Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on pulmonary tuberculosis in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: pulmonary tuberculosis
- Rottinghaus E, Vesosky B, Turner J. TLR-2 independent recognition of Mycobacterium tuberculosis by CD11c+ pulmonary cells from old mice. Mech Ageing Dev. 2010;131:405-14 pubmed publisher..Investigation into such age-related differences in TLR function is of critical importance for the design of effective vaccines that will protect the elderly against infectious diseases. ..
- Anis M, Fulton S, Reba S, Harding C, Boom W. Modulation of naive CD4+ T-cell responses to an airway antigen during pulmonary mycobacterial infection. Infect Immun. 2007;75:2260-8 pubmed
- Mendelson M, Hanekom W, Ntutela S, Vogt M, Steyn L, Maartens G, et al. Quantitative and functional differences between peripheral blood myeloid dendritic cells from patients with pleural and parenchymal lung tuberculosis. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2006;13:1299-306 pubmed..Our findings suggest important differences in innate immunity between patients with different forms of active TB, and this may contribute to the differences in natural history observed between the two groups. ..
- Connolly L, Edelstein P, Ramakrishnan L. Why is long-term therapy required to cure tuberculosis?. PLoS Med. 2007;4:e120 pubmed
- Johnson J, Hadad D, Dietze R, Maciel E, Sewali B, Gitta P, et al. Shortening treatment in adults with noncavitary tuberculosis and 2-month culture conversion. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;180:558-63 pubmed publisher..The combination of noncavitary disease and 2-month culture conversion was insufficient to identify patients with decreased risk for relapse. ..
- Eisler R. Health risks of gold miners: a synoptic review. Environ Geochem Health. 2003;25:325-45 pubmed..However, large-scale epidemiological evidence of severe mercury-associated health problems in this cohort was not demonstrable. ..
- Reuter M, Pecora N, Harding C, Canaday D, McDonald D. Mycobacterium tuberculosis promotes HIV trans-infection and suppresses major histocompatibility complex class II antigen processing by dendritic cells. J Virol. 2010;84:8549-60 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that M. tuberculosis infection promotes a shift in the dynamic balance between antigen processing and intact virion presentation, favoring DC-mediated amplification of HIV infections. ..
- Araujo M, Andreana S. Risk and prevention of transmission of infectious diseases in dentistry. Quintessence Int. 2002;33:376-82 pubmed..Such efforts may lead to the development of safer and more effective medical devices, work practices, and personal protective equipment. ..
- El Zammar O, Katzenstein A. Pathological diagnosis of granulomatous lung disease: a review. Histopathology. 2007;50:289-310 pubmed..It concentrates on the most important and common entities that may be encountered and emphasizes helpful features in the differential diagnosis...
- Flaherty D, Vesosky B, Beamer G, Stromberg P, Turner J. Exposure to Mycobacterium avium can modulate established immunity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection generated by Mycobacterium bovis BCG vaccination. J Leukoc Biol. 2006;80:1262-71 pubmed..These findings are relevant for the development of a vaccine administered in regions with elevated levels of environmental mycobacteria. ..
- Cockerill F, Uhl J, Temesgen Z, Zhang Y, Stockman L, Roberts G, et al. Rapid identification of a point mutation of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis catalase-peroxidase (katG) gene associated with isoniazid resistance. J Infect Dis. 1995;171:240-5 pubmed..These results indicate that the mutation arginine-->leucine in codon 463 of the catalase-peroxidase gene occurs in a significant fraction (44.2%) of M. tuberculosis strains with isoniazid MICs > or = 1.0 microgram/mL. ..
- McAdam J, Bucher S, Brickner P, Vincent R, Lascher S. Latent tuberculosis and active tuberculosis disease rates among the homeless, New York, New York, USA, 1992-2006. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:1109-11 pubmed publisher..Although TB case rates fell from 1,502/100,000 population to 0, a 31% LTBI rate in 2006 shows the value of identifying and treating TB in the homeless. ..
- von Reyn C, Williams D, Horsburgh C, Jaeger A, Marsh B, Haslov K, et al. Dual skin testing with Mycobacterium avium sensitin and purified protein derivative to discriminate pulmonary disease due to M. avium complex from pulmonary disease due to Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Infect Dis. 1998;177:730-6 pubmed..MAS-dominant skin tests had a specificity of 97% for discriminating MAC disease from MTB disease. ..
