Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on retrospective studies in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: retrospective studies
Publications1684 found, 100 shown here
- Jacob A, Robinson L, Bortman J, Yu L, Dodson E, Welling D. Nerve of origin, tumor size, hearing preservation, and facial nerve outcomes in 359 vestibular schwannoma resections at a tertiary care academic center. Laryngoscope. 2007;117:2087-92 pubmed..Patients with tumors <1 cm in size had the best chance for hearing preservation. Overall facial nerve preservation was excellent with >90% achieving HB 1 to 3 function at final follow-up. ..
- St Peter S, Keckler S, Nair A, Andrews W, Sharp R, Snyder C, et al. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy in the pediatric population. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2008;18:127-30 pubmed publisher..The experience with laparoscopic cholecystectomy in children trails the adult numbers and remains underreported. Therefore, we reviewed our experience with this approach...
- Aktas M, Allen D, Jaber W, Chuang H, Taylor D, Yamani M. Relation of brain natriuretic peptide level to extent of left ventricular scarring in patients with chronic heart failure secondary to ischemic cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol. 2009;103:243-5 pubmed publisher..01) and greater myocardial hibernation (22+/-14% vs 12+/-7%, p=0.02) compared with patients with >or=33% scar. In conclusion, in patients with chronic heart failure, a decreased BNP response indicated extensive myocardial scarring. ..
- Joo S, Oh C, Grissom L, Kumar S, MacEwen G. Three-dimensional computerized tomographic analysis of the deformity of lateral growth disturbance of proximal femoral physis. J Pediatr Orthop. 2009;29:540-6 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to define the anatomy of the proximal femur after the lateral growth disturbance of the proximal femoral physis with 3D CT scans...
- Pantalone K, Kattan M, Yu C, Wells B, Arrigain S, Jain A, et al. The risk of overall mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes receiving glipizide, glyburide, or glimepiride monotherapy: a retrospective analysis. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:1224-9 pubmed publisher..39 [0.99-1.96]) in those with documented CAD. Our results did not identify an increased mortality risk among the individual sulfonylureas but did suggest that glimepiride may be the preferred sulfonylurea in those with underlying CAD. ..
- Boltz M, Zhang N, Zhao C, Thiruvengadam S, Siperstein A, Jin J. Value of Prophylactic Cervical Thymectomy in Parathyroid Hyperplasia. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22 Suppl 3:S662-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the incidences of SNGs in primary and familial HPT were similar. On the basis of these data, we advocate that BCT be considered in primary HPT when thymic tissue is readily identified. ..
- Aquina C, Probst C, Becerra A, Hensley B, Iannuzzi J, Noyes K, et al. High Variability in Nosocomial Clostridium difficile Infection Rates Across Hospitals After Colorectal Resection. Dis Colon Rectum. 2016;59:323-31 pubmed publisher..Given the high morbidity and cost associated with C. difficile colitis, adopting institutional quality improvement programs and maintaining strict prevention strategies are of the utmost importance. ..
- Jain P, Thompson P, Keating M, Estrov Z, Ferrajoli A, Jain N, et al. Long-term outcomes for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia who discontinue ibrutinib. Cancer. 2017;123:2268-2273 pubmed publisher..Effective salvage strategies for patients with CLL who progress on ibrutinib therapy is of critical importance. Cancer 2017;123:2268-2273. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Gutiérrez Gutiérrez B, Salamanca E, de Cueto M, Hsueh P, Viale P, Paño Pardo J, et al. Effect of appropriate combination therapy on mortality of patients with bloodstream infections due to carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae (INCREMENT): a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017;17:726-734 pubmed publisher..Spanish Network for Research in Infectious Diseases, European Development Regional Fund, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, and Innovative Medicines Initiative. ..
- Sundine M, Scheker L. A comparison of immediate and staged reconstruction of the dorsum of the hand. J Hand Surg Br. 1996;21:216-21 pubmed..002), significantly fewer operations (2.1 compared to 5.9, P = 0.002) and a greater chance of returning to work (86% compared to 48.2%, P = 0.3) than patients with staged reconstruction. ..
