Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on protein isoforms in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: protein isoforms
Publications505 found, 100 shown here
- Knopfel M, Zhao L, Garrick M. Transport of divalent transition-metal ions is lost in small-intestinal tissue of b/b Belgrade rats. Biochemistry. 2005;44:3454-65 pubmed..Immunofluorescent staining of thin sections of b/b and +/b proximal intestines confirmed that DMT1 localized similarly in mutant and control enterocytes and showed that DMT1 isoforms have distinct distributions within intestinal tissue...
- Hertlein E, Wang J, Ladner K, Bakkar N, Guttridge D. RelA/p65 regulation of IkappaBbeta. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:4956-68 pubmed..Based on these findings, we propose that tight control of IkappaBbeta protein by p65 is necessary for the maintenance of cellular homeostasis. ..
- Chandler D, Singh R, Caldwell L, Bitler J, Lozano G. Genotoxic stress induces coordinately regulated alternative splicing of the p53 modulators MDM2 and MDM4. Cancer Res. 2006;66:9502-8 pubmed..A stepwise model for malignant conversion by which alternate forms of MDM2 and MDM4 place selective pressure on the cells to acquire additional alterations in the p53 pathway is herein proposed. ..
- Rodriguez Contreras D, Feng X, Keeney K, Bouwer H, Landfear S. Phenotypic characterization of a glucose transporter null mutant in Leishmania mexicana. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2007;153:9-18 pubmed..These results underscore the importance of glucose transporters in the parasite life cycle and suggest reasons for their non-viability in the disease-causing amastigote stage...
- Leach S, Salman M, Hamar D. Trace elements and prion diseases: a review of the interactions of copper, manganese and zinc with the prion protein. Anim Health Res Rev. 2006;7:97-105 pubmed..Manganese and zinc have been shown to interact with PrPC as well and have been found in abnormal levels in prion diseases. This review addresses the interaction between select trace elements and the PrPC. ..
- Cai H, Erdman R, Zweier L, Chen J, Shaw J, Baylor K, et al. The sarcoglycan complex in Schwann cells and its role in myelin stability. Exp Neurol. 2007;205:257-69 pubmed..6 hamsters consistent with reduced myelin stability. Together, these findings suggest an important role of sarcoglycans in the stability of peripheral nerve myelin. ..
- Nguyen T, Ogbi M, Johnson J. Delta protein kinase C interacts with the d subunit of the F1F0 ATPase in neonatal cardiac myocytes exposed to hypoxia or phorbol ester. Implications for F1F0 ATPase regulation. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:29831-40 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a novel regulation of the F(1)F(0) ATPase by the delta protein kinase C isozyme. ..
- Robbins E, Travanty E, Yang K, Iczkowski K. MAP kinase pathways and calcitonin influence CD44 alternate isoform expression in prostate cancer cells. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:260 pubmed publisher..These findings could be used in the formulation of therapeutic methods for PC targeting CD44 alternate splicing. ..
- Phillips M, Webb Wood S, Faulkner A, Jabbar S, Biousse V, Newman N, et al. Retinal function and structure in Ant1-deficient mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:6744-52 pubmed publisher..Moderate functional changes coupled with a lack of detectable morphologic changes suggest that ANT1 is not essential for ATP transport in the retina. ..
- Nowack A, Yao J, Custer K, Bajjalieh S. SV2 regulates neurotransmitter release via multiple mechanisms. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010;299:C960-7 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that SV2 performs at least two actions at the synapse that contribute to neurotransmitter release. ..
- Fellows A, Mierke D, Nichols R. AUF1-RGG peptides up-regulate the VEGF antagonist, soluble VEGF receptor-1 (sFlt-1). Cytokine. 2013;64:337-42 pubmed publisher..The AUF1-RGG peptides are novel reagents that reduce VEGF and other inflammatory mediators, and may be useful tools to suppress severe inflammation...
