Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on risk factors in Israel
Topic: risk factors
Publications300 found, 100 shown here
- Boursi B, Arber N. Current and future clinical strategies in colon cancer prevention and the emerging role of chemoprevention. Curr Pharm Des. 2007;13:2274-82 pubmed..In light of the recent evidence of the efficacy of chemoprevention in persons at high risk for CRC cancer, it seems only appropriate to consider similar strategies for the general population. ..
- Vistoropsky Y, Trofimov S, Malkin I, Kobyliansky E, Livshits G. Genetic and environmental determinants of hepatocyte growth factor levels and their association with obesity and blood pressure. Ann Hum Biol. 2008;35:93-103 pubmed publisher..It is possible that the familial resemblance for WHR and the SBP correlation in the studied sample is affected substantially by genetic factors regulating circulating HGF levels. ..
- Kimiagar I, Gur A, Auriel E, Peer A, Sacagiu T, Bass A. Long-term follow-up of patients after carotid stenting with or without distal protective device in a single tertiary medical center. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2012;46:536-41 pubmed publisher..02). Our data show that CAS + PD was associated with lower rate of vascular complications and mortality compared with CAS-PD and CEA. ..
- Bakx P, Chernichovsky D, Paolucci F, Schokkaert E, Trottmann M, Wasem J, et al. Demand-side strategies to deal with moral hazard in public insurance for long-term care. J Health Serv Res Policy. 2015;20:170-6 pubmed publisher..Its effect will depend on the feasibility of setting appropriate financial incentives for insurers using risk equalization and the willingness of governments to provide insurers with instruments to manage long-term care. ..
- Kovo M, Zion Saukhanov E, Schreiber L, Mevorach N, Divon M, Ben Haroush A, et al. The Effect of Maternal Obesity on Pregnancy Outcome in Correlation With Placental Pathology. Reprod Sci. 2015;22:1643-8 pubmed publisher..In uncomplicated pregnancies, more maternal placental vascular supply lesions exist in obese versus normal weight women, suggesting background placental compromise. ..
- Akirov A, Elis A. The prognostic significance of admission blood glucose levels in patients with urinary tract infection. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016;115:99-105 pubmed publisher..There was no association between ABG and readmissions in both groups. There is a significant association between ABG and short and long-term, all-cause mortality in patients without DM, but not in patients with DM, hospitalized for UTI. ..
- Sheiner E, Levy A, Feinstein U, Hallak M, Mazor M. Risk factors and outcome of failure to progress during the first stage of labor: a population-based study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2002;81:222-6 pubmed..Indications for labor induction should be carefully evaluated in order to decrease the rate of operative deliveries. ..
- Werner P, Vered I. Women's willingness to pay out-of-pocket for drug treatment for osteoporosis before and after the enactment of regulations providing public funding: evidence from a natural experiment in Israel. Osteoporos Int. 2002;13:228-34 pubmed..WTP measures show relative stability over time. The dissemination of information regarding policy or regulatory changes should be encouraged in order to ensure rational decision-making processes. ..
- Sheiner E, Levy A, Katz M, Mazor M. Short stature--an independent risk factor for Cesarean delivery. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2005;120:175-8 pubmed..Further studies investigating the actual indication for CS should be performed in order to make an informed recommendation regarding the preferred mode of delivery in short parturient women. ..
- Sakran W, Levin C, Kenes Y, Colodner R, Koren A. Clinical spectrum of serious bacterial infections among splenectomized patients with hemoglobinopathies in Israel: a 37-year follow-up study. Infection. 2012;40:35-9 pubmed publisher..The attending physician(s) should take these findings into consideration when deciding upon an empiric antibiotic treatment for splenectomized patients who present with fever or sepsis. ..
- Lazar I, Cavari Y, Rosenberg E, Knyazer B. Horner's syndrome in patients admitted to the paediatric intensive care unit: epidemiology, diagnosis and clinical practice. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2013;41:20-3 pubmed..Awareness of the risk of developing iatrogenic Horner's syndrome and early detection of signs are recommended to minimise future disability. ..
