Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on schizosaccharomyces in Spain
- Martin V, Ribas J, Carnero E, Duran A, Sanchez Y. bgs2+, a sporulation-specific glucan synthase homologue is required for proper ascospore wall maturation in fission yeast. Mol Microbiol. 2000;38:308-21 pubmed
- Martin Cuadrado A, Encinar del Dedo J, de Medina Redondo M, Fontaine T, del Rey F, Latge J, et al. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe endo-1,3-beta-glucanase Eng1 contains a novel carbohydrate binding module required for septum localization. Mol Microbiol. 2008;69:188-200 pubmed publisher..Thus, the targeting of Eng1 to the primary septum requires not only trans-factors (septins and the exocyst complex) but also a cis-element localized to the C-terminus of the protein. ..
- Perera D, Perez Hidalgo L, Moens P, Reini K, Lakin N, Syvaoja J, et al. TopBP1 and ATR colocalization at meiotic chromosomes: role of TopBP1/Cut5 in the meiotic recombination checkpoint. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1568-79 pubmed..Our findings suggest that ATR and TopBP1 monitor meiotic recombination and are required for activation of the meiotic recombination checkpoint. ..
- Martin V, Garcia B, Carnero E, Duran A, Sanchez Y. Bgs3p, a putative 1,3-beta-glucan synthase subunit, is required for cell wall assembly in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Eukaryot Cell. 2003;2:159-69 pubmed..We conclude that Bgs3p localization is restricted to growth areas and that Bgs3p is a glucan synthase homologue required for cell wall biosynthesis and cell elongation in the fission yeast life cycle. ..
- Garcia P, Tajadura V, Garcia I, Sanchez Y. Rgf1p is a specific Rho1-GEF that coordinates cell polarization with cell wall biogenesis in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:1620-31 pubmed..Our results suggest that Rgf1p probably activates the Rho functions necessary for coordinating actin deposition with cell wall biosynthesis during bipolar growth, allowing the cells to remodel their wall without risk of rupture. ..
- Perez Hidalgo L, Moreno S, San Segundo P. The fission yeast meiotic checkpoint kinase Mek1 regulates nuclear localization of Cdc25 by phosphorylation. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:3720-30 pubmed
- Matia Gonz lez A, Hasan A, Moe G, Mata J, Rodr guez Gabriel M. Functional characterization of Upf1 targets in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. RNA Biol. 2013;10:1057-65 pubmed publisher..Finally, we investigated the physiological importance of this phenomenon, and demonstrate that the Upf1-dependent downregulation of some of its direct targets is necessary for normal resistance to oxidative stress...
- Sharifmoghadam M, Curto M, Hoya M, de Leon N, Martín García R, Doncel C, et al. The integrity of the cytokinesis machinery under stress conditions requires the glucan synthase Bgs1p and its regulator Cfh3p. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42726 pubmed publisher..The results show that the contractile actomyosin ring is very sensitive to stress, and that cells have efficient mechanisms to remedy the damage produced in this structure. ..
- Alonso Nuñez M, An H, Martin Cuadrado A, Mehta S, Petit C, Sipiczki M, et al. Ace2p controls the expression of genes required for cell separation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:2003-17 pubmed..The phenotype of this mutant closely resembled that of ace2Delta mutants, forming branched chains of cells. This suggests that these two proteins are the main activities required for cell separation to be completed. ..
- Arellano M, Cartagena Lirola H, Nasser Hajibagheri M, Duran A, Henar Valdivieso M. Proper ascospore maturation requires the chs1+ chitin synthase gene in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Microbiol. 2000;35:79-89 pubmed..Finally, we show that wild-type, but not chs1-/chs1-, ascospore cell walls bind wheatgerm agglutinin. Our results clearly suggest the existence of a relationship between chs1+, chitin synthesis and ascospore maturation in S. pombe. ..