- Scott C, Logsdon N, Wilkins D, Norris T, Sobotka Briner C, Hubbs S, et al. Molecular cloning of the guinea-pig IL-5 receptor alpha and beta subunits and reconstitution of a high affinity receptor. Cytokine. 2000;12:858-66 pubmed..10 and 0.06 nM), similar to that seen with hIL-5Ralphabeta. Thus, both the heteromeric hIL-5R and gpIL-5Ralphabeta(1)can bind multiple IL-5 orthologs with high affinity whereas the murine IL-5R is selective for the murine ligand. ..
- Reiter J, Threadgill D, Eley G, Strunk K, Danielsen A, Sinclair C, et al. Comparative genomic sequence analysis and isolation of human and mouse alternative EGFR transcripts encoding truncated receptor isoforms. Genomics. 2001;71:1-20 pubmed..The presence of truncated receptor isoforms in diverse species suggests that these proteins may have important functional roles in regulating EGFR activity. ..
- Guan W, Somanath P, Kozak A, Goc A, El Remessy A, Ergul A, et al. Vascular protection by angiotensin receptor antagonism involves differential VEGF expression in both hemispheres after experimental stroke. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24551 pubmed publisher..These vascular changes in both hemispheres after effective treatment are likely to contribute to enhanced recovery after stroke. ..
- Azuma M, Fukiage C, Higashine M, Nakajima T, Ma H, Shearer T. Identification and characterization of a retina-specific calpain (Rt88) from rat. Curr Eye Res. 2000;21:710-20 pubmed..So far, all AX1 subfamily members are from eye. Rt88 may perform specific proteolytic functions during development, normal turnover, or pathological degeneration of retinal proteins. ..
- Lu J, Scott P, Strous G, Schuler L. Multiple internalization motifs differentially used by prolactin receptor isoforms mediate similar endocytic pathways. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:2515-27 pubmed..These studies define the basis of cellular trafficking of PRLR isoforms and increase our understanding of control of target cell responsiveness by PRL. ..
- Cartier E, Shen S, Shyng S. Modulation of the trafficking efficiency and functional properties of ATP-sensitive potassium channels through a single amino acid in the sulfonylurea receptor. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:7081-90 pubmed..Because this conservative amino acid substitution occurs in the SUR2A and SUR2B isoforms, the mutation provides a mechanism by which functional diversities in K(ATP) channels are generated...
- Subramanian S, Polikandriotis J, Kelm R, David J, Orosz C, Strauch A. Induction of vascular smooth muscle alpha-actin gene transcription in transforming growth factor beta1-activated myofibroblasts mediated by dynamic interplay between the Pur repressor proteins and Sp1/Smad coactivators. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:4532-43 pubmed..Interplay between Pur repressor isoforms and Sp1 and Smad coactivators may regulate SMA enhancer output in TGFbeta1-activated myofibroblasts during episodes of wound repair and tissue remodeling. ..
- Karim S, Rhee A, Given A, Faulx M, Hoit B, Brozovich F. Vascular reactivity in heart failure: role of myosin light chain phosphatase. Circ Res. 2004;95:612-8 pubmed..The data suggest that the resistance to NO-mediated relaxation observed during CHF lies at least in part at the level of the smooth muscle and is a consequence of the decrease in the expression of the LZ+ MYPT1 isoform. ..
- Betzenhauser M, Fike J, Wagner L, Yule D. Protein kinase A increases type-2 inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor activity by phosphorylation of serine 937. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:25116-25 pubmed publisher..These results provide a mechanism responsible for the enhanced Ca(2+) signaling following PKA activation in cells that express predominantly InsP(3)R2. ..
- Sherwood T, Franke R, Conneely S, Joyner J, Arumugan P, Askwith C. Identification of protein domains that control proton and calcium sensitivity of ASIC1a. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:27899-907 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that specific regions play overlapping roles in pH-dependent gating and PcTx1-dependent modulation of ASIC1a activity, whereas a distinct region determines the calcium dependence of ASIC1a activation. ..