- Levine H, Balicer R, Rozhavski V, Halperin T, Shreberk M, Davidovitch N, et al. Seroepidemiology of Epstein-Barr virus and cytomegalovirus among Israeli male young adults. Ann Epidemiol. 2012;22:783-8 pubmed publisher..Socioeconomic disparities exist in the seroprevalence rates of CMV and EBV among Israeli male young adults. The results of the study could aid public health efforts and determine target populations when a vaccine becomes available. ..
- Haim M, Boyko V, Goldbourt U, Battler A, Behar S. Predictive value of elevated white blood cell count in patients with preexisting coronary heart disease: the Bezafibrate Infarction Prevention Study. Arch Intern Med. 2004;164:433-9 pubmed..The aim of the present study was to investigate the association between WBC count and subsequent coronary events and total mortality in a large cohort of patients with CHD...
- Kuint J, Barak M, Morag I, Maayan Metzger A. Early treated hypotension and outcome in very low birth weight infants. Neonatology. 2009;95:311-6 pubmed publisher..001) and 5.4 (95% CI 1.29-22.7, p = 0.01). This study supports the hypothesis that early provision of antihypotensive therapy is related to intraventricular hemorrhage, periventricular leukomalacia and major neurodevelopment impairment. ..
- Brunstein Klomek A, Sourander A, Gould M. The association of suicide and bullying in childhood to young adulthood: a review of cross-sectional and longitudinal research findings. Can J Psychiatry. 2010;55:282-8 pubmed..Bullying and peer victimization constitute more than correlates of suicidality. Future research with long-term follow-up should continue to identify specific causal paths between bullying and suicide. ..
- Nahum E, Livni G, Schiller O, Bitan S, Ashkenazi S, Dagan O. Role of C-reactive protein velocity in the diagnosis of early bacterial infections in children after cardiac surgery. J Intensive Care Med. 2012;27:191-6 pubmed publisher..2% specificity. Serial measurements of CRP/CRP velocity after cardiac surgery in children may assist clinicians in differentiating postoperative fever due to bacterial infection from fever due to noninfectious origin. ..
- Hartman C, Shamir R, Hecht C, Koletzko B. Malnutrition screening tools for hospitalized children. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2012;15:303-9 pubmed publisher..The near future will provide us with comparative data on the existing tools which may contribute to delineating a standard for useful nutrition screening in pediatrics. ..
- Atamna A, Yahav D, Eliakim Raz N, Goldberg E, Ben Zvi H, Barsheshet A, et al. The effect of statins on the outcome of Clostridium difficile infection in hospitalized patients. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:779-84 pubmed publisher..Our study showed that concomitant statin use has no significant impact on short-term mortality, CDI severity and its complications. ..
- Benke G, Turner M, Fleming S, Figuerola J, Kincl L, Richardson L, et al. Occupational solvent exposure and risk of glioma in the INTEROCC study. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:1246-1254 pubmed publisher..0 for specific solvents/subgroups. There were no increases in risk according to high or low grade of tumour. The results of this study show no consistent associations for any solvent exposures overall or by grade of tumour. ..
- Melamed N, Yariv O, Hiersch L, Wiznitzer A, Meizner I, Yogev Y. Labor induction with prostaglandin E2: characteristics of response and prediction of failure. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2013;26:132-6 pubmed publisher..Overall, most women who eventually respond to PGE2 do so following the first two applications of PGE2, and the contribution of subsequent applications is relatively small and related to cervical status at admission. ..
- Inbal A, Freimark D, Modan B, Chetrit A, Matetzky S, Rosenberg N, et al. Synergistic effects of prothrombotic polymorphisms and atherogenic factors on the risk of myocardial infarction in young males. Blood. 1999;93:2186-90 pubmed..7; 95% CI, 7.17 to 84.9). The presented data suggest a synergistic effect between atherogenic and thrombogenic risk factors in the pathogenesis of AMI, as was recently found in a similar cohort of women. ..
