Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on prevalence in Israel
Publications129 found, 100 shown here
- Aroch I, Klement E, Segev G. Clinical, biochemical, and hematological characteristics, disease prevalence, and prognosis of dogs presenting with neutrophil cytoplasmic toxicity. J Vet Intern Med. 2005;19:64-73 pubmed..We conclude that evaluation of blood smears for neutrophil cytoplasmic toxicity provides useful clinical information and can serve as a good prognostic predictor. ..
- Levy Y, Nakum A, Segal N, Monselise Y, Danon Y. The association of selective IgA deficiency and IgE hypogammaglobulinemia. Allergy. 2005;60:836-8 pubmed
- Kedmi M, Levi S, Galon N, Bomborov V, Yadin H, Batten C, et al. No evidence for involvement of sheep in the epidemiology of cattle virulent epizootic hemorrhagic disease virus. Vet Microbiol. 2011;148:408-12 pubmed publisher..2%, 16.7% respectively, p<0.0001), suggesting higher exposure of cattle to biting Culicoides midges. Taken together, these results imply that sheep have a negligible role in the epidemiology of EHDV. ..
- Amit U, Dagan R, Yagupsky P. Prevalence of pharyngeal carriage of Kingella kingae in young children and risk factors for colonization. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013;32:191-3 pubmed publisher..kingae colonization in both ethnic groups; day-care attendance was a risk factor in Jewish children, whereas living in a shanty town was negatively associated with carriage in Bedouins. ..
- Kesler A, Ellis M, Manor Y, Gadoth N, Lishner M. Neurological complications of essential thrombocytosis (ET). Acta Neurol Scand. 2000;102:299-302 pubmed..Our observation suggests that further investigation focusing on the possible mechanisms for neurological deficits in females with ET should be considered. ..
- Ben Horin S, Avidan B, Yanai H, Lang A, Chowers Y, Bar Meir S. Familial clustering of Crohn's disease in Israel: prevalence and association with disease severity. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2009;15:171-5 pubmed publisher..The prevalence of familial disease among Jewish CD patients in Israel is at the high range of the rate found in other ethnicities. Having a positive family history of IBD has no impact on the severity of the disease. ..
- Dickman R, Kislov J, Boaz M, Ron Y, Beniashvili Z, Raz I, et al. Prevalence of symptoms suggestive of gastroparesis in a cohort of patients with diabetes mellitus. J Diabetes Complications. 2013;27:376-9 pubmed publisher..The prevalence of symptoms suggestive of gastroparesis among patients with diabetes mellitus in Israel is high and is independently associated with female sex and metformin therapy. ..
- Elnekave E, Van Maanen K, Shilo H, Gelman B, Storm N, Berdenstain S, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for foot and mouth disease infection in small ruminants in Israel. Prev Vet Med. 2016;125:82-8 pubmed publisher..This conclusion may be applicable for other endemic countries in which, similar to Israel, all livestock are vaccinated against FMD. ..
- Yaniv M, Becker T, Goldwirt M, Khamis S, Steinberg D, Weintroub S. Prevalence of bowlegs among child and adolescent soccer players. Clin J Sport Med. 2006;16:392-6 pubmed..The prevalence was more pronounced among players aged 13 years or older. Further research is needed to explore the rationale of this phenomenon. ..
- Anekstein Y, Smorgick Y, Lotan R, Agar G, Shalmon E, Floman Y, et al. Diabetes mellitus as a risk factor for the development of lumbar spinal stenosis. Isr Med Assoc J. 2010;12:16-20 pubmed..There is an association between diabetes and lumbar spinal stenosis. Diabetes mellitus may be a predisposing factor for the development of lumbar spinal stenosis. ..
- Gayer G, Hertz M, Zissin R. Postoperative pneumoperitoneum: prevalence, duration, and possible significance. Semin Ultrasound CT MR. 2004;25:286-9 pubmed..This review discusses factors influencing the prevalence of PP and its range of duration. ..