- Chen Y, Somji A, Yu X, Stelzer J. Altered in vivo left ventricular torsion and principal strains in hypothyroid rats. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010;299:H1577-87 pubmed publisher..Thus, increased expression of β-MHC alters the pattern and decreases the magnitude of LV rotation, contributing to reduced mechanical performance during systole, especially in conditions of increased workload. ..
- Chan P, Gabay M, Wright F, Tall G. Ric-8B is a GTP-dependent G protein alphas guanine nucleotide exchange factor. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:19932-42 pubmed publisher..Ric-8BFL-catalyzed nucleotide exchange probably proceeds in the forward direction to produce G?-GTP in cells. ..
- Beach J, Hussey G, Miller T, Chaudhury A, Patel P, Monslow J, et al. Myosin II isoform switching mediates invasiveness after TGF-?-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:17991-6 pubmed publisher..These studies indicate that transition between myosin IIC/myosin IIB expression is a critical feature of EMT that contributes to increases in invasive behavior. ..
- Meier R, Clark B. Angiotensin II-dependent transcriptional activation of human steroidogenic acute regulatory protein gene by a 25-kDa cAMP-responsive element modulator protein isoform and Yin Yang 1. Endocrinology. 2012;153:1256-68 pubmed publisher..The recruitment of these transcription factors to the STAR proximal promoter results in association of CBP and activation of RNA polymerase II leading to increased STAR transcription. ..
- Strege P, Gibbons S, Mazzone A, Bernard C, Beyder A, Farrugia G. EAVK segment "c" sequence confers Ca2+-dependent changes to the kinetics of full-length human Ano1. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2017;312:G572-G579 pubmed publisher..Differential expression of EAVK may function as a calcium-sensitive switch in the human stomach. ..
- Huang X, Pi Y, Lee K, Henkel A, Gregg R, Powers P, et al. Cardiac troponin I gene knockout: a mouse model of myocardial troponin I deficiency. Circ Res. 1999;84:1-8 pubmed
- Russell J. Sodium-potassium-chloride cotransport. Physiol Rev. 2000;80:211-76 pubmed..Although the NKCC has been studied for approximately 20 years, we are only beginning to frame the broad outlines of the structure, function, and regulation of this ubiquitous ion transport mechanism...
- Westphal R, Soderling S, Alto N, Langeberg L, Scott J. Scar/WAVE-1, a Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein, assembles an actin-associated multi-kinase scaffold. EMBO J. 2000;19:4589-600 pubmed..Thus, we propose a previously unrecognized function for WAVE-1 as an actin-associated scaffolding protein that recruits PKA and Abl. ..
- Gallie D, Browning K. eIF4G functionally differs from eIFiso4G in promoting internal initiation, cap-independent translation, and translation of structured mRNAs. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:36951-60 pubmed..This ability may also enable eIF4F to promote translation from standard mRNAs under cellular conditions in which cap-dependent translation is inhibited. ..
- Lavoie H, DeSimone D, Gillio Meina C, Hui Y. Cloning and characterization of porcine ovarian estrogen receptor beta isoforms. Biol Reprod. 2002;66:616-23 pubmed..ER beta is abundant in porcine ovary, and a naturally occurring splice variant missing exon 5 may have biological function. ..
- Bottein Dechraoui M, Ramsdell J. Type B brevetoxins show tissue selectivity for voltage-gated sodium channels: comparison of brain, skeletal muscle and cardiac sodium channels. Toxicon. 2003;41:919-27 pubmed..The lower selectivity of type B brevetoxins for heart sodium channels may result from a more rigid backbone structure than is found in type A brevetoxins and ciguatoxins. ..