- Handwerger B, Blodi B, Chandra S, Olsen T, Stevens T. Treatment of submacular hemorrhage with low-dose intravitreal tissue plasminogen activator injection and pneumatic displacement. Arch Ophthalmol. 2001;119:28-32 pubmed..To investigate the safety and efficacy of low-dose intravitreal tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) and an expansile gas bubble in displacing submacular hemorrhage in patients with age-related macular degeneration (ARMD)...
- Maronian N, Waugh P, Robinson L, Hillel A. Electromyographic findings in recurrent laryngeal nerve reinnervation. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2003;112:314-23 pubmed..Overall, this procedure results in excellent patient acceptance and near-normal vocal quality. ..
- Coleman W, Geisler F. Injury severity as primary predictor of outcome in acute spinal cord injury: retrospective results from a large multicenter clinical trial. Spine J. 2004;4:373-8 pubmed..The injury region/severity variable keeps the strong prognostic value of using both region and severity, but is simpler and more statistically economical. ..
- Dimarco D, Lohse C, Zincke H, Cheville J, Blute M. Long-term survival of patients with unilateral sporadic multifocal renal cell carcinoma according to histologic subtype compared with patients with solitary tumors after radical nephrectomy. Urology. 2004;64:462-7 pubmed..Multifocality was not significantly associated with ipsilateral recurrence or death from RCC. In addition, multifocality was not associated with larger and higher stage tumors, as previously reported. ..
- Goodwin A, Mercer B. Does maternal race or ethnicity affect the expression of severe preeclampsia?. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005;193:973-8 pubmed..African American women with severe preeclampsia demonstrate more severe hypertension and required more antihypertensive Rx, while Caucasian women have more frequent hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes and low platelets syndrome. ..
- Sarawate C, Patel P, Schumacher H, Yang W, Brewer K, Bakst A. Serum urate levels and gout flares: analysis from managed care data. J Clin Rheumatol. 2006;12:61-5 pubmed..0 mg/dL may be attributed to lack of awareness of optimal SUA, allopurinol dosing, compliance, and efficacy. Patients who did not achieve target SUA were at increased flare risk. ..
- Nathoo N, Ugokwe K, Chang A, Li L, Ross J, Suh J, et al. The role of 111indium-octreotide brain scintigraphy in the diagnosis of cranial, dural-based meningiomas. J Neurooncol. 2007;81:167-74 pubmed..OBS may increase the diagnostic specificity of conventional MRI when differentiating meningioma from other dural-based pathologies, while the addition of FDG-PET differentiates benign from malignant lesions. ..
- Hlavacek A, Lucas J, Baker H, Chessa K, Shirali G. Feasibility and utility of three-dimensional color flow echocardiography of the aortic arch: The "echocardiographic angiogram". Echocardiography. 2006;23:860-4 pubmed..In addition, 17 of the 26 patients had their 3DE findings confirmed by additional modalities, providing reasonably significant validation for our findings with 3DE. ..
- Thomas C, Wood G, Marks V. Mohs micrographic surgery in the treatment of rare aggressive cutaneous tumors: the Geisinger experience. Dermatol Surg. 2007;33:333-9 pubmed..Collectively, our data on PDSCC, DFSP, MAC, and EMPD, combined with other studies in the literature, show that MMS is the most effective therapy for these rare aggressive cutaneous malignancies. ..
- Hu W, Rippon G, Boeve B, Knopman D, Petersen R, Parisi J, et al. Alzheimer's disease and corticobasal degeneration presenting as corticobasal syndrome. Mov Disord. 2009;24:1375-9 pubmed publisher..AD patients with clinical CBS have similar characteristics to CBD patients. Functional brain imaging may have greater utility than the clinical and neuropsychological features in differentiating AD presenting as CBS from CBD. ..