- Jara M, Vivancos A, Calvo I, Moldón A, Sansó M, Hidalgo E. The peroxiredoxin Tpx1 is essential as a H2O2 scavenger during aerobic growth in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2288-95 pubmed..C169S, lacking the resolving cysteine, can sustain aerobic growth, and we show that small reductants can modulate the activity of the mutant protein in vitro, probably by supplying a thiol group to substitute for cysteine 169. ..
- Arellano M, Duran A, Perez P. Rho 1 GTPase activates the (1-3)beta-D-glucan synthase and is involved in Schizosaccharomyces pombe morphogenesis. EMBO J. 1996;15:4584-91 pubmed..Cells overproducing Rho1 are hypersensitive to inhibitors of cell wall biosynthesis or to cell wall degrading enzymes. We conclude that Rho1 GTPase directly activates (1-3)beta-D-glucan synthase and regulates S.pombe morphogenesis. ..
- Carnero E, Ribas J, Garcia B, Duran A, Sanchez Y. Schizosaccharomyces pombe ehs1p is involved in maintaining cell wall integrity and in calcium uptake. Mol Gen Genet. 2000;264:173-83 pubmed..Our results suggest that in fission yeast ehs1p forms part of a calcium channel that is involved in the cell wall integrity pathway that includes the kinase pck2p. ..
- Pinar M, Coll P, Rincon S, Perez P. Schizosaccharomyces pombe Pxl1 is a paxillin homologue that modulates Rho1 activity and participates in cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1727-38 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest that Pxl1 modulates Rho1 GTPase signaling and plays a role in the formation and contraction of the actomyosin ring during cytokinesis. ..
- Fernandez J, Soto T, Franco A, Vicente Soler J, Cansado J, Gacto M. Enhancement of neutral trehalase activity by oxidative stress in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Fungal Genet Biol. 1998;25:79-86 pubmed..In spite of the trehalase increase, a net accumulation of trehalose was noticed during the oxidative stress. ..
- Garcia I, Tajadura V, Martin V, Toda T, Sanchez Y. Synthesis of alpha-glucans in fission yeast spores is carried out by three alpha-glucan synthase paralogues, Mok12p, Mok13p and Mok14p. Mol Microbiol. 2006;59:836-53 pubmed
- Calvo I, Garcia P, Ayte J, Hidalgo E. The transcription factors Pap1 and Prr1 collaborate to activate antioxidant, but not drug tolerance, genes in response to H2O2. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:4816-24 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests that the activation of both antioxidant and drug resistance genes in response to oxidative stress share a common inducer, H(2)O(2), but alternative effectors. ..
- de Medina Redondo M, Arnaiz Pita Y, Fontaine T, del Rey F, Latge J, Vazquez de Aldana C. The beta-1,3-glucanosyltransferase gas4p is essential for ascospore wall maturation and spore viability in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Microbiol. 2008;68:1283-99 pubmed publisher..We conclude that gas4p is required for ascospore maturation in S. pombe. ..
- Villar Tajadura M, Coll P, Madrid M, Cansado J, Santos B, Perez P. Rga2 is a Rho2 GAP that regulates morphogenesis and cell integrity in S. pombe. Mol Microbiol. 2008;70:867-81 pubmed publisher..Additionally, genetic interactions and biochemical analysis suggest that Rga2 regulates Rho2-Pck2 interaction and might participate in the regulation of the MAPK cell integrity pathway. ..
- Martín García R, Duran A, Valdivieso M. In Schizosaccharomyces pombe chs2p has no chitin synthase activity but is related to septum formation. FEBS Lett. 2003;549:176-80 pubmed..Strong over-expression is lethal, while moderate expression leads to a severe defect in septum formation. These results suggest that chs2p has remained through evolution to play an alternative role in septation. ..
- Perez Hidalgo L, Rozalén A, Martín Castellanos C, Moreno S. Slk1 is a meiosis-specific Sid2-related kinase that coordinates meiotic nuclear division with growth of the forespore membrane. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:1383-92 pubmed publisher..Slk1 and Sid2 are required for forespore membrane biosynthesis and seem to be the final output of the SIN pathway in meiosis. ..
