Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on rheumatoid arthritis in Germany
Topic: rheumatoid arthritis
- Kruger T, Niedermanner I, Hube R, Hein W. [Recurrence of Baker's cysts with regard to operation procedure and intraarticular pathology]. Zentralbl Chir. 2002;127:905-8 pubmed..Especially in cases with intraarticular pathological symptoms arthroscopy should precede each cyst exstirpation. With regard to the frequency of recurrence, the patients' expectation should be preoperatively objectified...
- Korb A, Pavenstadt H, Pap T. Cell death in rheumatoid arthritis. Apoptosis. 2009;14:447-54 pubmed publisher..This review summarises our recent progress in understanding aberrant apoptosis in the RA synovial membrane and points to possibilities of intervening specifically with this aspect of the pathogenesis of RA. ..
- Bruns H, Meinken C, Schauenberg P, Härter G, Kern P, Modlin R, et al. Anti-TNF immunotherapy reduces CD8+ T cell-mediated antimicrobial activity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis in humans. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:1167-77 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis, providing insight into the mechanism whereby key effector T cell subsets contribute to host defense against tuberculosis. ..
- Straub R, Weidler C, Demmel B, Herrmann M, Kees F, Schmidt M, et al. Renal clearance and daily excretion of cortisol and adrenal androgens in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann Rheum Dis. 2004;63:961-8 pubmed..Decreased adrenal production or increased conversion or conjugation to downstream hormones are the most likely causes of inadequately low serum levels of adrenal hormones in RA and SLE. ..
- Schett G, Firestein G. Mr Outside and Mr Inside: classic and alternative views on the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:787-9 pubmed publisher..The authors discuss these two fundamentally different viewpoints on the pathogenesis of arthritis, each one of which bears attractive explanations for the mystery of the pathogenesis of arthritis. ..
- Meinecke I, Cinski A, Baier A, Peters M, Dankbar B, Wille A, et al. Modification of nuclear PML protein by SUMO-1 regulates Fas-induced apoptosis in rheumatoid arthritis synovial fibroblasts. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:5073-8 pubmed..Accumulation of DAXX in PML NBs by SUMO-1 may, therefore, contribute to the pathogenesis of inflammatory disorders. ..
- Augustin M, Reich K, Glaeske G, Schaefer I, Radtke M. Co-morbidity and age-related prevalence of psoriasis: Analysis of health insurance data in Germany. Acta Derm Venereol. 2010;90:147-51 pubmed publisher..8), Crohn's disease (PR 2.1) and ulcerative colitis (PR 2.0) were also increased among patients with psoriasis. In conclusion, psoriasis is associated with significant co-morbidities that imply an elevated risk of severe complications. ..
- Skriner K, Hueber W, Süleymanoglu E, Höfler E, Krenn V, Smolen J, et al. AUF1, the regulator of tumor necrosis factor alpha messenger RNA decay, is targeted by autoantibodies of patients with systemic rheumatic diseases. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:511-20 pubmed publisher..Because AUF1 proteins are major components of messenger RNA stability complexes, our findings suggest that these complexes form a novel macromolecular target structure for autoantibodies in rheumatic autoimmune diseases. ..
- Bollinger T, Bollinger A, Naujoks J, Lange T, Solbach W. The influence of regulatory T cells and diurnal hormone rhythms on T helper cell activity. Immunology. 2010;131:488-500 pubmed publisher..Highly purified nTreg secreted IL-6, IL-10 and IL-17A, but not IL-2, IL-4, IFN-? or TNF-?. Taken together, our results demonstrate that hormones and nTreg modulate the diurnal rhythm of T helper cell activity. ..
- Weigert A, Weis N, Brüne B. Regulation of macrophage function by sphingosine-1-phosphate. Immunobiology. 2009;214:748-60 pubmed publisher..Here, we summarize the current knowledge of the function of S1P in macrophage biology and discuss potential implications for pathology. ..