- Davidovitch M, Golan D, Vardi O, Lev D, Lerman Sagie T. Israeli children with autism spectrum disorder are not macrocephalic. J Child Neurol. 2011;26:580-5 pubmed publisher..We conclude that there is no increased prevalence of macrocephaly in Israeli children with autism; this can be attributed to a different genetic background. ..
- Glasser S, Barell V, Shoham A, Ziv A, Boyko V, Lusky A, et al. Prospective study of postpartum depression in an Israeli cohort: prevalence, incidence and demographic risk factors. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 1998;19:155-64 pubmed..The use of the EPDS for PPD screening was found acceptable and feasible in the primary health setting. ..
- Gill H, Paperna I. Proliferative visceral Isospora (atoxoplasmosis) with morbid impact on the Israeli sparrow Passer domesticus biblicus Hartert, 1904. Parasitol Res. 2008;103:493-9 pubmed publisher..Proliferative visceral Isospora infection (atoxoplasmosis) is one of the more severe causes of mortality among captive birds, free-ranging birds appear to coexist with the infection but succumb under capture stress...
- Dyachenko P, Monselise A, Shustak A, Ziv M, Rozenman D. Nail disorders in patients with chronic renal failure and undergoing haemodialysis treatment: a case-control study. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2007;21:340-4 pubmed..Patients with CRF and those undergoing HD therapy have higher rates of nail disorders when compared to a healthy population. Efficient HD does not improve nail changes. ..
- Kalichman L, Hernández Molina G. Hand osteoarthritis: an epidemiological perspective. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2010;39:465-76 pubmed publisher..Several risk factors for hand OA have been identified; however, their interrelationship is not clearly understood. The development of preventive strategies and future research goals is needed. ..
- Goldberg H, Aharony S, Levy Y, Sivan B, Baniel J, Ben Meir D. Low prevalence of latex allergy in children with spinal dysraphism in non-latex-free environment. J Pediatr Urol. 2016;12:52.e1-5 pubmed publisher..More studies are needed to validate our conclusion that using minimal avoidance measures, without maintaining a strict latex free environment, seems sufficient to prevent clinical latex allergy, at least in the Mediterranean region. ..
- Friedman M, Kahane S, Dvoskin B, Hartley J. Detection of Simkania negevensis by culture, PCR, and serology in respiratory tract infection in Cornwall, UK. J Clin Pathol. 2006;59:331-3 pubmed..Empirical treatment of serious respiratory tract infection should consider the possible contribution of these organisms. ..
- Carmi Iluz T, Peleg R, Freud T, Shvartzman P. Verbal and physical violence towards hospital- and community-based physicians in the Negev: an observational study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2005;5:54 pubmed..The impatience that accompanies waiting times may have a cultural element. Shortening waiting times and providing more information to patients and families could reduce the rate of violence, but a cultural change may also be required. ..
- Levine H, Balicer R, Rozhavski V, Halperin T, Shreberk M, Davidovitch N, et al. Seroepidemiology of Epstein-Barr virus and cytomegalovirus among Israeli male young adults. Ann Epidemiol. 2012;22:783-8 pubmed publisher..Socioeconomic disparities exist in the seroprevalence rates of CMV and EBV among Israeli male young adults. The results of the study could aid public health efforts and determine target populations when a vaccine becomes available. ..
- Baneth G, Breitschwerdt E, Hegarty B, Pappalardo B, Ryan J. A survey of tick-borne bacteria and protozoa in naturally exposed dogs from Israel. Vet Parasitol. 1998;74:133-42 pubmed..burgdorferi is likely. Seroreactivity to B. vinsonii (berkhoffii) in dogs outside the USA is reported here for the first time. ..
- Lieberman D, Dvoskin B, Lieberman D, Kahane S, Friedman M. Serological evidence of acute infection with the Chlamydia-like microorganism Simkania negevensis (Z) in acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2002;21:307-9 pubmed..The implications of these findings should be investigated further. ..
- Meltzer E, Yossepowitch O, Sadik C, Dan M, Schwartz E. Epidemiology and clinical aspects of enteric fever in Israel. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006;74:540-5 pubmed..The reasons for the difference in causative agents along ethnic lines need further evaluation. A more efficient vaccine for travelers that includes S. Paratyphi A is needed. ..