- Pasadhika S, Kempen J, Newcomb C, Liesegang T, Pujari S, Rosenbaum J, et al. Azathioprine for ocular inflammatory diseases. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009;148:500-509.e2 pubmed publisher..Treatment-limiting side effects occurred in approximately one-fourth of patients within 1 year, but typically were reversible. ..
- Skaznik Wikiel M, Jelovsek J, Andrews B, Bradley L. Accuracy of endometrial thickness in detecting benign endometrial pathology in postmenopausal women. Menopause. 2010;17:104-8 pubmed publisher..With an endometrial thickness cutoff of 5 mm a considerable amount of benign endometrial pathology in postmenopausal women with bleeding is missed, and SIS or hysteroscopy may be warranted. ..
- Pires C, Bissada N, Becker J, Kanawati A, Landers M. Mandibular incisive canal: cone beam computed tomography. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2012;14:67-73 pubmed publisher..4 mm. The apex-canal distance (in dentate subjects) was 5.3 mm. The presence, location, and dimensions of the mandibular incisive canal are better determined by CBCT imaging than by panoramic radiography. ..
- Garcia R, Hardy B, Kraay M, Goldberg V. Revision total knee arthroplasty for aseptic and septic causes in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468:82-9 pubmed publisher..Level IV, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence. ..
- Schneider C, Cobb W, Patel S, Cull D, Anna C, Roettger R. Elective surgery in patients with end stage renal disease: what's the risk?. Am Surg. 2009;75:790-3; discussion 793 pubmed..The significantly increased morbidity should be considered when evaluating expected outcomes. ..
- Mills D, Meyer D. Central lower eyelid thinning with trichiasis: characterization and management of a unique subset of entropion in elderly patients. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009;25:445-9 pubmed publisher..Its management differs from the usual treatment for entropion in this age group. Surgeons should be aware of this unique condition to optimize diagnosis and treatment. ..
- Guru K, Seixas Mikelus S, Hussain A, Blumenfeld A, Nyquist J, Chandrasekhar R, et al. Robot-assisted intracorporeal ileal conduit: Marionette technique and initial experience at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. Urology. 2010;76:866-71 pubmed publisher..Larger series with favorable results will be required to add this new paradigm to minimally invasive surgery for bladder cancer. ..
- Hauck E, Natarajan S, Ohta H, Ogilvy C, Hopkins L, Siddiqui A, et al. Emergent endovascular recanalization for cervical internal carotid artery occlusion in patients presenting with acute stroke. Neurosurgery. 2011;69:899-907; discussion 907 pubmed publisher..2%; good outcome in 64.7%). Attempts at emergent endovascular carotid recanalization for acute stroke are encouraged, particularly in younger patients with partial distal preservation of the ICA. ..
- Dragun A, Huang B, Tucker T, Spanos W. Increasing mastectomy rates among all age groups for early stage breast cancer: a 10-year study of surgical choice. Breast J. 2012;18:318-25 pubmed publisher..The rate of mastectomy declined until 2005 and is now increasing across all age groups, especially for women < 50 years and ? 70 years. ..
- Hellman M, Gross C, Hart M, Freeman R, Salata M, Bush Joseph C, et al. Radiographic Comparison of Anterior Acetabular Rim Morphology Between Pincer Femoroacetabular Impingement and Control. Arthroscopy. 2016;32:468-72 pubmed publisher..We recommend using this asymptomatic population as a guideline for limits on resection of the anterior acetabular rim. Level III, retrospective comparative study. ..
- Richardson T, Shen Z, Kanchwala M, Xing C, Filatenkov A, Shang P, et al. Aggressive Behavior in Silent Subtype III Pituitary Adenomas May Depend on Suppression of Local Immune Response: A Whole Transcriptome Analysis. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2017;76:874-882 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that SS-3 adenomas actively suppress the immune system and raise the possibility that they may be treatable with immune checkpoint inhibitors or nonspecific cancer immunotherapies. ..