- Son D, Roby K, Terranova P. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha induces serum amyloid A3 in mouse granulosa cells. Endocrinology. 2004;145:2245-52 pubmed..Thus, TNF likely increased SAA3 promoter activity and protein by activating NF-kappaB signaling via TNFR1 in mouse granulosa cells. SAA3 is a novel gene in granulosa cells with yet unknown functions in the ovary. ..
- del Re E, Babitt J, Pirani A, Schneyer A, Lin H. In the absence of type III receptor, the transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta type II-B receptor requires the type I receptor to bind TGF-beta2. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:22765-72 pubmed..Our cell-free binding assay system will allow for testing of models of receptor-ligand complexes prior to actual solution of crystal structures. ..
- Gewin L, Myers H, Kiyono T, Galloway D. Identification of a novel telomerase repressor that interacts with the human papillomavirus type-16 E6/E6-AP complex. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2269-82 pubmed..We propose that the induction of telomerase by the HPV-16 E6/E6-AP complex involves targeting of NFX1-91, a newly identified repressor of telomerase, for ubiquitination and degradation. ..
- Silver M, Sower S. Functional characterization and kinetic studies of an ancestral lamprey GnRH-III selective type II GnRH receptor from the sea lamprey, Petromyzon marinus. J Mol Endocrinol. 2006;36:601-10 pubmed
- Wolfman J, Planchon S, Liao J, Wolfman A. Structural and functional consequences of c-N-Ras constitutively associated with intact mitochondria. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1763:1108-24 pubmed
- Singiser R, McCann R. Evidence that talin alternative splice variants from Ciona intestinalis have different roles in cell adhesion. BMC Cell Biol. 2006;7:40 pubmed
- Cai C, Tamai K, Molyneaux K. KHDC1B is a novel CPEB binding partner specifically expressed in mouse oocytes and early embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3137-48 pubmed publisher..Finally, KHDC1B levels and binding partners were shown to fluctuate with the cell cycle. KHDC1B, via its interaction with mCEPB1, may regulate translation of mRNA targets required for oocyte maturation. ..
- Parrott A, Sriram G, Liu Y, Mathews M. Expression of type II chorionic gonadotropin genes supports a role in the male reproductive system. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:287-99 pubmed publisher..A novel peptide is encoded by alternatively spliced transcripts. These findings support the view that type II genes evolved in African great apes to function in the male reproductive system. ..
- Smith R, Papp A, Webb A, Ruble C, Munsie L, Nisenbaum L, et al. Multiple regulatory variants modulate expression of 5-hydroxytryptamine 2A receptors in human cortex. Biol Psychiatry. 2013;73:546-54 pubmed publisher..These results provide a foundation for delineating the role of HTR2A and serotonin signaling in central nervous system disorders. ..
- Hicar M, Liu Y, Allen C, Wu L. Structure of the human zinc finger protein HIVEP3: molecular cloning, expression, exon-intron structure, and comparison with paralogous genes HIVEP1 and HIVEP2. Genomics. 2001;71:89-100 pubmed
- Barker R, Price R, Gourdie R. Increased association of ZO-1 with connexin43 during remodeling of cardiac gap junctions. Circ Res. 2002;90:317-24 pubmed..The increased ZO-1-Cx43 association that occurs after remodeling of myocyte intercellular contacts indicates the possibility of unanticipated roles for ZO-1 in gap junction turnover during cardiac development and disease processes. ..
- Chaudhary P, Baumann T. Expression of VPAC2 receptor and PAC1 receptor splice variants in the trigeminal ganglion of the adult rat. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2002;104:137-42 pubmed..Immunocytochemistry showed PAC1 and VPAC2 to be present in small-diameter TG neurons. Thus, PACAP and VIP are potential mediators of cross-excitation in the TG. ..
- Vary J, Gangaraju V, Qin J, Landel C, Kooperberg C, Bartholomew B, et al. Yeast Isw1p forms two separable complexes in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:80-91 pubmed..In vivo, the two Isw1 complexes have overlapping functions in transcriptional regulation of some genes yet distinct functions at others. In addition, these complexes show different contributions to cell growth at elevated temperatures. ..