- Ribas J, Diaz M, Duran A, Perez P. Isolation and characterization of Schizosaccharomyces pombe mutants defective in cell wall (1-3)beta-D-glucan. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:3456-62 pubmed..It is concluded that the cwg1+ and cwg2+ genes are related to (1,3)beta-D-glucan biosynthesis. ..
- Sharifmoghadam M, Valdivieso M. The fission yeast SEL1 domain protein Cfh3p: a novel regulator of the glucan synthase Bgs1p whose function is more relevant under stress conditions. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:11070-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, we found that the SEL1 repeats are required for Cfh3p function. These results show that Cfh3p is a regulatory protein for Bgs1p and that its function is particularly necessary when the cells are undergoing stress. ..
- Rincon S, Ye Y, Villar Tajadura M, Santos B, Martin S, Perez P. Pob1 participates in the Cdc42 regulation of fission yeast actin cytoskeleton. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4390-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose that Pob1 is required for For3 localization to the tips and facilitates Cdc42-mediated relief of For3 autoinhibition to stimulate actin cable formation. ..
- Perez P, Rincon S. Rho GTPases: regulation of cell polarity and growth in yeasts. Biochem J. 2010;426:243-53 pubmed publisher..They provide the co-ordinated regulation of cell-wall biosynthetic enzymes and actin organization required to maintain cell integrity during vegetative growth. ..
- Coll P, Trillo Y, Ametzazurra A, Perez P. Gef1p, a new guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Cdc42p, regulates polarity in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:313-23 pubmed..Genetic evidence revealed a link between Gef1p and the signaling pathway of Shk1/Orb2p and Orb6p. In contrast, no genetic interaction between Gef1p and Shk2p-Mkh1p pathway was observed. ..
- Calonge T, Arellano M, Coll P, Perez P. Rga5p is a specific Rho1p GTPase-activating protein that regulates cell integrity in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Microbiol. 2003;47:507-18 pubmed..Genetic interactions suggest that Rga5p is also important for the regulation of the other known Rho1p effectors, Pck1p and Pck2p. ..
- Agell N, Aligue R, Alemany V, Castro A, Jaime M, Pujol M, et al. New nuclear functions for calmodulin. Cell Calcium. 1998;23:115-21 pubmed
- Sanchez Diaz A, Blanco M, Jones N, Moreno S. HBP2: a new mammalian protein that complements the fission yeast MBF transcription complex. Curr Genet. 2001;40:110-8 pubmed..The mammalian HBP2 activates transcription at G1/S in the fission yeast Sch. pombe. ..
- Chica N, RozalÃ©n A, PÃ©rez Hidalgo L, Rubio A, Novak B, Moreno S. Nutritional Control of Cell Size by the Greatwall-Endosulfine-PP2AÂ·B55 Pathway. Curr Biol. 2016;26:319-30 pubmed publisher..Given the conservation of this pathway, it is reasonable to assume that this mechanism operates in higher eukaryotes, as well. ..
- Balcells L, Martin R, Ruiz M, Gomez N, Ramos J, Arino J. The Pzh1 protein phosphatase and the Spm1 protein kinase are involved in the regulation of the plasma membrane H+-ATPase in fission yeast. FEBS Lett. 1998;435:241-4 pubmed..These observations suggest that the activity of the H+-ATPase in fission yeast might be regulated by phospho-dephosphorylation mechanisms that might involve the pzh1+ and spm1+ gene products. ..
- Blanco M, Sanchez Diaz A, de Prada J, Moreno S. APC(ste9/srw1) promotes degradation of mitotic cyclins in G(1) and is inhibited by cdc2 phosphorylation. EMBO J. 2000;19:3945-55 pubmed..This mechanism provides a molecular switch to prevent inactivation of cdc2 in G(2) and early mitosis and to allow its inactivation in G(1). ..