- Ellison E, Sparks J. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome in the era of effective acid suppression: are we unknowingly growing tumors?. Am J Surg. 2003;186:245-8 pubmed..Physicians must maintain a high index of suspicion for this disease and not mask a potential malignancy with prolonged control of acid-related symptoms without taking steps to diagnose gastrinoma...
- Durnwald C, Mercer B. Vaginal birth after Cesarean delivery: predicting success, risks of failure. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2004;15:388-93 pubmed..While attempted VBAC and failed VBAC have more maternal infectious morbidity and lower Apgar scores, infant outcomes are similar to those of elective repeat Cesarean delivery. ..
- Teet J, Skinner H, Khoury L. The effect of the "mini" incision in total hip arthroplasty on component position. J Arthroplasty. 2006;21:503-7 pubmed
- Duwelius P. Two-incision minimally invasive total hip arthroplasty: techniques and results to date. Instr Course Lect. 2006;55:215-22 pubmed
- Thiel D, Young P, Broderick G, Heckman M, Wehle M, Igel T, et al. Do clinical or urodynamic parameters predict artificial urinary sphincter outcome in post-radical prostatectomy incontinence?. Urology. 2007;69:315-9 pubmed..Older patients tended to have decreased perceived improvement. We found no clinical or urodynamic parameter that would be a contraindication to AUS placement for post-RP incontinence. ..
- Haynik D, Roma A, Prayson R. HER-2/neu expression in glioblastoma multiforme. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2007;15:56-8 pubmed..No GBM demonstrates HER-2/neu protein by IHC or amplification of the HER-2/neu gene by FISH. The HER-2/neu oncogene does not seem to play a role in the pathogenesis of GBM. ..
- Ou S, Zell J. Carcinoma NOS is a common histologic diagnosis and is increasing in proportion among non-small cell lung cancer histologies. J Thorac Oncol. 2009;4:1202-11 pubmed publisher..We investigated whether the distribution of carcinoma NOS (not otherwise specified) among NSCLC cases in California have changed over time and determined the prognostic significance of carcinoma NOS...
- Jaber J, Moreira J, Canar W, Bier Laning C. A 25-year analysis of veterans treated for tonsillar squamous cell carcinoma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009;135:1147-53 pubmed publisher..02). In veterans treated for tonsillar SCC, we advocate the consideration of a treatment plan that includes surgery for patients presenting with advanced-stage SCC of the tonsil, even in patients with notable comorbidities. ..
- Opreanu R, Arrangoiz R, Stevens P, Morrison C, Mosher B, Kepros J. Hematocrit, systolic blood pressure and heart rate are not accurate predictors for surgery to control hemorrhage in injured patients. Am Surg. 2010;76:296-301 pubmed..Although useful in aggregate, as a pattern, or as indications for further diagnostic studies, these common parameters have limited usefulness individually. ..
- Miller D, Roden A, Gamez J, Tazelaar H. Detection of C4d deposition in cardiac allografts: a comparative study of immunofluorescence and immunoperoxidase methods. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010;134:1679-84 pubmed publisher..88. Immunofluorescence and IP C4d staining methods are highly comparable and are both viable options for antibody-mediated rejection surveillance in transplant heart biopsies. ..
- Green T, Tonozzi C, Kirby R, Rudloff E. Evaluation of initial plasma lactate values as a predictor of gastric necrosis and initial and subsequent plasma lactate values as a predictor of survival in dogs with gastric dilatation-volvulus: 84 dogs (2003-2007). J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio). 2011;21:36-44 pubmed publisher..Limitations to the study include its retrospective nature, the small number of patients, and the number of dogs that were euthanized rather than allowed to progress to a natural outcome. ..
- Higa K, Ho T, Tercero F, Yunus T, Boone K. Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: 10-year follow-up. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011;7:516-25 pubmed publisher..However, nutritional deficiencies presented sporadically over time and underscore the importance of routine testing. ..