- Neumann E, Kullmann F, Judex M, Jüsten H, Wessinghage D, Gay S, et al. Identification of differentially expressed genes in rheumatoid arthritis by a combination of complementary DNA array and RNA arbitrarily primed-polymerase chain reaction. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;46:52-63 pubmed..Our results show that RAP-PCR combined with cDNA arrays is a suitable method for identifying differentially expressed genes in rheumatoid synovial fibroblasts, using very small amounts of RNA. ..
- Miller L, Grifka J, Scholmerich J, Straub R. Norepinephrine from synovial tyrosine hydroxylase positive cells is a strong indicator of synovial inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2002;29:427-35 pubmed..NE secretion of TH+ cells may be an antiinflammatory mechanism to counteract local inflammation. Thus, TH+ cell derived NE can be an important local factor of immunomodulation in synovial inflammation. ..
- Burkhardt H, Kalden J. Animal models of autoimmune diseases. Rheumatol Int. 1997;17:91-9 pubmed..Finally, the experimental models are valuable tools to develop rational immunotherapeutic strategies. Interesting features of some of the models employed for such research will be introduced in this review. ..
- Hübener C, Mincheva A, Lichter P, Schraven B, Bruyns E. Genomic organization and chromosomal localization of the human gene encoding the T-cell receptor-interacting molecule (TRIM). Immunogenetics. 2000;51:154-8 pubmed
- Skriner K, Adolph K, Jungblut P, Burmester G. Association of citrullinated proteins with synovial exosomes. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;54:3809-14 pubmed
- Haerter G, Manfras B, de Jong Hesse Y, Wilts H, Mertens T, Kern P, et al. Cytomegalovirus retinitis in a patient treated with anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha antibody therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;39:e88-94 pubmed..Increased rates of upper respiratory tract infection, reactivation of latent tuberculosis, and other systemic infectious diseases have been reported among patients receiving anti-TNF- alpha antibodies...
- Harangi M, Kaminski W, Fleck M, Orso E, Zeher M, Kiss E, et al. Homozygosity for the 168His variant of the minor histocompatibility antigen HA-1 is associated with reduced risk of primary Sjögren's syndrome. Eur J Immunol. 2005;35:305-17 pubmed..Our results suggest that the HA-1 168His variant is associated with reduced susceptibility to primary Sjögren's syndrome...
- Berger I, Weckauf H, Helmchen B, Ehemann V, Penzel R, Fink B, et al. Rheumatoid arthritis and pigmented villonodular synovitis: comparative analysis of cell polyploidy, cell cycle phases and expression of macrophage and fibroblast markers in proliferating synovial cells. Histopathology. 2005;46:490-7 pubmed..The present study aims to define cell cycle phases, polyploidy and the immunophenotype of proliferating synovial cells in both diseases...
- Hoppe B, Häupl T, Gruber R, Kiesewetter H, Burmester G, Salama A, et al. Detailed analysis of the variability of peptidylarginine deiminase type 4 in German patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a case-control study. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006;8:R34 pubmed..Quantitative or qualitative differences in previously undefined PADI4 variants between patients and controls could not be demonstrated. ..
- Reize P, Leichtle C, Leichtle U, Schanbacher J. Long-term results after metatarsal head resection in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Foot Ankle Int. 2006;27:586-90 pubmed
- Taubert D, Lazar A, Grimberg G, Jung N, Rubbert A, Delank K, et al. Association of rheumatoid arthritis with ergothioneine levels in red blood cells: a case control study. J Rheumatol. 2006;33:2139-45 pubmed..936, p < 0.001) and OCTN1 mRNA levels (R2 = 0.946, p < 0.001) in CD14+ cells. Mildly active cases of RA are associated with an unexplained high level of ET in red blood cells. ..
- Diarra D, Stolina M, Polzer K, Zwerina J, Ominsky M, Dwyer D, et al. Dickkopf-1 is a master regulator of joint remodeling. Nat Med. 2007;13:156-63 pubmed..We identified tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF) as a key inducer of DKK-1 in the mouse inflammatory arthritis model and in human rheumatoid arthritis. These results suggest that the Wnt pathway is a key regulator of joint remodeling. ..
