Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on saccharomyces cerevisiae proteins in Finland
Topic: saccharomyces cerevisiae proteins
- Kamel D, Mackey Z, Sjoblom T, Walter C, McCarrey J, Uitto L, et al. Role of deoxyribonucleic acid polymerase epsilon in spermatogenesis in mice. Biol Reprod. 1997;57:1367-74 pubmed..In contrast, DNA polymerases alpha and delta appear to be involved in meiotic DNA synthesis, which occurs early in meiotic prophase, in addition to functioning in DNA replication in proliferating spermatogonia. ..
- Brummer M, Kivinen K, Jantti J, Toikkanen J, Soderlund H, Keranen S. Characterization of the sec1-1 and sec1-11 mutations. Yeast. 2001;18:1525-36 pubmed..These results localize sec1-1 and sec1-11 mutations to a domain of Sec1p and suggest a mechanism by which sec1-1 and sec1-11 cells become temperature-sensitive. ..
- Davydenko S, Juselius J, Munder T, Bogengruber E, Jantti J, Keränen S. Screening for novel essential genes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae involved in protein secretion. Yeast. 2004;21:463-71 pubmed..The results obtained here indicate that the present screen could be successfully used in larger scale to identify novel secretion-related genes. ..
- Weber Boyvat M, Aro N, Chernov K, Nyman T, Jantti J. Sec1p and Mso1p C-terminal tails cooperate with the SNAREs and Sec4p in polarized exocytosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:230-44 pubmed publisher..This association depends on the Sec4p guanine nucleotide exchange factor Sec2p. Our results reveal a novel binding mode between the Sec1p C-terminal tail and the SNARE complex, and suggest a role for Mso1p as an effector of Sec4p. ..
- Poussu E, Jantti J, Savilahti H. A gene truncation strategy generating N- and C-terminal deletion variants of proteins for functional studies: mapping of the Sec1p binding domain in yeast Mso1p by a Mu in vitro transposition-based approach. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:e104 pubmed..Importantly, the methodology is applicable to any protein-encoding gene cloned in an appropriate vector...
- Reinman M, Jantti J, Alfthan K, Keränen S, Söderlund H, Takkinen K. Functional inactivation of the conserved Sem1p in yeast by intrabodies. Yeast. 2003;20:1071-84 pubmed..Our results suggest that Sem1p function in yeast cells is in part manifested in the nucleus. ..
- Bertling E, Hotulainen P, Mattila P, Matilainen T, Salminen M, Lappalainen P. Cyclase-associated protein 1 (CAP1) promotes cofilin-induced actin dynamics in mammalian nonmuscle cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:2324-34 pubmed..Together, these data provide the first direct in vivo evidence that CAP promotes rapid actin dynamics in conjunction with ADF/cofilin and is required for several central cellular processes in mammals. ..
- Tirronen M, Roos C. The kurz locus of Drosophila melanogaster shares conserved motifs with a family of yeast ATP dependent splicing factors. Nucleic Acids Res. 1992;20:1802 pubmed
- Toikkanen J, Miller K, Söderlund H, Jantti J, Keränen S. The beta subunit of the Sec61p endoplasmic reticulum translocon interacts with the exocyst complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:20946-53 pubmed..These findings propose a novel functional and physical link between the endoplasmic reticulum translocation complex and the exocyst. ..
- Fatal N, Suntio T, Makarow M. Selective protein exit from yeast endoplasmic reticulum in absence of functional COPII coat component Sec13p. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:4130-40 pubmed..Thus, Hsp150 harbors two different signatures that regulate its ER exit. Our data show that transport vesicles lacking functional Sec13p can carry out ER-to-Golgi transport, but select only specific cargo protein(s) for ER exit. ..
- Rouleau N, Domans kyi A, Reeben M, Moilanen A, Havas K, Kang Z, et al. Novel ATPase of SNF2-like protein family interacts with androgen receptor and modulates androgen-dependent transcription. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:2106-19 pubmed..ARIP4 mutants devoid of ATPase activity fail to alter DNA topology and behave as trans-dominant negative regulators of AR function in transient assays. ..