- Segal N, Givon Lavi N, Leibovitz E, Yagupsky P, Leiberman A, Dagan R. Acute otitis media caused by Streptococcus pyogenes in children. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;41:35-41 pubmed
- Ram R, Bonstein L, Gafter Gvili A, Ben Bassat I, Shpilberg O, Raanani P. Rituximab-associated acute thrombocytopenia: an under-diagnosed phenomenon. Am J Hematol. 2009;84:247-50 pubmed publisher..Patients with potential risk factors like splenomegaly and bone marrow involvement, who develop clinical manifestations compatible with cytokine release syndrome, should be closely monitored for rituximab-associated cytopenia. ..
- Wolf R, Wolf D. Abnormal epidermal barrier in the pathogenesis of atopic dermatitis. Clin Dermatol. 2012;30:329-34 pubmed publisher..Deployment of specific strategies to restore the barrier function in AD means the use of moisturizers as first-line therapy. ..
- Rosenbloom T, Sapir Lavid Y, Perlman A. Risk factors in road crossing among elderly pedestrians and readiness to adopt safe behavior in socio-economic comparison. Accid Anal Prev. 2016;93:23-31 pubmed publisher..Moreover, elderly pedestrians in Beer Sheva compared to those in Tel Aviv estimated their ability to cross safely the streets as higher. ..
- Shapira Galitz Y, Shoffel Havakuk H, Cohen O, Halperin D, Lahav Y. Adult acute supraglottitis: Analysis of 358 patients for predictors of airway intervention. Laryngoscope. 2017;127:2106-2112 pubmed publisher..4 Laryngoscope, 127:2106-2112, 2017. ..
- Rosenberg N, Zivelin A, Chetrit A, Dardik R, Kornbrot N, Freimark D, et al. Effects of platelet membrane glycoprotein polymorphisms on the risk of myocardial infarction in young males. Isr Med Assoc J. 2002;4:411-4 pubmed..Smoking alone was associated with a 9.97-fold risk, and the presence of at least one metabolic risk factor resulted in a 2.57-fold risk of AMI. The platelet glycoproteins polymorphisms studied are not an independent risk factor for AMI. ..
- Paz Elizur T, Krupsky M, Blumenstein S, Elinger D, Schechtman E, Livneh Z. DNA repair activity for oxidative damage and risk of lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003;95:1312-9 pubmed..Although prospective studies are needed to validate the results, they suggest that smoking cessation in individuals with reduced OGG activity might be an effective strategy in lung cancer prevention. ..
- Buber T, Saragusty J, Ranen E, Epstein A, Bdolah Abram T, Bruchim Y. Evaluation of lidocaine treatment and risk factors for death associated with gastric dilatation and volvulus in dogs: 112 cases (1997-2005). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2007;230:1334-9 pubmed..4 days). Presence of the identified risk factors should warrant aggressive treatment. Lidocaine treatment was not associated with mortality rate or postoperative complications, but was associated with prolonged hospitalization time. ..
- Vilkin A, Levi Z, Morgenstern S, Shmuely H, Gal E, Hadad B, et al. Higher gastric mucin secretion and lower gastric acid output in first-degree relatives of gastric cancer patients. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2008;42:36-41 pubmed..In patients with relatives with gastric cancer, H. pylori infection is associated with a more severe inflammatory reaction consisting of decreased gastric acid secretion and increased mucin secretion. ..
- Steiner N, Weintraub A, Wiznitzer A, Sergienko R, Sheiner E. Episiotomy: the final cut?. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2012;286:1369-73 pubmed publisher..Prophylactic use of episiotomy in these conditions does not seem beneficial if performed to prevent 3rd or 4th degree perineal tears. ..
- Rissling M, Gray K, Ulmer C, Martin J, Zaslavsky O, Gray S, et al. Sleep Disturbance, Diabetes, and Cardiovascular Disease in Postmenopausal Veteran Women. Gerontologist. 2016;56 Suppl 1:S54-66 pubmed publisher..Increased awareness of women Veterans' vulnerability to postmenopausal insomnia + SDB may be particularly important for health care providers who treat this population. ..
- Salomon O, Huna Baron R, Moisseiev J, Rosenberg N, Rubovitz A, Steinberg D, et al. Thrombophilia as a cause for central and branch retinal artery occlusion in patients without an apparent embolic source. Eye (Lond). 2001;15:511-4 pubmed..63-8.88), but this value did not reach significance, probably due to the small sample size. A search for thrombophilia in RAO is advisable in patients without evident source of emboli even when vascular risk factors are identified. ..
