Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on predictive value of tests in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: predictive value of tests
- Sanchez Ramos L, Mentel C, Bertholf R, Kaunitz A, Delke I, Loge C. Human chorionic gonadotropin in cervicovaginal secretions as a predictor of preterm delivery. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2003;83:151-7 pubmed..98). Qualitative and quantitative hCG measurements from cervicovaginal secretions may be useful predictors of preterm birth in symptomatic patients. The qualitative hCG test can be used at the bedside with results obtained in minutes. ..
- Andersen M, Goff B, Lowe K, Scholler N, Bergan L, Drescher C, et al. Use of a Symptom Index, CA125, and HE4 to predict ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2010;116:378-83 pubmed publisher..If positive predictive value is a high priority, testing by CA125 and HE4 prior to imaging may be warranted for women with ovarian cancer symptoms. ..
- Ellis R, Seifert P, Neal C, Pavolka K, Mann J, Malafa M, et al. Periareolar injection for localization of sentinel nodes in breast cancer patients. Breast J. 2004;10:94-100 pubmed..Preoperative lymphoscintigraphy aids in the identification and surgical planning of sentinel node biopsy and provides an objective measure of surgical performance. ..
- Gausden E, Nwachukwu B, Schreiber J, Lorich D, Lane J. Opportunistic Use of CT Imaging for Osteoporosis Screening and Bone Density Assessment: A Qualitative Systematic Review. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017;99:1580-1590 pubmed publisher..However, using diagnostic CT to infer region-specific osteoporosis could be extraordinarily valuable to orthopaedic surgeons and primary care physicians, and merits further research. ..
- Dobson R, Rudick R, Turner B, Schmierer K, Giovannoni G. Assessing treatment response to interferon-?: is there a role for MRI?. Neurology. 2014;82:248-54 pubmed publisher..This can inform treatment decisions before clinical relapses or disease progression. ..
- Green R, Gu X, Kline Rogers E, Froehlich J, Mace P, Gray B, et al. Differences between the pediatric and adult presentation of fibromuscular dysplasia: results from the US Registry. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016;31:641-50 pubmed publisher..In children, FMD most commonly affects the renal vasculature, but also frequently involves the mesenteric arteries and abdominal aorta; the carotid vessels are less frequently involved. ..
- Qadeer M, Vargo J, Patel S, Dumot J, Lopez A, Trolli P, et al. Bispectral index monitoring of conscious sedation with the combination of meperidine and midazolam during endoscopy. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;6:102-8 pubmed..Further refinements in BIS are needed to differentiate deep from moderate sedation for future studies on conscious sedation. ..
- Edell E, Lam S, Pass H, Miller Y, Sutedja T, Kennedy T, et al. Detection and localization of intraepithelial neoplasia and invasive carcinoma using fluorescence-reflectance bronchoscopy: an international, multicenter clinical trial. J Thorac Oncol. 2009;4:49-54 pubmed publisher..A secondary objective was to evaluate the potential use of quantitative image analysis with this device for objective classification of abnormal sites...
- Garcia C, Lefkowits C, Pelkofski E, Blackhall L, Duska L. Prospective screening with the validated Opioid Risk Tool demonstrates gynecologic oncology patients are at low risk for opioid misuse. Gynecol Oncol. 2017;147:456-459 pubmed publisher..Cervical cancer patients were more likely to be moderate to high-risk for misuse. Future screening efforts for opioid misuse may have the highest utility in this subset of patients. ..
- Giannico G, Ross H, Lotan T, Epstein J. Aberrant expression of p63 in adenocarcinoma of the prostate: a radical prostatectomy study. Am J Surg Pathol. 2013;37:1401-6 pubmed publisher..Ki-67 was low, <5% in all cases of p63-PCa, with similar expression in the coexisting acinar-type carcinoma. In summary, it is recommended that these tumors not be assigned a Gleason score and their favorable findings at RP be noted. ..
- Nelson P, Jicha G, Kryscio R, Abner E, Schmitt F, Cooper G, et al. Low sensitivity in clinical diagnoses of dementia with Lewy bodies. J Neurol. 2010;257:359-66 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that further work is needed to refine our ability to identify specific aging-related brain disease mechanisms, especially in DLB. ..
