes. ..
- Dueñas Santero E, Martin Cuadrado A, Fontaine T, Latge J, del Rey F, Vázquez de Aldana C. Characterization of glycoside hydrolase family 5 proteins in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:1650-60 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of Exg2 resulted in an increase in cell wall material at the poles and in the septum, but the putative catalytic activity of the protein was not required for this effect. ..
- Rincon S, Santos B, Perez P. Fission yeast Rho5p GTPase is a functional paralogue of Rho1p that plays a role in survival of spores and stationary-phase cells. Eukaryot Cell. 2006;5:435-46 pubmed..These results suggest that Rho5p functions in a way similar to, but less efficient than, Rho1p, plays a nonessential role during stationary phase, and participates in the spore wall formation. ..