- Rinaggio J. Tuberculosis. Dent Clin North Am. 2003;47:449-65, v pubmed
- Lewinsohn D, Zalwango S, Stein C, Mayanja Kizza H, Okwera A, Boom W, et al. Whole blood interferon-gamma responses to mycobacterium tuberculosis antigens in young household contacts of persons with tuberculosis in Uganda. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3407 pubmed publisher..Young children in a TB endemic setting can mount robust IFN-gamma responses generally comparable to those of adults, and as in adults, these responses correlated with the TST and known epidemiologic risk factors for Mtb infection. ..
- Pavelchak N, Cummings K, Stricof R, Marshall E, Oxtoby M, London M. Negative-Pressure monitoring of tuberculosis isolation rooms within New York State hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2001;22:518-9 pubmed..Continuous monitoring devices were found to have poor reliability. Findings from our survey of engineering controls in acute-care hospitals within New York State support this recommendation. ..
- Lodes M, Dillon D, Mohamath R, Day C, Benson D, Reynolds L, et al. Serological expression cloning and immunological evaluation of MTB48, a novel Mycobacterium tuberculosis antigen. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:2485-93 pubmed..tuberculosis infection when it is combined with other known immunodominant antigens, such as the 38-kDa antigen. ..
- Boctor F, Sridhar S. Reactivation intra-abdominal tuberculosis. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008;79:319 pubmed
- Hirsch C, Johnson J, Okwera A, Kanost R, Wu M, Peters P, et al. Mechanisms of apoptosis of T-cells in human tuberculosis. J Clin Immunol. 2005;25:353-64 pubmed..001). These findings may indicate that, during TB, predisposition of CD4 T-cells to apoptosis may involve both low expression of Bcl-2, and excessive expression of TGF-beta TNF-alpha and FasL. ..
- Chheng P, Tamhane A, Natpratan C, Tan V, Lay V, Sar B, et al. Pulmonary tuberculosis among patients visiting a voluntary confidential counseling and testing center, Cambodia. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2008;12:54-62 pubmed..Such screening through VCCT is feasible. Adding a single culture test to the evaluation of an initial sputum sample set will substantially increase case detection. ..
- LeMense G, VanBakel A, Crumbley A, Judson M. Mycobacterium scrofulaceum infection presenting as lung nodules in a heart transplant recipient. Chest. 1994;106:1918-20 pubmed..Atypical mycobacteria have not been reported as the etiology of pulmonary nodules in a heart transplant recipient. We report a case of Mycobacterium scrofulaceum infection presenting as three discrete pulmonary nodules...
- Hsu R, Connors A, Tomashefski J. Histologic, microbiologic, and clinical correlates of the diagnosis of sarcoidosis by transbronchial biopsy. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1996;120:364-8 pubmed..Secondary objectives were to compare the histologic features of sarcoidosis with those of infectious granulomas and to assess the reliability of histology in establishing the diagnosis of sarcoidosis...
- Chen L, Shi W, Sun X, Fan X, Lesage G, Li H, et al. Critical role of toll-like receptor 9 in morphine and Mycobacterium tuberculosis-Induced apoptosis in mice. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9205 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis administration. These data reveal a role for TLR9 in the immune response to opioids during M. tuberculosis infection. ..
- Johnson J, Okwera A, Vjecha M, Byekwaso F, Nakibali J, Nyole S, et al. Risk factors for relapse in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infected adults with pulmonary tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 1997;1:446-53 pubmed..1 per 100 person-years observation) compared with those treated with a thiacetazone-containing regimen (10.1 per 100 person-years observation). ..
- Tamhane A, Chheng P, Dobbs T, Mak S, Sar B, Kimerling M. Predictors of smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in HIV-infected patients, Battambang, Cambodia. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009;13:347-54 pubmed..Where culture is unavailable, CXR is an important adjunct for diagnosis. However, inaccurate CXR interpretation can impact case detection. ..
- Bhatt K, Uzelac A, Mathur S, McBride A, Potian J, Salgame P. B7 costimulation is critical for host control of chronic Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. J Immunol. 2009;182:3793-800 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the use of costimulation-based immunomodulators may have significant repercussions on the induction of host protective immunity against tuberculosis. ..
- Lein A, von Reyn C, Ravn P, Horsburgh C, Alexander L, Andersen P. Cellular immune responses to ESAT-6 discriminate between patients with pulmonary disease due to Mycobacterium avium complex and those with pulmonary disease due to Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 1999;6:606-9 pubmed..IFN-gamma responses to ESAT-6 are specific for disease due to M. tuberculosis and are not observed in patients with MAC disease or in healthy controls...