- Schmiegel A, Rosenbaum D, Schorat A, Hilker A, Gaubitz M. Assessment of foot impairment in rheumatoid arthritis patients by dynamic pedobarography. Gait Posture. 2008;27:110-4 pubmed..In patients with foot involvement, pedobarographic measurements can be useful during the earlier stages of the disease, when clinical examination does not yet indicate the need for more aggressive treatment or orthopedic interventions. ..
- Pohlers D, Beyer A, Koczan D, Wilhelm T, Thiesen H, Kinne R. Constitutive upregulation of the transforming growth factor-beta pathway in rheumatoid arthritis synovial fibroblasts. Arthritis Res Ther. 2007;9:R59 pubmed
- Abe K, Wechs S, Kalaydjiev S, Franz T, Busch D, Fuchs H, et al. Novel lymphocyte-independent mechanisms to initiate inflammatory arthritis via bone marrow-derived cells of Ali18 mutant mice. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2008;47:292-300 pubmed publisher..Ali18 mice may thus represent a model to study mechanisms involved in seronegative arthritis induced by cells of the innate immune system. ..
- del Rey A, Wolff C, Wildmann J, Randolf A, Hahnel A, Besedovsky H, et al. Disrupted brain-immune system-joint communication during experimental arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:3090-9 pubmed publisher..We also studied whether depletion of hypothalamic noradrenaline can affect peripheral joint disease...
- Kolb C, Mauch S, Peter H, Krawinkel U, Sedlacek R. The matrix metalloproteinase RASI-1 is expressed in synovial blood vessels of a rheumatoid arthritis patient. Immunol Lett. 1997;57:83-8 pubmed..RASI-1, although its function and substrates are unknown, could be involved in processes such as neovascularization and angiogenesis or lymphocyte extravasation and thus may participate in joint tissue destruction during RA. ..
- Schulze Tanzil G, de S, Behnke B, Klingelhoefer S, Scheid A, Shakibaei M. Effects of the antirheumatic remedy hox alpha--a new stinging nettle leaf extract--on matrix metalloproteinases in human chondrocytes in vitro. Histol Histopathol. 2002;17:477-85 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the monosubstance 13-HOTrE is one of the more active antiinflammatory substances in Hox alpha and that Hox alpha may be a promising remedy for therapy of inflammatory joint diseases...
- Schnarr S, Putschky N, Jendro M, Zeidler H, Hammer M, Kuipers J, et al. Chlamydia and Borrelia DNA in synovial fluid of patients with early undifferentiated oligoarthritis: results of a prospective study. Arthritis Rheum. 2001;44:2679-85 pubmed..Although the presence of bacterial DNA does not unequivocally prove its etiologic significance, we suggest that at least one-third of patients with UOA may have a form of ReA that involves asymptomatic primary infection. ..
- Paulsen F, Pufe T, Conradi L, Varoga D, Tsokos M, Papendieck J, et al. Antimicrobial peptides are expressed and produced in healthy and inflamed human synovial membranes. J Pathol. 2002;198:369-77 pubmed..However, caution is appropriate since defensins also promote fibrin formation and cell proliferation - key elements in joint infection. Clarification of the role of antimicrobial peptides in OA and RA will require further investigation. ..
- Sedlacek R, Mauch S, Kolb B, Schätzlein C, Eibel H, Peter H, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase MMP-19 (RASI-1) is expressed on the surface of activated peripheral blood mononuclear cells and is detected as an autoantigen in rheumatoid arthritis. Immunobiology. 1998;198:408-23 pubmed..The novel autoantigen MMP-19 thus could play a role in the pathological processes participating in RA-associated joint tissue destruction. ..
- Gobel D, Gratz S, von Rothkirch T, Becker W, Willert H. Radiosynoviorthesis with rhenium-186 in rheumatoid arthritis: a prospective study of three treatment regimens. Rheumatol Int. 1997;17:105-8 pubmed..Therefore, we recommend this treatment for articulosynovitis with the exception of severe forms, the latter because of the effective penetration range of rhenium-186...