- Milo R, Kahana E. Multiple sclerosis: geoepidemiology, genetics and the environment. Autoimmun Rev. 2010;9:A387-94 pubmed publisher..The epidemiological data, combined with pathological and immunological data, may contribute to the debate whether MS is an autoimmune disease, a latent or persistent viral disease, or a neurodegenerative disease. ..
- Goldberg I, Auriel E, Russell D, Korczyn A. Microembolism, silent brain infarcts and dementia. J Neurol Sci. 2012;322:250-3 pubmed publisher..The role of transcranial Doppler as an objective tool for detecting and quantifying microemboli is discussed in light of recent clinical evidence. ..
- Carter D, Maor Y, Bar Meir S, Avidan B. Prevalence and predictive signs for gastrointestinal lesions in premenopausal women with iron deficiency anemia. Dig Dis Sci. 2008;53:3138-44 pubmed publisher..Further endoscopic evaluation can be reserved for those women who are found to be negative in the initial evaluation, as well as in cases of failure of IDA remission after successful HP eradication. ..
- Amit M, Molad Y, Levy O, Wysenbeek A. Headache in systemic lupus erythematosus and its relation to other disease manifestations. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 1999;17:467-70 pubmed..Headache is common in SLE, and in the majority of patients is related to musculoskeletal and constitutional disease manifestations. ..
- Chaim W, Bashiri A, Bar David J, Shoham Vardi I, Mazor M. Prevalence and clinical significance of postpartum endometritis and wound infection. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2000;8:77-82 pubmed..Awareness of the aforementioned associations may prevent and shorten hospital stay by early diagnosis and appropriate treatment. ..
- Shoenfeld N, Amital H, Shoenfeld Y. The effect of melanism and vitamin D synthesis on the incidence of autoimmune disease. Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol. 2009;5:99-105 pubmed publisher..This article explores the relationship between skin pigmentation, vitamin D and the prevalence of autoimmune disease. ..
- Polachek I, Harari L, Baum M, Strous R. Postpartum post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms: the uninvited birth companion. Isr Med Assoc J. 2012;14:347-53 pubmed..A short questionnaire following childbirth may enable rapid identification of symptoms relevant to PTSD. ..
- Weiner Z, Beck Fruchter R, Weiss A, Hujirat Y, Shalev E, Shalev S. Thrombophilia and stillbirth: possible connection by intrauterine growth restriction. BJOG. 2004;111:780-3 pubmed..4%, P < 0.0001). There is no association between thrombophilia and stillbirth, overall. However, there is a clear association between thrombophilia and stillbirth of extremely growth restricted infants. ..
- Berginer V, Gross B, Morad K, Kfir N, Morkos S, Aaref S, et al. Chronic diarrhea and juvenile cataracts: think cerebrotendinous xanthomatosis and treat. Pediatrics. 2009;123:143-7 pubmed publisher..Prevention is particularly significant in light of the availability of early genetic diagnosis and the devastating effects of this illness if not treated. ..
- Markovich M, Shohat T, Riklis I, Avni R, Yujelevski Rozenblit D, Bassal R, et al. Seroepidemiology of Toxoplasma gondii infection in the Israeli population. Epidemiol Infect. 2014;142:149-55 pubmed publisher..1% in Jews, 25.4% in Bedouins and 72.3% in Arabs (non-Bedouins). Thus, the majority of pregnant women are susceptible to primary infection with T. gondii, and the risk for congenital toxoplasmosis remains high. ..
- Leibovitz A, Plotnikov G, Habot B, Rosenberg M, Segal R. Pathogenic colonization of oral flora in frail elderly patients fed by nasogastric tube or percutaneous enterogastric tube. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2003;58:52-5 pubmed..These findings are related to the risk of aspiration pneumonia and are compelling for the reevaluation of current oral cleansing procedures. ..