- Ikonen T, Palvimo J, Janne O. Interaction between the amino- and carboxyl-terminal regions of the rat androgen receptor modulates transcriptional activity and is influenced by nuclear receptor coactivators. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:29821-8 pubmed..Collectively, interplay between the N-terminal region and LBD of rAR results in the formation of a transactivation complex that includes coregulators and that is mandatory for optimal activation of androgen-induced promoters. ..
- Jantti J, Lahdenranta J, Olkkonen V, Soderlund H, Keranen S. SEM1, a homologue of the split hand/split foot malformation candidate gene Dss1, regulates exocytosis and pseudohyphal differentiation in yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:909-14 pubmed..These results characterize SEM1 as a regulator of both exocyst function and pseudohyphal differentiation and suggest a unique link between these two cellular functions in yeast. ..
- Torkko J, Koivuranta K, Miinalainen I, Yagi A, Schmitz W, Kastaniotis A, et al. Candida tropicalis Etr1p and Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ybr026p (Mrf1'p), 2-enoyl thioester reductases essential for mitochondrial respiratory competence. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6243-53 pubmed..We conclude that Etr1p and Ybr026p are novel 2-enoyl thioester reductases required for respiration and the maintenance of the mitochondrial compartment, putatively acting in mitochondrial synthesis of fatty acids. ..
- Shah Z, Hakkaart G, Arku B, de Jong L, van der Spek H, Grivell L, et al. The human homologue of the yeast mitochondrial AAA metalloprotease Yme1p complements a yeast yme1 disruptant. FEBS Lett. 2000;478:267-70 pubmed..We propose that YME1L plays a phylogenetically conserved role in mitochondrial protein metabolism and could be involved in mitochondrial pathologies. ..
- Barlund M, Monni O, Kononen J, Cornelison R, Torhorst J, Sauter G, et al. Multiple genes at 17q23 undergo amplification and overexpression in breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2000;60:5340-4 pubmed
- Simola M, Hänninen A, Stranius S, Makarow M. Trehalose is required for conformational repair of heat-denatured proteins in the yeast endoplasmic reticulum but not for maintenance of membrane traffic functions after severe heat stress. Mol Microbiol. 2000;37:42-53 pubmed..However, cytosolic proteins were aggregated and protein synthesis abolished, resulting finally in cell death. ..
- Toikkanen J, Gatti E, Takei K, Saloheimo M, Olkkonen V, Soderlund H, et al. Yeast protein translocation complex: isolation of two genes SEB1 and SEB2 encoding proteins homologous to the Sec61 beta subunit. Yeast. 1996;12:425-38 pubmed..This study further emphasizes the evolutionary conservation of the ER protein translocation apparatus and provides novel genetic tools for its functional analysis. ..
- Suntio T, Shiryaev S, Makarow M. ATPase activity of a yeast secretory glycoprotein allows ER exit during inactivation of COPII components Sec24p and Sec13p. Yeast. 2011;28:453-65 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge this is the first documentation of the ATPase activity of a protein serving an intracellular transport function. ..
- Sanz A, Soikkeli M, Portero Otin M, Wilson A, Kemppainen E, McIlroy G, et al. Expression of the yeast NADH dehydrogenase Ndi1 in Drosophila confers increased lifespan independently of dietary restriction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:9105-10 pubmed publisher..Our results support a central role of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation complex I in influencing longevity via oxidative stress, independently of pathways connected to nutrition and growth signaling. ..
- Zhao X, Jantti J. Functional characterization of the trans-membrane domain interactions of the Sec61 protein translocation complex beta-subunit. BMC Cell Biol. 2009;10:76 pubmed publisher..Our results identify functionally important amino acids in the Sbh1p trans-membrane domain. In addition, our results provide additional support for the involvement of Sec61beta in processes unlinked to protein translocation. ..
