Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on potyvirus in France
- Ballut L, Drucker M, Pugniere M, Cambon F, Blanc S, Roquet F, et al. HcPro, a multifunctional protein encoded by a plant RNA virus, targets the 20S proteasome and affects its enzymic activities. J Gen Virol. 2005;86:2595-603 pubmed
- Fabre F, Chadoeuf J, Costa C, Lecoq H, Desbiez C. Asymmetrical over-infection as a process of plant virus emergence. J Theor Biol. 2010;265:377-88 pubmed publisher..In most simulations a shift is observed and both strains do coexist in the landscape, reaching an equilibrium that depends on the probabilities of over-infection. ..
- German Retana S, Walter J, Doublet B, Roudet Tavert G, Nicaise V, Lecampion C, et al. Mutational analysis of plant cap-binding protein eIF4E reveals key amino acids involved in biochemical functions and potyvirus infection. J Virol. 2008;82:7601-12 pubmed publisher..In addition to providing a functional mutational map of a plant eIF4E, this suggests that the role of eIF4E in the LMV cycle might be distinct from its physiological function in cellular mRNA translation...
- Bousalem M, Douzery E, Fargette D. High genetic diversity, distant phylogenetic relationships and intraspecies recombination events among natural populations of Yam mosaic virus: a contribution to understanding potyvirus evolution. J Gen Virol. 2000;81:243-55 pubmed..We hypothesise an African origin of YMV from the yam complex D. cayenensis-D. rotundata, followed by independent transfers to D. alata and D. trifida during virus evolution. ..
- Janzac B, Fabre M, Palloix A, Moury B. Characterization of a new potyvirus infecting pepper crops in Ecuador. Arch Virol. 2008;153:1543-8 pubmed publisher..The isolate was shown to be infectious in tobacco, tomato and, contrary to PVV, in pepper. The pvr2(1), pvr2(2), and Pvr4 genes present in many pepper cultivars conferred resistance toward this isolate and could help control ERV. ..
- Abdul Razzak A, Guiraud T, Peypelut M, Walter J, Houvenaghel M, Candresse T, et al. Involvement of the cylindrical inclusion (CI) protein in the overcoming of an eIF4E-mediated resistance against Lettuce mosaic potyvirus. Mol Plant Pathol. 2009;10:109-13 pubmed publisher..Site-directed mutagenesis pinpointed a key role of the amino acid at position 621 in the virulence. This is the first example of the involvement of a potyviral CI protein in the breaking of an eIF4E-mediated resistance. ..
- Hebrard E, Bessin Y, Michon T, Longhi S, Uversky V, Delalande F, et al. Intrinsic disorder in Viral Proteins Genome-Linked: experimental and predictive analyses. Virol J. 2009;6:23 pubmed publisher..To date, structural data are still limited to small picornaviral VPgs. Recently three phytoviral VPgs were shown to be natively unfolded proteins...
- Gallois J, Charron C, Sánchez F, Pagny G, Houvenaghel M, Moretti A, et al. Single amino acid changes in the turnip mosaic virus viral genome-linked protein (VPg) confer virulence towards Arabidopsis thaliana mutants knocked out for eukaryotic initiation factors eIF(iso)4E and eIF(iso)4G. J Gen Virol. 2010;91:288-93 pubmed publisher..thaliana eIF4Es and VPgs of virulent and avirulent TuMVs was performed. The results suggest that virulent TuMV variants may use an eIF4F-independent pathway. ..
- Quenouille J, Vassilakos N, Moury B. Potato virus Y: a major crop pathogen that has provided major insights into the evolution of viral pathogenicity. Mol Plant Pathol. 2013;14:439-52 pubmed publisher..Notably, recessive and dominant major resistance genes show highly contrasting patterns of interaction with PVY populations, displaying rapid co-evolution or stable relationships, respectively. ..
- Gauffier C, Lebaron C, Moretti A, Constant C, Moquet F, Bonnet G, et al. A TILLING approach to generate broad-spectrum resistance to potyviruses in tomato is hampered by eIF4E gene redundancy. Plant J. 2016;85:717-29 pubmed publisher..It may be more effective to use alleles encoding functional variants similar to those found in natural diversity. ..
- Grzela R, Szolajska E, Ebel C, Madern D, Favier A, Wojtal I, et al. Virulence factor of potato virus Y, genome-attached terminal protein VPg, is a highly disordered protein. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:213-21 pubmed..These data strongly suggest that the VPg of PVY should be classified among intrinsically disordered proteins. Intrinsic disorder lies at the basis of VPg multifunctionality, which is necessary for virus survival in the host...