- Sanchez Diaz A, Gonzalez I, Arellano M, Moreno S. The Cdk inhibitors p25rum1 and p40SIC1 are functional homologues that play similar roles in the regulation of the cell cycle in fission and budding yeast. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 6):843-51 pubmed..All these observations suggest that fission yeast p25rum1 and budding yeast p40SIC1 define a family of Cdk inhibitors that specifically down regulate cyclin B/Cdk1 during the G1 phase of the cell cycle. ..
- Vivancos A, Castillo E, Biteau B, Nicot C, Ayte J, Toledano M, et al. A cysteine-sulfinic acid in peroxiredoxin regulates H2O2-sensing by the antioxidant Pap1 pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:8875-80 pubmed..Thus, Tpx1 oxidation to the cysteine-sulfinic acid and its reversion by Srx1 constitutes a previously uncharacterized redox switch in H2O2 signaling, restricting Pap1 activation within a narrow range of H2O2 concentrations. ..
- Vázquez Novelle M, Esteban V, Bueno A, Sacristán M. Functional homology among human and fission yeast Cdc14 phosphatases. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:29144-50 pubmed..Our results support a Cdc14 conserved inhibitory mechanism acting on S. pombe Cdc25 protein and suggest that human cells may regulate Cdc25 in a similar manner to inactivate Cdk1-mitotic cyclin complexes. ..
- Calvo I, Ayt J, Hidalgo E. Reversible thiol oxidation in the H2O2-dependent activation of the transcription factor Pap1. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:2279-84 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that not just one but probably two disulphide bonds are required to promote the important conformational changes that trigger Pap1 activation and nuclear accumulation...
- Valbuena N, Moreno S. AMPK phosphorylation by Ssp1 is required for proper sexual differentiation in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:2655-64 pubmed publisher..This pathway is important to advance fission cells into mitosis and to establish a timely pre-Start G1 cell cycle arrest for mating. ..
- Clemente Ramos J, Martín García R, Sharifmoghadam M, Konomi M, Osumi M, Valdivieso M. The tetraspan protein Dni1p is required for correct membrane organization and cell wall remodelling during mating in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Microbiol. 2009;73:695-709 pubmed publisher..These results show that Dni1p plays a relevant role in co-ordinating membrane organization and cell wall remodelling during mating, a function that has not been described for other proteins in the fission yeast. ..
- Dueñas Santero E, Martin Cuadrado A, Fontaine T, Latge J, del Rey F, Vázquez de Aldana C. Characterization of glycoside hydrolase family 5 proteins in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:1650-60 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of Exg2 resulted in an increase in cell wall material at the poles and in the septum, but the putative catalytic activity of the protein was not required for this effect. ..
- de Medina Redondo M, Arnaiz Pita Y, Clavaud C, Fontaine T, del Rey F, Latge J, et al. ?(1,3)-glucanosyl-transferase activity is essential for cell wall integrity and viability of Schizosaccharomyces pombe. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14046 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ?(1,3)-glucanosyl-transferase activity is essential for viability in fission yeast, being required to maintain cell integrity during vegetative growth. ..
- Godoy C, Arellano M, Diaz M, Duran A, Perez P. Characterization of cwl1+, a gene from Schizosaccharomyces pombe whose overexpression causes cell lysis. Yeast. 1996;12:983-90 pubmed..pombe nmt inducible promoter displayed a reduced cell wall content, were unable to separate after division and lysed drastically in the absence of osmotic stabilizer. Disruption of the cwl1+ gene caused no noticeable phenotype. ..
- Arellano M, Coll P, Yang W, Duran A, Tamanoi F, Perez P. Characterization of the geranylgeranyl transferase type I from Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Microbiol. 1998;29:1357-67 pubmed..pombe caused loss of polarity but was not lethal and did not render the (1-3)beta-D-glucan synthase activity independent of GTP. Therefore, geranylgeranylation of rho1p is required for the appropriate function of this GTPase. ..