- Peyrani P, Allen M, Seligson D, Roberts C, Chen A, Haque N, et al. Clinical outcomes of osteomyelitis patients infected with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus USA-300 strains. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2012;41:117-22 pubmed..With current surgical and medical management, outcomes of patients with MRSA USA-300 osteomyelitis are similar to those of patients with MRSA non-USA-300 osteomyelitis. ..
- Kunos C, Winter K, Dicker A, Small W, Abdul Karim F, Dawson D, et al. Ribonucleotide reductase expression in cervical cancer: a radiation therapy oncology group translational science analysis. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2013;23:615-21 pubmed publisher..5; 95% confidence interval, 2.2-13.8; P = 0.0003). These results suggest that RNR subunit expression may discriminate cervical cancer phenotype and radiochemotherapy outcome. Future RNR biomarker studies are warranted. ..
- Barst R, Ivy D, Foreman A, McGoon M, Rosenzweig E. Four- and seven-year outcomes of patients with congenital heart disease-associated pulmonary arterial hypertension (from the REVEAL Registry). Am J Cardiol. 2014;113:147-55 pubmed publisher..These differences, however, did not translate into significantly improved 4- and 7-year survival rates in patients with ES versus IPAH or HPAH and CHD-associated PAH. ..
- Hostin R, Robinson C, O Brien M, Ames C, Schwab F, Smith J, et al. A Multicenter Comparison of Inpatient Resource Use for Adult Spinal Deformity Surgery. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2016;41:603-9 pubmed publisher..The estimated impact of physician preference on surgical resource utilization highlights the variation in current surgical practice and the opportunity for cost reductions via a more standardized approach. 3. ..
- Bauman T, Vezina C, Ricke E, Halberg R, Huang W, Peterson R, et al. Expression and colocalization of β-catenin and lymphoid enhancing factor-1 in prostate cancer progression. Hum Pathol. 2016;51:124-33 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results suggest that LEF1 abundance alone is not a reliable readout for β-catenin activity in prostate tissues. ..
- Nouhan R, Kleinert J. Ulnar nerve decompression by transposing the nerve and Z-lengthening the flexor-pronator mass: clinical outcome. J Hand Surg Am. 1997;22:127-31 pubmed..These findings indicate that submuscular ulnar nerve transposition using the flexor-pronator Z-lengthening technique without internal neurolysis is a reliable method of treating ulnar nerve compression at the elbow. ..
- Abrahams N, MacLennan G, Khoury J, Ormsby A, Tamboli P, Doglioni C, et al. Chromophobe renal cell carcinoma: a comparative study of histological, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural features using high throughput tissue microarray. Histopathology. 2004;45:593-602 pubmed..Electron microscopy was performed, as a diagnostic gold standard, on all of the cases...
- Kremers H, Reinalda M, Crowson C, Zinsmeister A, Hunder G, Gabriel S. Relapse in a population based cohort of patients with polymyalgia rheumatica. J Rheumatol. 2005;32:65-73 pubmed..To determine the incidence and the clinical, laboratory, and treatment related predictors of relapse in polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)...
- Sidwa T, Wilson P, Moore G, Oertli E, Hicks B, Rohde R, et al. Evaluation of oral rabies vaccination programs for control of rabies epizootics in coyotes and gray foxes: 1995-2003. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2005;227:785-92 pubmed..To evaluate the effectiveness of intervention efforts to halt 2 wildlife rabies epizootics from 1995 through 2003, including 9 oral rabies vaccination campaigns for coyotes and 8 oral rabies vaccination campaigns for gray foxes...
- Nwogu C, Glinianski M, Demmy T. Minimally invasive pneumonectomy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006;82:e3-4 pubmed..Adequate exposure of the proximal hilar vessels is mandatory. Short-term results are encouraging, but prospective long-term data are essential. ..
- Woodrow S, Jenkins A. How thorough is the process of informed consent prior to outpatient gastroscopy? A study of practice in a United Kingdom District Hospital. Digestion. 2006;73:189-97 pubmed..Approximately half the patients were not given the opportunity to decline gastroscopy either before or on the day of the procedure. ..