- Meshulam Derazon S, Nachumovsky S, Ad El D, Sulkes J, Hauben D. Prediction of morbidity and mortality on admission to a burn unit. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006;118:116-20 pubmed..The formulas presented by the authors explain a considerable percentage of the probability of morbidity in burn victims. The authors suggest that other burn units develop their own statistically supported prediction models. ..
- Gottfried R, Lev Wiesel R, Hallak M, Lang Franco N. Inter-relationships between sexual abuse, female sexual function and childbirth. Midwifery. 2015;31:1087-95 pubmed publisher..Recommendations for future research are presented and discussed. ..
- Weiss A, Beck Fruchter R, Golan J, Lavee M, Geslevich Y, Shalev E. Ectopic pregnancy risk factors for ART patients undergoing the GnRH antagonist protocol: a retrospective study. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2016;14:12 pubmed publisher..Further studies should elucidate whether adjusting the luteal support can reduce the ectopic pregnancy risk. ..
- Lieberman D, Lieberman D, Ben Yaakov M, Shmarkov O, Gelfer Y, Varshavsky R, et al. Serological evidence of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection in acute exacerbation of COPD. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2002;44:1-6 pubmed..The vast majority of clinical characteristics are the same in patients with and without serologic evidence of infection with Mp. The practical implications of these findings should be clarified in further studies. ..
- Yagev Y, Gringolds M, Karakis I, Carel R. Carpal tunnel syndrome: under-recognition of occupational risk factors by clinicians. Ind Health. 2007;45:820-2 pubmed..08-11.47). By improving the awareness of clinicians (and patients) to the possible role of work-related factors in the etiology of CTS, appropriate preventive measures can be introduced in order to reduce the burden of this syndrome. ..
- Nussinovitch U, Katz U, Nussinovitch M, Nussinovitch N. Late ventricular potentials and QT dispersion in familial dysautonomia. Pediatr Cardiol. 2009;30:747-51 pubmed publisher..All late potential parameters were within normal range in both groups. In conclusion, patients with familial dysautonomia commonly have electrocardiographic abnormalities and may be at a higher risk for adverse cardiac events...
- Miron D, Grossman Z. [The diagnosis and therapy of first community acquired urinary tract infection in children]. Harefuah. 2009;148:778-82, 792, 791 pubmed..Cephlexin is recommended for cystitis. ..
- Saliba W, Barnett Griness O, Elias M, Rennert G. Glycated hemoglobin and risk of first episode stroke in diabetic patients with atrial fibrillation: A cohort study. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:886-92 pubmed publisher..604 when glycated hemoglobin was included in the model (P = .038). Glycated hemoglobin is directly associated with stroke risk, and it improves the predictive accuracy for stroke in diabetic patients with atrial fibrillation. ..
- Levi A, Landes U, Assali A, Orvin K, Sharony R, Vaknin Assa H, et al. Long-Term Outcomes of 560 Consecutive Patients Treated With Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation and Propensity Score-Matched Analysis of Early- Versus New-Generation Valves. Am J Cardiol. 2017;119:1821-1831 pubmed publisher..Intermediate- and long-term hemodynamics are excellent. PVL has diminished significantly with the new-generation valves. Efforts to improve long- and short-term outcomes remain a therapeutic challenge. ..
- Oron Y, Shemesh S, Shushan S, Cinamon U, Goldfarb A, Dabby R, et al. Cardiovascular Risk Factors Among Patients With Vestibular Neuritis. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2017;126:597-601 pubmed publisher..119). There may be a possible interrelation between CVRFs and VN. This correlation can be caused by occlusion of small blood vessels leading to labyrinthine ischemia and apparition of symptoms of VN. ..
- Shoham I, Wiznitzer A, Silberstein T, Fraser D, Holcberg G, Katz M, et al. Gestational diabetes complicated by hydramnios was not associated with increased risk of perinatal morbidity and mortality. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2001;100:46-9 pubmed..Hydramnios in women with GDM was not associated with increased risk of perinatal morbidity and mortality. ..