- Morton G, Niswender K, Rhodes C, Myers M, Blevins J, Baskin D, et al. Arcuate nucleus-specific leptin receptor gene therapy attenuates the obesity phenotype of Koletsky (fa(k)/fa(k)) rats. Endocrinology. 2003;144:2016-24 pubmed..Adenoviral gene therapy is thus a viable strategy with which to study the physiological importance of specific molecules acting in discrete brain areas. ..
- Kelley G, Kaproth Joslin K, Reks S, Smrcka A, Wojcikiewicz R. G-protein-coupled receptor agonists activate endogenous phospholipase Cepsilon and phospholipase Cbeta3 in a temporally distinct manner. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:2639-48 pubmed..Activation of these PLC isoforms displays agonist-specific temporal profiles; however, PLCbeta3 is predominantly involved in acute and PLCepsilon in sustained PI hydrolysis. ..
- Babu G, Celia G, Rhee A, Yamamura H, Takahashi K, Brozovich F, et al. Effects of h1-calponin ablation on the contractile properties of bladder versus vascular smooth muscle in mice lacking SM-B myosin. J Physiol. 2006;577:1033-42 pubmed
- Razumova M, Shaffer J, Tu A, Flint G, Regnier M, Harris S. Effects of the N-terminal domains of myosin binding protein-C in an in vitro motility assay: Evidence for long-lived cross-bridges. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:35846-54 pubmed..The results suggest that N-terminal domains of MyBP-C slow cross-bridge cycling kinetics by reducing rates of cross-bridge detachment. ..
- Katzenberger R, Marengo M, Wassarman D. ATM and ATR pathways signal alternative splicing of Drosophila TAF1 pre-mRNA in response to DNA damage. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:9256-67 pubmed
- Zhu J, Chen L, Raikhel A. Distinct roles of Broad isoforms in regulation of the 20-hydroxyecdysone effector gene, Vitellogenin, in the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2007;267:97-105 pubmed..In particular, the isoform Z2 is required for 20E-mediated activation of Vg, while isoforms Z1 and Z4 serve as repressors to ensure appropriate termination of Vg expression. ..
- Xi Q, Pauer G, Ball S, Rayborn M, Hollyfield J, Peachey N, et al. Interaction between the photoreceptor-specific tubby-like protein 1 and the neuronal-specific GTPase dynamin-1. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:2837-44 pubmed..These results also raised the possibility that normal synaptic function requires TULP1, and they motivate a closer look at synaptic architecture in the developing tulp1-/- retina. ..
- Kachroo A, Fu D, Havens W, Navarre D, Kachroo P, Ghabrial S. An oleic acid-mediated pathway induces constitutive defense signaling and enhanced resistance to multiple pathogens in soybean. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2008;21:564-75 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate the efficacy of BPMV-induced gene silencing as a tool for functional studies in soybean. ..
- Dahlberg C, Nguyen E, Goodlett D, Kimelman D. Interactions between Casein kinase Iepsilon (CKIepsilon) and two substrates from disparate signaling pathways reveal mechanisms for substrate-kinase specificity. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4766 pubmed publisher..The biochemical interactions between CKIepsilon and Disheveled, Period, and its own C-terminus lead to models that explain CKIepsilon's specificity and regulation. ..
- Bradshaw H, Lee S, McHugh D. Orphan endogenous lipids and orphan GPCRs: a good match. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2009;89:131-4 pubmed publisher..Working to deorphanize both lipids and GPCRs together provides a unique opportunity for a greater understanding of cellular signaling and a challenge to find them all a home. ..
- Jimenez T, Sanchez G, McDermott J, Nguyen A, Kumar T, Blanco G. Increased expression of the Na,K-ATPase alpha4 isoform enhances sperm motility in transgenic mice. Biol Reprod. 2011;84:153-61 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results provide new genetic evidence for the role of the ATP1A4 isoform in sperm motility, under both noncapacitating and capacitating conditions. ..