- Kolb C, Mauch S, Krawinkel U, Sedlacek R. Matrix metalloproteinase-19 in capillary endothelial cells: expression in acutely, but not in chronically, inflamed synovium. Exp Cell Res. 1999;250:122-30 pubmed..The results strongly suggest the regulated induction of matrix metalloproteinase-19 in capillary endothelial cells during acute inflammation and hint at a role of MMP-19 in angiogenesis. ..
- Muller H, de Toledo F, Resch K. Fasting followed by vegetarian diet in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review. Scand J Rheumatol. 2001;30:1-10 pubmed..Thus, available evidence suggests that fasting followed by vegetarian diets might be useful in the treatment of RA. More randomised long-term studies are needed to confirm this view by methodologically convincing data. ..
- Merkesdal S, Ruof J, Huelsemann J, Schoeffski O, Maetzel A, Mau W, et al. Development of a matrix of cost domains in economic evaluation of rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2001;28:657-61 pubmed..A preliminary scheme to categorize cost assessment in rheumatic conditions is presented. The adoption of standards for economic evaluation would greatly facilitate national and international comparisons. ..
- Fuerst M, Fink B, Ruther W. The DUROM cup humeral surface replacement in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:1756-62 pubmed..The aim of this study was to evaluate the midterm results of the DUROM cup surface replacement for patients with rheumatoid arthritis affecting the glenohumeral joint...
- Schwab J, Illges H. Silencing of CD21 expression in synovial lymphocytes is independent of methylation of the CD21 promoter CpG island. Rheumatol Int. 2001;20:133-7 pubmed..While methylation is involved in silencing CD21 in early types of B lymphocytes, we found the CD21-CpG island to be demethylated in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and synovial fluid mononuclear cells of patient DNA. ..
- Assmann G, Koenig J, Pfreundschuh M, Epplen J, Kekow J, Roemer K, et al. Genetic variations in genes encoding RANK, RANKL, and OPG in rheumatoid arthritis: a case-control study. J Rheumatol. 2010;37:900-4 pubmed publisher..0092). No significantly increased risk was detected in the other SNP. The minor allele of the RANK SNP rs35211496 may be protective against RA, while the minor alleles of the RANKL SNP rs2277438 may increase susceptibility to RA. ..
- Wassmuth R, Wagner U. Prognostic use of human leukocyte antigen genotyping for rheumatoid arthritis susceptibility, disease course, and clinical stratification. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2002;28:17-37 pubmed..Lastly, disease and risk stratification based on HLA markers along with the elucidation of HLA-dependent mechanisms may facilitate the development of specific immunotherapy modalities...
- Franke A, Reiner L, Resch K. Long-term benefit of radon spa therapy in the rehabilitation of rheumatoid arthritis: a randomised, double-blinded trial. Rheumatol Int. 2007;27:703-13 pubmed..064, p(G x C) = 0.025) and NSAIDs (p(GME) = 0.035, p(G x C) = 0.008) were significantly reduced. The results suggest beneficial long-term effects of radon baths as adjunct to a multimodal rehabilitative treatment of RA...
- Berger I, Martens K, Meyer Scholten C. Rheumatoid necroses in the forefoot. Foot Ankle Int. 2004;25:336-9 pubmed..It was correlated with pain in 69% of cases. Rheumatoid necrosis contributes to the development of pain and foot deformation. It can be a significant factor worsening the clinical behavior in seropositive RA patients. ..
- Kehlen A, Thiele K, Riemann D, Langner J. Expression, modulation and signalling of IL-17 receptor in fibroblast-like synoviocytes of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Exp Immunol. 2002;127:539-46 pubmed..Our results support the hypothesis that IL-17/IL-17R may play a significant role in the pathogenesis of RA contributing to an unbalanced production of cytokines as well as participating in connective tissue remodelling. ..