- Avisar R, Friling R, Snir M, Avisar I, Weinberger D. Estimation of prevalence and incidence rates and causes of blindness in Israel, 1998-2003. Isr Med Assoc J. 2006;8:880-1 pubmed..The results indicate that the incidence of age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and maculopathy in Israel is increasing, while that of glaucoma, myopic maculopthy, optic atrophy and cataract is decreasing. ..
- Sperber A, Shvartzman P, Friger M, Fich A. A comparative reappraisal of the Rome II and Rome III diagnostic criteria: are we getting closer to the 'true' prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome?. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007;19:441-7 pubmed..Rome III may more closely reflect the socioeconomic burden of irritable bowel syndrome compared with the overly strict Rome II. Prospective comparative studies should be conducted to confirm these results. ..
- Baris H, Kedar I, Halpern G, Shohat T, Magal N, Ludman M, et al. Prevalence of breast and colorectal cancer in Ashkenazi Jewish carriers of Fanconi anemia and Bloom syndrome. Isr Med Assoc J. 2007;9:847-50 pubmed..5%) including 11 breast (2.2%) and 11 colon cancers (2.2%). We found no significantly increased prevalence of malignancies among carriers in at least three generations compared to the controls. ..
- Dreiher J, Weitzman D, Davidovici B, Shapiro J, Cohen A. Psoriasis and dyslipidaemia: a population-based study. Acta Derm Venereol. 2008;88:561-5 pubmed publisher..This study supports previous reports of an association between psoriasis and lipid abnormalities. ..
- Kaufmann R, Goldberg Stern H, Shuper A. Attention-deficit disorders and epilepsy in childhood: incidence, causative relations and treatment possibilities. J Child Neurol. 2009;24:727-33 pubmed publisher..Methylphenidate is considered safe for use in children who are seizure-free. However, the few reports of seizure aggravation in methylphenidate-treated children with uncontrolled epilepsy have raised concern. ..
- Katz Y, Goldberg M, Rajuan N, Cohen A, Leshno M. The prevalence and natural course of food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome to cow's milk: a large-scale, prospective population-based study. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;127:647-53.e1-3 pubmed publisher..Most patients with FPIES recover, although a proportion might convert to IgE-CMA. The likelihood for a cross-reactivity to soy in this population was less than previously estimated. ..
- Gorsky M, Bukai A, Shohat M. Genetic influence on the prevalence of torus palatinus. Am J Med Genet. 1998;75:138-40 pubmed..3%) was observed compared to the expected figure (50%) for an autosomal dominant trait with full penetrance. This is explained by the high gene frequency of TP and the relatively high proportion of homozygous parents. ..
- Lieberman D, Shmarkov O, Gelfer Y, Varshavsky R, Lieberman D. Prevalence and clinical significance of fever in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2003;22:75-8 pubmed..These episodes are characterized by lower rates of bronchitis manifestations in patients with more severe disease. Although the length of hospitalization for these episodes is shorter, the readmission rate is higher. ..
- Niv Y, Battler A, Abuksis G, Gal E, Sapoznikov B, Vilkin A. Endoscopy in asymptomatic minidose aspirin consumers. Dig Dis Sci. 2005;50:78-80 pubmed..Univariate and multivariate analysis revealed no factor other than aspirin predictive of a positive endoscopy. Minidose aspirin treatment is associated with a high prevalence of ulcerations of the stomach and duodenum. ..
- Tishler M, Levy O, Maslakov I, Bar Chaim S, Amit Vazina M. Neck injury and fibromyalgia-- are they really associated?. J Rheumatol. 2006;33:1183-5 pubmed..Whiplash injury and road accident trauma were not associated with an increased rate of FM after more than 14.5 months of followup. ..
- Schlesinger M, Nave Z, Levy Y, Slater P, Fishelson Z. Prevalence of hereditary properdin, C7 and C8 deficiencies in patients with meningococcal infections. Clin Exp Immunol. 1990;81:423-7 pubmed..This and other findings indicate that the type of complement abnormality found in association with meningococcal infections varies with the ethnic origin of the patient. ..