- Partridge E, Kreimer A, Greenlee R, Williams C, Xu J, Church T, et al. Results from four rounds of ovarian cancer screening in a randomized trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2009;113:775-82 pubmed publisher..However, the effect of screening on mortality is as yet unknown. ClinicalTrials.gov, www.clinicaltrials.gov, NCT00002540 II. ..
- Amrock S, Abraham C, Jung E, Morris P, Shapiro M. Risk Factors for Mortality Among Individuals With Peripheral Arterial Disease. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:862-867 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, tobacco use increased the risk of all-cause and cardiovascular death, whereas physical activity was associated with a decreased mortality risk. A low ABI and diabetes were also predictive of cardiovascular death. ..
- Hoda K, Collins J, Knigge K, Deveney K. Predictors of pouchitis after ileal pouch-anal anastomosis: a retrospective review. Dis Colon Rectum. 2008;51:554-60 pubmed publisher..The primary end point of this study was to determine the risk factors that predict chronic pouchitis in those patients having ileal pouch-anal anastomosis...
- Constantiner M, Sehgal A, Humbert L, Constantiner D, Arce L, Sedor J, et al. A dipstick protein and specific gravity algorithm accurately predicts pathological proteinuria. Am J Kidney Dis. 2005;45:833-41 pubmed..A Web-based tool was developed that allows DSP and SG value entry and provides a recommendation regarding the need for proteinuria quantification. ..
- WANAT M, Bonci A, Phillips P. CRF acts in the midbrain to attenuate accumbens dopamine release to rewards but not their predictors. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:383-5 pubmed publisher..CRF in the VTA regulates dopamine output in a stimulus- and pathway-specific manner, offering a mechanism by which acute stress selectively regulates information transmission via the VTA to reprioritize motivated behavior. ..
- Briggs D, Tuttle D, Sleasman J, Goodenow M. Envelope V3 amino acid sequence predicts HIV-1 phenotype (co-receptor usage and tropism for macrophages). AIDS. 2000;14:2937-9 pubmed
- Kidd L, Brock G, VanCleave T, Benford M, Lavender N, Kruer T, et al. Angiogenesis-associated sequence variants relative to breast cancer recurrence and survival. Cancer Causes Control. 2010;21:1545-57 pubmed publisher..Because the VEGF(-2578)C allele is linked to high VEGF expression, this cytokine is a potential prognostic and targeted clinical management tool. ..
- Xiao Z, Lopez R, Parsi M, Dodig M, Stevens T. Comparison of autoanalyzer and back titration for measurement of bicarbonate concentration in endoscopically collected pancreatic fluid. Pancreas. 2011;40:237-41 pubmed publisher..The bicarbonate concentrations obtained by AA are highly concordant with those obtained by BT. Secretin pancreatic function testing fluid analysis may now be performed in any hospital. ..
- Price D, Noblett K. Comparison of the cough stress test and 24-h pad test in the assessment of stress urinary incontinence. Int Urogynecol J. 2012;23:429-33 pubmed publisher..The 24-h pad test and cough stress test are commonly used to assess stress urinary incontinence; however, no comparative data are available. The cough stress test is superior to the 24-h pad test...
- van Wijk D, Boekholdt S, Wareham N, Ahmadi Abhari S, Kastelein J, Stroes E, et al. C-reactive protein, fatal and nonfatal coronary artery disease, stroke, and peripheral artery disease in the prospective EPIC-Norfolk cohort study. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013;33:2888-94 pubmed publisher..Importantly, CRP was significantly more strongly associated with fatal CAD events than with nonfatal CAD events. ..
- Basso D, Beattie M, Bresnahan J. A sensitive and reliable locomotor rating scale for open field testing in rats. J Neurotrauma. 1995;12:1-21 pubmed..The BBB Locomotor Rating Scale offers investigators a more discriminating measure of behavioral outcome to evaluate treatments after spinal cord injury...