- Weinberger M, Sweet S, Leibovici L, Pitlik S, Samra Z. Correlation between candiduria and departmental antibiotic use. J Hosp Infect. 2003;53:183-6 pubmed..These results add an important new dimension to the strategy of restricting broad-spectrum antibiotics. ..
- Levy A, Fraser D, Katz M, Mazor M, Sheiner E. Maternal anemia during pregnancy is an independent risk factor for low birthweight and preterm delivery. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2005;122:182-6 pubmed..2; 95% CI 1.1-1.2, p < 0.001) and low birthweight (OR = 1.1; 95% CI 1.1-1.2, p = 0.001). Maternal anemia influences birthweight and preterm delivery, but in our population, is not associated with adverse perinatal outcome. ..
- Babkin Y, Raveh D, Lifschitz M, Itzchaki M, Wiener Well Y, Kopuit P, et al. Incidence and risk factors for surgical infection after total knee replacement. Scand J Infect Dis. 2007;39:890-5 pubmed..In a prospective survey performed 2 y later only 1/45 patients (2.2%) undergoing TKR developed a superficial SSI (p = 0.5). Correction of independent risk factors for infection following TKR led to a decrease in SSI rate. ..
- Hershko C, Skikne B. Pathogenesis and management of iron deficiency anemia: emerging role of celiac disease, helicobacter pylori, and autoimmune gastritis. Semin Hematol. 2009;46:339-50 pubmed publisher..Improved understanding of the role of abnormal iron absorption in IDA has important implications for current concepts related to the pathogenesis and management of IDA. ..
- Oksenberg A, Arons E, Nasser K, Shneor O, Radwan H, Silverberg D. Severe obstructive sleep apnea: sleepy versus nonsleepy patients. Laryngoscope. 2010;120:643-8 pubmed publisher..Sleepy patients have worse sleep-related breathing parameters, and their sleep patterns are lighter and more fragmented than nonsleepy patients. Apnea index appears as an important prognostic factor for excessive daytime sleepiness. ..
- Lev Wiesel R, Daphna Tekoah S. The role of peripartum dissociation as a predictor of posttraumatic stress symptoms following childbirth in Israeli Jewish women. J Trauma Dissociation. 2010;11:266-83 pubmed publisher..Such practices are likely to decrease peripartum dissociation, which may in turn lessen postpartum PTS symptoms. ..
- Shimoni A, Avivi I, Rowe J, Yeshurun M, Levi I, Or R, et al. A randomized study comparing yttrium-90 ibritumomab tiuxetan (Zevalin) and high-dose BEAM chemotherapy versus BEAM alone as the conditioning regimen before autologous stem cell transplantation in patients with aggressive lymphoma. Cancer. 2012;118:4706-14 pubmed publisher..1 (P = .01). Standard-dose ibritumomab tiuxetan combined with BEAM high-dose chemotherapy is safe and possibly more effective than BEAM alone as a conditioning regimen for ASCT in the era of rituximab-containing chemotherapy regimens. ..
- Nitzan O, Elias M, Chazan B, Raz R, Saliba W. Clostridium difficile and inflammatory bowel disease: role in pathogenesis and implications in treatment. World J Gastroenterol. 2013;19:7577-85 pubmed publisher..The aim of this paper is to review recent data on CDI in IBD: role in pathogenesis, diagnostic methods, optional treatments, and outcomes of these patients. ..
- Bogdanov Berezovsky A, Cohen A, Glesinger R, Cagnano E, Krieger Y, Rosenberg L. Risk factors for incomplete excision of basal cell carcinomas. Acta Derm Venereol. 2004;84:44-7 pubmed..We recommend that in patients with BCCs located in these sites, surgeons should commence particular surgical measures to avoid inadequate excisions of the tumors...
- Gayer G, Hertz M, Zissin R. Postoperative pneumoperitoneum: prevalence, duration, and possible significance. Semin Ultrasound CT MR. 2004;25:286-9 pubmed..This review discusses factors influencing the prevalence of PP and its range of duration. ..