- Bashiri A, Burstein E, Rosen S, Smolin A, Sheiner E, Mazor M. Clinical significance of uterine scar dehiscence in women with previous cesarean delivery: prevalence and independent risk factors. J Reprod Med. 2008;53:8-14 pubmed..Preterm delivery, nonprogress of labor during the first stage and number of previous CDs were found to be independent risk factors for uterine scar dehiscence. In contrast, parity had a protective effect against dehiscence. ..
- Ifergane G, Buskila D, Simiseshvely N, Jotkowitz A, Kaplan Z, Cohen H. Post-traumatic stress disorder is not over-represented in a sample population of migraine patients. Eur J Intern Med. 2009;20:182-5 pubmed publisher..Migraine patients with co-morbid PTSD had higher MIDAS scores than other migraine patients. Migraine patients do not suffer from PTSD more than the general population. When they do suffer from PTSD they report high levels of disability. ..
- Glasser S, Stoski E, Kneler V, Magnezi R. Postpartum depression among Israeli Bedouin women. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2011;14:203-8 pubmed publisher..The high rate of PPD among these Israeli Bedouin women challenges health authorities to find ways minimize the negative consequences for themselves, their children, and families. ..
- Beryozkin A, Levy G, Blumenfeld A, Meyer S, Namburi P, Morad Y, et al. Genetic Analysis of the Rhodopsin Gene Identifies a Mosaic Dominant Retinitis Pigmentosa Mutation in a Healthy Individual. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016;57:940-7 pubmed publisher..The novel mutation exhibits a unique phenomenon in which an unaffected individual is mosaic for an adRP-causing mutation. ..
- Ashkenazi S, Levy I, Kazaronovski V, Samra Z. Growing antimicrobial resistance of Shigella isolates. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2003;51:427-9 pubmed..00001), high resistance to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (94%) and ampicillin (85%) and emerging resistance to quinolones (0.5-2%). These data mandate local monitoring of resistance and its consideration in empirical therapy. ..
- Appelman Z, Hazan Y, Hagay Z. High prevalence of müllerian anomalies diagnosed by ultrasound in women with polycystic ovaries. J Reprod Med. 2003;48:362-4 pubmed..2%) had uterine müllerian anomalies; 17 (18.1%) were found in the normal ovary group (P < .0001). There is an association between polycystic ovaries and high rate of uterine müllerian anomalies. ..
- Zadik Y, Bechor R, Galor S, Justo D, Heruti R. Erectile dysfunction might be associated with chronic periodontal disease: two ends of the cardiovascular spectrum. J Sex Med. 2009;6:1111-1116 pubmed publisher..007) in comparison to men without ED. ED might be associated with CPD. These preliminary findings are consistent with theories that associate these conditions with systemic inflammation, endothelial dysfunction, and atherosclerosis. ..
- Liberty G, Hyman J, Eldar Geva T, Latinsky B, Gal M, Margalioth E. Ovarian hemorrhage after transvaginal ultrasonographically guided oocyte aspiration: a potentially catastrophic and not so rare complication among lean patients with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2010;93:874-9 pubmed publisher..Although acute hemorrhage is a rare event after TVOA, lean patients with PCOS specifically are at much higher risk for this complication. ..
- Lahat A, Kopylov U, Neuman S, Levhar N, Yablecovitch D, Avidan B, et al. Helicobacter pylori prevalence and clinical significance in patients with quiescent Crohn's disease. BMC Gastroenterol. 2017;17:27 pubmed publisher..The influence of HP on CD activity merits further investigation. ..
- Paul M, Gafter Gvili A, Leibovici L, Bishara J, Levy I, Yaniv I, et al. The epidemiology of bacteremia with febrile neutropenia: experience from a single center, 1988-2004. Isr Med Assoc J. 2007;9:424-9 pubmed..Empiric antibiotic treatment should be tailored to patients' risk for multidrug-resistant organisms. Individual hospitals should monitor infection epidemiology among cancer patients to guide empiric antibiotic treatment. ..