- Matta N, Singman E, McCarus C, Matta E, Silbert D. Screening for amblyogenic risk factors using the PlusoptiX S04 photoscreener on the indigent population of Honduras. Ophthalmology. 2010;117:1848-50 pubmed publisher..It also seems to be a useful tool for medical mission work. Vision screening programs likely will find this a useful option when examining children. ..
- Stewart S, Yen C, Stack D, Jenike M. Outcome predictors for severe obsessive-compulsive patients in intensive residential treatment. J Psychiatr Res. 2006;40:511-9 pubmed..Future research is necessary to elucidate putative relationships between gender and OCD psychopathology, and to understand the interplay of psychosocial factors, OCD severity and treatment outcome. ..
- Madder R, VanOosterhout S, Klungle D, Mulder A, Elmore M, Decker J, et al. Multimodality Intracoronary Imaging With Near-Infrared Spectroscopy and Intravascular Ultrasound in Asymptomatic Individuals With High Calcium Scores. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..This study sought to determine the frequency of large lipid-rich plaques (LRP) in the coronary arteries of individuals with high coronary artery calcium scores (CACS) and to determine whether the CACS correlates with coronary lipid burden...
- Atluri D, Asgeri M, Mullen K. Reversibility of hepatic encephalopathy after liver transplantation. Metab Brain Dis. 2010;25:111-3 pubmed publisher..But, enough important exceptions to this rule are occurring to make further research on this topic mandatory. ..
- Moore H, Moore E, Chapman M, Huebner B, Einersen P, Oushy S, et al. Viscoelastic Tissue Plasminogen Activator Challenge Predicts Massive Transfusion in 15 Minutes. J Am Coll Surg. 2017;225:138-147 pubmed publisher..This new method is consistent with our understanding of the molecular events responsible for trauma-induced coagulopathy. ..
- Schoeller D. Making indirect calorimetry a gold standard for predicting energy requirements for institutionalized patients. J Am Diet Assoc. 2007;107:390-2 pubmed
- Hamilton R, Shield C, Laughrun D. Progression of asymptomatic mild carotid artery stenosis: Implications for frequency of surveillance. Vasc Med. 2017;22:411-417 pubmed publisher..One carotid artery (0.2%) progressed from mild CAS to severe CAS. If supported by others, our data may lead to a change in the recommendations regarding appropriate follow-up of asymptomatic CAS...
- Xing J, Spradling P, Moorman A, Holmberg S, Teshale E, Rupp L, et al. A Point System to Forecast Hepatocellular Carcinoma Risk Before and After Treatment Among Persons with Chronic Hepatitis C. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:3221-3234 pubmed publisher..Risk of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) may be difficult to determine in the clinical setting...
- O Malley J, Kumar R, Kuzmin A, Pliss A, Yadav N, Balachandar S, et al. Lipid quantification by Raman microspectroscopy as a potential biomarker in prostate cancer. Cancer Lett. 2017;397:52-60 pubmed publisher..Correlation between lipid accumulation and tumor stage provides quantitative marker for PCa diagnosis. Thus, Raman spectroscopy-based lipid quantification could be a sensitive and reliable tool for PCa diagnosis and staging. ..
- Hubbs Tait L, Kennedy T, Page M, Topham G, Harrist A. Parental feeding practices predict authoritative, authoritarian, and permissive parenting styles. J Am Diet Assoc. 2008;108:1154-61; discussion 1161-2 pubmed publisher..Parental feeding practices with young children predict general parenting styles. Interventions that fail to address underlying parenting styles are not likely to be successful. ..
- Mondello S, Linnet A, Buki A, ROBICSEK S, Gabrielli A, Tepas J, et al. Clinical utility of serum levels of ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolase as a biomarker for severe traumatic brain injury. Neurosurgery. 2012;70:666-75 pubmed publisher..Cumulative serum UCH-L1 levels > 5.22 ng/mL predicted death (odds ratio, 4.8). Serum levels of UCH-L1 appear to have potential clinical utility in diagnosing TBI, including correlating to injury severity and survival outcome. ..