- Lahat A, Menachem Y, Avidan B, Yanai H, Sakhnini E, Bardan E, et al. Diverticulitis in the young patient--is it different ?. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12:2932-5 pubmed..To prospectively study the incidence and the natural history of acute diverticulitis in young patients...
- Bashiri A, Burstein E, Rosen S, Smolin A, Sheiner E, Mazor M. Clinical significance of uterine scar dehiscence in women with previous cesarean delivery: prevalence and independent risk factors. J Reprod Med. 2008;53:8-14 pubmed..Preterm delivery, nonprogress of labor during the first stage and number of previous CDs were found to be independent risk factors for uterine scar dehiscence. In contrast, parity had a protective effect against dehiscence. ..
- Melzer I, Elbar O, Tsedek I, Oddsson L. A water-based training program that include perturbation exercises to improve stepping responses in older adults: study protocol for a randomized controlled cross-over trial. BMC Geriatr. 2008;8:19 pubmed publisher..Results will help guide the development of more cost-effective interventions that can prevent the occurrence of falls in the elderly. ..
- Cohen M, Lahat E, Bistritzer T, Livne A, Heyman E, Rachmiel M. Evidence-based review of bone strength in children and youth with cerebral palsy. J Child Neurol. 2009;24:959-67 pubmed publisher..Evidence demonstrates reduced bone mass in children with cerebral palsy; yet, no clear association with fractures. Preventive methods are suggested. ..
- Kaplan G, Glasser S, Murad H, Atamna A, Alpert G, Goldbourt U, et al. Depression among Arabs and Jews in Israel: a population-based study. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2010;45:931-9 pubmed publisher..After adjusting for all variables in the analysis, no significant association remained between ethnicity and depression (OR = 0.80; 95% CI = 0.45-1.40). ..
- Anekstein Y, Smorgick Y, Lotan R, Agar G, Shalmon E, Floman Y, et al. Diabetes mellitus as a risk factor for the development of lumbar spinal stenosis. Isr Med Assoc J. 2010;12:16-20 pubmed..There is an association between diabetes and lumbar spinal stenosis. Diabetes mellitus may be a predisposing factor for the development of lumbar spinal stenosis. ..
- Ohana O, Holcberg G, Sergienko R, Sheiner E. Risk factors for intrauterine fetal death (1988-2009). J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2011;24:1079-83 pubmed publisher..Other pathologic conditions that facilitate tighter pregnancy surveillance and active management were found protective, pointing the benefit of such management approaches in high-risk pregnancies. ..
- Gafter Gvili A, Mansur N, Bivas A, Zemer Wassercug N, Bishara J, Leibovici L, et al. Thrombocytopenia in Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: risk factors and prognostic importance. Mayo Clin Proc. 2011;86:389-96 pubmed publisher..88; 95% CI, 1.87-4.45.). We observed a strong association between thrombocytopenia at sepsis onset and all-cause mortality in S aureus bacteremia, possibly related to mechanisms other than sepsis alone. ..
- JÃ¸rgensen R, Levitan J, Halevi Z, Puzanov N, AbildstrÃ¸m S, Messier M, et al. Heart rate variability density analysis (Dyx) for identification of appropriate implantable cardioverter defibrillator recipients among elderly patients with acute myocardial infarction and left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Europace. 2015;17:1848-54 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier NCT00145119. ..
- Goshen R, Mizrahi B, Akiva P, Kinar Y, Choman E, Shalev V, et al. Predicting the presence of colon cancer in members of a health maintenance organisation by evaluating analytes from standard laboratory records. Br J Cancer. 2017;116:944-950 pubmed publisher..3 (95% CI: 6.3-8.5) for men and was 7.8 (95% CI: 6.7-9.1) for women. Information taken from routine blood tests can be used to predict the risk of being diagnosed with CRC in the near future. ..
- Israel A, Grossman E. Elevated High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Is Associated with Hyponatremia in Hypertensive Patients. Am J Med. 2017;130:1324.e7-1324.e13 pubmed publisher..5; 95% CI, 1.7-3.7; P <.001). Elevated HDL-C (≥62 mg/dL) is a risk factor for hyponatremia. Thus, hypertensive patients with elevated HDL-C should be closely monitored for hyponatremia when treated for hypertension. ..