- Blickstein I. Cerebral palsy in multifoetal pregnancies. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2002;44:352-5 pubmed
- Kaplan G, Glasser S, Murad H, Atamna A, Alpert G, Goldbourt U, et al. Depression among Arabs and Jews in Israel: a population-based study. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2010;45:931-9 pubmed publisher..After adjusting for all variables in the analysis, no significant association remained between ethnicity and depression (OR = 0.80; 95% CI = 0.45-1.40). ..
- Yagupsky P, Dagan R, Prajgrod F, Merires M. Respiratory carriage of Kingella kingae among healthy children. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1995;14:673-8 pubmed..kingae infection. The prevalence of pharyngeal carriage among surgical patients was 8.0%, and the organism was not isolated from any of the infants younger than 6 months attending the well-baby-care clinic...
- Kalter Leibovici O, Atamna A, Lubin F, Alpert G, Keren M, Murad H, et al. Obesity among Arabs and Jews in Israel: a population-based study. Isr Med Assoc J. 2007;9:525-30 pubmed..The high prevalence of obesity among Arab women may be explained by lifestyle characteristics. Prevention of obesity in Arabs should be directed at women and should start preferably before adulthood. ..
- Dagan R, Givon Lavi N, Porat N, Greenberg D. The effect of an alternative reduced-dose infant schedule and a second year catch-up schedule with 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on pneumococcal carriage: a randomized controlled trial. Vaccine. 2012;30:5132-40 pubmed publisher..However, after booster, most of these differences disappear. A 2-dose second year catch-up campaign may enhance the reduction of PCV7-serotype spread in the community. ..
- Davidson I, Borenstein R. Multiple infection of chickens and turkeys with avian oncogenic viruses: prevalence and molecular analysis. Acta Virol. 1999;43:136-42 pubmed..1992)...
- Landau R, Litwin H. The effects of extreme early stress in very old age. J Trauma Stress. 2000;13:473-87 pubmed
- Harrus S, Klement E, Aroch I, Stein T, Bark H, Lavy E, et al. Retrospective study of 46 cases of feline haemobartonellosis in Israel and their relationships with FeLV and FIV infections. Vet Rec. 2002;151:82-5 pubmed..The cats infected with both Haemobartonella felis and FeLV had a significantly lower body temperature, were more anaemic and the mean cell volume of their erythrocytes was greater than in the cats with haemobartonellosis alone...
- Krause I, Monselise Y, Milo G, Weinberger A. Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae antibodies--a novel serologic marker for Behçet's disease. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2002;20:S21-4 pubmed..e. ASCA, with BD. ASCA were not linked to a specific clinical manifestation of the disease and probably do not pose an increased risk for a more severe disease course. ..
- Friedman M, Dvoskin B, Kahane S. Infections with the chlamydia-like microorganism Simkania negevensis, a possible emerging pathogen. Microbes Infect. 2003;5:1013-21 pubmed..Of all such organisms, Simkania negevensis is probably the most extensively studied. This review summarizes current knowledge about this intracellular bacterium, focusing especially on human infections...
- Diamond G, Senecky Y, Schurr D, Zuckerman J, Inbar D, Eidelman A, et al. Pre-placement screening in international adoption. Isr Med Assoc J. 2003;5:763-6 pubmed..A family's decision to adopt or not was associated with the child's performance on Bayley Scales, weight, and current medical status, but not with language delays, serious past medical history or suspect family background. ..
- Gam A, Goldstein L, Karmon Y, Mintser I, Grotto I, Guri A, et al. Comparison of stress fractures of male and female recruits during basic training in the Israeli anti-aircraft forces. Mil Med. 2005;170:710-2 pubmed..Because the Israeli Defense Forces opened traditionally male roles in combat units to female recruits, their high risk for stress fractures is of concern...
- Eisen A, Tenenbaum A, Koren Morag N, Tanne D, Shemesh J, Imazio M, et al. Calcification of the thoracic aorta as detected by spiral computed tomography among stable angina pectoris patients: association with cardiovascular events and death. Circulation. 2008;118:1328-34 pubmed publisher..Calcification of the thoracic aorta is age related and associated with coronary calcification and valvular calcification. Thoracic aortic calcification is associated with an increased risk of death and cardiovascular disease. ..