- Riemekasten G, Weiss C, Schneider S, Thiel A, Bruns A, Schumann F, et al. T cell reactivity against the SmD1(83-119) C terminal peptide in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann Rheum Dis. 2002;61:779-85 pubmed..This strong T cell reactivity as well as the high frequency and specificity of anti-SmD1(83-119) antibodies in SLE suggest a possible role in SLE pathogenesis, at least in a subset of patients. ..
- Prots I, Skapenko A, Wendler J, Mattyasovszky S, Yoné C, Spriewald B, et al. Association of the IL4R single-nucleotide polymorphism I50V with rapidly erosive rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;54:1491-500 pubmed..Our data identify the I50V IL4R SNP as a novel genetic marker in RA, showing high predictive value for early joint destruction. ..
- Graessler J, Verlohren M, Graessler A, Zeissig A, Kuhlisch E, Kopprasch S, et al. Association of chondromodulin-II Val58Ile polymorphism with radiographic joint destruction in rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2005;32:1654-61 pubmed..Our data indicate that ChM-II Val58Ile polymorphism is associated with radiographic progression of joint destruction, particularly in German patients with RA negative for SE. ..
- Weis Klemm M, Alexander D, Pap T, Schützle H, Reyer D, Franz J, et al. Synovial fibroblasts from rheumatoid arthritis patients differ in their regulation of IL-16 gene activity in comparison to osteoarthritis fibroblasts. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2004;14:293-300 pubmed..The enhanced expression of IL-16 in the synovial membrane early in RA vs OA may be associated in part with these distinct signaling responses. ..
- Sinz A, Bantscheff M, Mikkat S, Ringel B, Drynda S, Kekow J, et al. Mass spectrometric proteome analyses of synovial fluids and plasmas from patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis and comparison to reactive arthritis or osteoarthritis. Electrophoresis. 2002;23:3445-56 pubmed
- Stuhlmuller B, Kunisch E, Franz J, Martinez Gamboa L, Hernandez M, Pruss A, et al. Detection of oncofetal h19 RNA in rheumatoid arthritis synovial tissue. Am J Pathol. 2003;163:901-11 pubmed
- Arndt U, Kaltwasser J, Gottschalk R, Hoelzer D, Moller B. Correction of iron-deficient erythropoiesis in the treatment of anemia of chronic disease with recombinant human erythropoietin. Ann Hematol. 2005;84:159-66 pubmed..Retrospective analysis of the evaluable parameters (CHr, sTrfR, and ZnPP) revealed no additional benefit for predicting or monitoring IDE in this setting, although the one or other may be advantageous in other therapeutic situations. ..
- Martin S, Kardorf J, Schulte B, Lampeter E, Gries F, Melchers I, et al. Autoantibodies to the islet antigen ICA69 occur in IDDM and in rheumatoid arthritis. Diabetologia. 1995;38:351-5 pubmed..The production of ICA69 antibodies was not associated in diabetic patients with the presence of any of the two other autoantibodies.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Zschabitz A, Gabius H, Zeng F, Kunt T, Martens K, Koepp H, et al. Detection of sarcolectin-specific receptors like the cytokine macrophage migration inhibitory factor in rheumatoid nodules. Histol Histopathol. 1999;14:771-7 pubmed publisher..The finding suggests that specific interactions between this endogenous lectin and MIF may be involved in the course of RA...
- Eichler W. CD97 isoform expression in leukocytes. J Leukoc Biol. 2000;68:561-7 pubmed..CD97 mRNA levels did not necessarily correspond to CD97 surface density. The findings suggest that adhesive activity of CD97 toward CD55 is unlikely to be regulated by differential CD97 isoform expression. ..
- Rau R, Herborn G, Zueger S, Fenner H. The effect of HLA-DRB1 genes, rheumatoid factor, and treatment on radiographic disease progression in rheumatoid arthritis over 6 years. J Rheumatol. 2000;27:2566-75 pubmed..Our data do not provide evidence for a more aggressive disease course in patients bearing double RA linked HLA-DRB1 alleles. ..