- Siemionow M, Alghoul M, Molski M, Agaoglu G. Clinical outcome of peripheral nerve decompression in diabetic and nondiabetic peripheral neuropathy. Ann Plast Surg. 2006;57:385-90 pubmed..It is concluded that surgical decompression was associated with significant improvement in clinical outcome in patients with diabetic and idiopathic neuropathy with evidence of superimposed compression. ..
- Shin J, Lobmeyer M, Gong Y, Zineh I, Langaee T, Yarandi H, et al. Relation of beta(2)-adrenoceptor haplotype to risk of death and heart transplantation in patients with heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2007;99:250-5 pubmed..In conclusion, ADRB2 Arg16Gln27 haplotype may significantly increase the risk of adverse outcomes in patients with HF receiving contemporary HF pharmacotherapy. ..
- Mhawech Fauceglia P, Allal A, Odunsi K, Andrews C, Herrmann F, Huard B. Role of the tumour necrosis family ligand APRIL in solid tumour development: Retrospective studies in bladder, ovarian and head and neck carcinomas. Eur J Cancer. 2008;44:2097-100 pubmed publisher..This indicates that APRIL is not potent enough to promote the development of solid tumour cells under the pressure of chemotherapy. ..
- Savci Heijink C, Kosari F, Aubry M, Caron B, Sun Z, Yang P, et al. The role of desmoglein-3 in the diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma of the lung. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:1629-37 pubmed publisher..9. Using immunohistochemistry, sensitivity and specificity of DSG3 for lung cancers were 98% and 99%, respectively. Therefore, DSG3 can be a useful ancillary marker to separate SQCC from other subtypes of lung cancer. ..
- Sung J, Chen T, Gilliam A, McCalmont T, Gilliam A. Clinicohistopathological correlations in juvenile localized scleroderma: studies on a subset of children with hypopigmented juvenile localized scleroderma due to loss of epidermal melanocytes. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011;65:364-373 pubmed publisher..These results provide a useful immunostaining method for confirmation of the diagnosis of JLS. They suggest a complex autoimmune phenotype in some children with JLS. ..
- Turkbey B, Mani H, Aras O, Rastinehad A, Shah V, Bernardo M, et al. Correlation of magnetic resonance imaging tumor volume with histopathology. J Urol. 2012;188:1157-1163 pubmed publisher..Index tumor volume as determined by magnetic resonance imaging may be helpful in planning treatment, specifically in identifying tumor margins for image guided focal therapy and possibly selecting better active surveillance candidates. ..
- Ehlers J, Yuan A, Kaiser P, Dhoot D, Sears J, Martin D, et al. Trans-tamponade optical coherence tomography: postoperative imaging in gas-filled eyes. Retina. 2013;33:1172-8 pubmed publisher..An optimum scan protocol was developed to facilitate maximum quality images. Successful trans-tamponade optical coherence tomography through gas on Postoperative Day 1 is possible but significant variability exists in scan quality. ..
- Arulpragasam S, Case J, Ellison G. Evaluation of costs and time required for laparoscopic-assisted versus open cystotomy for urinary cystolith removal in dogs: 43 cases (2009-2012). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2013;243:703-8 pubmed publisher..Laparoscopic-assisted cystotomy is an acceptable, more expensive, and minimally invasive alternative to open cystotomy for the removal of urinary cystoliths in dogs. ..
- Azarakhsh N, Grimes S, Notrica D, Raines A, Garcia N, Tuggle D, et al. Blunt cerebrovascular injury in children: underreported or underrecognized?: A multicenter ATOMAC study. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013;75:1006-11; discussion 1011-2 pubmed publisher..Pediatric surgeons need to become more vigilant about screening pediatric patients with high-risk criteria for BCVI. Prognostic/epidemiologic study, level III; therapeutic study, level IV. ..