- Vidgren V, Huuskonen A, Virtanen H, Ruohonen L, Londesborough J. Improved fermentation performance of a lager yeast after repair of its AGT1 maltose and maltotriose transporter genes. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009;75:2333-45 pubmed publisher..The growth and sedimentation behaviors of the transformants were similar to those of the untransformed strain, as were the profiles of yeast-derived volatile aroma compounds in the beers...
- Mäkiniemi M, Hillukkala T, Tuusa J, Reini K, Vaara M, Huang D, et al. BRCT domain-containing protein TopBP1 functions in DNA replication and damage response. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:30399-406 pubmed..We also show that TopBP1 interacts with the checkpoint protein hRad9. Thus, these results implicate TopBP1 in replication and checkpoint functions. ..
- Davydenko S, Feng D, Jantti J, Keränen S. Characterization of GPI14/YJR013w mutation that induces the cell wall integrity signalling pathway and results in increased protein production in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 2005;22:993-1009 pubmed..These results suggest that partial inactivation of Gpi14p causes defects in the cell wall structure and suggest that compromised GPI anchor synthesis results in enhanced protein production via the cell wall integrity signalling pathway. ..
- Pitkänen J, Törmä A, Alff S, Huopaniemi L, Mattila P, Renkonen R. Excess mannose limits the growth of phosphomannose isomerase PMI40 deletion strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:55737-43 pubmed
- Falck S, Paavilainen V, Wear M, Grossmann J, Cooper J, Lappalainen P. Biological role and structural mechanism of twinfilin-capping protein interaction. EMBO J. 2004;23:3010-9 pubmed..Our results support a novel model for how sequential interactions between actin monomers, twinfilin, CP, and actin filaments promote cytoskeletal dynamics. ..
- Jantti J, Aalto M, Oyen M, Sundqvist L, Keränen S, Ronne H. Characterization of temperature-sensitive mutations in the yeast syntaxin 1 homologues Sso1p and Sso2p, and evidence of a distinct function for Sso1p in sporulation. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:409-20 pubmed..We conclude that a functional difference exists between the Sso1 and Sso2 proteins, with the former being specifically required during sporulation. ..
- Torkko J, Koivuranta K, Kastaniotis A, Airenne T, Glumoff T, Ilves M, et al. Candida tropicalis expresses two mitochondrial 2-enoyl thioester reductases that are able to form both homodimers and heterodimers. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:41213-20 pubmed..Resolving of crystal structures obtained via Etr2p and Etr1p co-crystallization indicated that all possible dimer variants occur in the same asymmetric unit, suggesting that similar dimer formation also takes place in vivo...
- Huopio H, Jaaskelainen J, Komulainen J, Miettinen R, Kärkkäinen P, Laakso M, et al. Acute insulin response tests for the differential diagnosis of congenital hyperinsulinism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:4502-7 pubmed..Our results, however, also demonstrate the complexity of these responses and the difficulties in their interpretation. ..
- Kastaniotis A, Autio K, Sormunen R, Hiltunen J. Htd2p/Yhr067p is a yeast 3-hydroxyacyl-ACP dehydratase essential for mitochondrial function and morphology. Mol Microbiol. 2004;53:1407-21 pubmed..The mitochondrial phenotypes of the null and overexpression mutants suggest a crucial role of YHR067w in maintenance of mitochondrial respiratory competence and morphology in yeast. ..
- Palmgren S, Vartiainen M, Lappalainen P. Twinfilin, a molecular mailman for actin monomers. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:881-6 pubmed..This is mediated through direct interactions between twinfilin and capping protein. Therefore, twinfilin might serve as a link between rapid actin filament depolymerization and assembly in cells. ..
- Wahlberg M. Three main patterns in the expression of six actin genes in the plerocercoid and adult Diphyllobothrium dendriticum tapeworm (Cestoda). Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1997;86:199-209 pubmed..In this organism, one major pattern of muscle actin gene expression (cestoda-I) and two major patterns of non-muscle actin gene expression (cestoda-II and -III) were found...