- Rittmeister M, Kerschbaumer F. Grammont reverse total shoulder arthroplasty in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and nonreconstructible rotator cuff lesions. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2001;10:17-22 pubmed..However, glenoid loosening remained a serious problem, and transacromial approaches were complicated by failure of acromial fixation...
- Hoppe B, Haupl T, Egerer K, Gruber R, Kiesewetter H, Salama A, et al. Influence of peptidylarginine deiminase type 4 genotype and shared epitope on clinical characteristics and autoantibody profile of rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2009;68:898-903 pubmed publisher..20, p(adj)<0.04; SE+: OR(adj) = 0.36, p(adj) = 0.02) and significant heterogeneity between the two SE strata (p = 0.006). PADI4 genotype in combination with anti-CCPs and SE modulates clinical and serological characteristics of RA. ..
- Usichenko T, Ivashkivsky O, Gizhko V. Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with electromagnetic millimeter waves applied to acupuncture points--a randomized double blind clinical study. Acupunct Electrother Res. 2003;28:11-8 pubmed..Patients from group III reported the changes of pain and joint stiffness only after real MW sessions. After further large-scale clinical investigations MWT may become a non-invasive adjunct in therapy of patients with RA. ..
- Blaschke S, Schulz H, Schwarz G, Blaschke V, Muller G, Reuss Borst M. Interleukin 16 expression in relation to disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2001;28:12-21 pubmed
- Goertz B, Fassbender W, Williams J, Marzeion A, Bretzel R, Stracke H, et al. Vitamin D receptor genotypes are not associated with rheumatoid arthritis or biochemical parameters of bone turnover in German RA patients. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2003;21:333-9 pubmed..VDR genotype showed no association with bone turnover, family history or the presence of rheumatoid factor. Our results suggest that VDR polymorphisms do not play a major role in RA predisposition in Germans. ..
- Auer J, Bläss M, Schulze Koops H, Russwurm S, Nagel T, Kalden J, et al. Expression and regulation of CCL18 in synovial fluid neutrophils of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2007;9:R94 pubmed..These results suggest a release of the T cell-attracting CCL18 by PMN when recruited to diseased joints. However, its production is tightly regulated at the levels of mRNA expression and protein synthesis. ..
- Ostendorf B, Peters R, Dann P, Becker A, Scherer A, Wedekind F, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging and miniarthroscopy of metacarpophalangeal joints: sensitive detection of morphologic changes in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2001;44:2492-502 pubmed..To evaluate and characterize magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) findings in the metacarpophalangeal (MCP) joints of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients macroscopically, using miniarthroscopy (MA; needle arthroscopy)...
- Scheel A, Hermann K, Ohrndorf S, Werner C, Schirmer C, Detert J, et al. Prospective 7 year follow up imaging study comparing radiography, ultrasonography, and magnetic resonance imaging in rheumatoid arthritis finger joints. Ann Rheum Dis. 2006;65:595-600 pubmed
- Böttcher J, Pfeil A, Rosholm A, Soros P, Petrovitch A, Schaefer M, et al. Computerized quantification of joint space narrowing and periarticular demineralization in patients with rheumatoid arthritis based on digital x-ray radiogrammetry. Invest Radiol. 2006;41:36-44 pubmed
- Backhaus M, Burmester G, Sandrock D, Loreck D, Hess D, Scholz A, et al. Prospective two year follow up study comparing novel and conventional imaging procedures in patients with arthritic finger joints. Ann Rheum Dis. 2002;61:895-904 pubmed..Additionally, to study the course of soft tissue lesions depicted in the initial study in comparison with the clinical findings...
- Mangasser Stephan K, Dooley S, Welter C, Mutschler W, Hanselmann R. Identification of human semaphorin E gene expression in rheumatoid synovial cells by mRNA differential display. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;234:153-6 pubmed..Interestingly semaphorin E is a member of a protein-family described to play an immunosuppressive role via inhibition cytokines. A relevance of this finding towards the pathogenesis of RA is discussed. ..