- Duprat A, Caranta C, Revers F, Menand B, Browning K, Robaglia C. The Arabidopsis eukaryotic initiation factor (iso)4E is dispensable for plant growth but required for susceptibility to potyviruses. Plant J. 2002;32:927-34 pubmed
- Mazier M, German Retana S, Flamain F, Dubois V, Botton E, Sarnette V, et al. A simple and efficient method for testing Lettuce mosaic virus resistance in in vitro cultivated lettuce. J Virol Methods. 2004;116:123-31 pubmed..The main advantages of this method are reduced space requirements and an improved environmental safety, especially for the handling of recombinant virus, of quarantine virus or of transgenic plants. ..
- Pageau K, Reisdorf Cren M, Morot Gaudry J, Masclaux Daubresse C. The two senescence-related markers, GS1 (cytosolic glutamine synthetase) and GDH (glutamate dehydrogenase), involved in nitrogen mobilization, are differentially regulated during pathogen attack and by stress hormones and reactive oxygen species in N. J Exp Bot. 2006;57:547-57 pubmed..The links between natural plant senescence and stress-induced senescence are discussed, as well as the potential role of GS1 and GDH in a metabolic safeguard process. ..
- Ruffel S, Gallois J, Moury B, Robaglia C, Palloix A, Caranta C. Simultaneous mutations in translation initiation factors eIF4E and eIF(iso)4E are required to prevent pepper veinal mottle virus infection of pepper. J Gen Virol. 2006;87:2089-98 pubmed publisher..Thus, whilst most potyviruses specifically require one eIF4E isoform to perform their replication cycle, PVMV uses either eIF4E or eIF(iso)4E for infection of pepper...
- Roudet Tavert G, German Retana S, Delaunay T, Delécolle B, Candresse T, Le Gall O. Interaction between potyvirus helper component-proteinase and capsid protein in infected plants. J Gen Virol. 2002;83:1765-70 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that the interaction detected between CP and HcPro might be involved in a process of the potyvirus cycle different from aphid transmission. ..
- Nicaise V, Gallois J, Chafiai F, Allen L, Schurdi Levraud V, Browning K, et al. Coordinated and selective recruitment of eIF4E and eIF4G factors for potyvirus infection in Arabidopsis thaliana. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:1041-6 pubmed..Moreover, the eIF4G selective involvement parallels eIF4E recruitment. This is the first report of a coordinated and selective recruitment of eIF4E and eIF4G factors, suggesting the whole eIF4F recruitment. ..
- Roudet Tavert G, Michon T, Walter J, Delaunay T, Redondo E, Le Gall O. Central domain of a potyvirus VPg is involved in the interaction with the host translation initiation factor eIF4E and the viral protein HcPro. J Gen Virol. 2007;88:1029-33 pubmed publisher..The structure of this domain in the VPg context was predicted to include an amphiphilic alpha-helix, with the amino acids related to biological functions in various potyviruses exposed at the hydrophilic side...
- Caranta C, Thabuis A, Palloix A. Development of a CAPS marker for the Pvr4 locus: a tool for pyramiding potyvirus resistance genes in pepper. Genome. 1999;42:1111-6 pubmed..We have further characterized the relevance of the CAPS marker for MAS programs in different pepper breeding lines. ..
- Charron C, Nicola M, Gallois J, Robaglia C, Moury B, Palloix A, et al. Natural variation and functional analyses provide evidence for co-evolution between plant eIF4E and potyviral VPg. Plant J. 2008;54:56-68 pubmed publisher..annuum eIF4E proteins further shows that amino acid changes did not impede essential eIF4E functions. Altogether, these results argue in favour of a co-evolutionary 'arms race' between Capsicum eIF4E and potyviral VPg...
- Rolland M, Glais L, Kerlan C, Jacquot E. A multiple single nucleotide polymorphisms interrogation assay for reliable Potato virus Y group and variant characterization. J Virol Methods. 2008;147:108-17 pubmed
- Teycheney P, Tepfer M. Virus-specific spatial differences in the interference with silencing of the chs-A gene in non-transgenic petunia. J Gen Virol. 2001;82:1239-43 pubmed..Our results show that virus infection can interfere with PTGS of a native plant gene, and that this can have profound effects on symptom expression. ..
- Quenouille J, Montarry J, Palloix A, Moury B. Farther, slower, stronger: how the plant genetic background protects a major resistance gene from breakdown. Mol Plant Pathol. 2013;14:109-18 pubmed publisher..The relevance of these results for other plant-pathogen systems and their importance in plant breeding are discussed. ..
- Moury B, Morel C, Johansen E, Jacquemond M. Evidence for diversifying selection in Potato virus Y and in the coat protein of other potyviruses. J Gen Virol. 2002;83:2563-73 pubmed..The hypothesis of a link between evolutionary constraints due to host plants and occurrence of diversifying selection is discussed. ..