- Wallis R, Vinhas S, Johnson J, Ribeiro F, Palaci M, Peres R, et al. Whole blood bactericidal activity during treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. J Infect Dis. 2003;187:270-8 pubmed..018), both of which are indicative of prognosis. These findings indicate that measurement of WBA may have a role in assessing the sterilizing activity of new anti-TB drugs. ..
- Kaplan G, Post F, Moreira A, Wainwright H, Kreiswirth B, Tanverdi M, et al. Mycobacterium tuberculosis growth at the cavity surface: a microenvironment with failed immunity. Infect Immun. 2003;71:7099-108 pubmed
- Fahy R, Morales J, King M. Late reactivation of tuberculosis in an oleothorax. J Thorac Imaging. 2004;19:35-7 pubmed..Long-term complications of oleothorax can occur when the oil is not removed. The authors present an unusual complication of oleothorax, reactivation of tuberculosis, 54 years after oil instillation. ..
- Dong Y, Demaria S, Sun X, Santori F, Jesdale B, De Groot A, et al. HLA-A2-restricted CD8+-cytotoxic-T-cell responses to novel epitopes in Mycobacterium tuberculosis superoxide dismutase, alanine dehydrogenase, and glutamine synthetase. Infect Immun. 2004;72:2412-5 pubmed..We report the identification of three novel HLA-A*0201-restricted CTL epitopes within mycobacterial superoxide dismutase (SodA), L-alanine dehydrogenase (AlaDH), and L-glutamine synthetase (GlnS) proteins. ..
- Myers A, Eilertson B, Fulton S, Flynn J, Canaday D. The purinergic P2X7 receptor is not required for control of pulmonary Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. Infect Immun. 2005;73:3192-5 pubmed..P2X7(-/-) mice controlled infection in lungs as well as wild-type mice, suggesting that the P2X7 receptor is not required for control of pulmonary M. tuberculosis infection. ..
- Toossi Z, Mayanja Kizza H, Baseke J, Peters P, Wu M, Abraha A, et al. Inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV-1) by beta-chemokine analogues in mononuclear cells from HIV-1-infected patients with active tuberculosis. Clin Exp Immunol. 2005;142:327-32 pubmed..Also, CCR5 was fourfold higher on CD14(+) pleural mononuclear cells than on CD4(+) lymphocytes. Blocking new HIV-1 infection of mononuclear cells may be useful in control of HIV-1 during dual HIV-1/TB infection...
- Bona M, Nayak R, Wu M, Mincek M, Ellner J. Immunological screening of a genomic M. bovis BCG library expressed in M. smegmatis and identification of the M. bovis BCG analog of ClpB. Tuber Lung Dis. 1997;78:133-41 pubmed..bovis BCG. A positive signal was also obtained with sera of patients with tuberculosis. This antigen is a previously unrecognized target of the human immune response to mycobacteria. ..
- Klucar P, Barnes P, Kong Y, Howard S, Pang X, Huang F, et al. Vaccination strategies to enhance local immunity and protection against Mycobacteriun tuberculosis. Vaccine. 2009;27:1816-24 pubmed..We conclude that CFP10 is a potential vaccine candidate and that coating vaccines with PEI enhances local protective immunity to tuberculosis ..
- Fontan P, Voskuil M, Gomez M, Tan D, Pardini M, Manganelli R, et al. The Mycobacterium tuberculosis sigma factor sigmaB is required for full response to cell envelope stress and hypoxia in vitro, but it is dispensable for in vivo growth. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:5628-33 pubmed publisher..The sigB mutant was especially defective in survival under hypoxic conditions in vitro, but it was not attenuated for growth in THP-1 cells or during mouse and guinea pig infection. ..
- Cannady S, Chung B, Hirose K, Garabedian N, Van den Abbeele T, Koltai P. Surgical management of cervical ganglioneuromas in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2006;70:287-94 pubmed..This tumor may be suspected in children who are otherwise asymptomatic, and present with long history of enlarging neck masses. ..
- Kuchtey J, Fulton S, Reba S, Harding C, Boom W. Interferon-alphabeta mediates partial control of early pulmonary Mycobacterium bovis bacillus Calmette-Guérin infection. Immunology. 2006;118:39-49 pubmed..These findings suggest that IFN-alphabeta contributes to innate immunity to pulmonary mycobacterial infection by augmenting production of nitric oxide. ..
- Skolik S, Willermain F, Caspers L. Rifabutin-associated panuveitis with retinal vasculitis in pulmonary tuberculosis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2005;13:483-5 pubmed..Only a few poorly documented cases of rifabutin-induced panuveitis with retinal vasculitis have been reported. Here, we report four cases of rifabutin-associated panuveitis with retinal vasculitis...