- O Connor K, Chen M, Towers L. Integrin ?6?4 cooperates with LPA signaling to stimulate Rac through AKAP-Lbc-mediated RhoA activation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2012;302:C605-14 pubmed publisher..In summary, signaling from integrin ?(6)?(4) facilitates LPA-stimulated chemotaxis through preferential activation of RhoA, which, in turn, facilitates activation of Rac1. ..
- Srinivasan S, Patke S, Wang Y, Ye Z, Litt J, Srivastava S, et al. Pathogenic serum amyloid A 1.1 shows a long oligomer-rich fibrillation lag phase contrary to the highly amyloidogenic non-pathogenic SAA2.2. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:2744-55 pubmed publisher..1 and SAA2.2, more than their intrinsic amyloidogenicity, may contribute to their diverse pathogenicity. ..
- Cui X, Witalison E, Chumanevich A, Chumanevich A, Poudyal D, Subramanian V, et al. The induction of microRNA-16 in colon cancer cells by protein arginine deiminase inhibition causes a p53-dependent cell cycle arrest. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53791 pubmed publisher..Our study sheds light into the mechanisms by which PAD inhibition can protect against or treat colon cancer. ..
- Richards Smith B, Novak E, Jang E, He P, Haslam R, Castle D, et al. Analyses of proteins involved in vesicular trafficking in platelets of mouse models of Hermansky Pudlak syndrome. Mol Genet Metab. 1999;68:14-23 pubmed..The Snap23 gene was mapped to mouse chromosome 5, demonstrating it cannot encode the gm gene, which maps to chromosome 14. It is likely therefore that the gm gene functions upstream of SNAP-23 in vesicular trafficking. ..
- Desai R, Vyas B, Earles C, Littleton J, Kowalchyck J, Martin T, et al. The C2B domain of synaptotagmin is a Ca(2+)-sensing module essential for exocytosis. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:1125-36 pubmed..We propose that clustering may regulate the opening or dilation of the exocytotic fusion pore. ..
- Chicka M, Strehler E. Alternative splicing of the first intracellular loop of plasma membrane Ca2+-ATPase isoform 2 alters its membrane targeting. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:18464-70 pubmed
- Denz C, Narshi A, Zajdel R, Dube D. Expression of a novel cardiac-specific tropomyosin isoform in humans. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;320:1291-7 pubmed..The new isoform is designated TPM1kappa and contains exon 2a instead of 2b. Ectopic expression of human GFP.TPM1kappa fusion protein can promote myofibrillogenesis in cardiac mutant axolotl hearts that are lacking in tropomyosin...
- Zhang X, Watson D. The FLI-1 transcription factor is a short-lived phosphoprotein in T cells. J Biochem. 2005;137:297-302 pubmed..Our data suggest that although the FLI-1 and ERG genes are highly homologous, their distinct properties may contribute to their different roles in gene regulation. ..
- Wells C, Dingus J, Hildebrandt J. Role of the chaperonin CCT/TRiC complex in G protein betagamma-dimer assembly. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:20221-32 pubmed..We conclude that the chaperonin CCT/TRiC complex binds to and folds Gbeta subunits and that CCT/TRiC mediates Gbetagamma dimer formation by an ATP-dependent reaction. ..
- Hesselson D, Kimble J. Growth control by EGF repeats of the C. elegans Fibulin-1C isoform. J Cell Biol. 2006;175:217-23 pubmed..We suggest that the larger fragment serves a scaffolding function to stabilize the basement membrane and that the smaller fragment provides a regulatory function at the cell surface or within the ECM to control growth. ..