- Maldonado T, Westin G, Jazaeri O, Mewissen M, Reijnen M, Dwivedi A, et al. Treatment of Aortoiliac Occlusive Disease with the Endologix AFX Unibody Endograft. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2016;52:64-74 pubmed publisher..This is the largest study to examine the use of the Endologix AFX unibody stent-graft for the treatment of AIOD. Use of the AFX stent-graft appears to be a safe and effective endovascular treatment for complex AIOD. ..
- Le A, Huang B, Hnoosh D, Saeed H, Dineen S, Hosein P, et al. Effect of complications on oncologic outcomes after pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic cancer. J Surg Res. 2017;214:1-8 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that strategies to decrease PMC and treatment sequencing alternatives to increase multimodality therapy rates may improve oncologic outcomes for PDAC. ..
- Coughlin M, Dorris J, Polk E. Operative repair of the fixed hammertoe deformity. Foot Ankle Int. 2000;21:94-104 pubmed
- Hayman S, Lacy M, Kyle R, Gertz M. Primary systemic amyloidosis: a cause of malabsorption syndrome. Am J Med. 2001;111:535-40 pubmed..All patients over 30 years of age with a malabsorption syndrome should have screening serum and urine immunofixation before undergoing a small bowel biopsy. ..
- Abadir J, Cohen A, Wilson S. Accurate diagnosis of infarction of omentum and appendices epiploicae by computed tomography. Am Surg. 2004;70:854-7 pubmed..The characteristic findings on computed tomography are diagnostic and allow safe, conservative management in the majority of patients. ..
- Shames B, Fernandez L, Sollinger H, Chin L, D Alessandro A, Knechtle S, et al. Liver transplantation for HELLP syndrome. Liver Transpl. 2005;11:224-8 pubmed..Patients with complicated HELLP syndrome are best managed at a center with expertise in liver transplantation. ..
- Badke M, Miedaner J, Shea T, Grove C, Pyle G. Effects of vestibular and balance rehabilitation on sensory organization and dizziness handicap. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2005;114:48-54 pubmed..Outcome measures of vestibular rehabilitation protocols confirmed objective and subjective improvement of balance and dizziness handicap in patients with peripheral and central vestibular disorders. ..
- Gryska P, Vernon J. Tension-free repair of hiatal hernia during laparoscopic fundoplication: a ten-year experience. Hernia. 2005;9:150-5 pubmed..Mesh repair/patch of the esophageal hiatus can be done without infection, with results similar to standard crural repair and consistent with surgical principles of non-tension. ..
- Francois C, Demos T, Iqbal N. Pancreaticothoracic fistulas: imaging findings in five patients. Abdom Imaging. 2005;30:761-7 pubmed..CT demonstrated the full extent of the pancreaticothoracic fistula in both patients. Pancreaticothoracic fistulas are rare and may require multiple imaging modalities to establish a diagnosis. ..
- Karakousis C. Surgical procedures and lymphedema of the upper and lower extremity. J Surg Oncol. 2006;93:87-91 pubmed
- Bakri S, Nickel J, Yoganathan P, Beer P. Photodynamic therapy for choroidal neovascularization associated with submacular hemorrhage in age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2006;37:278-83 pubmed..0001; initial acuity, 20/230; 12-month acuity, 20/456). Eyes treated with PDT for choroidal neovascularization associated with submacular hemorrhage and AMD maintained stable vision over 12 months. ..
- Maple J, Petersen B, Baron T, Kasperbauer J, Wong Kee Song L, Larson M. Endoscopic management of radiation-induced complete upper esophageal obstruction with an antegrade-retrograde rendezvous technique. Gastrointest Endosc. 2006;64:822-8 pubmed
- Nassar A, Cohen C, Cotsonis G, Carlson G. Significance of intramammary lymph nodes in the staging of breast cancer: correlation with tumor characteristics and outcome. Breast J. 2008;14:147-52 pubmed publisher..350; and overall survival p = 0.138). IntraMLN metastasis is a poor prognostic marker but not an independent predictor of poor outcome in patients with breast carcinoma. ..