- Colodner R, Rock W, Chazan B, Keller N, Guy N, Sakran W, et al. Risk factors for the development of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing bacteria in nonhospitalized patients. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2004;23:163-7 pubmed..8, 95%CI, 1.7-143), previous use of second-generation cephalosporins (P<0.0001, OR=10.1, 95%CI, 4.2-24), previous use of quinolones (P=0.001, OR=4.1, 95%CI, 1.8-9.0), and previous use of penicillin (P=0.003, OR=4.0, 95%CI, 1.6-9.0). ..
- Aroch I, Yas Natan E, Kuzi S, Segev G. Haemostatic abnormalities and clinical findings in Vipera palaestinae-envenomed dogs. Vet J. 2010;185:180-7 pubmed publisher..The results show that hypercoagulability, consumption and derangement of haemostasis are common in Vp-envenomed dogs and are associated with mortality. Haemostasis should be closely monitored in such dogs. ..
- Barski L, Nevzorov R, Rabaev E, Jotkowitz A, Harman Boehm I, Zektser M, et al. Diabetic ketoacidosis: clinical characteristics, precipitating factors and outcomes of care. Isr Med Assoc J. 2012;14:299-303 pubmed..The most common precipitating factors for the development of DKA were related to insulin therapy and infections. Advanced age, mechanical ventilation and bedridden state wer independent predictors of 30 day mortality. ..
- LaCroix A, Rillamas Sun E, Woods N, WEITLAUF J, Zaslavsky O, Shih R, et al. Aging Well Among Women Veterans Compared With Non-Veterans in the Women's Health Initiative. Gerontologist. 2016;56 Suppl 1:S14-26 pubmed publisher..Intervening upon smoking, low physical activity, obesity, and depressive symptoms has potential to improve chances for healthy survival in older women including Veterans. ..
- Lieberman D. Atypical pathogens in community-acquired pneumonia. Clin Chest Med. 1999;20:489-97 pubmed..The accepted therapy today for atypical pathogen CAP, which is based on erythromycin, will probably be changed in the near future in favor of the new generations of fluoroquinolone or the new macrolide preparations...
- Leitner Dagan Y, Sevilya Z, Pinchev M, Kramer R, Elinger D, Roisman L, et al. N-methylpurine DNA glycosylase and OGG1 DNA repair activities: opposite associations with lung cancer risk. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012;104:1765-9 pubmed publisher..3 (95% CI = 1.4 to 3.6; P < .001). These results form a basis for a future panel of risk biomarkers for lung cancer risk assessment and prevention. ..
- Dahan S, Tomljenovic L, Shoenfeld Y. Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS)--A novel member of the autoimmune family. Lupus. 2016;25:339-42 pubmed publisher..Many of these POTS-related symptoms are also observed in chronic anxiety and panic disorders, and therefore POTS is frequently under- and misdiagnosed. ..
- Shechter M, Issachar A, Marai I, Koren Morag N, Freinark D, Shahar Y, et al. Long-term association of brachial artery flow-mediated vasodilation and cardiovascular events in middle-aged subjects with no apparent heart disease. Int J Cardiol. 2009;134:52-8 pubmed publisher..70 and 95% CI 1.16 to 6.32 (p=0.011)]. Brachial artery median FMD independently predicts long-term adverse cardiovascular events in healthy subjects in addition to traditional risk factor assessment. ..
- Kanner J. Dietary advanced lipid oxidation endproducts are risk factors to human health. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2007;51:1094-101 pubmed..This could explains the health benefit of diets containing large amounts of dietary antioxidants such those present in fruits and vegetables, or products such as red-wine or tea consuming during the meal. ..
- Braun S, Boyko V, Behar S, Reicher Reiss H, Laniado S, Kaplinsky E, et al. Calcium channel blocking agents and risk of cancer in patients with coronary heart disease. Benzafibrate Infarction Prevention (BIP) Study Research Group. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1998;31:804-8 pubmed..This analysis provides a certain assurance that CCB use in middle-aged and elderly patients with CHD is not associated with a meaningful difference in cancer incidence and related mortality. ..