- Utku N, Heinemann T, Winter M, Bulwin C, Schlawinsky M, Fraser P, et al. Antibody targeting of TIRC7 results in significant therapeutic effects on collagen-induced arthritis in mice. Clin Exp Immunol. 2006;144:142-51 pubmed..The results demonstrate the therapeutic potential of TIRC7 targeting with mAb in diseases associated with exaggerated T and B cell responses. ..
- Goldermann R, Schuppe H, Gleichmann E, Kind P, Merk H, Rau R, et al. Adverse immune reactions to gold in rheumatoid arthritis: lack of skin reactivity. Acta Derm Venereol. 1993;73:220-2 pubmed..The in vitro response to gold(III) obtained by LTT supports the hypothesis that biooxidation of gold(I) compounds may play a crucial role for sensitization. ..
- Boszczyk A, Boszczyk B, Putz R, Benjamin M, Milz S. Expression of a wide range of fibrocartilage molecules at the entheses of the alar ligaments - possible antigenic targets for rheumatoid arthritis?. J Rheumatol. 2003;30:1420-5 pubmed..The prominence of these molecules at the entheses raises the possibility that they could be antigenic targets for an autoimmune response in rheumatic diseases. ..
- Hildebrandt G, Radlingmayr A, Rosenthal S, Rothe R, Jahns J, Hindemith M, et al. Low-dose radiotherapy (LD-RT) and the modulation of iNOS expression in adjuvant-induced arthritis in rats. Int J Radiat Biol. 2003;79:993-1001 pubmed
- Bramlage C, Häupl T, Kaps C, Ungethüm U, Krenn V, Pruss A, et al. Decrease in expression of bone morphogenetic proteins 4 and 5 in synovial tissue of patients with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006;8:R58 pubmed..In comparison with previous reports, these data underline the complex impact of these factors on homeostasis and remodeling in joint physiology and pathology. ..
- Backhaus M, Ohrndorf S, Kellner H, Strunk J, Backhaus T, Hartung W, et al. Evaluation of a novel 7-joint ultrasound score in daily rheumatologic practice: a pilot project. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;61:1194-201 pubmed publisher..To introduce a new standardized ultrasound score based on 7 joints of the clinically dominant hand and foot (German US7 score) implemented in daily rheumatologic practice...
- Rückert R, Brandt K, Ernst M, Marienfeld K, Csernok E, Metzler C, et al. Interleukin-15 stimulates macrophages to activate CD4+ T cells: a role in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis?. Immunology. 2009;126:63-73 pubmed publisher..In view of high serum and synovial levels of IL-15 in patients with RA, our data suggest the possibility that this excess IL-15 in RA may stimulate monocytes/MPhi to activate the characteristic autoreactive CD4(+) T cells in RA. ..
- Boehme M, Gao I, Norden C, Lemmel E. Decrease in circulating endothelial cell adhesion molecule and thrombomodulin levels during oral iloprost treatment in rheumatoid arthritis patients: preliminary results. Rheumatol Int. 2006;26:340-7 pubmed..The observed thrombomodulin-lowering effect of iloprost may indicate stabilisation of endothelial cell function by diminishing endothelial cell injury. ..
- Loddenkemper K, Buttgereit F. [Chrysiasis]. Z Rheumatol. 2001;60:359-60 pubmed..Chrysiasis is a rare permanent pigmentation of the skin resulting from the parenteral administration of gold. The cause of the pigmentation is multifactorial and not fully established at the moment. ..
- Ammon H. Boswellic acids in chronic inflammatory diseases. Planta Med. 2006;72:1100-16 pubmed..Side effects are not severe when compared to modern drugs used for the treatment of these diseases. ..
- de la Fontaine L, Schwarz M, Riedel M, Dehning S, Douhet A, Spellmann I, et al. Investigating disease susceptibility and the negative correlation of schizophrenia and rheumatoid arthritis focusing on MIF and CD14 gene polymorphisms. Psychiatry Res. 2006;144:39-47 pubmed