- Goldbart A, Dreiher J, Vardy D, Alkrinawi S, Cohen A. Nonattendance in pediatric pulmonary clinics: an ambulatory survey. BMC Pulm Med. 2009;9:12 pubmed publisher..The factors associated with nonattendance in pediatric pulmonary clinics include the length of waiting time for an appointment, the hour of the appointment within the day and the origin of the patient. ..
- Stienlauf S, Yahalom V, Schwartz E, Shinar E, Segal G, Sidi Y. Epidemiology of human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 1 infection in blood donors, Israel. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:1116-8 pubmed publisher..In donors originating from Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Latin America, prevalences are 7.7, 14.6, and 20.4, respectively. HTLV-1 prevalence may be high outside areas where HTLV-1 previously was known to be endemic. ..
- Miron D, Srugo I, Kra Oz Z, Keness Y, Wolf D, Amirav I, et al. Sole pathogen in acute bronchiolitis: is there a role for other organisms apart from respiratory syncytial virus?. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2010;29:e7-e10 pubmed publisher..RSV was the most prevalent sole detected organism. The relevance of all other organisms may be much less than previously suggested. ..
- Shapiro D, Sonnenblick M, Galperin I, Melkonyan L, Munter G. Severe hyponatraemia in elderly hospitalized patients: prevalence, aetiology and outcome. Intern Med J. 2010;40:574-80 pubmed publisher..Severe hyponatraemia in elderly hospitalized medical patients is more frequent in women and of multifactorial aetiology in 50% of cases. It is most commonly caused by SIADH; CSWS is an unlikely cause. ..
- Weiss S. Alcohol use and treatment among Former Soviet Union immigrants in Israel: review of publications July 2009-December 2011. J Addict Dis. 2012;31:397-406 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the review describes a severe worsening in alcohol use among FSU detached youth and no differences in alcohol use among early and recent immigrants between the ages of 18 and 40 years. ..
- Hershkovich O, Friedlander A, Gordon B, Arzi H, Derazne E, Tzur D, et al. Associations of body mass index and body height with low back pain in 829,791 adolescents. Am J Epidemiol. 2013;178:603-9 pubmed publisher..438 (P < 0.001) for males and 1.224 (P < 0.001) for females. Low back pain with or without objective findings was associated with overweight and obesity as well as with height. ..
- Verstandig A, Berelowitz D, Zaghal I, Goldin I, Olsha O, Shamieh B, et al. Stent grafts for central venous occlusive disease in patients with ipsilateral hemodialysis access. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2013;24:1280-7; quiz 1288 pubmed publisher..Coverage of major vein confluences, which occurred in 83% of the patients in this series, can compromise future access and should be avoided whenever possible by careful technique. ..
- Rojas A, Rojas D, Montenegro V, Gutierrez R, Yasur Landau D, Baneth G. Vector-borne pathogens in dogs from Costa Rica: first molecular description of Babesia vogeli and Hepatozoon canis infections with a high prevalence of monocytic ehrlichiosis and the manifestations of co-infection. Vet Parasitol. 2014;199:121-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, prevention of tick infestation is recommended to decrease the threat of these diseases to the canine population...
- Rissling M, Gray K, Ulmer C, Martin J, Zaslavsky O, Gray S, et al. Sleep Disturbance, Diabetes, and Cardiovascular Disease in Postmenopausal Veteran Women. Gerontologist. 2016;56 Suppl 1:S54-66 pubmed publisher..Increased awareness of women Veterans' vulnerability to postmenopausal insomnia + SDB may be particularly important for health care providers who treat this population. ..
- Karetnyi Y, Mendelson E, Shlyakhov E, Rubinstein E, Golubev N, Levin R, et al. Prevalence of antibodies against hepatitis A virus among new immigrants in Israel. J Med Virol. 1995;46:61-5 pubmed..It is concluded that immigrants originating from the European part of the former USSR may require vaccination against hepatitis A. ..