- Jimenez J, Oballe J. Ethanol-hypersensitive and ethanol-dependent cdc- mutants in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Gen Genet. 1994;245:86-95 pubmed
- Santos B, Gutierrez J, Calonge T, Perez P. Novel Rho GTPase involved in cytokinesis and cell wall integrity in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Eukaryot Cell. 2003;2:521-33 pubmed..Rho4Delta cells also accumulate secretory vesicles around the septum and are defective in actin polarization. We propose that Rho4 could be involved in the regulation of the septum degradation during cytokinesis. ..
- Arellano M, Valdivieso M, Calonge T, Coll P, Duran A, Perez P. Schizosaccharomyces pombe protein kinase C homologues, pck1p and pck2p, are targets of rho1p and rho2p and differentially regulate cell integrity. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 ( Pt 20):3569-78 pubmed..pck1(+ )also showed a genetic interaction with ras1(+) and ral1(+) suggesting the existence of a functional link between both signalling pathways. ..
- Estravís M, Rincon S, Santos B, Perez P. Cdc42 regulates multiple membrane traffic events in fission yeast. Traffic. 2011;12:1744-58 pubmed publisher..All together, we propose that Cdc42 and the scaffold Pob1 are required for membrane trafficking and fusion, contributing to polarized secretion, endosome recycling, vacuole formation and growth. ..
- Rincon S, Santos B, Perez P. Fission yeast Rho5p GTPase is a functional paralogue of Rho1p that plays a role in survival of spores and stationary-phase cells. Eukaryot Cell. 2006;5:435-46 pubmed..These results suggest that Rho5p functions in a way similar to, but less efficient than, Rho1p, plays a nonessential role during stationary phase, and participates in the spore wall formation. ..
- Martín Cordero C, Sanchez Pico A, León González A, Pérez Pulido A, Daga R. Yeast as a biosensor of detoxification: a tool for identifying new compounds that revert multidrug resistance. Curr Drug Targets. 2013;14:964-85 pubmed..Putative inhibitors and modulators of ABC transporters could be used in combination with chemotherapeutic drugs for the treatment of multidrug resistant tumours. ..
- Alemany V, Sanchez Piris M, Bachs O, Aligue R. Cmk2, a novel serine/threonine kinase in fission yeast. FEBS Lett. 2002;524:79-86 pubmed
- Soto T, Franco A, Padmanabhan S, Vicente Soler J, Cansado J, Gacto M. Molecular interaction of neutral trehalase with other enzymes of trehalose metabolism in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:3847-55 pubmed..This study provides the first evidence for the participation of the catabolic enzyme trehalase in the structural framework of a regulatory macromolecular complex containing trehalose-6-P synthase in the fission yeast. ..
- Tajadura V, Garcia B, Garcia I, Garcia P, Sanchez Y. Schizosaccharomyces pombe Rgf3p is a specific Rho1 GEF that regulates cell wall beta-glucan biosynthesis through the GTPase Rho1p. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:6163-74 pubmed..Our results suggest that Rgf3p acts as a positive activator of Rho1p, probably activating the Rho functions that coordinate cell-wall biosynthesis to maintain cell integrity during septation. ..
- Cortés J, Sato M, Munoz J, Moreno M, Clemente Ramos J, Ramos M, et al. Fission yeast Ags1 confers the essential septum strength needed for safe gradual cell abscission. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:637-56 pubmed publisher..Consequently, the absence of Ags1 and therefore ?(1-3)glucan generates a special and unique side-explosive cell separation due to an instantaneous primary septum tearing caused by the turgor pressure. ..
- Valbuena N, Guan K, Moreno S. The Vam6 and Gtr1-Gtr2 pathway activates TORC1 in response to amino acids in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:1920-8 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate the existence of an evolutionarily conserved pathway with the Vam6 and Gtr1-Gtr2 pathway activating TORC1, which in turns stimulates cell growth and inhibits sexual differentiation. ..