- Stohl H, Lee R, Manetta J, Kikly K, Korst L, Stohl W. Maternal Serum B-Cell Activating Factor Levels: Candidate Early Biomarker for Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy. Hypertension. 2017;70:1007-1013 pubmed publisher..02 versus 0.85; P=0.012), with the area under the receiver operating characteristic curve being 0.709. First-trimester serum BAFF level may be an early and clinically useful predictor of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy. ..
- Hattemer A, Hauser A, Diaz M, Scheetz M, Shah N, Allen J, et al. Bacterial and clinical characteristics of health care- and community-acquired bloodstream infections due to Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57:3969-75 pubmed publisher..Severity of illness and expression of TTS proteins were the strongest predictors of the 30-day mortality rate due to P. aeruginosa bacteremia. Future P. aeruginosa bacteremia trials designed to neutralize TTS proteins are warranted. ..
- Huckins D, Simon H, Copeland K, Spiro D, Gogain J, Wandell M. A novel biomarker panel to rule out acute appendicitis in pediatric patients with abdominal pain. Am J Emerg Med. 2013;31:1368-75 pubmed publisher..To identify a biomarker panel with sufficient sensitivity and negative predictive value to identify children with abdominal pain at low risk for acute appendicitis in order to avoid unnecessary imaging...
- Maheshwari K, You J, Cummings K, Argalious M, Sessler D, Kurz A, et al. Attempted Development of a Tool to Predict Anesthesia Preparation Time From Patient-Related and Procedure-Related Characteristics. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:580-592 pubmed publisher..34 for the training data set and 0.27 for the testing data set. Using preoperative factors, we could explain only about a quarter of the variance in anesthesia preparation time-an amount that is probably of limited clinical value. ..
- Dogeas E, Karagkounis G, Heaphy C, Hirose K, Pawlik T, Wolfgang C, et al. Alternative lengthening of telomeres predicts site of origin in neuroendocrine tumor liver metastases. J Am Coll Surg. 2014;218:628-35 pubmed publisher..Alternative lengthening of telomeres was found to be a useful biomarker in patients with NELM. This marker can be helpful in guiding therapy by identifying the site of origin in patients in whom the primary site is unknown. ..
- Petrelli N, Michalek A, Freedman A, Baroni M, Mink I, Rodriguez Bigas M. Immunochemical versus guaiac occult blood stool tests: results of a community-based screening program. Surg Oncol. 1994;3:27-36 pubmed..While there was no increase in the positive predicted value for adenomatous polyps < or = 1 cm, there was a direct linear increase for adenomatous polyps > 1 cm. ..
- Balasubramanian G, Singh M, Gupta N, Gaddam S, Giacchino M, Wani S, et al. Prevalence and predictors of columnar lined esophagus in gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) patients undergoing upper endoscopy. Am J Gastroenterol. 2012;107:1655-61 pubmed publisher..The objective of this study was to prospectively evaluate the prevalence and risk factors of CLE in a large cohort of GERD patients undergoing upper endoscopy...
- Cotton B, Beckert B, Smith M, Burd R. The utility of clinical and laboratory data for predicting intraabdominal injury among children. J Trauma. 2004;56:1068-74; discussion 1074-5 pubmed..The purpose of this study was to determine the utility of clinical and laboratory data for predicting the risk for IAI...
- McGinnis P, Wainwright S, Hack L, Nixon Cave K, Michlovitz S. Use of a Delphi panel to establish consensus for recommended uses of selected balance assessment approaches. Physiother Theory Pract. 2010;26:358-73 pubmed publisher..The outcomes of the Delphi process form a basis for recommended practice in the examination of patients with balance deficits and serve as a starting point in the development of evidence-based practice guidelines...
- Mondello S, Robicsek S, Gabrielli A, Brophy G, Papa L, Tepas J, et al. ?II-spectrin breakdown products (SBDPs): diagnosis and outcome in severe traumatic brain injury patients. J Neurotrauma. 2010;27:1203-13 pubmed publisher..The time course of SBDPs in nonsurvivors also differed from that of survivors. These results suggest that CSF SBDP levels can predict injury severity and mortality after severe TBI, and can be useful complements to clinical assessment. ..
