Experts and Doctors on reproduction in Norway
- Ordiz A, Støen O, Swenson J, Kojola I, Bischof R. Distance-dependent effect of the nearest neighbor: spatiotemporal patterns in brown bear reproduction. Ecology. 2008;89:3327-35 pubmed..Previously, similar population regulation mechanisms have been found only in group-living mammals. Thus, social interactions and behavior in solitary carnivores may be more flexible than usually assumed. ..
- Zedrosser A, Pelletier F, Bischof R, Festa Bianchet M, Swenson J. Determinants of lifetime reproduction in female brown bears: early body mass, longevity, and hunting regulations. Ecology. 2013;94:231-40 pubmed..We suggest that, in many hunted populations of large mammals, sport harvest is an important influence on both population dynamics and life histories. ..
- Olsen H, Hayes B, Kent M, Nome T, Svendsen M, Larsgard A, et al. Genome-wide association mapping in Norwegian Red cattle identifies quantitative trait loci for fertility and milk production on BTA12. Anim Genet. 2011;42:466-74 pubmed publisher..The other reproduction QTL did not have pleiotropic effects on milk production, and these are therefore of considerable interest for use in marker-assisted selection. ..
- Ten Tusscher K, Hogeweg P. The role of genome and gene regulatory network canalization in the evolution of multi-trait polymorphisms and sympatric speciation. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:159 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that, as genotypic canalization enables differentiation despite random mating and increases the effectiveness of assortative mating, sympatric speciation is more likely than is commonly suggested. ..
- Zedrosser A, Dahle B, Støen O, Swenson J. The effects of primiparity on reproductive performance in the brown bear. Oecologia. 2009;160:847-54 pubmed publisher..Cub loss in these periods was independent and caused by different factors. Cub loss before the mating season seemed to be most influenced by food conditions, whereas that during the mating season appeared to be caused by SSI. ..
- Jørgensen C, Dunlop E, Opdal A, Fiksen O. The evolution of spawning migrations: state dependence and fishing-induced changes. Ecology. 2008;89:3436-48 pubmed..The effects were most pronounced for the homing behavior. ..
- Derocher A, Wolkers H, Colborn T, Schlabach M, Larsen T, Wiig Ø. Contaminants in Svalbard polar bear samples archived since 1967 and possible population level effects. Sci Total Environ. 2003;301:163-74 pubmed
- Jonsson B, Jonsson N. A review of the likely effects of climate change on anadromous Atlantic salmon Salmo salar and brown trout Salmo trutta, with particular reference to water temperature and flow. J Fish Biol. 2009;75:2381-447 pubmed publisher..Future research challenges are summarized at the end of the paper. ..
- Bårdsen B, Fauchald P, Tveraa T, Langeland K, Yoccoz N, Ims R. Experimental evidence of a risk-sensitive reproductive allocation in a long-lived mammal. Ecology. 2008;89:829-37 pubmed..The ability of individuals to track their environment and the concordant risk-sensitive adjustment of reproductive allocation may render subarctic reindeer more resilient to climate change than previously supposed...
- Odden M, Wegge P. Predicting spacing behavior and mating systems of solitary cervids: a study of hog deer and Indian muntjac. Zoology (Jena). 2007;110:261-70 pubmed..Body mass appeared to be a suitable predictor of intraspecific patterns in space use but a poor predictor of interspecific patterns, probably due to a confounding effect of habitat productivity. ..
- Engen S, Lande R, Saether B, Festa Bianchet M. Using reproductive value to estimate key parameters in density-independent age-structured populations. J Theor Biol. 2007;244:308-17 pubmed..We illustrate the method by estimating the long-run growth rate and the environmental variance in an exponentially growing population of Bighorn Sheep...
- Skjæraasen J, Nash R, Korsbrekke K, Fonn M, Nilsen T, Kennedy J, et al. Frequent skipped spawning in the world's largest cod population. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:8995-9 pubmed publisher..The same may hold for other teleosts. ..
- Kauserud H, Heegaard E, Büntgen U, Halvorsen R, Egli S, Senn Irlet B, et al. Warming-induced shift in European mushroom fruiting phenology. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:14488-93 pubmed publisher..Extension of the European fungal fruiting season parallels an extended vegetation season in Europe. Changes in fruiting phenology imply changes in mycelia activity, with implications for ecosystem function. ..
- Sanden M, Jørgensen S, Hemre G, Ørnsrud R, Sissener N. Zebrafish (Danio rerio) as a model for investigating dietary toxic effects of deoxynivalenol contamination in aquaculture feeds. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50:4441-8 pubmed publisher..We do not know if effects observed on fecundity and larvae swimming activity are attributed to a direct interaction of DON with the reproductive organ or secondary to the maternal/paternal liver oxidative imbalance. ..
- Skjærvø G, Røskaft E. Menopause: no support for an evolutionary explanation among historical Norwegians. Exp Gerontol. 2013;48:408-13 pubmed publisher..Finally, we discuss an alternative point of view suggesting that menopause might be understood in the light of both ageing in general as well as our increased lifespan. ..
- Hurem S, Gomes T, Brede D, Lindbo Hansen E, Mutoloki S, Fernandez C, et al. Parental gamma irradiation induces reprotoxic effects accompanied by genomic instability in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Environ Res. 2017;159:564-578 pubmed publisher..The results therefore highlight the necessity for multi- and transgenerational studies to assess the environmental impact of gamma radiation. ..
- Soleng A, Bakke T. The susceptibility of grayling (Thymallus thymallus) to experimental infections with the monogenean Gyrodactylus salaris. Int J Parasitol. 2001;31:793-7 pubmed..salaris. The grayling is interpreted as unable to sustain G. salaris in nature which implies that G. thymalli is not conspecific with G. salaris. However, G. salaris dispersal by grayling cannot be excluded...
- Meirmans S, Meirmans P, Kirkendall L. The costs of sex: facing real-world complexities. Q Rev Biol. 2012;87:19-40 pubmed..Interestingly, our study suggests that, in some species, no general benefits to sex and recombination might be needed to understand the maintenance of sex, as in our case study of dandelions. ..
- Eide N, Stien A, Prestrud P, Yoccoz N, Fuglei E. Reproductive responses to spatial and temporal prey availability in a coastal Arctic fox population. J Anim Ecol. 2012;81:640-8 pubmed publisher..We suggest this may be caused by a lack of unoccupied dens and a saturated population...
- Levsen A, Jakobsen P. Selection pressure towards monoxeny in Camallanus cotti (Nematoda, Camallanidac) facing an intermediate host bottleneck situation. Parasitology. 2002;124:625-9 pubmed..cotti to carry out a direct life-cycle is favoured by selection in order to avoid extinction whenever copepods are absent. It still remains unknown, however, whether the parasite shows the same characteristics in the wild...
- Nygard T, Gjershaug J. The effects of low levels of pollutants on the reproduction of golden eagles in western Norway. Ecotoxicology. 2001;10:285-90 pubmed..Our data-set on reproductive output is, however, too small to establish a general relationship between DDE contamination and reproductive output in golden eagles...