- Solomon Z. The impact of posttraumatic stress disorder in military situations. J Clin Psychiatry. 2001;62 Suppl 17:11-5 pubmed..The longer-term detrimental consequences of PTSD and the impact of secondary traumatization. reactivation, and delayed-onset PTSD are also addressed. ..
- Sidi R, Levy Nissenbaum E, Kreiss Y, Kreiss I, Pras E. Clinical manifestations in Israeli cystinuria patients and molecular assessment of carrier rates in Libyan Jewish controls. Isr Med Assoc J. 2003;5:439-42 pubmed..Mutations in SLC3A1 cause type I disease, while mutations in SLC7A9 are associated with non-type I disease. In Israel, cystinuria is especially common among Libyan Jews who suffer from non-type I disease...
- Trattner A, Farchi Y, David M. Shoe contact dermatitis in Israel. Am J Contact Dermat. 2003;14:12-4 pubmed..Patch testing with the shoe series may be useful for the diagnosis of shoe contact dermatitis...
- Leighton Bellichach A. A personal and ethical perspective on chronic wound pain. Br J Nurs. 2006;15:909-11 pubmed
- Hartman C, Shamir R, Hecht C, Koletzko B. Malnutrition screening tools for hospitalized children. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2012;15:303-9 pubmed publisher..The near future will provide us with comparative data on the existing tools which may contribute to delineating a standard for useful nutrition screening in pediatrics. ..
- Lyakhovitsky A, Shemer A, Amichai B. Molecular analysis of Malassezia species isolated from Israeli patients with pityriasis versicolor. Int J Dermatol. 2013;52:231-3 pubmed publisher..The clinical significance of each of these species is not fully understood. M. furfur has long been identified as the causative agent of PV. Several recent studies suggest that M. globosa is most frequently associated with PV...
- Nitzan O, Elias M, Chazan B, Raz R, Saliba W. Clostridium difficile and inflammatory bowel disease: role in pathogenesis and implications in treatment. World J Gastroenterol. 2013;19:7577-85 pubmed publisher..The aim of this paper is to review recent data on CDI in IBD: role in pathogenesis, diagnostic methods, optional treatments, and outcomes of these patients. ..
- Sagy I, Salman A, Kezerle L, Erez O, Yoel I, Barski L. Peripartum cardiomyopathy is associated with increased uric acid concentrations: A population based study. Heart Lung. 2017;46:369-374 pubmed publisher..This observation aligns with previous report regarding the increased uric acid concentration in women with preeclampsia and congestive heart failure, suggestive of a common underlying mechanism that mediates the myocardial damage. ..
- Samra Z, Gadba R, Ofir O. Antibiotic susceptibility and phage typing of methicillin-resistant and -sensitive Staphylococcus aureus clinical isolates at three periods during 1991-1997. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2001;20:425-7 pubmed..Of the isolates that were sensitive to group III phages, 96% were methicillin resistant, and 70.5% of them were sensitive to phages 75 and 85. ..
- Meltzer E, Schwartz E. Enteric fever: an Israeli perspective. Isr Med Assoc J. 2007;9:736-41 pubmed..Unfortunately, with the limited efficacy of the current typhoid vaccinations and the increase in multidrug-resistant strains, cases among travelers are expected to continue to increase and become ever challenging to treat. ..
- Porat N, Soley C, Marengolciene M, Greenberg D, Givon Lavi N, Trefler R, et al. An international serotype 3 clone causing pediatric noninvasive infections in Israel, Costa Rica, and Lithuania. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008;27:709-12 pubmed publisher..The data presented here describe for the first time the importance of a multidrug-resistant serotype 3 clone, ST505, in noninvasive infections. ..
- Glik A, Masarwa M, Abuful A, Deeb A, Strugatsky R, Farrer L, et al. Essential tremor might be less frequent than Parkinson's disease in North Israel Arab villages. Mov Disord. 2009;24:119-22 pubmed publisher..PD prevalence was 1.44% (95% CI 0.84-2.45). ET is unusually uncommon in this population and possibly even less frequent than PD. The PD prevalence in Wadi Ara is similar to that reported in Western countries. ..