- Alexandrov A, Tsivgoulis G, Rubiera M, Vadikolias K, Stamboulis E, Molina C, et al. End-diastolic velocity increase predicts recanalization and neurological improvement in patients with ischemic stroke with proximal arterial occlusions receiving reperfusion therapies. Stroke. 2010;41:948-52 pubmed publisher..Diastolic flow augmentation may represent a novel target for development of reperfusion therapies. ..
- Smith J, Xiong S, Markesbery W, Lovell M. Altered expression of zinc transporters-4 and -6 in mild cognitive impairment, early and late Alzheimer's disease brain. Neuroscience. 2006;140:879-88 pubmed..05) increased in hippocampus/parahippocampal gyrus of early Alzheimer's disease and Alzheimer's disease subjects. Zn transporter-6 is also increased (P<0.1) in the superior and middle temporal gyrus of Alzheimer's disease brain. ..
- Krzyzanski W, Perez Ruixo J. An assessment of recombinant human erythropoietin effect on reticulocyte production rate and lifespan distribution in healthy subjects. Pharm Res. 2007;24:758-72 pubmed..An empirical pharmacodynamic model was developed to assess the effect of recombinant human erythropoietin (rHu-EPO) treatment on the reticulocyte production rate and lifespan distribution...
- Cappello Z, Kasdan M, Louis D. Meta-analysis of imaging techniques for the diagnosis of complex regional pain syndrome type I. J Hand Surg Am. 2012;37:288-96 pubmed publisher..To compare the effectiveness of imaging techniques in aiding and confirming the diagnosis of complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) type I...
- Samii V, Dyce J. Computed tomographic arthrography of the normal canine stifle. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2004;45:402-6 pubmed..The medial and lateral collateral ligaments were not clearly identified on CT or CTA multiplanar reconstructed images...
- Hittner J, Hemmo R. Psychosocial predictors of dental anxiety. J Health Psychol. 2009;14:53-9 pubmed publisher..Possible strategies for reducing both thought suppression and exaggerated levels of internal health locus of control were discussed. ..
- Turnipseed W. Functional popliteal artery entrapment syndrome: A poorly understood and often missed diagnosis that is frequently mistreated. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49:1189-95 pubmed publisher..It is commonly confused with chronic recurrent exertional compartment syndrome (CRECS). This study evaluated the diagnostic testing, mechanism of injury, and treatment differences between FPAES and CRECS...
- Rowe J, Cheah A, Calhoun B. Lipomatous tumors of the breast: A contemporary review. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2017;34:453-461 pubmed publisher..This article will review the spectrum fat-containing tumors of the breast with an emphasis on differential diagnosis and insights from recent molecular studies. ..
- Troxell M. Merkel cell carcinoma, melanoma, metastatic mimics of breast cancer. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2017;34:479-495 pubmed publisher..Careful correlation with clinical history and judicious use of immunostain panels is essential in approaching these cases. ..
- Austin C, Burger C, Kane G, Safford R, Blackshear J, Ung R, et al. High-risk echocardiographic features predict mortality in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Am Heart J. 2017;189:167-176 pubmed publisher..When seen in combination, these features greatly increase risk of mortality in PAH and may lead to more timely enhanced therapy for patients identified as having an increased risk for death. ..
- Aghel A, Shrestha K, Mullens W, Borowski A, Tang W. Serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) in predicting worsening renal function in acute decompensated heart failure. J Card Fail. 2010;16:49-54 pubmed publisher..The presence of elevated admission serum NGAL levels is associated with heightened risk of subsequent development of WRF in patients admitted with ADHF. ..
- Guild C, DeShazo M, Geraci S. Negative predictive value of cardiac troponin for predicting adverse cardiac events following blunt chest trauma. South Med J. 2014;107:52-6 pubmed publisher..This could allow for early discharge after a 24-hour observation period in otherwise uncomplicated blunt chest trauma patients and avoid the need for more expensive cardiac imaging and additional resource utilization...
- Nelson H, Helfand M. Screening for chlamydial infection. Am J Prev Med. 2001;20:95-107 pubmed