- Ramirez J, Aliberti S, Mirsaeidi M, Peyrani P, Filardo G, Amir A, et al. Acute myocardial infarction in hospitalized patients with community-acquired pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;47:182-7 pubmed publisher..In cases in which the clinical course of a hospitalized patient with CAP is complicated by clinical failure, AMI should be considered as a possible etiology. ..
- Mulligan G, Eray E, Faiman C, Gupta M, Pineyro M, Makdissi A, et al. Reduction of false-negative results in inferior petrosal sinus sampling with simultaneous prolactin and corticotropin measurement. Endocr Pract. 2011;17:33-40 pubmed publisher..In our series, all false-negative IPS:P ACTH ratios had a corresponding IPS:P prolactin ratio less than 1.3. ..
- Sieren L, Collins J, Weireter L, Britt R, Reed S, Novosel T, et al. The incidence of benign and malignant neoplasia presenting as acute appendicitis. Am Surg. 2010;76:808-11 pubmed..Six patients had concurrent appendicitis. Colonic and appendiceal neoplasia are not unusual etiologies of appendicitis. These patients tend to present at an older age and with longer duration of symptoms...
- Porrata L, Ristow K, Colgan J, Habermann T, Witzig T, Inwards D, et al. Peripheral blood lymphocyte/monocyte ratio at diagnosis and survival in classical Hodgkin's lymphoma. Haematologica. 2012;97:262-9 pubmed publisher..The ratio of absolute lymphocyte count/absolute monocyte count at diagnosis is an independent prognostic factor for survival and provides a single biomarker to predict clinical outcomes in patients with classical Hodgkin's lymphoma. ..
- Shmidt E, Murthy N, Knudsen J, Weenig R, Jacobs M, Starnes A, et al. Net-like pattern of calcification on plain soft-tissue radiographs in patients with calciphylaxis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012;67:1296-301 pubmed publisher..These findings were preserved even if only one image was used per patient. This was a retrospective study. A netlike pattern of calcifications on plain radiographs was more common in patients with calciphylaxis and may aid in diagnosis. ..
- McCarthy P, Hahn T, Hassebroek A, Bredeson C, Gajewski J, Hale G, et al. Trends in use of and survival after autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation in North America, 1995-2005: significant improvement in survival for lymphoma and myeloma during a period of increasing recipient age. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2013;19:1116-23 pubmed publisher..001) and chemotherapy-sensitive multiple myeloma (day +100 OS, from 96% to 98%; 1-year OS, from 83% to 92%; P < .001). This improvement in OS was most pronounced in middle-aged (>40 years) and older (>60 years) individuals. ..
- Taylor J, Lucas D, Riley A, Simpson G, Philbin T. Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis Nails: A Comparison of Nails With and Without Internal Compression. Foot Ankle Int. 2016;37:294-9 pubmed publisher..There appeared to be an advantage using systems with internal compression; however, there was no statistically significant difference after controlling for diabetes. Level III, retrospective comparative series. ..
- Hanke S, Joy B, Riddle E, Ravishankar C, Peterson L, King E, et al. Risk Factors for Unanticipated Readmissions During the Interstage: A Report From the National Pediatric Cardiology Quality Improvement Collaborative. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;28:803-814 pubmed publisher..Unanticipated readmissions are common during the interstage period with notable center variation. However, these readmissions are short and are rarely in response to major adverse events. ..
- Gray R, Gougoutas A, Nguyen V, Taylor J, Bastidas N. Use of three-dimensional, CAD/CAM-assisted, virtual surgical simulation and planning in the pediatric craniofacial population. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;97:163-169 pubmed publisher..Preoperative planning using CAD/CAM and VSP allows for safe and precise craniofacial reconstruction in complex pediatric cases with a reduction of operative time. ..
- Bennett K, Hoch J, Scarborough J. Predictors of 30-day postoperative major adverse clinical events after carotid artery stenting: An analysis of the procedure-targeted American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:1093-1099 pubmed publisher..Elderly patients (?80 years), female patients, and black patients as well as those receiving more than one stent are at increased risk of negative outcome after CAS. ..