- Ho Chen J, Bustamante J, Soares M. Prolactin-like protein-f subfamily of placental hormones/cytokines: responsiveness to maternal hypoxia. Endocrinology. 2007;148:559-65 pubmed
- Cruz J, Sieglaff D, Arensburger P, Atkinson P, Raikhel A. Nuclear receptors in the mosquito Aedes aegypti: annotation, hormonal regulation and expression profiling. FEBS J. 2009;276:1233-54 pubmed publisher..aegypti NRs. These data which describe the identification, expression and hormonal regulation of 20 NRs in the yellow fever mosquito lay a solid foundation for future studies on the hormonal regulation of reproduction in mosquitoes. ..
- Mitra D, Brumlik M, Okamgba S, Zhu Y, Duplessis T, Parvani J, et al. An oncogenic isoform of HER2 associated with locally disseminated breast cancer and trastuzumab resistance. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009;8:2152-62 pubmed publisher..One possibility involves a therapeutic strategy employing single-agent tyrosine kinase inhibitors to disengage the functionally coupled oncogenic HER2Delta16 and Src tyrosine kinase pathways. ..
- Kwon S, Florens L, Swanson S, Washburn M, Abmayr S, Workman J. Heterochromatin protein 1 (HP1) connects the FACT histone chaperone complex to the phosphorylated CTD of RNA polymerase II. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2133-45 pubmed publisher..The absence of HP1c partially impairs the recruitment of FACT into heat-shock loci and causes a defect in heat-shock gene expression. Thus, HP1c functions to recruit the FACT complex to RNA polymerase II. ..
- Cudaback E, Li X, Montine K, Montine T, Keene C. Apolipoprotein E isoform-dependent microglia migration. FASEB J. 2011;25:2082-91 pubmed publisher..This study, for the first time, demonstrates apoE dependence and apoE isoform-specific modulation of microglial migration in response to distinct chemotactic stimuli commonly associated with neurodegenerative disease. ..
- Stark B, Wen K, Allingham J, Rubenstein P, Lord M. Functional adaptation between yeast actin and its cognate myosin motors. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:30384-92 pubmed publisher..Our study also highlights the importance of native actin isoforms when considering the function of myosins. ..
- O Hara S, Splinter P, Trussoni C, Gajdos G, Lineswala P, Larusso N. Cholangiocyte N-Ras protein mediates lipopolysaccharide-induced interleukin 6 secretion and proliferation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:30352-60 pubmed publisher..Together, our results support a novel signaling axis involving microbial activation of N-Ras likely involved in the cholangiocyte pathogen-induced proinflammatory response. ..
- Zhang J, Little C, Tremmel D, Yin J, Wesley C. Notch-inducible hyperphosphorylated CREB and its ultradian oscillation in long-term memory formation. J Neurosci. 2013;33:12825-34 pubmed publisher..Because Notch, PKC, and CREB have been implicated in many neurodegenerative diseases (e.g., Alzheimer's disease), our data might also shed some light on memory loss and dementia. ..
- Sakaguchi N, Henzl M, Thalmann I, Thalmann R, Schulte B. Oncomodulin is expressed exclusively by outer hair cells in the organ of Corti. J Histochem Cytochem. 1998;46:29-40 pubmed..Therefore, OM may be involved in mediation of intracellular responses to cholinergic stimulation, which are known to be Ca2+ regulated. (J Histochem Cytochem 46:29-39, 1998) ..
- Yu Z, Zhou D, Bruce Keller A, Kindy M, Mattson M. Lack of the p50 subunit of nuclear factor-kappaB increases the vulnerability of hippocampal neurons to excitotoxic injury. J Neurosci. 1999;19:8856-65 pubmed..Collectively, our data demonstrate an important role for the p50 subunit of NF-kappaB in protecting neurons against excitotoxic cell death. ..
- Deucher A, Efimova T, Eckert R. Calcium-dependent involucrin expression is inversely regulated by protein kinase C (PKC)alpha and PKCdelta. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:17032-40 pubmed..These findings suggest that PKCalpha and PKCdelta are required for, and modulate, calcium-dependent keratinocyte differentiation in opposing directions. ..