- Bashiri A, Zmora E, Sheiner E, Hershkovitz R, Shoham Vardi I, Mazor M. Maternal hypertensive disorders are an independent risk factor for the development of necrotizing enterocolitis in very low birth weight infants. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2003;18:404-7 pubmed..21, 95% CI 1.64-16.58). Maternal hypertension is an independent risk factor for the development of NEC in preterm neonates weighing <1,500 g. Thus, maternal vascular disorders may play an important role in the pathophysiology of NEC. ..
- Plakht Y, Gilutz H, Shiyovich A. Temporal trends in acute myocardial infarction: What about survival of hospital survivors? Disparities between STEMI & NSTEMI remain. Soroka acute myocardial infarction II (SAMI-II) project. Int J Cardiol. 2016;203:1073-81 pubmed publisher..However, adjusted post-discharge mortality rates increased significantly with time. Measures for improving incidence and outcomes of AMI patients focusing on NSTEMI and hospital-survivors are warranted. ..
- Shalev A, Tuval Mashiach R, Hadar H. Posttraumatic stress disorder as a result of mass trauma. J Clin Psychiatry. 2004;65 Suppl 1:4-10 pubmed..There is a great unmet need for treatment and intervention guidelines for victims of mass trauma, and well-designed studies are warranted. ..
- Hodak E, Feuerman H, Barzilai A, David M, Cerroni L, Feinmesser M. Anetodermic primary cutaneous B-cell lymphoma: a unique clinicopathological presentation of lymphoma possibly associated with antiphospholipid antibodies. Arch Dermatol. 2010;146:175-82 pubmed publisher..This type of secondary anetoderma, like primary anetoderma, might be associated with immunologic disorders, particularly antiphospholipid antibodies. ..
- Horowitz R, Kotler M, Shufman E, Aharoni S, Kremer I, Cohen H, et al. Confirmation of an excess of the high enzyme activity COMT val allele in heroin addicts in a family-based haplotype relative risk study. Am J Med Genet. 2000;96:599-603 pubmed..9, P = 0.019, df = 2, n = 1,422 alleles) suggesting that population stratification is responsible for our failure to observe an excess of the COMT val allele when using the case-control design. ..
- Shahar D, Yu B, Houston D, Kritchevsky S, Lee J, Rubin S, et al. Dietary factors in relation to daily activity energy expenditure and mortality among older adults. J Nutr Health Aging. 2009;13:414-20 pubmed..These findings may have some practical use for the health providers. Inclusion of a question regarding appetite of an elderly patient may provide important information regarding risk for health deterioration and mortality. ..
- Parnas M, Sheiner E, Shoham Vardi I, Burstein E, Yermiahu T, Levi I, et al. Moderate to severe thrombocytopenia during pregnancy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2006;128:163-8 pubmed..Special attention should be given to patients with thrombocytopenia due to preeclampsia, HELLP syndrome, and rarer causes during pregnancy. ..
- Koren A, Zalman L, Palmor H, Zamir R, Levin C, Openheim A, et al. Sickle cell anemia in northern Israel: screening and prevention. Isr Med Assoc J. 2009;11:229-34 pubmed..5%), the added cost for the prevention of SCA is less significant despite the low incidence of the S gene in our population, namely < 1%. ..
- Feinstein U, Sheiner E, Levy A, Hallak M, Mazor M. Risk factors for arrest of descent during the second stage of labor. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2002;77:7-14 pubmed..These risk factors should be carefully evaluated during pregnancy in order to actively manage high-risk pregnancies. ..
- Sayfan J. Complications of Milligan-Morgan hemorrhoidectomy. Dig Surg. 2001;18:131-3 pubmed..The problems of early and delayed bleeding, anal verge and mucosal stenosis, pain and prolonged healing due to persistent anal ulcer are discussed ..
- Zaidenstein R, Peretz C, Nissan I, Reisfeld A, Yaron S, Agmon V, et al. The epidemiology of extraintestinal non-typhoid Salmonella in Israel: the effects of patients' age and sex. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2010;29:1103-9 pubmed publisher..The study revealed a complex effect of patients' age and sex on the epidemiology of extraintestinal NTS manifestations. ..