- Valbuena N, Rozalén A, Moreno S. Fission yeast TORC1 prevents eIF2? phosphorylation in response to nitrogen and amino acids via Gcn2 kinase. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5955-9 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of TORC1, either by rapamycin treatment, mutation of Tor2 or nitrogen deprivation, induces Gcn2-dependent phosphorylation of eIF2?. ..
- Martin Cuadrado A, Morrell J, Konomi M, An H, Petit C, Osumi M, et al. Role of septins and the exocyst complex in the function of hydrolytic enzymes responsible for fission yeast cell separation. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4867-81 pubmed..Thus, one of the functions of the septin ring would be to act as a positional marker for the localization of hydrolytic proteins to the medial region. ..
- Martin Cuadrado A, Dueñas E, Sipiczki M, Vazquez de Aldana C, del Rey F. The endo-beta-1,3-glucanase eng1p is required for dissolution of the primary septum during cell separation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:1689-98 pubmed..Thus, ace2p may regulate the expression of the eng1+ gene together with that of other genes whose products are also involved in cell separation. ..
- Moreno S, Sanchez Y, Rodriguez L. Purification and characterization of the invertase from Schizosaccharomyces pombe. A comparative analysis with the invertase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem J. 1990;267:697-702 pubmed..cerevisiae. Both proteins cross-react with antibodies raised against the protein fractions of the other, indicating that the two enzymes are similar. ..
- Arellano M, Duran A, Perez P. Localisation of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe rho1p GTPase and its involvement in the organisation of the actin cytoskeleton. J Cell Sci. 1997;110 ( Pt 20):2547-55 pubmed..We conclude that rho1p localisation is restricted to growth areas and regulated during the cell cycle and that rho1p is involved in cell wall growth and actin cytoskeleton organisation in S. pombe. ..
- Calonge T, Nakano K, Arellano M, Arai R, Katayama S, Toda T, et al. Schizosaccharomyces pombe rho2p GTPase regulates cell wall alpha-glucan biosynthesis through the protein kinase pck2p. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:4393-401 pubmed..Taken together, all of these results indicate the presence of a signaling pathway regulating alpha-glucan biosynthesis in which the Rho2p GTPase activates Pck2p, and this kinase in turn controls Mok1p. ..
- Cortés J, Ishiguro J, Duran A, Ribas J. Localization of the (1,3)beta-D-glucan synthase catalytic subunit homologue Bgs1p/Cps1p from fission yeast suggests that it is involved in septation, polarized growth, mating, spore wall formation and spore germination. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:4081-96 pubmed
- Perez Hidalgo L, Moreno S, San Segundo P. Regulation of meiotic progression by the meiosis-specific checkpoint kinase Mek1 in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:259-71 pubmed..Thus, we provide the first evidence of a connection between an effector kinase of the meiotic recombination checkpoint and a crucial cell cycle regulator and present a model for the operation of this meiotic checkpoint in fission yeast. ..
- Grande M, Lambea E, Fajardo A, López Avilés S, Kellogg D, Aligue R. Crosstalk between Nap1 protein and Cds1 checkpoint kinase to maintain chromatin integrity. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1783:1595-604 pubmed publisher..We also show that overexpression of Nap1 protein blocks the cell cycle in G1 phase. ..
- Cortés J, Carnero E, Ishiguro J, Sanchez Y, Duran A, Ribas J. The novel fission yeast (1,3)beta-D-glucan synthase catalytic subunit Bgs4p is essential during both cytokinesis and polarized growth. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:157-74 pubmed..All these data show for the first time an essential role for a Bgs subunit in the synthesis of a (1,3)beta-D-glucan necessary to preserve cell integrity when cell wall synthesis or repair are needed. ..