- Wasco E, Martinez E, Grant K, St Germain E, St Germain D, Galton V. Determinants of iodothyronine deiodinase activities in rodent uterus. Endocrinology. 2003;144:4253-61 pubmed..Such precise and profound changes in deiodinase expression are likely to play important physiological roles in fetal development and may influence uterine function. ..
- Xiao Y, Hughes A, Ando J, Matsuda Y, Cheng J, Skinner Noble D, et al. A genome-wide screen identifies a single beta-defensin gene cluster in the chicken: implications for the origin and evolution of mammalian defensins. BMC Genomics. 2004;5:56 pubmed..Further analysis of these defensins in different vertebrate lineages will shed light on the mechanisms of host defense and evolution of innate immunity. ..
- Zhu Y, Stiller J, Shaner M, Baldini A, Scemama J, Capehart A. Cloning of somatolactin alpha and beta cDNAs in zebrafish and phylogenetic analysis of two distinct somatolactin subtypes in fish. J Endocrinol. 2004;182:509-18 pubmed..These results suggest the presence of two distinct SL families, SLalpha and SLbeta, which may trace back to a teleost genome duplication prior to divergence of the cyprinids and salmonids. ..
- Schraw T, Crawford G, Ren Q, Choi W, Thurmond D, Pessin J, et al. Platelets from Munc18c heterozygous mice exhibit normal stimulus-induced release. Thromb Haemost. 2004;92:829-37 pubmed
- Liang P, Nair J, Song L, McGuire J, Dolnick B. Comparative genomic analysis reveals a novel mitochondrial isoform of human rTS protein and unusual phylogenetic distribution of the rTS gene. BMC Genomics. 2005;6:125 pubmed..Our report also presents an example of identifying novel protein isoforms and for improving gene annotation through comparative genomic analysis. ..
- Greaser M, Krzesinski P, Warren C, Kirkpatrick B, Campbell K, Moss R. Developmental changes in rat cardiac titin/connectin: transitions in normal animals and in mutants with a delayed pattern of isoform transition. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2005;26:325-32 pubmed..These mutant animals may prove useful for examining the role of titin in stretch-activated signal transduction and in the Frank-Starling relationship. ..
- Grifoni S, Jernigan N, Hamilton G, Drummond H. ASIC proteins regulate smooth muscle cell migration. Microvasc Res. 2008;75:202-10 pubmed..ASIC2 suppression produced a small, but significant, increase in chemotactic migration (4%). Our data indicate that ASIC expression is required for normal migration and may suggest a novel role for ASIC proteins in cellular migration. ..
- Titsworth W, cheng x, Ke Y, Deng L, Burckardt K, Pendleton C, et al. Differential expression of sPLA2 following spinal cord injury and a functional role for sPLA2-IIA in mediating oligodendrocyte death. Glia. 2009;57:1521-37 pubmed publisher..Therefore, sPLA(2)-IIA may be an important mediator of oligodendrocyte death and a novel target for therapeutic intervention following SCI. ..
- Choi Y, Snigdha S, Shahid M, Neill J, Tarazi F. Subchronic effects of phencyclidine on dopamine and serotonin receptors: implications for schizophrenia. J Mol Neurosci. 2009;38:227-35 pubmed publisher..Subchronic PCP treatment did not alter levels of D(2), D(4), and 5HT(2A) receptors in all brain regions examined, which suggests a minimal role for these receptors in mediating subchronic actions of PCP in adult rats. ..
- Romano R, Ortt K, Birkaya B, Smalley K, Sinha S. An active role of the DeltaN isoform of p63 in regulating basal keratin genes K5 and K14 and directing epidermal cell fate. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5623 pubmed publisher..DeltaNp63 is a critical mediator of keratinocyte stratification program and directly regulates the basal keratin genes. ..