- Revers F, Yang S, Walter J, Souche S, Lot H, Le Gall O, et al. Comparison of the complete nucleotide sequences of two isolates of lettuce mosaic virus differing in their biological properties. Virus Res. 1997;47:167-77 pubmed
- Fabre F, Montarry J, Coville J, Senoussi R, Simon V, Moury B. Modelling the evolutionary dynamics of viruses within their hosts: a case study using high-throughput sequencing. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002654 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study showed that mathematical models can accurately describe both selection and genetic drift processes shaping the evolutionary dynamics of viruses within their hosts. ..
- Mazier M, Flamain F, Nicola M, Sarnette V, Caranta C. Knock-down of both eIF4E1 and eIF4E2 genes confers broad-spectrum resistance against potyviruses in tomato. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e29595 pubmed publisher..These experiments provide evidence for the involvement of both eIF4E1 and eIF4E2 in broad spectrum resistance of tomato against potyviruses and suggest a role for eIF4E2 in tomato-potyvirus interactions...
- Jay F, Wang Y, Yu A, Taconnat L, Pelletier S, Colot V, et al. Misregulation of AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR 8 underlies the developmental abnormalities caused by three distinct viral silencing suppressors in Arabidopsis. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002035 pubmed publisher..These findings have important implications for our understanding of viral disease symptoms and small RNA-directed regulation of plant growth/development. ..
- Nicaise V, German Retana S, Sanju n R, Dubrana M, Mazier M, Maisonneuve B, et al. The eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E controls lettuce susceptibility to the Potyvirus Lettuce mosaic virus. Plant Physiol. 2003;132:1272-82 pubmed..More generally, the isoforms of eIF4E appear to be host factors involved in the cycle of potyviruses in plants, probably through a general mechanism yet to be clarified...
- Moury B, Caromel B, Johansen E, Simon V, Chauvin L, Jacquot E, et al. The helper component proteinase cistron of Potato virus Y induces hypersensitivity and resistance in Potato genotypes carrying dominant resistance genes on chromosome IV. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2011;24:787-97 pubmed publisher..Therefore, this emergence could constitute one of the rare examples of resistance breakdown by a virus which was caused by recombination instead of by successive accumulation of nucleotide substitutions. ..
- Cosson P, Sofer L, Le Q, Léger V, Schurdi Levraud V, Whitham S, et al. RTM3, which controls long-distance movement of potyviruses, is a member of a new plant gene family encoding a meprin and TRAF homology domain-containing protein. Plant Physiol. 2010;154:222-32 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these observations strongly suggest the RTM proteins might form a multiprotein complex in the resistance mechanism to block the long-distance movement of potyviruses...
- Balme Sinibaldi V, Tribodet M, Croizat F, Lefeuvre P, Kerlan C, Jacquot E. Improvement of Potato virus Y (PVY) detection and quantitation using PVY(N)- and PVY(O)-specific real-time RT-PCR assays. J Virol Methods. 2006;134:261-6 pubmed
- Rubio M, Nicolaï M, Caranta C, Palloix A. Allele mining in the pepper gene pool provided new complementation effects between pvr2-eIF4E and pvr6-eIF(iso)4E alleles for resistance to pepper veinal mottle virus. J Gen Virol. 2009;90:2808-14 pubmed publisher..The availability of new resistant allele combinations increases the possibility for the durable deployment of resistance against this pepper virus which is prevalent in Africa...
- Palloix A, Ayme V, Moury B. Durability of plant major resistance genes to pathogens depends on the genetic background, experimental evidence and consequences for breeding strategies. New Phytol. 2009;183:190-9 pubmed publisher..Polygenic resistance proved more durable than monogenic resistance, but breeding strategies giving priority to major resistance factors may jeopardize the progress in durability expected from polygenic resistance. ..
- Rolland M, Kerlan C, Jacquot E. The acquisition of molecular determinants involved in potato virus Y necrosis capacity leads to fitness reduction in tobacco plants. J Gen Virol. 2009;90:244-52 pubmed publisher..The opposite result was obtained in the host responding to the infection with necrosis. These results indicate that the emergence of necrotic isolates from a non-necrotic population is unlikely in tobacco. ..
- Navarro L, Jay F, Nomura K, He S, Voinnet O. Suppression of the microRNA pathway by bacterial effector proteins. Science. 2008;321:964-7 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that, like viruses, bacteria have evolved to suppress RNA silencing to cause disease. ..
- Montarry J, Doumayrou J, Simon V, Moury B. Genetic background matters: a plant-virus gene-for-gene interaction is strongly influenced by genetic contexts. Mol Plant Pathol. 2011;12:911-20 pubmed publisher..In a broader context, the PVY CI coding region is one of the first identified genetic factors to determine the evolvability of a plant virus. ..