- López Avilés S, Grande M, Gonzalez M, Helgesen A, Alemany V, Sanchez Piris M, et al. Inactivation of the Cdc25 phosphatase by the stress-activated Srk1 kinase in fission yeast. Mol Cell. 2005;17:49-59 pubmed..However, Srk1 does not regulate Cdc25 in response to replication arrest or DNA damage but, rather, during a normal cell cycle and in response to nongenotoxic environmental stress. ..
- Santos B, Martin Cuadrado A, Vazquez de Aldana C, del Rey F, Perez P. Rho4 GTPase is involved in secretion of glucanases during fission yeast cytokinesis. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:1639-45 pubmed..These results provide evidence that Rho4p is involved in the regulation of Eng1p and Agn1p secretion during cytokinesis. ..
- Cartagena Lirola H, Duran A, Valdivieso M. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe cfr1+ gene participates in mating through a new pathway that is independent of fus1+. Yeast. 2006;23:375-88 pubmed
- Esteban V, Sacristán M, Andrés S, Bueno A. The Flp1/Clp1 phosphatase cooperates with HECT-type Pub1/2 protein-ubiquitin ligases in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:1269-76 pubmed..pombe cells. Thus Flp1p appears to have an important role in integrating HECT- and RING-type ubiquitin ligases in cell cycle control. ..
- Daga R, Bolaños P, Moreno S. Regulated mRNA stability of the Cdk inhibitor Rum1 links nutrient status to cell cycle progression. Curr Biol. 2003;13:2015-24 pubmed..We propose that mRNA stability is an important mechanism to fine tune the expression of the rum1 gene, in order to allow the production of appropriate levels of Rum1 protein in response to changes in the nutritional environment. ..
- Martín Castellanos C, Blanco M, Rozalén A, Perez Hidalgo L, Garcia A, Conde F, et al. A large-scale screen in S. pombe identifies seven novel genes required for critical meiotic events. Curr Biol. 2005;15:2056-62 pubmed..The moa1 mutant was delayed in premeiotic S phase progression and nuclear divisions. Further analysis of these mutants will help elucidate the complex machinery governing the special behavior of meiotic chromosomes. ..
- Sanchez Piris M, Posas F, Alemany V, Winge I, Hidalgo E, Bachs O, et al. The serine/threonine kinase Cmk2 is required for oxidative stress response in fission yeast. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:17722-7 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest that Cmk2 acts downstream of Sty1 and is an essential kinase for oxidative stress responses. ..
- Alvarez B, Moreno S. Fission yeast Tor2 promotes cell growth and represses cell differentiation. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4475-85 pubmed..Thus, our data reveal a unique regulatory function of the Tor pathway - ensuring that growth and cell differentiation become mutually exclusive and that the choice between them depends on environmental conditions. ..
- Martín Castellanos C, Blanco M, de Prada J, Moreno S. The puc1 cyclin regulates the G1 phase of the fission yeast cell cycle in response to cell size. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:543-54 pubmed..This G1 delay is completely abolished in cells lacking rum1. Cdc2/puc1 function may be important to down-regulate the rum1 Cdk inhibitor at the end of G1. ..
- Daga R, Jimenez J. Translational control of the cdc25 cell cycle phosphatase: a molecular mechanism coupling mitosis to cell growth. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 Pt 18:3137-46 pubmed
- Balcells L, Calero F, Gomez N, Ramos J, Arino J. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe Pzh1 protein phosphatase regulates Na+ ion influx in a Trk1-independent fashion. Eur J Biochem. 1999;260:31-7 pubmed..These results suggest that Trk1 does not mediate the effect of Pzh1 on NaCl tolerance and that fission yeast contains efficient systems, other than Trk1, for uptake of K+ ions. ..
- Sansó M, Gogol M, Ayte J, Seidel C, Hidalgo E. Transcription factors Pcr1 and Atf1 have distinct roles in stress- and Sty1-dependent gene regulation. Eukaryot Cell. 2008;7:826-35 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these analyses show that both proteins have a global repressive effect on stress-dependent and stress-independent genes. ..